Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever you think of Bercow it is right that the executive ha

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Mr. Pulpstar, isn't that a daft amendment to allow, though? It's contrary to the withdrawal agreement.

Ordinarily I'd say yes, but we're a long long way past worrying about that on all sides now (Hard Remain, Hard Brexit, Gov't).
    There's value in the amendments that would ordinarily be a nonsense to test the will of the house for various options.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    kinabalu said:

Morning all. Big big day! And how is this for commitment? My MP, Tulip Sadiq, has delayed giving birth in order to vote ‘No’. That is how eager she is to reject an orderly exit from the European Union on time and in accordance with the 2016 referendum. She is clearly far from alone in that sentiment. It does appear that the fact of defeat is certain, only the margin is a suitable topic of debate, on which btw I note no market from the pussies at Sporting Index, and of course what Plan B is going to be.

A word of caution from me, however, to those heavily invested, financially or emotionally, in there NOT being a smooth and timely exit from the EU. Consider the example of that other big ‘EU’ vote, one of my favourite events of the year, the Eurovision Song Contest. When that comes around all people of sound mind and good character are aware that it is a MASSIVE advantage to be the final act up. Why? Because your contribution is freshest in the minds of the electorate when they vote. So long as your contribution is strong you have an excellent chance of winning.

So who has the golden position in the MV debate? Who is slated to wind up? It’s a certain Theresa May, our Prime Minister, and what Eurovision teaches is that she can swing it if her speech is so powerful that it blows the House down. That is therefore the challenge for Mrs May. She needs to be Abba’s ‘Waterloo’ rather than, as has sadly been the case with her thus far, Gina G’s ‘Ooh Aah Just A Little Bit’. Can she deliver? Unlikely, but the possibility that she can, and hence the prospect of a negotiated exit from the EU on time and on budget and in accordance with the 2016 referendum, should not be discounted entirely.

I may win on the roundabout
    Then I'll lose on the swings
    In or out, there is never a doubt
    Just who's pulling the strings
    I'm all tied up to you
    But where's it leading me to?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Anazina said:

DavidL said:

Anything much happening to day. I heard there is some insignificant business in the HoC, but other than that, not much. How about a discussion on boxed wine instead?

Very dangerous stuff in my experience. Far too easy to just have another glass. It is a saving for me that bottles have a bottom that is not too far from the top.
    On wine, as a teetotaler I know nothing - but the Good Lady Wifi say that the M&S Japanese 2016 Sol Lucet Koshu Kurambon Wine is immensely quaffable.
    Mark, have you never drunk or is being teetotal a decision you made later in life?
    Just a life-long faddy. Can't stand the taste or worse - the smell. Have a real violent reaction to it. Same with tea and coffee. Since I was a kid.

I think it is a weird thing in my genes. My father couldn't be in the same room as cheese. The smell again....

Made it easy going to dry countries. Until my hosts showed me their extensive drinks cabinets - and got slightly alarmed that I might be with the secret police when I said I didn't drink.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Anazina said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Winter is indeed coming.

Shamelessly cherry picking the day 8 chart from this morning's ECMWF.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/ECMOPEU00_192_1.png
    lol!

Great to see a fellow weather fan on here. Yes, the euro run last night was a picture. Shame that that killjoy Trumpton appears to have spiked the GFS!
    You're not on net-weather too are you?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

DavidL said:

Of course what the Withdrawal Act and now the Grieve amendment require is a statement from a minister about what they intend to do next. It is possible, I suppose, that that statement will amount to, well, we will have another chat with the EU, see what we get and try again.

Provided that the government does not lose a VonC there are limits to what the HoC can do.

What's the worst that happens if May stands up and effectively says "nothing has changed"? Her Government gets held in contempt of Parliament? Again?
    Two options: the majority of MPs who evidently lack confidence in her government are able to take sufficient control of house business to instruct the government to do something different to avoid no deal. In which case they do that. Or they are unable to do so, in which case Tories who can’t accept her current approach have a choice between [resigning from the party and] voting no confidence as the only remaining sanction, or admitting that they don’t actually care about it quite enough to jeopardise their careers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    My parents experienced being tear-gassed for the first ever time in Lyon on Saturday, due to the huge demonstration.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    murali_s said:

Anazina said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Winter is indeed coming.

Shamelessly cherry picking the day 8 chart from this morning's ECMWF.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/ECMOPEU00_192_1.png
    lol!

Great to see a fellow weather fan on here. Yes, the euro run last night was a picture. Shame that that killjoy Trumpton appears to have spiked the GFS!
    You're not on net-weather too are you?
    I dabble!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited January 2019
    TGOHF said:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1085065153035583488

Note the heavy overlap of signatories with my list of uncommitted MPs. This looks like a list of MPs who would like to be loyal but are struggling to do so.

Useful thing for May to stick under Mutti's nose.

"There is a way out, Angela....."

The amendment is an opportunity for MPs to vote for a No Deal Brexit, nothing more.

It is an opportunity for MPs to highlight that there is a particular aspect of the current deal that is preventing them from supporting it.

We know that already. Those supporting it are supporting a No Deal Brexit. Presumably it’s an attempt to pin the blame on the EU27 for the consequences. I doubt it will work. That ship has sailed.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, isn't that a daft amendment to allow, though? It's contrary to the withdrawal agreement.

Ordinarily I'd say yes, but we're a long long way past worrying about that on all sides now (Hard Remain, Hard Brexit, Gov't).
    There's value in the amendments that would ordinarily be a nonsense to test the will of the house for various options.

The House has already voted to Leave on March 29th. So it's Deal or No Deal.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Note the heavy overlap of signatories with my list of uncommitted MPs. This looks like a list of MPs who would like to be loyal but are struggling to do so.

The amendment is an opportunity for MPs to vote for a No Deal Brexit, nothing more.

It is an opportunity for MPs to highlight that there is a particular aspect of the current deal that is preventing them from supporting it.

We know that already. Those supporting it are supporting a No Deal Brexit. Presumably it’s an attempt to pin the blame on the EU27 for the consequences. I doubt it will work. That ship has sailed.

No - there are some who would support the deal if there was an end date or unilateral notice period.

Which isn't a no deal Brexit.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    AndyJS said:

The government won't be happy with this tweet coming a few hours before the vote.

https://twitter.com/ReutersUK/status/1085121753729388544

The EU would respond, fairly enough, by saying there's nothing they could offer that would satisfy the Commons.

Dropping the backstop would get the DUP and some Conservatives back on board, but other MPs would still vote against for one reason or another.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

DavidL said:

Of course what the Withdrawal Act and now the Grieve amendment require is a statement from a minister about what they intend to do next. It is possible, I suppose, that that statement will amount to, well, we will have another chat with the EU, see what we get and try again.

Provided that the government does not lose a VonC there are limits to what the HoC can do.

What's the worst that happens if May stands up and effectively says "nothing has changed"? Her Government gets held in contempt of Parliament? Again?
    Two options: the majority of MPs who evidently lack confidence in her government are able to take sufficient control of house business to instruct the government to do something different to avoid no deal. In which case they do that. Or they are unable to do so, in which case Tories who can’t accept her current approach have a choice between [resigning from the party and] voting no confidence as the only remaining sanction, or admitting that they don’t actually care about it quite enough to jeopardise their careers.

The latter, without doubt. Most MPs in most parties are career politicians. That, above all else, is why we’re heading to No Deal.

• Options

BBC just now - "Germany's Forign Minister suggest new Brexit talks....."

EU blinking?

Peace in Our Time?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

The government won't be happy with this tweet coming a few hours before the vote.

The EU would respond, fairly enough, by saying there's nothing they could offer that would satisfy the Commons.

May would take that - shifts all the blame onto the EU...

• Options

This amendment makes absolutely no sense to me. Can someone explain it?
    It’s an attempt to deal with the EU’s reluctance to negotiate further until the U.K. has a unified position that will pass Parliament. If the amendment passes, then it wrecks the Bill, which means the Bill could pass because it no longer implements the WA. May can then say ‘look, the backstop really is the only problem, can’t you get rid of it?’

If that cunning plan works, it also means we never see how badly the WA is defeated, which in turn means that the EU say ‘but you haven’t voted on our agreement, so we’re not doing anything else until you have that vote.’
  • Options
    Of course, the government’s support for the Murrison amendment - tacit or overt - shows precisely why the EU feels the backstop is necessary. The UK cannot be trusted to stick with agreements it has made.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The House has already voted to Leave on March 29th. So it's Deal or No Deal.
    Well, Betfair now implies a probability of only 18% that we'll leave by March 29.

So if you're right, you'll be able to make a killing.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

If that cunning plan works, it also means we never see how badly the WA is defeated, which in turn means that the EU say ‘but you haven’t voted on our agreement, so we’re not doing anything else until you have that vote.’
    Depends which order the votes are held.

That amendment could be voted on after the vote on May's deal..
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Polruan said:

It’s an attempt to deal with the EU’s reluctance to negotiate further until the U.K. has a unified position that will pass Parliament. If the amendment passes, then it wrecks the Bill, which means the Bill could pass because it no longer implements the WA. May can then say ‘look, the backstop really is the only problem, can’t you get rid of it?’

Plus it specifically creates a side-deal to the deal which means that the govt would be negotiating and ratifying the deal (if it did) in bad faith.

Oh, as I see @Southam has noted also.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That is stating the obvious
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kinabalu said:

So who has the golden position in the MV debate? Who is slated to wind up? It’s a certain Theresa May, our Prime Minister, and what Eurovision teaches is that she can swing it if her speech is so powerful that it blows the House down. That is therefore the challenge for Mrs May. She needs to be Abba’s ‘Waterloo’ rather than, as has sadly been the case with her thus far, Gina G’s ‘Ooh Aah Just A Little Bit’. Can she deliver?

#qtwtain
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Yep - it’s a vote for a No Deal.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2019

AndyJS said:

That is stating the obvious
    I agree, but some MPs are saying the reason the Deal must be accepted is because there's no chance of any movement from the EU.
  • Options

Of course, the government’s support for the Murrison amendment - tacit or overt - shows precisely why the EU feels the backstop is necessary. The UK cannot be trusted to stick with agreements it has made.

Any agreement between Barnier and Robbins is made with the assumption that it has to be agreed by Parly.

So there is no agreement to be broken - yet.
  • Options

Polruan said:

No it isn't. There will be an A50 extension if it looks like no deal is getting anywhere close.

Not sure how many times this can be said but no deal is an impossibility.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Polruan said:

Depends which order the votes are held.

That amendment could be voted on after the vote on May's deal..
    Does that work procedurally? I didn’t think the house could reject something, then amend it and accept it. Would the government have to reintroduce it with the amendment?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I think that these soft Brexiteer amendments are the key metric to watch tonight.

The number of switchers who vote down May's deal but support these amendments (assuming Bercow allows them to proceed to vote) could show the most likely way forward.

All roads lead to WTO Brexit which then allows for parallel negotiations with the EU of a Withdrawal Deal and a Free Trade Deal.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Functionally that’s probably true but many of those backing it would genuinely believe it’s a vote to use the threat of no deal to get the EU to cave on the point that’s preventing agreement.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I think that these soft Brexiteer amendments are the key metric to watch tonight.

The number of switchers who vote down May's deal but support these amendments (assuming Bercow allows them to proceed to vote) could show the most likely way forward.

All roads lead to WTO Brexit which then allows for parallel negotiations with the EU of a Withdrawal Deal and a Free Trade Deal.
    Yep, and they’ll, be delighted to point to the withdrawal deal that they’ve already offered us and invite us to sign it.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Functionally that’s probably true but many of those backing it would genuinely believe it’s a vote to use the threat of no deal to get the EU to cave on the point that’s preventing agreement.

Yep, I am sure they would. The levels of delusion around Brexit are vast and never-ending.

• Options

TGOHF said:

For the government its better to have a no deal with the EU having rejected flexibility than a no deal without the EU having done so...

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

No, the Grieve amendment specifies more than just a statement, there has to be a motion tabled within three days (and that motion can, I think, be amended). So parliament will have the opportunity to actually decide something, should it so wish.
    But as even Bercow conceded a motion does not override a statute. Suppose the HoC voted for a second referendum in an amendment to the motion. The European Union Withdrawal Act 2018 would continue to apply. Furthermore such a referendum would itself require primary legislation and funding. As I said, short of bringing the government down, there are limits to what the HoC can do.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

No it isn't. There will be an A50 extension if it looks like no deal is getting anywhere close.

I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again. Why when an extension requires all 27 EU countries to vote for it is everyone so sure that 1 country won't veto it...
  • Options
    edited January 2019

TGOHF said:

The road to WTO Brexit is a dead end a mile and a half short of an actual WTO Brexit.

Just not going to happen. I know it's easy and fun and makes people feel good to give it the "fuck 'em, that'll show them" kind of attitude and it is in any case typical of internet chatrooms where people often vent their fantasies about what they want to happen rather than what might happen.

But a moment's contemplation of what a WTO/No Deal Brexit would actually mean should lead sane types to understand that it ain't going to happen. Or at least ain't with the HoC as currently constituted.

If we had 650 John Redwoods then perhaps things would be different.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

May will never ask for an extension. That would finish her off.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

I would like to think so but remember an A50 extension can only come from TM and she is opposed to it (at present)
  • Options
    I fully agree with Mike's post. I don't like Bercow personally, but he is right to defend the House against a Prime Minister who has tried to marginalise it and has insulted it
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Any agreement between Barnier and Robbins is made with the assumption that it has to be agreed by Parly.

The government has agreed. It is now seemingly supporting an amendment that would render what it had agreed to void. It cannot be trusted.

• Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again. Why when an extension requires all 27 EU countries to vote for it is everyone so sure that 1 country won't veto it...
    I can't see May surviving as PM if her vote goes down and her first move is to ask for an extension unless there is a clear route to a deal - ie some of the backstop amendments being close to passing.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    DavidL said:

As I said, short of bringing the government down, there are limits to what the HoC can do.

Bercow might decide he wishes to be perhaps the most significant parliamentarian since Cromwell and tilt real power away from the Gov't to the House though. The whole revoking Art 50 through a backbench bill/opposition day motion might not be far off the mark...
  • Options
    Witness for the defence (prosecution?):

"A managed ‘no deal’ is a fantasy - we would face immediate delivery shortages, disruption, additional costs and uncertainty."

Mike Hawes, chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

The road to WTO Brexit is a dead end a mile and a half short of an actual WTO Brexit.

Just not going to happen. I know it's easy and fun and makes people feel good to give it the "fuck 'em, that'll show them" kind of attitude and it is in any case typical of internet chatrooms where people often vent their fantasies about what they want to happen rather than what might happen.

But a moment's contemplation of what a WTO/No Deal Brexit would actually mean should lead sane types to understand that it ain't going to happen. Or at least ain't with the HoC as currently constituted.

If we had 650 John Redwoods then Brexit would be the least of our problems
  • Options
    eek said:

There's no certainty, but on the relatively minor question of an extension, there would be a very strong wish in the EU to remain united, and so the probability is that it would pass (assuming there's a good reason for it). But no guarantee, of course.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited January 2019

Polruan said:

In which case it doesn't pass - I've been told constantly that there's no majority for no deal.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

The government has agreed. It is now seemingly supporting an amendment that would render what it had agreed to void. It cannot be trusted.

The government can agree - but it can't sign up until the House has given its consent.

You can wilfully ignore this but its always an overt rule of the negotiation.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

How does that work practically? As you said earlier, and I probably agree, the one thing that career politicians won’t do is vote no confidence in their own party’s government. The DUP aren’t interested in a GE unless it’s their only way of stopping a deal they don’t like. There can’t be a leadership challenge for 11 months. So how can May be finished off?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

I would like to think so but remember an A50 extension can only come from TM and she is opposed to it (at present)
    May or the PM?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,627
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No, the Grieve amendment specifies more than just a statement, there has to be a motion tabled within three days (and that motion can, I think, be amended). So parliament will have the opportunity to actually decide something, should it so wish.
    But as even Bercow conceded a motion does not override a statute. Suppose the HoC voted for a second referendum in an amendment to the motion. The European Union Withdrawal Act 2018 would continue to apply. Furthermore such a referendum would itself require primary legislation and funding. As I said, short of bringing the government down, there are limits to what the HoC can do.
    Demonstrating a majority in the House for such a motion would, however, present May with an effective ultimatum - and give the lie to the claim that there is no majority for any alternative to May's deal.
    At an absolute minimum, it reframes the debate.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

eek said:

There's no certainty, but on the relatively minor question of an extension, there would be a very strong wish in the EU to remain united, and so the probability is that it would pass (assuming there's a good reason for it). But no guarantee, of course.
    Given that any extension beyond mid May would leave us as members of the EU as the European Parliament is subject to election I'm really not as sure as other people are about that.

At any other period during an European Parliament I could understand it but I suspect the timing makes it harder than it would otherwise be,.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's certainly true that, to get anything done, we need the government and the Commons to agree on a course of action. It really is sailing into uncharted waters if they don't.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

One could argue the government is showing flexibility in a negotiation by exploring options.

I understand as a remainder you don't like potential solutions to enable Brexit to proceed but the wider electorate will be sympathetic.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

As I said, short of bringing the government down, there are limits to what the HoC can do.

Bercow might decide he wishes to be perhaps the most significant parliamentarian since Cromwell and tilt real power away from the Gov't to the House though. The whole revoking Art 50 through a backbench bill/opposition day motion might not be far off the mark...
    I floated this idea a week or so ago. Obviously all public bills traditionally come from the government but a back bench bill which the House voted to give time to would be competent, I think, and I don't see any problems with the HoLs which has even more Euro fanatics than the Commons. Really, really difficult to see how a government could possibly survive this though.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

Not at all. In extremis she will have no other option.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    What’s the last date that a VONC could lead to an election before 29th March?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

May or the PM?
    Not sure your meaning
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I floated this idea a week or so ago. Obviously all public bills traditionally come from the government but a back bench bill which the House voted to give time to would be competent, I think, and I don't see any problems with the HoLs which has even more Euro fanatics than the Commons. Really, really difficult to see how a government could possibly survive this though.
    The DUP wouldn't support it. Nor would the vast majority of the Con party. Similar arithmetic to a VONC.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

I don't think we can assume it will be approved just because we ask for it. But equally, if the majority think it's necessary to avoid No Deal, it's difficult to see anyone vetoing it. The consequences of No Deal would be damaging to the 27 as well as to the UK, and very damaging to some of them.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Given that any extension beyond mid May would leave us as members of the EU as the European Parliament is subject to election I'm really not as sure as other people are about that.

At any other period during an European Parliament I could understand it but I suspect the timing makes it harder than it would otherwise be,.
    Yes, that's true. However, the general feeling in the EU seems to be that the European Parliament issue would be a nuisance but not an insurmountable problem.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

It is completely contrary to her entire strategy which is to run the clock down until there are no choices. Any application for an extension will be after she has gone.
  • Options

eek said:

Yes. It's not their problem, as such - just as long as something happens before the European Parliament elections (or that elections are managed via an EU-UK agreement somehow).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Demonstrating a majority in the House for such a motion would, however, present May with an effective ultimatum - and give the lie to the claim that there is no majority for any alternative to May's deal.
    I agree with this. It’s procedurally stupid, and the EU won’t accept it, but it would be the first time that the U.K. had a clearly stated view that would pass the House...

...but it’s still a view involving unicorns.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

One could argue the government is showing flexibility in a negotiation by exploring options.

I understand as a remainder you don't like potential solutions to enable Brexit to proceed but the wider electorate will be sympathetic.

I want a deal because a No Deal is an absolute and unmitigated disaster for this country. As much as I hate it, I want May's deal to be approved for that reason. The EU will not agree to a time limit on the back stop because it is not a back stop if there is a time limit. And the EU will not negotiate with the UK full stop if it does not trust us.

• Options
    eek said:

eek said:

That is July. Now, I accept that it isn't the five to ten years necessary to conclude a trade agreement but it will do in the interim. And it certainly gives enough time for a second referendum.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,627
    Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I agree with this. It’s procedurally stupid, and the EU won’t accept it, but it would be the first time that the U.K. had a clearly stated view that would pass the House...

A second referendum is not a unicorn, though.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

For an Election on the 28th March Parliament must be dissolved before midnight on the 21st Feb. Working back from that you need a VONC on 6th Feb latest..
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The government can agree - but it can't sign up until the House has given its consent.

The government can make clear it opposes the amendment.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

The DUP wouldn't support it. Nor would the vast majority of the Con party. Similar arithmetic to a VONC.
    I tend to agree. It seems much more likely to me that Corbyn would get his election than us proceeding down that path. The government would have fallen.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

How does that work practically? As you said earlier, and I probably agree, the one thing that career politicians won’t do is vote no confidence in their own party’s government. The DUP aren’t interested in a GE unless it’s their only way of stopping a deal they don’t like. There can’t be a leadership challenge for 11 months. So how can May be finished off?

There can be a leadership challenge if the rules are changed. And the rules are very easy to change, as I understand it.

• Options
    Gilet Jaune attack 60% of speed cameras in France.

Government announces considering raising the speed limit.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-minister-says-that-80kph-speed-limit-could-revert-back-to-90kph-if-it-does-not-save-lives

Democracy in action.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It isn’t. It’s a donkey from an animal rescue centre near Brighton with a Waitrose organic carrot attached to its head.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

It could but given it's obvious that the deal as is cannot pass the house that a would be dog in a manger stuff.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

eek said:

That is July. Now, I accept that it isn't the five to ten years necessary to conclude a trade agreement but it will do in the interim. And it certainly gives enough time for a second referendum.
    And if the result was to revoke and remain - then the entire election is a problem as the other countries have additional MEPs in our seats (for example France had 74 in 2014 but will have 79 in 2019)?
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's certainly true that, to get anything done, we need the government and the Commons to agree on a course of action. It really is sailing into uncharted waters if they don't.
    And that is the problem in a nutshell whilst there is a clear majority against everything. The Commons needs to work out what it is for, not what its against. I see very little sign of that to date.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Disagree. She always kicks cans. And you can't kill her, she's already dead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

And that is the problem in a nutshell whilst there is a clear majority against everything. The Commons needs to work out what it is for, not what its against. I see very little sign of that to date.
    Hence why these Con backbench amendments are very useful barometers.
  • Options
    eek said:

RoyalBlue said:

For an Election on the 28th March Parliament must be dissolved before midnight on the 21st Feb. Working back from that you need a VONC on 6th Feb latest..
    Thank you sir!
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

eek said:

And if the result was to revoke and remain - then the entire election is a problem as the other countries have additional MEPs in our seats (for example France had 74 in 2014 but will have 79 in 2019)?
    I think in the scheme of things these are relatively trivial. If there weren't half a dozen EU apparatchiks working on it as I type then I would be amazed.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

It could but given it's obvious that the deal as is cannot pass the house that a would be dog in a manger stuff.
    And? At some point in this someone is going to have to tell May the game is up
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Which takes us back to the UK not being a trustworthy party with which to negotiate.

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Imagine May's deal goes down by 200, the Con amendment goes down by just say 50..

That sets the narrative - and the ball back in the Barnier's side of the court.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But like a unicorn it gives you the horn? :lol:
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

eek said:

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you sir!
    I wonder, whether, as a Witham constituency resident, whether in that case there'd be a 'May's Deal Conservative' up against Priti Patel. And which would be the Official Conservative candidate.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Which takes us back to the UK not being a trustworthy party with which to negotiate.

Only in your mind.
  • Options

Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

Polruan said:

There can be a leadership challenge if the rules are changed. And the rules are very easy to change, as I understand it.

I had heard the opposite, but can’t find the link. Could be more than a month I think. A normal politician would surely resign if say two-thirds of their MPs expressed no confidence in writing but I think May’s response would make Corbyn’s 2016 performance look flexible and collegiate.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But like a unicorn it gives you the horn? :lol:
    Unicorns; famously overly protective of their horns. 🦄 🦄 🦄
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

350 Sir John Redwoods would be enough.

350 more than enough......
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Imagine May's deal goes down by 200, the Con amendment goes down by just say 50..

That sets the narrative - and the ball back in the Barnier's side of the court.

Who asks May with whom he ought to negotiate in order that the UK can agree to something!
  • Options
    Beth Rigby on Sky saying the DUP may back the Murrison amendment
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-minister-says-that-80kph-speed-limit-could-revert-back-to-90kph-if-it-does-not-save-lives

Democracy in action.

Or mob rule.
  • Options
    What on earth are the Germans thinking? This just ups the anti-deal vote!

• Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Dropping the backstop would get the DUP and some Conservatives back on board, but other MPs would still vote against for one reason or another.
    I'm not so sure. It really would be this - or no Brexit. Ballsy call to scupper Brexit for - what?

The Mann amendment and change on the backstop would get enough support to squeak May's deal through, IMHO.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Democracy in action.

Or mob rule.
    You could argue that democracy is mob rule.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

They should. If the ERG and Gov't vote for it too the Tory remain contingent can be isolated.
  • Options

So, May goes back to EU and says I want time limit.

Again, it's a no.

This is can kicking again.

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

So then the EU should wave us off into the sunset....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Only in your mind.

A government that signs an agreement and then backs amendments in the House of Commons that render the agreement void is a government that cannot be trusted. That's just a matter of simple fact.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Gate, democracy degrading into anarchy was one of Polybius' (I think) criticisms of it. Hence the mingling of monarchic, aristocratic, and democratic aspects in both Rome and Sparta, for stability (to see off the negative cycle of monarchy giving way to tyranny, being overthrown by aristocracy which becomes oligarchy, and is in turn supplanted by a democracy that degrades into anarchy, leading to monarchy, and so on).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

#qtwtain

Had to look that one up. And, OK, I agree. No chance. Which is great because I am as keen as the next man to see what Plan B will be. I suspect something along the following lines:

"My people. They have only gone and done it. MPs have rejected the best and only negotiated exit from the European Union. It's a damn shame but nothing has changed. I am still your Prime Minister and I am still resolved to deliver on the referendum instruction that we leave the EU. It is my duty. So I will go to Brussels and obtain some further assurances, then I will give parliament a second and final chance to vote on it, knowing that if they reject it again we are nonetheless leaving on 29th March. If colleagues wish some other outcome, and bearing in mind that the Leader of the Opposition is as keen as I am that we honour the referendum, then they need to turn their fancy talk of replacing my government with some sort of Grand Unity Coalition into reality. I bet they can't. In the meantime we go back to work. Thank you."
  • Options

So, May goes back to EU and says I want time limit.

Again, it's a no.

This is can kicking again.

No deal hoves into view
This discussion has been closed.