Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Make of these Tweets what you will – but certainly lots of rum

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

Baron Hague to be the first Prime Minister from the Lords in... oooh, ages.

Can someone put Hague up on the BF board for Next PM please?
    Or Cameron?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

She’d better bloody survive until 1st January.

I’ve got a three figure profit lined up on that on any day thereafter!

Survive as PM or Tory leader? The odds of the former are slightly better than the latter I'd think, if still not great, given the slight possibility she will remain in post until a successor is clear.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Footage of Sir Graham's office assistant at work this morning,

I count 47
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IanB2 said:

Has George Freeman just said what I've been saying for the last 90 minutes?

TEMPORARY CORONATION, IT'S ON LADS AND LADIES.
    How do you get a caretaker if she is not removed and wont resign?
    The mild-mannered janitor?

Could be.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va_Rmpd3PZI
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Just make sure its Liddington will you please.
    Anyone of Jeremy Hunt, David Lidington, Sajid Javid, Matt Hancock, Philip Hammond, Michael Gove, Penny Mordaunt, Andrea Leadsom, **checks rest of my betting portfolio**, Damien Green or Sir Michael Fallon would be acceptable.
    What would you do if the winner was Andrew Bridgen, Andrea Jenkyns, or Mark Francois?
    Cry lots and then speak to JohnO about what to do next.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    edited December 2018

Yet again, no vote for the members.....

Much at the moment is Pythonesque, but this seems apposite.

PM: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
    WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
    PM: I am your PM!
    WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
    PM: You don't vote for PMs.
    WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become PM then?
    PM: The Lady of the Lake,
    [angels sing]
    her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur
    from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I was to carry Excalibur.
    [singing stops]
    That is why I am your PM!
    If you list the possible things to do right now in a long list in order of sensibleness, I would have thought that the very last item right at the bottom is to ask Tory members.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    IanB2 said:

Labour have just voted against a motion tabled by Corbyn. Bizarre.

BBC:

299 voted against the motion, with zero voting in favour.
    The motion was neutral and non-binding, so has no consequences.

More fundamentally, it wasn't carried so has "no consequences"
    Whoever first dubbed it the Meaningless Vote was spot on.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

How do you get a caretaker if she is not removed and wont resign?
    Several ways, oust her in a Party VONC.

Or leave her as leader and make someone else PM, you don't need to be party leader to be PM, you just need the confidence of the House.
    That *just* looks like the problem...
  • Options

A text from someone

'Gove doesn't have an enemy in the world, even his friends think he's a c***'

No no.

Gove doesn't have an enemy in the world because only his friends hate him
    Gove has friends?
    Well he's friends with George Osborne CH.
    The Standard, let's not forget, has been pounding the Norway+ drum since day one. This is just continuity Cameronism coming home!

HE'S COMING HOME
    HE'S COMING HOME
    DISHFACE COMING HOME
    But Dave views with Gove with the same affection that I have for Mark Reckless.
    Gove's knifing of Boris is why we are where we are. We ended up with no contest, just the Coronation of Remainer Theresa May. Boris standing and a) winning or b) losing would each have drawn plenty of lines under Brexit implementation.
    Gove did us all a favour.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,666
    IanB2 said:

Yet again, no vote for the members.....

Much at the moment is Pythonesque, but this seems apposite.

PM: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
    WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
    PM: I am your PM!
    WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
    PM: You don't vote for PMs.
    WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become PM then?
    PM: The Lady of the Lake,
    [angels sing]
    her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur
    from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I was to carry Excalibur.
    [singing stops]
    That is why I am your PM!
    If you list the possible things to do right now in a long list in order of sensibleness, I would have thought that the very last item right at the bottom is to ask Tory members.
    Yes, they are more barking than Battersea Dogs Home at full moon.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I expect that Andrew Bridgen will be fancying his leadership chances.

In the same way that I fancy shagging Scarlett Johannason, Taylor Swift and Jennifer Lawrence in a steamy all night foursome.
  • Options

Just make sure its Liddington will you please.
    Anyone of Jeremy Hunt, David Lidington, Sajid Javid, Matt Hancock, Philip Hammond, Michael Gove, Penny Mordaunt, Andrea Leadsom, **checks rest of my betting portfolio**, Damien Green or Sir Michael Fallon would be acceptable.
    My strategy has been to lay the ERG like a dockside hooker.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    nico67 said:

Great news put one of the ERG nutjobs in to own this sorry mess . As soon as they come out with their managed no deal fantasy the Tories will completely implode !

Agreed. I think that all the remainers in parliament should sit on their hands and abstain on every Brexit related issue between now and March.

The leavers would then have nowhere to hide, it would all be entirely in their hands, no more excuses. They would collectively soil themselves.
  • Options

Funnily enough, both my (largely centrist) wife and soft-Labour lawyer female friend of mine, lives in Leeds, still bring up Hague from time to time and suggest this.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

nico67 said:

Great news put one of the ERG nutjobs in to own this sorry mess . As soon as they come out with their managed no deal fantasy the Tories will completely implode !

Agreed. I think that all the remainers in parliament should sit on their hands and abstain on every Brexit related issue between now and March.

The leavers would then have nowhere to hide, it would all be entirely in their hands, no more excuses. They would collectively soil themselves.
    Wouldn't May's deal sail through and we'd be on negotiating the future trading relationship?
  • Options

Funnily enough, both my (largely centrist) wife and soft-Labour lawyer female friend of mine, lives in Leeds, still bring up Hague from time to time and suggest this.
    Being a Lord, there is always the argument he'd have to recognise his own democratic illegitimacy and resign after sixth months rather than fighting on, which I can see as a concern with Gove.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If I was to give Andrew Bridgen a nickname it would 'The Hermaphrodite' because Bridgen is both a cock and a c**t.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Survive as PM or Tory leader? The odds of the former are slightly better than the latter I'd think, if still not great, given the slight possibility she will remain in post until a successor is clear.
    Survive as Tory leader. Market on Betfair.
  • Options
    Oops, forgot David Gauke would also be very profitable as next PM.

So would George Osborne CH.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
  • Options

kle4 said:

Is that the one OGH advised cashing out of, last week?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Just when I was putting the popcorn away up pops a possible Leadership challenge !

The UK continues to provide other EU members with the best advert for not leaving !

• Options
    💥Nervous Tory MPs hearing rumours that the ERG - in order to force the pace of a leadership contest - may release the names of 48 MPs who have told *them* they've put in letters to Graham Brady. To smoke out liars. 💥

TROLOLOLOLOLOLO
  • Options

Crossrail....

Must have Crossrail....
  • Options
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

nico67 said:

Wouldn't May's deal sail through and we'd be on negotiating the future trading relationship?
    eh? Arent there only 11 leave voting MPs supporting it?
  • Options

Crossrail....

Must have Crossrail....
    Next decade.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

In the same way that I fancy shagging Scarlett Johannason, Taylor Swift and Jennifer Lawrence in a steamy all night foursome.
    Steady on! It's not the lagershed yet :)
  • Options
    They really are the Tories' Millwall, aren't they?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

COME AND 'AVE A VOTE IF U FINK UR HARD ENOUGH
  • Options
    Despite everything the government is doing (or not) to cock things up, the most remarkable facet of the whole situation is still the failure of the (so-called official) opposition to oppose.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Is that the one OGH advised cashing out of, last week?
    I could see her resigning as PM immediately on losing a vote whilst the election as Tory leader goes on and she stays as caretaker.

Even when IDS lost and there was a coronation in 2003 there was a week between the vote and the new leader being ratified. He was caretaker leader in between. So we should be safe till at least 18th December, even if she lost a vote tomorrow.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I am so ashamed of them - we do not belong in the same party
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good evening. Has anything happened today in the world of British politics?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

SNAFU
  • Options

Being a Lord, there is always the argument he'd have to recognise his own democratic illegitimacy and resign after sixth months rather than fighting on, which I can see as a concern with Gove.

I haven’t searched yet but I don’t think Betfair have a price for him.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Despite everything the government is doing (or not) to cock things up, the most remarkable facet of the whole situation is still the failure of the (so-called official) opposition to oppose.

Do you not remember May losing three votes in an hour, two weeks ago? May being so TERRIFIED of losing her vote she's actually run away to Europe?

The government being held in contempt?

Labour are opposing just fine. What they're failing at is providing a credible alternative.
  • Options
    It's too late to help. Either they embarrass themselves and change the legal text of the WA, or it has no chance at all to get through. They are helping as much as they can by revealing May's current attempts pointless and thus hastening her demise.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Steady on! It's not the lagershed yet :)
    I might have overshared there.

At least it’s a pleasant thought, though, rather than all this politics malarkey.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    "Michael, it's got to be you," all of his cronies will be saying.

Are they right this time?
  • Options
    Easiest way to help, Donnie Boy? Narrow down our options to No Deal and Remain. Take the WA off the table, and send May home.
  • Options

+1
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

+1
    An extra letter? I didn't see it come in
  • Options
    You have to say if labour were led by Starmer backing a second referendum they would be very close to power

Corbyn is a disaster for labour
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Do you not remember May losing three votes in an hour, two weeks ago? May being so TERRIFIED of losing her vote she's actually run away to Europe?

The government being held in contempt?

Labour are opposing just fine. What they're failing at is providing a credible alternative.
    Which is pretty central to the purpose of good opposition.
  • Options
    Reported on BBC at 17.58 at
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-46506969

Shortly before the Commons began considering Ivory Bill amendments, SNP MP Stewart M. McDonald raised a point of order with the Speaker, accusing veteran Labour MP, Dennis Skinner, of calling him "a piece of shit".

Mr Skinner sits in front of Mr McDonald in the Commons, and allegedly made the remark during the emergency debate, after the SNP MP told a party colleague that he wished Jeremy Corbyn would answer a question.

It's reported Mr Skinner defended his comment as "putting [him] in [his] place".

Mr McDonald said he'd tried to deal with the incident informally but Dennis Skinner showed no signs of regret. He asked the Speaker to "re-affirm that it's wrong and can you re-affirm that members on all sides should be able to go about this place without being at the tail end of that kind of abuse".

The Speaker John Bercow said he'd advised the MP to deal with the matter outside the debating chamber, and would "not presume to comment on a conversation I did not hear".

He said MPs should be able to disagree with one another "agreeably or reasonably agreeably" and whilst he didn't want anyone to be abused he'd known Dennis Skinner for 21 years and held him "in the highest esteem".

• Options

AndyJS said:

SNAFU
    FUBAR
  • Options

Shortly before the Commons began considering Ivory Bill amendments, SNP MP Stewart M. McDonald raised a point of order with the Speaker, accusing veteran Labour MP, Dennis Skinner, of calling him "a piece of shit".

Mr Skinner sits in front of Mr McDonald in the Commons, and allegedly made the remark during the emergency debate, after the SNP MP told a party colleague that he wished Jeremy Corbyn would answer a question.

It's reported Mr Skinner defended his comment as "putting [him] in [his] place".

Mr McDonald said he'd tried to deal with the incident informally but Dennis Skinner showed no signs of regret. He asked the Speaker to "re-affirm that it's wrong and can you re-affirm that members on all sides should be able to go about this place without being at the tail end of that kind of abuse".

The Speaker John Bercow said he'd advised the MP to deal with the matter outside the debating chamber, and would "not presume to comment on a conversation I did not hear".

He said MPs should be able to disagree with one another "agreeably or reasonably agreeably" and whilst he didn't want anyone to be abused he'd known Dennis Skinner for 21 years and held him "in the highest esteem".

Hasn't he heard of "sticks and stones"?
  • Options
    "If the Prime Minister lost a leadership challenge, they would not automatically resign.

They could choose to stay in post until a new leader is elected or resign in favour of another Conservative MP who would temporarily be Prime Minister until the leadership contest is over. This would be an unusual situation."

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/conservative-party-leadership-challenges
  • Options
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

nico67 said:

If all the remain MPs abstained you think a majority of the leave MPs in parliament would back May's deal?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

nico67 said:

If all the remain MPs abstained you think a majority of the leave MPs in parliament would back May's deal?
    Thanks to the payroll vote
  • Options

Easiest way to help, Donnie Boy? Narrow down our options to No Deal and Remain. Take the WA off the table, and send May home.
    Maybe he could troll her on Instagram or Twitter?

That might help.
  • Options

It's only words, but Skinner does give the appearance of being a rather unpleasant, bitter man. Hopefully in his personal and professional life that is not how he truly is.
  • Options

Maybe he could troll her on Instagram or Twitter?

That might help.
    Worth a shot, duke.
  • Options
    Why can’t I pre-order Tim Shipman’s next book on Amazon now?

It will make All Out War and Fall Out look like chicken feed.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    It doesn't make the blindest bit of difference whom the Prime Minister is if no approach to Brexit can command a majority in the House of Commons.

By which I mean, of course, an approach that a majority is willing actually to vote for, rather than to mutter about.

Either one is found or No Deal happens by default next March. All else is noise.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

You have to say if labour were led by Starmer backing a second referendum they would be very close to power

If Labour was led by anyone except their front bench they would be very close to power...
  • Options

Well, hardly.

The chaos is on the government benches.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    @cyclefree

FPT:
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The last two years have shown us that Raab, Johnson and Hannan have not the first clue how the EU works. They are ignorant, self-serving, malicious and damaging. At least Gove has tried to do something worthwhile at DEFRA. The rest of them are a useless waste of space.

I say we nuke Westminster from orbit - it's the only way to be sure ;)
    I cannot begin to tell you how angry I am at politicians playing stupid bloody games, out of malice, ambition, ignorance, which will harm the future of this country and that of my family.

For reasons which need not concern anyone I actually own a proper yellow high-vis jacket. I am beginning to think that hurling paving stones at the utter wankers in Westminster is the only rational course of action.

I also possess a high vis jacket and I think i have a small crowbar as well. I will happily join you in cobblestone hurling as I have held all our politicians in contempt for some time now.
  • Options
    eek said:

If Labour was led by anyone except their front bench they would be very close to power...
    Do you not think they are very close to power *now*?

(Though I agree a competent leader could be doing better, but having Labour on 40%, a historically high vote share, is not bad for a leader as shit at leading as Corbyn)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Well, hardly.

Your statement does not contradict the one you've quoted. The government is a shambles, it doesn't mean that Labour would not be doing better if led by Starmer or that Corbyn is not a disaster. He might not be one, but that the government benches are in chaos has no bearing on whether he is or not.
  • Options

@cyclefree

FPT:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The last two years have shown us that Raab, Johnson and Hannan have not the first clue how the EU works. They are ignorant, self-serving, malicious and damaging. At least Gove has tried to do something worthwhile at DEFRA. The rest of them are a useless waste of space.

I cannot begin to tell you how angry I am at politicians playing stupid bloody games, out of malice, ambition, ignorance, which will harm the future of this country and that of my family.

For reasons which need not concern anyone I actually own a proper yellow high-vis jacket. I am beginning to think that hurling paving stones at the utter wankers in Westminster is the only rational course of action.

I also possess a high vis jacket and I think i have a small crowbar as well. I will happily join you in cobblestone hurling as I have held all our politicians in contempt for some time now.
    I also possess a high vis jacket.

Was a gag gift to be worn at someone's birthday.
  • Options

It doesn't make the blindest bit of difference whom the Prime Minister is if no approach to Brexit can command a majority in the House of Commons.

By which I mean, of course, an approach that a majority is willing actually to vote for, rather than to mutter about.

Either one is found or No Deal happens by default next March. All else is noise.

Indeed. Some other Tory, Corbyn, whoever, these are minor issues, the big problem is getting something, anything, through, and yet Tories are too busy sorting out their leadership campaigns and Corbyn is only after a GE.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Well, hardly.

That is loyal claptrap if you dont mind me saying.

In todays Sky poll 45% want TM to do Brexit and just 22% Corbyn - and you think he is an asset
  • Options

eek said:

(Though I agree a competent leader could be doing better, but having Labour on 40%, a historically high vote share, is not bad for a leader as shit at leading as Corbyn)
    it is quite possible that under a different Labour leader, the Tories would have a stonking majority.
  • Options
    It's a sign of how little authoruity she has that everyone and her dog is now laying down impossible red lines in her direction.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018
    One lives in hope that the gutless wonders on the Tory benches have finally got 48 letters in to Graham Brady. Britain has no future as long as May remains in power and the Tories have no defence against the lunatics currently in charge of Labour.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be more relevant if EU legal authorities gave a view on any such addendum?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wouldn't it be more relevant if EU legal authorities gave a view on any such addendum?
    You think a Brexiteer is going to trust the word of the EU?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

it is quite possible that under a different Labour leader, the Tories would have a stonking majority.
    With respect I think you need to lie down in a darkened room
  • Options
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

No, but what good is our legal view on whether it would overrule the WA if the EU legal authorities turn around and say it doesn't?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Well, hardly.

In todays Sky poll 45% want TM to do Brexit and just 22% Corbyn - and you think he is an asset
    No, Jezza is a curates egg, only good in parts.

He has pulled off a very cunning plan. The Tories are fighting like rats in a sack, while he eats popcorn from the opposing benches.
  • Options

kle4 said:

No - why would they. They have proved time and again that they despise Britain and are serial liars.
  • Options
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

OllyT said:

nico67 said:

Thanks to the payroll vote
    I'm assuming at that point that May would have gone and a leaver elected as PM given than the remainers would have left the field so to speak.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No, but what good is our legal view on whether it would overrule the WA if the EU legal authorities turn around and say it doesn't?
    Let's stop pretending anyone will give the slightest frick what this non-legally-binding addendum she apparently drafted weeks ago says.

Fabricant is humouring her, that's all. He's probably already sent his letter.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

I think it would more likely that there would be a stinking Tory lead over Labour under a different Tory leader.
  • Options
    In other news, the chef at Parliament is as mad as the inmates:

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1072479807370420225?s=19
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Well, hardly.

No, Jezza is a curates egg, only good in parts.

He has pulled off a very cunning plan. The Tories are fighting like rats in a sack, while he eats popcorn from the opposing benches.
    whilst the only thing he can do is shut up, every time he opens his mouth he's in trouble.

it's just a different form of straightjacket.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

Indeed. Some other Tory, Corbyn, whoever, these are minor issues, the big problem is getting something, anything, through, and yet Tories are too busy sorting out their leadership campaigns and Corbyn is only after a GE.
    Corbyn wants to sit on his hands and wait to push for an election after No Deal has happened. Then he doesn't have to take responsibility for attempting to force through a second referendum, he's rid of the EU, and (with any luck, as he would see it) an accumulation of the Tories' manifest incompetence and their failure to prepare for No Deal could well mean that the country is struggling economically and up in arms about it.

For both May and Corbyn there is nothing to lose from simply allowing the clock to run down. He gets what he wants; God alone knows what she's up to, but the one thing she seems least disposed to do is pack her bags and go back to Maidenhead. And they're being allowed to get away with it because MPs are unwilling or unable to intervene.

And every day is another day nearer to March 29th.
  • Options

Foxy said:

eek said:

With respect I think you need to lie down in a darkened room
    Jezza achieved the highest Labour vote share in a long while in his last GE. Whatever else he is, he is a formidable campaigner.
  • Options
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AndyJS said:

Apparently, everything. Same as yesterday.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

@cyclefree

FPT:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I also possess a high vis jacket.

Was a gag gift to be worn at someone's birthday.
    We will keep you a few cobblestones spare
  • Options
    Foxy said:

In other news, the chef at Parliament is as mad as the inmates:

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1072479807370420225?s=19

That's a great idea, I shall have to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    The problem the Tories are going to have with PM Corbyn is that his domestic agenda will prove alarmingly popular, but since it's anathema to Tories their opposition will harm them.

Also, he'll be PM fresh off the back of the Tories having betrayed Brexit, so he'll be buoyed up by the relieved remainers.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    With my sincere and fullsome apologies to Joe Strummer RIP and the Clash:

"The teachers don't like him ... but it's got to be Michael, it's GOT to be Michael"
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    DUP should wait for the 48 letters to go in then say that if May stays, they'll vote with Labour in a vonc
  • Options

kle4 said:

Then I have a solution - Parliament legislates to move us to the Julian Calendar, buying us another 2 weeks of time.
  • Options
    eek said:
    Snore. Do these idiots think it even matters if a wolf actually shows up now? Why are they even leaking these details, just send the letter and Brady will tell everyone when it is relevant.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Then I have a solution - Parliament legislates to move us to the Julian Calendar, buying us another 2 weeks of time.
    Sadly, Exit under the Treaty is set by reference to the time in Brussels, which is why it's 11PM at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.