Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New London poll finds Sadiq Khan heading for a first round vic

Comments

• Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    nico67 said:

The ERG continue to move the goalposts . They will vote against any deal and want a no deal . Will the country be held to ransom by these nutjobs ?

Not if Corbyn stops playing silly games.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

He sounds like the inverse of most DPD delivery drivers. If you don't answer the door within 5s of them ringing the bell, you must be out and they are taking that parcel back to the depot.

Yodel drivers just lose the package long before it gets near your home, much simpler for everyone concerned.

• Options
    Andrew said:

He sounds like the inverse of most DPD delivery drivers. If you don't answer the door within 5s of them ringing the bell, you must be out and they are taking that parcel back to the depot.

Yodel drivers just lose the package long before it gets near your home, much simpler for everyone concerned.

Ditto Hermes.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

One of the managed to 'deliver' a cardbox box of wine to us by leaving it in the rain on the grass verge at the top of our admittedly long drive.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Andrew said:

One of the managed to 'deliver' a cardbox box of wine to us by leaving it in the rain on the grass verge at the top of our admittedly long drive.
    Box wine? Very classy :p
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    SeanT said:

I see the Fall Out 76 Larpers are out again today in Paris, this time protesting an increase in non-EU uni fees. Macron isn't going to get any reforms through now is he.

There's a couple of FT articles saying this (and they were pro-Macron). The tax concessions he has just made to the Gilets Jaune are enough for France's budget deficit to break 3% and be subject to EU fines (which won't happen: "France is France" etc etc). The FT thinks he is a busted flush already, just another president who promised so much (like Sarko, Chirac, Hollande) but caved to street protests.

France is maybe unreformable, absent war or aliens landing.
    Most aliens who have mastered interstellar space flight would take a quick look around France and say

"Fuck this. Which way's the Congo?"
  • Options

Andrew said:

My mother once got a note that they'd left a package in a "safe place": the wheelie bin.

On bin day.

Thankfully after the binmen had been.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

Andrew said:

Handbag Cardboard Box???
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Perhaps that is who is responsible for the HoC internal mail system and why the letters aren’t getting to Graham’s mailbox.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Donny43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

May told the EU that she was pulling the vote before she told Cabinet, let alone her own party, let alone the House.

Hence Gove saying "yes, it's 100% going ahead".

This should be worth another half-dozen letters to Graham Brady Old Lady...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/theresa-may-told-eu-leaders-brexit-vote-pulled

How do we know how many letters this Brady arsehole really has? He could be throwing them in the bin for all we know.
    He'll have more than 48 right now I expect - but they won't be authorised to be 'used' till the moment of maximum May weakness, losing the meaningful vote.
    He said he doesn't accept post dated letters.
    I actually like DPD, but then I have a decent local driver.
    I do a bit of consulting in that industry and DPD are so far in front of Yodel, Hermes et al, it's not funny - not so much in terms of technology, but company culture. They are really, really focused on not pissing off the customer, much more than the other firms.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2018
    TOPPING said:

Andrew said:

Handbag Cardboard Box???
    I am hoping it's a cardboard box full of *bottles of wine*. Anything else is unthinkable.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018
    John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Andrew said:

Handbag Cardboard Box???
    I am hoping it's a cardboard box full of *bottles of wine*. Anything else is unthinkable.
    Of course!

Actually that wasn't the whole of Yodel's screw-ups on the consignment, which was five cases of wine. For some reason they arrived in five separate deliveries. As well as the one left on the verge in the rain, there was one found by our neighbour on her drive, another left outside her front door, another delivered to the farm next door (farm run by the same neighbour, this was getting embarrassing..), and another left on our front drive when we were in.

I now have a policy of trying not to use any supplier who uses Yodel.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

May told the EU that she was pulling the vote before she told Cabinet, let alone her own party, let alone the House.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/theresa-may-told-eu-leaders-brexit-vote-pulled

How do we know how many letters this Brady arsehole really has? He could be throwing them in the bin for all we know.
    He'll have more than 48 right now I expect - but they won't be authorised to be 'used' till the moment of maximum May weakness, losing the meaningful vote.
    I do a bit of consulting in that industry and DPD are so far in front of Yodel, Hermes et al, it's not funny - not so much in terms of technology, but company culture. They are really, really focused on not pissing off the customer, much more than the other firms.
    My local DPD driver is brilliant, and their prediction of timings and tracking of the vans is spot on.

If I order something and they say it will come via DPD I breath a sigh of relief.
  • Options

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Andrew said:

Handbag Cardboard Box???
    Of course!
    Only if it's a white burgundy otherwise owc!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    That would make a mockery of their 'no renegotiation' line.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

I'm really not surprised - I sent a big shipment with them that went awry at one of their hubs and the effort they went through to resolve the problem was way above my expectations.

I don't work for them, honest!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

i think JRM would make a very fine Chancellor. No, stop. Really. He's a ridiculous figure in many ways (which is why he must not go near the leadership) but he's also logical, lucid, calm and astute, solid under pressure, and very good with money

He apparently can't count to 48
    Not enough fingers and toes.

We need someone from Norfolk in charge.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

My local DPD driver is brilliant, and their prediction of timings and tracking of the vans is spot on.

If I order something and they say it will come via DPD I breath a sigh of relief.
    The interesting thing is that this type of conversation, repeated more broadly, will allow people to start discriminating between the companies which otherwise blend into an amorpous "bad" whole, leaving cardboard boxes of wine in the rain of all things, etc.

I shall now look out for DPD, if that is at all possible when receiving things.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

++

DPD are one of the better delivery companies. If they say something will be delivered at a particular time they are almost always spot on with the timing, and they do good job of communicating and tracking.
  • Options
    glw said:

++

DPD are one of the better delivery companies. If they say something will be delivered at a particular time they are almost always spot on with the timing, and they do good job of communicating and tracking.
    Yes, my experience too.
  • Options

Interesting - I did wonder if they might have something like this up their sleeve, expecting to lose the vote then having a little extra concession pre-planned.

Hard to imagine it's going to change the minds of the DUP/ERG nutters though.
  • Options
    I recently had utterly shambolic service from John Lewis. My previous service from John Lewis was just as shambolic. I am no longer using John Lewis.
  • Options
    DPD and UKMail are the best.

Hermes are the pineapple pizza of delivery companies.
  • Options

I recently had utterly shambolic service from John Lewis. My previous service from John Lewis was just as shambolic. I am no longer using John Lewis.

Wow. John Lewis have always been brilliant for me.
  • Options

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Andrew said:

Handbag Cardboard Box???
    Of course!

Actually that wasn't the whole of Yodel's screw-ups on the consignment, which was five cases of wine. For some reason they arrived in five separate deliveries. As well as the one left on the verge in the rain, there was one found by our neighbour on her drive, another left outside her front door, another delivered to the farm next door (farm run by the same neighbour, this was getting embarrassing..), and another left on our front drive when we were in.

I now have a policy of trying not to use any supplier who uses Yodel.
    I try that too, but it's so difficult.

The major problem with receiving parcels is that you are not their customer - the sender is. Yodel and Hermes don't seem to realise that if their customer loses customers, they too will eventually lose a customer...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Their extracare on white goods is phone call guidance. I claimed the unused cash back recently for the remainder of the contract.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

DPD and UKMail are the best.

Hermes are the pineapple pizza of delivery companies.

Delivery is very much a demonstration of penny wish, pound foolish. If a company doesn't use DPD and things go wrong - that's the last time I'll be their customer...
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's like a fake encore, everyone knows it was on the set list all along but the crowd won't be satisfied unless you do it
  • Options
    "Corbyn says he will table no confidence motion 'at the appropriate time'"

Incidentally why is Corbyn being quizzed?
  • Options

RobD said:

It's like a fake encore, everyone knows it was on the set list all along but the crowd won't be satisfied unless you do it
    Especially when they haven't yet played the only song you really know.....

• Options
    Donny43 said:

The major problem with receiving parcels is that you are not their customer - the sender is. Yodel and Hermes don't seem to realise that if their customer loses customers, they too will eventually lose a customer...

Yep. Amazon's in-house delivery service is hyper efficient for that reason.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Interesting - I did wonder if they might have something like this up their sleeve, expecting to lose the vote then having a little extra concession pre-planned.

But why not have the vote? Or a too hefty defeat means she doesn't get to any amendment presumably.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I see the Fall Out 76 Larpers are out again today in Paris, this time protesting an increase in non-EU uni fees. Macron isn't going to get any reforms through now is he.

There's a couple of FT articles saying this (and they were pro-Macron). The tax concessions he has just made to the Gilets Jaune are enough for France's budget deficit to break 3% and be subject to EU fines (which won't happen: "France is France" etc etc). The FT thinks he is a busted flush already, just another president who promised so much (like Sarko, Chirac, Hollande) but caved to street protests.

Most aliens who have mastered interstellar space flight would take a quick look around France and say

I've just come back from a Times travel gig around Cognac and Bordeaux, eating and drinking in all the best restaurants. Staying in Europe's most expensive new hotel. Visiting 400 year old distillers where I drank Du Point Art de Vie $2000-a-bottle cognac. Etc etc

And it was boring and a bit depressing. Yet again the food disappointed, quite badly. I know I bang on about the decline of French food but this was really quite impressively poor. I ate in two different Michelin starred restaurants, I ate in famous local brasseries and celebrated fish restaurants. Almost every meal was mediocre and utterly forgettable, if not actively bad: only the oysters were good (but they are hard to fuck up), and the grilled sole in one place in central Bordeaux.

The countryside was humdrum, ugly, rainy and overrun with yellow vesters causing 20 mile traffic jams. The wine was meh and of course stupidly overpriced (its Bordeaux) I drank Grand Crus worth £100 a bottle which, in reality, should go for £10.

The one impressive thing was Bordeaux. They've scrubbed it clean for 20 years and now the city is gloriously handsome and golden, like a smaller, sweeter Paris.

Only problem, on my last night in Bordeaux they had massive riots and the town centre was looted and burned and several people were seriously injured (luckily the travel PR for the city had told me to "get out of town, there will be violence" - !! - so I was staying on a posh hotel on a hill overlooking the city. I could hear the stun grenades as I ate my farmed French caviar (tasteless)

France has huge, huge problems. Arguably worse than Brexit.
    Isn't it just the case that beyond a certain price level, both food and wine are subject to a law of diminishing returns?

There are pubs in Beds/Herts. where I can get an excellent meal for £20. I'd expect a £100 meal in a top restaurant to be better, but certainly not 5 times better.
  • Options

"Corbyn says he will table no confidence motion 'at the appropriate time'"

Incidentally why is Corbyn being quizzed?

It's the meaningless debate. He gets to play PM for the day !
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Just finished watching Ken Burns Vietnam on Netflix

absolutley brilliant.

Agree, Alan , was superb. His American civil war one is the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sean_F said:

Isn't it just the case that beyond a certain price level, both food and wine are subject to a law of diminishing returns?

There are pubs in Beds/Herts. where I can get an excellent meal for £20. I'd expect a £100 meal in a top restaurant to be better, but certainly not 5 times better.

What does 'five times better' mean? It might well be the case that you (or certainly I) would prefer to go a top place once for something really special than to an OK pub restaurant five times.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I've just come back from a Times travel gig around Cognac and Bordeaux, eating and drinking in all the best restaurants. Staying in Europe's most expensive new hotel. Visiting 400 year old distillers where I drank Du Point Art de Vie $2000-a-bottle cognac. Etc etc

And it was boring and a bit depressing. Yet again the food disappointed, quite badly. I know I bang on about the decline of French food but this was really quite impressively poor. I ate in two different Michelin starred restaurants, I ate in famous local brasseries and celebrated fish restaurants. Almost every meal was mediocre and utterly forgettable, if not actively bad: only the oysters were good (but they are hard to fuck up), and the grilled sole in one place in central Bordeaux.

The countryside was humdrum, ugly, rainy and overrun with yellow vesters causing 20 mile traffic jams. The wine was meh and of course stupidly overpriced (its Bordeaux) I drank Grand Crus worth £100 a bottle which, in reality, should go for £10.

The one impressive thing was Bordeaux. They've scrubbed it clean for 20 years and now the city is gloriously handsome and golden, like a smaller, sweeter Paris.

Only problem, on my last night in Bordeaux they had massive riots and the town centre was looted and burned and several people were seriously injured (luckily the travel PR for the city had told me to "get out of town, there will be violence" - !! - so I was staying on a posh hotel on a hill overlooking the city. I could hear the stun grenades as I ate my farmed French caviar (tasteless)

France is a magnificent country. It has political problems? Yes, it always has. Arguably worse than Brexit? Total bollocks. I think you are just looking through the shit-coloured spectacles of the average anti-French Brexiteer. You probably get crap service and food because they sense your sneering.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Look at Lidington. Surely a PM in waiting.
  • Options
    OortOort Posts: 96
    David Lidington seems highly stressed, but he is speaking to a crap brief, arguing that the prime minister and government are bending over backwards to be accountable to the Commons when patently clearly they aren't.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    "Due to the O2 outage last week", Yodel marked every parcel in their system as delivered on Friday.

Despite the fact they weren't on the van until Monday...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Look at Liddington. Surely a PM in waiting.

checks betting slips... You know, I think you might be right.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Donny43 said:

Andrew said:

My mother once got a note that they'd left a package in a "safe place": the wheelie bin.

On bin day.

Had one recently in wheelie bin and had not even left a note , just found it when I went to put rubbish in the bin.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

May I join this consensus?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Only if you tipped him at 100/1 in a thread header.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    TOPPING said:

Andrew said:

But why not have the vote? Or a too hefty defeat means she doesn't get to any amendment presumably.
    Absolutely. Far better to draw the poison out at this stage, before getting serious. I think she should have given the opposition the chance to vote her down before coming back in that case.

We once presented a council budget, knowing that Labour's policy was to vote it down, once. (because We Are Against Austerity And Austerity Is Bad So We Are Against It.)

We took the defeat, spent 30 mins agreeing a concession (Labour later said they didn't expect to get it, but it was something we liked anyway and we were desperate to get the budget through) and passed the budget after midnight.

Had Labour simply proposed the amendment earlier, we'd accepted it, and they'd then abstained overall, we'd have been home hours sooner but they wouldn't have got to demonstrate their opposition to austerity. So worked well all round.

T May should have done the same.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I've got him as next Prime Minister at 1000 on Betfair. /boast
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    "So, kids, never pay more than £50 for a bottle of wine, unless all you want to do is impress stupid snobs."

Decimal point in the wrong place by my reckoning!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,213

Wow. John Lewis have always been brilliant for me.
    Me too. But I have read other stories of complaints similar to Alastair's so I think that JL need to beware. They are at risk of taking their very loyal customers for granted.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    TOPPING said:

I'd guess so, yes. Best case was probably a 150 vote defeat if a lot of rebels abstained, and more likely >200. That'd be too damaging, she'd never get a 2nd try.
  • Options

France is a magnificent country. It has political problems? Yes, it always has. Arguably worse than Brexit? Total bollocks. I think you are just looking through the shit-coloured spectacles of the average anti-French Brexiteer. You probably get crap service and food because they sense your sneering.

Thermo-nuclear incoming in five, four, three.........
  • Options
    Mark Francois is an utter Mark Reckless.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nobody likes a show off.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Donny43 said:

Andrew said:

On bin day.

That happened to me once. I came back from walking the dog and saw a woman acting suspiciously near my bin. I confronted her and she said she had put a package (which contained a foodstuff!) in it. I told her that was no place to deliver a parcel and said I thought everybody knew that rubbish bins were used only for throwing things away. Through thin lips she replied that many of her "customers" liked things delivered to their bins when they were out. Never mind that I wasn't her customer. She then asked as if I were some kind of slave-driver whether I wanted her to come back a second time with a parcel if I wasn't at home.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

This, remarkably, is a very good thread from a nutty "anarcho-Marxist" Corbynite aged about 13.

She understands why Remain lost, exactly, and analyses, acutely, why they might easily lose a 2nd vote, too.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1072429810507497472

A Corbynite has worked out that populist bullshit wins votes?

Really?

Wow.
    Yes, she's dangerous in that respect. I was staggered that my wife's public-school educated Cambridge-graduate young lawyer nephew was taken in by the Momentum videos on Facebook, to the extent that he voted for Corbyn in 2017 (and in Westminster, too, FFS!). He didn't even realise that he'd been the target of propaganda. Looking at Ms Sarkar's Twitter pages, that sort of propaganda video is exactly what she and her colleagues do. It's going to be a hell of a challenge seeing off that sort of stuff.
    Yes i was talking to a 40 year old posh female doctor on Sunday who is a massive Corbyn cheerleader. They live in a public sector bubble where the Tories are pure evil and there will be free money for everyone under Corbyn. All her doctor friends are the same apparently.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nobody likes a show off.
    I'm on at 140/1
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Has May managed to escape her car yet?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Shit German engineering. No wonder only the world's best driver - a Brit - can get an F1 winning performance out of them.....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

kle4 said:

Depends on the Speaker AIUI.
    That's yes then. Bercow is without balance at the moment, he's losing it.

A good Speaker stands up for the rights of Parliament against an overbearing and overmighty executive.

Thus, if the government is pissed off with them, it's a sign they are doing their job properly.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100503/andrea-leadsom-questions-commons-speaker

QED.

(Incidentally I think we can add the rights and responsibilities of the Speaker's Chair to the bumper book of Things Mrs Leadsom Does Not Understand).

He's an odious little twerp. Once again Leadsom is thoroughly sound. The extent to which she's attacked by remainers is a measure of how afraid they are of her. See also Rees Mogg.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I believe the F1 Mercedes team is based in England.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

This, remarkably, is a very good thread from a nutty "anarcho-Marxist" Corbynite aged about 13.

She understands why Remain lost, exactly, and analyses, acutely, why they might easily lose a 2nd vote, too.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1072429810507497472

A Corbynite has worked out that populist bullshit wins votes?

Really?

Wow.
    Yes, she's dangerous in that respect. I was staggered that my wife's public-school educated Cambridge-graduate young lawyer nephew was taken in by the Momentum videos on Facebook, to the extent that he voted for Corbyn in 2017 (and in Westminster, too, FFS!). He didn't even realise that he'd been the target of propaganda. Looking at Ms Sarkar's Twitter pages, that sort of propaganda video is exactly what she and her colleagues do. It's going to be a hell of a challenge seeing off that sort of stuff.
    Yes i was talking to a 40 year old posh female doctor on Sunday who is a massive Corbyn cheerleader. They live in a public sector bubble where the Tories are pure evil and there will be free money for everyone under Corbyn. All her doctor friends are the same apparently.
    I reckon Corbyn should have a go at this point.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, I believe the F1 Mercedes team is based in England.

That little test drive of their top-of-the-range limos shows why!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I had to give my smart, lefty young wife Jung Chang's Wild Swans to read, to make her grasp the total and evil failure of communism. She said she had no idea, she thinks the book has changed her worldview, she is sharing it with her friends, who are all equally stunned. Seriously. It is a revelation to them.

They should put that book on the bloody National Curriculum.

Things would have gone no better in Russia or China had the Whites or Kuomintang won the respective civil wars.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

I think the problem is that at the luxury end of the market everything is being homogenized to appeal to the bland, petit-bourgeois tastes of the global plutocracy and their wannabee hangers-on. Last time we were in France, back in July, we stayed in a delightful little boutique hotel in the Marais, had a fabulous lunch in a little side-street café and then chilled and people-watched in the Place des Vosges.

That was part of a wider tour including Sicily, Malta and Tunis (@SeanT, you should definitely give Tunis a try, great city!). We put the boat out to stay in a luxury hotel in Agrigento for my wife's birthday, and it was indeed luxurious and had views to die for over the Valley of the Temples, but we had a much nicer and more fun stay before that in a quirky and very slightly down-at-heel city centre hotel in Catania, where the clerk gave us a rec to a nearby traditional open-air courtyard Sicilian restaurant that served probably the best meal I've had all year.

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I've just farmed French caviar (tasteless)

lol. Really. LOL

I'm a Times travel writer. I don't go out there and sneer (I'd soon lose my job). I go out there and smile and say Thankyou a lot. Just as I do in the hundreds of other countries and hotels and restaurants I visit, which offer me a global perspective very few get.

Moreover, I love France for its landscapes and culture, its history and art, even the people (who can be irritating, but also immensely charming). It is enviably beautiful, and varied, from the rugged glories of Corsica to the exquisite prettiness of Provence to the wilds of the Cevennes, and on and on.

But there IS a major problem with stagnation. Major major. And the relative decline, maybe absolute decline of the food is a symptom of that. The overpriced wine thing is different, it's just snobbery (and actually a symptom of commercial success and brilliant brand management).

Anyway, I gotta go write my piece about France. I will be enthusiastic. I'm a travel journalist.

A bientot.
    You're a great wordsmith. You have sampled more variety but have no better inate understanding of food and drink than my uncle's gardener who'd never left Sturminster Newton.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A good Speaker stands up for the rights of Parliament against an overbearing and overmighty executive.

Thus, if the government is pissed off with them, it's a sign they are doing their job properly.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100503/andrea-leadsom-questions-commons-speaker

QED.

(Incidentally I think we can add the rights and responsibilities of the Speaker's Chair to the bumper book of Things Mrs Leadsom Does Not Understand).

He's an odious little twerp. Once again Leadsom is thoroughly sound. The extent to which she's attacked by remainers is a measure of how afraid they are of her. See also Rees Mogg.
    "Once again Leadsom is thoroughly sound."

ha haha hahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I have been tear gassed three times in my life, two of which were in France (first, doing a military fitness class on Île de la Jatte but not on a Sunday, second in Marseille old port). They do love their tear gas, do the CRS.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I have been tear gassed three times in my life, two of which were in France (first, doing a military fitness class on Île de la Jatte but not on a Sunday, second in Marseille old port). They do love their tear gas, do the CRS.
    Is that how you got banned?
  • Options
    Oort said:

SeanT said:

I had to give my smart, lefty young wife Jung Chang's Wild Swans to read, to make her grasp the total and evil failure of communism. She said she had no idea, she thinks the book has changed her worldview, she is sharing it with her friends, who are all equally stunned. Seriously. It is a revelation to them.

Things would have gone no better in Russia or China had the Whites or Kuomintang won the respective civil wars.

Their dictatorships would probably have been shorter-lasting.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is that how you got banned?

lol

almost.
  • Options
    Mr. Oort, hmm.

The Whites would've had to go some to beat Stalin's death toll.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

Case in point.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Oort said:

SeanT said:

As long as Franco's or Salazar's or only as short as Mussolini's?
  • Options
    Oort said:

Sean_F said:

Oort said:

SeanT said:

As long as Franco's or Salazar's or only as short as Mussolini's?
    I think Taiwan and South Korea would be the best real-life examples.
  • Options

Mr. Oort, hmm.

The Whites would've had to go some to beat Stalin's death toll.

quite.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

Case in point.
    Afraid of Leadsom? Wasn't she senior partner of Goldman Sachs?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

I agree. Leadsom is thoroughly ridiculous. One of the more vacuous MPs IMO. Watching her expression she she is asked a difficult question is practically entertainment in itself.
  • Options
    Crossrail...

Must have Crossrail...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

I agree. Leadsom is thoroughly ridiculous. One of the more vacuous MPs IMO. Watching her expression she she is asked a difficult question is practically entertainment in itself.
    She has never retained my undivided attention long enough for me to assimilate the change in her expression.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Has May managed to escape her car yet?

The '22 have received 74 letters to keep her in there.....
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

lol. Really. LOL

I'm a Times travel writer. I don't go out there and sneer (I'd soon lose my job). I go out there and smile and say Thankyou a lot. Just as I do in the hundreds of other countries and hotels and restaurants I visit, which offer me a global perspective very few get.

Moreover, I love France for its landscapes and culture, its history and art, even the people (who can be irritating, but also immensely charming). It is enviably beautiful, and varied, from the rugged glories of Corsica to the exquisite prettiness of Provence to the wilds of the Cevennes, and on and on.

But there IS a major problem with stagnation. Major major. And the relative decline, maybe absolute decline of the food is a symptom of that. The overpriced wine thing is different, it's just snobbery (and actually a symptom of commercial success and brilliant brand management).

Anyway, I gotta go write my piece about France. I will be enthusiastic. I'm a travel journalist.

A bientot.
    You're a great wordsmith. You have sampled more variety but have no better inate understanding of food and drink than my uncle's gardener who'd never left Sturminster Newton.
    My wife and I had our honeymoon in Sturminster Newton, 41 years ago. The food and drink were rather good. In fact, the place is still going, under the same owners.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nobody likes a show off.
    Says the bloke with bright red Shoes of Power!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

Another case in point.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

Case in point.
    What does that have to do with anything?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Would you say those problems exist because France is in the EU, or despite it?
  • Options
    Blackford doesn't half bang on. Even Bercow was bored of him in the end !
  • Options
    A disorderly hard Brexit could see the loss of 100,000 jobs in Scotland, the country’s main economics thinktank, the Fraser of Allander Institute, has forecast.

Citing the Bank of England’s worst case scenario that the economy would shrink by 8.9% after Brexit, the institute, based at the University of Strathclyde, said that would reverse recent steady growth in Scotland’s economy, now growing at a faster rate than the UK as a whole.

It would have twice the impact on the Scottish economy than the 2008 financial crash, which saw tens of thousands of jobs cut in the finance sector and other industries.

Odd, then, that the SNP are risking a No Deal crash out by not supporting the EU's deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/dec/11/brexit-deal-latest-theresa-may-eu-juncker-tells-may-deal-could-be-clarified-but-no-room-whatsoever-for-renegotiation-politics-live

15:14
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Sneak preview of the forthcoming (maybe) SNP-Labour Gov't.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

Case in point.
    I am reminded of David Brent and Gareth - difference between assistant sales manager and assistant to the sales manager.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Sneak preview of the forthcoming (maybe) SNP-Labour Gov't.
    Yes, the 'progressive alliance' if it comes will be very funny.
  • Options
    On topic: I'm not sure I'd read too much into any poll looking ahead to a contest beyond March 29th next year at the moment!

Happy to back the general thrust that London 2020 is Sadiq's to lose but, erm, 18 months is a long time in politics right now :)
  • Options

A disorderly hard Brexit could see the loss of 100,000 jobs in Scotland, the country’s main economics thinktank, the Fraser of Allander Institute, has forecast.

Citing the Bank of England’s worst case scenario that the economy would shrink by 8.9% after Brexit, the institute, based at the University of Strathclyde, said that would reverse recent steady growth in Scotland’s economy, now growing at a faster rate than the UK as a whole.

It would have twice the impact on the Scottish economy than the 2008 financial crash, which saw tens of thousands of jobs cut in the finance sector and other industries.

Odd, then, that the SNP are risking a No Deal crash out by not supporting the EU's deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/dec/11/brexit-deal-latest-theresa-may-eu-juncker-tells-may-deal-could-be-clarified-but-no-room-whatsoever-for-renegotiation-politics-live

"could".
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Donny43 said:

"could".
    Great word that. You can disbelieve everything you read since "could" means that the author is admitting it is all rubbish ...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

lol. Really. LOL

A bientot.
    Travel clearly doesn't open the mind of all people.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

QED.

Case in point.
    "According to a former colleague who admitted to not knowing her personally, "the problem about these claims[clarification needed] is that they risk misleading people into believing that she has finance management skills and experience which qualify her for senior posts in government"; her actual job was to work (sometimes part-time) on “special projects”, mostly for the Chief Investment Officer, which included negotiating pay terms for senior fund managers. Towards the end of her time, she advised on a number of governance issues, but she had no-one reporting to her in either role"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Leadsom#Financial_career
This discussion has been closed.