Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Trump’s legal troubles mount punters now make it a 34% chan

123457»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,032

TOPPING said:

Utter utter shambolic shitshow.

We cannot, CANNOT go on like this.

Now people begin to realise why Dave couldn't have "made preparations" for a Leave vote. Just to game the various scenarios of leave would have taken more than the four years of his remaining government's term.

His failing? He genuinely didn't expect that there were enough idiots in the country to vote Leave or that they would then be lead by morons in their cabinet in their attempt to do so.
    No, it shows exactly why Cameron should have set up a commission, stuffed with Brexiteers of various shades, to establish a version of Brexit to be put to the referendum, and why Theresa May should have done the same before triggering Article 50.
    But as I keep on pointing out, such a Commission would not have worked.

Firstly, it was not in the interests of the hardcore Brexiteers to serve on it, as that would legitimise it and make it harder to argue against.

Secondly, Brexit was won by offering many different visions of Brexit. Hate immigrants? Brexit'll stop them. Want to stop the ECJ rulings? Vote Brexit. Want to go into EEA or EFTA? Vote Brexit. Slightly miffed at the world in general? Stick one to the man and vote Brexit.

There is no way leavers would have coalesced behind one image of Brexit as produced by a commission, as it would narrow Brexit's appeal and cause them to lose the vote. Worse, it would have caused them to argue amongst themselves.

Thirdly, it would give Brexiteers yet another thing to argue against. It would be called an establishment stitch-up, run by people who weren't *real* Brexiteers (mirroring the stupid arguments we've seen on here recently), who want an image of Brexit that isn't Brexit.

Fourthly, it would just be called a delaying tactic. Cast your mind back four or five years, and remember the howls of disgust shown by Brexiteers towards Cameron for not calling a referendum as PM (and even the stupid calls for him to have one on the already-signed Lisbon Treaty). There's no way Brexiteers would have wanted the delay.

And most of all, Brexiteers could have done this years before the referendum and agreed their position. But they didn't. Because they could never agree a position, as we're seeing today.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Mortimer said:

Doesn't there need to be a vote to pull the vote, now?

Frankly, I'm not sure the Govt win that vote...

Yes, Mrs Leadsom is now faced with the unenviable task of trying to get a programme motion through the house.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

We'd need to check our bets to see which ones were tied specifically to Tuesday.
    Oh blinking heck.

I've only ever had two bets with PBers.

The first with Alastair had to be voided, because it was based on Gisella Stuart standing again in Edgbaston.

The second, with HYUFD, looks like its going to go the same way...

Politics, spoiling my PB fun!
  • Options
    When does Bercow announce which amendments are going to be voted on?
  • Options

What price Spurs and Brexit vote both through to next round by close tomorrow night?

I'm going out on a limb to say I'd want slightly better than evens to back the double!

That's hilarious. Can't resist accommodating you, my fine fellow.

You can have 6/4. ;-)
    Sorely tempted PtP but the time value of money means I couldn't possibly tie the £ up for some 36 hours....
    Why not? The £ will be virtually worthless by then.

You can have 7/4 if you promise to pay in a hard currency.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    The second statement leaves the door open for a new deal. Nothing the EU says means much.
  • Options
    Of course, that simply means that the Benn amendment will now become a proxy for the MV. Mr Speaker will surely allow that to come to a vote?
  • Options
    But Magic Grandpa will get us a totally different and better deal in a few months?
  • Options
    Vote pulled
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Vote pulled

How ?!
  • Options
    Sky confirmed vote delayed
  • Options
    Mrs Leadsom is to lay a programme motion after the PM's statement.

That's gonna be one fun vote...
  • Options

But Magic Grandpa will get us a totally different and better deal in a few months?
    If anyone can locate hidden unicorns it is 'Magic' Grandpa.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Now people begin to realise why Dave couldn't have "made preparations" for a Leave vote. Just to game the various scenarios of leave would have taken more than the four years of his remaining government's term.

His failing? He genuinely didn't expect that there were enough idiots in the country to vote Leave or that they would then be lead by morons in their cabinet in their attempt to do so.
    No, it shows exactly why Cameron should have set up a commission, stuffed with Brexiteers of various shades, to establish a version of Brexit to be put to the referendum, and why Theresa May should have done the same before triggering Article 50.
    But as I keep on pointing out, such a Commission would not have worked.

Firstly, it was not in the interests of the hardcore Brexiteers to serve on it, as that would legitimise it and make it harder to argue against.

Secondly, Brexit was won by offering many different visions of Brexit. Hate immigrants? Brexit'll stop them. Want to stop the ECJ rulings? Vote Brexit. Want to go into EEA or EFTA? Vote Brexit. Slightly miffed at the world in general? Stick one to the man and vote Brexit.

There is no way leavers would have coalesced behind one image of Brexit as produced by a commission, as it would narrow Brexit's appeal and cause them to lose the vote. Worse, it would have caused them to argue amongst themselves.

Thirdly, it would give Brexiteers yet another thing to argue against. It would be called an establishment stitch-up, run by people who weren't *real* Brexiteers (mirroring the stupid arguments we've seen on here recently), who want an image of Brexit that isn't Brexit.

Fourthly, it would just be called a delaying tactic. Cast your mind back four or five years, and remember the howls of disgust shown by Brexiteers towards Cameron for not calling a referendum as PM (and even the stupid calls for him to have one on the already-signed Lisbon Treaty). There's no way Brexiteers would have wanted the delay.

And most of all, Brexiteers could have done this years before the referendum and agreed their position. But they didn't. Because they could never agree a position, as we're seeing today.
    Exactly, there is no agreed Brexit vision -- not even now, not even from the ERG or Ukip.

But Cameron should still have proceeded on that basis. The carrot for Brexiteers would be the referendum (and gongs, baubles and ermine if needs be). Remember that George Osborne opposed calling the referendum so let us not fall for the revisionist line that it was inevitable or somehow Gordon Brown's fault.
  • Options
    I suspect that the vote is being delayed to give time for the PM to ask for something at this week's summit.
  • Options
    Actually Leadsom seems to be under the impression the House won't push her programme motion to a vote?!

I find the chances of that almost zero.
  • Options
    This was all so predictable and has been for days.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

getting cameroons to accept Dave fked up is even harder than getting Labourites to accept they screwed the economy.
    Getting leavers to admit they fked up is harder than both of the above.

Thanks to the loony ERGers and their ilk, it might just be that they've lost Brexit. And sadly that means nothing good for the fabric of our society.
  • Options

I suspect that the vote is being delayed to give time for the PM to ask for something at this week's summit.

That is one of the funniest comments ever on PB.

Probably unintentionally :lol:
  • Options

can kick can kick can kick can kick

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN, JUST GO
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2018

The thing is it is all futile. The only thing that will break the logjam is no backstop or "time limited not a backstop" backstop, and the EU aren't going to agree to that.
  • Options

Actually Leadsom seems to be under the impression the House won't push her programme motion to a vote?!

I find the chances of that almost zero.
    I don't think there will be a problem if the reason given is to give a chance for talks with the EU this week.
  • Options
    Shares in popcorn supplier, Popcorn2U, have hit a seven year high on FTSE 350.
  • Options

can kick can kick can kick can kick

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN, JUST GO
    You do mean the EU Council meeting next week don't you ??
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

It has long been thought that she would be seeking "concessions" at this summit, the only difference now is there will be no vote before it. Mrs May lives to fight another day.
  • Options
    NEW Thread
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    What is Stephen Barclay going to say about Article 50? We're definely not withdrawing it under any circumstances, nudge nudge wink wink?
  • Options

The thing is it is all futile. The only thing that will break the logjam is no backstop or "time limited not a backstop" backstop, and the EU aren't going to agree to that.
    You are probably right, but maybe there is some 'clarification' available. I doubt if it will work, but we shall see.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    May to survive to 2019 is the political equivalent of backing Many Clouds in the Jan 2017 Cotswold Chase.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

There is no way leavers would have coalesced behind one image of Brexit as produced by a commission, as it would narrow Brexit's appeal and cause them to lose the vote.

I'm not sure that's true, as part of Project Fear was "you don't know what sort of Leave you will get".
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

There is no way leavers would have coalesced behind one image of Brexit as produced by a commission, as it would narrow Brexit's appeal and cause them to lose the vote.

I'm not sure that's true, as part of Project Fear was "you don't know what sort of Leave you will get".
    In which case, 'Project Fear' was correct, wasn't it? ;)
  • Options

Exactly, there is no agreed Brexit vision -- not even now, not even from the ERG or Ukip.

But Cameron should still have proceeded on that basis. The carrot for Brexiteers would be the referendum (and gongs, baubles and ermine if needs be). Remember that George Osborne opposed calling the referendum so let us not fall for the revisionist line that it was inevitable or somehow Gordon Brown's fault.

It's not a 'revisionist' line. A referendum was inevitable - eventually. And there's a good argument to be made that the longer it was left, the harder it would be for remain to win.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:

RoyalBlue said:

I back May’s deal, but if it looks we’ll strongly Remain I’d be tempted to switch to help put the issue to bed.

LOL

If we leave, every problem for the next decade is going to be blamed on leaving.

Brexit will haunt all of us to our graves
    Next decade? next half century more likely....
    Well Labour still blame Thatcher for most of the countries woes and the Tories will continue to blame Labour for "there's no money left" for the foreseeable future.
    Ahem and the winter of discontent - when't the half century anniversary of that? Not far off.
    Jan/Feb 2029.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited December 2018
    Not turning out to be a great day following on from the death this morning of my dear business partner of 40 years we have just been informed of the death of a very special friend of 50 years

Tempus fugit for us oldies
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Not turning out to be a great day following on from the death this morning of my dear business partner of 40 years we have just been informed of the death of a very special friend of 50 years

Tempus fugit for us oldies

That's terrible. My condolences
This discussion has been closed.