Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In October last year LAB had an average poll lead of 2.4% – th

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Surprised nobody other than HYUFD is interested in Justine Greening hinting at a leadership bid. What odds can be got on her?

Speaking as a great fan of Justine Greening as Education Secretary where her key talent was not to royally bugger things up a la all her predecessors and especially Nicky Morgan and Michael Gove, whatever they are they're still much too short. You need more than that from a PM.
    I’ve* been doing some research into phonetics vs whole word and other trading approaches

Do you have a view

* I = my wife
    @Charles

No (and do you mean 'training' rather than 'trading')?

The best advice I could give you would be to find what method works for your(?) child and go with it. That may be phonics, or phonetics, or spelling out letter by letter, or a mixture.

One of the most damaging ideas of the National Curriculum, brought to its apogee with those stupid Literacy and Numeracy hours, was that all children learn the same way, and therefore teach them the same way and they will all learn the same things at the same rate - with predictably disastrous results.

Without wishing to sound all Vygotskean, this idea was such obvious and total bollocks that you wonder even somebody of the limited intellectual calibre of the average official at the DFE would entertain it for more than a second.
    In Scotland we have the delights of the very badly named Curriculum for Excellence. This involves listening to a story tape of the book before the children “read” it with the consequence that a child with a good aural memory, like my son, doesn’t need to learn to read at all. It was L2 before we worked that one out.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018
    Sean_F said:

I'd never heard of that.

Not just cats: humans as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immurement#Human_sacrifice_when_constructing_buildings

It is sometimes said that the nursery rhyme 'London Bridge is falling down' relates to walling up children in the construction.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Both major parties look a bit high here - and the Libdems too low.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    justin124 said:

Both major parties look a bit high here - and the Libdems too low.
    It's simultaneously the joint highest share for Lab in any poll in 2 months and the outright highest for Con in 5 months!
This discussion has been closed.