Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Will May reach and deal and

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Brexit fanatics should be a little careful about blaming "Europhile elites" for the ridiculous state we find ourselves in. It is about time they took ownership of the shithole they have dug for the rest of us. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/personality-disorder/

Well that proves it. You must be right because there is an NHS website about mental confusion.

Or did you accidentally link to a page you personally visit regularly?
    You didn't laugh at the hilarious remainer joke at the expense of those with mental health ?

Not very woke of you.
    Which allegory or comparison will be used next for Brexit.

Add # to your vote for the following:

1) Mental illness
    2) World War I
    3) World War II
    4) Something by George Orwell
    5) Suicide cult
    6) A historical story from antiquity, or roman times.
    7) An advertising campaign Roger may or may not have worked on.
    8) Childbirth/divorce.
    Sunday's thread will be using 2, 3, and 6.

It may also feature AV.
    Do you think the EU are going to make May sign the treaty in a certain palace in Paris with particularly picturesque gardens xD ?
    It would be amusing.
    Though 20 years later the country forced to sign the earlier Treaty at that Palace was led by a Fascist dictator who ended up invading most of Europe in revenge
    Russo-English alliance nailed on.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,860
    HYUFD said:

Yes, you have to admire Clegg's commitment to 'building a moral bridge between politics and tech' while taking the £1 million a year pay package his new post comes with and moving to sunny California thousands of miles from Brexit

The man's not an MP, he's as much a private citizen as David Cameron or Gordon Brown. If he wants to move to improve his lot and his family's life, I'm surprised, as a Conservative, you're so opposed. Didn't a Conservative once talk about getting on your bike and looking for work?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Brexit fanatics should be a little careful about blaming "Europhile elites" for the ridiculous state we find ourselves in. It is about time they took ownership of the shithole they have dug for the rest of us. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/personality-disorder/

Well that proves it. You must be right because there is an NHS website about mental confusion.

You didn't laugh at the hilarious remainer joke at the expense of those with mental health ?

Not very woke of you.

1) Mental illness
    2) World War I
    3) World War II
    5) Suicide cult
    8) Childbirth/divorce.

It may also feature AV.
    Do you think the EU are going to make May sign the treaty in a certain palace in Paris with particularly picturesque gardens xD ?
    It would be amusing.
    Though 20 years later the country forced to sign the earlier Treaty at that Palace was led by a Fascist dictator who ended up invading most of Europe in revenge
    Russo-English alliance nailed on.
    Putin-Farage clone alliance if Brussels is not careful
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Not very woke of you.

1) Mental illness
    2) World War I
    3) World War II
    5) Suicide cult
    8) Childbirth/divorce.

It may also feature AV.
    It would be amusing.
    But we'd learn the lesson of Hitler and not doing something so foolish as six years later Germany ended up getting partitioned.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Not very woke of you.

1) Mental illness
    2) World War I
    3) World War II
    5) Suicide cult
    8) Childbirth/divorce.

It may also feature AV.
    It would be amusing.
    But we'd learn the lesson of Hitler and not doing something so foolish as six years later Germany ended up getting partitioned.
    Yet Germany was still the largest economy in Europe 20 years after that
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, you have to admire Clegg's commitment to 'building a moral bridge between politics and tech' while taking the £1 million a year pay package his new post comes with and moving to sunny California thousands of miles from Brexit

The man's not an MP, he's as much a private citizen as David Cameron or Gordon Brown. If he wants to move to improve his lot and his family's life, I'm surprised, as a Conservative, you're so opposed. Didn't a Conservative once talk about getting on your bike and looking for work?
    Where did I say I was opposed? If I was in his position I would have done the same.

Just find his quote about 'building a moral bridge between politics and tech' rather amusing
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Because they were a part of the EC/EU.

There's a lesson in that.

Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. We must be mad, literally mad, as a nation to be permitting the destruction of our economy by Brexiting.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:

£1m a year? Someone is paying Cleggy £1m a year?

If evidence were ever needed that Facebook is a monopolistic supplier abusing its dominant market position....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

If evidence were ever needed that Facebook is a monopolistic supplier abusing its dominant market position....
    Indeed, though Deputy PM on the CV probably helped
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited October 2018
    stodge said:

An honest answer is that I think she is trying to bring about a Brexit that does not crash our manufacturing or our union. She is awkward and very poor at communicating but she has an unswerving devotion to public service, is honest and stubborn.

I cannot imagine anyone else doing much better and I do think the public realise that she has inherited a poisoned chalice and she is more respected by them than many on here think.

I believe she is working on a deal that will not be acceptable to the ERG, but takes a much wider view than their ultra stance, and she is likely to get an agreement by the end of the year, bring it back to the HOC and tell the House here is the deal. You make your choice now

Of course if she loses a vnoc then anything could happen

Thank you for the honest answer.

I do agree she has played a bad hand to the best of her abilities and no one questions her honesty and dedication. I'm not sure she has been well advised or has trusted her own instincts enough at times.

The trouble is we are all impaled on the spike of Unionism whether we agree with it or not.
    It is almost impossible to satisfy all the warring groups and she may well have been poorly advised but maybe her advisers were more in touch with what may be possible even though it has the ability to anger everyone

All the outrage over a possible extension to the transistion is a perfect example. Angela Merkel offers an extension and TM says she could consider it if it helps in the post WDA negotiations but all the children on all sides jump up and down in faux outrage as they see it as another way of beating her.

So maybe, someone with nous is actually just getting on with the bigger picture and leaving the children in their playgroup
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Having attended the finest university in the world helped even more.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

His principal duty as DPM was to do what George told him to do. And in fairness he did.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

That he destroyed his Party as a force on his watch - not so much....

Peak Facebook?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,860
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Where did I say I was opposed? If I was in his position I would have done the same.

Just find his quote about 'building a moral bridge between politics and tech' rather amusing
    It's up there with that Cameron quip about not resigning if he lost the EU Referendum. What a laugh!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Peak Facebook?
    I think we are well past that. I will leave it to @Morris_Dancer to find a suitable historical analogy of the decline.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

TGOHF said:

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Not very woke of you.
    It wasn't a joke you prat. Blaming others for your own actions is a trait of those with personality disorder at worst and at best completely pathetic. Leavers need to start apologising not boasting
    Gentlepersons, gather round, Remainer going full gammon here. Stand back, let the nice man huff into his paper bag before he fulminates again.
    "Full quinoa" surely for a Remainer ?
    Quinoa is the choice of the working class I'll have you know.

The Waitrose in Sheffield ran out last month.
    I find traditional gravel works out cheaper on my driveway.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I actually thought Davis and Boris were within a few years of each other. Surprising.

Actually Davis is 69, he turns 70 in December.

Boris is 54 and over 15 years younger than Davis
    A crowning glory to DD's career then.....
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I actually thought Davis and Boris were within a few years of each other. Surprising.

A crowning glory to DD's career then.....
    In both cases, unfrozen turd polishing.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Peak Facebook?
    I think we are well past that. I will leave it to @Morris_Dancer to find a suitable historical analogy of the decline.
    Don't encourage him for God's sake.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Omnium said:

TGOHF said:

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Not very woke of you.
    It wasn't a joke you prat. Blaming others for your own actions is a trait of those with personality disorder at worst and at best completely pathetic. Leavers need to start apologising not boasting
    Gentlepersons, gather round, Remainer going full gammon here. Stand back, let the nice man huff into his paper bag before he fulminates again.
    "Full quinoa" surely for a Remainer ?
    Quinoa is the choice of the working class I'll have you know.

The Waitrose in Sheffield ran out last month.
    I find traditional gravel works out cheaper on my driveway.
    The little 'un has a tray I fill up with wholegrain couscous so he can play with his diggers.

It's small enough to be pretend 'soil', yet large enough that I can just pick it up and put it back in the tray ... ;)
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    They should be happy that one despised figure has been removed from the campaign. Now they just need to get rid of Blair
  • Options

They should be happy that one despised figure has been removed from the campaign. Now they just need to get rid of Blair
    To be fair, if all the ghosts of EU past are removed from the campaign to rejoin, that would improve their chances. A fresh faced youthful campaign with a positive vision would surely work better
  • Options

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Peak Facebook?
    It's much more fun to find *future* analogies:

"It reminds me when the Faragian armada declared war on the Bruxellian fleet near the Tannhäuser Gate..."
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Really? I thought he was at Cambridge.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited October 2018

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Peak Facebook?
    It's much more fun to find *future* analogies:

"It reminds me when the Faragian armada declared war on the Bruxellian fleet near the Tannhäuser Gate..."
    Facebook are going to get pummelled like Starfleet at the Battle of Wolf 359 or the Empire at the Battle of Yavin.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Come on, they have excellent standards, they don't let just anyone in as Diane Abbott and Richard Burgon can attest.

Oxford let in Jeffrey Archer, vile colonial racist Cecil Rhodes, the butcher of so many British soldiers, Douglas Haig, and racist and Nazi collaborator Edward VIII.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Because they were a part of the EC/EU.

There's a lesson in that.

Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. We must be mad, literally mad, as a nation to be permitting the destruction of our economy by Brexiting.
    Even the most pessimistic forecasts about No Deal predict we would lose a few percent of GDP growth over the next decade or so. That's the same as a steep recession. Certainly nasty, and a real shame, but not "the destruction of our economy".

Get a grip!

Also, nations adapt. Doors open as well as close.
    I was just paraphrasing Enoch Powell.

FWIW I think no deal will last a few weeks, it won't be long term.

The government will fall if it doesn't correct the mistake of no deal PDQ, so we'll get a deal eventually with the EU, which will favour the EU even more.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Come on, they have excellent standards, they don't let just anyone in as Diane Abbott and Richard Burgon can attest.

Oxford let in Jeffrey Archer, vile colonial racist Cecil Rhodes, the butcher of so many British soldiers, Douglas Haig, and racist and Nazi collaborator Edward VIII.
    Burgess, Maclean, Philby, Prince Charles, Cromwell, Alistair Campbell and Lord Melbourne all say hello.

Edit - and I had forgotten Nick Griffin.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Jeffrey Archer was not an undergraduate at Oxford.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

In fairness, he did still spend three years there.
  • Options
    The Nick Clegg news is more evidence of how all things in life have a purpose. Clegg unexpectedly lost Sheffield Hallam, which was visibly a blow. But had he "won" that battle, he wouldn't have win his new million pound job in California.

The Bastard.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Doing a one year Diploma in Education...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

It only takes one year at Oxford to turn a man. ;)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

His own fault, he should have done an easy subject like PPE.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    What is it with Presidents saying the exact opposite of what they mean....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45907657
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought the organisers were being a bit reckless in letting the expectations for numbers at the march tomorrow run away a bit. But I've just been trying to find a bus to go on and they all seem to be booked up. There are a few seats going in Brighton thanks to another one being laid on - but all the places in other coaches in West Sussex, around a dozen, are gone. I've never known anything like it.
  • Options
    Re the discussion on the previous thread about whether the GDP stats are measuring the economy accurately.

Much of the sector data suggests that the economy is doing very well - unemployment very low, construction (and house prices) at record levels, spending on imported tat and foreign holidays also at record levels, government borrowing being much lower than predicted.

Yet some parts of the country are struggling - town centres looking run down, public services needing more money, various retail and restaurant chains in difficulties - which don't equate with the 'boom' like other aspects.

Nor for that matter does the big improvement in the UK trade balance which has never happened during a 'boom'.

I can only think that some people are doing very well while others are struggling with it all averaging out somehow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I actually think McKinley has done some good work in parliament, his Gibraltar bill is a nice example of a good cross party initiative

But a by-election in Thanet South would be good fun, we've not a had a by-election in ages !

https://www.channel4.com/news/tory-mp-craig-mackinlay-over-spent-while-standing-against-farage-court-hears?fbclid=IwAR363P9YRv8krU0qUmLKt0dZZkhHPWfPOvs1XgKtzcrb9fnV3gaAfGDzXKA
  • Options
    No deal better than a bad deal for the Germans:

Germany, Forschungsgruppe Wahlen poll:

"Brexit: The European Union should make concessions towards the United Kingdom."

Yes: 13%
    No: 81%

Field work: 16/10/18 – 18/10/18
    Sample size: 1,117
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Extraordinary poll from Germany:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

CDU/CSU-EPP: 27% (-1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 20% (+3)
    AfD-EFDD: 16%
    SPD-S&D: 14% (-3)
    LINKE-LEFT: 10%
    FDP-ALDE: 8%

Sample size: 1,117"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects

This, on the SPD's woes, was excellent. Reminds me very much of the plight of contemporary Blairites.

https://www.ft.com/content/a1f88c3c-d154-11e8-a9f2-7574db66bcd5

They've fallen a long way since Brandt.
    Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Those of us who were around on this site during the 2005 Tory leadership election may recall that DD's supporters would often refer to Malcolm Rifkind (who was considering a run) as "over the hill".
    Davis is only 3 years younger than Rifkind, and that election was 13 years ago. "Do the math" as they say.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342

I thought the organisers were being a bit reckless in letting the expectations for numbers at the march tomorrow run away a bit. But I've just been trying to find a bus to go on and they all seem to be booked up. There are a few seats going in Brighton thanks to another one being laid on - but all the places in other coaches in West Sussex, around a dozen, are gone. I've never known anything like it.

The Standard has it as a full-page "Come with us" front page - haven't seen such naked partisanship outside a General Election.
  • Options

The Standard has it as a full-page "Come with us" front page - haven't seen such naked partisanship outside a General Election.
    We had a leaflet for it through our letterbox tbe other day. Someone is spending some money ...
  • Options

We had a leaflet for it through our letterbox tbe other day. Someone is spending some money ...
    Unless it was delivered by an activist.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,373

Remember: he wants her chopped up in his freezer.
  • Options

There's still printing and organisation costs.

I'd expect my area to be more fertile ground than, say, Hartlepool. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,790
    Pulpstar said:

"Brexit: The European Union should make concessions towards the United Kingdom."

So it isn't just the British public who are extremely silly and don't understand what a negotiation is then. We're clearly more alike than we think.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

So it isn't just the British public who are extremely silly and don't understand what a negotiation is then. We're clearly more alike than we think.
    No surrender.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Brexit is madness. I see no upside to it. The press (Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph and Daily Express, the sun etc) gifted Brexit on the UK, maybe other publications can help stop this insane move towards a worse deal than we get at the moment!
  • Options
    Off-topic:

A couple of years ago Tesla claimed that all their new cars were being produced with full self-driving hardware, to be updated with software later:
    https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/all-tesla-cars-being-produced-now-have-full-self-driving-hardware

And now they've announced they're dropping the self-driving option on their entire range.
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10/tesla-quietly-drops-full-self-driving-option-as-it-adds-45000-model-3/

As regular readers may guess, I am drastically unsurprised. Musk's mouth had promised something even his gigantic pot- and Ambien-addled brain couldn't deliver ... ;)

I expect a lot of partial refunds / expensive reworks later ...
  • Options

There's still printing and organisation costs.

I'd expect my area to be more fertile ground than, say, Hartlepool. ;)
    Just googled, and there is no bus from Hartlepool that has made enough impact to get the algorithm interested. But Hull has -

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/busload-people-hull-trying-stop-2120085

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45915017 Assange suing Ecuador where he's currently kept safe from the UK legal systemUS Supermax life imprisonment is err interesting.
  • Options

Really? I know London is not really very Brexity but even so I'd have thought it would be commercially unwise to come down heavily on one side.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45915017 Assange suing Ecuador where he's currently kept safe from the UK legal systemUS Supermax life imprisonment is err interesting.

Ecuador could make a fortune by putting a camera in Assange's room and posting it online. It'd make a great reality TV show, and he doesn't care about privacy anyway. Or indeed, anything other than himself. ;)
  • Options

I was trying to work out what you were talking about. I looked at the ES website.Not very swish is it. I imagine the Editor's salary takes priority.

I presume the Evening Osborne has come out for a People's March. I think that's a little rich from him. He can change his mind, and he can think that the matter wasn't quite settled, but he really isn't in a position to do so. Somewhat dismal from him.

I'm far from happy too about Blair, Clegg etc consorting with foreign powers to confound our democracy. Flowery language, but that's what they're doing. I'm not suggesting they should be shot for treason, but whatever their case might be their actions are wrong.

Clegg nipping off to the US, and Blair (I made this up) claiming tax relief on the years 1800-1825 rather reinforces that point.

There should be no 2nd referendum without delivering something based on the first. I think Mrs May's headlong drive for leaving the EU on 29mar is precisely this. I actually think that it's the one important point too. Bang! 29March if we leave then the whole sorry saga is at an end, and we can find our way again with parliamentary democracy.

There too should be no 2nd referendum anyway as the precedent is awful. Unless the action associated with the Referndum can be enacted the next day I think they should be made illegal.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    All quiet on the Brexit front tonight.

Is it because Remainers wearily realise a Deal is about to be done, and Leavers wearily realise the Deal is utter vassalised shit?
  • Options

Really? I know London is not really very Brexity but even so I'd have thought it would be commercially unwise to come down heavily on one side.
    It is a free newspaper, who do they have to lose? I doubt advertises would cut their spending on adverts. Paradoxically, it could boost circulation or people wanting to look at the website with such an ardent position on the biggest issue in play?
  • Options

Off-topic:

A couple of years ago Tesla claimed that all their new cars were being produced with full self-driving hardware, to be updated with software later:
    https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/all-tesla-cars-being-produced-now-have-full-self-driving-hardware

And now they've announced they're dropping the self-driving option on their entire range.
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10/tesla-quietly-drops-full-self-driving-option-as-it-adds-45000-model-3/

As regular readers may guess, I am drastically unsurprised. Musk's mouth had promised something even his gigantic pot- and Ambien-addled brain couldn't deliver ... ;)

Total self driving cars will come eventually, but 'enhanced' driving is probably better for now whilst the technology matures. I reckon the day a car can navigate North Devon on its own will be a good sort of turing test for self driving, rather than the somewhat easier freeways of the bay area.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Off-topic:

Total self driving cars will come eventually, but 'enhanced' driving is probably better for now whilst the technology matures. I reckon the day a car can navigate North Devon on its own will be a good sort of turing test for self driving, rather than the somewhat easier freeways of the bay area.
    'enhanced driving' is not what Tesla were saying their cars could support in hardware.
  • Options

Is it because Remainers wearily realise a Deal is about to be done, and Leavers wearily realise the Deal is utter vassalised shit?

Plus ca change ...

:wink:
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I'm playing Factorio, never been happier. Honestly, do you think anyone's mood depends on the state of HMG? Good things in my life: remarrying, daughter bought her first house this month, my god daughter's fifth birthday party. Bad things: discovering I've got a posterior capsular opacity wossname, dropping my spotting scope and breaking it in two.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Davis looks a good 10 years younger than he is.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

It’s quiet. Too quiet...
  • Options

It is a free newspaper, who do they have to lose? I doubt advertises would cut their spending on adverts. Paradoxically, it could boost circulation or people wanting to look at the website with such an ardent position on the biggest issue in play?
    It's always been quite poor. When I was young there was the Evening News too. I think that was a little better, may have been vice versa. What was true though of the Standard in past years was that they did have the odd good thing in their pages. Small financial scoops and (because of their schedule) they apparently broke the news on some big stories. Since it's been free its gone downhill - at least as far as I know because I don't accept the handouts. Since it's been Osborne it's got worse (at least as far as I can see from the articles I see online).

I've nothing against GO, but he is messing up something that has some merit.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    As most will be aware, there has been a lot of rain in many parts of the USA recently, and all that water has to go somewhere With the mid terms due in a few weeks, could this really be a game changer for all those anti-climate changers in the Whitehouse and the House GOPer's:
    http://www.kut.org/post/heres-what-expect-when-eight-floodgates-open-mansfield-dam?fbclid=IwAR1SqHyK4-VbrmxMfQvmVVlPcTRDRezHsBoKzi4PY61SVBapveypC4sSYVo
  • Options

Almost everyone is watching 'the Great Model Railway Challenge' on Channel 5, which is followed by 'Walking Britain's Lost Railways'.

Whilst the perverts will be watching F1 US GP practice 2 ...

But we don't talk about those sorts. ;)

And I'm flicking between both.
  • Options

Almost everyone is watching 'the Great Model Railway Challenge' on Channel 5, which is followed by 'Walking Britain's Lost Railways'.

Love the great model railway challenge. And so does my good lady
  • Options
    Omnium said:

It's always been quite poor. When I was young there was the Evening News too. I think that was a little better, may have been vice versa. What was true though of the Standard in past years was that they did have the odd good thing in their pages. Small financial scoops and (because of their schedule) they apparently broke the news on some big stories. Since it's been free its gone downhill - at least as far as I know because I don't accept the handouts. Since it's been Osborne it's got worse (at least as far as I can see from the articles I see online).

I've nothing against GO, but he is messing up something that has some merit.
    I usually pick up a copy when in London but it usually does not have anything interesting in it. To be fair to GO, it is hard to keep copy interesting with such a large quantity of online information available.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Boris behaves like a 10 year old!
  • Options

There's been some debate about whether the series is good for the hobby or not. I can see it being brilliant: let's beat the rivet-counters. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,790

Neither, just that everyone even the most committed needed a break.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Sean_F said:

FPT. Mr Dancer I take no pleasure in our nation being a laughing stock, quite the reverse. It is one of the reasons I feel genuine anger toward many Leavers and their faux patriotism.

There are undoubtedly some Leave supporters who like Mr Dancer articulate their thinking well, though I still struggle to see the logic in isolating our country from a large trading block on our doorstep when the benefits are so unclear and the counterarguments to Brexit so logical and clear. What we are saying is that 27 other countries that are happy to pool their sovereignty for considerable benefit are wrong and we (or rather 52% of "us") are right. If there is such a thing as the wisdom of the crowd, we are clearly not very wise.

The one thing I will take some pleasure from is the opprobrium that history will quickly pore on Johnson Fox and Davis for their conceit, self aggrandisement and lies.

May must surely go down as the worst PM of the modern era. With Cameron close behind.
    Don't be silly. Whilst it's true that Theresa May is not temperamentally well-suited to the job, and has a tin-ear politically, she's actually doing reasonably well given the awful circumstances and the lack of a majority: she's managed to balance the opposing factions, the economy is being exceptionally well-run, and it's looking as though there's a good chance she'll manage a reasonable deal with the EU, if parliament doesn't wreck it. That's a hell of a lot better a record than Blair, for the obvious reason, or Brown, for multiple obvious reasons, and puts her on a par with (say) John Major, and better than Callaghan.

Cameron was of course the best PM, bar Maggie, of the last 50 years, and I don't expect to see another PM as good as him in my remaining lifetime.
    I don't think anything in modern times really compares for sheer dismal failure than the period chronicled by Philip Whitehead in the Writing on the Wall (which covered the 1967-1981 period).
    Yes, I've been following politics since the end of the Macmillan period, and I'd agree with that. It was a collective failure of the political class and of both parties, rather than of any individual PM, though.

It's also interesting to note why it happened: failure to grasp the nettle whilst there was still time to do so. The whole history of the last forty years might well have been different if Wilson hadn't bottled it when Barbara Castle came up with her In Place of Strife proposals.
    It was not Wilson - or Barbara Castle - who bottled it though, but James Callaghan and Roy Jenkins!
  • Options

Brexit is madness. I see no upside to it. The press (Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph and Daily Express, the sun etc) gifted Brexit on the UK, maybe other publications can help stop this insane move towards a worse deal than we get at the moment!
    Well, that’s silly. There are upsides and downsides to everything.

It depends what you value and how you look at it.
  • Options

There's been some debate about whether the series is good for the hobby or not. I can see it being brilliant: let's beat the rivet-counters. ;)
    We just enjoy the ingenuity and schoolboys errors like laying your track without making certain your trains can pass each other on the bend without derailing and one team captain thinking his was so good, even though he knew he was breaking the rules, but expected to win because his was so much better than anyone else

Bit like Brexit, each faction thinks it will win because it is so much better than the others
  • Options
    I
    Omnium said:

I was trying to work out what you were talking about. I looked at the ES website.Not very swish is it. I imagine the Editor's salary takes priority.

I presume the Evening Osborne has come out for a People's March. I think that's a little rich from him. He can change his mind, and he can think that the matter wasn't quite settled, but he really isn't in a position to do so. Somewhat dismal from him.

I'm far from happy too about Blair, Clegg etc consorting with foreign powers to confound our democracy. Flowery language, but that's what they're doing. I'm not suggesting they should be shot for treason, but whatever their case might be their actions are wrong.

Clegg nipping off to the US, and Blair (I made this up) claiming tax relief on the years 1800-1825 rather reinforces that point.

There should be no 2nd referendum without delivering something based on the first. I think Mrs May's headlong drive for leaving the EU on 29mar is precisely this. I actually think that it's the one important point too. Bang! 29March if we leave then the whole sorry saga is at an end, and we can find our way again with parliamentary democracy.

There too should be no 2nd referendum anyway as the precedent is awful. Unless the action associated with the Referndum can be enacted the next day I think they should be made illegal.
    Blair and his missus are little more than Middle East Asset Strippers now, utter filth merchants
  • Options
    edited October 2018

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Boris behaves like a 10 year old!
    A 2 year old might be a better description - 'the terrible twos'
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Doubly perverted because it's pissing it down in Austin so there's no actual cars and lots of nerd chat about front wings and bargeboards!
  • Options

Doubly perverted because it's pissing it down in Austin so there's no actual cars and lots of nerd chat about front wings and bargeboards!
    And seeing which presenters are getting saucy sauce from a notable 'gineer. ;)
  • Options

We just enjoy the ingenuity and schoolboys errors like laying your track without making certain your trains can pass each other on the bend without derailing and one team captain thinking his was so good, even though he knew he was breaking the rules, but expected to win because his was so much better than anyone else

Bit like Brexit, each faction thinks it will win because it is so much better than the others
    In his defence, people who were there (including other teams) suggest that was more in the production and editing than reality.

On this topic: on tonight's show you truly are a train geek is you understand the name of the engine pulling Santa's elves. 'Gronk' indeed. ;)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Off-topic:

Agreed.

In the summer driving down some typically narrow Cornish lanes in our new VW Passat, the car decided to slam the brakes on suddenly when the 'Front Assist' system detected an obstacle...
    It was a stray stinging nettle hanging out from the side of the road - the brakes came on so hard, I thought I had hit something I hadn't seen!

Call me a luddite but I can't see fully driverless cars happening in my lifetime. Suspect it's an idea that will go the way of flying cars, manned moon bases and 3D TVs.
  • Options

In his defence, people who were there (including other teams) suggest that was more in the production and editing than reality.

On this topic: on tonight's show you truly are a train geek is you understand the name of the engine pulling Santa's elves. 'Gronk' indeed. ;)
    Will be watching over the weekend
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Blimey, a bit disappointing on here tonight... PB not living up to its Perpetual Brexit title.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Blimey, a bit disappointing on here tonight... PB not living up to its Perpetual Brexit title.

Just think, at some unspecified point in the future it will all be back to just "normal" politics.

Probably?

• Options
    edited October 2018

I am sure there are plenty of chapters yet to be written

Maybe all the remainers are in coaches on their way to the second referendum rally.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Off-topic:

Agreed.

In the summer driving down some typically narrow Cornish lanes in our new VW Passat, the car decided to slam the brakes on suddenly when the 'Front Assist' system detected an obstacle...
    It was a stray stinging nettle hanging out from the side of the road - the brakes came on so hard, I thought I had hit something I hadn't seen!

Call me a luddite but I can't see fully driverless cars happening in my lifetime. Suspect it's an idea that will go the way of flying cars, manned moon bases and 3D TVs.
    I take a different view. I'm notably bearish on driverless cars, and don't think well get reliably non-geofenced (and therefore useful) ones for decades.

I therefore hope it'll happen in my lifetime. ;)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Off-topic:

Agreed.

And Brexit !!!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Really good podcast. I'm with Keiran, this feels like it's running away from May.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    kle4 said:

Actually I was reading an article last night on my Macbook about May and Brexit when it literally went crazy, shut down and refused to start up again. In for repairs. Going to take the hint and relax for a few days. It should be repaired just in time to discuss the leadership contest.
  • Options

Huddesfield convictions.

They seem to have something in common, but I can't put my finger on it. The Guardian couldn't find the link either, despite showing the mug shots.
    All men?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Actually I was reading an article last night on my Macbook about May and Brexit when it literally went crazy, shut down and refused to start up again. In for repairs. Going to take the hint and relax for a few days. It should be repaired just in time to discuss the leadership contest.
    In 2021
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fuck, it might be almost as big as the 400,000 who marched to save fox-hunting???

Oh.
    “A few in Brighton.”
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

kle4 said:

In 2021
    It was an hour ago? Shame I missed it... :D
  • Options

Huddesfield convictions.

They seem to have something in common, but I can't put my finger on it. The Guardian couldn't find the link either, despite showing the mug shots.
    All men?
    Doesn't always follow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45900116

Odd how that case hasn't got the same attention from the faux-think-of-the-children brigade ...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Extraordinary poll from Germany:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

CDU/CSU-EPP: 27% (-1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 20% (+3)
    AfD-EFDD: 16%
    SPD-S&D: 14% (-3)
    LINKE-LEFT: 10%
    FDP-ALDE: 8%

Sample size: 1,117"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects

Merkel really has done what one might call a Cameron....
    The overall balance between right and left in Germany hasn't altered much since the election. It's the composition of those balances that have changed.
    I said a couple of weeks ago that it would be no surprise if the SPD were to fall down to 4th and could conceivably fall as low as 5th/6th if the FDP picked up a bit. At least they seem likely to be spared that ignominy for now...

As Nick Palmer has pointed out, will be interesting to see what Aufstehen do (rather like a German equivalent to Momentum but that's also a somewhat misleading comparison) - under PR, it might make sense for them to end up as yet another left-wing party.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fuck, it might be almost as big as the 400,000 who marched to save fox-hunting???

Oh.
    I was on the fox hunting march, more or less by accident. I won't be going to London tomorrow.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited October 2018
    Forget Brexit, this video neatly encapsulates what is so wrong with this country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45915486

What a fool this guy is!!

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    murali_s said:

This video neatly encapsulates what is so wrong with this country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45915486

What a fool this guy is!!

Was sorry to hear about your incident earlier this week. Hopefully you are on the mend. People not queueing correctly also pisses me off greatly.
This discussion has been closed.