Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest Ipsos MORI finding should worry all politicians

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2018
    On topic, why would you want people to have *faith* in politicians and governments? You can't, that's why a free society needs limited powers, separation of powers, checks and balances, transparency, human rights laws, freedom of information laws, cryptography and disrepect for authority.

The problem isn't there, it's that some voters have too much faith in politicians of their own tribe, and try to undermine the above.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975
    PMQs golden rule... if BigG reckons it is going well for Corbyn, it's going well for Corbyn.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

A lot of detail on the Novichok case here, including a detailed account of the movements of the two suspects:

http://news.met.police.uk/news/counter-terrorism-police-release-images-of-two-suspects-in-connection-with-salisbury-attack-320534

Good to know the authorities have responded to my request a few weeks ago on PB to put more of this in the public domain :wink:
    Listening to the very detailed explanation by the Met with photographic evidence it makes you proud of our forensic scientists, police and security services.

It is absolutely amazing and would expect this to have big consequences for Russia
    I agree with all of this except, sadly, the last sentence.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2018

Ishmael_Z said:

Good one from Corbyn to be fair

TM getting monstered.
    I wouldn't go that far
    Must be bad if BigG thinks she's almost getting monstered ;)
  • Options
    You may wish to skip this post if you're having your lunch, or just had your lunch

https://twitter.com/SamuelFawcett92/status/1037261867335512064
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PMQs golden rule... if BigG reckons it is going well for Corbyn, it's going well for Corbyn.

I said his quip on dancing was good
  • Options
    Mrs May's dancing is better than her performance at PMQs today.
  • Options
    Silence on the Tory benches when Corbyn said Chequers is dead, while May furiously shook her head.

She may need to cling to it for tactical reasons but it's making her look detached from reality.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Others have pointed out the note of caution that needs to be struck, with the past vote recall for Remain having remorselessly crept up.
    This can, of course, be the effect that has been noted in political polling where people mentally edit their own memories to having voted for "the right" result last time (so there may be some people who voted Leave have decided it was a mistake and want to remember having voted Remain instead), but that's an assumption that would have to be spelt out specifically and may or may note be sound in any case.

One interesting finding for me was on the age breakdown. When you have a significant difference age-wise in opinion, it can be one of two things:
    1 - An opinion that tends to change as we age. A good example of this is Conservative support; it's been frequently discussed that if this didn't happen, the Conservatives would have crashed in support by now. Many of the 18-24-year-olds in 1974 who were very anti-Conservative in recorded polls are now the 60+ cohort that forms their bedrock.
    2 - A cohort effect that doesn't change as we age and produces a change in overall outlook as the young age and become a larger and larger segment of society and the older generation with different opinions die off. Gay rights seems to be an example in this area; those who supported gay rights overall in youth seem to have maintained their stance into middle age.

There have been indications that Brexit opinion appears to be a cohort effect rather than an age-change effect, and Curtice's findings indicate that this is not only the case, but cohort strengths (age-wise) are hardening.
    yes, the cohort effect of Gen X and Millennial being pro-Remain is seemingly very strong. The research seems to bode very badly indeed for those who wish to isolate us from the world.
    People aged 60 and upwards in 2016 voted overwhelmingly in favour of Remain 41 years earlier. Peoples' views frequently change over their lifetimes,
    In 1975 I did not vote for a Europan Union I voted for a European Economic Community.

There should have been referendums since then about the change to a political union but no such referendums were held.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1037279731450826752?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1037279731450826752

Crown Prosecution Service says they have enough evidence to charge these two gentlemen.

Does his best Jezza impression....I think we need to see more evidence before we can say it was Russia.
    You can rely on Jezza to take up cudgels on behalf of the 0.01% likelihood outcome....
    If Jezza had been at Pearl Harbor I wonder if he would have said " I think we need to see more evidence before we can say it was the Japanese"
    No. It would be: "The presence of American carriers in the Pacific is part of an obvious expansionist philosophy. I abhor all violence, and call on the Americans to peacefully hand their Pacific territories to Japan. I also call on the Americans to dismantle their illegal chemical weapons plant at Unit 731, which is a threat to the peace-loving countries of Japan and China."
  • Options
    May is a Remainer what do you expect?
  • Options

To be honest she is struggling today but maybe her mind is on her statement over the nerve agent.

Indeed that is going to be the media's story for the rest of the day and beyond

Fantastic pride on our police and security services and it says a lot about how fortunate we are to be protected by them
  • Options

Silence on the Tory benches when Corbyn said Chequers is dead, while May furiously shook her head.

She may need to cling to it for tactical reasons but it's making her look detached from reality.

Doubt it matters, the UK has very few pro-reality voters.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Shocking ramping. [Mods: this is a joke]
  • Options
    Welcome back to pb, unskewing
  • Options

To be honest she is struggling today but maybe her mind is on her statement over the nerve agent.

Fantastic pride on our police and security services and it says a lot about how fortunate we are to be protected by them
    So you're saying Mrs May can't multi-task?

That's not impressive.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Anazina said:

Others have pointed out the note of caution that needs to be struck, with the past vote recall for Remain having remorselessly crept up.
    This can, of course, be the effect that has been noted in political polling where people mentally edit their own memories to having voted for "the right" result last time (so there may be some people who voted Leave have decided it was a mistake and want to remember having voted Remain instead), but that's an assumption that would have to be spelt out specifically and may or may note be sound in any case.

One interesting finding for me was on the age breakdown. When you have a significant difference age-wise in opinion, it can be one of two things:
    1 - An opinion that tends to change as we age. A good example of this is Conservative support; it's been frequently discussed that if this didn't happen, the Conservatives would have crashed in support by now. Many of the 18-24-year-olds in 1974 who were very anti-Conservative in recorded polls are now the 60+ cohort that forms their bedrock.
    2 - A cohort effect that doesn't change as we age and produces a change in overall outlook as the young age and become a larger and larger segment of society and the older generation with different opinions die off. Gay rights seems to be an example in this area; those who supported gay rights overall in youth seem to have maintained their stance into middle age.

There have been indications that Brexit opinion appears to be a cohort effect rather than an age-change effect, and Curtice's findings indicate that this is not only the case, but cohort strengths (age-wise) are hardening.
    yes, the cohort effect of Gen X and Millennial being pro-Remain is seemingly very strong. The research seems to bode very badly indeed for those who wish to isolate us from the world.
    Not as strong for the EU as you may like.

The new Survation for example has a majority of 18 to 24 year olds wanting to reclaim powers from the ECJ
  • Options
    This is going to be a long PMQs. Only one Tory out of 15 on the Order Paper, so we're only just on Q3, with a Tory to come in between all of Q4-14.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited September 2018

So you're saying Mrs May can't multi-task?

That's not impressive.
    I am sure she can but we all have difficult days and today is such a day

She does seem distracted
  • Options

I'm unsure that England makes up many of the stereotypes of Scotland that you see on display throughout your lovely country.

Unless it was during a particularly extreme period of self loathing, I don't think it was the Jocks, Paddys or Taffs who created the main stereotypes of themselves as respectively mean, stupid and thieves.
    That is not what I meant, as well you know. Still, it's interesting that the negative stereotypes are the ones that you automatically jump on.

I prefer the Scotland of a red-headed piper standing in a Glen, whilst locals dance in a ceilidh. Meanwhile, in the local town, some wise people are sitting down to work out how Scotland's next success in science and engineering as someone at the bar quotes Burns.

But if you only want to see the negatives ...

(I could have added Nessie in there, or kilts.)
    An authentic Brigadoonist, as I live and breath.
    So anyone saying how great your country is (and I do, frequently - I even praised Glasgow recently after a couple of walks through it) is a 'Brigadoonist', and the only stereotypes that matter are negative ones.

You appear to have issues. And the 'English' isn't one of them ...

And before you decry 'brigadoonist'; you might want to consider how much money the works and mythologies of the likes of Walter Scott or R.L. Stevenson have brought to Scotland.
    I've read a lot of RLS and he had fuckall to do with Brigadoonism. However I'm a BIG fan of Anglosplainers teaching us about Scotland. Keep up the good work.
    Great sentence. You managed a rare feat of being able to sound chippy, superior and vaguely nationalist/racist all at the same time. Well done, Corbyn could learn a thing or two from you!
    It's three sentences.
  • Options

I'm unsure that England makes up many of the stereotypes of Scotland that you see on display throughout your lovely country.

Unless it was during a particularly extreme period of self loathing, I don't think it was the Jocks, Paddys or Taffs who created the main stereotypes of themselves as respectively mean, stupid and thieves.
    That is not what I meant, as well you know. Still, it's interesting that the negative stereotypes are the ones that you automatically jump on.

I prefer the Scotland of a red-headed piper standing in a Glen, whilst locals dance in a ceilidh. Meanwhile, in the local town, some wise people are sitting down to work out how Scotland's next success in science and engineering as someone at the bar quotes Burns.

So anyone saying how great your country is (and I do, frequently - I even praised Glasgow recently after a couple of walks through it) is a 'Brigadoonist', and the only stereotypes that matter are negative ones.

And before you decry 'brigadoonist'; you might want to consider how much money the works and mythologies of the likes of Walter Scott or R.L. Stevenson have brought to Scotland.
    I've read a lot of RLS and he had fuckall to do with Brigadoonism. However I'm a BIG fan of Anglosplainers teaching us about Scotland. Keep up the good work.
    Another quite nasty reply. I am not trying to 'teach' anyone (least of all you).

I would like to point out I said, "the likes of," in the fact that works by those two fantastic authors are to lesser or greater degrees fantasies, like Brigadoon. And ones that have been very valuable for Scotland over the years.

Perhaps you should try be positive about your lovely country once in a while, rather than just spewing negativity.
  • Options

Hope you're OK out Edmund, Jebi looks monstrous !
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1037279731450826752?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1037279731450826752

Crown Prosecution Service says they have enough evidence to charge these two gentlemen.

Does his best Jezza impression....I think we need to see more evidence before we can say it was Russia.
    You can rely on Jezza to take up cudgels on behalf of the 0.01% likelihood outcome....
    If Jezza had been at Pearl Harbor I wonder if he would have said " I think we need to see more evidence before we can say it was the Japanese"
    A degree of reticence never shown towards the actions of Israel.....
    I recently read through Hansard for all his comments on Israel and Palestine. His appro1ch seems to be to criticise Israel in lots of detail and forensically, but if anyone raise Palestinian violence his answer is always something like he is against all violence. I really cannot see how he could speak in support of Israel, or put himself in their position when being attacked. That is why I would love to see some evidence of it - it seems so unlikely to me, but he states that he sits down with all sides to try and bring about peace.
  • Options

Great sentence. You managed a rare feat of being able to sound chippy, superior and vaguely nationalist/racist all at the same time. Well done, Corbyn could learn a thing or two from you!
    It's three sentences.
    Well without wishing to "Anglosplain" you, I was rather obviously referring to the middle one
  • Options
    Thread on the consequences of killing Chequers:

https://twitter.com/HenryNewman/status/1037292792572243968
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hope you're OK out Edmund, Jebi looks monstrous !
    We were out of the worst of it up here but I thought I was going to get blown off the platform waiting for my train, which was nearly 6 minutes late.
  • Options
    May's performance at PMQ's today is irrelevant because all the attention will be on her Nobichov bombers statement.
  • Options
    Sky got bored with PMQ's and have moved to the nerve agent story
  • Options

No. It would be: "The presence of American carriers in the Pacific is part of an obvious expansionist philosophy. I abhor all violence, and call on the Americans to peacefully hand their Pacific territories to Japan. I also call on the Americans to dismantle their illegal chemical weapons plant at Unit 731, which is a threat to the peace-loving countries of Japan and China."
    lol
  • Options
    More brexit gloating from Convert Carlotta
  • Options

May's performance at PMQ's today is irrelevant because all the attention will be on her Nobichov bombers statement.

PMQs performance is always irrelevant outside the anorak community
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

I doubt, if Corbyn had been PM, at the time of these attacks, that we would have had the political will or resources to do such an investigation, make its results public, charge two individuals, take sanctions against Russia and seek the co-operation of our allies in doing so.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited September 2018

More commenting on other posters.....

You don't think its important that polls are properly understood?
  • Options
  • Options

Another quite nasty reply. I am not trying to 'teach' anyone (least of all you).

I would like to point out I said, "the likes of," in the fact that works by those two fantastic authors are to lesser or greater degrees fantasies, like Brigadoon. And ones that have been very valuable for Scotland over the years.

Perhaps you should try be positive about your lovely country once in a while, rather than just spewing negativity.
    Handy hint: red headed piper standing in a glen = Brigadoonism.
    Also a honking cliche that RLS would have puked up his lungs rather than employ.

To reciprocate your generosity with advice, perhaps you should haud back on the sermonsing on what people should do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

The new Survation for example has a majority of 18 to 24 year olds wanting to reclaim powers from the ECJ
    You are clutching at straws. They are the generation that are the least nationalistic perhaps in history. Strong likelihood we will go back in, the full-on-integration version and it will be the fault of people like you
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I doubt, if Corbyn had been PM, at the time of these attacks, that we would have had the political will or resources to do such an investigation, make its results public, charge two individuals, take sanctions against Russia and seek the co-operation of our allies in doing so.
    If he's still Labour leader at the GE the Russian troll farms will be something to behold....
  • Options

Also a honking cliche that RLS would have puked up his lungs rather than employ.

To reciprocate your generosity with advice, perhaps you should haud back on the sermonsing on what people should do.
    I think when you spew anti-English nationalistic codswallop on a public forum people have a right to call you out for what you are, sermonising or otherwise, so please stop "Scotsplaining" us all
  • Options
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

You are clutching at straws. They are the generation that are the least nationalistic perhaps in history. Strong likelihood we will go back in, the full-on-integration version and it will be the fault of people like you
    No not clutching at straws at all.

The young may have voted for a halfway house EU membership, Survation today confirms they would not vote for full Federal EU Superstate EU membership
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758

More commenting on other posters.....

You don't think its important that polls are properly understood?
    Forgive my ignorance, but why didn't NatCen and Curtice simply weight their results to reflect a 52/48% EU-ref vote, before they published?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

If he's still Labour leader at the GE the Russian troll farms will be something to behold....
    Would those be the very same Russian troll farms that did not in any way influence the brexit vote, oh yes because Putin loves the EU doesn't he?
  • Options

No need for the hint, as I'm afraid the point has gone sailing merrily over your head. Since you are an intelligent chap, that's obviously deliberate.

I love Scotland, and have said so on many occasions on here, and it is a shame that I cannot visit it anywhere near as often as I would like. As someone who loves Scotland, can you please inform me what I can say about Scotland that won't lead you to throw insults in my direction?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

If so, he should be thanked! It will be a better, brighter future for my children in the long run.
  • Options

No need for the hint, as I'm afraid the point has gone sailing merrily over your head. Since you are an intelligent chap, that's obviously deliberate.

I love Scotland, and have said so on many occasions on here, and it is a shame that I cannot visit it anywhere near as often as I would like. As someone who loves Scotland, can you please inform me what I can say about Scotland that won't lead you to throw insults in my direction?
    "It's a beautiful country, with spectacular scenery and friendly people, and I very much enjoy my visits there."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770

Will existing European Arrest Warrants hold good post-Brexit if no deal is done? That's not a rhetorical question - I don't know.
    I understand there are big issues with the European Arrest Warrant even if a deal is agreed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

One interesting finding for me was on the age breakdown. When you have a significant arger and larger segment of society and the older generation with different opinions die off. Gay rights seems to be an example in this area; those who supported gay rights overall in youth seem to have maintained their stance into middle age.

The young may have voted for a halfway house EU membership, Survation today confirms they would not vote for full Federal EU Superstate EU membership
    By 41% to 29% 18 to 24 year olds think it is unacceptable for the ECJ to have supremacy over UK law

https://www.survation.com/labour-gains-four-point-lead-over-the-conservatives-as-ukip-overtakes-the-liberal-democrats/
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Maybe he was there but not involved?
  • Options

PMQs performance matters to MPs. That is why IDS was defenestrated. The Tories actually did quite well at the ballot box under IDS but all the parliamentary party saw was their man getting tonked every Wednesday.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

One interesting finding for me was on the age breakdown. When you have a significant arger and larger segment of society and the older generation with different opinions die off. Gay rights seems to be an example in this area; those who supported gay rights overall in youth seem to have maintained their stance into middle age.

By 41% to 29% 18 to 24 year olds think it is unacceptable for the ECJ to have supremacy over UK law

https://www.survation.com/labour-gains-four-point-lead-over-the-conservatives-as-ukip-overtakes-the-liberal-democrats/
    You are clutching straws. Did anyone ask same group if they understood the function of the ECJ? Do you? In my experience most people (even well educated people) get it mixed up with the ECHR and think the latter is part of the EU. I would think that the percentage of people of any agethat understand what the ECJ is will amount to less than 10% at best
  • Options

PMQs performance matters to MPs. That is why IDS was defenestrated. The Tories actually did quite well at the ballot box under IDS but all the parliamentary party saw was their man getting tonked every Wednesday.
    If PMQs was pivotal to general elections Hague would have won the 2001 general election by a landslide
  • Options
    Listen to TM statement on nerve agent in the HOC and ask the question

Who would you want to be our PM - May or Corbyn
  • Options
    Huge claim by TM

Officers from the Russian GRU were responsible
  • Options

Insults? Lol.

Feel free not to engage with me if you feel that you've been so dreadfully insulted.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

"It's a beautiful country, with spectacular scenery and friendly people, and I very much enjoy my visits there."
    All true. But it seems I cannot mention redheads, kilts, ceilidhs, glens, or other positive items as they might just be 'Brigadoonism'. In fact, 'spectacular scenery' and 'beautiful country' might fall into that trap.

I dread to think how TUD would react if I said: "Actually, there are parts of Edinburgh that are a bit of a dump". I daresay it'd be prime evidence that I'm a Scot-hater.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2018
    MJW said:

On topic: I can't help but feel we're in a bit of a vicious cycle. We, and moderate politicians allowed anti-politis to take root. Us by dressing up what should've been fairly civilised disagreements as great wars, politicians by failing to make their case to people and not realising how certain things look outside the real world. The result? People have turned to populists who may be right about the flaws of their opponents, but are utter frauds on a far bigger scale than those they condemn - and who actively promote the anti-politics ideas that brought them succes. That then means trust is eroded further as the populists blame their failures on the establishment or the system.

SNIP

We're on a dark path.

I agree with some of this.

Unfortunately, “moderate politicians" failed to take action on subjects like inter-generational fairness or tax avoidance by multinationals or housing or immigration or social care.

They didn’t take action because there would be some pain for some voters or special interest groups. There would be some wailing.

To take housing or social care in the UK, these problems have been worsening for 10 or 20 years. This is a collective failure of generations of “moderate politicians” from both the Tory, LibDem & the Labour Parties. They haven’t fixed the problems -- though in these two cases, it is clear what to do. E.g., social care needs more money, but any attempt to find the money causes wailing (“Death Tax”, Dementia Tax”) and so “moderate politicians” back off and do nothing.

Similarly, on immigration & asylum, it is clear that the present system is broken and it needs urgent overhaul to make it work better. This is a particularly difficult problem to solve (cries of “Xenophobe” and “Racist” ring out) and so “moderate politicians” simply back off.

If moderate politicians don’t offer solutions, & allow problems to fester and get worse, then --- surprise, surprise -- a segment of the electorate will turn to the Far Right or the Far Left that does offer “simple" solutions.

This is happening in the UK. Of course, many of the problems are common to the whole of Western Europe, and it is happening elsewhere in Europe.

Even Germany (one of the better run countries in Europe) provides an example. The endless, compromising, centrist alliances of the Christian Democrats and Social Democrats have failed to solve problems -- and so voters have turned to alternatives on the Right and the Left.

“Moderate politicians” should ask themselves: Do you want to fix the problem, even if there is some electoral pain and wailing ? Or, do you want to let the Far Left or Far Right fix the problem?
  • Options

Huge claim by TM

Probably based on GCHQ intercepts (and hardly a surprise, in any case).
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

If PMQs was pivotal to general elections Hague would have won the 2001 general election by a landslide
    Matters to MPs

Try reading and thinking. 45000 posts all on broadcast.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Others have pointed out the note of ed it was a mistake and want to remember having voted Remain instead), but that's an assumption that would have to be spelt out specifically and may or may note be sound in any case.

One interesting finding for me was on the age breakdown. When middle age.

By 41% to 29% 18 to 24 year olds think it is unaccmocrats/
    You are clutching straws. Did anyone ask same group if they understood the function of the ECJ? Do you? In my experience most people (even well educated people) get it mixed up with the ECHR and think the latter is part of the EU. I would think that the percentage of people of any agethat understand what the ECJ is will amount to less than 10% at best
    Nope I am not clutching at straws. That figure is devastating for pro EU Superstate ideologues like yourself and William Glenn who assumed once the Brexit voting pensioners died off we would be full steam ahead to reverse Brexit and a Federal EU.

The young clearly value our sovereign and independence too and good for them! The very nature of the question meant it was clear the ECJ currently has supremacy over UK law as it does
  • Options
    Wow. Theresa is not holding back here. Really socking it to the Russians.
  • Options

I'd file MPs under anoraks too
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Huge claim by TM

Didnt Mad Vlad invite us to name names and he'd investigate ?
  • Options
    I'm so glad we've got Trident as a deterrent.

I mean no country would dare use chemical agents on the streets of the UK because we've got Trident.
  • Options

Insults? Lol.

Feel free not to engage with me if you feel that you've been so dreadfully insulted.
    Nah. You're far too funny not to engage with.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Anorak said:

Wow. Theresa is not holding back here. Really socking it to the Russians.

The Corbyn response should be fun.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited September 2018

Huge claim by TM

It was clear from the outset there was intelligence that said this went right to the top. Remember Boris made this claim in his usual off the cuff style and May didn't shoot him down at all and then other major countries all chipped in.
  • Options
    Socked it to Corbyn there
  • Options

Huge claim by TM

He already has. "The Russian foreign ministry has said the two names released by the Met and the CPS do not mean anything to them."
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Now if only NATO hadn't been created to deliberately cause this tension between the West and Russia....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,933
    Astonishing statement from the PM.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Huge claim by TM

GRU? Despicable......
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited September 2018
    Corbyn just lost it. What cooperation are we seeking from Russia
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Imagine if this had happened while he was PM....the man is a danger to national security.
  • Options

Huge claim by TM

He already has. "The Russian foreign ministry has said the two names released by the Met and the CPS do not mean anything to them."
    maybe that means they have been disappeared already, I mean when your boss is an ex KGB man the last thing you want is spies who get caught
  • Options
    Haha Mr HYUFD, you really are deluded. For the record I am not in favour of EU Superstate and never have been. There will not be one, and it continues to be a minority interest in Europe. If you actually knew something about European politics you would know that, but it is not your fault as you get your information from the Daily Express.

I happened to believe we had a very good deal with the EU as it was and it is blind nationalistic insanity that has taken us down the current path. My point is that it will likely be reversed and when it is we won't be able to go back to the relatively benign UK-centric relationship we have now because we will no longer have influence.
  • Options

Imagine if this had happened while he was PM....
    No
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited September 2018

Huge claim by TM

GRU? Despicable......
    That's where my mind went to as well.

This is one of my alerts on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywZ9z5FyZI
  • Options
    You think Corbyn can't get any worse and then he stands up and opens his mouth... How anyone who like me has ever voted Labour could even think of him being PM is a total mystery to me - the man is a menace to people who need a Labour government.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Huge claim by TM

maybe that means they have been disappeared already, I mean when your boss is an ex KGB man the last thing you want is spies who get caught
    Nah, they will be given a nice cushy gig. Didn't the bloke who knocked of Litvinenko get all sorts of lovely jobs afterwards.
  • Options
    Guy Verhofstadt says no place in the EU for Poland and Hungary who take EU money but do not share EU values

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1037260534037532672
  • Options
    "Organisation for the prevention of chemical weapons"

It's prohibition Jeremy, not prevention.

He can't even get that right when reading from a script ...
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

You think Corbyn can't get any worse and then he stands up and opens his mouth... How anyone who like me has ever voted Labour could even think of him being PM is a total mystery to me - the man is a menace to people who need a Labour government.

He is a national disgrace
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Huge claim by TM

GRU? Despicable......
    That's where my mind went to as well.

This is one of my alerts on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywZ9z5FyZI
    Russia has never heard of these "minions" of GRU.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

G , they may be good after the fact but pretty pointless if you are already dead and the bad guys are back home laughing at them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Guy Verhofstadt says no place in the EU for Poland and Hungary who take EU money but do not share EU values

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1037260534037532672

maybe they can join us in HuPoBrexit

• Options

Huge claim by TM

Nah, they will be given a nice cushy gig. Didn't the bloke who knocked of Litvinenko get all sorts of lovely jobs afterwards.
    Elected to the Duma....
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Haha Mr HYUFD, you really are deluded. For the record I am not in favour of EU Superstate and never have been. There will not be one, and it continues to be a minority interest in Europe. If you actually knew something about European politics you would know that, but it is not your fault as you get your information from the Daily Express.

I happened to believe we had a very good deal with the EU as it was and it is blind nationalistic insanity that has taken us down the current path. My point is that it will likely be reversed and when it is we won't be able to go back to the relatively benign UK-centric relationship we have now because we will no longer have influence.

Then we will not rejoin or swiftly exit again, when the most every generation from school leaver to pensioner wants with the EU is a trading relationship not to be part of an EU Superstate or losing most of our sovereignty to the EU then the dreams of the EU ideologues in the UK will come to nothing
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

G , they may be good after the fact but pretty pointless if you are already dead and the bad guys are back home laughing at them.
    If you could act in hindsight no crime would happen Malc
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Remember as well, given his position as LOTO / privy council, Jezza can get briefed on the intelligence we aren't allowed to hear.

But then he won't even meet with the head of MI5 to hear about the current threat of terrorism.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,025

Huge claim by TM

Lugavoi had all sorts of lovely jobs before it too - he was connected from on high from his time in the FSB personal protection unit.

The Salisbury Two are disposable cannon fodder and are probably dead.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited September 2018
    kingbongo said:

I am not watching the exchange (saw PMQs, where he won right up until her last words eviscerating him on anti-semitism where she reclaimed a score draw).

But I want to hear from @TheJezziah on this. How do his fanboys think he is doing?
  • Options
    Boris refers to the 'weasely language of the leader of the opposition'
This discussion has been closed.