Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irrespective of whether there’s an impeachment move it’s going

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited August 2018
    That Corbyn quote is pretty grim. Not that it will make the backbone-free moderates do anything about it.

I do wonder how Labour’s Jewish MPs put up with this.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

BBC News says "GCSE results rise despite tougher exams".

Oxymoron or just moron?

It's a nonsensical sentence anyway. I think they mean 'average grades rise despite tougher exams.'

In case anyone is wondering that doesn't seem to have been true for History or at any rate not with the board I work with. The marks are shockingly low across the country. Something to do with a failed civil servant now head of OFSTED having comprehensively buggered up the markscheme.
    Physics at my school has gone very well: more 9s than any other department and positive value added for the first time in ages. I normally find that the students I taught got what they deserved, but this year several of them have done much better than that. Loosing the coursework element has been a godsend.
    *coughs softly*

'losing'
    Bugger! I thought I checked that one..
    You've given pleaure to a pedant, there is no greater service that can be done on PB.

It's one of my pet hates, probably down to the years I worked for racing tipsters and the continual stream of e-mails received from punters asking why our 'stupid ****ing tipsters keep giving out stupid ****ing loosing tips'.
    I had a report on a pupil returned by his form tutor who wanted to know why he was “contentious”. I had ment to write “conscientious” but the auto-correct decided differently.
    For a Year 9 'contentious' might have made more sense...
    This particular student was the Head Boy...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    kjh said:

I really hope Plato got/gets the help she needs. She was getting seriously deranged by the end of her posting career here.

It was like someone else had hijacked her account and started posting in her absence. The change was very noticeable.
    Russian bots....

The thing is people off PB met her in real life (prior trump conversion) and I don’t think people thought she particular odd or anything.
    I followed her on twitter after she got banned here and then on GAB once she got banned on twitter. A few months ago she just stopped posting, going from many a day to nothing, which is worrying. I found the links to other twitter and GAB accounts of others of a like mind very interesting. The posts did seem to have the feel of a cult follower.
    This is Plato on Gab I think:

https://gab.ai/PlatoSays
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

F1: Force India will be racing at Spa.

My speculative two quid on under 15.5 finishers got a little more difficult.

But more seriously, great news for the team.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    edited August 2018
    A new referendum on a final Brexit deal should be "on the table", shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer has said.

Sir Keir told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that although Labour is not calling for a second public vote, if MPs reject the deal the PM puts forward, "all options" should be open.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45281677

Clear as mud, enabling leavers and remainers to think Labour might back them. Keir is a canny one.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6087783/Jeremy-Corbyn-said-British-Zionists-no-sense-English-irony.html

Corbyn: '[Zionists] clearly have two problems. One is they don't want to study history, and secondly, having lived in this country for a very long time, probably all their lives, they don't understand English irony either.'

you missed the best bit!

'They needed two lessons, which we could perhaps help them with.'
    That is shocking even by Corbyn's standards.
    Pah all water off a duck's back.

It is absolutely bizarre - what other senior politician, let alone leader of a mainstream Party has taken such a sustained and profound interest in the situation of another country?
    Just one other country.

I wonder if he has any interest at all in:

Indian policy in Kashmir
    Moroccan policy in Western Sahara
    Burmese policy in Rakhine
    Chinese policy in Tibet and Xinjiang
    Russian policy in Crimea
    Armenian policy in Nagorno Karabakh

So why this tunnel vision regarding Israel?
    Indeed Sunil but I fear people are becoming inured to it.
    Part of the problem is that the source of the news tends to be the DM, Guido etc. so LP supporters will discount it. The rest of the media (BBC, CH4, Guardian) have totally failed in their duty to subject Corbyn's beliefs and actions to proper scrutiny. The double standards are truly disgraceful. If you can begin to imagine a Tory politician doing the equivalent they would have been destroyed within a week.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    MJW said:

I don't think we can be in any doubt now that Jeremy Corbyn is racist. It's the kind of kind of comment retired colonels used to say about minorities at port fuelled Conservative luncheons. Not that his apologists will care. Shame on them.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-zionists-have-no-sense-of-english-irony-1.468795

Port-fuelled luncheons? Claret possibly, but port. At lunch!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

It's a nonsensical sentence anyway. I think they mean 'average grades rise despite tougher exams.'
    Congrats. I’m sure that it’s down in at least some measure to your efforts.
    My Sociology teacher granddaughter-in-law (elect) was very pleased with the A level results her students achieved.
    I recall being devastated when a student of mine did incredibly (to me) badly.
    B@*@%y hell. I did Physics A level. No way would have got anywhere near it if I’d had to do Maths, let alone double maths.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Maths, Chemistry and Physics were the options at my (50’s) Grammar School!

@ subject now!
    Doing Physics without maths is a bit like studying French poetry without being able to read French: you could just read the translations, but you would lose a huge amount. It is also easier to teach things like simple harmonic motion if you can start with the second order differential equation...
    Any decent Physics or Engineering course will need maths as well as (or even instead of) Physics.
    In the 50’s Schools of both Pharmacy and Medicine required Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It was, though, possible to get away without Physics in some. We had some Maths courses, butb they were primarily Statistics and not treated by most of us very seriously, since they wouldn’t be examined.
    I’ve had quite a lot of medical treatment over the last decade and I’d like to think that pharmacists and anaesthetists have a decent grasp of the mathematical basics.
    So would I Mr T, so would I! Most of us are fine with basic maths but as an on-call pharmacist I was once rung up at 2am by an an anaesthetist arguing about the strength of a pre-prepared syringe with he’d been supplied. I managed to convince him we were right; he appeared to have some problem over decimals.
    In passing, the introduction of the decimal system into British medicine was not without its disadvantages. The Apothecaries system, once one understood it properly, was much less likely to cause errors of tens of magnitude.
    One of the most common types of error in calculations is getting the powers of ten wrong. This is closely linked to not using the correct (or indeed any) units.

I managed to be 10^68 out on a calculation at university once.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

In case anyone is wondering that doesn't seem to have been true for History or at any rate not with the board I work with. The marks are shockingly low across the country. Something to do with a failed civil servant now head of OFSTED having comprehensively buggered up the markscheme.
    Physics at my school has gone very well: more 9s than any other department and positive value added for the first time in ages. I normally find that the students I taught got what they deserved, but this year several of them have done much better than that. Loosing the coursework element has been a godsend.
    *coughs softly*

'losing'
    You've given pleaure to a pedant, there is no greater service that can be done on PB.

It's one of my pet hates, probably down to the years I worked for racing tipsters and the continual stream of e-mails received from punters asking why our 'stupid ****ing tipsters keep giving out stupid ****ing loosing tips'.
    I had a report on a pupil returned by his form tutor who wanted to know why he was “contentious”. I had ment to write “conscientious” but the auto-correct decided differently.
    I can think of Head Girls I would definitely have called 'contentious.' One I would have gone so far as to call 'stroppy.'
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6087783/Jeremy-Corbyn-said-British-Zionists-no-sense-English-irony.html

Corbyn: '[Zionists] clearly have two problems. One is they don't want to study history, and secondly, having lived in this country for a very long time, probably all their lives, they don't understand English irony either.'

you missed the best bit!

'They needed two lessons, which we could perhaps help them with.'
    That is shocking even by Corbyn's standards.
    Pah all water off a duck's back.

It is absolutely bizarre - what other senior politician, let alone leader of a mainstream Party has taken such a sustained and profound interest in the situation of another country?
    Just one other country.

I wonder if he has any interest at all in:

Indian policy in Kashmir
    Moroccan policy in Western Sahara
    Burmese policy in Rakhine
    Chinese policy in Tibet and Xinjiang
    Russian policy in Crimea
    Armenian policy in Nagorno Karabakh

So why this tunnel vision regarding Israel?
    Indeed Sunil but I fear people are becoming inured to it.
    Part of the problem is that the source of the news tends to be the DM, Guido etc. so LP supporters will discount it. The rest of the media (BBC, CH4, Guardian) have totally failed in their duty to subject Corbyn's beliefs and actions to proper scrutiny. The double standards are truly disgraceful. If you can begin to imagine a Tory politician doing the equivalent they would have been destroyed within a week.
    Like if you steal an offensive gag out of the guardian about burkas and letterboxes.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'

I can think of Head Girls I would definitely have called 'contentious.' One I would have gone so far as to call 'stroppy.'
    How rude are you allowed to be in your reports?
  • Options
    Now this is what you call a subtweet.

Also shows why Hunt is nailed on to be the next PM/Tory leader

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1032674664336777217
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

My Sociology teacher granddaughter-in-law (elect) was very pleased with the A level results her students achieved.
    @ subject now!
    Doing Physics without maths is a bit like studying French poetry without being able to read French: you could just read the translations, but you would lose a huge amount. It is also easier to teach things like simple harmonic motion if you can start with the second order differential equation...
    Any decent Physics or Engineering course will need maths as well as (or even instead of) Physics.
    In the 50’s Schools of both Pharmacy and Medicine required Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It was, though, possible to get away without Physics in some. We had some Maths courses, butb they were primarily Statistics and not treated by most of us very seriously, since they wouldn’t be examined.
    I’ve had quite a lot of medical treatment over the last decade and I’d like to think that pharmacists and anaesthetists have a decent grasp of the mathematical basics.
    So would I Mr T, so would I! Most of us are fine with basic maths but as an on-call pharmacist I was once rung up at 2am by an an anaesthetist arguing about the strength of a pre-prepared syringe with he’d been supplied. I managed to convince him we were right; he appeared to have some problem over decimals.
    In passing, the introduction of the decimal system into British medicine was not without its disadvantages. The Apothecaries system, once one understood it properly, was much less likely to cause errors of tens of magnitude.
    One of the most common types of error in calculations is getting the powers of ten wrong. This is closely linked to not using the correct (or indeed any) units.

Not good when calculating doses, particularly in children. Too often common sense and mathematics are unrelated concepts
  • Options
    David Pecker, the chief executive of the company that publishes the National Enquirer, was granted immunity by federal prosecutors for providing information about Michael Cohen and Donald Trump in the criminal investigation into hush-money payments for two women during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to people familiar with the matter.

In exchange for immunity, Mr. Pecker, CEO of American Media, Inc., has met with prosecutors and shared details about payments Mr. Cohen arranged in an effort to silence two women who alleged sexual encounters with Mr. Trump, including Mr. Trump’s knowledge of the deals, some of the people said. Prosecutors have indicated that Mr. Pecker won’t be criminally charged for his participation in the deals, the people said.

Mr. Pecker has previously said he is a longtime friend of Messrs. Trump and Cohen.

Prosecutors have indicated Dylan Howard, chief content officer of American Media, also won’t be criminally charged in the Cohen investigation, according to a person familiar with the matter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pecker-granted-immunity-in-cohen-case-1535041976?mod=e2fb
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    RoyalBlue said:

That Corbyn quote is pretty grim. Not that it will make the backbone-free moderates do anything about it.

Or even PB posters who believe the movement is bigger than having a racist in charge of their party who encourages racist behaviour amongst the members.

As though membership of a political party is as profoundly a part of your essential being as your left arm.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Sandpit, likewise, though the bet could still come off.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'

I did a once say that one of my tutor group was very able but had in the four years I taught him shown he was incredibly lazy. As a result he would fail his A-levels and there was nothing I could do to stop him.

I think that's the strongest I've ever written.
  • Options

Is it not possible that work Boris did prepared the way for Hunt? I don't know if work he did helped in anyway, but sometimes things rely upon a lot of work beforehand after all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is it not possible that work Boris did prepared the way for Hunt? I don't know if work he did helped in anyway, but sometimes things rely upon a lot of work beforehand after all.
    Major got bugger all credit for all the work towards peace in NI.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RoyalBlue said:

As though membership of a political party is as profoundly a part of your essential being as your left arm.
    For some people it is. Personally I think given the inevitability of political parties to change direction, perhaps significantly, and change vastly under new leaderships, a more mercenary attitude to party politics is a better approach even if one is firmly committed to a left/right position at least. But each to their own.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'

I did a once say that one of my tutor group was very able but had in the four years I taught him shown he was incredibly lazy. As a result he would fail his A-levels and there was nothing I could do to stop him.

My Eldest Grandson, a primary school teacher is encouraged to avoid saying anything negative in his reports. As he once turned up to school with a strapped up leg, where he’d injured it, and a child kicked him on it, that does on occasion prove difficult.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Trump's base remains solidly behind him.and as long as they do he will be nominated again in 2020 if he runs
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

You lost me at "work Boris did".
  • Options
    edited August 2018

The same Hunt who polls as badly with the public as with Tory members?

She remains jailed, 3 day release standard practice
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

@ subject now!

Not good when calculating doses, particularly in children. Too often common sense and mathematics are unrelated concepts
    When I was doing A-levels back in the 80’s we had to be able to estimate sensible values.
    I sometimes get students to work out the answer without a calculator to one (or even zero) significant figures first. I like to think it helps.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, likewise, though the bet could still come off.

It’s Spa, something always happens. My favourite race of the year.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A refrain I have heard before, and what was in my mind. Sure, it'll be left to historians to determine who deserves credit in a lot of situations, but assuming an immediate impact was had may not be the case. It reminds me of when a minister quits because of some personal scandal, and people talk of their opponent 'seeing them off' - sure, they outlasted them, but if it was about personal issues it was hardly down to the opponent that that happened.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Work Boris did?

The same Boris when he should have been at COBRA meeting dealing with the murder of a British citizen by Russia was busy being photographed writing his resignation letter.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'

My Eldest Grandson, a primary school teacher is encouraged to avoid saying anything negative in his reports. As he once turned up to school with a strapped up leg, where he’d injured it, and a child kicked him on it, that does on occasion prove difficult.
    And with that my wife and I are off to the local gastro-pub for a pleasant couple of hours.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

RoyalBlue said:

For some people it is. Personally I think given the inevitability of political parties to change direction, perhaps significantly, and change vastly under new leaderships, a more mercenary attitude to party politics is a better approach even if one is firmly committed to a left/right position at least. But each to their own.
    My membership card might easily have gone on the bonfire if they'd let Banks et al in.

Of course anyone who is eligible to join can join and me resigning would feel like giving up but if there is no party to represent me then so be it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

You lost me at "work Boris did".
    I suggested it was a possibility, not that he definitely did do any work, or that it was effective!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Polls changed, things like this will see Hunt's ratings improve.

There's a reason why Hunt's odds have moved from 100/1 to 12/1 in the last year.

Perhaps if you took your head out of Boris Johnson's colon you'd understand why.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    kjh said:

I really hope Plato got/gets the help she needs. She was getting seriously deranged by the end of her posting career here.

It was like someone else had hijacked her account and started posting in her absence. The change was very noticeable.
    Russian bots....

The thing is people off PB met her in real life (prior trump conversion) and I don’t think people thought she particular odd or anything.
    I followed her on twitter after she got banned here and then on GAB once she got banned on twitter. A few months ago she just stopped posting, going from many a day to nothing, which is worrying. I found the links to other twitter and GAB accounts of others of a like mind very interesting. The posts did seem to have the feel of a cult follower.
    What’s GAB?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    7.7% lower in 15 years time.........in other words 'we'll never know'......

How good were treasury forecasts for - oh I dunno - 2 years out from the referendum?
    Given that they can’t get forecasts close to right from one month to the next in recent times, how anyone believes forecasts fifteen years ahead I have no idea.
    To be fair, if the government announced that it was increasing tariffs on leaving the EU to a blended average of 25%, I think we would know that the long term effects would be negative. That doesn't mean we can tell you what next quarter's growth will be.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Work Boris did?

The same Boris when he should have been at COBRA meeting dealing with the murder of a British citizen by Russia was busy being photographed writing his resignation letter.
    It's a possibility only. And to be honest I was more thinking about work by actual diplomats behind the scenes during his tenure, which would amount to the same thing, ie that it wouldn't be down to Hunt, necessarily.
  • Options

kjh said:

Russian bots....

What’s GAB?
    Twitter for the Alt Shite Right.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'

Sounds about the same. Criticise behaviour (I would class laziness as behaviour) and point out the likely consequences.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

rcs1000 said:

Not 3.9 million EU citizens - 30 million:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1032628559423188992

I'd be very surprised if 30 million EU citizens had UK bank accounts*. If that number is not a typo (and I suspect it is a typo), then it has to include multiple bank accounts held by single people, and corporate accounts. And even then it seems insanely high.

* Of course, it's probably true today. But only because Brits are also EU citizens today...
    It's not just bank accounts, though - the figure would include insurance policies, annuities, probably fund investments, and so, all sold via passporting into the EU.

Dunno if it's right, though.
    I presume it’s a typo for 3 million
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

@ subject now!

When I was doing A-levels back in the 80’s we had to be able to estimate sensible values.
    I sometimes get students to work out the answer without a calculator to one (or even zero) significant figures first. I like to think it helps.
    Last post... I know what I posted before,...... but I think that’s a very wise policy.
  • Options
    Conservative party block Arron Banks membership. Good news
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

A refrain I have heard before, and what was in my mind. Sure, it'll be left to historians to determine who deserves credit in a lot of situations, but assuming an immediate impact was had may not be the case. It reminds me of when a minister quits because of some personal scandal, and people talk of their opponent 'seeing them off' - sure, they outlasted them, but if it was about personal issues it was hardly down to the opponent that that happened.
    I actually think Blair probably was the right person at the right time, as was Clinton. World leading ability to turn on the smiley snake oil salesman charm to keep all sides happy. Captain underpants was more evostick league when it came to that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There's a reason why Hunt's odds have moved from 100/1 to 12/1 in the last year.

Perhaps if you took your head out of Boris Johnson's colon you'd understand why.
    I support May at the moment, Hunt is now Foreign Secretary and polls show still Corbyn would trounce him
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think Mike made a good point in this thread (http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/08/22/icm-poll-tories-would-be-worse-off-if-either-bojo-or-moggsy-succeeded-tmay/) that new Leader's get boosts, and I tend to think even a poorly rated candidate, who should be well known among the selectorate, has a chance to reinvent their image and win people over.

Even so, Boris does seem to strike a chord with many of your fellows, can Hunt/Javid/Unknown stop him if he gets to the final two?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    7.7% lower in 15 years time.........in other words 'we'll never know'......

How good were treasury forecasts for - oh I dunno - 2 years out from the referendum?
    Given that they can’t get forecasts close to right from one month to the next in recent times, how anyone believes forecasts fifteen years ahead I have no idea.
    To be fair, if the government announced that it was increasing tariffs on leaving the EU to a blended average of 25%, I think we would know that the long term effects would be negative. That doesn't mean we can tell you what next quarter's growth will be.
    Absolutely, but when they make quite specific predictions a decade and a half into the future they need to at least put very large error bars on them!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'

We can be negative in reports, but have to be both positive and truthful in references. Some references are very short.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I actually think Blair probably was the right person at the right time, as was Clinton. World leading ability to turn on the smiley snake oil salesman charm to keep all sides happy. Captain underpants was more evostick league when it came to that.
    I can easily believe that you need different people at different points, that the person who ended up finishing something off could not have set the early achievements up, and vice versa.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    TOPPING said:

Of course anyone who is eligible to join can join and me resigning would feel like giving up but if there is no party to represent me then so be it.

I have already reached that point. My "political position" has moved to the point where there is no party that represents me or my views. I have a choice of fascists, commies or navel-gazers for the main parties and certifiable, swivel-eye loons for the fringe parties.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Good to see the private jets flying over my house are being put to good use:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45286983

Four men have been convicted of smuggling half a tonne of cocaine with a street value of more than £41m into the UK on a private jet.

Fifteen suitcases of the drug were found at Farnborough Airport in January on a plane returning from Colombia.
  • Options

kjh said:

Russian bots....

What’s GAB?
    Twitter for the Alt Shite Right.
    I wonder what jezzas state funded alt left equivalent will be called?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I have already reached that point. My "political position" has moved to the point where there is no party that represents me or my views. I have a choice of fascists, commies or navel-gazers for the main parties and certifiable, swivel-eye loons for the fringe parties.
    Not at all, there's always the Natural Law Party? The sense of their position is right there in the name.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think Mike made a good point in this thread (http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/08/22/icm-poll-tories-would-be-worse-off-if-either-bojo-or-moggsy-succeeded-tmay/) that new Leader's get boosts, and I tend to think even a poorly rated candidate, who should be well known among the selectorate, has a chance to reinvent their image and win people over.

Even so, Boris does seem to strike a chord with many of your fellows, can Hunt/Javid/Unknown stop him if he gets to the final two?
    Boris and his acolytes know he's got a lack of support of MPs that there's a very strong chance he won't make the final two.

That's why they are trying to change the rules.
  • Options

Am I missing something here?

I thought donations/subs were free from tax?

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1032507732820221952

The Labour Party (and the other political parties) are not for profit entities which pay corporation tax.

So the Tweet is bizarre. It's like accusing the RSPCA of not paying corporation tax.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    MJW said:

I don't think we can be in any doubt now that Jeremy Corbyn is racist. It's the kind of kind of comment retired colonels used to say about minorities at port fuelled Conservative luncheons. Not that his apologists will care. Shame on them.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-zionists-have-no-sense-of-english-irony-1.468795

In the full video he goes on a long rant about British history and concludes by thanking the group for their work "as we move rapidly towards the final denouement which will be the liberation and unity of all of the Palestinian people".

What form does he see this denouement taking?
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Boris and his acolytes know he's got a lack of support of MPs that there's a very strong chance he won't make the final two.

You're not concerned at a backlash from that faction if he doesn't make the final two?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You're not concerned at a backlash from that faction if he doesn't make the final two?
    No
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

MJW said:

In the full video he goes on a long rant about British history and concludes by thanking the group for their work "as we move rapidly towards the final denouement which will be the liberation and unity of all of the Palestinian people".

denouement is kind of like another way of saying solution, is it not?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

MJW said:

final is a very, very loaded choice of language for that context...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I’d be more concerned about the backlash from the electorate if he does.
    The election of Corbyn should be a dreadful warning to the Tories about not taking the role of the PCP to vet the candidates seriously.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The election of Corbyn should be a dreadful warning to the Tories about not taking the role of the PCP to vet the candidates seriously.
    I'd be concerned about that too, and I think the parties having systems to ensure any leadership candidate has sufficient support in the parliamentary party is a good thing (in fairness Corbyn has done better than most detractors would have thought, but he clearly would have been more effective as an opposition leader if he had not lacked so much support), I'm just curious as to whether the Tories would see some level of polling hit for doing it, and whether they could recover that before a GE.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Not at all, there's always the Natural Law Party? The sense of their position is right there in the name.
    Ho ho ho ....
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

MJW said:

In a way, though I think if people try using that as a means to attack him it is yet another attack which will backfire.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The only backlash from the electorate will come if May goes and Gove or Hunt replace her, according to Yougov and ICM
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think the MPs will very much understand their role in the contest, and the members can only choose from the two names given to them. 100,000 Arron Banks fans who want to see Jacob Rees-Mogg are going to be disappointed, which will be fine by everyone else.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

MJW said:

In a way, though I think if people try using that as a means to attack him it is yet another attack which will backfire.
    The attack needs to come in the form of a formal complaint under Labour Party rules by someone from his own faction. Then it gets traction
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.
    Wrong. There will be a huge write-in for Boris if he stands but doesn't make the final two.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think the MPs will very much understand their role in the contest, and the members can only choose from the two names given to them. 100,000 Arron Banks fans who want to see Jacob Rees-Mogg are going to be disappointed, which will be fine by everyone else.
    The MPs who picked IDS, Davis and Leadsom for the final 2 in the last 3 contested Tory leadership elections? Given no certainty on who replaces her May could stay for years especially with a Deal next year
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.
    Wrong. There will be a huge write-in for Boris if he stands but doesn't make the final two.

No there won't. That is not how any UK forms of voting has ever worked.

We chose between the candidates listed or spoil the ballot paper.

A write-in campaign, if it got any traction, would just lead to some ballot spoiling. It would not propel Boris (or any other written-in name) to the leadership.

If the voting is electronic - as is not impossible - there is no scope for writing-in at all!
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.

The backlash I was thinking of was more 'Will they stop voting Tory (or at least stop telling pollsters they will vote Tory)?'
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.

No there won't. That is not how any UK forms of voting has ever worked.

We chose between the candidates listed or spoil the ballot paper.

A write-in campaign, if it got any traction, would just lead to some ballot spoiling. It would not propel Boris (or any other written-in name) to the leadership.

If the voting is electronic - as is not impossible - there is no scope for writing-in at all!
    Good to see the party has banned Banks and hopefully more attempts from the alt right to join.

To be fair to JRM he has condemned Banks move to get mass Ukippers joining saying he only wants members who will work for the party and the consitituents.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.

The backlash I was thinking of was more 'Will they stop voting Tory (or at least stop telling pollsters they will vote Tory)?'
    7% of voters already back UKIP but May has won over some centrist Labour and LD 2017 voters
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The only backlash from the electorate will come if May goes and Gove or Hunt replace her, according to Yougov and ICM
    Then keep May.

The only thing worse than a Boris premiership is if Jeremy (or one of his close friends) gets it instead. But I don’t want to have to vote for someone I know is not up to the job just because the alternative is worse. A sensible Labour leader (Yvette or Hilary for instance) would get me voting Labour for the first time in my life if the alternative were Boris.

This is not about Brexit for me: this is about the ability to actually do the job. Boris has proved that he can’t in his stint at the the FO.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Then keep May.

The only thing worse than a Boris premiership is if Jeremy (or one of his close friends) gets it instead. But I don’t want to have to vote for someone I know is not up to the job just because the alternative is worse. A sensible Labour leader (Yvette or Hilary for instance) would get me voting Labour for the first time in my life if the alternative were Boris.

This is not about Brexit for me: this is about the ability to actually do the job. Boris has proved that he can’t in his stint at the the FO.
    I am fine with May for now
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    rcs1000 said:

The Labour Party (and the other political parties) are not for profit entities which pay corporation tax.

So the Tweet is bizarre. It's like accusing the RSPCA of not paying corporation tax.
    Hardly bizarre for a right wing tabloid to make basic errors in their rush to accuse the Labour party of hypocrisy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

TOPPING said:

Well, this autumn conference season should give a clear picture of the direction of travel of the major parties.

I hope that the LD conference discusses policies other than Brexit rejectionism, and that the other parties have a serious discussion of the #peoplesvote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.

7% of voters already back UKIP but May has won over some centrist Labour and LD 2017 voters
    Think it is 6% in the latest you gov if we are being accurate
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

Hardly bizarre for a right wing tabloid to make basic errors in their rush to accuse the Labour party of hypocrisy.
    But their last manifesto said that charities would have to pay corporation tax.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Well, this autumn conference season should give a clear picture of the direction of travel of the major parties.

I hope that the LD conference discusses policies other than Brexit rejectionism, and that the other parties have a serious discussion of the #peoplesvote.
    Peoples vote funded by the wealthy put forward by the elite and consisting only of sore remainers
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    So we've had a market crash and now a people's revolt. Pestilence or famine next?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1032692735315206144
  • Options

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Peoples vote funded by the wealthy put forward by the elite and consisting only of sore remainers
    Sure, it is the mirror image of the Leave campaign, but quite possibly will be adopted by Labour as policy.

• Options

So we've had a market crash and now a people's revolt. Pestilence or famine next?

A large proportion of his voters are already revolting.

Oh, is that not what Rudy meant?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A large proportion of his voters are already revolting.

Oh, is that not what Rudy meant?
    Deplorables? Who knew?

:)
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    @rcs1000 Apologies for not replying to you over ocean temperatures. You might want to watch the following videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUuDPpbRVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhsn-wKFzfk&t=49s

I would also suggest that you learn about the PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) and the AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation) which are both now in the cooling part of their cycles
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Russian bots....

How on earth did she get banned from Twitter?
    Well there were posts that I would expect anyone to get banned for. Having said that some of the more high profile posters she was linked to, seemed far worse and although they were on the verge a few times they seemed to survive. I wonder if popularity of followers gives you some immunity. They are never going to ban Trump are they?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kjh said:

Russian bots....

This is Plato on Gab I think:

https://gab.ai/PlatoSays
    It is, but if you notice it just comes to a sudden halt 4 months ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kjh said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Russian bots....

How on earth did she get banned from Twitter?
    Well there were posts that I would expect anyone to get banned for. Having said that some of the more high profile posters she was linked to, seemed far worse and although they were on the verge a few times they seemed to survive. I wonder if popularity of followers gives you some immunity. They are never going to ban Trump are they?
    Crickey...she must have gone really downhill since ban on here. On here it was just lots and lots of links to articles of shall we say dodgy reliability.
  • Options

kjh said:

Russian bots....

What’s GAB?
    I'm no expert but it seems like twitter, but more freedom to express views. An awful lot of the At-right were posting about it on Twitter as they were getting banned one by one as an alternative platform. The accounts that Plato was linked to all sprung up here and carried on where they left off on Twitter.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

@rcs1000 Apologies for not replying to you over ocean temperatures. You might want to watch the following videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUuDPpbRVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhsn-wKFzfk&t=49s

I would also suggest that you learn about the PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) and the AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation) which are both now in the cooling part of their cycles

I've seen both of those two videos in the past, as I've done extensive personal research on this topic. Neither of them addresses the issue that I have. Both of them are about the extent and thinkness of sea ice, which is an interesting topic but not the one I'm looking at.

However, my issue is that the overall heat content of the oceans seems to have risen. This measured via thermal expansion, via probes, and via IR readings from satellites. It is also corroborated by data on the ocean becoming more acidic (although there might be other factors at play, so I wouldn't read too much into them.)

Do you believe that the oceans have warmed? If not, what do you think the disconnect is? Where are we getting it wrong?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

twitter.com/mikercarpenter/status/1032698288842178560

Oleg Deripaska...thats Peter Mandelson's mate and owner of the yacht Osborne once went for dinner on.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

Not sure where you've got that from!?
    Can't find mention on the internet either, care to provide a link to that?
  • Options
    I do hope those last 3 posts made sense. My use of commas seemed limited and when used, a bit random.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,005

(and it should be remembered tt Plato was right - even if I doubt she was right for the right reasons. People on here made money from Trump's win.)

The question of what to do with info supplied by partisan posters has exercised me recently. Plato Provided lots of info for her own motives but it was still useful. You can't automatically discard it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Sure, it is the mirror image of the Leave campaign, but quite possibly will be adopted by Labour as policy.

Not a chance according to Barry Gardiner or Corbyn.

Even JRM complimented them for respecting the vote
  • Options
    Sheffield keeps on producing such intelligent guys.

https://twitter.com/martinfisheritv/status/1032612596451553280
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

Not sure where you've got that from!?
    Can't find mention on the internet either, care to provide a link to that?
    You're right, sorry, it was business rates not corporation tax.
This discussion has been closed.