Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irrespective of whether there’s an impeachment move it’s going

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6087783/Jeremy-Corbyn-said-British-Zionists-no-sense-English-irony.html

Corbyn: '[Zionists] clearly have two problems. One is they don't want to study history, and secondly, having lived in this country for a very long time, probably all their lives, they don't understand English irony either.'

you missed the best bit!

'They needed two lessons, which we could perhaps help them with.'
    That is shocking even by Corbyn's standards.
    I’m being dense but what is he alluding to?
    Jews/Zionists cannot have a loyalty to England/The UK because their real loyalty is to Israel.
    What’s worse I think is the assumption that many British Zionists may not have been born here and, even if they have, they are somehow not properly British.

Imagine if someone were to say that about black people who had come here from the West Indies as children - that they didn’t somehow understand some bit of the British character - despite living here most of their lives.

And to accuse Jews of not wanting to study history is utterly bizarre. If anything, it is precisely because Jews have a very acute sense of history that they are so simultaneously defensive about what they have and, In Israel, so aggressive towards others who also have a claim.
    Yep
    Surely even Teflon man can't survive this one?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British-Iranian woman sentenced to five years in jail in Iran for spying, has been temporarily released from prison for the first time in more than two years.

Zaghari-Ratcliffe, whose plight touched the nation and left a shadow hanging over Iran-UK relations, was given a three-day furlough on Thursday morning in a move that took her and her family by surprise.

She has since been reunited with her four-year-old daughter, Gabriella, who has been in the care of her Iranian family since she was 22-months-old.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/23/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-freed-temporarily-from-iran-jail

Let us hope that this is the beginning of the end of her troubles.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413

Am I missing something here?

I thought donations/subs were free from tax?

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1032507732820221952

Yes, but they goaded LabourHQ in using the exact same line as Amazon do on their tax affairs.
    That is quite funny.

Will they be more sympathetic to Amazon in future?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BBC News says "GCSE results rise despite tougher exams".

Oxymoron or just moron?

It's a nonsensical sentence anyway. I think they mean 'average grades rise despite tougher exams.'

In case anyone is wondering that doesn't seem to have been true for History or at any rate not with the board I work with. The marks are shockingly low across the country. Something to do with a failed civil servant now head of OFSTED having comprehensively buggered up the markscheme.
    Physics at my school has gone very well: more 9s than any other department and positive value added for the first time in ages. I normally find that the students I taught got what they deserved, but this year several of them have done much better than that. Loosing the coursework element has been a godsend.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6087783/Jeremy-Corbyn-said-British-Zionists-no-sense-English-irony.html

Corbyn: '[Zionists] clearly have two problems. One is they don't want to study history, and secondly, having lived in this country for a very long time, probably all their lives, they don't understand English irony either.'

you missed the best bit!

Jews/Zionists cannot have a loyalty to England/The UK because their real loyalty is to Israel.
    What’s worse I think is the assumption that many British Zionists may not have been born here and, even if they have, they are somehow not properly British.

Imagine if someone were to say that about black people who had come here from the West Indies as children - that they didn’t somehow understand some bit of the British character - despite living here most of their lives.

And to accuse Jews of not wanting to study history is utterly bizarre. If anything, it is precisely because Jews have a very acute sense of history that they are so simultaneously defensive about what they have and, In Israel, so aggressive towards others who also have a claim.
    Yep
    Unless MPs actually leave, why won't he frankly?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

TSE first? I’m calling for a full judge-led inquiry.

What do Trumptons like you think of Trumpton currently? Still supporting him?
    What? I'm a Trumpton?
    You are a supporter of Trump.
    I think you're a little off target there.

As it happens, I'm unsure there are many (any?) 'Trumptons' on the site atm - Plato was one, but most people seem to be looking at the betting implications rather than slavish followers of the orange one.

(and it should be remembered that Plato was right - even if I doubt she was right for the right reasons. People on here made money from Trump's win.)
    I dare say that those who supported his election are too embarrassed to admit it now, if that's what you are driving at.

P.S. I assume you refer to Plato's teaching that only a small proportion of human beings are engaged by reasoned discourse, but that the multitude are attracted by the telling of stories.

Yes, that accounts for Trump's success over Clinton but my question was about whether those who *supported* him still do so.
    No. It's that I don't think there were many supporters of Trump on here - at least in the wild-eyed, non-betting 'Trumpton' way. But this is a betting website, and it is sometimes wise to consider what the chances of something happening are, even if you don't want it to.

And by 'Plato' I was referring to a poster who loved cats and was, at one time, poster of the year. She became a rather strong Trump fan.
    I really hope Plato got/gets the help she needs. She was getting seriously deranged by the end of her posting career here.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

you missed the best bit!

It's also somewhat ironic given Corbyn has employed a notorious Irving-style falsifier of history as his press secretary.
    Ah, yes: the man who boasted that he spent time in one of the PLO’s terror training camps after leaving his expensive and exclusive public school. Twat.
    You forgot to mention his time at Oxford.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

you missed the best bit!

Yep
    Unless MPs actually leave, why won't he frankly?
    I know, I know. I am challenging my inner hope...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

you missed the best bit!

It's also somewhat ironic given Corbyn has employed a notorious Irving-style falsifier of history as his press secretary.
    Did you see Ken Livingstone’s RT article this week?
  • Options

Sean_F said:
    Am fairly certain Mrs May will expel them when they do something stupid/offensive.
    Surely they’ll fit in well in the Nasty Party!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British-Iranian woman sentenced to five years in jail in Iran for spying, has been temporarily released from prison for the first time in more than two years.

Zaghari-Ratcliffe, whose plight touched the nation and left a shadow hanging over Iran-UK relations, was given a three-day furlough on Thursday morning in a move that took her and her family by surprise.

She has since been reunited with her four-year-old daughter, Gabriella, who has been in the care of her Iranian family since she was 22-months-old.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/23/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-freed-temporarily-from-iran-jail

Let us hope that this is the beginning of the end of her troubles.
    Amen to that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Slackbladder, indeed.
  • Options
    Surely Tory HQ can block Banks from becoming a member? He's funded an alternative party for years. Madness.
  • Options

Did you see Ken Livingstone’s RT article this week?

If I want fake news I have a choice of examiners' reports in four subjects, so no. What did Gussie Fink-Nottle say?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

you missed the best bit!

Ah, yes: the man who boasted that he spent time in one of the PLO’s terror training camps after leaving his expensive and exclusive public school. Twat.
    Well, Nick Griffin went to Cambridge so only fair that Oxford should educate the Far Left equivalent.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

It's a nonsensical sentence anyway. I think they mean 'average grades rise despite tougher exams.'

In case anyone is wondering that doesn't seem to have been true for History or at any rate not with the board I work with. The marks are shockingly low across the country. Something to do with a failed civil servant now head of OFSTED having comprehensively buggered up the markscheme.
    Physics at my school has gone very well: more 9s than any other department and positive value added for the first time in ages. I normally find that the students I taught got what they deserved, but this year several of them have done much better than that. Loosing the coursework element has been a godsend.
    I'm glad to hear that. Science did well at our school - chemistry very well, in fact. So did RS. Sadly I just can't say the same for History.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

Congrats. I’m sure that it’s down in at least some measure to your efforts.
    My Sociology teacher granddaughter-in-law (elect) was very pleased with the A level results her students achieved.
    I recall being devastated when a student of mine did incredibly (to me) badly.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

you missed the best bit!

Well, Nick Griffin went to Cambridge so only fair that Oxford should educate the Far Left equivalent.
    But Nick Griffin is a Corbynista as well, isn't he?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I really hope Plato got/gets the help she needs. She was getting seriously deranged by the end of her posting career here.

It was like someone else had hijacked her account and started posting in her absence. The change was very noticeable.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Momentum in charge of labour, UKIP in charge of the Tories... FFS

Stop the world, I want to get off.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

Scott_P said:
    7.7% lower in 15 years time.........in other words 'we'll never know'......

How good were treasury forecasts for - oh I dunno - 2 years out from the referendum?
    Those muppets can't even predict borrowing for the year ahead FFS.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

I'm glad to hear that. Science did well at our school - chemistry very well, in fact. So did RS. Sadly I just can't say the same for History.
    When I was an election agent I was told that if the result was good, it was down to the candidate; if bad, it was down to the agent!

Contrary-wise, my (ex) teacher wife always said that some years, whatever you did, you never got through. Other years were excellent.

Just hope that grandson 2, who is keen on, and apparently good at, history, does well next year.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited August 2018
    Has Banks actually signed up and been accepted, or did he just complete the form so he could suggest he’s joined to his many followers?

I can’t see the Party Chairman actually taking his money.
  • Options

Imagine a world where Remain won, Cameron's still in charge, Tories still focussing on the economy, Corbyn's Labour tearing itself apart.

Leavers would have respected democracy and accepted the will of people to boot as well.
  • Options
    Well done to those with exam results today, whether teachers, pupils or proud parents.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

My Sociology teacher granddaughter-in-law (elect) was very pleased with the A level results her students achieved.
    The longer I teach, the more I realise that at long as you have actually covered everything that needed to be taught then 90% of the result is down to the pupils themselves.
    My A-level results, for instance, were immensely flattered by the fact that I taught a set where the entry requirement was that they were also doing double maths.
  • Options

John_M said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

A Special Prosecutor’s enquiry, surely?
    This is the kind of thing we'll have to get used to when TSE is the Peoples' Website Administrator 1st class.
    You will be exiled to Glasgow for misuse of an apostrophe.
    There's a Hobbs in Glasgow so not quite the Gulag.
    Due to a scheduling SNAFU I ended up in Glasgow for an hour whilst en route to Edinburgh.
    Did you do the Subway? :)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Hosts of Mordor rage: on cue.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

Imagine a world where Remain won, Cameron's still in charge, Tories still focussing on the economy, Corbyn's Labour tearing itself apart.

Leavers would have respected democracy and accepted the will of people to boot as well.
    The only way Cameron would have still been PM a year after the referendum is if remain had won by an absolutely stonking margin. A 52/48 remain win would have caused the bastards to stage a coup against him.
  • Options
    Exactly. As I pointed out yesterday. The stench of hypocrisy from this set of Oxbridge common room Stalinists can be smelt in France.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited August 2018

Am I missing something here?

I thought donations/subs were free from tax?

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1032507732820221952

Political parties do not pay tax. Stupid Sun. In any case, what has how much money you have in the bank got to do with Corporation Tax ?

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Surely Tory HQ can block Banks from becoming a member? He's funded an alternative party for years. Madness.

I am working on the assumption the risible Banks is peddling fake news again.

No way the Tory Party will accept his application and I’d expect a tweet to that effect by close of business today.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2018

It was like someone else had hijacked her account and started posting in her absence. The change was very noticeable.
    Russian bots....

The thing is people off PB met her in real life (prior trump conversion) and I don’t think people thought she particular odd or anything.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

It seems that every year there is one department (not the same one each year) which gets it in the neck from the examiners. Our own turn was a few years back. In many cases it comes down to a the coursework moderation: this is one of my main reasons of being delighted to see the end of it.
    Mark schemes in Physics are harder to get badly wrong, but exam boards like a challenge.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

The longer I teach, the more I realise that at long as you have actually covered everything that needed to be taught then 90% of the result is down to the pupils themselves.
    My A-level results, for instance, were immensely flattered by the fact that I taught a set where the entry requirement was that they were also doing double maths.
    B@*@%y hell. I did Physics A level. No way would have got anywhere near it if I’d had to do Maths, let alone double maths.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Maths, Chemistry and Physics were the options at my (50’s) Grammar School!

@ subject now!
  • Options

twitter.com/AtticusBakelite/status/1032542111864905728
    twitter.com/AtticusBakelite/status/1032542522348908544

The fastest way to get banned from comment is free, list the educational background of all the leading guardianistas....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Has Banks actually signed up and been accepted, or did he just complete the form so he could suggest he’s joined to his many followers?

The Tories would mad, quite literally mad to take this guy. Do they have some version of the NEC that can impose emergency membership rules (e.g. no one who has actively campaigned for UKIP).

Politics has never been so depressing.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

you missed the best bit!

Pah all water off a duck's back.

It is absolutely bizarre - what other senior politician, let alone leader of a mainstream Party has taken such a sustained and profound interest in the situation of another country?
    Just one other country.

I wonder if he has any interest at all in:

Indian policy in Kashmir
    Moroccan policy in Western Sahara
    Burmese policy in Rakhine
    Chinese policy in Tibet and Xinjiang
    Russian policy in Crimea
    Armenian policy in Nagorno Karabakh

So why this tunnel vision regarding Israel?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If I want fake news I have a choice of examiners' reports in four subjects, so no. What did Gussie Fink-Nottle say?

There's a lot to choose from:

- Accusations that Russia was behind the Skripal poisoning are 'biased'
    - Hints that JFK was killed by the US government
    - The truth about Suez didn't emerge until after Eden was dead
    - The Ukrainian crisis was triggered by the EU trade deal and threats of ethnic cleansing of Russians
    - Crimea is Russian and Krushchev was probably drunk when he made it part of Ukraine "but I’ve never seen that reported in the British media"
    - The missile that downed MH17 was of a type no longer used by the Russians but it was entirely possible Ukraine had some of them

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/436390-media-bias-lies-livingstone/
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The Tories would mad, quite literally mad to take this guy. Do they have some version of the NEC that can impose emergency membership rules (e.g. no one who has actively campaigned for UKIP).

Politics has never been so depressing.
    It would make all the negative coverage of lord Ashcroft over the years seem like a bad story in the market Drayton advertiser.
  • Options

twitter.com/AtticusBakelite/status/1032542111864905728
    twitter.com/AtticusBakelite/status/1032542522348908544

The fastest way to get banned from comment is free, list the educational background of all the leading guardianistas....
    There's nothing worse when an elitist tries to pretend they are an ordinary working class person.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

- The Ukrainian crisis was triggered by the EU trade deal and threats of ethnic cleansing of Russians
    - Crimea is Russian and Krushchev was probably drunk when he made it part of Ukraine "but I’ve never seen that reported in the British media"
    - The missile that downed MH17 was of a type no longer used by the Russians but it was entirely possible Ukraine had some of them

So basically the usual handily gathered together in one place?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Anazina said:

However, I demur from your view that there aren't Trump supporters (as opposed to backers) on here. There are. They might not admit it now, but that is a different matter.

Why shouldn't there be? This is not a site for Democratic Party supporters only. We have a wide range of views here, a few quite extreme. We even have some who admit to supporting Corbyn.
    Quite. And there are many who would not support Trump but who were equally appalled by Clinton. More interesting is to try dispassionately to understand his appeal to so many without simply dismissing them out of hand.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    People have been arrested over alleged child abuse in the Smyllum case:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45282865
  • Options

ydoethur said:

To be ‘fair’ Crimea was, historically, neither Ukranian nor Russian, but was resettled with Russians after WWII by Stalin, who had exiled the Crimean Tartars as ‘unreliable’.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'
    Well he spells "physics" with an "F" so why worry?!
  • Options

Russian bots....

The thing is people off PB met her in real life (prior trump conversion) and I don’t think people thought she particular odd or anything.
    That is why I never turn up at PB meets :D
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

Exactly. As I pointed out yesterday. The stench of hypocrisy from this set of Oxbridge common room Stalinists can be smelt in France.
    Nothing wrong with the universities they attended (well, apart from Cambridge being ****), but the schools they went to tell us all we need to know about their upbringing.

I didn't hear Corbyn's speech, does he really want the BBC to collect data on the parents of its workers? Because otherwise it's a pointless exercise because by definition the vast majority of BBC workers are As, Bs and C1s.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

B@*@%y hell. I did Physics A level. No way would have got anywhere near it if I’d had to do Maths, let alone double maths.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Maths, Chemistry and Physics were the options at my (50’s) Grammar School!

@ subject now!
    Doing Physics without maths is a bit like studying French poetry without being able to read French: you could just read the translations, but you would lose a huge amount. It is also easier to teach things like simple harmonic motion if you can start with the second order differential equation...
    Any decent Physics or Engineering course will need maths as well as (or even instead of) Physics.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'
    Bugger! I thought I checked that one..
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'
    Blame auto-correct.

Is what I do.
  • Options
    Dumbfuckery about the internet breeds dumbfuckery about the internet.

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1032641503246667778
  • Options

I had not considered leaving the UK, but it is becoming more likely. There are some nice spots in Ireland with affordable housing and good transport links to Dublin.
  • Options

Technically a lot of businesses and people pay Facebook and Twitter so their content is promoted/prominent.
  • Options

John_M said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

This is the kind of thing we'll have to get used to when TSE is the Peoples' Website Administrator 1st class.
    Due to a scheduling SNAFU I ended up in Glasgow for an hour whilst en route to Edinburgh.
    Did I hear that you went all the way to Aberystwyth and didn’t go on the Vale of Rheidol railway?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Cleverly is up there with Adonis as a hostage-to-nominative-deterministic-fortune.
  • Options
    Can you imagine if a leading British politician said that Muslims have no sense of British irony despite living here all their lives, they need lessons....they would be finished....
  • Options
    Mrs C, only been to one meet, but everyone was very civil despite differing views. Obviously you need some sunglasses to fend off the neon terror of Mr. Eagles' wardrobe, but otherwise it'll be fine.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'
    Blame auto-correct.

Is what I do.
    In class I would congratulate Mr Divvie for spotting my deliberate mistake.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

@ subject now!
    Doing Physics without maths is a bit like studying French poetry without being able to read French: you could just read the translations, but you would lose a huge amount. It is also easier to teach things like simple harmonic motion if you can start with the second order differential equation...
    Any decent Physics or Engineering course will need maths as well as (or even instead of) Physics.
    In the 50’s Schools of both Pharmacy and Medicine required Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It was, though, possible to get away without Physics in some. We had some Maths courses, butb they were primarily Statistics and not treated by most of us very seriously, since they wouldn’t be examined.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Where they probably have holiday homes!
  • Options

Who do think ultimately pays for advertising?
  • Options
    Off-topic:

I haven't seen Mr Tyndall post recently. Have I missed some posts whilst I was away - I hope he's well.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

John_M said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Did I hear that you went all the way to Aberystwyth and didn’t go on the Vale of Rheidol railway?
    It's been closed for a lot of the summer due to wildfires near Pontarfynach.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'
    You've given pleaure to a pedant, there is no greater service that can be done on PB.

It's one of my pet hates, probably down to the years I worked for racing tipsters and the continual stream of e-mails received from punters asking why our 'stupid ****ing tipsters keep giving out stupid ****ing loosing tips'.
  • Options

Who do think ultimately pays for advertising?
    Vladimir Putin.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678

Russian bots....

I followed her on twitter after she got banned here and then on GAB once she got banned on twitter. A few months ago she just stopped posting, going from many a day to nothing, which is worrying. I found the links to other twitter and GAB accounts of others of a like mind very interesting. The posts did seem to have the feel of a cult follower.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    I suspect this might be what the boffins refer to as a "voodoo poll".

Can't be sure, mind you.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Russian bots....

I followed her on twitter after she got banned here and then on GAB once she got banned on twitter. A few months ago she just stopped posting, going from many a day to nothing, which is worrying. I found the links to other twitter and GAB accounts of others of a like mind very interesting. The posts did seem to have the feel of a cult follower.
    Got banned from twitter...that is some achievement.
  • Options
    F1: Force India will be racing at Spa.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

@ subject now!
    In the 50’s Schools of both Pharmacy and Medicine required Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It was, though, possible to get away without Physics in some. We had some Maths courses, butb they were primarily Statistics and not treated by most of us very seriously, since they wouldn’t be examined.
    I’ve had quite a lot of medical treatment over the last decade and I’d like to think that pharmacists and anaesthetists have a decent grasp of the mathematical basics.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

you missed the best bit!

Pah all water off a duck's back.

It is absolutely bizarre - what other senior politician, let alone leader of a mainstream Party has taken such a sustained and profound interest in the situation of another country?
    Just one other country.

I wonder if he has any interest at all in:

Indian policy in Kashmir
    Moroccan policy in Western Sahara
    Burmese policy in Rakhine
    Chinese policy in Tibet and Xinjiang
    Russian policy in Crimea
    Armenian policy in Nagorno Karabakh

So why this tunnel vision regarding Israel?
    Indeed Sunil but I fear people are becoming inured to it.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Mr. kjh, yeah... I hope she's ok.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Jessop, likewise.
  • Options

Mrs C, only been to one meet, but everyone was very civil despite differing views. Obviously you need some sunglasses to fend off the neon terror of Mr. Eagles' wardrobe, but otherwise it'll be fine.

My fashion sense is awesome.

Salmon and blue striped shirts are the sign of a man at the top of his profession.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

@ subject now!
    I’ve had quite a lot of medical treatment over the last decade and I’d like to think that pharmacists and anaesthetists have a decent grasp of the mathematical basics.
    I imagine you'd struggle to get anywhere with Chemistry and Physics without a decent grasp of the mathematical basics.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

John_M said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Ah, fair enough. Hope they’re managing to keep the fires under control. Is the Cliff railway still running?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Russian bots....

How on earth did she get banned from Twitter?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, they certainly are. If his profession is epilepsy research.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071

Not 3.9 million EU citizens - 30 million:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1032628559423188992

I'd be very surprised if 30 million EU citizens had UK bank accounts*. If that number is not a typo (and I suspect it is a typo), then it has to include multiple bank accounts held by single people, and corporate accounts. And even then it seems insanely high.

* Of course, it's probably true today. But only because Brits are also EU citizens today...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'
    You've given pleaure to a pedant, there is no greater service that can be done on PB.

It's one of my pet hates, probably down to the years I worked for racing tipsters and the continual stream of e-mails received from punters asking why our 'stupid ****ing tipsters keep giving out stupid ****ing loosing tips'.
    I had a report on a pupil returned by his form tutor who wanted to know why he was “contentious”. I had ment to write “conscientious” but the auto-correct decided differently.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull digs in and tells Peter Dutton to prove he's eligible to sit in Parliament"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-23/malcolm-turnbull-digs-in-leader-of-liberal-party/10156386
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Russian bots....

How on earth did she get banned from Twitter?
    It was around the same time as Twitter purged a lot of Russian bot accounts.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

you missed the best bit!

But Nick Griffin is a Corbynista as well, isn't he?
    Yes, indeed. The Far Right and Far Left both like violence, authoritarian states and hate Jews.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

John_M said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Ah, fair enough. Hope they’re managing to keep the fires under control. Is the Cliff railway still running?
    There's been heavy rain for the last two weeks and that put the fires out. AFAIK the Funicular is still going.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

I'd be very surprised if 30 million EU citizens had UK bank accounts*. If that number is not a typo (and I suspect it is a typo), then it has to include multiple bank accounts held by single people, and corporate accounts. And even then it seems insanely high.

* Of course, it's probably true today. But only because Brits are also EU citizens today...
    It's not just bank accounts, though - the figure would include insurance policies, annuities, probably fund investments, and so, all sold via passporting into the EU.

Dunno if it's right, though.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

@ subject now!
    I imagine you'd struggle to get anywhere with Chemistry and Physics without a decent grasp of the mathematical basics.
    For some reason the concept of the Mole proves particularly hard.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

@ subject now!
    So would I Mr T, so would I! Most of us are fine with basic maths but as an on-call pharmacist I was once rung up at 2am by an an anaesthetist arguing about the strength of a pre-prepared syringe with he’d been supplied. I managed to convince him we were right; he appeared to have some problem over decimals.
    In passing, the introduction of the decimal system into British medicine was not without its disadvantages. The Apothecaries system, once one understood it properly, was much less likely to cause errors of tens of magnitude.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oxymoron or just moron?

*coughs softly*

'losing'

I had a report on a pupil returned by his form tutor who wanted to know why he was “contentious”. I had ment to write “conscientious” but the auto-correct decided differently.
    For a Year 9 'contentious' might have made more sense...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why is it surprising? What the total cumulative number of EU citizens who've studied or worked in the UK at some point?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,383
    I don't think we can be in any doubt now that Jeremy Corbyn is racist. It's the kind of kind of comment retired colonels used to say about minorities at port fuelled Conservative luncheons. Not that his apologists will care. Shame on them.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-zionists-have-no-sense-of-english-irony-1.468795
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    edited August 2018
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

What do Trumptons like you think of Trumpton currently? Still supporting him?
    What? I'm a Trumpton?
    You are a supporter of Trump.
    I think you're a little off target there.

As it happens, I'm unsure there are many (any?) 'Trumptons' on the site atm - Plato was one, but most people seem to be looking at the betting implications rather than slavish followers of the orange one.

(and it should be remembered that Plato was right - even if I doubt she was right for the right reasons. People on here made money from Trump's win.)
    I dare say that those who supported his election are too embarrassed to admit it now, if that's what you are driving at.

P.S. I assume you refer to Plato's teaching that only a small proportion of human beings are engaged by reasoned discourse, but that the multitude are attracted by the telling of stories.

Yes, that accounts for Trump's success over Clinton but my question was about whether those who *supported* him still do so.
    As far as one can tell, the large majority do. He won 46% of the vote, and his approval rating is 43%.
    Trump's big problem is this: the rest belt states he flipped in 2016 are doing worse, economically, than the rest of the country.

The places that are booming are either reliably Democrat (Washington state, for example), or reliably Republican (Texas). The only exceptions to this rule are Florida (strong growth) and Virginia (reasonable growth).
This discussion has been closed.