Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irrespective of whether there’s an impeachment move it’s going

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Of course anyone who is eligible to join can join and me resigning would feel like giving up but if there is no party to represent me then so be it.

I have already reached that point. My "political position" has moved to the point where there is no party that represents me or my views. I have a choice of fascists, commies or navel-gazers for the main parties and certifiable, swivel-eye loons for the fringe parties.
    Well, this autumn conference season should give a clear picture of the direction of travel of the major parties.

I hope that the LD conference discusses policies other than Brexit rejectionism, and that the other parties have a serious discussion of the #peoplesvote.
    Peoples vote funded by the wealthy put forward by the elite and consisting only of sore remainers
    Sure, it is the mirror image of the Leave campaign, but quite possibly will be adopted by Labour as policy.

Not a chance according to Barry Gardiner or Corbyn.

Even JRM complimented them for respecting the vote
    Nobody should be afraid of a second referendum. Remain Ultras are like Bourbons - they have learned nothing and taste horrible.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    viewcode said:

(and it should be remembered tt Plato was right - even if I doubt she was right for the right reasons. People on here made money from Trump's win.)

The question of what to do with info supplied by partisan posters has exercised me recently. Plato Provided lots of info for her own motives but it was still useful. You can't automatically discard it.
    Your time is limited. And there are plenty of smart people who don't agree with you. So best to ignore the ones who post links to stuff that's frequently obviously wrong and sometimes they didn't even read themselves.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Sheffield keeps on producing such intelligent guys.

https://twitter.com/martinfisheritv/status/1032612596451553280

- Jared O'Mara

- Probably not Nick Clegg

- Roy Hattersley

• Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

I really hope Plato got/gets the help she needs. She was getting seriously deranged by the end of her posting career here.

It was like someone else had hijacked her account and started posting in her absence. The change was very noticeable.
    Russian bots....

The thing is people off PB met her in real life (prior trump conversion) and I don’t think people thought she particular odd or anything.
    I followed her on twitter after she got banned here and then on GAB once she got banned on twitter. A few months ago she just stopped posting, going from many a day to nothing, which is worrying. I found the links to other twitter and GAB accounts of others of a like mind very interesting. The posts did seem to have the feel of a cult follower.
    What’s GAB?
    I'm no expert but it seems like twitter, but more freedom to express views. An awful lot of the At-right were posting about it on Twitter as they were getting banned one by one as an alternative platform. The accounts that Plato was linked to all sprung up here and carried on where they left off on Twitter.
    Surely it should be called GOB
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    kjh said:

I do hope those last 3 posts made sense. My use of commas seemed limited and when used, a bit random.

I wouldn't worry about it - unless you go crazy with hyphens, diversions (usually in the form of parenthetical statements) and semi-colons then I think you'll be fine; fortunately there are not many like that.
  • Options

- Jared O'Mara

- Probably not Nick Clegg

- Roy Hattersley

Nick Clegg's not a Sheffield lad.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678
    viewcode said:

(and it should be remembered tt Plato was right - even if I doubt she was right for the right reasons. People on here made money from Trump's win.)

The question of what to do with info supplied by partisan posters has exercised me recently. Plato Provided lots of info for her own motives but it was still useful. You can't automatically discard it.
    The trouble is identifying the wheat from the chaff. When following the threads Plato was involved in on twitter and GAB, it appears all Alt-right conspiracy nonsense, but of course that doesn't mean that they don't pick up on something that just might be genuine. Because of the rest you automatically dismiss it all. But they were months and months ahead on the London stabbings and the issues within Sweden (covered extensively on Newsnight last night).
  • Options

Nine nines is very good, but hardly unique.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    viewcode said:

You can when some of it is demonstrably wrong, and the poster refuses to accept. The classic one was Clinton selling Americas Plutonium stocks.

In that case, it becomes a case of sorting the wheat from the chaff, and there was a heck of a lot of chaff. Or, to use a different metaphor, the signal to noise ratio was very low.

At least we don't have Scott Adams' ramblings posted here daily anymore...
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

Am I missing something here?

I thought donations/subs were free from tax?

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1032507732820221952

The Labour Party (and the other political parties) are not for profit entities which pay corporation tax.

So the Tweet is bizarre. It's like accusing the RSPCA of not paying corporation tax.
    Hardly bizarre for a right wing tabloid to make basic errors in their rush to accuse the Labour party of hypocrisy.
    But their last manifesto said that charities would have to pay corporation tax.
    Not sure where you've got that from!?
    Can't find mention on the internet either, care to provide a link to that?
    You're right, sorry, it was business rates not corporation tax.
    That most rare of things on pb.com, an admission that someone was wrong and an apology.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678
    kle4 said:

kjh said:

I do hope those last 3 posts made sense. My use of commas seemed limited and when used, a bit random.

I wouldn't worry about it - unless you go crazy with hyphens, diversions (usually in the form of parenthetical statements) and semi-colons then I think you'll be fine; fortunately there are not many like that.
    :)
  • Options
    @rcs

Why don't you think a political party would pay corporation tax?

• Options
    edited August 2018

My advice to my son, if he is lucky enough to get that sort of result will be *not* to get involved in any publicity in the media. Nowadays there's too many people who will see it, it will linger, and there's no real advantage to it.

Edit: but congratulations to him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So we've had a market crash and now a people's revolt. Pestilence or famine next?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1032692735315206144

A large proportion of his voters are already revolting.

Oh, is that not what Rudy meant?
    Betting tip. There’s absolutely zero chance of a Trump impeachment now. Democrats rather come up against him than Pence in the next election.

Further betting tip. Warren is the Democratic nominee. Two reasons, the high command are filing in around her, and she’s building a policy platform, such as how to properly drain swamp, whilst others who will run are just smiling like gimps without building platform
  • Options

My advice to my son, if he is lucky enough to get that sort of result will be *not* to get involved in any publicity in the media. Nowadays there's too many people who will see it, it will linger, and there's no real advantage to it.
    Personally I quite enjoyed the Daily Star mocking me, but there you go.
  • Options

Based on the pupils at my school who got straight nines, there was not much luck involved but an awful lot of hard work and skill.
    Having the ability could be described as luck I suppose, but the hard work certainly isn’t.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Based on the last accounts published on the electoral commission website, Labour is chargeable to corporation tax (http://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Api/Accounts/Documents/16479) on investment income as an unincorporated association. The Lib Dems seem to be the same: http://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Api/Accounts/Documents/16481 though they use the phrase "voluntary society".

whereas the Conservatives are chargeable to income tax (http://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Api/Accounts/Documents/16472) at the basic rate. I'm not sure why it should be basic rate. Famously CCHQ was also an unincorporated association.
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia (I know) that verse from Proverbs is a favourite of one Ken Livingstone.
  • Options
    Thinking about it a bit more, its a bit brave of Paul Masteron to be describing part of the Jewish scriptures as nonsense in the current climate.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’d be more worried by the conspiracy theory aspect than the nonsense.

Hardline Leavers in a different life would be hardline anti-Zionists.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Of course anyone who is eligible to join can join and me resigning would feel like giving up but if there is no party to represent me then so be it.

I have already reached that point. My "political position" has moved to the point where there is no party that represents me or my views. I have a choice of fascists, commies or navel-gazers for the main parties and certifiable, swivel-eye loons for the fringe parties.
    Well, this autumn conference season should give a clear picture of the direction of travel of the major parties.

I hope that the LD conference discusses policies other than Brexit rejectionism, and that the other parties have a serious discussion of the #peoplesvote.
    I can always hope :+1:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

ydoethur said:

So we've had a market crash and now a people's revolt. Pestilence or famine next?

Betting tip. There’s absolutely zero chance of a Trump impeachment now. Democrats rather come up against him than Pence in the next election.

Further betting tip. Warren is the Democratic nominee. Two reasons, the high command are filing in around her, and she’s building a policy platform, such as how to properly drain swamp, whilst others who will run are just smiling like gimps without building platform
    I tend to agree with the first proposition, but not the second.

There are a number of Democrats who are looking to run, and once we start having debates, then everything changes. (Remember, we're probably only six to nine months from the first debates.) Someone will have a good night, that someone will start to build momentum.

I can't think of any challenger Primary season where there hasn't been pretty serious competition.

So, I think you have to reckon that when the first debate starts you will have at least four or five of:

Cory Booker
    Mitch Landrieu
    Andrew Cuomo
    Terry McAuliffe
    Elizabeth Warren
    Deval Patrick
    Kirsten Gillibgrand
    John Hickenlooper
    Joe Biden
    Kamala Harris
    Bernie Sanders

Now, I suspect neither Joe nor Bernie will end up running. So of the remainder, I'd suggest people take a look at impressive but slightly under the radar candidates: i.e. Mitch Landrieu, John Hickenlooper, or Terry McAuliffe.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

@rcs1000 Apologies for not replying to you over ocean temperatures. You might want to watch the following videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUuDPpbRVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhsn-wKFzfk&t=49s

I would also suggest that you learn about the PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) and the AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation) which are both now in the cooling part of their cycles

I've seen both of those two videos in the past, as I've done extensive personal research on this topic. Neither of them addresses the issue that I have. Both of them are about the extent and thinkness of sea ice, which is an interesting topic but not the one I'm looking at.

However, my issue is that the overall heat content of the oceans seems to have risen. This measured via thermal expansion, via probes, and via IR readings from satellites. It is also corroborated by data on the ocean becoming more acidic (although there might be other factors at play, so I wouldn't read too much into them.)

Do you believe that the oceans have warmed? If not, what do you think the disconnect is? Where are we getting it wrong?
    With the oncoming grand solar minimum, historically those conditions have lined up with more volcanic / seismic activity, which in some areas of the world is hugely significant such as West Antarctica, particularly the ridge going up to South America. There is a lot of volcanic activity going on along the northern edge of the mid-Atlantic ridge which goes up between Svalbard and then wraps around west to the the north of Greenland. When Northern America was under 2 miles of ice at the height of the last ice age around 22-23,000 years ago the Arctic was under much less thickness of ice, mainly as a result of all the underwater volcanic activity. It's postulated that all that sulphur dioxide is behind more acidification that you mention, but I'd like to see further definitive research done on it.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

@rcs1000 Apologies for not replying to you over ocean temperatures. You might want to watch the following videos:

I would also suggest that you learn about the PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) and the AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation) which are both now in the cooling part of their cycles

I've seen both of those two videos in the past, as I've done extensive personal research on this topic. Neither of them addresses the issue that I have. Both of them are about the extent and thinkness of sea ice, which is an interesting topic but not the one I'm looking at.

However, my issue is that the overall heat content of the oceans seems to have risen. This measured via thermal expansion, via probes, and via IR readings from satellites. It is also corroborated by data on the ocean becoming more acidic (although there might be other factors at play, so I wouldn't read too much into them.)

Do you believe that the oceans have warmed? If not, what do you think the disconnect is? Where are we getting it wrong?
    With the oncoming grand solar minimum, historically those conditions have lined up with more volcanic / seismic activity, which in some areas of the world is hugely significant such as West Antarctica, particularly the ridge going up to South America. There is a lot of volcanic activity going on along the northern edge of the mid-Atlantic ridge which goes up between Svalbard and then wraps around west to the the north of Greenland. When Northern America was under 2 miles of ice at the height of the last ice age around 22-23,000 years ago the Arctic was under much less thickness of ice, mainly as a result of all the underwater volcanic activity. It's postulated that all that sulphur dioxide is behind more acidification that you mention, but I'd like to see further definitive research done on it.
    Do we have any way to measure the quantity/size of underwater volcanic activity? It could easily be distorting ocean numbers - but we need to have data to confirm/reject the hypothesis.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

God, I've missed your gibberish. Welcome back darling.
  • Options

@rcs

Because it is not:

The Conservative Party Ltd or
    The Conservative Party PLC

Instead it (probably) is

The Conservative Party (Charity Number xxx)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

ydoethur said:

"Pocahontas" would probably be Trump's choice of opponent though. Easy to portray as Hillary on steroids and fire up his base.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As it happens, I visited an erstwhile underwater volcano today.
  • Options

I’d be more worried by the conspiracy theory aspect than the nonsense.

Hardline Leavers in a different life would be hardline anti-Zionists.
    I was going to question why an anti-Zionist would be quoting from the Old Testiment, but then I remembered what I just posted about Ken.

As you were.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

ydoethur said:

"Pocahontas" would probably be Trump's choice of opponent though. Easy to portray as Hillary on steroids and fire up his base.
    I agree, she would be Trump's dream opponent.

I think the people he would struggle against would be:

Eric Holder (ex NY Attorney General, could hammer Trump on corruption)
    John Hickenlooper (popular governor of Colorado, successful businessman, very difficult to rile)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rcs1000 said:

@rcs

Because it is not:

Instead it (probably) is

Well, OK, I see your reasoning but no, none of the main political parties are registered charities. Some have charities that support them though. They are mainly unincorporated associations.

EDIT: https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/political-parties-able-claim-gift-aid-says-tory-co-chairman/finance/article/1057851
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited August 2018

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now this is what you call a subtweet.

Also shows why Hunt is nailed on to be the next PM/Tory leader

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1032674664336777217

The same Hunt who polls as badly with the public as with Tory members?
    Polls changed, things like this will see Hunt's ratings improve.

There's a reason why Hunt's odds have moved from 100/1 to 12/1 in the last year.

Perhaps if you took your head out of Boris Johnson's colon you'd understand why.
    I think Mike made a good point in this thread (http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/08/22/icm-poll-tories-would-be-worse-off-if-either-bojo-or-moggsy-succeeded-tmay/) that new Leader's get boosts, and I tend to think even a poorly rated candidate, who should be well known among the selectorate, has a chance to reinvent their image and win people over.

Even so, Boris does seem to strike a chord with many of your fellows, can Hunt/Javid/Unknown stop him if he gets to the final two?
    Boris and his acolytes know he's got a lack of support of MPs that there's a very strong chance he won't make the final two.

That's why they are trying to change the rules.
    You're not concerned at a backlash from that faction if he doesn't make the final two?
    No.
    Wrong. There will be a huge write-in for Boris if he stands but doesn't make the final two.

No there won't. That is not how any UK forms of voting has ever worked.

We chose between the candidates listed or spoil the ballot paper.

A write-in campaign, if it got any traction, would just lead to some ballot spoiling. It would not propel Boris (or any other written-in name) to the leadership.

If the voting is electronic - as is not impossible - there is no scope for writing-in at all!
    And if say half the ballots got spoilt by people writing in for Boris? You have a leader who the members don't believe in.....why should the wider electorate?

EDIT: and electronic voting? For the Tory members? lol!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

The solar minimum would also tie up with Svensmark's Cosmic Ray hypothesis since the reduced solar magnetosphere would allow more high energy cosmic rays to impinge on the Earth's atmosphere inducing cloud seeding at low altitudes which would have a cooling effect on the planet.

I have no doubt that the climate changes and, therefore, by definition, Climate Change exists and happens. I do doubt that it has a single cause.

Personally, my biggest worry is ocean floor clathrates
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

There's a reason why Hunt's odds have moved from 100/1 to 12/1 in the last year.

Perhaps if you took your head out of Boris Johnson's colon you'd understand why.
    I think Mike made a good point in this thread (http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/08/22/icm-poll-tories-would-be-worse-off-if-either-bojo-or-moggsy-succeeded-tmay/) that new Leader's get boosts, and I tend to think even a poorly rated candidate, who should be well known among the selectorate, has a chance to reinvent their image and win people over.

Even so, Boris does seem to strike a chord with many of your fellows, can Hunt/Javid/Unknown stop him if he gets to the final two?
    Boris and his acolytes know he's got a lack of support of MPs that there's a very strong chance he won't make the final two.

You're not concerned at a backlash from that faction if he doesn't make the final two?
    No.
    Wrong. There will be a huge write-in for Boris if he stands but doesn't make the final two.

A write-in campaign, if it got any traction, would just lead to some ballot spoiling. It would not propel Boris (or any other written-in name) to the leadership.

If the voting is electronic - as is not impossible - there is no scope for writing-in at all!
    And if say half the ballots got spoilt by people writing in for Boris? You have a leader who the members don't believe in.....why should the wider electorate?

Well quite. I've known Tory members who hadn't yet got to grips with the automobile.
  • Options
    edbedb Posts: 65
    Every high profile US legal investigation reminds me how glad I am not to live there. Especially if the Feds are really out to get you.
    Plea deals and granted immunity are like an administrative version of extracting evidence by torture. Make up something good or you go down for literally decades.
    Before you even get onto the partisan appointments, or the size of the legal fees.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

As it happens, I visited an erstwhile underwater volcano today.

I've decided volcanoes are pretty scary. I was recently in Pompeii and there was something or other happening - I have no idea what it was, and everyone else seemed relaxed. Not for me. However if I can see remotely what's going on then I'm hugely interested.

We're so insignificant against these things.

• Options

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

The solar minimum would also tie up with Svensmark's Cosmic Ray hypothesis since the reduced solar magnetosphere would allow more high energy cosmic rays to impinge on the Earth's atmosphere inducing cloud seeding at low altitudes which would have a cooling effect on the planet.

I have no doubt that the climate changes and, therefore, by definition, Climate Change exists and happens. I do doubt that it has a single cause.

You mean methane trapped as ice? That's the power source of the future, that is.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.

They won’t be voting for they will be voting against. How else do you explain IDS?
  • Options

Based on the pupils at my school who got straight nines, there was not much luck involved but an awful lot of hard work and skill.
    Having the ability could be described as luck I suppose, but the hard work certainly isn’t.
    Good point, well put.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited August 2018
    If he’s going to qu

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No.

I don’t think you know much about the Tory Party if you think our members would ‘write-in’ somebody who wasn’t eligible under the rules. That’s just not how we are.

It’s the kind of thing silly people who belong to silly parties would do.
  • Options

Good point, well put.
    Thanks. It irritates me a bit when doing well at school is regarded as ‘luck’.

On the other hand doing badly in a particular subject can be down to bad luck, if incompetent exam boards (or possibly even teachers) count as such.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2018
    Some details, by the Washington Post, of Trump's vagaries with the truth:

https://tinyurl.com/yc2abuax
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Sweden: Pre-election voting started in Sweden and for Swedish voters abroad with expectations that half of the voters will cast their vote, will do it before the actual election date (9 September). #val2018 #valet2018 #Sweden #svpol

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2018
    I find it rather interesting the reaction in the media to the news the Big Bang theory is ending compared Brooklyn 99 was getting canned.

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/aug/23/big-bang-theory-finally-ending-after-twelve-seasons

One is one of the most successful sitcoms of all time the other hardly watched, but because Big Bang theory is “regressive” it gets the thumbs down where as right in Brooklyn 99 got all its so unfair cos it’s so good.

IMO Big Bang should have got canned 3-4 seasons ago. Brooklyn 99 was just shit.
  • Options

Good point, well put.
    Thanks. It irritates me a bit when doing well at school is regarded as ‘luck’.

On the other hand doing badly in a particular subject can be down to bad luck, if incompetent exam boards (or possibly even teachers) count as such.
    My GCSEs were utterly mucked up by long-term ill health. As the ill-health was not self-inflicted, I see it as luck, albeit bad luck. That was kind-of what I was referring to, especially as he might have inherited the problem.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    rcs1000 said:

dodrade said:

ydoethur said:

John Hickenlooper (popular governor of Colorado, successful businessman, very difficult to rile)
    I am yet to be convinced that Dems have an answer to Trump, or indeed to their own identity politics/Occupy Wall Street politics.

Where is their JFK or even Clinton?
  • Options

I find it rather interesting the reaction in the media to the news the Big Bang theory is ending compared Brooklyn 99 was getting canned.

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/aug/23/big-bang-theory-finally-ending-after-twelve-seasons

One is one of the most successful sitcoms of all time the other hardly watched, but because Big Bang theory is “regressive” it gets the thumbs down where as right in Brooklyn 99 got all its so unfair cos it’s so good.

IMO Big Bang should have got canned 3-4 seasons ago.

I think Big Bang Theory in unbearable, I enjoy Brooklyn 99
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Solar impact is negligible when compared to anthropogenic forcing.

2019 will be another hot one (*maybe* even the hottest ever) if the predicted El-Nino takes hold over the winter.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    kjh said:

AndyJS said:

kjh said:

I really hope Plato got/gets the help she needs. She was getting seriously deranged by the end of her posting career here.

It was like someone else had hijacked her account and started posting in her absence. The change was very noticeable.
    Russian bots....

The thing is people off PB met her in real life (prior trump conversion) and I don’t think people thought she particular odd or anything.
    I followed her on twitter after she got banned here and then on GAB once she got banned on twitter. A few months ago she just stopped posting, going from many a day to nothing, which is worrying. I found the links to other twitter and GAB accounts of others of a like mind very interesting. The posts did seem to have the feel of a cult follower.
    This is Plato on Gab I think:

https://gab.ai/PlatoSays
    It is, but if you notice it just comes to a sudden halt 4 months ago.
    That's odd. Hope she's okay.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    murali_s said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

2019 will be another hot one (*maybe* even the hottest ever) if the predicted El-Nino takes hold over the winter.
    Hottest on record. The Earth has undoubtedly been warmer in the past.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Hottest on record. The Earth has undoubtedly been warmer in the past.
    Thanks for the correction but my point stands.
  • Options

The market suggests you are most definitely in the minority.
  • Options

I suspect the canned laughter players better in American than it does in my ears
  • Options
    RobD said "Hottest on record. The Earth has undoubtedly been warmer in the past. "

I'm tempted to say "well, that's alright then."
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edb said:

Every high profile US legal investigation reminds me how glad I am not to live there. Especially if the Feds are really out to get you.
    Plea deals and granted immunity are like an administrative version of extracting evidence by torture. Make up something good or you go down for literally decades.
    Before you even get onto the partisan appointments, or the size of the legal fees.

I couldn`t agree more.

Why do we have an extradition treaty with the US?
  • Options
    I adore The Big Bang Theory, there's so much of me in that show.

I'm a lot like Raj, shy and innocent around women (well I used to be)

I'm a lot like Howard, I know this will come as a shock to you all, but I do say some outrageous things.

I'm a lot like Leonard, a nerd/geek who fell in love with a hot woman well out of my league.

I do share some traits with Sheldon.
  • Options
    Toms said:

RobD said "Hottest on record. The Earth has undoubtedly been warmer in the past. "

I'm tempted to say "well, that's alright then."

Just reining in the hyperbole a bit ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

dodrade said:

ydoethur said:

I am yet to be convinced that Dems have an answer to Trump, or indeed to their own identity politics/Occupy Wall Street politics.

Where is their JFK or even Clinton?
    Don't forget that Carter won in '76, and he wasn't exactly Mr Charisma.

Really, the issue that Trump has is that he only won very narrowly last time around, the people benefiting from his economics policies are mostly in California and Texas, and the drip-drip of ethics stories discourage independents and moderate Republicans from being as enthused as they might be.

Now, it's possible the economy will be actually booming in November 2020, in which case he probably wins on a wave of economic optimism, irrespective. But otherwise, I think so long as Dems avoid picking someone who plays the identity politics card, then they're in with a shout.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    John_M said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

God, I've missed your gibberish. Welcome back darling.
    Join the anti-MMR jokers, only 40,000 measles cases so far this year, with 39 deaths compared with 38 for the entire 2017. Pity so many believe they know more than scientists and specialists. As for the theory of global warming, I can remember reading in New Scientist, that the cycle of ice ages last around 100,000 years, while the temperate periods last around 10,000 years in between. Um! The last ice age is considered to have ended 11,000 years ago....
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Floater said:
    Imagine if any politician made that statement about any other monority group in the UK, they would be finished. All those corbynistas who hate Kipling at Manchester university for saying similar kind of things about Indians 100 years ago, wonder what they make of it?
  • Options
    Floater said:
    I'm a lefty.
    I've had it with C****n.
    And I agree with SeanT's verbal histrionical description of him.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not consistent with Gardiner or Corbyn - wishful thinking
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    rcs1000 said:

@rcs

Because it is not:

Instead it (probably) is

The Conservative party is not a charity, nor is any other political party.

But, political parties have legislated for themselves similar tax exemptions to charities.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Not consistent with Gardiner or Corbyn - wishful thinking
    Corbyn seems to be playing a blinder on that score - lots of remainers will believe Labour are totally in favour of a referendum, even as he does not piss off leavers.
  • Options

Floater said:
    Imagine if any politician made that statement about any other monority group in the UK, they would be finished. All those corbynistas who hate Kipling at Manchester university for saying similar kind of things about Indians 100 years ago, wonder what they make of it?
    Smear, misquoted, out of context, what about killing children, smears, won noble prize, fought racism all his life, smears, jesus come to earth again, smears, jews jews jews, smears.
  • Options

I saw a couple of seasons, it was...ok, but leaned too hard on annoying humour. Brooklyn Nine Nine's first couple of episodes were not very good, so I didn't keep watching, but when I went back I fell in love with the show, much funnier, with great characters.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Floater said:
    I'm a lefty.
    I've had it with C****n.
    And I agree with SeanT's verbal histrionical description of him.
    But the movement needs to support him regardless!
  • Options

I suspect the canned laughter players better in American than it does in my ears
    It's something that never used to bother me but now makes it hard to watch things with it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Pulpstar said:
    A novel take on the 'You'll never believe what the baby on the cover of Nevermind looks like now' schtick.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited August 2018
    AndyJS said:
    Talking to people about himself apparently whereever he goes.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    edited August 2018
    AndyJS said:
    If they're adjacent to a red faced, ranting seant I could hazard a guess as to why they look mildly bored.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    AndyJS said:
    Freakonomics had a recent episode on this. One of the people they talked to was a Brit ex-pat and she basically said that is how it felt for several years (especially coming from London), but now is happier than ever. The ability to leave at 4pm and pick up her kids and then spend the rest of the day with them / doing hobbies being a massive plus.
  • Options
    Crikey
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    The whole point about being Progressive is that you should never be happy. Happy is sinful.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    My strategic popcorn reserve suddenly seems insufficient.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:
    The whole point about being Progressive is that you should never be happy. Happy is sinful.
    Correct. You should spend your days mournfully reflecting on your privilege.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If party figures are permitted to go around saying the PM's attempted deal is a sell out and a shambles I don't see what the big deal is if someone senior says no deal is bad (even though I believe the official position is 'deal is better than no deal, though we would survive a no deal')
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    RobD said:

My strategic popcorn reserve suddenly seems insufficient.

It turns out that the last two years of global politics have all been part of a marketing plan for this popcorn business from Texas.

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1032501198983581696
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    If party figures are permitted to go around saying the PM's attempted deal is a sell out and a shambles I don't see what the big deal is if someone senior says no deal is bad (even though I believe the official position is 'deal is better than no deal, though we would survive a no deal')
    Agree
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:
    Correct. You should spend your days mournfully reflecting on your privilege.
    Puritans, at least were prepared to accept that sinners could repent.

For Progressives, your privilege damns you for all eternity. There is no possibility of redemption.
  • Options
    Ryanair will no longer let passengers take a small suitcase on its planes for free, with charges for a 10kg case to be introduced in November

Is this the end to even free carry on across the industry? In addition to the cost, the best thing about carry on is speed of departure when you get to the other end.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Ryanair will no longer let passengers take a small suitcase on its planes for free, with charges for a 10kg case to be introduced in November

Is this the end to even free carry on across the industry? In addition to the cost, the best thing about carry on is speed of departure when you get to the other end.

I'd like to think it was the end of Ryanair.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You mean methane trapped as ice? That's the power source of the future, that is.
    Yes - that is what I mean. Methane barely trapped as "ice" which releases the methane in vast quantities at the slightest disturbance or increase in temperature.

Clathrates are believed to be the cause of the Permain / Triassic exteinction event which wiped out 96% of species.

And we are proposing to mine them..... you might as well tell humanity "Here is some petrol and matches, now go play on the motorway...."
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    edb said:

You saying large legal fees are a bad thing? Asking for a friend.
This discussion has been closed.