Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Corbyn’s LAB can make progress in Scotland there are some e

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Journalists are going through the Brexit papers picking out anything which sounds bad for UK consumers, and ignoring everything else. Nice politics from Mrs May for once - getting the media to do her pro-Chequers campaigning for her.

The key to getting a deal through has always been to make No Deal sound as bad as possible. Sounds like May has finally caught on.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2018

Hey, this is a biggie which the journalists don't seem to have noticed:

This will apply both to imports from the EU and non-EU countries.

Do I understand this correctly - this removes a competitive advantage the EU currently enjoys for a UK firm over trading with the rest of the world?
    Yes, but even more surprisingly they've gone for the route of not asking for the VAT up front in both imports from the EU and imports from elsewhere. That's a surprise, the default would have been to charge the VAT upfront in both cases, as we currently do for imports from outside the EU.
    Which by implication removes the need for IPR (Inward Processing Relief) for those of us that use it a lot, thereby reducing red tape all round.

What's not to like?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    The government says this has been issued prematurely.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Anazina said:

So the Sunday Herald has been replaced by the, erm, Herald on Sunday?

Do your own People's Front of Judea-related jokes.
    splitters
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,926

Journalists are going through the Brexit papers picking out anything which sounds bad for UK consumers, and ignoring everything else. Nice politics from Mrs May for once - getting the media to do her pro-Chequers campaigning for her.

Exactly as we all predicted they would do.

Financial services passporting looks like the biggest area of disruption identified so far, there would be a massive and immediate effect on the EU if they fail to address it, especially insurance.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Are there any remaining British manufacturers, or are we re-exporting?

Though this tweet by the same fellow is topical:

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1032536139079589888?s=19
    Oh dear that old misapprehension about British manufacturing perpetuated by trade unions and lefties. Manufacturing is still massive in this country, it is just we don't build that many British Leyland Maestros anymore, (not that many people overseas bought them anyway, for obvious reasons). Our manufacturing base is based on high quality/high tech: Info here: https://www.themanufacturer.com/uk-manufacturing-statistics/
    Doesn't the UK manufacture more cars now than ever before?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, it is something of an anti climax.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Are there any remaining British manufacturers, or are we re-exporting?

Though this tweet by the same fellow is topical:

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1032536139079589888?s=19
    Oh dear that old misapprehension about British manufacturing perpetuated by trade unions and lefties. Manufacturing is still massive in this country, it is just we don't build that many British Leyland Maestros anymore, (not that many people overseas bought them anyway, for obvious reasons). Our manufacturing base is based on high quality/high tech: Info here: https://www.themanufacturer.com/uk-manufacturing-statistics/
    Doesn't the UK manufacture more cars now than ever before?
    I believe that is true, though they are cars that people want to buy rather than the British Leyland variety. Nationalists of the lefty variety don't like them though because the companies tend to be owned by damn furriners rather than making losses for the British tax payer
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    Anazina said:

The key to getting a deal through has always been to make No Deal sound as bad as possible. Sounds like May has finally caught on.
    It also shows what I have been saying for a while. No deal Brexit actually requires quite a lot of smaller, technical deals to make it work.

I was also quite pleased to note that the government is also finally picking up on the idea that we can simply do a lot of things unilaterally without a deal at all. Whilst not optimal we can reduce the inconvenience caused this way, even if we cannot eliminate it.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Do I understand this correctly - this removes a competitive advantage the EU currently enjoys for a UK firm over trading with the rest of the world?
    Yes, but even more surprisingly they've gone for the route of not asking for the VAT up front in both imports from the EU and imports from elsewhere. That's a surprise, the default would have been to charge the VAT upfront in both cases, as we currently do for imports from outside the EU.
    Which by implication removes the need for IPR (Inward Processing Relief) for those of us that use it a lot, thereby reducing red tape all round.

What's not to like?
    This will be a bonanza for the criminals. If you export the goods you claim back VAT. If however you never paid the VAT originally you have a money tree

• Options
    DavidL said:

Anazina said:

It also shows what I have been saying for a while. No deal Brexit actually requires quite a lot of smaller, technical deals to make it work.

I was also quite pleased to note that the government is also finally picking up on the idea that we can simply do a lot of things unilaterally without a deal at all. Whilst not optimal we can reduce the inconvenience caused this way, even if we cannot eliminate it.
    "Please do what I say or I will hurt myself even more". Very dignified.
  • Options

welshowl said:

What's not to like?
    This will be a bonanza for the criminals. If you export the goods you claim back VAT. If however you never paid the VAT originally you have a money tree

As I said downthread, another turn around the carousel.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

Did it come too early?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

Come, gentleman, please
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

What's not to like?

Take your point. There would have to be checks (as there are now), but at least there's a presuppostion to reduce the admin - which is no bad thing.
  • Options
    It looks like we achieved that at the same time Mr Sandpit
  • Options

DavidL said:

Anazina said:

Not really. More this is going to hurt both of us but we are ready to deal with it in the following ways, how are you doing?

Of course it would have been a lot more persuasive 18 months ago. It might even have persuaded the EU to negotiate in good faith about these matters, who knows? Unfortunately we had a lazy, thick buffoon in charge at that point who didn't seem to want to make the effort in case it undermined his "easiest deal in history" rhetoric.
  • Options

Near enough, but I’m sure I came first.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    Sweden, YouGov poll:

SD-ECR: 24% (-2)
    S-S&D: 22% (+1)
    M-EPP: 16%
    V-LEFT: 9% (-1)
    C-ALDE: 8% (-1)
    L-ALDE: 5%
    MP-G/EFA: 5% (+1)
    KD-EPP: 4%
    Fi-S&D: 2% (+1)

Field work: 17/08/18 – 20/08/18
    Sample size: 1,526
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Exactly as we all predicted they would do.

Financial services passporting looks like the biggest area of disruption identified so far, there would be a massive and immediate effect on the EU if they fail to address it, especially insurance.
    I'm now rather hopeful again on passporting for the City. Perhaps I am being premature with my optimism, but Raab raising it bodes well.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Anazina said:

Not really. More this is going to hurt both of us but we are ready to deal with it in the following ways, how are you doing?

Of course it would have been a lot more persuasive 18 months ago. It might even have persuaded the EU to negotiate in good faith about these matters, who knows? Unfortunately we had a lazy, thick buffoon in charge at that point who didn't seem to want to make the effort in case it undermined his "easiest deal in history" rhetoric.
    I find it hard to disagree with the gist of the second part of your post. I think that like it or not, the EU negotiators know it is going to hurt us a lot more than it will hurt them as a collective. They therefore know we will blink first. Although I wish it were not so, The only thing that will really get the EU27s attention will be if we threaten to withhold the payments. It will bring further international shame on us, but it will probably work.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    DavidL said:

On topic Scotland has swung wildly from endless safe Labour seats to a remarkable number of genuinely marginal seats, most of which are still SNP held. In 2015 their vote was remarkably uniform across the country giving them all the rewards of FPTP. By 2017 the Tories peeled off enough votes in the borders and the north east to have some success but Labour made relatively little progress.

Can Labour do better? The volatility of Scottish politics in recent years makes any predictions brave but it has to be possible. What was very noticeable in 2017 was how the Scottish election detached itself from the UK one. Ruth Davidson and Kezia Dugdale played far more prominent roles than May or Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon played a prominent national role without even standing. This suggests to me that Richard Leonard is going to be very important in any revival. That looks somewhat problematical to me. On the rare occasion I have heard him he has sounded reasonably articulate but he is not putting himself about nearly enough to have an impact.

As I said predictions are foolish but at the moment I would be inclined to bet on fewer seats rather than more for Labour in Scotland next time out.

I agree - having been relatively successful in 2017, they are likely to follow the same plan - indeed, David Mundell has stated that the for next Holyrood election, the SCons will campaign on a "vote for us or face Indyref2" basis.

Also, a factor not usually mentioned is where the Scottish Greens, and to a lesser extent UKIP voters, peel off to - their Westminster vote share is likely to be a bit under 1% - half or a third of what the polls suggest.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It was @IanB2 who planted the seed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

My wife always tells me that is nothing to be proud of
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    Sandpit said:

*starts speed reading*

Interesting there’s nothing on aviation in this one. Maybe we’ll get that next week.
    They are at least recognizing the possibility of an imported sperm shortage.....
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Sandpit said:

*starts speed reading*

Interesting there’s nothing on aviation in this one. Maybe we’ll get that next week.
    They are at least recognizing the possibility of an imported sperm shortage.....
    Bloody furriners, coming over here and stealing all our eggs
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    The one change Jezza should actually make, I don't think has been mentioned.

Ban political advertising on social media, as it is on broadcast commercial TV.

Be difficult, but worth attempting.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Why would he do that? It would cut off one of his main sources of direct contact with 'his people'
  • Options

Why would he do that? It would cut off one of his main sources of direct contact with 'his people'
    And actually the damage is done not by advertising per se - it is the shared content that is the real poison in the system. And that is uncontrollable
  • Options

So, why is he so bothered about old media, which is in decline, thanks to the destruction of the advertising model, especially local press?

The lack of scrutiny of local councils, police, NHS and courts these days thanks to collapse of local papers is terrible for our democracy.

If he stopped bleating on about fake news and revived local media perhaps by some kind of public funding then we might actually be getting somewhere.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    edited August 2018

If the UK leaves the EU without an agreement, the government will introduce postponed accounting for import VAT on goods brought into the UK. This means that UK VAT registered businesses importing goods to the UK will be able to account for import VAT on their VAT return, rather than paying import VAT on or soon after the time that the goods arrive at the UK border. This will apply both to imports from the EU and non-EU countries.

In reaching this decision, the government has taken account of the views of businesses and sought to mitigate any adverse cash-flow impacts keeping VAT processes as close as possible to what they are now. To ensure equity of treatment, in a no deal scenario, businesses importing goods will be able to account for their import VAT from non-EU countries in the same way, which will help UK businesses make the most of trading opportunities around the world.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

That is a biggie.

I think we talked about this before (I remember the incident because I momentarily forgot that 5% was the rate just for antiques).
  • Options

Why would he want to do that when he has got Putin's bot factories to help him at the next election as he did at the last one?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

sarissa said:

Sandpit said:

*starts speed reading*

Fortunately this is one area where self-sufficiency seems achievable.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

sarissa said:

Sandpit said:

*starts speed reading*

They thought that in Norfolk and look what happened there...
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Why would he want to do that when he has got Putin's bot factories to help him at the next election as he did at the last one?
    Perhaps in the name of fairness. But that has never been a characteristic of the Labour Party up until now.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Perhaps in the name of fairness. But that has never been a characteristic of the Labour Party up until now.
    Speaking of fairness, and having previously skimmed the previous thread, does anyone know Corbyn's view on electoral reform?
  • Options

So, why is he so bothered about old media, which is in decline, thanks to the destruction of the advertising model, especially local press?

The lack of scrutiny of local councils, police, NHS and courts these days thanks to collapse of local papers is terrible for our democracy.

If he stopped bleating on about fake news and revived local media perhaps by some kind of public funding then we might actually be getting somewhere.
    Local media has been in long term decline. Only very, very occasionally do they find stories that actually count as news. The rest is regurgitated press releases and trivia.

There is nothing to be done to revive anything like the sort of local coverage that you describe. We certainly do not want anything like a state-funded series of local papers. That would just set up local propaganda sheets under the control of political appointees under the pretence of 'democracy'

We have to remember that for all of Corbyn's talk of democracy, he and his crew are only interested in letting the 'right sort' of candidates to stand a chance. It is about control not freedom.
  • Options

PClipp said:

Speaking of fairness, and having previously skimmed the previous thread, does anyone know Corbyn's view on electoral reform?
    I bet you he abstains on the boundary review. Deselections ‘R’ Us.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056

Sandpit said:

My wife always tells me that is nothing to be proud of
    Obligatory response:
    She tells me that too.

:)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

PClipp said:

Whatever Corbyn's view, Milne and McDonnell will no doubt persuade him that it shouldn't be touched with a barge-pole.

The only thing keeping a sizable number of Labour MPs from defecting is FPTP.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    "US President Donald Trump has responded to speculation that he might be impeached by warning that any such move would damage the economy."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45285585
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited August 2018

PClipp said:

Here's a 42 second video from 2015:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMBRUyTjaE

Elected House of Lords (probably PR), and some kind of top-up list/AV+ system that maintains the constituency link.

Edit - oops wrong video, stupid auto-play.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good afternoon, comrades.

Terrorist attack. Two dead. It's apparently the ninth top story on the BBC website, behind Dec getting a new televisual partner on I'm A Celebrity.

A week or two ago some ex-rozzer was on Newsnight prognosticating about the rise of the far right (in a terrorist sense). A few weeks before that the BBC was wibbling about the rise in fake news (before omitting to mention on the main broadcast news a 31-strong rape gang being sent down in Huddersfield).

Staggering to think why faith in the media might be a little on the wane.

Anyway, if anyone wants something utterly left field to enjoy/suffer, I wrote a short blog about the 1948 Curta mechanical calculator (actually conceived in 1938, but as the designer was an Austrian son of a Jewish father who ended up in a concentration camp production was rather delayed): http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-curta-mechanical-calculator.html
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,222
    Siri, show me an example of monomania.

https://twitter.com/mstewart_23/status/1032630462714441728

• Options

Terrorist attack. Two dead. It's apparently the ninth top story on the BBC website, behind Dec getting a new televisual partner on I'm A Celebrity.

A week or two ago some ex-rozzer was on Newsnight prognosticating about the rise of the far right (in a terrorist sense). A few weeks before that the BBC was wibbling about the rise in fake news (before omitting to mention on the main broadcast news a 31-strong rape gang being sent down in Huddersfield).

Staggering to think why faith in the media might be a little on the wane.

Anyway, if anyone wants something utterly left field to enjoy/suffer, I wrote a short blog about the 1948 Curta mechanical calculator (actually conceived in 1938, but as the designer was an Austrian son of a Jewish father who ended up in a concentration camp production was rather delayed): http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-curta-mechanical-calculator.html

I see you are peddling your own fake news.

The events in Huddersfield, no one has been sent down. They were charged and awaiting trial.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I stand corrected. On that narrow point. You'll have to forgive me for being less well-informed than I'd like, I had to get the news from the internet because the state broadcaster didn't bother providing it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

This would be the mentally disturbed guy who killed his mother and sister in France? Not obviously a terrorist attack.
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, the chap who reportedly shouted "Allahu Akbar". Yeah, that guy.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    RoyalBlue said:

sarissa said:

Sandpit said:

*starts speed reading*

I hope you’re not suggesting that Leavers are grade A wankers?
  • Options
    Brilliant.

"If they got rid of me then everyone would be very poor."

The reporter then allows him to completely go off on a tangent and talk about trade with China (her involvement in this 'interview' being statistically zero).
  • Options

"US President Donald Trump has responded to speculation that he might be impeached by warning that any such move would damage the economy."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45285585

Realpolitik
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

That’s like the friend who was running late for an interview and had a massive row with someone in the office car park over the last available space. You can guess the rest.

I had the opposite experience. Went for a job at a start-up and bumped into this young guy with a massive green mohawk scuffy clothes outside, presumed he was also there for the job and we had a nice chat for 10-15 mins.

Half an hour later, the HR lady took me through to be introduced to the owner of the company, mr green mohawk. Suffice to say I got the job.
    I once fell asleep in the interview process. The IT project had run into deep trouble and the CEO asked me to go to a project team meeting to understand the position. The (departing) project leader was incredibly bureaucratic and we spent four hours discussing trivia - was the issue on column headers raised under point 5 or point 6? I'd had a late night the day before and I dozed off twice.

Next day, the CEO invited me to discuss it, and said "You didn't seem very interested, frankly." Nothing to lose, I thought, so I said irritably, "Do you want someone to fix your project or do you want someone who likes long meetings?"

I got the job.
    I started my career in pressing random keys on computers and seeing what worked through a graduate entry programme for the IT department of a large county council in the south of England. This being back in the day before every university and college down to and including the University of Bolton churned out thousands of CompSci graduates every year, the council was willing to consider candidates of any degree background and there was a full-day assessment to get in. One of the other candidates really stood out: confident, personable, well qualified (he had a master's in IT). A bit full of himself but whatevs. I chatted with him at the station afterwards while waiting for my train back to the Grim North. As his train to that London came in I wished him luck, and he replied "I won't wish you luck. I really need a job and haven't been able to get one." "Knob" I thought to myself but I let it go.

Somewhat to my surprise I got on the programme, and Mr Knob didn't. I had a chance to talk to one of the selectors not long after I started and I mentioned that I thought Mr Knob would have been a shoe-in. "Oh yes, him." came the reply. "After lunch, he was in the gents and was saying to one of the other candidates something along the lines of how we're a noddy outfit and as soon as he'd done a couple of years here he'd be off to the private sector. What he didn't know was that [one of the IT dept's senior managers] was there as well and immediately after went to tell us not to select him!"
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Brilliant.

"If they got rid of me then everyone would be very poor."

The reporter then allows him to completely go off on a tangent and talk about trade with China (her involvement in this 'interview' being statistically zero).
    Apres moi le deluge
This discussion has been closed.