Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Corbyn’s LAB can make progress in Scotland there are some e

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

Scottish Subsample Klaxon

Con: 31
    Lab: 17
    SNP: 42
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The public is getting bored of Brexit. Perhaps we need a general election to renew their interest?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    LDs up 2% on general election there, Tories down 2%, Labour down 3%
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Sandpit said:

[snip]

By contrast, in the absence of action from the EU, EEA-based customers of UK firms currently passporting into the EEA, including UK citizens living in the EEA, may lose the ability to access existing lending and deposit services, insurance contracts (such as a life insurance contracts and annuities) due to UK firms losing their rights to passport into the EEA, affecting the ability of their EEA customers to continue accessing their services.
    [snip]

Ah, that makes sense. It's not primarily about British expats, it's about any EEA citizen who is a customer of a UK financial institution.

They might lose access to their pensions. What a shame that would be.

I mean - seriously: is it even remotely conceivable that the EU is going to be so daft as to let this happen to their own citizens, not to mention losing out on countless billions of our budget contributions?

There will be a deal, because there absolutely has to be a deal.
    EEA citizen, or EEA resident?
    Anyone resident in an EU/EEA country other than the UK, and who is a customer of a UK financial institution.
    So Spanish pensioners with a UK annuity? But presumably (provided you've kept one) easy enough to get the money transferred into a UK bank account then shipped overseas (but it might take a day or two longer)?
    I think you're meant to:

a) panic.
    b) do nothing until you starve to death.

Or alternatively, back Mrs May's glorious Chequers plan.
  • Options

I'm writing a thread about Scottish polling and sub samples.

I suspect it will enrage a few people.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Foxy said:

Yer granda's been trying to get down with the kids again. Almost vying with Tory social media strategy in its fuckwittery.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1032555210152062976

Yes, but Jezza is not alone in becoming suspicious of the activities of Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. The interest in social media, and unwillingness of us punters to pay for it, means that the company needs to utilise our data in the service of capitalism. Some of us are less comfortable with that than others, but there is some appeal to an advert free national digital service that could be safely regulated for the protection of youngsters etc.

It is a raw idea, but not a foolish one.
    He also talked about updating the license fee for the digital age, a windfall tax on digital monopolies, having the taxpayer elect a representative to the board of the BBC, granting charitable status for not-for-profit journalism outlets, creating an independent public service journalism fund and for the BBC to regularly produce internal reports on its operations for greater transparency.

I'd quibble over details (and I don't see much point and do see some danger in a taxpayer representative on the BBC board) - but I think the trend of thinking here is right, our tax and legal framework needs to match up to the digital age.

I initially thought the govt facebook idea was bonkers.
    But on reflection, a secure social media platform might not be daft at all and as JC says, he's only looking to generate some thinking on the topic.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Worst government since Pol Pot decided to focus on agriculture and the opposition trail by 3 points. And *still* the far left claim they're moving in the right (ha!) direction.
    Still doing 4 times as well as the soft left.
    Yes, that's the measure to get into government. "We're not going to win but we are better than them."

A moderate Labour party would (IMHO) take 6-8% off the Tories and 1-2% off the LD. They'd lose 2-3% to the Greens and communists but wouldn't give a shit because (a) those people are all arseholes and (b) landslide.
    The question is whether being soft left would be an electoral asset or a liability. If there's this huge set of adrift, homeless soft left remain voters, why aren't they going to the LDs? And why is it that when they're polled about things like rail renationalisation they lie and say they're in favour?
  • Options

Asking for a friend.

With Corbyn talking elected editors, would this proposal extend to editors of blogs?

I’m afraid being on the Enemy of the Workers list (maintained by the British Digital Corporation) will spoil your chances.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    John_M said:

Anorak said:
    That moment you realise that being a broad church has more advantages than you initially thought. My heart goes out to poor Owen.
    Any man who has campaigned for years on LGBT rights (like Owen has) but defends Corbyn over multiple friendships to people who would murder him for being gay deserves not a shred of pity. He's morphed into a seriously unpleasant individual.

And I used to - believe or not - quite like him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    Anazina said:

People are way too credulous about the efficacy of pop up ads – the smirking about the Russian brides ads or Sean's cougars being a case in point. The Russian bride PBer need not have searched for Russian brides for this thing to appear. His wife could have been searching mother-of-the-bride wedding outfits, anything. These pop up engines are extremely blunt – often near useless – instruments. I got ads the other day for new bathrooms. I haven't searched for bathroom-ware for years – there is often neither rhyme nor reason for the ads popping up.

Indeed, such ads are often very poorly targeted, I remember getting Islamic bride adverts after browsing an Islamophobic site. The algorithm s are no where near as sophisticated as the agencies claim. I suppose that advertisers have always been economical with the truth, including with their customers in the media.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Right to leave: 41
    Wrong to leave: 47
    I'm not a fan of polls but – out of interest – what is the record lead for 'Wrong to Leave'?
    The record is 7. There was one poll that reached 40/47.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/dt6w2at8q0/YG Trackers - EU Tracker Questions_W.pdf
    Still below the 48% for Remain at the referendum
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Asking for a friend.

With Corbyn talking elected editors, would this proposal extend to editors of blogs?

I’m afraid being on the Enemy of the Workers list (maintained by the British Digital Corporation) will spoil your chances.
    I suppose I could try and persuade them that I'm a working class Northerner and a minority too.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

Asking for a friend.

Using AV?
  • Options

More C2DEs still back Right to Leave over Wrong to Leave even on that poll as do 72% of Tories
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

I'm not a fan of polls but – out of interest – what is the record lead for 'Wrong to Leave'?

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/dt6w2at8q0/YG Trackers - EU Tracker Questions_W.pdf
    Uhhh... you understand that the referendum totals didn't include "Don't know", right?
  • Options

I quite like this pre-Troll thing of yours. Gets people in the right mindset to go properly beserk.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Assuming the others DNV, that makes 54% Remain.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Anazina said:

People are way too credulous about the efficacy of pop up ads – the smirking about the Russian brides ads or Sean's cougars being a case in point. The Russian bride PBer need not have searched for Russian brides for this thing to appear. His wife could have been searching mother-of-the-bride wedding outfits, anything. These pop up engines are extremely blunt – often near useless – instruments. I got ads the other day for new bathrooms. I haven't searched for bathroom-ware for years – there is often neither rhyme nor reason for the ads popping up.

Some are impressively targeted, holidays, for example. They do have a good idea of the kinds of places I like to stay at.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Uhhh... you understand that the referendum totals didn't include "Don't know", right?
    Don't Know swung to Leave at the referendum and there were plenty of 'silent' Leavers too hence most final polls had Remain ahead but Leave got 52%
  • Options
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/submitting-regulatory-information-on-medical-products-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/submitting-regulatory-information-on-medical-products-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Just read the guidance from the Government on medical devices my area of expertise. This is a recipe for disaster. We need to submit parallel documents to an agency with no guidance on how they will look at them to sell or modify a device we presently sell. There is no guidance on if we can continue to sell without approval and if we do supply what our legal position is.

If I supply a device in UK post hard Brexit and something goes wrong I can be held criminally responsible as it is no longer a registered device. Will I supply devices to the UK? I think under this scenario I will stop supplying.

• Options
    Anorak said:

I quite like this pre-Troll thing of yours. Gets people in the right mindset to go properly beserk.
    Wait until they see my thread comparing the Leavers to the Appeasers, contains this little gem too.

Not since the Cambridge Five have Russian interests been advanced by some Brits who think they are patriots acting for a greater good, it won't be long until Boris and others are awarded the Order of Lenin, if they haven't already.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Some are impressively targeted, holidays, for example. They do have a good idea of the kinds of places I like to stay at.
    Another specific kind of targeting they do is for websites you've already visited but didn't make a purchase. Sometimes even for the exact products you were looking at.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

Talking about making yourself look like the end of a bell on Social Media.

ttps://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1032247607198998528

That’s like the friend who was running late for an interview and had a massive row with someone in the office car park over the last available space. You can guess the rest.
    I had the opposite experience. Went for a job at a start-up and bumped into this young guy with a massive green mohawk scuffy clothes outside, presumed he was also there for the job and we had a nice chat for 10-15 mins.

Half an hour later, the HR lady took me through to be introduced to the owner of the company, mr green mohawk. Suffice to say I got the job.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Worst government since Pol Pot decided to focus on agriculture and the opposition trail by 3 points. And *still* the far left claim they're moving in the right (ha!) direction.
    Still doing 4 times as well as the soft left.
    Yes, that's the measure to get into government. "We're not going to win but we are better than them."

A moderate Labour party would (IMHO) take 6-8% off the Tories and 1-2% off the LD. They'd lose 2-3% to the Greens and communists but wouldn't give a shit because (a) those people are all arseholes and (b) landslide.
    The question is whether being soft left would be an electoral asset or a liability. If there's this huge set of adrift, homeless soft left remain voters, why aren't they going to the LDs? And why is it that when they're polled about things like rail renationalisation they lie and say they're in favour?
    The LDs remain a busted flush after the coalition. Just not cool any more.

Brexit and Corbyn have tribalised people to an unbelievable extent. Moving to LD is seen as letting in the Tories and a hard Brexit from a Labour perspective, and as letting in a lunatic intent on a New Venezuela from a Tory perspective.

Rail is a funny one, and the stream of stories on franchise incompetence combined with a low-profile RMT has made it a more mainstream opinion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Don't Know swung to Leave at the referendum and there were plenty of 'silent' Leavers too hence most final polls had Remain ahead but Leave got 52%
    Are you just free-associating now? You could have just said "Oh, right, it doesn't really make sense to compare those two numbers" and moved on
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

More C2DEs still back Right to Leave over Wrong to Leave even on that poll as do 72% of Tories
    What is the particular significance of that demographic when every vote is equal? Just a meaningless comfort-blanket stat again HYUFD?
  • Options

[snip]

By contrast, in the absence of action from the EU, EEA-based customers of UK firms currently passporting into the EEA, including UK citizens living in the EEA, may lose the ability to access existing lending and deposit services, insurance contracts (such as a life insurance contracts and annuities) due to UK firms losing their rights to passport into the EEA, affecting the ability of their EEA customers to continue accessing their services.
    [snip]

Ah, that makes sense. It's not primarily about British expats, it's about any EEA citizen who is a customer of a UK financial institution.

I mean - seriously: is it even remotely conceivable that the EU is going to be so daft as to let this happen to their own citizens, not to mention losing out on countless billions of our budget contributions?

By expats you mean immigrants?
    What do other countries call their people that leave to live abroad?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

The only person in the U.K. not yet using an adblocker?
    Many moons ago someone, late of this parish, upbraided OGH for his site hosting ads for Russian Internet Brides, which he thought was entirely inappropriate......after someone pointed out it was based on his own browsing history he was never heard from again....
    I got an advert for Cougars seeking younger men.
    The Keighley rugby league team on the look out for new players?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

Anorak said:

Wait until they see my thread comparing the Leavers to the Appeasers, contains this little gem too.

Not since the Cambridge Five have Russian interests been advanced by some Brits who think they are patriots acting for a greater good, it won't be long until Boris and others are awarded the Order of Lenin, if they haven't already.
    I'd want rather more than that.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Indeed, such ads are often very poorly targeted, I remember getting Islamic bride adverts after browsing an Islamophobic site. The algorithm s are no where near as sophisticated as the agencies claim. I suppose that advertisers have always been economical with the truth, including with their customers in the media.
    These are the same companies that proclaim radically brilliant new advances in AI, yet seem unable to use any of that tech to make their core business better.

However AIUI there is another issue: availability of ads. If you are running a gaming website, or a fashion blog, or an film feed, then there will be lots of people wanting to 'sell' adverts on your site for Google/whoever to place.

If you concentrate on a more niche area (e.g. walking), then finding relevant ads amongst the sellers is harder, and they'll choose something fitting the viewer's profile rather than the site itself.
  • Options

I thought mentioning – erm – Caledonian Micro Cross-sections was a banning offence, hence you will need to ban yourself??
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Retirement homes presumably?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

So Spanish pensioners with a UK annuity? But presumably (provided you've kept one) easy enough to get the money transferred into a UK bank account then shipped overseas (but it might take a day or two longer)?

It's not just expats. For example, a Frenchman might have bought a life-insurance policy from the French branch of a UK company, with the UK company being the formal party to the contract under exisiting passporting arrangements. The poor chap pegs it on Brexit Day + 1. The company is no longer legally authorised to conduct insurance business in France. What happens then?

As I understand it, the UK financial sector is tearing its hair out because the EU doesn't seem to have engaged with this sort of issue. Contrary to what you read in the UK media, it's not just the UK which is unprepared for a no-deal Brexit. In fact the UK is probably better prepared, and (as I posted upthread) is in a better position to plug the gaps quickly if it comes to it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Anazina said:

I thought mentioning – erm – Caledonian Micro Cross-sections was a banning offence, hence you will need to ban yourself??
    I noted the Scottish subsamples heading into the 2015 GE but distinctly remember being told they're useless.

Actually, they're not.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Indeed Tommy Robinson is probably buried under ads from burkabrides.com whereas Seamus Milne is wooed daily by kosher restaurants.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Indeed Tommy Robinson is probably buried under ads from burkabrides.com whereas Seamus Milne is wooed daily by kosher restaurants.
    Even though I've got adblock turned off on this site I don't actually have any adverts being shown to me right now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

I noted the Scottish subsamples heading into the 2015 GE but distinctly remember being told they're useless.

Actually, they're not.
    They were useless at GE2010 and GE2017.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

[snip]

[snip]

Presumably, 'emigrants'.

I've been an ex-pat, which I always self-defined as 'working my contract, then back to dear old Blighty'. Perhaps I should have striven to be right-on and called myself an economic migrant or gastarbeiter. I love this country far too much to ever emigrate permanently.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Anorak said:

Given what we know of Russian collusion and interference in American elections, it baffles me why there has been no serious investigation of Russian activity here, whether in regard to Brexit, Corbynism or even pb. How can we be sure the online polls are not filled in by Muscovites with VPNs? The ones not filled in by political activists boosting their own parties, at least.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Even though I've got adblock turned off on this site I don't actually have any adverts being shown to me right now.
    Custom art prints for me.

Yesterday I searched for custom cut steel for a DIY project.

QED.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

I don’t think they’re making new Heroes of the Soviet Union anymore.

I’d settle for a house on the Crimean Riviera.
  • Options
    John_M said:

[snip]

[snip]

Presumably, 'emigrants'.

I've been an ex-pat, which I always self-defined as 'working my contract, then back to dear old Blighty'. Perhaps I should have striven to be right-on and called myself an economic migrant or gastarbeiter. I love this country far too much to ever emigrate permanently.
    I think it would be strange if we (people living in Britain) called British people living in Spain "immigrants" wouldn't it? The Spanish are entitled to, but that is surely different
  • Options

A knifeman has stabbed two people to death and injured another on a street in a Paris suburb before reportedly being killed by police.

Officers shot the suspected attacker after he allegedly threatened to kill them, shouting "Allahu Akbar" ("God is greatest" in Arabic).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45281902

Turns out he was mentally disturbed and killed his own mother and sister (from your link). ISIL claimed responsibility which is more evidence it routinely claims responsibility for any attack.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

Sandpit said:

That’s like the friend who was running late for an interview and had a massive row with someone in the office car park over the last available space. You can guess the rest.
    I had the opposite experience. Went for a job at a start-up and bumped into this young guy with a massive green mohawk scuffy clothes outside, presumed he was also there for the job and we had a nice chat for 10-15 mins.

Half an hour later, the HR lady took me through to be introduced to the owner of the company, mr green mohawk. Suffice to say I got the job.
    Ha, very good. My friend, she didn’t get the job!
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    'Hobbs of London' for me. This site knows all my guilty secrets ;).
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Actually, they're not.
    They were useless at GE2010 and GE2017.
    At GE2017 Scottish subsamples averaged out as a whole were in line with full Scotland polls.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    Harry's razors for me.

I think my webcam must be on, and they've decided I'm a scruffy goit.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    Harry's razors for me.

Caravan parks in Devon for me.

Note to self: must get a life.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    Harry's razors for me.

At home I get an advert for a specific painting, I actually briefly had it in my basket (Artfinder.com) - my other half reckons the nose isn't painted correctly though so we decided against it ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Scott_P said:
    Although it wouldn't exactly be a good day at the office for Eurocrats either.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    That's alright then.

FFS.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    It looks as if May's lead in the low teens, which was the standard from late March through to Chequers, has re-established itself.

Corbyn's 23 is the second-lowest share he's had since the 2017 general election. The lowest was the previous poll.
  • Options
    welshowl said:
    I always more interested in this in terms of visa provision - particularly in specialised areas where we have a skills shortfall. Once you start down this road of endless sub-classifications, you get into terrible muddles.

For example, taking the first entry in the UK SOC (Shortage Occupation List), 'Production managers and directors in mining and energy (1123)'. We will let you in if you have one of these three job titles and are skilled in nuclear decommissioning and waste management.

'Managing Director'
    'Programme Director'
    'Site Director'

If your job title is at variance to that (say, 'Senior Director of Programs'), tough shit for you, buddy.
  • Options
    welshowl said:
    Yes, these codes are regularly needed for intrastat anyway. What's the point ?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Anorak said:

I couldn't agree more. I have long been incredulous that the British electorate has become so unsophisticated and/or unpatriotic that they can happily endorse the foreign policy agenda of a hostile foreign power
  • Options
    John_M said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    As in the ladieswear company?
  • Options
    Hey, this is a biggie which the journalists don't seem to have noticed:

If the UK leaves the EU without an agreement, the government will introduce postponed accounting for import VAT on goods brought into the UK. This means that UK VAT registered businesses importing goods to the UK will be able to account for import VAT on their VAT return, rather than paying import VAT on or soon after the time that the goods arrive at the UK border. This will apply both to imports from the EU and non-EU countries.

In reaching this decision, the government has taken account of the views of businesses and sought to mitigate any adverse cash-flow impacts keeping VAT processes as close as possible to what they are now. To ensure equity of treatment, in a no deal scenario, businesses importing goods will be able to account for their import VAT from non-EU countries in the same way, which will help UK businesses make the most of trading opportunities around the world.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Are there any remaining British manufacturers, or are we re-exporting?

Though this tweet by the same fellow is topical:

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1032536139079589888?s=19
  • Options
    Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

I once fell asleep in the interview process. The IT project had run into deep trouble and the CEO asked me to go to a project team meeting to understand the position. The (departing) project leader was incredibly bureaucratic and we spent four hours discussing trivia - was the issue on column headers raised under point 5 or point 6? I'd had a late night the day before and I dozed off twice.

Next day, the CEO invited me to discuss it, and said "You didn't seem very interested, frankly." Nothing to lose, I thought, so I said irritably, "Do you want someone to fix your project or do you want someone who likes long meetings?"

I got the job.
  • Options
  • Options

This will apply both to imports from the EU and non-EU countries.

Do I understand this correctly - this removes a competitive advantage the EU currently enjoys for a UK firm over trading with the rest of the world?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Oh dear that old misapprehension about British manufacturing perpetuated by trade unions and lefties. Manufacturing is still massive in this country, it is just we don't build that many British Leyland Maestros anymore, (not that many people overseas bought them anyway, for obvious reasons). Our manufacturing base is based on high quality/high tech: Info here: https://www.themanufacturer.com/uk-manufacturing-statistics/
  • Options
    John_M said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    Indeed.
    Ah. Okay.
  • Options

Do I understand this correctly - this removes a competitive advantage the EU currently enjoys for a UK firm over trading with the rest of the world?
    Is that a new straw for you to clutch at in your new found enthusiasm for Project Self-Harm?
  • Options

Is that a new straw for you to clutch at in your new found enthusiasm for Project Self-Harm?
    It was a question of clarification. Sorry it upset you.
  • Options

Yes, but even more surprisingly they've gone for the route of not asking for the VAT up front in both imports from the EU and imports from elsewhere. That's a surprise, the default would have been to charge the VAT upfront in both cases, as we currently do for imports from outside the EU.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

Yes, but even more surprisingly they've gone for the route of not asking for the VAT up front in both imports from the EU and imports from elsewhere. That's a surprise, the default would have been to charge the VAT upfront in both cases, as we currently do for imports from outside the EU.
    Why do I feel another round of carousel cases coming on?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193

Is that a surprise? Surely they're just doing what causes the least disruption. How much revenue would the government lose from that decision?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    Harry's razors for me.

At home I get an advert for a specific painting, I actually briefly had it in my basket (Artfinder.com) - my other half reckons the nose isn't painted correctly though so we decided against it ;)
    Noses in portraits invariably look wrong to me. I think maybe it is the nostrils which may well be anatomically correct but in real life we tend not to notice these things.
  • Options

It certainly didn't upset me, it amused me. Brexit apologists jump at any piece of positive news about Brexit with the puppy-like enthusiasm of Comical Ali
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

QED.
    Harry's razors for me.

An investment paying 6% that I already have.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    edited August 2018
    This is a very dry document, I wouldn’t have liked to have been one of the journalists who was locked in a room with it for an hour this morning and told to make notes.

Most of the scenarios contain scope for a fair amount of unilateral pragmatism if it were to be required, for example as others have noted on import VAT.
  • Options
    I suspect almost all Tories agree with this.

https://twitter.com/HuffPostUKPol/status/1032609636933885953
  • Options

It certainly didn't upset me, it amused me. Brexit apologists jump at any piece of positive news about Brexit with the puppy-like enthusiasm of Comical Ali
    I suggest read the better informed replies below before making yourself look more foolish. Does name calling improve your low self-esteem?
  • Options

Does that also suggest we've given up on the idea of collecting EU tariffs, or are these not related?
  • Options

I certainly would agree. You have to admire their nerve though when they are advancing the possibility of one Mr J Corbyn as Prime Minister, the most absurd suggestion of an appointment since time began
  • Options

Clever politics - almost guarantees he stays in place......more's the pity.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

I don’t think they’re making new Heroes of the Soviet Union anymore.

I’d settle for a house on the Crimean Riviera.
    "You'll receive the Order of Lenin for this!" :)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Is that a surprise? Surely they're just doing what causes the least disruption. How much revenue would the government lose from that decision?

It must be quite a lot in cash-flow terms for the first 2 to 4 months - 20% of nearly all non-food imports.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited August 2018

I certainly would agree. You have to admire their nerve though when they are advancing the possibility of one Mr J Corbyn as Prime Minister, the most absurd suggestion of an appointment since time began
    Chris Grayling is costing the Tories so many seats in the North.

Go stand on any platform in Manchester Piccadilly, Leeds, or Bolton to name but three and you'll hear people regularly cursing his name.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Have you seen the Jam sketch about an agency offering stupid people for jobs that require someone who doesn’t understand when they’ve lost the argument?
  • Options

Does that also suggest we've given up on the idea of collecting EU tariffs, or are these not related?
    Not related, I think. In any case all this applies only if there's no deal. I don't know what the VAT arrangements are likely to be if there is a deal.
  • Options

I suggest read the better informed replies below before making yourself look more foolish. Does name calling improve your low self-esteem?
    Well that obviously got under your skin. No name calling, it is something I don't do. I have simply observed some of your posts that attempt to advance the line that Brexit is a good thing, in spite of the evidence to the contrary and that you previously held the opposite view (or did I misunderstand that?). Any chance of a further change in the wind direction?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Oh dear that old misapprehension about British manufacturing perpetuated by trade unions and lefties. Manufacturing is still massive in this country, it is just we don't build that many British Leyland Maestros anymore, (not that many people overseas bought them anyway, for obvious reasons). Our manufacturing base is based on high quality/high tech: Info here: https://www.themanufacturer.com/uk-manufacturing-statistics/
    I meant Grand pianos!

Are their any British makers?

Living in the Midlands I have noticed the odd factory here and there. I wondered what they were for, so very grateful for your expertise :)
  • Options
    Journalists are going through the Brexit papers picking out anything which sounds bad for UK consumers, and ignoring everything else. Nice politics from Mrs May for once - getting the media to do her pro-Chequers campaigning for her.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Pulpstar said:

welshowl said:
    Yes, these codes are regularly needed for intrastat anyway. What's the point ?
    Quite so. You identify what is relevant to your product(s) and keep using it again and again unless anything changes.

There's no mystery or big deal at all, unless your business has been confined to the 6% of the world living in the EU and not the other 94%.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

I meant Grand pianos!

Of course (but only upright, not grand I think):

http://www.broadwood.co.uk/

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    That's alright then.

FFS.
    You obviously know the square root of fuck all about negotiating.
  • Options
    So the Sunday Herald has been replaced by the, erm, Herald on Sunday?

Do your own People's Front of Judea-related jokes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

Whilst I would certainly agree with it this strikes me as a somewhat peculiar step. Is it not more traditional to have a vote of no confidence in a minister?

As @CarlottaVance notes, Mrs May is almost certain to keep him in office after this. That strikes me as a somewhat unfortunate consequence.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

I meant Grand pianos!

Living in the Midlands I have noticed the odd factory here and there. I wondered what they were for, so very grateful for your expertise :)
    Oh sorry for the misunderstanding, I obviously hit the wrong note with that one and didn't realise you were being so black and white. No idea regarding pianos, though the midlands is a fine place and Birmingham part of my family's heritage. Where d'yow come from?
This discussion has been closed.