Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Corbyn’s LAB can make progress in Scotland there are some e

Comments

• Options
    Politicians and technology...never should their path's cross.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. B2, well, I don't win anything either, so it's neutral rather than positive for me.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

Would this also be a problem for the 3.8million EU citizens resident in the UK (not just the 900,000 Brits in the EU)?

Presumably it's symmetrical.
    Not necessarily. We can choose to set our own regulations and I expect that we would facilitate their continued use of bank accounts etc.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Passporting back on.

Good news for the City and for London generally.

Gov't is lurching about like a drunken sailor, one moment its WTO the next passporting. Barnier must be very bemused.
    We surcharge councillors that screw up badly, we should do the same to the Leavers like Boris, Gove, Davis, Fox, and Raab.
    There was no political party with a manifesto proposing Leave or Remain at the referendum.

The Government did not propose leaving but remaining. Only after the referendum is the government implementing the people's decision.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited August 2018

John_M said:

JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Passporting back on.

Gov't is lurching about like a drunken sailor, one moment its WTO the next passporting. Barnier must be very bemused.
    We surcharge councillors that screw up badly, we should do the same to the Leavers like Boris, Gove, Davis, Fox, and Raab.
    Fraid the era of surcharging naughty, useless and incompetent councillors are LONG gone. Er, thank heavens!
    Ooh in that case I might become a councillor now.
    Finally going to take the plunge and join the Lib Dems? Good on you.
    I’m far too liberal and right wing for the Lib Dems.
    Opinium's ideology survey recently had LDs the only UK wide party where a majority of its voters had a positive view of libertarianism, most of the sandal wearers are now in Corbyn Labour

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-10th-july-2018-2-2/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Sandpit said:

The only person in the U.K. not yet using an adblocker?
    The only institution that has made any efforts in this regard is the EU, something that Magic Grandpa wants to leave.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,731

Yer granda's been trying to get down with the kids again. Almost vying with Tory social media strategy in its fuckwittery.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1032555210152062976

Yes, but Jezza is not alone in becoming suspicious of the activities of Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. The interest in social media, and unwillingness of us punters to pay for it, means that the company needs to utilise our data in the service of capitalism. Some of us are less comfortable with that than others, but there is some appeal to an advert free national digital service that could be safely regulated for the protection of youngsters etc.

It is a raw idea, but not a foolish one.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Wouldn't that be better for everyone? The Corbynites could go back to weaving their grand fantasies without the fear of ever actually having to account for them in power, while the rest of us could relax that a cadre of thick communists will never take up residency in Downing Street!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    edited August 2018
    Worse morning than Dominic Raab

https://twitter.com/i/status/1032585771717480449
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    edited August 2018
    Moeen Ali and James Vince recalled by England for 4th Test.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Foxy said:

Yes, but Jezza is not alone in becoming suspicious of the activities of Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. The interest in social media, and unwillingness of us punters to pay for it, means that the company needs to utilise our data in the service of capitalism. Some of us are less comfortable with that than others, but there is some appeal to an advert free national digital service that could be safely regulated for the protection of youngsters etc.

So you want to spend a lot of money on a service that you acknowledge people won't pay for, why exactly?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Tim_B said:

I have an off the wall question that I've been unable to get an answer to. Car commercials shown here in the US for European makes such as Mercedes, Land Rover, BMW, Jaguar, Volvo etc always start the small print by saying "European Model Shown", even though the car is clearly navigating the streets of (typically) New York City or San Francisco.

Why?

https://www.quora.com/Why-in-many-TV-ads-for-imported-cars-does-it-say-European-model-shown-Why-do-they-not-show-American-models

Mind you, there was a great Quora question today 'Why didn't Hitler use the Channel Tunnel to invade Britain'.....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856

Sandpit said:

Many moons ago someone, late of this parish, upbraided OGH for his site hosting ads for Russian Internet Brides, which he thought was entirely inappropriate......after someone pointed out it was based on his own browsing history he was never heard from again....
    I got an advert for Cougars seeking younger men.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Passporting back on.

Fraid the era of surcharging naughty, useless and incompetent councillors are LONG gone. Er, thank heavens!
    Replaced by the greater prospect of prosecution...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Foxy said:

Yer granda's been trying to get down with the kids again. Almost vying with Tory social media strategy in its fuckwittery.

No, it's not foolish, it's class-A, certifiable, roll-your-eyes, raving bonkers. And that's putting it kindly.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Politicians and technology...never should their path's cross.

I’m trying to work out a business plan for an IT training company working with politicians. The only people they ever seem to speak to are MI5, GCHQ and the tech companies themselves.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

Its a bonkers idea.

Lets just presume for a sec, that JezBook can actually hire any decent talent to make this project a reality, and that's a massive if. And that they manage to create this platform in the next say 3-4 years, at some significant cost.

We are already being massively optimistic that we have got to this stage. Then is this platform going to be only for UK residents, because we paid for as taxpayers? If not, are we going to charge international users a fee, or are we the UK taxpayer going to foot the bill for the on going cost?

Then we come to the infrastructure, we will are going need to build massive data centres to scale this and the got £100's millions, as I don't any of the tech companies will be that happy to host it, not without charging a significant amount....it goes on and on.....and if we aren't going to charge, it is going to cover costs by, advertising? Like Facebook?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I dunno, which is worse, a bunch of Californian libertarians in charge of all your data or the British State with Chris Williamson as Minister of Data?

Comp scientists are working on private data lockers where we own and retain all our own data and then allow controlled access as we want to third parties.

Jezza would be better looking at funding more work on that.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Many moons ago someone, late of this parish, upbraided OGH for his site hosting ads for Russian Internet Brides, which he thought was entirely inappropriate......after someone pointed out it was based on his own browsing history he was never heard from again....
    Poor targeting?
  • Options

Anazina said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

Rather like the EU I've had other fish to fry in the past couple of hours so I've completely missed Raab's offering which I had expected to be a Corporal Jones parody.

We are moving down to the crunch point primarily within the Conservative Party which is something like:

Option A "let's do a deal, It won't be perfect but life will go on without any problems and we'll sort it out during the 20 month transition period. Theresa can stay on while this all get sorted and Sajid can take over in time to trounce Corbyn in 2022"

Option B "no deal. We'll keep the £40 billion and have a nice round of pro-business tax cuts. There may be a little disruption but WTO won't kill us and soon we'll have fantastic FTAs with anyone and everyone and Global Britain will be on its way. We'll dump the useless Theresa and Boris will lead us on a tide of economic optimism to a landslide in 2022".

Nope - he effectively said that Option B cannot be allowed to happen.
    Indeed Raab is ruling out No Deal as an option which, for all his sweating and trembling, must be some sort of good news.
    Maybe I am a bit unfair to Raab this morning. Anyone would have a problem with something as megga as this is if they did not believe it.

A reporter has suggested this is all a process to make JRM and the ERG more isolated and helps the Parliamentary arithmetic to get a deal through

If this is so it is no more than high stakes politics and even I would be sweating at presenting it
    But he ought to believe it, having argued for Brexit in 2016. It was his constituents who didn't believe it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Interesting, and something that people sometimes forget, when he asked for questions from the European press, it was someone from the Irish Times who put his hand up.

Is Ireland not in Europe?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

I've been earning a crust this morning (which will be stored in my post Brexit emergency food parcel of course) so I didn't see Raab but he seemed very unconvincing on R4 this morning. He clearly was not on top of his brief and kept sidestepping rather obvious questions to put things "in context" as he put it.

It doesn't sound as if his speech was much better. What he surely should have said is that in the event of no deal there are a large range of things we can do ourselves. Importing medicine is a simple example of this. There are other things we cannot do ourselves but we can mitigate the effects. There are other things that rely upon action by the EU and these will be a matter of negotiation with or without an overarching deal.

He is of course in a difficult position because David Davis really should have done this preparatory work 18 months ago. To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail as the old cliche goes. But he really needs to get a grip if his ambitions are not going to take a serious dunt.

Don't say that you'll upset JohnO. :(
    Have no fear: I'm always on hand to console Dom.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

And obviously that doesn't include the Russian and Chinese alternatives.

VK is great for cheap Porsche parts that definitely haven't been stolen from Germany.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As Owen Jones says Right wing blogger admits austerity is failing

Guido Fawkes

Verified account

@GuidoFawkes
    Follow Follow @GuidoFawkes
    More
    People advocating fiscal loosening in a post-austerity environment are ignoring that the total public debt is now £17.5 billion more than it was a year ago.

I think taking into account GDP increase and inflation the public debt is smaller than it was a year ago though ?
    Public sector debt is falling as a share of GDP.

We've gone from cutting the deficit from 10% of GDP to 1.5% or so this year, at the same time as halving unemployment, which is a notable achievement.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

I have an off the wall question that I've been unable to get an answer to. Car commercials shown here in the US for European makes such as Mercedes, Land Rover, BMW, Jaguar, Volvo etc always start the small print by saying "European Model Shown", even though the car is clearly navigating the streets of (typically) New York City or San Francisco.

Why?

https://www.quora.com/Why-in-many-TV-ads-for-imported-cars-does-it-say-European-model-shown-Why-do-they-not-show-American-models

Mind you, there was a great Quora question today 'Why didn't Hitler use the Channel Tunnel to invade Britain'.....
    Thanks.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Why?

Because Napoleon started but didn't finish.
  • Options
    I haven't watched today's speech, but unlike @DavidL I thought Dom Raab came over very well on the Today programme this morning.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Passporting back on.

Are you planning on being a dodgy spendthrift one then?I

It would be an interesting manifesto...

Eighties revival nights on the rates?

:)
  • Options

Mr. B2, well, I don't win anything either, so it's neutral rather than positive for me.

Progress is progress ;)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Poor targeting?
    Probably, elderly cougars.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    So "No Deal" is actually wishful thinking. If we keep quiet and carry on as before maybe the EU will do likewise. These people aren't serious.
  • Options
    I thought you did business continuity for a living? Why the hell would people not plan for every scenario?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

Interesting, and something that people sometimes forget, when he asked for questions from the European press, it was someone from the Irish Times who put his hand up.

Is Ireland not in Europe?
    It is. And hence it is one of them, not one of us.
  • Options
    glw said:

Foxy said:

So you want to spend a lot of money on a service that you acknowledge people won't pay for, why exactly?
    Because a social media platform where the users aren't the product might be good.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    "Businesses should consider whether it is appropriate for them to acquire software and/or engage a customs broker, freight forwarder or logistics provider to support them with these new requirements."

So glad we're done with all that EU red tape.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    On topic Scotland has swung wildly from endless safe Labour seats to a remarkable number of genuinely marginal seats, most of which are still SNP held. In 2015 their vote was remarkably uniform across the country giving them all the rewards of FPTP. By 2017 the Tories peeled off enough votes in the borders and the north east to have some success but Labour made relatively little progress.

Can Labour do better? The volatility of Scottish politics in recent years makes any predictions brave but it has to be possible. What was very noticeable in 2017 was how the Scottish election detached itself from the UK one. Ruth Davidson and Kezia Dugdale played far more prominent roles than May or Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon played a prominent national role without even standing. This suggests to me that Richard Leonard is going to be very important in any revival. That looks somewhat problematical to me. On the rare occasion I have heard him he has sounded reasonably articulate but he is not putting himself about nearly enough to have an impact.

As I said predictions are foolish but at the moment I would be inclined to bet on fewer seats rather than more for Labour in Scotland next time out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Dura_Ace said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

Because a social media platform where the users aren't the product might be good.
    Do most people not just use adblock ?
  • Options
    For UK-based customers who access banking, insurance, investment funds and other financial services with EEA firms currently passporting into the UK, the temporary permissions regimes will enable these firms to continue to provide those services to UK customers for up to three years after exit. This will allow time for these firms to apply for authorisation to continue operating in the UK.

By contrast, in the absence of action from the EU, EEA-based customers of UK firms currently passporting into the EEA, including UK citizens living in the EEA, may lose the ability to access existing lending and deposit services, insurance contracts (such as a life insurance contracts and annuities) due to UK firms losing their rights to passport into the EEA, affecting the ability of their EEA customers to continue accessing their services. This could impact these firms’ ability to continue to service their existing products.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/banking-insurance-and-other-financial-services-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/banking-insurance-and-other-financial-services-if-theres-no-brexit-deal
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Do I understand that Richard Leonard isn't exactly propelling Scot Lab to dizzy new heights of success?

Labour's current vote share in Scotland is higher than shown in polls there in the 2017 campaign when Labour exceeded expectations in terms of both votes and seats. The Tories met expectations in terms of votes - and perhaps slightly exceeded them in terms of seats. The SNP underperformed in terms of both.
  • Options
    glw said:

Foxy said:

No I don't, but the issue of how data companies use and manipulate us is a real one. I don't think Jezza has the right solution to this, but at least he is asking the right question.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Passporting back on.

Are you planning on being a dodgy spendthrift one then?I

It would be an interesting manifesto...

Eighties revival nights on the rates?

:)
    Every area would have a council funded 80s bar/night club.

Would do wonders for the economy.

Licences would be revoked on establishments that served pineapple on pizza.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

So who pays for it?
  • Options

For UK-based customers who access banking, insurance, investment funds and other financial services with EEA firms currently passporting into the UK, the temporary permissions regimes will enable these firms to continue to provide those services to UK customers for up to three years after exit. This will allow time for these firms to apply for authorisation to continue operating in the UK.

By contrast, in the absence of action from the EU, EEA-based customers of UK firms currently passporting into the EEA, including UK citizens living in the EEA, may lose the ability to access existing lending and deposit services, insurance contracts (such as a life insurance contracts and annuities) due to UK firms losing their rights to passport into the EEA, affecting the ability of their EEA customers to continue accessing their services. This could impact these firms’ ability to continue to service their existing products.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/banking-insurance-and-other-financial-services-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/banking-insurance-and-other-financial-services-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

annuities?

Wow, the air in the Costa del Sol is gonna be blue this afternoon.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I thought you did business continuity for a living? Why the hell would people not plan for every scenario?
    Head of Regulatory and Legal Affairs.

I've planned for everything.

But I do have lots of comments from those who campaigned for Leave that such scenarios were just Project Fear.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

No I don't, but the issue of how data companies use and manipulate us is a real one. I don't think Jezza has the right solution to this, but at least he is asking the right question.
    Actually it highlights Jezza and Milne's mindset quite nicely.

There is a problem.

The solution is a new State run service.

Actually the solution is to do more with the technology to allow users to own and control their own date, free from the State and big business.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Scott_P said:
    Cripes! How many British ex-pats still bank in the UK? We could be heading for a run on the banks if this gets out.
    My Costa del Sol mum banks with Nat West Gibraltar. In the event of a hard Brexit, that's the worst possible scenario.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Passporting back on.

I think we're seeing the moment where the Minister for Brexit is actually doing the Minister for Brexit's job. This hasn't happened for the last two years. I would hope to see more consistency of approach from now.

Not so much a lurch as a change of track from a siding to a main line.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Poor targeting?
    Age is all relative. If Sean is under 60, he might be considered young by octogenarian cougars.
  • Options
    So under the Great Leader, we will have JezBook but no self driving trains....
  • Options
    edited August 2018

[snip]

By contrast, in the absence of action from the EU, EEA-based customers of UK firms currently passporting into the EEA, including UK citizens living in the EEA, may lose the ability to access existing lending and deposit services, insurance contracts (such as a life insurance contracts and annuities) due to UK firms losing their rights to passport into the EEA, affecting the ability of their EEA customers to continue accessing their services.
    [snip]

Ah, that makes sense. It's not primarily about British expats, it's about any EEA citizen who is a customer of a UK financial institution.

They might lose access to their pensions. What a shame that would be.

I mean - seriously: is it even remotely conceivable that the EU is going to be so daft as to let this happen to their own citizens, not to mention losing out on countless billions of our budget contributions?

There will be a deal, because there absolutely has to be a deal.
  • Options
    *starts speed reading*

Interesting there’s nothing on aviation in this one. Maybe we’ll get that next week.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

I've been earning a crust this morning (which will be stored in my post Brexit emergency food parcel of course) so I didn't see Raab but he seemed very unconvincing on R4 this morning. He clearly was not on top of his brief and kept sidestepping rather obvious questions to put things "in context" as he put it.

It doesn't sound as if his speech was much better. What he surely should have said is that in the event of no deal there are a large range of things we can do ourselves. Importing medicine is a simple example of this. There are other things we cannot do ourselves but we can mitigate the effects. There are other things that rely upon action by the EU and these will be a matter of negotiation with or without an overarching deal.

He is of course in a difficult position because David Davis really should have done this preparatory work 18 months ago. To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail as the old cliche goes. But he really needs to get a grip if his ambitions are not going to take a serious dunt.

Don't say that you'll upset JohnO. :(
    Have no fear: I'm always on hand to console Dom.
    I guess I hopes for our peerages/knighthoods when Dom becomes PM are on hold now.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

So who pays for it?
    10% cut in defence spending. Taxes on bankers' bonus. Increased tax receipts from the booming export driven economy of post-Brexit global Britain. Who gives a fuck how anything is paid for these days?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

So who pays for it?
    10% cut in defence spending. Taxes on bankers' bonus. Increased tax receipts from the booming export driven economy of post-Brexit global Britain. Who gives a fuck how anything is paid for these days?
    Let’s roll the printing presses Jeremy!
  • Options
    I hope (foolishly) that this is the moment when the horde of young Corbynistas realise (they won't) that Magic Gramps hasn't actually got a frigging clue, and is thick as mince.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Dura_Ace said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

Seeing as a) they won't pay for it, and b) we don't want advertising on it, why not simply do without?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. B2, touché.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I hope (foolishly) that this is the moment when the horde of young Corbynistas realise (they won't) that Magic Gramps hasn't actually got a frigging clue, and is thick as mince.
    Don't be silly....he's the messiah.
  • Options

As long as the trains are in the old liveries, the kippers will be happy. Happier still if they are steam trains.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

[snip]

By contrast, in the absence of action from the EU, EEA-based customers of UK firms currently passporting into the EEA, including UK citizens living in the EEA, may lose the ability to access existing lending and deposit services, insurance contracts (such as a life insurance contracts and annuities) due to UK firms losing their rights to passport into the EEA, affecting the ability of their EEA customers to continue accessing their services.
    [snip]

Ah, that makes sense. It's not primarily about British expats, it's about any EEA citizen who is a customer of a UK financial institution.

I mean - seriously: is it even remotely conceivable that the EU is going to be so daft as to let this happen to their own citizens, not to mention losing out on countless billions of our budget contributions?

EEA citizen, or EEA resident?

More interestingly, how and the EEA countries going to buy and sell their own debt, most of which currently goes through London?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Poor targeting?
    Age is all relative. If Sean is under 60, he might be considered young by octogenarian cougars.
    51. But, I think the octogenerians favour West Indian teenagers.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080

[snip]

[snip]

We will be in the single market for goods but not services as we will replace free movement with a job offer requirement on arrival, that is the likely deal the will agree based on Chequers

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6042765/amp/EU-offer-UK-stay-single-market-goods-without-free-movement.html
  • Options
    Talking about making yourself look like the end of a bell on Social Media.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1032247607198998528
  • Options
    Foxy said:

As long as the trains are in the old liveries, the kippers will be happy. Happier still if they are steam trains.
    Yes but they are as bad as Jezza at looking back 50 years and thinking that is the future.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

[snip]

[snip]

By expats you mean immigrants?
  • Options

twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1032247607198998528

Too many tweets comes to mind....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

So who pays for it?
    Let’s roll the printing presses Jeremy!
    The UK government hasn't paid for everything it thinks we want since 2002 or thereabouts. Now, as we're slowly approaching the break-even point, people think it's the time to start borrowing more. Honestly, if HMG were a human being, they'd have been sectioned long ago.
  • Options

Anazina said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

Rather like the EU I've had other fish to fry in the past couple of hours so I've completely missed Raab's offering which I had expected to be a Corporal Jones parody.

We are moving down to the crunch point primarily within the Conservative Party which is something like:

Option A "let's do a deal, It won't be perfect but life will go on without any problems and we'll sort it out during the 20 month transition period. Theresa can stay on while this all get sorted and Sajid can take over in time to trounce Corbyn in 2022"

Option B "no deal. We'll keep the £40 billion and have a nice round of pro-business tax cuts. There may be a little disruption but WTO won't kill us and soon we'll have fantastic FTAs with anyone and everyone and Global Britain will be on its way. We'll dump the useless Theresa and Boris will lead us on a tide of economic optimism to a landslide in 2022".

Nope - he effectively said that Option B cannot be allowed to happen.
    Indeed Raab is ruling out No Deal as an option which, for all his sweating and trembling, must be some sort of good news.
    Maybe I am a bit unfair to Raab this morning. Anyone would have a problem with something as megga as this is if they did not believe it.

A reporter has suggested this is all a process to make JRM and the ERG more isolated and helps the Parliamentary arithmetic to get a deal through

If this is so it is no more than high stakes politics and even I would be sweating at presenting it
    I feel some sympathy for Raab, to whom the unenviable task of negotiating our departure from the EU lies, with just a few months to sort it out. He is picking up from the bone idle flouncer David Davis, the incompetent fantasist Liam Fox and the odious narcissist Boris Johnson – by some distance the worst foreign secretary in British history.

He has been dealt 7-2o on the Big Blind and is merely trying to hang on for others to jack in their cards (unlikely) or – probable – prepare the ground for a tactical fold. I dare say that many other inexperienced players in his position would be sweating too: he needs to work on the tell.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

[snip]

[snip]

Anyone resident in an EU/EEA country other than the UK, and who is a customer of a UK financial institution.
  • Options
    Still makes me chuckle when someone complained to Mike about the inappropriate adverts for Russian brides/escorts he was seeing on PB.
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1032247607198998528

That’s like the friend who was running late for an interview and had a massive row with someone in the office car park over the last available space. You can guess the rest.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

So who pays for it?
    Well, ultimately we do, but that is the case already. Advertisers do it to support sales. The only question is whether we pay directly or indirectly.

I expect the minority using adblockers is quite small, and probably fortunately for PB as otherwise OGH would have to pass the hat round more often.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Poor targeting?
    51. But, I think the octogenerians favour West Indian teenagers.
    An extension of Rule 34 dictates that there will be a niche for you somewhere Sean.
  • Options
    YouGov have Con 40%, Lab 37%, Lib Dem 9%.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

[NASA SWEARING]
    *snip*

Read the follow-up.
    https://twitter.com/TCleveland4Real/status/1032248492222291969
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Right to leave: 41
    Wrong to leave: 47
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Furries.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ttps://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1032247607198998528

That’s like the friend who was running late for an interview and had a massive row with someone in the office car park over the last available space. You can guess the rest.
    That's just incredibly dumb
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

There's a valuable lesson there in never hiring furries.
  • Options

I'm not a fan of polls but – out of interest – what is the record lead for 'Wrong to Leave'?
  • Options
    Worst government since Pol Pot decided to focus on agriculture and the opposition trail by 3 points. And *still* the far left claim they're moving in the right (ha!) direction.
  • Options
    More good news in the brief interregnum between fin de siecle Britain and Brexarmapocalypse:

'Skills pressure eases as visa applications match places'

https://www.ft.com/content/dc8f8f98-a621-11e8-8ecf-a7ae1beff35b
  • Options
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Worst government since Pol Pot decided to focus on agriculture and the opposition trail by 3 points. And *still* the far left claim they're moving in the right (ha!) direction.
    Still doing 4 times as well as the soft left.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Anazina said:

I'm not a fan of polls but – out of interest – what is the record lead for 'Wrong to Leave'?
    The record is 7. There was one poll that reached 40/47.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/dt6w2at8q0/YG Trackers - EU Tracker Questions_W.pdf
  • Options
    John_M said:

More good news in the brief interregnum between fin de siecle Britain and Brexarmapocalypse:

'Skills pressure eases as visa applications match places'

https://www.ft.com/content/dc8f8f98-a621-11e8-8ecf-a7ae1beff35b

Brexarmapocalypsarok.
  • Options
    Asking for a friend.

With Corbyn talking elected editors, would this proposal extend to editors of blogs?
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    That moment you realise that being a broad church has more advantages than you initially thought. My heart goes out to poor Owen.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

[snip]

[snip]

Anyone resident in an EU/EEA country other than the UK, and who is a customer of a UK financial institution.
    So Spanish pensioners with a UK annuity? But presumably (provided you've kept one) easy enough to get the money transferred into a UK bank account then shipped overseas (but it might take a day or two longer)?
  • Options
    People are way too credulous about the efficacy of pop up ads – the smirking about the Russian brides ads or Sean's cougars being a case in point. The Russian bride PBer need not have searched for Russian brides for this thing to appear. His wife could have been searching mother-of-the-bride wedding outfits, anything. These pop up engines are extremely blunt – often near useless – instruments. I got ads the other day for new bathrooms. I haven't searched for bathroom-ware for years – there is often neither rhyme nor reason for the ads popping up.
  • Options
    So 39% up for grabs or are they all keen for grandpa Vince?
  • Options

Anazina said:

The record is 7. There was one poll that reached 40/47.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/dt6w2at8q0/YG Trackers - EU Tracker Questions_W.pdf
    Thanks William.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Still doing 4 times as well as the soft left.
    Yes, that's the measure to get into government. "We're not going to win but we are better than them."

A moderate Labour party would (IMHO) take 6-8% off the Tories and 1-2% off the LD. They'd lose 2-3% to the Greens and communists but wouldn't give a shit because (a) those people are all arseholes and (b) landslide.
This discussion has been closed.