Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It might not be his objective but the Arron Banks plan makes T

Comments

• Options

"While LAB has continued its self destructive row on antisemitism"

Annoyingly the polls have not moved and Corbyn is on course to be PM

There finished your sentence for you

"Annoyingly the polls have not moved and JICIPM!"
  • Options
    Who could have predicted this? Oh wait.

Tory bosses urged to change leadership rules so Boris Johnson will have a better chance of being next PM

Boris Johnson's supporters fear his fellow MPs will keep him off the ballot

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7050042/boris-johnson-tory-leadership-election-rules-theresa-may/
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

Of course it does. And we will cave because we can't take the chance that they will take any of their many treaties and protocols and agreements seriously.

As @Nigel_Foremain notes, entering into negotiations that rely on your opponent feeling sorry for you might not be hopeless, but it is certainly not what one would call a strong position.

I was highlighting your double standards. You regard it as beyond the pale for the UK to contemplate leaving without a deal yet seem sanguine about the EU having offered so hard over the past year that we are on the verge of that very outcome.

In terms of the EU or rather the Commission's position, it is indeed clear that their stance is as you say "not be the action of a serious government with the well-being of the nation uppermost in its mind". The Commission doesn't care that much about the impact on EU states and the little people in Europe working in export industries whose livelihoods are linked to a continuation of UK trade post Brexit. What the Commission cares about is the future of the EU project upon which the livelihoods of those in Brussels depend. And as such it is desperate to ensure that the UK cannot be seen to make a success of Brexit, however much pain the EU has to endure to that end, in case the whole EU project starts to unravel on the back of the UK's example.

The irony is that the UK can make a success of Brexit, even if the Commission refuses to play ball, because of the international agreements the EU is obliged to uphold and the imbalance of EU-UK trade which accounts for nearly all of the UK's current trade deficit. So the Commission is left acting as the Holy Roman Emperor without any clothes, desperate that the Remainers running our government don't see through the weakness of its negotiating position.
    We are in a negotiation whereby each party is presumably aiming for the best outcome possible from the negotiations.

You seem to be in the group of people who somehow believe that the EU owes us something because, well, because we are Britain and Great.

As for the impact on EU states, as seems to be disappointingly necessary to point out time and again these days, there is an asymmetric relationship between the UK and each individual EU member state. We account for around 6-10% of each EU member state's exports whereas the EU accounts for nearly half of our exports.

So you go do the math of a disruption or hit to EU-UK trade. It might help you if instead of "EU" when you are talking about imbalances in any areay you instead wrote your post 27 times and in each case substituted the individual member State, eg. France, Germany, Spain, etc.
  • Options
    notme said:

"Under WTO rules non tariff barriers have been dealt with" - Redwood

If that was true FTAs would be a lot simpler than they are.
    The vast bulk of fta are not about tariffs but about equivleence and mutual recognition of standards. All ours at the moment are Single Market compliant. Literally any free trade deal with the EU by other nations already incorporates each other’s equivalence.

Free trade deals with the EU are only as complicated as deep we want them to be. A trade deal with Canada wouldn’t need to be renegotiated between uk, if both sides are happy with the CETA deal it’s a case of substituting uk and EU. All the other stuff is identical.

Really reclaiming sovereignty there. We'll just copy Canada.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited August 2018

Apparently the inflation rate in Venezuela now tops 61,000%. They've knocked off five zeroes from the currency.

It can't be far from absolute collapse. Poverty's rampant, inflation means you should buy food at dawn because it'll have reduced your spending power significantly by dusk, unemployment's vast, people are shedding weight because they're starving, the democratic process is a sham, and there's an exodus caused by people desperately seeking food, work, and safety elsewhere.

Is Venezuela using CPI or RPI to measure their 61,000% inflation rate?
    Looks like Brazil have an equivalent of the EDL:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45242786
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

O/t, but this year’s funniest joke at the Edinburgh Fringe is

"Working at the Jobcentre has to be a tense job - knowing that if you get fired, you still have to come in the next day.”

Actually, I’m sure I’ve heard it before!

As a matter of interest my daughter works in the DWP
    To my mind Dave Allen, dead as he is, remains far funnier than most comedians today -
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yBca1ixoEbg
    A genius. In our house rewatching his stuff is a Christmas tradition.
    His riff on teaching children how to tell the time is pure class. And he was brave too in the way that he mocked the Irish Catholic church.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008

John Redwood answers your and Hunt's stance pretty comprehensively here.

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2018/08/19/jeremy-hunt-damages-the-uks-negotiating-position/

"Mr Hunt also seems unaware of the large economic upside we will enjoy if we just leave in March 2019 without the impediment of a Withdrawal Agreement delaying us. The UK economy can receive a major boost from spending the £39bn we would otherwise send to the EU on our public spending priorities and tax cuts here in the UK. We will also be able to draw up a tariff schedule more suited to UK needs and strengths, and sign trade agreements with many countries around the world. If we insist on just leaving, the EU is very likely to seek tariff free trade with us. It is only because they think the UK will give more ground in this negotiation that they are hanging tough on the trade issue. Many pro Brexit MPs agree that leaving and trading under WTO arrangements is a good option with plenty of economic upside for the UK. The government still believes there is a better deal available than this. If they want to get such a deal they need to show the EU we are serious about leaving without one, and explain the many benefits of so doing in public."

One of my complaints about arguments like this is they confuse "can" or "may" with "will". Recall the "professionals study logistics" quote. In the text there are numerous cases where the author states that something is possible, without considering the steps necessary to bring it about. He also asserts a probability ("very likely") without evidence.

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Miliband was 6%ish ahead at this stage of the 2010 parliament.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Sorry, laughing too hard to type...
    Surely you won't pine away over Redwood?
    I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    It gives you Pine and Suffering?
    Fir goodness sake Sunil they are planely barking up the wrong tree.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2018/08/19/jeremy-hunt-damages-the-uks-negotiating-position/

"Mr Hunt also seems unaware of the large economic upside we will enjoy if we just leave in March 2019 without the impediment of a Withdrawal Agreement delaying us. The UK economy can receive a major boost from spending the £39bn we would otherwise send to the EU on our public spending priorities and tax cuts here in the UK. We will also be able to draw up a tariff schedule more suited to UK needs and strengths, and sign trade agreements with many countries around the world. If we insist on just leaving, the EU is very likely to seek tariff free trade with us. It is only because they think the UK will give more ground in this negotiation that they are hanging tough on the trade issue. Many pro Brexit MPs agree that leaving and trading under WTO arrangements is a good option with plenty of economic upside for the UK. The government still believes there is a better deal available than this. If they want to get such a deal they need to show the EU we are serious about leaving without one, and explain the many benefits of so doing in public."

One of my complaints about arguments like this is they confuse "can" or "may" with "will". Recall the "professionals study logistics" quote. In the text there are numerous cases where the author states that something is possible, without considering the steps necessary to bring it about. He also asserts a probability ("very likely") without evidence.

Brexit could eff up the British economy?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Of course it does. And we will cave because we can't take the chance that they will take any of their many treaties and protocols and agreements seriously.

As @Nigel_Foremain notes, entering into negotiations that rely on your opponent feeling sorry for you might not be hopeless, but it is certainly not what one would call a strong position.

I was highlighting your double standards. You regard it as beyond the pale for the UK to contemplate leaving without a deal yet seem sanguine about the EU having offered so hard over the past year that we are on the verge of that very outcome.

In terms of the EU or rather the Commission's position, it is indeed clear that their stance is as you say "not be the action of a serious government with the well-being of the nation uppermost in its mind". The Commission doesn't care that much about the impact on EU states and the little people in Europe working in export industries whose livelihoods are linked to a continuation of UK trade post Brexit. What the Commission cares about is the future of the EU project upon which the livelihoods of those in Brussels depend. And as such it is desperate to ensure that the UK cannot be seen to make a success of Brexit, however much pain the EU has to endure to that end, in case the whole EU project starts to unravel on the back of the UK's example.

We are in a negotiation whereby each party is presumably aiming for the best outcome possible from the negotiations.

You seem to be in the group of people who somehow believe that the EU owes us something because, well, because we are Britain and Great.

As for the impact on EU states, as seems to be disappointingly necessary to point out time and again these days, there is an asymmetric relationship between the UK and each individual EU member state. We account for around 6-10% of each EU member state's exports whereas the EU accounts for nearly half of our exports.

So you go do the math of a disruption or hit to EU-UK trade. It might help you if instead of "EU" when you are talking about imbalances in any areay you instead wrote your post 27 times and in each case substituted the individual member State, eg. France, Germany, Spain, etc.
    The fall in the pound has already caused Ford Europe to issue a profits warning. Opel will be next. Personally I think an 80:20 rule will be in play and unexpected consequences will play out on the EU economy in the case of disruption to EU-UK trade.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    stjohn said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

King Cole, that may, counter-intuitively, be completely wrong.

When I was at school, my Religious Studies teacher, who was a splendid fellow, suggested it was actually more likely for a staunch atheist (or believer in another religion) to convert than a lazy, disinterested agnostic. The reasoning may be that the believer/atheist has a genuine religious position and thinks about such things (perhaps a lot) whereas the lazy agnostic just doesn't, and doesn't care to.

Surely what the former staunch athiest (etc) has done is weigh up the continual small pieces of evidence which come before before him until eventually the crucial appears and he converts. It may seem a “Road to Damascus” event but it isn’t. A journey of 1000 miles etc.
    Similar to falling in love. One may well fall immediately in lust, but realising that this is the person with whom one wants to spend of one’s life generally takes a bit longer.
    As a devout atheist, I can conceive of no evidence that will ever persuade me of the existence of any god - whether than be Zeus or one of the more modern pretenders.

Faith - as far as I understand it - does not require evidence.
    What if he turned up? I mean, I am an atheist too but that's because I deal with the facts as my limited understanding comprehends them. As a much, much cleverer man once said, "When the facts change, I change my mind, what do you do sir?"
    How could you tell?

What criteria would you use?

Turning water into wine?
    I am sure that an omnipotent God, if he existed, could think of something.
    Rolling back a tsunami?
    I'm a nusta?

Pardon?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Eagles, if only there were a word for that sort of proposed gerrymandering.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The fall in the pound has already caused Ford Europe to issue a profits warning. Opel will be next. Personally I think an 80:20 rule will be in play and unexpected consequences will play out on the EU economy in the case of disruption to EU-UK trade.
    Is this a variant on "BMW will force them to do a deal with us"?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Andrew said:

Miliband was 6%ish ahead at this stage of the 2010 parliament.
    And Corbyn 20% behind
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

TOPPING said:

The irony is that the UK can make a success of Brexit, even if the Commission refuses to play ball, because of the international agreements the EU is obliged to uphold and the imbalance of EU-UK trade which accounts for nearly all of the UK's current trade deficit. So the Commission is left acting as the Holy Roman Emperor without any clothes, desperate that the Remainers running our government don't see through the weakness of its negotiating position.

Your hatred of the EU is blinding your understanding. The Commission (the clue is in the name) does the delegated bidding of the Council of Ministers, i.e. the 27 nations, and they will therefore do what they believe to be in the collective interest of the 27, and the democratically elected heads of government have recently affirmed that. It is us (or at least 52% of us) that are being awkward and making demands based on a very weak hand. When those of us that worked this out said this during the campaign (and since) we were told it was "project fear". Keep kidding yourself with the "they need us more than we need them " line. It is what manipulate charlatans like Boris want you to keep believing. The one benefit you do have is that you can always blame the whole cock-up when it unfolds on those terrible furriners.
  • Options

stjohn said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

When I was at school, my Religious Studies teacher, who was a splendid fellow, suggested it was actually more likely for a staunch atheist (or believer in another religion) to convert than a lazy, disinterested agnostic. The reasoning may be that the believer/atheist has a genuine religious position and thinks about such things (perhaps a lot) whereas the lazy agnostic just doesn't, and doesn't care to.

Surely what the former staunch athiest (etc) has done is weigh up the continual small pieces of evidence which come before before him until eventually the crucial appears and he converts. It may seem a “Road to Damascus” event but it isn’t. A journey of 1000 miles etc.
    Similar to falling in love. One may well fall immediately in lust, but realising that this is the person with whom one wants to spend of one’s life generally takes a bit longer.
    As a devout atheist, I can conceive of no evidence that will ever persuade me of the existence of any god - whether than be Zeus or one of the more modern pretenders.

What if he turned up? I mean, I am an atheist too but that's because I deal with the facts as my limited understanding comprehends them. As a much, much cleverer man once said, "When the facts change, I change my mind, what do you do sir?"
    How could you tell?

Turning water into wine?
    Rolling back a tsunami?
    I'm a nusta?

Pardon?
    A tsunami - i'm a nusta
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    From the Sun poll:

Brexit is an historic mistake and only now people are realising it:

Agree: 44%
    Disagree: 30%

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SOS-website-post.pdf
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    I was trying to branch out, but I bough to your superior talent Dr!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    Yew know it makes sense!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281

Apparently the inflation rate in Venezuela now tops 61,000%. They've knocked off five zeroes from the currency.

It can't be far from absolute collapse. Poverty's rampant, inflation means you should buy food at dawn because it'll have reduced your spending power significantly by dusk, unemployment's vast, people are shedding weight because they're starving, the democratic process is a sham, and there's an exodus caused by people desperately seeking food, work, and safety elsewhere.

Is Venezuela using CPI or RPI to measure their 61,000% inflation rate?
    Looks like Brazil have an equivalent of the EDL:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45242786
    The Venezuelan Patriotic League really needs to make an appearance.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Yet another Brexit dividend:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/19/exclusive-mps-demand-bigger-expenses-budget-cope-additional/

MPs are demanding a larger expenses budget because they claim Brexit is adding to their "workloads", the official watchdog has revealed.

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) disclosed that MPs have been lobbying for an increase in the amount they spend on employing staff.

• Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    And with that, all my dreams of winning the punning competition are Ash.
  • Options
    On the plus side at their current rate the Indians will take the best part of the day to get the lead over 400. Which only leaves England 2 days to bat. What could go wrong?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited August 2018
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Is this a variant on "BMW will force them to do a deal with us"?
    It has already been reported in the press that both the German and French car industries are lobbying Brussels hard for a deal that leaves their businesses unaffected.
    I have no doubt that the Audi's, BMW's, Mercs will keep selling large volumes of cars here. The real issue is the Fords and Opel's made in Germany that become very un-competitive. 66% of Opel staff are in Germany.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    Oak-kay then :lol:
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    TOPPING said:

notme said:

"Under WTO rules non tariff barriers have been dealt with" - Redwood

If that was true FTAs would be a lot simpler than they are.
    The vast bulk of fta are not about tariffs but about equivleence and mutual recognition of standards. All ours at the moment are Single Market compliant. Literally any free trade deal with the EU by other nations already incorporates each other’s equivalence.

Free trade deals with the EU are only as complicated as deep we want them to be. A trade deal with Canada wouldn’t need to be renegotiated between uk, if both sides are happy with the CETA deal it’s a case of substituting uk and EU. All the other stuff is identical.

Really reclaiming sovereignty there. We'll just copy Canada.
    I was referring to our trade with Canada and how ceta could be modified for a uk Canada deal with very little effort. Just top and tails.

• Options
    DavidL said:

On the plus side at their current rate the Indians will take the best part of the day to get the lead over 400. Which only leaves England 2 days to bat. What could go wrong?

Well, at least they're not Nottinghamshire.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

How could you tell?

Turning water into wine?
    A more boring answer than those already given, but I suspect the simplest way would just be to *make* you believe in him.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    Yew know it makes sense!
    There is an old (in a South Essex accent) joke about the difference between a bison and a buffalo, the point being that one cannot wash one’s hands in a buffalo.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    I saw what you were doing, and I can't deal with the knot...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Some prime Leave-Remain bickering fodder here.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1031458127097606145
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Morning all :)

As far as Venezuela goes it's an appalling human tragedy. Is it an indictment of socialism in general? Not especially but it is an indictment of the version cooked up by Chavez and now Maduro which is effectively cronyism and gangsterism dressed up and called "socialism".

Maduro is from the rich seam of dictatorial embezzlers for whom the acquisition of power isn't about trying to improve the lot of the citizens of your country but trying to improve your and your immediate family's own economic well-being by the systematic looting of your own country.

Maduro is no more a socialist than Marcos or Bokassa or Mobutu or any one of a dozen African and Asian dictators who robbed their own country and its people. The so-called Communists who ran Eastern Europe from 1945 all did very well out of it with big cars, big estates and no doubt big Swiss bank accounts as witness by the Ceaucescus.

We may chastise Blair, Cameron, Obama and others for making money after they were in office but compared to the Maduros they are mere amateurs.

As a welcome contrast, the Washington Post piece on former POTUS Jimmy Carter was a breath of fresh air. He may not have been the greatest President by any stretch but the way he has comported himself since leaving office in 1981 is an example to all.
  • Options
    [I've edited the below for brevity]

"...The EU has and uses powers to recognise the standards and competent authorities of third countries to be able to import their goods and to comply with its WTO obligations..."

I assume he is correct when he says it has such powers, but will it use them in our case?

...Under WTO rules non tariff barriers have been dealt with, so the EU cannot legally mount a Napoleonic blockade against UK goods once we have left...

How about illegally? Who decides what is legal, and in which court would we sue if it did?

"...the day following our departure UK produce and products still meet all existing EU standards...

Who certifies this, how long will they take to certify it, and when do they plan to do so?

"...People on both sides of the Channel will continue to honour contracts and buy and sell to each other after our exit. To suggest otherwise is silly scaremongering..."

This is a fair point, and he is correct that Remainers have a tendency to hyperbole. I pointed out in previous posts that the posited denial-of-flight scenario was exagggerated (UK controls in whole or part the flight areas over the UK, Ireland, and west of Ireland, and the plug can't be pulled without our consent). But the issue is not whether trade will continue to take place, the issue is the scale of the disruption: he assumes there will be none, and I think he's wrong in that.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    DavidL said:

Our wicketkeeper could break a finger?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

The UK economy is larger than £2,000 billion per year; the extra £39 billion that would have been paid "over a number of years" would be under 1% if the number of years was just 2, and even smaller if longer than that. It would be a surprise for it to be that major a boost as to overcome the issues of sudden imposition of friction of trade alone.

He talks much about tariffs (which would suit us) and signing trade agreements around the world (when? Most take several years to negotiate at best, during which time we're worse off; that £39 billion is doing a lot of work, here).

There's not a single word about Non-Tariff Barriers, which are the most difficult part and the part feared to cause the long queues at ports and potential shortfalls, and is far bigger a deal than tariffs. LeaveHQ has a great post on it here: http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=128 - which is highly recommended reading for anyone on either side who is concerned about the issue.

I love that the same people who say £39 billion is a tiny, tiny amount that we won't notice the benefit of are the same people who scream that £350m a week on the side of a bus is an insane amount of money that could never, ever be found under any circumstances.

Gey your fucking story straight,, guys....
    You must have me confused with someone else.
    I've always held that the £350 million per week as per 2016 that we could find without raising taxes, cutting spending, or borrowing was, indeed, a lie.
    Not that we could not find it from elsewhere.

The latter, however, is fuck-all to do with a referendum on the EU, and a lot to do with straightforward politics. "Increase spending on the NHS by £18bn per year" is an election pledge that any party could make at any time (whether it's credible or economically balanced is another matter).

"We could increase spending on the NHS by £18bn per year just by diverting money currently going to the EU" is a referendum pledge that was factually untrue.

See the difference?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

How could you tell?

Turning water into wine?
    A more boring answer than those already given, but I suspect the simplest way would just be to *make* you believe in him.
    On the plus side an ability like that would make betting more predictable.
  • Options
    "The fall in the pound has already caused Ford Europe to issue a profits warning. Opel will be next. Personally I think an 80:20 rule will be in play and unexpected consequences will play out on the EU economy in the case of disruption to EU-UK trade. "

Unexpected consequences and the platitudes of politicians are the only real certainties, though we do have to, in spite of Mr. Goves' maxim, take the balance of probabilities into account. "Brexit will be the easiest thing in history" will take it's place in our political lexicon as the most rash and stupid quote since "we will be home for Christmas
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Alistair Cook could score a double century and stagger on as opener for another year?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

And the man who has shelled so many catches takes over behind the stumps?

We’re going to miss YJB’s batting and keeping.

Tempted to put money on India to win this series now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    edited August 2018
    Wow. A new low for the Cult:

https://twitter.com/PLSpeakman/status/1031255524820574209

In response to news that Mann's grandkid is ill.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

We have a spare in the side.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

From the Sun poll:

It is clear that the tide has turned against Brexit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

We have a spare in the side.
    We have two spares in the side.

The Young Pope can keep as well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Alistair Cook could score a double century and stagger on as opener for another year?
    I think we've done the miracle thing.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    The first e-mailer I used was called ELM (Electronic Mailer), and the next was called PINE ("Pine Is Not Elm").
  • Options
    "It has already been reported in the press that both the German and French car industries are lobbying Brussels hard for a deal that leaves their businesses unaffected.
    I have no doubt that the Audi's, BMW's, Mercs will keep selling large volumes of cars here. The real issue is the Fords and Opel's made in Germany that become very un-competitive. 66% of Opel staff are in Germany"

I am sure it will be a consideration for those companies. However their Vice Presidents of Sales will already be looking at places where they can mitigate any losses by increased activity in other counties. It is a problem that they could no doubt do without, but if we think this will be a lobbying game changer for us we are very much clinging to false hope.The "they need us more than we need them" is just another lie from the Boris Johnson school of dishonest campaigning.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Nothing should surprise anyone about how low they are happy to go. They delight in bringing misery and fear.

And yet Corbyn still does nothing. And he gets away with it.

It is just crazy. Dangerous. And crazy.
  • Options

From the Sun poll:

"I'm really bored by Brexit"

59% agree
    23% neither
    14% disagree
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Anazina said:

From the Sun poll:

What from a leading question in one opinion poll? Aren't you the poster who reckons all polls between elections are crap anyway?
  • Options

Nothing should surprise anyone about how low they are happy to go. They delight in bringing misery and fear.

Absolutely. Why don’t people think for a millisecond before posting something like that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?
    There's only one language these tree-punners understand.

The birch.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?
    I'm positively horse with laughing.
  • Options

Wow, that is sick if that is the case. The evil of extremism really is on the rise in the UK and is slowly asserting it's power within the Labour and Tory parties while "ordinary" people say "I don't do politics".
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

And the man who has shelled so many catches takes over behind the stumps?

We’re going to miss YJB’s batting and keeping.

Tempted to put money on India to win this series now.
    Putting money? Aren’t you being the good Muslim boy to your parents this week? ;)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

I'm just sycamore and more of these puns....
  • Options

Absolutely. Why don’t people think for a millisecond before posting something like that.
    Anyone know what this one is about?

https://twitter.com/MichaelDugher/status/1031473408628932608
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    viewcode said:

From the Sun poll:

59% agree
    23% neither
    14% disagree
    If people are bored, does it mean that they won't take part in a further public vote?
  • Options

It's ok, really, because part 2 made it clear that he's really a fine, caring human being. And not a hate-filled monomaniacal scumbag after all.
    https://twitter.com/PLSpeakman/status/1031255862634074112
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

Would you like me to make them privetly from now on?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

It's ok, really, because part 2 made it clear that he's really a fine, caring human being. And not a hate-filled monomaniacal scumbag after all.
    https://twitter.com/PLSpeakman/status/1031255862634074112
    Yes, that makes it so much better!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

I'd like them to stop. But, hey - life's a beech....
  • Options

viewcode said:

From the Sun poll:

59% agree
    23% neither
    14% disagree
    If people are bored, does it mean that they won't take part in a further public vote?
    Good question
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Read on that repulsive anti-Mann twitter feed that she is apparently Margaret Hodge's daughter (or perhaps grand-daughter). Don't know whether it's true.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

This.

First they went after Margaret Hodge. Now they go after her daughter.

https://twitter.com/freddybinyusuf/status/1031255757235412994
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

You have a silver tongue sir, even if you do threaten birching...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

Yew ain't so bad....
  • Options

Is it about Margaet Hodge’s daughter?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

Yew ain't so bad....
    With those compliments let's draw a lime...

I have to go. Have a good afternoon.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

Your sense of humour has been cypressed?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

It's the willow the people you know
  • Options

They are trying to claim that because Hodge's daughter works in BBC News there is some grand conspiracy at the heart of the establishment. Classic smear tactics - based on her family heritage. Pretty clear what they are driving at.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

It's the willow the people you know
    It's enough to sap your energy
  • Options

This is the kinder, gentler politics in action.
  • Options

This is the kinder, gentler politics in action.
  • Options
    Interesting that the latest edition of R4's The Reunion is about the Holocaust.

Wonder why that would be all of a sudden?

*Innocent face*
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't cedar point....
    That pun has needled me.
    That old chestnut, eh?

The birch.
    That's a larch claim.

Yew ain't so bad....
    Beech of copyright! I came up with "yew" upthread!

(though someone else beat me to "pine"!)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Anazina said:

From the Sun poll:

Not, judging by this poll.

47% want to Leave the EU on March 29th, 28% don't.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

They are trying to claim that because Hodge's daughter works in BBC News there is some grand conspiracy at the heart of the establishment. Classic smear tactics - based on her family heritage. Pretty clear what they are driving at.
    Extremist fruitcakes are just that but this sort of conspiracy theory used to be commonplace even among pb Tories with their reds at the beeb scares. Jess Phillips MP said in one of the Jewish papers last week she gets equal twitter abuse from left and right but no-one has asked Theresa May to comment.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

"It has already been reported in the press that both the German and French car industries are lobbying Brussels hard for a deal that leaves their businesses unaffected.
    I have no doubt that the Audi's, BMW's, Mercs will keep selling large volumes of cars here. The real issue is the Fords and Opel's made in Germany that become very un-competitive. 66% of Opel staff are in Germany"

I am sure it will be a consideration for those companies. However their Vice Presidents of Sales will already be looking at places where they can mitigate any losses by increased activity in other counties. It is a problem that they could no doubt do without, but if we think this will be a lobbying game changer for us we are very much clinging to false hope.The "they need us more than we need them" is just another lie from the Boris Johnson school of dishonest campaigning.

Let me introduce you to Mr Trade Deficit....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It's OK, once they are in power they'll be able to purge all Jews from the media.
  • Options

Extremist fruitcakes are just that but this sort of conspiracy theory used to be commonplace even among pb Tories with their reds at the beeb scares. Jess Phillips MP said in one of the Jewish papers last week she gets equal twitter abuse from left and right but no-one has asked Theresa May to comment.
    She has a problem with abuse from people who claim to be Conservative members, as opposed to random right-wing idiots?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited August 2018

Probably because they know that TM is opposed to the nutters. In Corbyn's case...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

The city I was born and live (bradford) - made it to bottom of the list.

Come on people,reasons why you wouldn't live in our great multicultural city ?

• Options

Because it is full of muppets complaining about multiculturalism.

It is very off putting now matter how lovely Bombay Stores is.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Few of the latter would claim to be supporters of Theresa May. In fact, they hate her.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I think this is much more sinister. The starting point is that there is a Zionist conspiracy and that any Jew is likely to be a part of it. It's not "75% of the BBC read the Guardian", or "newsnight editor was a member of the marxist party".

As further evidence, this was the FOI put in by the same people trying to "out" Hodge's daughter.
    https://twitter.com/stejormur/status/1031466505224040448
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited August 2018

From the Sun poll:

We should Leave the EU in March next year like it or not

Yes 47%
    No 28%

The political class are trying to make heavy weather of the negotiations to convince us to change our mind

Yes 48%
    No 12%

• Options

It's OK, once they are in power they'll be able to purge all Jews from the media.
    Seems they are not prepared to wait that long.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

I guess Wolfie hates orange juice.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I think this is much more sinister. The starting point is that there is a Zionist conspiracy and that any Jew is likely to be a part of it. It's not "75% of the BBC read the Guardian", or "newsnight editor was a member of the marxist party".

As further evidence, this was the FOI put in by the same people trying to "out" Hodge's daughter.
    Wait until they find out the religious makeup of the editorial staff of PB.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

She has a problem with abuse from people who claim to be Conservative members, as opposed to random right-wing idiots?
    I've no idea but every left-wing keyboard warrior on twitter is labelled a Corbynista.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

From the Sun poll:

We should Leave the EU in March next year like it or not

Yes 47%
    No 28%

The political class are trying to make heavy weather of the negotiations to convince us to change our mind

Yes 48%
    No 12%

That last question should give the Remainers pause for thought. By 4:1, they will own a shit settlement....
  • Options

Anorak said:

I think we all know it's exclusively run by remoaners.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Sandpit said:

Is there a distinction between the two these days?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

I think the Muppets complaining about multiculturalism do something about it,it's called white - flight.

My football team must be getting a reputation like man u of having fans who don't live in Bradford.
  • Options

I think the Muppets complaining about multiculturalism do something about it,it's called white - flight.

My football team must be getting a reputation like man u of having fans who don't live in Bradford.
    Demographics of Manchester.

Circa 67% White

Demographics of Bradford

Circa 67% White

There must be another reason why Manchester is thirty places higher than Bradford than multiculturalism.
  • Options

Anorak said:

I didn't know Mike was a Good Muslim Boy :open_mouth:
This discussion has been closed.