Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Men of Honour?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:
    More interesting is that the internet is starting to really take the piss out of his lame excuses. There's not much way back for a politician once people start taking the piss.

I remember when Ed Miliband lost the Mock The Week panel. He never recovered.
    Starting? Corbyn got mocked and taken the piss out of (as did Momentum, Owen Jones et al) from 2015-17. This certainly isn’t new for him.
    Corbyn really is very Trump like in a lot of ways when it comes to his base, despite his pitch being different and personally being a polite man. And like Trump it doesn't matter that the bits of the internet that already didn't like him still don't like him.

Corbyn is more than capable of spinning, obfuscating, dissembling, just like a normal politician.
    . Corbyn’s association with terrorists is not a new thing. We already saw him with Gerry Adams and know his attitude towards the IRA. And IRA terrorism is more well known than the Munich Massacre.
    Well
    Steven Spielberg did make a pretty big blockbuster about Operation Wrath of God not so long ago.

I think the difference with this is we're just further down the track and he's been unable to use his "it's all smears, I was just at a meeting where this speaker happened to be" defence because there are photos of him doing the bad thing. The bad thing that even on the most charitable explanation plausible (he went along with it all without knowing the implications of the ceremony) is grossly offensive to the victims and should be a resigning offence. So he's trapped where he is now, lying to avoid the full implications of his actions while accepting as much as he has to and making his supporters look like idiots while those not invested in his cult point out the bleeding obvious.

It's Trump 101 - but unlike Trump, the key constituency within Labour (Those who are sympathetic to Corbyn and his politics in general, but ultimately loyal to Labour) are going to be upset by this nonsense. They don't like old friends and allies asking why they're still supporting a racist, and soon will have to choose between the cult, or the rest of the world.

Generally Corbyn's defences have given his less fanatical supporters semi-justified 'outs' that enable them to defend him while agreeing with the general premise of his critics (i.e. anti-Semitism is bad, but Corbyn is just a bit slow on the uptake in tackling it. he's said he'll address it) . There isn't one this time and each incident uses up some credit outside his core base.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    Sandpit said:

Tom Lehrer? Not heard that before (I’m a little younger!)...

"We will all go together when we go, / Every Hottentot and every Eskimo. / When the air becomes uranious / We will all go simultaneous. / Yes, we'll all go together when we go."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    MJW said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Corbyn really is very Trump like in a lot of ways when it comes to his base, despite his pitch being different and personally being a polite man. And like Trump it doesn't matter that the bits of the internet that already didn't like him still don't like him.

Corbyn is more than capable of spinning, obfuscating, dissembling, just like a normal politician.
    . Corbyn’s association with terrorists is not a new thing. We already saw him with Gerry Adams and know his attitude towards the IRA. And IRA terrorism is more well known than the Munich Massacre.
    Well
    Steven Spielberg did make a pretty big blockbuster about Operation Wrath of God not so long ago.

I think the difference with this is we're just further down the track and he's been unable to use his "it's all smears, I was just at a meeting where this speaker happened to be" defence because there are photos of him doing the bad thing. The bad thing that even on the most charitable explanation plausible (he went along with it all without knowing the implications of the ceremony) is grossly offensive to the victims and should be a resigning offence. So he's trapped where he is now, lying to avoid the full implications of his actions while accepting as much as he has to and making his supporters look like idiots while those not invested in his cult point out the bleeding obvious.

It's Trump 101 - but unlike Trump, the key constituency within Labour (Those who are sympathetic to Corbyn and his politics in general, but ultimately loyal to Labour) are going to be upset by this nonsense. They don't like old friends and allies asking why they're still supporting a racist, and soon will have to choose between the cult, or the rest of the world.

Generally Corbyn's defences have given his less fanatical supporters semi-justified 'outs' that enable them to defend him while agreeing with the general premise of his critics (i.e. anti-Semitism is bad, but Corbyn is just a bit slow on the uptake in tackling it. he's said he'll address it) . There isn't one this time and each incident uses up some credit outside his core base.
    People believe what they want to be true. That applies in spades to Corbyn's supporters. As we have seen on this site.

If there is a tipping point it won't be something connected to the Palestinian/Israeli issue or the IRA it will be some link with some more recent terror group and terror activities against British/European citizens in recent years. I have no idea whether there is such a link, but I wouldn't bet against it.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Toms said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

I have two Transtec PCs. One is over 20 years old and has needed a memory upgrade and the other is about 15 years old, seriously hunky, and with a quad core processor. I do pretty big calculations on the latter, bomb-proof and unfazed. Oh, and I use a ten quid mobile. Am I missing something in life? Transtec seems to have ceased trading. Their stuff was too good I guess.
    For boffins they were an antidote to Apple, but Apple is savvy.

The idea of a computer company going out of business because it’s stuff was too good is delightfully counter intuitive.
    Heh. It all depends on one's definition of "goodness" (see Prof Joad) . I suspect that my definition may be out of phase with the majority.
    That's exactly why DEC went bust - refused to release hardware that wasn't perfectly engineered - got steamrollered as the world had changed - mind you by letting Dave Cutler go off and rewrite VMS Ken Olsen got his revenge on the world by inflicting Windows NT on everyone.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Corbyn doesn't need to be PM.

He'd make far more money repeatedly selling his followers the Brooklyn Bridge.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Scott_P said:
    That's some firm defending there - he really could do anything he wanted at this point.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Lol, it looks like Elon Musk is trying to make a couple of billion investment by the Saudis into $70bn. What a complete lunatic. Tesla might be a very valuable company with some excellent tech, Elon Musk isn't a good CEO. They need a proper manager to take over.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kingbongo said:

That's exactly why DEC went bust - refused to release hardware that wasn't perfectly engineered - got steamrollered as the world had changed

Also played a significant role in the demise of Nortel
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Great piece Ms @Cyclefree. When the instinct of an institution is to immediately try and cover up rather than apologise and learn from mistakes, then the institution itself becomes devalued over time. The covering up often works for a while, but eventually the dam bursts and the consequences are usually more serious than if the original misdemeanours were dealt with properly.

(Whenever this subject comes up I think of Tim Minchin’s rather rude “Pope Song”, which uses some very bad but entirely justifiable language in its criticism of the Catholic Church).

iPad - wait for the new release next month and see if you can pick up last year’s models cheaper. The newer ones are noticeably faster than the old ones, go to a store and have a play with a display model. Also, if you’re travelling get one duty free (but not at UK end, they mark them up massively).

I’m a great fan of Tim Minchen but I don’t think that he matched The Vatican Rag. When I was a child my dad used to put me out of the room when that came on his tapes. Much more innocent times of course.
    vatican rag youtube
    Tom Lehrer? Not heard that before (I’m a little younger!) but very good and with fewer F-bombs than the Pope Song ;)
    Try National Brotherhood Week. It’s a hoot.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    In Philippe Sands' book "East West Street", the son of one of the senior SS people in charge of an area in Poland/Byelorussia/Ukraine absolutely refuses to believe that his father gave the orders for Jews to be taken out of the town and killed, even though Sands shows him the instructions, shows him the place, shows him all the evidence. Because there is not a piece of paper with his father's actual signature saying "Kill them" he will not accept his father's guilt.

It is very interesting on the immense capacity for self-deception people have.

That answer above is very similar in its self-delusion. People simply cannot bear to believe that Corbyn is a flawed human being and has made some misjudgments so they will seek to change the reality.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:
    You can get pants for that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:

MJW said:

Well

People believe what they want to be true. That applies in spades to Corbyn's supporters. As we have seen on this site.

If there is a tipping point it won't be something connected to the Palestinian/Israeli issue or the IRA it will be some link with some more recent terror group and terror activities against British/European citizens in recent years. I have no idea whether there is such a link, but I wouldn't bet against it.
    Hoping this cleans up the nesting.

Don't think "tipping point", think "straw that breaks the camel's back": the thing that finally fells Corbyn doesn't have to be weightier than its predecessors, it can be the same or even much lighter - cumulative effect is the key.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited August 2018
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

"We will all go together when we go, / Every Hottentot and every Eskimo. / When the air becomes uranious / We will all go simultaneous. / Yes, we'll all go together when we go."

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs
    Very good. Musical comedy used to be a lot more prolific than in more recent times. As a child of the late ‘70s I remember the likes of Stilgoe and Skellern, Victoria Wood, Weird Al Yankovic, and later Bill Bailey and Tim Minchin.

Sounds like a fun project to dig out old stuff next time there’s a rainy day at a test match...
    Let’s start with Lehrer and Flanders & Swann and see how far down the rabbit hole we go!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Cyclefree said:

That answer above is very similar in its self-delusion. People simply cannot bear to believe that Corbyn is a flawed human being and has made some misjudgments so they will seek to change the reality.

I can almost understand it when it's personal, like family, but for a bloody politician you don't really know it make no sense at all to me. Admit it, move on, find a new hero if you must.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Great piece Ms @Cyclefree. When the instinct of an institution is to immediately try and cover up rather than apologise and learn from mistakes, then the institution itself becomes devalued over time. The covering up often works for a while, but eventually the dam bursts and the consequences are usually more serious than if the original misdemeanours were dealt with properly.

(Whenever this subject comes up I think of Tim Minchin’s rather rude “Pope Song”, which uses some very bad but entirely justifiable language in its criticism of the Catholic Church).

iPad - wait for the new release next month and see if you can pick up last year’s models cheaper. The newer ones are noticeably faster than the old ones, go to a store and have a play with a display model. Also, if you’re travelling get one duty free (but not at UK end, they mark them up massively).

I’m a great fan of Tim Minchen but I don’t think that he matched The Vatican Rag. When I was a child my dad used to put me out of the room when that came on his tapes. Much more innocent times of course.
    vatican rag youtube
    Tom Lehrer? Not heard that before (I’m a little younger!) but very good and with fewer F-bombs than the Pope Song ;)
    Tom Lehrer is just great. (I wanted to post more, but I can't elaborate or improve on 'just great')
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

Corbyn taking on Israeli PM saying his accusations are false.

Ramping up the story

Corbyn is in his comfort zone at last attacking Israel.
    What feels - possibly - different is that these stories from the past are coming out now and there seem to be a lot of them. Is it because there is nothing else to talk about? Is someone releasing them? Or are papers emboldened because Mrs Hodge called him a racist and anti-semite and got away with it.
    Combination of both, I imagine. If it leads to a position change form him, for instance on the anti semitism definition stuff, it provides solace to those in the party who despair of him but don't want to leave, makes them think they are having an impact. Then things go back to normal.
    I spoke to the news editor at a news organisation socially a while back who said essentially they and others had mounting piles of this stuff, but it was very difficult to turn into a punchy newsy, easily explicable story that couldn't be dismissed as easily as past stories have.

The Mail story is a classic example. When The Times ran it going on Corbyn's Morning Star article last year, it didn't make huge waves. Corbyn denied it, said he was here for the airstrike victims and that was largely that - even his strident critics publicly gave him the benefit of the doubt, even if it all looked fishy. The Mail dug up the pictures, verified them, and it was 10 times more powerful because he couldn't deny it totally and you had the pictures. It'll be similar with the other various associations he's had over the years - get something that's not half-deniable and get the properly good story rather than the ten-a-penny "Corbyn likes hanging around with vile people" ones.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    MaxPB said:

Lol, it looks like Elon Musk is trying to make a couple of billion investment by the Saudis into $70bn. What a complete lunatic. Tesla might be a very valuable company with some excellent tech, Elon Musk isn't a good CEO. They need a proper manager to take over.

He's one part businessman, two parts showman and two parts snake oil salesman
  • Options
    Omnium said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

vatican rag youtube
    Tom Lehrer is just great. (I wanted to post more, but I can't elaborate or improve on 'just great')
    Meanwhile Edinburgh is full of “comedians” who think they’re funny because they swear on stage.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

MJW said:

Well

Don't think "tipping point", think "straw that breaks the camel's back": the thing that finally fells Corbyn doesn't have to be weightier than its predecessors, it can be the same or even much lighter - cumulative effect is the key.
    There has to be - simply has to be - someone in Labour who is just as Corbynite as Corbyn, who would not face all the issues he faces. I understand he also brings a personal level of grandfatherly appeal, but once Brexit is done surely even Corbyn will have to consider if someone like him but not him could better secure the left wing future he wants for the party and country? He's opened to door, but that doesn't mean he can get through it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Poisoning Pigeons In The Park was my party piece for my nephews and nieces when they were younger. They were horrified and amused at the same time.

Tom Lehrer is still alive.
  • Options

He's one part businessman, two parts showman and two parts snake oil salesman

Surely 1 quarter business, 2 quarters showman, and 3 quarters snake oil salesman :smile:
  • Options

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

LBC is a London based radio station.

London voted 60% Remain. Swing to Leave in London?
    No, LBC may be based in London but can be heard anywhere via digital radio. To assume only people from London voted in the poll would be erroneous.

So it's a voodoo poll?
    Golden Sunil Oldie:

Did you hear about the psephologist from Warsaw wot moved to Haiti?

He became a Voodoo Pole!

(I thank you!)
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:
    All this has brought to light some quite recent moral gymnastics from Corbyn's circle, like this article published by Stop The War in 2014 that says the Munich "hostages were killed accidentally by the attackers".

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924090937/http://stopwar.org.uk/news/the-missing-facts-of-the-1972-munich-olympics-massacre-israelis-weren-t-the-only-victims
    I remember the attack on the Israeli athletes at Munich back in 1972.
    I was twelve at the time and really interested in sport.It was a despicable act.It seemed to me as a young boy at the time to be badly handled by the West German Government and all the Olympic authorities.

It was hard to imagine ,that the 1972 Olympics could continue.
    All the documentaries , I have seen since, confirm that opinion.

Jeremy Corbyn needs to step down.

• Options
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

I can almost understand it when it's personal, like family, but for a bloody politician you don't really know it make no sense at all to me. Admit it, move on, find a new hero if you must.
    They feel invested in him so he can't be flawed.
  • Options
    I really can’t be bothered debating Corbyn any more. Anyone still supporting him is so morally degenerate that there are insufficient points of reference to make the conversation meaningful.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

MJW said:

Well

There has to be - simply has to be - someone in Labour who is just as Corbynite as Corbyn, who would not face all the issues he faces. I understand he also brings a personal level of grandfatherly appeal, but once Brexit is done surely even Corbyn will have to consider if someone like him but not him could better secure the left wing future he wants for the party and country? He's opened to door, but that doesn't mean he can get through it.
    Well, exactly. But as it’s a cult, they won’t even accept that.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:
    All this has brought to light some quite recent moral gymnastics from Corbyn's circle, like this article published by Stop The War in 2014 that says the Munich "hostages were killed accidentally by the attackers".

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924090937/http://stopwar.org.uk/news/the-missing-facts-of-the-1972-munich-olympics-massacre-israelis-weren-t-the-only-victims
    I remember the attack on the Israeli athletes at Munich back in 1972.
    I was twelve at the time and really interested in sport.It was a despicable act.It seemed to me as a young boy at the time to be badly handled by the West German Government and all the Olympic authorities.

It was hard to imagine ,that the 1972 Olympics could continue.
    All the documentaries , I have seen since, confirm that opinion.

Jeremy Corbyn needs to step down.

I was in Germany at the time. Certainly on the British army base people were just stunned it went on and there was a lot of muttering about why didn’t they let the SAS deal with it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I really can’t be bothered debating Corbyn any more. Anyone still supporting him is so morally degenerate that there are insufficient points of reference to make the conversation meaningful.

The craziest thing is the cult will go absolutely bonkers at any non-woke comments by anybody, but their hero can literally do nothing that they won’t limbo dance to support.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Corbyn is never wrong. Made the trains run on time. Saviour of his people.

https://twitter.com/ClaudiaWebbe/status/1029096911838556161
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Scott_P said:
    Well Omarosa did the US version just after she got sacked from the White House so why not? But surely C5 couldn't afford Stormy Daniels for 3 weeks?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Poisoning Pigeons In The Park was my party piece for my nephews and nieces when they were younger. They were horrified and amused at the same time.

Tom Lehrer is still alive.
    What a cool chap he is then. I shall consult Lobachevsky's works, but if I can give him 11/10 I would.

• Options
    brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:
    Well Omarosa did the US version just after she got sacked from the White House so why not? But surely C5 couldn't afford Stormy Daniels for 3 weeks?
    There was a rumour C5 were getting Noel Edmonds as well as Stormy Daniels. This appears not to be the case, and for that reason, I'm out.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/ClaudiaWebbe/status/1029096911838556161

It’s the deep state ....one degree of separation from Alex jones.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited August 2018
    dr_spyn said:

If Corbyn killed someone with his own hands they'd say it must have been for a noble reason and that to criticise him was disrespectful to the victim's family.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

surely C5 couldn't afford Stormy Daniels for 3 weeks?

What are her rates?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Not as surprising as most people appear to think. LBJ was a Democrat as - more recently - was Lloyd Bentsen. Anne Richards was Democrat Governor before Bush too.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Or learn to live without heroes, which is - in part - the point of my header. Heroes are for Disney films not real life. Humans - even the best of us - are flawed. Admire people, by all means, but never put them on a pedestal.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Not as surprising as most people appear to think. LBJ was a Democrat as - more recently - was Lloyd Bentsen. Anne Richards was Democrat Governor before Bush too.
    I don’t think that there has been a Democratic Senator from Texas since 1993. Which is quite a long time now.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

As predicted, he's loving that Netanyahu has gotten involved. Puts him on some strong territory from his perspective.
    Does Corbyn also stand for the equal rights of Jewish people in the Middle East outside Israel? Most of them won't even let Jewish Israelis into the country as tourists?

At least you can protest in Israel against your government - cos it's a democracy!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/ClaudiaWebbe/status/1029096911838556161

It’s the deep state ....one degree of separation from Alex jones.
    that's 'dip' not 'deep'
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Very good. Musical comedy used to be a lot more prolific than in more recent times. As a child of the late ‘70s I remember the likes of Stilgoe and Skellern, Victoria Wood, Weird Al Yankovic, and later Bill Bailey and Tim Minchin.

Sounds like a fun project to dig out old stuff next time there’s a rainy day at a test match...
    Let’s start with Lehrer and Flanders & Swann and see how far down the rabbit hole we go!
    I love both of those. Richard Stilgoe’s son, Jo, is also performing and is excellent. He was at the Ulverston music festival this year and my daughter was so impressed she promptly went out and bought his CDs. Music and comedy go very well together. It’s nice to see the tradition being revived a bit.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MJW said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

politician.
    Well
    Steven Spielberg did make a pretty big blockbuster about Operation Wrath of God not so long ago. . There isn't one this time and each incident uses up some credit outside his core base.

I agree in terms of some (maybe quite a lot) of Corbyn's support but it's not uniform. There are roughly speaking four groups, all with different thresholds. There's the genuine cultists - who wouldn't abandon him even if he got caught in flagrante with Maggie Thatcher's corpse. No hope there. Then there's the overly invested (think Owen Jones) who are capable of independent rational thought but have now bought so many shares in Corbynism that they won't sell until the stock really is in free fall (at which point expect reverse ferrets, but not until it's clear Corbyn really is fucked). Then there's the sceptical loyalists - who support Corbyn but don't necessarily take the party line on everything and have been known to criticise him before largely accepting his excuses or explanations (think the younger Momentumers). Finally the reluctant converts - Labour loyalists through-and-through who were initially anti-Corbyn because they thought him unelectable but who've got on board since 2017 as he is the only game in town and they see their duty to be loyal to the Labour leader even if privately they have their misgivings. I'd suggest the latter two groups might be losing some patience and may be starting to think a way out might be preferable provided the right of the party is kept under lock and key in any succession contest.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited August 2018
    dr_spyn said:

Incredibly in the comments they say Boris is getting an easy ride in the press! Only in 2018 is saying that burqas look like a cross between a letterbox and balaclava equivalent to laying a wreath on the grave of murderers.

However also amusingly someone has photoshopped Corbyn with a tea tray into one of the photos.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited August 2018
    What is going on with block quote tonight?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    DavidL said:

justin124 said:

I don’t think that there has been a Democratic Senator from Texas since 1993. Which is quite a long time now.
    Well - that is not so far back given that Senators are elected for six years! The state also now appears to be trending towards the Democrats demographically.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    dr_spyn said:

I know as one of the many Corbyn nonfans on here any take of mine will not persuade someone that deeply in love with the idea of Jeremy Corbyn, but surely even people who do think Corbyn is a good and decent man would agree that a level of fervour that is close to deifying Corbyn is not healthy - does that person truly believe they know everything that Corbyn has ever said or done and therefore there is no possibility, ever, of him having done anything wrong and only deep state machinations can be behind any such accusations? That's beyond someone supporting Labour or even supporting Corbyn - millions of people do that, making rational or less than rational judgements about the issues as may be, same as anyone else - it's close to insanity.

I don't like thinking that about other people that way, it feels very judgemental and its not like I'm never wrong about things, nor can anyone pretend that sometimes people do get carried away attacking Corbyn, but when you see stuff like that and their US equivalents among Trump supporters, it's just so bizarre.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,028
    Scott_P said:

kingbongo said:

That's exactly why DEC went bust - refused to release hardware that wasn't perfectly engineered - got steamrollered as the world had changed

Also played a significant role in the demise of Nortel
    And Acorn. Then again, they did give us ARM, so they sorta live on ...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Or learn to live without heroes, which is - in part - the point of my header. Heroes are for Disney films not real life. Humans - even the best of us - are flawed. Admire people, by all means, but never put them on a pedestal.
    Heroes can be flawed people. A hero is someone who achieves something great, not someone who is perfect. We live in an era of no heroes. There just isn't any need for someone to rise up and be great. Even the crisis of our time (brexit) is mostly technical and boring. The wars have been won, every corner of the world discovered and the people are more interested in what happens on love island than anything real.
  • Options

Test
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Test
    Looks fine.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

You may regret this, because it's an extraordinarily rich seam in British comedy. There's Pam Ayres, Stanley Holloway, Max Boyce, George Formby, Jasper Carrott, Mike Harding, Billy Connolly...

It's kind of a lost era. In popular memory the Seventies club comics - a song, a tuxedo, some casual racism - segued seamlessly into alternative comedy, with Oxbridge degrees and Tories out, yah? But coexisting and entirely overlooked by history were the folk scene, the pub scene, the regional telly folk, and they were good and occasionally brilliant.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

justin124 said:

Almost as long since the Tories last won a working majority
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Incredibly in the comments they say Boris is getting an easy ride in the press! Only in 2018 is saying that burqas look like a cross between a letterbox and balaclava equivalent to laying a wreath on the grave of murderers.

However also amusingly someone has photoshopped Corbyn with a tea tray into one of the photos.
    That's a relief. Otherwise we'd have to wonder why there were tea-trays trying to edge into Corbyn snaps by looking smart and intelligent all the time. Photoshop! Of course! Just need to worry about any stray in-shot woodwork now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

No, that was only 3 years ago, hard as it is to believe.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

I agree with that. In addition, many people make heroes of themselves, and think: "aren't I awesome, aren't I brilliant!" Or, applicably, "I'm not a racist."

The problems come when they don't question that: if they are called out on, say, being a racist, then they automatically say: "Rubbish. I'm not a racist." In many cases the accusation will be wrong, but in some there might be a point, which they will disregard because they know it's not true. And then the cancer spreads.

In other words, "Don't believe your own press. Especially when you create that press."
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Test
    Looks fine.
    People need to realise that if it's fucked it stays fucked unless you manually fix it. Never reinforce failure.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    kingbongo said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

I have two Transtec PCs. One is over 20 years old and has needed a memory upgrade and the other is about 15 years old, seriously hunky, and with a quad core processor. I do pretty big calculations on the latter, bomb-proof and unfazed. Oh, and I use a ten quid mobile. Am I missing something in life? Transtec seems to have ceased trading. Their stuff was too good I guess.

The idea of a computer company going out of business because it’s stuff was too good is delightfully counter intuitive.
    Heh. It all depends on one's definition of "goodness" (see Prof Joad) . I suspect that my definition may be out of phase with the majority.
    That's exactly why DEC went bust - refused to release hardware that wasn't perfectly engineered - got steamrollered as the world had changed - mind you by letting Dave Cutler go off and rewrite VMS Ken Olsen got his revenge on the world by inflicting Windows NT on everyone.
    The same Windows NT that is the basis of both Windows 10 and Windows server (and in fact every Windows operating system since Windows ME)..
  • Options

Seems OK
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

The Labour hasn't had 300 MPs or more since 2010.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, while I'm here, here is a clip of arguably Britain's greatest comedian banging on about the National Anthem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ
  • Options

Seems OK
    And @kle4 Some of the posts aren’t formatting properly (there’s replies within the part where there should be quotes).
  • Options
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

Well - that is not so far back given that Senators are elected for six years! The state also now appears to be trending towards the Democrats demographically.
    Given they are only elected one at a time that is 8 elections on the bounce for the GOP. If someone with the profile of Ted Cruz is in trouble we just might see a wave election after all.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Cyclefree said:

I agree in terms of some (maybe quite a lot) of Corbyn's support but it's not uniform. There are roughly speaking four groups, all with different thresholds. There's the genuine cultists - who wouldn't abandon him even if he got caught in flagrante with Maggie Thatcher's corpse. No hope there. Then there's the overly invested (think Owen Jones) who are capable of independent rational thought but have now bought so many shares in Corbynism that they won't sell until the stock really is in free fall (at which point expect reverse ferrets, but not until it's clear Corbyn really is fucked). Then there's the sceptical loyalists - who support Corbyn but don't necessarily take the party line on everything and have been known to criticise him before largely accepting his excuses or explanations (think the younger Momentumers). Finally the reluctant converts - Labour loyalists through-and-through who were initially anti-Corbyn because they thought him unelectable but who've got on board since 2017 as he is the only game in town and they see their duty to be loyal to the Labour leader even if privately they have their misgivings. I'd suggest the latter two groups might be losing some patience and may be starting to think a way out might be preferable provided the right of the party is kept under lock and key in any succession contest.
    Blockquote rescue.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

I love both of those. Richard Stilgoe’s son, Jo, is also performing and is excellent. He was at the Ulverston music festival this year and my daughter was so impressed she promptly went out and bought his CDs. Music and comedy go very well together. It’s nice to see the tradition being revived a bit.
    This is clever too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyU5hxa3hKw
  • Options

Seems OK
    And @kle4 Some of the posts aren’t formatting properly (there’s replies within the part where there should be quotes).
    It is because someone has mangled the code while deleting bits of the subthread in order to get round a "message is n characters too long" - it is purely user error, in other words. Top tip: just snip content, leave the tags alone. Better still, work out the extremely straightforward nesting system and delete entire comments to leave just the most recent couple.
  • Options
    eek said:

kingbongo said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

The same Windows NT that is the basis of both Windows 10 and Windows server (and in fact every Windows operating system since Windows ME)..
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Microsoft Windows is one of the engineering wonders of the world. The sheer number of platforms they have to make it work on, and the number of hardware configurations, is incredible. And yet it mostly works. I can change my display, my memory, my GPU, even my processor, and it will still work.

In comparison, Apple (or a couple of places I worked) control the hardware, and that reduces the software complexity by orders of magnitude. It is so much easier to efficiently target known hardware.

MS could make it easier for themselves by removing more backwards compatibility as well. How can i load a game from 20 years ago and have it run It's frigging awesome.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Ishmael_Z said:

Seems OK
    It is because someone has mangled the code while deleting bits of the subthread in order to get round a "message is n characters too long" - it is purely user error, in other words. Top tip: just snip content, leave the tags alone. Better still, work out the extremely straightforward nesting system and delete entire comments to leave just the most recent couple.
    I always keep the outer quote, just delete everything from the second blockquote to the penultimate /blockquote.

Perhaps we should have a demo session at the next PB meet up. :p
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

No, that was only 3 years ago, hard as it is to believe.
    OGH argues 1987 but I think that’s specious.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Seems OK
    Make sure the message begins "blockquote class=" and ends "/blockquote".

(bits in speech marks should have < and > either side.
  • Options
    I rarely post here in these dark days but I would just like to thank Cyclefree for a very insightful piece for PB discussion. I hope Jeremy will have his "pauline" conversion to oppose Brexit or resign soon or else the Labour Party and the UK are well and truly fecked.
  • Options
    Goupillon said:

I rarely post here in these dark days but I would just like to thank Cyclefree for a very insightful piece for PB discussion. I hope Jeremy will have his "pauline" conversion to oppose Brexit or resign soon or else the Labour Party and the UK are well and truly fecked.

Labour though haven't ripped themselves up on the weird divergences in their views. The Tories have created a firestorm over much less.

There's clearly something in the thought that Labour have become just a not-Tory party and thus have a policy vacuum.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Ishmael_Z said:

Seems OK
    Still easy to mess up when using a tablet - which reminds me that I really ought to apologise to all those whose posts I’ve marked as off topic by accident....
  • Options
    Did anybody else hear Corbyn condemn all "antisemitic languages" today?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

I know as one of the many Corbyn nonfans on here any take of mine will not persuade someone that deeply in love with the idea of Jeremy Corbyn, but surely even people who do think Corbyn is a good and decent man would agree that a level of fervour that is close to deifying Corbyn is not healthy - does that person truly believe they know everything that Corbyn has ever said or done and therefore there is no possibility, ever, of him having done anything wrong and only deep state machinations can be behind any such accusations? That's beyond someone supporting Labour or even supporting Corbyn - millions of people do that, making rational or less than rational judgements about the issues as may be, same as anyone else - it's close to insanity.

I don't like thinking that about other people that way, it feels very judgemental and its not like I'm never wrong about things, nor can anyone pretend that sometimes people do get carried away attacking Corbyn, but when you see stuff like that and their US equivalents among Trump supporters, it's just so bizarre.
    “Jeremy Corbyn’s entire political life is based on pursuit of peace, fairness & justice...”
    such hyperbolic panegyrics make him sound like a Soviet era dictator.
This discussion has been closed.