Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Brexit speech isn’t going to endear him to large part

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Thanks to Tory psychosis about Europe, we're now heading full steam towards a hard left Labour government and no EU free market and competition rules to restrain them.

So thanks for that.

It was the public who voted for it, and 52% of the voting electorate are not tories. Tories didn't create that 52%, they're just the biggest bunch in it.
    The Tories mis-framed the referendum, failed to plan for a Leave vote, pissed about for 2 years arguing amongst themselves and have made an absolute horlicks of negotiating our exit.

I don't think you'll find the electorate blaming themselves!
    Never said they would. The Tories are in office, and have handled it badly due to party infighting, so will pay the price. But they didn't start it.
    That's precisely what they did do!
    No they didn't. They didn't create the public desire to leave that built and built to the point they felt they needed to give us a choice. The main party wanted us to make a different choice, but people from across the spectrum said otherwise.

To pretend the tories created the Brexit push is to give them too much influence. They opened a door, but they didn't make it and we chose, against advice, to walk through. While the Gov will of course be blamed for bad implementation, the public chose Brexit, not the tories.
    A fair proportion of the public chose PPI - whose fault was that?
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Anyone who is surprised by this speech from Corbyn doesn't know what Labour's left is actually all about. The looney left/hard left stereotype is pretty much the creation of the right wing tabloids. I'd personally pick the Blairite version of Labour given the choice, but Corbyn's approach isn't off the scale crazy as it often portrayed.

Allying with Hezbollah, the IRA, Hamas and Putin is completely off the scale crazy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,073
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Incidentally, this is a rather fine and shocking piece by Toby Young (an old acquaintance of mine).

It's Toby Young, though. A *world class* knob head.

Like us, he's spent a signifant proportion of his life trolling on the internet. Unlike us, though, he demanded to be taken seriously. That's where he went wrong.
    I personally know Toby Young pretty well. He was a boorish if sometimes amusing drunk in his 20s, and a laddish but sometimes eloquent loafer in his 30s, in others words, quite like me, or you? We've all done and said stupid shit.

Since then I have met him and corresponded with him quite a few times, and (you can believe me or not) he has sincerely transformed into a thoughtful, hardworking, imaginative, and determined reformer on all kinds of educational matters. He's had success and failure, but he really means it, and he REALLY knows what he's talking about on lots of this stuff.

He personally gave me very good and kind advice when I had a painful, difficult family/educational decision to make. He took time to help me.

He's a nice guy, now. And very smart. He'd have been a good diverse voice on that board.

Instead, his talents are thrown aside and his reputation trashed because of some stupid tweets and the mere fact he's rightwing. It's ridiculous and sad. And it's now happening to the left as well:

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1021436636750598144
    Time for the classic 'Would Noah forgive someone for the same thing if they were on the right/woukd his critics be mad at ome of their own saying it' test.

Personally, I don't think saying stupid, offensive things should see someone be an outcast forevermore. And you can only apologise so much. Woukd need to consider case by case.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    TOPPING said:

@MaxPB I think your four Tory MPs increases dramatically depending upon what power the brex-o-loons are able to grab.

A Mogg or even Boris takeover means it's all up for grabs.

The ERG won't even be able to get one of its own to the final round let alone win the members' ballot. They will back whichever candidate is most Leave-y.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

Has pushmepullme Jezza Brexit pulled itself a teeny bit too much in one direction?

He must think there will be a general election within months. Well, October - November or February - March.
    I would have thought this would cause him serious problems at an election. It puts him firmly in the Leaver camp. Now of course, everyone who's paid attention knows he's been there all his life already. But that doesn't include most voters, who just knew he was less Brexit-oriented than May and voted accordingly.

It's reckless politics as he can't really outbid May with Leavers, while even a modest seepage to the Liberal Democrats, Greens and SNP would see him haemorrhage seats, including to the Tories on a split vote.

For that very reason, I would suggest this means it's more likely that he's concluded there isn't going to be an imminent election, possibly not one while he's leader, and he can therefore come off the fence.
    The last election was held within a few weeks of Corbyn LITERALLY VOTING IN PARLIAMENT TO TRIGGER BREXIT. It's not clear to me how him saying he thinks Britain should get first dibs on contracts is going to put him "more firmly in the Leave camp" than that did.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    In a world which has never been more uncertain, the absolute certainty of posters here on future political outcomes strikes a reassuring note. One can't help thinking of the Bourbons: they learn nothing but forget nothing.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Incidentally, this is a rather fine and shocking piece by Toby Young (an old acquaintance of mine).

Like us, he's spent a signifant proportion of his life trolling on the internet. Unlike us, though, he demanded to be taken seriously. That's where he went wrong.
    I personally know Toby Young pretty well. He was a boorish if sometimes amusing drunk in his 20s, and a laddish but sometimes eloquent loafer in his 30s, in others words, quite like me, or you? We've all done and said stupid shit.

Since then I have met him and corresponded with him quite a few times, and (you can believe me or not) he has sincerely transformed into a thoughtful, hardworking, imaginative, and determined reformer on all kinds of educational matters. He's had success and failure, but he really means it, and he REALLY knows what he's talking about on lots of this stuff.

He personally gave me very good and kind advice when I had a painful, difficult family/educational decision to make. He took time to help me.

He's a nice guy, now. And very smart. He'd have been a good diverse voice on that board.

Instead, his talents are thrown aside and his reputation trashed because of some stupid tweets and the mere fact he's rightwing. It's ridiculous and sad. And it's now happening to the left as well:

I have qualified sympathy for him (qualified, as he clearly was a complete knob some time ago, and also since I don't know enough about him to make an informed comment/judgment on his current problems).

If people can't be allowed and/or expected to change, it would be to the huge detriment of society.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Thanks to Tory psychosis about Europe, we're now heading full steam towards a hard left Labour government and no EU free market and competition rules to restrain them.

So thanks for that.

It was the public who voted for it, and 52% of the voting electorate are not tories. Tories didn't create that 52%, they're just the biggest bunch in it.
    The Tories mis-framed the referendum, failed to plan for a Leave vote, pissed about for 2 years arguing amongst themselves and have made an absolute horlicks of negotiating our exit.

Never said they would. The Tories are in office, and have handled it badly due to party infighting, so will pay the price. But they didn't start it.
    That's precisely what they did do!
    No they didn't. They didn't create the public desire to leave that built and built to the point they felt they needed to give us a choice. The main party wanted us to make a different choice, but people from across the spectrum said otherwise.

To pretend the tories created the Brexit push is to give them too much influence. They opened a door, but they didn't make it and we chose, against advice, to walk through. While the Gov will of course be blamed for bad implementation, the public chose Brexit, not the tories.
    A fair proportion of the public chose PPI - whose fault was that?
    I don't know, it's a stupid comparison.

I'm not saying the tories, as government, don't deserve to take the hit for handling this all badly. But to pretend they created the whole situation ascribes more power and control to them than they have, and is just pretending there's a sole villain. They rid a wave that existed, and will now be drowned by it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,010
    surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

I was aware that he was forced to step down from the QAUNGO role, because of the monstering he got on Twitter and elsewhere.

I was unaware that as a consequence he lost ALL his positions, and his entire career was ruined, overnight. Just astonishing. And sobering. Whether you are on the left OR the right, these lynchings are horrible. They need to STOP.

https://quillette.com/2018/07/23/the-public-humiliation-diet/

Why ? He deserved everything.
    What did he do to deserve that?
    By being a pillock ?
    That's grounds for him losing his livelihood?
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2018
    Starmer says there was no mention of Northern Ireland in Raab’s statement. He says that is a gaping hole.

He says Raab is now threatening to withdrawal payments from the EU. But Philip Hammond, the chancellor, said that was not a credible position. The UK was a country that pays its debts, Hammond said.

Starmer asks which position is the goverment’s - Raab’s or Hammond’s?

- The Guardian

On point, I don't think the EU side ever committed that there would be a FTA after the UK leaves. It is Britain which always assumed that there will be one.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Has pushmepullme Jezza Brexit pulled itself a teeny bit too much in one direction?

He must think there will be a general election within months. Well, October - November or February - March.
    I would have thought this would cause him serious problems at an election. It puts him firmly in the Leaver camp. Now of course, everyone who's paid attention knows he's been there all his life already. But that doesn't include most voters, who just knew he was less Brexit-oriented than May and voted accordingly.

It's reckless politics as he can't really outbid May with Leavers, while even a modest seepage to the Liberal Democrats, Greens and SNP would see him haemorrhage seats, including to the Tories on a split vote.

For that very reason, I would suggest this means it's more likely that he's concluded there isn't going to be an imminent election, possibly not one while he's leader, and he can therefore come off the fence.
    The last election was held within a few weeks of Corbyn LITERALLY VOTING IN PARLIAMENT TO TRIGGER BREXIT. It's not clear to me how him saying he thinks Britain should get first dibs on contracts is going to put him "more firmly in the Leave camp" than that did.
    Most of them voted to trigger it, it hasn't prevented plenty who did, tory and labour, from being called remainers still.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

I'm sure we'll hear all about it in JRMs memoirs - Moggster's munificent musings.

"The Naked Papist"
    Every Mogg has his May
    Very good!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

And why, this time, woukd people think differently? Because of a speech? The tories will advertise Corbyn is no Remainer as well?

I should think most remainers aren't going anywhere. Better Brexit under Corbyn than may I woukd think.
    They might think, 'better a Brexit under a Corbyn government constrained by the Liberal Democrats.'

Which would be disastrous for Labour. A few hundred votes vanishing in the wrong seats would see the Conservatives regain a majority.
    Except an early GE probably means either the Tories are split, or more likely simply in chaotic free fall. Corbyn has a much easier time of it then.
    Well, they are split. So are Labour. So are the SNP. The only major party in Parliament that isn't in a complete muddle are the Greens, and they're so off the wall nobody would be able to tell if they were. But there is no sign of the government collapsing at this stage although May will surely not make it much past Christmas.

That's why I think this clarification is made on the assumption there will not be an election. If there is, he's given a hostage to fortune now.
    When did the SNP split , big news?????? Not apparent up here at all , hav eyou been down the pub.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

I was aware that he was forced to step down from the QAUNGO role, because of the monstering he got on Twitter and elsewhere.

I was unaware that as a consequence he lost ALL his positions, and his entire career was ruined, overnight. Just astonishing. And sobering. Whether you are on the left OR the right, these lynchings are horrible. They need to STOP.

Why ? He deserved everything.
    What did he do to deserve that?
    By being a pillock ?
    That's grounds for him losing his livelihood?
    Are there restrictions on him from finding work ? He is not getting work because people do not want to employ him. Whose fault is that ?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Afternoon all :)

Presumably all those "Freedom Day" parties pencilled in for 29/3/19 will have to be postponed until 31/12/20 when we might actually possibly perhaps be free.

On any "new party" 2/3 of those who signed up to the SDP in its first week had never been in ANY political party. It's not just about "defectors" it's about energising new activists and members to come into politics which must be a positive thing.

Interesting responses to Corbyn's speech - I'm a little unclear whether he is opposed to UK manufacturing jobs being carried out by foreign labour in the UK or manufacturing jobs going to cheaper foreign factories. It's the old argument of quality over cost.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I have qualified sympathy for him (qualified, as he clearly was a complete knob some time ago, and also since I don't know enough about him to make an informed comment/judgment on his current problems).

If people can't be allowed and/or expected to change, it would be to the huge detriment of society.
    On the other hand, some people are just knobs who like to be controversial, and secretly enjoy when people argue with them. They pretend to change, but will say anything that gets them talked about. They enjoy this sort of attention, and in the meantime they stir discord and even hatred.

But it doesn't matter, because they've got attention.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Most of them voted to trigger it, it hasn't prevented plenty who did, tory and labour, from being called remainers still.
    Well, yes, but I just find the idea weird that there are Remain voters out there who would be sanguine about him voting to formally start Brexit negotiations, yet would be horribly offended by his comparatively minor Brexit proposals today.

It's almost as if the public isn't as obsessed by Brexit as the political commentariat is.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

On the other hand, some people are just knobs who like to be controversial, and secretly enjoy when people argue with them. They pretend to change, but will say anything that gets them talked about. They enjoy this sort of attention, and in the meantime they stir discord and even hatred.

But it doesn't matter, because they've got attention.
    cf Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

On the other hand, some people are just knobs who like to be controversial, and secretly enjoy when people argue with them. They pretend to change, but will say anything that gets them talked about. They enjoy this sort of attention, and in the meantime they stir discord and even hatred....
    There is always another hand - but if not in full possession of the facts, I favour the biblical injunction 'judge not, lest ye be judged'.

Anyway, got things to do.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

And why, this time, woukd people think differently? Because of a speech? The tories will advertise Corbyn is no Remainer as well?

I should think most remainers aren't going anywhere. Better Brexit under Corbyn than may I woukd think.
    They might think, 'better a Brexit under a Corbyn government constrained by the Liberal Democrats.'

Which would be disastrous for Labour. A few hundred votes vanishing in the wrong seats would see the Conservatives regain a majority.
    Except an early GE probably means either the Tories are split, or more likely simply in chaotic free fall. Corbyn has a much easier time of it then.
    Well, they are split. So are Labour. So are the SNP. The only major party in Parliament that isn't in a complete muddle are the Greens, and they're so off the wall nobody would be able to tell if they were. But there is no sign of the government collapsing at this stage although May will surely not make it much past Christmas.

That's why I think this clarification is made on the assumption there will not be an election. If there is, he's given a hostage to fortune now.
    When did the SNP split , big news?????? Not apparent up here at all , hav eyou been down the pub.
    Sadly, not yet, although I am hoping to ferment the turnips you have obligingly thrown at me to make a potent wine so the world looks sane again.

I think you will find the SNP also have many positions on Brexit - as I recall Sillars is a sceptic - and there is some evidence hat their voters have many views as well:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/06/07/brexit-has-created-new-divide-snp-study-finds-ahead-party-conference/

Their splits are of course much less serious and less public than those in the Tories or even Labour. But they're there all right.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

It's because a lot of Labour Remainers have been self-deceiving themselves that Corbyn is "secretly" one of their own. They say to each other "he's playing the long game". Or "he really wants us to stay but wants to bring down this Tory Brexit government first", etc etc

Now Corbyn has ripped away the last reasons to believe any of this bollocks.

Will it hurt him? Dunno.

I STILL don't think he could win a GE, in the end he is too extreme, but in these weird times..

I must work.
    Frankly, a lot of Labour supporters are in massive self-deceive mode about Corbyn and his crew.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

Henry James on London. Still true today IMO:

“It is difficult to speak adequately or justly of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or cheerful, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent. You can draw up a tremendous list of reasons why it should be insupportable. The fogs, the smoke, the dirt, the darkness, the wet, the distances, the ugliness, the brutal size of the place, the horrible numerosity of society, the manner in which this senseless bigness is fatal to amenity, to convenience, to conversation, to good manners – all this and much more you may expatiate upon. You may call it dreary, heavy, stupid, dull, inhuman, vulgar at heart and tiresome in form. [...] But these are occasional moods; and for one who takes it as I take it, London is on the whole the most possible form of life. [...] It is the biggest aggregation of human life – the most complete compendium of the world.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/709535-it-is-difficult-to-speak-adequately-or-justly-of-london
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited July 2018
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Well, yes, but I just find the idea weird that there are Remain voters out there who would be sanguine about him voting to formally start Brexit negotiations, yet would be horribly offended by his comparatively minor Brexit proposals today.

It's almost as if the public isn't as obsessed by Brexit as the political commentariat is.
    I think that your average Remain supporter in 2017 could see that the Lib Dems were still in a coma following their traumatic experience of Coalition, and that a Leave supporting Corbyn was the only means by which they could prevent Theresa May from winning a landslide majority to "crush the saboteurs".

A 10% swing from Labour to the Lib Dems on 2017 (using Electoral Calculus) would give the Tories a majority of 72 (not quite a landslide, but more than handy) and the true EU believer Lib Dems the grand total of 20 seats.

EDIT: My point being that it's conceivable that many Remain voters supported Corbyn in 2017 only for a fairly narrow purpose, and if that purpose is no longer relevant, then their support also ceases.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    ydoethur said:

Sadly, not yet, although I am hoping to ferment the turnips you have obligingly thrown at me to make a potent wine so the world looks sane again.

I think you will find the SNP also have many positions on Brexit - as I recall Sillars is a sceptic - and there is some evidence hat their voters have many views as well:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/06/07/brexit-has-created-new-divide-snp-study-finds-ahead-party-conference/

Their splits are of course much less serious and less public than those in the Tories or even Labour. But they're there all right.

Sillars hasn't stood for elected office for 26 years and it's unclear whether he's even a member of the SNP nowadays. In other news, Pete Best may have opinions on The Beatles' oeuvre.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited July 2018
    * * HOSTAGE TO FORTUNE ALERT * *

Corbyn said "The next Labour government will bring contracts back in-house, ending the racket of outsourcing that has turned our public services into a cash cow for the few. And we will use the huge weight of the government’s purchasing power to support our workers and industries."

Maybe he should have words with Gordon Brown. PFI, etc.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/url-jeremy-corbyn-brexit-economic-labour-party-cheap-labour-migrants-eu-a8460696.html
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,161
    surby said:
    He’s now the Minister for Educating The Public About No Deal.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    surby said:
    Neutered and humiliated, I'd say.

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    surby said:
    Just in case he was labouring under the misapprehension his input was required, May is making it absolutely sure that Raab knows that it is not.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,010

twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/1021753031518564352?s=21

Assuming direct control!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

It's because a lot of Labour Remainers have been self-deceiving themselves that Corbyn is "secretly" one of their own. They say to each other "he's playing the long game". Or "he really wants us to stay but wants to bring down this Tory Brexit government first", etc etc

Will it hurt him? Dunno.

I STILL don't think he could win a GE, in the end he is too extreme, but in these weird times..

I must work.
    Frankly, a lot of Labour supporters are in massive self-deceive mode about Corbyn and his crew.

In an FPTP system you choose the least worst option. As long as the Tories are perceived to be more extreme than Labour on Brexit, then most Remainers will stick with Labour because only Labour can beat the Tories.

Any Remainer who ever thought that Corbyn was on their side was not listening very hard.

• Options
    RobD said:

Assuming direct control!
    More like giving total control to Remainer Robbins. Now I know for sure that we'll get a completely crap deal with Chequers watered down even further and not possible to pass through Parliament. Robbins is no more than an EU stooge who will do whatever it takes to keep the UK in the EU.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Wow. Sounds as if Theresa is sending in a Cabinet Office task force to oversee the DExEU. Presumably DD knew it was an embarrassing fiasco and so quit in shame.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I dislike this damned humidity.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,862

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

Will it hurt him? Dunno.

I must work.

In an FPTP system you choose the least worst option. As long as the Tories are perceived to be more extreme than Labour on Brexit, then most Remainers will stick with Labour because only Labour can beat the Tories.

Any Remainer who ever thought that Corbyn was on their side was not listening very hard.

There are also those who whilst preferring to Remain accept Brexit, but prefer the Left Wing Brexit to the Right Wing one. Given a choice of a bonfire of workers and consumer protections, ripping up environmental standards and hostility to human rights, or choosing a Corbynite Brexit, then I am with the latter.

Do we want a Moggite "Bosses Brexit" or Corbynite "Workers Brexit"? I think the latter will go down better in distressed post industrial towns.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    For those who can bear to tear themselves away from the Brexit Groundhog Day, there' a nice political scandal across the channel.

macron's bodyguard beat the crap out of a protester and got caught doing it. Macron spun and wibbled to pretend nothing had happened but the denial has now left him looking shifty and back pedalling faster then Chris Froome facing a bag of urine.

The August recess cant come quickly enough.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/2018/07/24/25001-20180724ARTFIG00138-affaire-benalla-lr-va-deposer-une-motion-de-censure.php
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, sacre bleu!

I remember hearing the first part of that, but not the rest.
  • Options
    May regressing to type.

She was always a micro-manager and, presumably after seeing Raab jet off determined to make his mark on Brexit, has now reverted to being a micro-manager who will not brook such independence of spirit.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

On the other hand, some people are just knobs who like to be controversial, and secretly enjoy when people argue with them. They pretend to change, but will say anything that gets them talked about. They enjoy this sort of attention, and in the meantime they stir discord and even hatred....
    There is always another hand - but if not in full possession of the facts, I favour the biblical injunction 'judge not, lest ye be judged'.

Anyway, got things to do.
    Oh, indeed. But by the time someone is on their third or fourth semi-apology, and keeps on saying stuff designed to outrage, then perhaps it becomes time to judge.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, sacre bleu!

It's been rumbling on for nearly a week now much like the Ozil racism row in Germany.
    There is a world outside Brexit :-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005

Wow. Sounds as if Theresa is sending in a Cabinet Office task force to oversee the DExEU. Presumably DD knew it was an embarrassing fiasco and so quit in shame.
    Feels like the start of May's backpedalling in preparation so she can sign anything Barnier sticks in front of her nose.
  • Options
    I thought this was already the case. And all the better for all the cabinet to later put all blame on May.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The global slump in press freedom

Illiberal regimes are clamping down on independent media across the world"

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/07/23/the-global-slump-in-press-freedom
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Still, it gives the repairers another 18 months to get Big Ben working again.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

I would have thought this would cause him serious problems at an election. It puts him firmly in the Leaver

Will it hurt him? Dunno.

I must work.

There are also those who whilst preferring to Remain accept Brexit, but prefer the Left Wing Brexit to the Right Wing one. Given a choice of a bonfire of workers and consumer protections, ripping up environmental standards and hostility to human rights, or choosing a Corbynite Brexit, then I am with the latter.

Do we want a Moggite "Bosses Brexit" or Corbynite "Workers Brexit"? I think the latter will go down better in distressed post industrial towns.
    Both sound like meaningless soundbites . And presumably each would label the others' as something other than you've described.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

"In an FPTP system you choose the least worst option. As long as the Tories are perceived to be more extreme than Labour on Brexit, then most Remainers will stick with Labour because only Labour can beat the Tories.

Any Remainer who ever thought that Corbyn was on their side was not listening very hard."

This is very true Mr Observer. In our rather sad and negative system the party that demonstrates it is the least worse option normally does win. However, many will think that while the Tories have trashed their best card (the economy) by allowing their little Englander wing to wag the dog, their trashing of the economy is quite possibly likely to be less worse than a Comrade Corbyn government that offers no prospects of neutering the Brexit monster while simultaneously rogering the economy with a very large red-flagged flagpole
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, sacre bleu!

It's been rumbling on for nearly a week now much like the Ozil racism row in Germany.
    There is a world outside Brexit :-)
    Now I know you are kidding.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Assuming direct control!
    More like giving total control to Remainer Robbins. Now I know for sure that we'll get a completely crap deal with Chequers watered down even further and not possible to pass through Parliament. Robbins is no more than an EU stooge who will do whatever it takes to keep the UK in the EU.
    Robbins works for Theresa May.
    If you don't like what he is doing - the fault lies with Theresa.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    SeanT said:

That’s a very sad, but wonderfully well written and eloquent piece.

Hopefully the febrile online lynch mob will be tamed eventually, but it’s hard to see how it doesn’t get worse before it gets better. The question is what will it take for them to deflect their attention towards actual abusers, and away from satirical and self-deprecating writers?
  • Options

That sounds quite a metaphor. I wonder which side of the Brexit devide will try and claim the epithet "The Repairers"
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    May has politically owned Brexit since her Mansion House speech. Only now is she making sure she is at the head table in negotiations.

This also means there will be less time for No. 10 to spend on other things, including the normal firefighting on issues arising in the general course of events.

This increases the risk of things going wrong...
  • Options
    Mr. JS, the far left here keep banging on about clamping down on the print media in a way that hasn't been the case since the 17th century.

Mr. Sandpit, in more shrieking censorious news, there's a new bedwetting campaign to get Farage thrown out of LBC by pressurising sponsors.

It's led by Rik, the people's poet, who can see the far right (if the left think Farage is as bad as it gets I suspect they're in for a bloody rude awakening) whether it exists or not, but seems strangely reluctant to criticise the far left sitting on Labour's front bench.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1021712016002740225
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    So Raab’s just a minister of state then?

Downgrade his salary accordingly.

At the weekend he admitted he had no eye for detail. Like a lot of Brexiteers he’s good at the fantasy of Brexit not the reality of Brexit.

https://twitter.com/los_fisher/status/1020947108365467648?s=21

That said Theresa micro managing always turns out well.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Assuming direct control!
    Robbins works for Theresa May.
    If you don't like what he is doing - the fault lies with Theresa.
    I don't disagree with that, it's why I want her gone.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

That sounds quite a metaphor. I wonder which side of the Brexit devide will try and claim the epithet "The Repairers"
    We could still choose to not break things, just about. We haven’t left yet.
  • Options
    Project Fear from Leavers.

I’d call them the naughty c word but they have neither the depth nor the warmth.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Hopefully the febrile online lynch mob will be tamed eventually, but it’s hard to see how it doesn’t get worse before it gets better. The question is what will it take for them to deflect their attention towards actual abusers, and away from satirical and self-deprecating writers?
    It is a lynch mob, but looking at that DM front page and some of the tweets, and as Young himself accepts, I am not 100% sure I would want someone who is capable of making some of those comments in a position of influence in education.

I would repeat some of those tweets by way of illustration but I simply cannot as they are too offensive even to repeat to make a point.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

@MaxPB I think your four Tory MPs increases dramatically depending upon what power the brex-o-loons are able to grab.

The ERG won't even be able to get one of its own to the final round let alone win the members' ballot. They will back whichever candidate is most Leave-y.
    Who are your four potential defectors? Heidi Allen, Sarah Wollaston...
  • Options

So Raab’s just a minister of state then?

Downgrade his salary accordingly.

At the weekend he admitted he had no eye for detail. Like a lot of Brexiteers he’s good at the fantasy of Brexit not the reality of Brexit.

https://twitter.com/los_fisher/status/1020947108365467648?s=21

That said Theresa micro managing always turns out well.

No wonder David-no-notes-Davis describes him as "his boy", which would be somewhat amusing were it not so sad
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I am shocked that Corbyn wants to undo one of Mrs Thatcher’s finest achievements.

I am sure it is nothing to do with the single market rules would stop some of Corbyn’s hard left economic policies.

The fact the ERG and other Tories are cheering him along should give all Tory leavers pause for thought, alas their Europhobia is just too strong.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

surby said:

I would have thought this would cause him serious problems at an election. It puts him firmly in the Leaver

Will it hurt him? Dunno.

I must work.

Both sound like meaningless soundbites . And presumably each would label the others' as something other than you've described.
    Sure, politicians will sloganise, but the nature of Brexit will be up for grabs. I can see that the Corbyn view could be quite appealing to a lot of former coalfield Britain.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,884
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

It is a lynch mob, but looking at that DM front page and some of the tweets, and as Young himself accepts, I am not 100% sure I would want someone who is capable of making some of those comments in a position of influence in education.

I would repeat some of those tweets by way of illustration but I simply cannot as they are too offensive even to repeat to make a point.
    Quite. Young called people "functionally illiterate troglodytes with a mental age of six", "small, vaguely deformed undergraduates replete with acne and anoraks", "a bunch of lesbians [who] looked like German shot-putters", etc. etc.

This wasn't a one-off like Justine Sacco tweeting and then getting in a plane to South Africa, which I fully agree was a lynch-mob mentality. This is a guy whose shtick for many years has been "professional contrarian", like a slightly more eloquent Brendan O'Neill. Unfortunately for him, those who live by the sword die by the sword.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,469

I’d call them the naughty c word but they have neither the depth nor the warmth.
    Me? Are you kidding? Hey, I was with you all the time! That was beautiful! Did you see the way the Leavers fell into our trap? Ha! Ha!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sure, politicians will sloganise, but the nature of Brexit will be up for grabs. I can see that the Corbyn view could be quite appealing to a lot of former coalfield Britain.

How does the Corbyn view of Brexit differ from Chequers?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

I almost felt sad for him, but then I thought "right wing journo complains of being misquoted, quoted out of context and metaphorically lynched ...... hmmm!"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Who are your four potential defectors? Heidi Allen, Sarah Wollaston...
    Soubry, Heidi Allen, Neill and possibly Stephen Hammmond. The latter two are in London and would struggle to keep their majorities under a Tory banner so may jump ship and see if they can do it on a pro-remain ticket. The other two have been sent loopy by Brexit.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

I dislike this damned humidity.

Mr Dancer, I'd forgotten how much I hate space travel hot weather!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

I almost felt sad for him, but then I thought "right wing journo complains of being misquoted, quoted out of context and metaphorically lynched ...... hmmm!"
    Nothing to do with misquoted or out of context...the tweets are there for everyone to see. And I don't mean the eugenics thing, that seemed fine as he describes it. I mean the insulting misogynist tweets and comments.

Somewhere, who knows how deep in his mind, those sentiments persist.
  • Options

I am shocked that Corbyn wants to undo one of Mrs Thatcher’s finest achievements.

I am sure it is nothing to do with the single market rules would stop some of Corbyn’s hard left economic policies.

The fact the ERG and other Tories are cheering him along should give all Tory leavers pause for thought, alas their Europhobia is just too strong.

Absolutely, Mr Eagles. Those Tory patriots from the ERG that wish to trash Mrs T's finest legacy and give support and succour to the foreign policy agenda of Vladimir Putin. Her handbag must be rotating in her grave faster than god's particle in a CERN accelerator
  • Options

The Corbynista in me reckons the EU is a right-wing corporatist plot to shaft the working man and woman.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Not a lot, but the difference lies in how he would exercise those powers.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

kle4 said:

So thanks for that.

And the Tory Gvt made the mistake of allowing UKIP and their activists pressure them into lodging the A50 notice before agreeing our plan and without taking the opportunity to have some informal discussions with other EU governments. Triggering A50 reduced our leverage and gave up valuable time in which we could have started to get our act together.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

wuss
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, I never forget. Damned weather.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

In a referendum between Chequers and Remain, what would Corbyn do?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

It's actually sensible politics from Raab. If Brexit does lead to food shortages, then it's better for us to be queuing up to collect our tins from the town hall than actually starving. The latter would see rioting, looting, burglary and all sorts.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Toby Young on the outrage mob: "In today’s topsy-turvy world, virtue signaling trumps being virtuous." How true.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899

Oddly enough, as others have said, Corbyn's vision of a "Workers' Brexit" will have plenty of followers and sounds superficially attractive. It speaks directly to a constituency which May has tried to charm since 2016 - the "working man".

If you voted LEAVE to try to slow or halt globalisation, Corbyn is talking to you.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Prevent that option before it came about?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Quite. Young called people "functionally illiterate troglodytes with a mental age of six", "small, vaguely deformed undergraduates replete with acne and anoraks", "a bunch of lesbians [who] looked like German shot-putters", etc. etc.

This wasn't a one-off like Justine Sacco tweeting and then getting in a plane to South Africa, which I fully agree was a lynch-mob mentality. This is a guy whose shtick for many years has been "professional contrarian", like a slightly more eloquent Brendan O'Neill. Unfortunately for him, those who live by the sword die by the sword.
    He deserves every bit he has got.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

wuss
    I'm only thinking of your well-being, Alan, as I know what a sensitive soul you are.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

A few dodgy Tweets from years ago is insignificant, when compared to his more recent several years’ experience running schools and an educational charity.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

How?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

It's actually sensible politics from Raab. If Brexit does lead to food shortages, then it's better for us to be queuing up to collect our tins from the town hall than actually starving. The latter would see rioting, looting, burglary and all sorts.
    The drought is more likely to lead to food shortages than any form of Brexit.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

wuss
    I'm only thinking of your well-being, Alan, as I know what a sensitive soul you are.

Ever since England lost religion weve gone from God botherers to just plain botherers

Berlusconi for PM
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Toby Young on the outrage mob: "In today’s topsy-turvy world, virtue signaling trumps being virtuous." How true.

In his cynical topsy-turvy world he clearly thinks that being offensive is a virtue. It isn't. Sorry if I am "virtue signalling"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Norm said:

The drought is more likely to lead to food shortages than any form of Brexit.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1021774197910056961
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

A few dodgy Tweets from years ago is insignificant, when compared to his more recent several years’ experience running schools and an educational charity.
    He spends a lot of time in that article defending himself against charges of his choosing. He was considered unsuitable principally because of his crude sexist and racist comments, to which his only defence appears to be that he was drunk. Drink loosens inhibitions and may have prompted him to reveal his real attitudes, which isn't much of a defence.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

I think that what will happen is that Conservative Party members, UKIP members, anti-EU Labour party members like Jeremy Corbyn, members of various anti-EU organisations will all have special lavishly-stocked shops, which are reserved for them. People who can prove they voted Leave will be given ration books, whereas Remain voters will have to fend for themselves.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    surby said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Quite. Young called people "functionally illiterate troglodytes with a mental age of six", "small, vaguely deformed undergraduates replete with acne and anoraks", "a bunch of lesbians [who] looked like German shot-putters", etc. etc.ñ

He deserves every bit he has got.
    Hes right about this being mccarthyism. People should be able to say what they want. They should be able to apologise for things they said in the past.
    The alt liberal/left tyranny is worse than the right wing tyranny, which is pretty benign by comparison.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

He spends a lot of time in that article defending himself against charges of his choosing. He was considered unsuitable principally because of his crude sexist and racist comments, to which his only defence appears to be that he was drunk. Drink loosens inhibitions and may have prompted him to reveal his real attitudes, which isn't much of a defence.
    on that basis most of our politicians past and present should be sectioned. apparently we must live in a society free from human flaws.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

He wouldn't permit something as bourgeois as a referendum. he would set up a People's Commissariat for Brexit that would interpret "will of the people" in a different but no more or no-less honest way than that is currently being extrapolated by the ERG
  • Options

He has also placed on standby at 30mins notice to move a fleet of C-130 Hercs to bring us strawberries direct from the fields of Spain straight to the Tescos on Bourne High Street.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

He has also placed on standby at 30mins notice to move a fleet of C-130 Hercs to bring us strawberries direct from the fields of Spain straight to the Tescos on Bourne High Street.
    With @another_richard acting as our man from Del Monte to check they meet the standards of our native crop.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Done as the House rises for the summer.....

A Remainer is in sole charge of Brexit. What could possibly go wrong?
This discussion has been closed.