Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sajid Javid becomes the fifth CON MP to be favourite to succee

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,410

Is today the day that Brexit died? Rees-Mogg's misjudged threats and Boris's foul-mouthed rant against the wealth creators feel like the desperate splutterings of yesterday's men.

It is looking like the day that Soft Brexit died. The EU have rejected May's new plans before she even publishes them! What a shambles.

CETA should be the outcome, but the forced partition of part of the UK which appears to be demanded should not be acceptable to anyone. No deal is the only sensible and rational approach at this time.
    In your eyes but not the majority in the HOC and HOL. Not going to happen
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Pulpstar, there was a small amount maybe a fortnight ago. Not sure about earlier. In the SW, I think it either has recently or will rain soon (thunderstorms). I checked the forecast recently and the full fortnight ahead is dry and sunny.

It won't be doing much for crops or gardens, not to mention lack of relief for the firemen on Saddleworth Moor.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Is today the day that Brexit died? Rees-Mogg's misjudged threats and Boris's foul-mouthed rant against the wealth creators feel like the desperate splutterings of yesterday's men.

It is looking like the day that Soft Brexit died. The EU have rejected May's new plans before she even publishes them! What a shambles.

CETA should be the outcome, but the forced partition of part of the UK which appears to be demanded should not be acceptable to anyone. No deal is the only sensible and rational approach at this time.

This is a summary of the negotiations so far:

UK: Right, I wonder if we should ...

EU: Non.

UK: Well can we ...

UK: What about the ...

UK: Surely we can ...

Boris: I ...

EU: Non. Non. Non.

twitter.com/SewellTim/status/1013736680031911936

Mine's more accurate.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    brendan16 said:

rpjs said:

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine the UK paying into the EU budget without rebate - forever.”
    What next - we must join the Euro and Schengen? If of course we decided to reverse Article 50 and stay in I presume we would lose the rebate altogether as the price of our humiliation. Is remain as now even an option any more?
    Well I wouldn't be the first on PB to say that the most likely outcome from the muppets supposedly negotiating for the UK is that we end up in Schengen and the Euro!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005

Mr. Pulpstar, there was a small amount maybe a fortnight ago. Not sure about earlier. In the SW, I think it either has recently or will rain soon (thunderstorms). I checked the forecast recently and the full fortnight ahead is dry and sunny.

It won't be doing much for crops or gardens, not to mention lack of relief for the firemen on Saddleworth Moor.

Nowt in the top of the east Mids/Southern Yorkshire area. Maybe my memory is deceiving me but genuinely can't remember it this bad. Could do with some soon for our nags :/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    The Chequers summit is an ideal opportunity for a Hezza moment. Someone could storm out and theatrically march down the driveway to announce their resignation to the media throng.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863

I understand it just fine. There will only be a contest if May is already dead. In that case, the Leavers will have to get behind one Leave candidate especially if Javid is knocking around, since he will just revert to Remain form if he ever gets elected.

So, if we get to a contest AND none of the Leavers resigned before the end, there is going to be a huge credibility problem for Gove/Johnson etc. IF Mogg stands (and he might not) he is going to have a huge advantage because the other candidates are going to have to spend their whole time being asked why they stuck in May's cabinet and didn't resign when it was obvious she was selling out. Meanwhile JRM will be able to pitch himself as the only man of principle.

Tory MPs (and members) are like children. They like whatever is shiny on the day. They love Javid right now because he looks good on TV and has a nice backstory, but he is also an unprincipled chancer. Gove is undermining himself with his fake loyalty to May.

At the end of the day, I understand how the contest will work - anyone who gets momentum during the contest can win. There will have to be a Leaver in the final two. And right now the Cabinet leavers are killing their chances by refusing to stand up to May.

My prediction is that Boris will resign, wield the knife and win. But JRM is certainly well positioned if there is another scenario.

I think you're wrong on most of your main predictions.

1. Boris won't resign (not least because May would bend to accommodate him but also because he doesn't have the balls);
    2. Whether or not Boris resigns, he won't win: he's too flaky and full of hot air;
    3. For all the fuss about Brexit, whoever wins has to lead the Party into the 2022GE (or earlier), which means they have to demonstrate some capacity for the boring bits of highest office;
    4. Corbyn remains Labour leader - this is not an election to risk losing, so safe options carry a premium, while JRM is the riskiest choice;
    5. JRM probably will not stand but if he does, he will lose - most MPs, even within the ERG will make decisions where Brexit is only one factor;
    6. JRM's personal and political actions in non-Brexit areas would be unattractive to the public and easy to run a campaign against;
    7. Not resigning from May's cabinet is not necessarily a negative, though Boris/Heathrow is;
    8. If someone is going to resign, it'll probably be either Gove or Fox but might be Davis;
    9. You say 'unprincipled chancer' like it's a bad thing - this is the Party of Disraeli;
    10. JRM is sufficiently out of the mainstream that were he a possible contender for the final round, he'd be the subject of negative voting so as to try to ensure that two other candidates went to the membership - and I don't see him having the 100+ MPs necessary to overcome that.
    9) COTD.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Oh well, for this week at least, it looks as if the bastards of the early 1990s will be the same bastards in July 2018. That can’t be a bad thing in itself. But we all know the happy ending for the Tory party.

Anyway, Theresa, hold on in there gal, at least until the summer recess.

The Tory party to end! Hooray.
    The Tory Party has been around for over 300 years, the only way it would end is if it was replaced by or merged with another right of centre party
    As an aside, the Tory Party has only been around for 'only' a little over 200 years. It cannot be meaningfully traced back to the Tory Party of Queen Anne and the late Stewarts, as that party died after being frozen out of government and then tainted with Jacobitism.

The current incarnation of the Tory / Conservative Party has its genesis in the coalition that Pitt the Younger put together and bequeathed to Perceval, Liverpool and so on (and also in the opposition solidifying into a united Whig Party in parallel). Prior to Pitt, there were simply different groupings of Whigs or Independents.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The Chequers summit is an ideal opportunity for a Hezza moment. Someone could storm out and theatrically march down the driveway to announce their resignation to the media throng.

They might have to form a queue...

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Pulpstar, indeed.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

=

You don't understand the Tory party leadership election process, do you?

I understand it just fine. There will only be a contest if May is already dead. In that case, the Leavers will have to get behind one Leave candidate especially if Javid is knocking around, since he will just revert to Remain form if he ever gets elected.
    Nor do you understand Javid's views on Leave/Remain which undermines the rest of your analysis.
    What is there to understand? A lifetime Eurosceptic who completely abandoned his principles and supported Remain because he thought that they would win and it would help advance his political career. Now trying to look like he is a Leaver again because he realises that the Tory members are not going to elect another Remainer. And such bad judgement that he supported Crabb.

Sorry, he might look nice on the telly but in a leadership contest he will get chewed up and spat out. And I don't doubt for a second that if he ever got elected as leader he would sell out on Brexit in a heartbeat.
    Yes but the conclusion you draw is wrong. I think your passion is blinding you to the dynamic at play. He has yet to convince MPs (who I appreciate aren't members) of his europhile credentials and they are wary of supporting him because they fear he might do exactly the opposite of what you suggest, which is to revert to his euroscepticism.
    The dynamic is that if there is a leadership contest anytime soon, a Leaver will win. Unless MPs manage to engineer Javid against a Remainer, he will lose against a real Leaver because the members won't trust him.

The Tories tried a leader who was a Remainer but promised to deliver Brexit - we can see how that is going. No chance it will happen again.

David Herdson's view that Brexit will not be the major factor in choosing a leader I think is 100% wrong - the way May is going, there will be a crisis and it will be about the only factor.
    David is correct and Brexit will not be the number one. The party have always desired office and the successful leader will bring together the party and as a member Javid gets my vote. Do you have a vote as a matter of interest
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925
    MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

brendan16 said:

rpjs said:

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine the UK paying into the EU budget without rebate - forever.”
    What next - we must join the Euro and Schengen? If of course we decided to reverse Article 50 and stay in I presume we would lose the rebate altogether as the price of our humiliation. Is remain as now even an option any more?
    That depends, the UK could stay and keep the rebate and the opt-outs for Schengen and the Euro. Nobody wants Brexit to happen, so if the British said they'd stay as long as the terms weren't changed everyone would breathe an exasperated sign of relief.

Having left, you need unanimity to get back in, so the rebate would be gone, and there might just also be pressure to join Schengen, as this would tidy things up compared to having the Common Travel Area as a separate thing. If we're talking about the forseeable future nobody's going to want the British joining the Eurozone, which has enough problems as it is without creating new, grumpy ones. Britain might lose the explicit opt-out but they'd still be able to use the Swedish cheat codes.
    I get the opinion that most of the EU top brass don’t want us to Leave, so there’s be a huge sigh of relief and desire to get back to normal as soon as posiible.
    The EU leaders want us to stay but it is very clear that the Commission wants us out, the UK is and has always been the roadblock to a federal EU which would need a new treaty/constitution which the UK public would vote down. The rest could be bought/cajoled into signing but the UK wouldn't.

There's no issue once we're out so they are free to push their federal vision as far as they can.
    If the EU leaders want us to stay then that is all that would matter.
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem that way, the commission has shown time and again it is far, far more powerful than anyone believes or was led to believe. Again, reinforcing the decision to leave that undemocratic rabble well behind.
    It suits leaders to blame the Commission. But ultimately national leaders have the power.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,721
    Pulpstar said:

Off topic: When did it last rain ?

Ages and ages ago. And nothing on the long range forecast for Merseyside either. It’s turning into 1976.
  • Options

And get shot by security !!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

And get shot by security !!!!!
    Kim Jong May?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083
    Nigelb said:

Tory MPs (and members) are like children. They like whatever is shiny on the day. They love Javid right now because he looks good on TV and has a nice backstory, but he is also an unprincipled chancer. Gove is undermining himself with his fake loyalty to May.

At the end of the day, I understand how the contest will work - anyone who gets momentum during the contest can win. There will have to be a Leaver in the final two. And right now the Cabinet leavers are killing their chances by refusing to stand up to May.

My prediction is that Boris will resign, wield the knife and win. But JRM is certainly well positioned if there is another scenario.

I think you're wrong on most of your main predictions.

1. Boris won't resign (not least because May would bend to accommodate him but also because he doesn't have the balls);
    2. Whether or not Boris resigns, he won't win: he's too flaky and full of hot air;
    3. For all the fuss about Brexit, whoever wins has to lead the Party into the 2022GE (or earlier), which means they have to demonstrate some capacity for the boring bits of highest office;
    4. Corbyn remains Labour leader - this is not an election to risk losing, so safe options carry a premium, while JRM is the riskiest choice;
    5. JRM probably will not stand but if he does, he will lose - most MPs, even within the ERG will make decisions where Brexit is only one factor;
    6. JRM's personal and political actions in non-Brexit areas would be unattractive to the public and easy to run a campaign against;
    7. Not resigning from May's cabinet is not necessarily a negative, though Boris/Heathrow is;
    8. If someone is going to resign, it'll probably be either Gove or Fox but might be Davis;
    9. You say 'unprincipled chancer' like it's a bad thing - this is the Party of Disraeli;
    10. JRM is sufficiently out of the mainstream that were he a possible contender for the final round, he'd be the subject of negative voting so as to try to ensure that two other candidates went to the membership - and I don't see him having the 100+ MPs necessary to overcome that.
    9) COTD.
    Which definition of COTD do you mean? Call Off the Dogs, City of the Damned or something sexual?
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

=

Nor do you understand Javid's views on Leave/Remain which undermines the rest of your analysis.
    What is there to understand? A lifetime Eurosceptic who completely abandoned his principles and supported Remain because he thought that they would win and it would help advance his political career. Now trying to look like he is a Leaver again because he realises that the Tory members are not going to elect another Remainer. And such bad judgement that he supported Crabb.

Sorry, he might look nice on the telly but in a leadership contest he will get chewed up and spat out. And I don't doubt for a second that if he ever got elected as leader he would sell out on Brexit in a heartbeat.
    Yes but the conclusion you draw is wrong. I think your passion is blinding you to the dynamic at play. He has yet to convince MPs (who I appreciate aren't members) of his europhile credentials and they are wary of supporting him because they fear he might do exactly the opposite of what you suggest, which is to revert to his euroscepticism.
    The dynamic is that if there is a leadership contest anytime soon, a Leaver will win. Unless MPs manage to engineer Javid against a Remainer, he will lose against a real Leaver because the members won't trust him.

The Tories tried a leader who was a Remainer but promised to deliver Brexit - we can see how that is going. No chance it will happen again.

David Herdson's view that Brexit will not be the major factor in choosing a leader I think is 100% wrong - the way May is going, there will be a crisis and it will be about the only factor.
    David is correct and Brexit will not be the number one. The party have always desired office and the successful leader will bring together the party and as a member Javid gets my vote. Do you have a vote as a matter of interest
    God no. I was a Tory member but resigned over Maastricht and never had any intention of rejoining until they stopped selling the country out to the EU. No danger of needing to join again any time soon....
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,854
    edited July 2018

Pulpstar said:

Ages and ages ago. And nothing on the long range forecast for Merseyside either. It’s turning into 1976.
    The last recorded in HD was June 15th IIRC, but there wasn't much before that. Little rain in the forecast, unless some storms break out.

Fires as yesterday, Otterburn Range is just about the biggest now, it has breached civilian land, and Northumberland fire have been called in to tackle just that bit. It burns unabated on the firing range. Winter Hill and Saddleworth are in a holding state.

Next thing to watch for is a change of wind direction around Wednesday, driving Winter Hill fires towards Bolton, and Saddleworth further into the apex of Derbyshire and over Woodhead. The wind switch in Northumberland is less definite, but if smoke reaches Newcastle area expect to hear more about how the army fired bullets at their own tinderbox and whether that was really a good idea.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

=

God no. I was a Tory member but resigned over Maastricht and never had any intention of rejoining until they stopped selling the country out to the EU. No danger of needing to join again any time soon....
    So you will not have any say over the next leader then
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

Nowt in the top of the east Mids/Southern Yorkshire area. Maybe my memory is deceiving me but genuinely can't remember it this bad. Could do with some soon for our nags :/
    There is lots of data at https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadukp/charts/charts.html
    The main chart is a link to many more.

It doesn't look that bad yet.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

=

You've been predicting May's demise every four weeks for the past nine months so your predictive track record on this isn't shit hot.
    I don't know. I predicted that:

- The December agreement, and in particular the NI backstop was a disaster and that May would never recover from having made this strategic error.
    - That May would engage in a sellout on all her red lines.
    - That there was no soft Brexit on offer from the EU, other than EEA + CU membership.

Seem to have been spot on.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

It's fortunate that most reservoirs were at maximum capacity before this dry spell began.

Weir Wood reservoir: 98%
    Powdermill: 94%
    Bewl Water: 94%
    Darwell: 80%

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/reservoir-levels
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    The mexico that beat Germany have turned up this afternoon.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628

I did tip Mexico this morning, alongside Japan.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    It has been a good couple of months for my solar panels.
  • Options

And mine with more to come by the look of it
  • Options

I did tip Mexico this morning, alongside Japan.
    Brazil still look like they have enough to beat them, but depends on how much fancy dan ball hogger decides to actually pass at the crucial moment.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
  • Options
    "The civil war within Germany’s centre-right escalates

Horst Seehofer, the interior minister, threatens to resign from Angela Merkel’s cabinet"

https://www.economist.com/kaffeeklatsch/2018/07/02/the-civil-war-within-germanys-centre-right-escalates
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

There is lots of data at https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadukp/charts/charts.html

You might also be interested in https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate-anomalies/

One of the reasons that 1976 was so bad was because the preceding winter and spring were very dry. That wasn't the case earlier this year.
  • Options

I think mine have generated just under 18 kilowatt hours/day in June.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

=

Nor might you if it was like last time or 2003.
  • Options
    I'll say it again, Neymar Jr is a Fortnum and Mason Jason Lee.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Pulpstar said:

I think I last saw rain in about February :D
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nor might you if it was like last time or 2003.
    That's not really the point though, is it?
  • Options
    France look like the best team at the moment to be honest, but it changes from round to round - in the group stages it was Croatia and Uruguay.
    Brazil need to get that game where they play poorly but win out the way, perhaps this is it.
  • Options
    There was a good story on the radio earlier about neymar. When he first started in senior football, he missed a number of penalties so the coach told him he wasn’t to take the next one (during the game). He had such a tantrum they had to stop the game for several minutes. After the game, The coach told him he was suspended for two weeks. He threw anothe wobbler and the president of the club decided that they couldn’t have neymar this upset, so he sacked the coach and waved neymars ban.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You might also be interested in https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate-anomalies/

One of the reasons that 1976 was so bad was because the preceding winter and spring were very dry. That wasn't the case earlier this year.
    Oh sure - there's no real issue with on demand water supply right now, the issue is with pasture/grassland. Ain't growing !
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

I think I last saw rain in about February :D
    https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/1013329551760461824
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Likewise. For the first time ever, they generated over 0.5 MWh of energy in a month during June.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,386
    RobD said:
    1. PM makes up 3rd way on customs. Has it leaked
    2. "DD of the SS" goes spare and threatens to resign again again again again
    3. Supporters and opponents of DD and PM start throwing rocks at each other
    4. PM holds 121s with cabinet. Its not quite Thatcher in 1990 but not far off it
    5. Cabinet retreats to Chequers with ambulances on standby
    6. PM emerges with fudged non-deal that is so bland as to upset nobody.
    7. Barnier puts down his bag of popcorn and once again states that fantasy island solutions will not be accepted no matter how many fights the UK government have to decide which one they want him to reject. Again.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Likewise. For the first time ever, they generated over 0.5 MWh of energy in a month during June.
    I've been doing readings since I moved in:

29/3/18 8918
    30/5/18 9908
    29/6/18 10456
  • Options

RobD said:
    4. PM holds 121s with cabinet. Its not quite Thatcher in 1990 but not far off it
    7. Barnier puts down his bag of popcorn and once again states that fantasy island solutions will not be accepted no matter how many fights the UK government have to decide which one they want him to reject. Again.
    It's clear the EU are only going to accept one plan - theirs. Not sure why HMG is even bothering.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29/3/18 8918
    30/5/18 9908
    29/6/18 10456
    Fewer cloudy days, or is the Sun getting more luminous? :p
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29/3/18 8918
    30/5/18 9908
    29/6/18 10456
    So you used 10% more in June than in April and May. Have you got air conditioning?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801

This is a summary of the negotiations so far:

EU: Bearing in mind our fundamental position is that the four freedoms are sacrosanct to us, what are your proposals?

UK: Right, I wonder if we could have all of what we want without the other bits...

UK: Well we want all of this without the other parts ...

UK: What about the stuff only full EU members can have ...

UK: Surely we can have these as sort-of good neighbours ...

Boris: I ...

EU: Non. Non. Non.

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29/3/18 8918
    30/5/18 9908
    29/6/18 10456
    So you used 10% more in June than in April and May. Have you got air conditioning?
    That's my generation. 512 Kw of usage over the same time period.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29/3/18 8918
    30/5/18 9908
    29/6/18 10456
    That's my generation. 512 Kw of usage over the same time period.
    Ah okay, a good month in June then, makes more sense ;)
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801
    Fooled me once, shame on you.

Fooled me twice call me Donald....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Because the country has bet the farm on the banking, financial services and insurance industry whilst some Leavers, like Patrick Minford, want to destroy British manufacturing. Is a no brainer.

We're more important in the grand scheme of things than metal bashers.
    we bet the farm and lost in 2008, financial services never paid the bills and never will

the truth is you don't worry about GKN because it's not your sector. You shit yourelf when its finance. Then stupidlyyou then whinge when voters outside the finance sector vote for their own interest and we end up with Brexit.

And you still haven't answered wny Greg sit on his Hands is approving the asset stripping of one of our oldest businesses, a centre for research and a tax payer.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    All this hot weather is the fault of the Israelis. Apparently.

https://twitter.com/maziarbahari/status/1013752367748182018
  • Options
    Starting yesterday, in Uganda the authorities introduced a controversial tax on people using dozens of Internet services including Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, and Instagram.

Passed in May by the Ugandan parliament, the legislation requires local Internet service providers to block a wide range of social media and telecoms platforms until subscribers pay a flat fee of 200 shillings (US$0.051) per day. While just shy of US$19 per year might not initially sound like much, per capita income stands at US$600 and millions of Ugandans survive on less than a dollar per day
  • Options

Because the country has bet the farm on the banking, financial services and insurance industry whilst some Leavers, like Patrick Minford, want to destroy British manufacturing. Is a no brainer.

we bet the farm and lost in 2008, financial services never paid the bills and never will

the truth is you don't worry about GKN because it's not your sector. You shit yourelf when its finance. Then stupidlyyou then whinge when voters outside the finance sector vote for their own interest and we end up with Brexit.

And you still haven't answered wny Greg sit on his Hands is approving the asset stripping of one of our oldest businesses, a centre for research and a tax payer.
    https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1012702482579910656
  • Options

Are you confusing Greg Hands with Greg Clark?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    RobD said:

RobD said:
    It's clear the EU are only going to accept one plan - theirs. Not sure why HMG is even bothering.
    Time for that Bullseye moment.

Produces a huge comedy cheque, payable to the EU, for £40 billion.

"Let's have a look at what you could have won...."

As Boris sets about it with an oxy-acetylene torch.....
  • Options

I don't know enough about the GKN situation to comment, so unlike some PBers I'm not going to pass myself as an expert in something I'm not.

I do know that the financial services sector is the largest contributor to the Exchequer, if we flee then the country's got a major problem.
  • Options

Starting yesterday, in Uganda the authorities introduced a controversial tax on people using dozens of Internet services including Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, and Instagram.

Passed in May by the Ugandan parliament, the legislation requires local Internet service providers to block a wide range of social media and telecoms platforms until subscribers pay a flat fee of 200 shillings (US$0.051) per day. While just shy of US$19 per year might not initially sound like much, per capita income stands at US$600 and millions of Ugandans survive on less than a dollar per day

Interesting move by the Ugandan administration. I wonder if other governments will have the same idea.
  • Options

A tax on Ugandan discussions?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Then the remains could be placed in an urn and we could have a biennial wiff-waff tournament with Brussels over the Ashes of English Sovereignty.
  • Options

only
    I don't know enough about the GKN situation to comment, so unlike some PBers I'm not going to pass myself as an expert in something I'm not.

I do know that the financial services sector is the largest contributor to the Exchequer, if we flee then the country's got a major problem.
    yes lets ignore the largest ever bail out the country has undertaken and the trillion plus contingent liability dumped on taxpayers

take away all the costs and any business looks good
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Mexico are 8.6 on Betfair.

Edit - and even higher now
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926

RobD said:

RobD said:

#cantbeatabitofbully :D
  • Options
    HenryHenry Posts: 5
    New market

Green Party of England and Wales leadership election, 2018 - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Party_of_England_and_Wales_leadership_election,_2018

Ladbrokes: https://m.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/#!/event_details/226947172 are giving odds (on 2 July):

• Jonathan Bartley + Sian Berry 1/10
    • Shahrar Ali 6/1
    • Leslie Rowe 33/1
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

As an aside, the Tory Party has only been around for 'only' a little over 200 years. It cannot be meaningfully traced back to the Tory Party of Queen Anne and the late Stewarts, as that party died after being frozen out of government and then tainted with Jacobitism.

"Tainted .. Tainted" !!!!!!!!!!

You will be receiving a visit very shortly .... and it wont be the Avon Ladies !!

• Options

only

yes lets ignore the largest ever bail out the country has undertaken and the trillion plus contingent liability dumped on taxpayers

Blame Gordon Brown who set up an awful regulatory system.

It was only one or two bad apples.

I'd have let them fail.
  • Options
    If Brazil beats Mexico 1-0 and Sweden beat Mexico 3-0 does that mean Sweden are 3 times as good as Brazil ?
  • Options

only

I'd have let them fail.
    Dave didn't send anyone to jail , it's one of the reasons he lost his job
  • Options

only

I'd have let them fail.
    Dave didn't send anyone to jail , it's one of the reasons he lost his job
    Fortunately we live in a democracy, thus the PM doesn't send anyone to jail.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Brazil beats Mexico 1-0 and Sweden beat Mexico 3-0 does that mean Sweden are 3 times as good as Brazil ?

Brazil have their moments of brilliance in and amongst much longer periods of mediocrity, showiness for its own sake and occasional moments of downright ugliness (which get skimmed over because of their reputation). A bit like Wagner.
  • Options
    JackW said:

"Tainted .. Tainted" !!!!!!!!!!

You will be receiving a visit very shortly .... and it wont be the Avon Ladies !!

No I wont - they'll get half-way then turn around and go home again.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

I know enough about it to comment and this is about the best result they could hope for. Anyone who think GKN could have done better by staying independent was either stupid or kidding themselves. The GKN board's proposal was to sell their biggest division to an American outfit for a knock down price, it's no wonder that shareholders preferred the buyout option put forward by UK based Melrose.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    RobD said:
    Someone to blame. Just look at how TSE is happy to blame Davis for all May's stupid decisions.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29/3/18 8918
    30/5/18 9908
    29/6/18 10456
    Yes, over 0.5MWh in both June and May for me. Start of June was a bit dull but it has brightened up substantially since then. Looking good for July.

Just passed the 25MWh reading so around 3.6MWh per year.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

RobD said:
    Someone to blame. Just look at how TSE is happy to blame Davis for all May's stupid decisions.
    Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows her?

Davis if he was all that should have quit instead of perpetually talking about quitting.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I know enough about it to comment and this is about the best result they could hope for. Anyone who think GKN could have done better by staying independent was either stupid or kidding themselves. The GKN board's proposal was to sell their biggest division to an American outfit for a knock down price, it's no wonder that shareholders preferred the buyout option put forward by UK based Melrose.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

=

Ah, that no doubt explains why you think you know more about how Tory members will behave than David Herdson does.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    Sandpit said:

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1012702482579910656
    Is that the reason for the works on the A50 just to the west of Uttoxeter?

An anecdote about JCB. Back in the old days, the JCB spares dept was at their main site in Rocester. My school was directly above, and one day my dad asked me to go down in my lunch hour to pick something up. So I went down the hill in my tweed jacket, went to the spares department, and picked up a hydraulic ram for a backactor. After lugging it back up the hill I found it did not fit in my locker, so I had to carry it around to all my classes that afternoon.

Mind you, I also got to go to a few product launches as well. The full laser show and dancing diggers were rather brilliant for a thirteen year old. And I've still got a model 3CX signed by Noel Edmonds ...

(Dubious claim to fame alert)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sandpit said:

Hannan - JCB

You know he's on their payroll?
  • Options
    Adonis is the sort of person who won't have registered there is a World Cup on...where England are doing rather well.....

"Football?"
  • Options
    These Brazilian players seem terribly fragile with the bone strength of an arthritic 90 year old woman.
  • Options

Ah, that no doubt explains why you think you know more about how Tory members will behave than David Herdson does.

Second time today that David has been told by someone who left the Tory party years ago that he doesn't know much about the Tory party and its membership.

Despite me telling the other person that David's a constituency chairman.
  • Options
    On what we've seen so far, France will cream Brazil....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
  • Options

On what we've seen so far, France will cream Brazil....

Not 100% that's the match yet. Lets see what Belgium and Uruguay can do.
  • Options

https: //twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1013805956596207616

The Cabinet have been behaving like idiots.

I'm confident that had Theresa May informed her Cabinet of her third-way Customs plan before the media that at least one of them would have leaked it to the Press with a negative spin before she was able to brief it to the media herself.
  • Options
    They shouldn't worry, Barnier will just say "Non" to it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    That's brilliant news.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    For some reason the ad I'm getting at the top of PB is for Budd, the #1 Fall Detector.

Are they trying to tell me something? ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Well they are right about that. Perhaps if they'd spent the five years since David Cameron pledged a referendum working up some kind of vaguely coherent alternative plan, they might be better placed to criticise.
  • Options

Second time today that David has been told by someone who left the Tory party years ago that he doesn't know much about the Tory party and its membership.

Despite me telling the other person that David's a constituency chairman.
    Pull your heads in. Nobody 'knows' what thousands of Tory members or MPs will do or think - he has his opinion, I have mine. I think his analysis is incorrect and I have set out why, but his analysis is also logical but from a different point of view.

I think that Brexit will dominate (and destroy) the Tories; not surprisingly he disagrees. I am not sure exactly how David thinks that May can resolve Brexit so it does not become the trigger for leadership carnage, and if that occurs nobody actually knows how it will play out. Perhaps he thinks that May will be able to sell out the country and deliver a Brexit totally at odds with their manifesto and the members will just shrug it off. If so, he might find he is Chairman and the only member left. The Tories biggest weakness is that they think they will last forever.
This discussion has been closed.