Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo – the betting favourite with a record of disappointing pu

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sandpit said:

Now I’m confused. Between Jan 2013 and Jan 2015 the Senate was 55-45 in favour of Democrats, who surely would have confirmed whoever Obama chose to nominate had there been a vacancy?

The GOP would have filibustered a truly left wing justice and the Democrats weren't willing to use the nuclear option to stop filibusters.
    Due to the filibuster rule you need, in effect, 60 senators as you need 60 to override the filibuster.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

'Livid' Gove rips up custom's paper.

The CS really do seem to want to avoid having to implement MaxFac. This, more than anything, should be evidence that MaxFac is the right choice for British people and business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44668572

How is MaxFac compatible with this?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/10/enacted
    Because it will be accompanied by an FTA with the EU.

How is Barnier's attempt to keep NI in the CU/SM compatible with it?

The good news is that we will be able to change our laws. Remember, no Parliament can bind its successor.
    MaxFac is a technological solution which has been ruled out categorically on the Irish border.

Keeping NI in the CU/SM is clearly compatible with an open border and those clauses.

Parliament might be able to change the law, but it won't be able to unpick the withdrawal agreement.
    1) 'Keeping NI in the CU/SM is clearly compatible with an open border and those clauses.' Incorrect, as it would fall foul of 10 (1) (B), ref. joint report from the negotiators of the EU and the United Kingdom Government on progress during phase 1 of negotiations under Article 50, specificallly point 50 'In all circumstances, the United
    Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's
    businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market. '

2) 'Parliament might be able to change the law, but it won't be able to unpick the withdrawal agreement.' Parliament can legislate to change the withdrawal act if clauses prevent

3) Why are you and the EU obsessed with trying to maintain third power jurisdiction on an integral part of the UK? Maybe get cracking on the FTA instead, or wave goodbye to the 39BN cheque....
    Get cracking on the FTA? but DD seems to prefer politicking at home to the tiresome business of negotiation.

https://twitter.com/ftbrussels/status/1012741991589957632?s=19
    Negotiation 101. You don't have your man in the room until the deal is done.
    If you think the UK approach has anything to learn from, it is "do not do it like this"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

I'm cheering for France because they helped us with the Falklands, plus I want to see Maradona cry.

Plus I still feel guilty about the events at Mers-el-Kébir.

..by helping Argentina by selling them Exocets?
    They didn't. At least not once the invasion had happened. France were great help to the British during the Falklands including giving us all the information we needed to neutralise the threat of the Exocets. And that comes from a man who should certainly should know and who called them our greatest ally in the war.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1387576/How-France-helped-us-win-Falklands-war-by-John-Nott.html
    Well there is this that MAKES IT LESS CLEAR CUT...…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17256975
    I pointed that out on here before and our own @Dura_Ace assured me that that was just a rogue element for which the French government could not be held accountable.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    tyson said:

RobD said:

Trump just doesn't want to pay for Europe's security, which is fair enough.
    If I thought it was that I could do everything that I wanted to without giving a flying fuck about anyone or anything else under some ruse of "me first"...life doesn't work like that..it doesn't make me happier, and it certainly doesn't make others happy....but there again Trump is a fucking self obsessed, narcissistic wanker...
    Trump is one of the few people who doesn't have to care what others think of him.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943
    edited June 2018
    Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The CS really do seem to want to avoid having to implement MaxFac. This, more than anything, should be evidence that MaxFac is the right choice for British people and business.

The good news is that we will be able to change our laws. Remember, no Parliament can bind its successor.
    MaxFac is a technological solution which has been ruled out categorically on the Irish border.

Keeping NI in the CU/SM is clearly compatible with an open border and those clauses.

Parliament might be able to change the law, but it won't be able to unpick the withdrawal agreement.
    1) 'Keeping NI in the CU/SM is clearly compatible with an open border and those clauses.' Incorrect, as it would fall foul of 10 (1) (B), ref. joint report from the negotiators of the EU and the United Kingdom Government on progress during phase 1 of negotiations under Article 50, specificallly point 50 'In all circumstances, the United
    Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's

2) 'Parliament might be able to change the law, but it won't be able to unpick the withdrawal agreement.' Parliament can legislate to change the withdrawal act if clauses prevent

3) Why are you and the EU obsessed with trying to maintain third power jurisdiction on an integral part of the UK? Maybe get cracking on the FTA instead, or wave goodbye to the 39BN cheque....
    Get cracking on the FTA? but DD seems to prefer politicking at home to the tiresome business of negotiation.

If you think the UK approach has anything to learn from, it is "do not do it like this"
    WIthout Davis we might have already signed up to the low orbit vassalage that only williamglenn thinks in any way sensible.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

2) 'Parliament might be able to change the law, but it won't be able to unpick the withdrawal agreement.' Parliament can legislate to change the withdrawal act if necessary.

Keeping Northern Ireland in the CU/SM isn't incompatible with keeping the UK as a whole in the CU/SM. If that's the only way the UK can honour its commitment to Northern Ireland in the joint report, so be it.
    Given both the UK Govt and the EU have rejected that, your commitment to it is 'brave'....
    The EU hasn't rejected reversing Brexit, nor an Association Agreement including the full single market and customs union.
    The Commons has already voted by a 200 vote majority to leave the single market and both Corbyn and May oppose staying in the EEA so that is not going to be an option in the short term given how pivotal ending free movement and bringing immigration down was to the Leave victory
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

That article is unfair. Barnier is not doing the negotiating either. The negotiations are done by Oliver Robbins and Sabine Weyland and about 100 odd staff on each side to support them.
    Not much evidence of progress though, is there?

With time constraints, only an off the peg agreement will be possible. Bespoke has been timed out.

I do not disagree with you here, but it is not DD fault. Robbins reports directly to May, she did this deliberately. It is May/Robbins/Barwell chasing some fantasy deal which seams to change every week, which are always going to be rejected.
    I just hope that the paper work is in place so that the planes still fly and the lorries still move, etc. I can not see both sides as being so stupid as not to have put this in place.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

If I thought it was that I could do everything that I wanted to without giving a flying fuck about anyone or anything else under some ruse of "me first"...life doesn't work like that..it doesn't make me happier, and it certainly doesn't make others happy....but there again Trump is a fucking self obsessed, narcissistic wanker...
    Trump is one of the few people who doesn't have to care what others think of him.
    Until he runs for re election
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

WIthout Davis we might have already signed up to the low orbit vassalage that only williamglenn thinks in any way sensible.
    I don't think it's sensible at all, but if you don't want a disorderly break up of the UK, you need a deal, and that's the only one that works. Otherwise we reverse Brexit which would be my preference.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

JackW said:

JackW...heh comrade....great to see you here..

what the fuck is going on with Ronaldo's personal short adjustments when he takes a free kick..I can only hope that kids do not mimic him
    Thank you, but Comrade Lord please .. :smiley:

I think Ronaldo's shorts lift is part of an Iberian male sporting trait in the manner of Nadal's arse crack grab prior to every serve.
    Alexis Sanchez does the same thing with his shorts when he's taking free kicks.
    Mrs JackW advises me that I should attempt similar forms of nether region gyrations to attract the masses when I toss my caber at the forthcoming 273rd Annual Auchentennach Highland Games.

I shall give the proposal much consideration .....
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    JackW said:

tyson said:

JackW said:

what the fuck is going on with Ronaldo's personal short adjustments when he takes a free kick..I can only hope that kids do not mimic him

I think Ronaldo's shorts lift is part of an Iberian male sporting trait in the manner of Nadal's arse crack grab prior to every serve.
    JaCKW...I'm only deferent to folks who have bigger muscles than me on a dark night, and cornered in an alleyway.....and then (and only then) I am quite likely to be highly reverential to the other unless I've had a skinfull and have drunken delusions about my physicality....

Nadal's arse crack grab....it was OK when he was young beautiful...now he looks middle aged and bald it doesn't look right. I much prefer to watch Federer serenely dancing around, or Serena in her Batman catsuit....

• Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Now I’m confused. Between Jan 2013 and Jan 2015 the Senate was 55-45 in favour of Democrats, who surely would have confirmed whoever Obama chose to nominate had there been a vacancy?

The GOP would have filibustered a truly left wing justice and the Democrats weren't willing to use the nuclear option to stop filibusters.
    Due to the filibuster rule you need, in effect, 60 senators as you need 60 to override the filibuster.
    Until you decide by simple majority, to remove the filibuster.

The Dems' Senate problem has been that several of their Senators represent Red States. The only way they can hold such Senate seats is by allowing such Senators leeway to vote with Republicans on issues like SCOTUS appointments.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm cheering for France because they helped us with the Falklands, plus I want to see Maradona cry.

They didn't. At least not once the invasion had happened. France were great help to the British during the Falklands including giving us all the information we needed to neutralise the threat of the Exocets. And that comes from a man who should certainly should know and who called them our greatest ally in the war.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1387576/How-France-helped-us-win-Falklands-war-by-John-Nott.html

I pointed that out on here before and our own @Dura_Ace assured me that that was just a rogue element for which the French government could not be held accountable.
    By the way, I do love the final line of that pice:

But, does [Sir John Nott], nonetheless, now feel a little let down by a nation that he had previously described as Britain's greatest ally? This was his response:

"We asked Mitterrand not to give assistance to the Argentinians. If you're asking me: 'Are the French duplicitous people?' the answer is: 'Of course they are, and they always have been.'"
  • Options
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

JackW said:

Mrs JackW advises me that I should attempt similar forms of nether region gyrations to attract the masses when I toss my caber at the forthcoming 273rd Annual Auchentennach Highland Games.

Is this allowed in the junior competition?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Team seed 14 about to knock out team seeded 4?
  • Options
    tyson said:

JaCKW...I'm only deferent to folks who have bigger muscles than me on a dark night, and cornered in an alleyway.....and then (and only then) I am quite likely to be highly reverential to the other unless I've had a skinfull and have drunken delusions about my physicality....

I refer your insolent self to my PB position not entirely dissimilar to that of a certain functionary of impeccable credentials from the Mikado :

Behold the Lord High Executioner
    A personage of noble rank and title -
    A dignified and potent officer,
    Whose functions are particularly vital!
    Defer, defer,
    To the Lord High Executioner!
    Defer, defer,
    To the noble Lord, to the noble Lord,

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Big boost to Sajid Javid's prospects of succeeding May as he tops the Conservative Home Tory members next Tory leader poll released this evening for the first time.

Javid is on 22%, Gove is second on 17%, Mogg third on 14%, Johnson 4th on 8% and Hunt 5th on 4%.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/06/our-survey-next-tory-leader-javid-tops-the-poll-for-the-first-time.html

On Monday the website will release head to head figures between Javid, Gove, Boris and Hunt
  • Options

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

JackW said:

Is this allowed in the junior competition?
    We have yet to receive your application form and 100 guinea fee.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    JackW said:

tyson said:

I refer your insolent self to my PB position not entirely dissimilar to that of a certain functionary of impeccable credentials from the Mikado :

Behold the Lord High Executioner
    A personage of noble rank and title -
    A dignified and potent officer,
    Whose functions are particularly vital!
    Defer, defer,
    Defer, defer,
    To the noble Lord, to the noble Lord,

Very good JackW......

It is always a pleasure to randomly join a thread of pbCOM and to see a certain Mr JackW skulking around....

• Options

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I don't think it's sensible at all, but if you don't want a disorderly break up of the UK, you need a deal, and that's the only one that works. Otherwise we reverse Brexit which would be my preference.
    The disorderly break up of the UK isn't in anyone's interest. You seem somewhat fixated on it; suggesting it is some sort of inevitability sounds frankly ridiculous.
  • Options
    Uruguay go through and Portugal go out, bad day for the world's top 2 players Messi and Ronaldo as both their sides crash out
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The disorderly break up of the UK isn't in anyone's interest. You seem somewhat fixated on it; suggesting it is some sort of inevitability sounds frankly ridiculous.
    How would you see the days, weeks and months following "no deal" playing out?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    HYUFD said:

Big boost to Sajid Javid's prospects of succeeding May as he tops the Conservative Home Tory members next Tory leader poll released this evening for the first time.

Javid is on 22%, Gove is second on 17%, Mogg third on 14%, Johnson 4th on 8% and Hunt 5th on 4%.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/06/our-survey-next-tory-leader-javid-tops-the-poll-for-the-first-time.html

On Monday the website will release head to head figures between Javid, Gove, Boris and Hunt

And he had my vote in that survey
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Uruguay go through and Portugal go out, bad day for the world's top 2 players Messi and Ronaldo as both their sides crash out

I thought according to the English press Harry Kane is the worlds best player!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Not in the disorderly break up of the UK. If it happens, which I think is unlikely, I imagine that it would more than likely be followed with (even more) widespread rejection of the EU.

You start from the premise that the EU is any more than tolerated by the vast majority of the UK - this couldn't be much farther from reality.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

No one knows but you are fixated on remaining and to be honest most of your comments are entirely predictable.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    tlg86 said:

Very Jim Hacker... (The Tunnel) Trusting the French is a ludicrous position to take
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Not in the disorderly break up of the UK. If it happens, which I think is unlikely, I imagine that it would more than likely be followed with (even more) widespread rejection of the EU.

You start from the premise that the EU is any more than tolerated by the vast majority of the UK - this couldn't be much farther from reality.
    You start from the premise that the most important variable is the level of resentment felt by Conservative Eurosceptics. It isn’t.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,111
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low Orbit Vassalage, great band.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I think there would be a great deal of anger directed at both the government, and the EU.

Nationalists in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland would blame the former. Unionists would blame the latter.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Nope its still clear cut. The fact that some individuals did not agree with the French Government supporting the British is immaterial. French policy was to help us in every way it could. Very different to the US Ambassador to the UN who so hated the British that she openly advocated the Argentine cause and tried to persuade Reagan to invoke the Rio Pact and have the US support Argentina in the war.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low Orbit Vassalage, great band.
    :)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

He was right.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I am increasingly coming round to him too, I voted for Javid last time but Boris this time, I would be happy with either though I know Javid would get your vote over Boris
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You start from the premise that the most important variable is the level of resentment felt by Conservative Eurosceptics. It isn’t.
    Have you ever knocked on doors and spoken to ordinary people about politics?

• Options
    edited June 2018

HYUFD said:

He is yet to win a Ballon d'Or, Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar were the top 3 last year
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

I think there would be a great deal of anger directed at both the government, and the EU.

Nationalists in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland would blame the former. Unionists would blame the latter.
    Who would Danny Dyer blame?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

An admission of participation in ConHome surveys would normally attract significant and much deserved opprobrium, followed by formal censure and expulsion.

However the Tories are such a shambles these days it would be considered dashed unsporting to punished you outwith of a yellow card for the gall of admitting your shame so publicly.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The EU is barely tolerated by very many, even remainers, and indeed is seeing a huge rise of resistence within individual member states. The so called agreement on migration collapsed within minutes and Europe is in turmoil. Take off your rose tinted glasses and you will see all is not at all well in Euro land. Indeed next years European elections could see a huge swing to the far left and far right candidates across Europe resulting in an extremely fractious Parliament
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

An admission of participation in ConHome surveys would normally attract significant and much deserved opprobrium, followed by formal censure and expulsion.

However the Tories are such a shambles these days it would be considered dashed unsporting to punished you outwith of a yellow card for the gall of admitting your shame so publicly.
    I am nowhere near the poltics of con home Jack but as a member of the party they send me their surveys and I fill them in using my own opinion, hence why Boris did not get my vote
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Nope its still clear cut. The fact that some individuals did not agree with the French Government supporting the British is immaterial. French policy was to help us in every way it could. Very different to the US Ambassador to the UN who so hated the British that she openly advocated the Argentine cause and tried to persuade Reagan to invoke the Rio Pact and have the US support Argentina in the war.
    Ambassador Kirkpatrick was a Democrat who only became a Republican in 1985, Reagan's Secretary of State Alexander Haig by contrast was pro British in the conflict. In the end the Reagan administration supported Thatcher's UK in pushing for an Argentine withdrawal while pressing a peaceful solution and Kirkpatrick had to vote for UN SC resolution 502 which the British UN ambassador had proposed
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Who is he ??
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Who is he ??
    The voice of the nation. (Warning: language may be unsuitable for Mrs G.)

https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1012439971188310017?s=21
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Who is he ??
    The voice of the nation. (Warning: language may be unsuitable for Mrs G.)

https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1012439971188310017?s=21
    Never heard of him but at nearly 80 Mrs G has heard it all before, bless her. ( but not from me)
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He is yet to win a Ballon d'Or, Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar were the top 3 last year
    Cavani !!!! Mbappe !!!!!!!!!
  • Options

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

I am nowhere near the poltics of con home Jack but as a member of the party they send me their surveys and I fill them in using my own opinion, hence why Boris did not get my vote
    Can I have my yellow card rescinded please ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ambassador Kirkpatrick was a Democrat who only became a Republican in 1985, Reagan's Secretary of State Alexander Haig by contrast was pro British in the conflict. In the end the Reagan administration supported Thatcher's UK in pushing for an Argentine withdrawal while pressing a peaceful solution and Kirkpatrick had to vote for UN SC resolution 502 which the British UN ambassador had proposed
    Yep and Reagan was of course very pro-British as far as foreign relations went. But that doesn't change the fact that those claiming the French Government were supporting and helping Argentina whilst ignoring the attitude of senior US representatives are twisting history. It was France who stepped up to the plate to support us straight away whilst the US vacillated.
  • Options

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

More shameless admissions of guilt. We shall have to refer the matter to higher authority - namely the Star Chamber Admissions of Bedford - SCAB.

Your pitiful excuses will be exposed and almost certainly Chief Justice Mike Smithson will place the black cap over the vast expanse of non follicular activity and pronounce the ultimate sentence - Compulsory reading of the speeches of Diane Abbott .... and may God have mercy on your soul.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

More shameless admissions of guilt. We shall have to refer the matter to higher authority - namely the Star Chamber Admissions of Bedford - SCAB.

Your pitiful excuses will be exposed and almost certainly Chief Justice Mike Smithson will place the black cap over the vast expanse of non follicular activity and pronounce the ultimate sentence - Compulsory reading of the speeches of Diane Abbott .... and may God have mercy on your soul.
    And may the Good Lord bless you too Jack
  • Options
    edited June 2018

HYUFD said:

Yep and Reagan was of course very pro-British as far as foreign relations went. But that doesn't change the fact that those claiming the French Government were supporting and helping Argentina whilst ignoring the attitude of senior US representatives are twisting history. It was France who stepped up to the plate to support us straight away whilst the US vacillated.
    You are right on the war itself (though Chile was more helpful probably to the UK than either France or the USA and of course France had supplied Argentina with Exocet missiles, albeit before the invasion)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Didn't the Republicans change that recently to make it just a simple majority ?
  • Options

RobD said:

I think it’s more than that.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1012493364212764675?s=21
    See the Times front page today also:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1012814233262870528?s=21
    Trump is a long standing Soviet / Russian spy !!!!
  • Options
    Unite members back second referendum. C’mon Len!

https://twitter.com/ncpoliticsuk/status/1013156996294610944?s=21
  • Options

tlg86 said:

He was right.
    "You must understand, the French President never knows what French Security is doing."
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Who is he ??
    He's a descendant of Edward II ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052k2jt
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Who is he ??

Most of us are.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    surby said:

RobD said:

I think it’s more than that.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1012493364212764675?s=21
    See the Times front page today also:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1012814233262870528?s=21
    Trump is a long standing Soviet / Russian spy !!!!
    Older pb-ers will remember the same charge being laid against Harold Wilson -- that the prime minister had snow on his boots. Wilson may have been paranoid but they were out to get him.

Trump? Well, from Moscow's point of view, he is at least a useful idiot. Possibly bought and paid for but, as the rhyme about journalists has it: seeing what the man will do unbribed, there's no occasion to. Trump has long been hostile to China and suspicious of Europe: what's not to like?
  • Options

Unite members back second referendum. C’mon Len!

https://twitter.com/ncpoliticsuk/status/1013156996294610944?s=21

Unite also backed Remain, Remain lost
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

He was right.
    "You must understand, the French President never knows what French Security is doing."
    Yes Prime Minister?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You are right on the war itself (though Chile was more helpful probably to the UK than either France or the USA and of course France had supplied Argentina with Exocet missiles, albeit before the invasion)
    To be fair, we had armed the Argies too!

France vs Uruguay is a tasty tie for Friday PM.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

He was right.
    Yes Prime Minister?
    Correct.
  • Options

Well I guess its clear-cut if you trust the French...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625
    surby said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Didn't the Republicans change that recently to make it just a simple majority ?
    Yes, and I would not be surprised - and it would probably be no bad thing - if the filibuster went entirely.

In an age of all out partisan struggle, and one in which political conventions are routinely flouted, I can’t see it lasting.
  • Options

On defence and security matters, I do trust the French, because our interests mostly coincide.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Who is he ??

Most of us are.
    Very probably. Not many of us can prove it though.
  • Options

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Via VAR?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

On defence and security matters, I do trust the French, because our interests mostly coincide.
    I believe that’s also Nicola Sturgeon’s view.
  • Options

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Via VAR?
    +1
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Via VAR?
    The VAR result in 2016 was LEAVE 52%, REMAIN 48% :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, we had armed the Argies too!

Type 42 destroyers HMS Sheffield and HMS Coventry had two sister-ships in the Argentine Navy.
  • Options
    Trump is on a one man mission to destroy the EU and to be honest his attitudes are scary and will cause huge divisions within and without Europe
  • Options

Last time I checked, the French have no territorial claims against UK possessions.
  • Options
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
  • Options

Trump is on a one man mission to destroy the EU and to be honest his attitudes are scary and will cause huge divisions within and without Europe
    Not just the EU, he clearly wants to destroy NAFTA too
  • Options

Last time I checked, the French have no territorial claims against UK possessions.
    I don't care one way or another. The French would stab us in the back, if it suited their National Interest.. One should ALWAYS be suspicious of the French. Its just they way it is.
  • Options
    I love the idea that we’re going to play divide and rule by translating the white paper. Do they think the reason we’re not making progress is that the other member states can’t understand English?
  • Options
    So May is for the off then ? Oh well - not a great PM, wont be missed.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    TGOHF said:

Where has she said she is for off
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

ITS WHAT COMES AFTER IS WHERE THE NIGHTMAE BEGINS....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    The story on the right? No, I think it is just a rehearsal.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Where has whe said she is for off
    Olly Robbins says in the Times if Tory MPs don't want a pusillanimous Brexit they should ditch her.

Ok.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Olly Robbins says in the Times if Tory MPs don't want a pusillanimous Brexit they should ditch her.

Ok.

The headline says "if they dare"

They don't
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Where has whe said she is for off

Ok.
    But that does not say she is for off. She is a bloody difficult woman remember and I doubt she will roll over
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,786
    "...and, oh by the way, the French were really, really helpful to the British: I mean, they shut down all supplies of Exocet missiles and any technical support to the Argentine, but the Argentine managed to set those missiles up themselves on their Super Etendard French aircraft and did a really good job of doing that, but the French, the French have to be given credit for shutting that down..."

“The Falklands War : A Thirty Five Year Perspective”, Brigadier (Retd.) Roderick Macdonald MBE, Marines' Memorial Club, 24 May 2017, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5Z6MgxTsk (it's 1:00:34 onwards)
  • Options
    "...I was particularly grateful to President Mitterrand, who with the leaders of the Old Commonwealth, was among the staunchest of our friends and who telephoned me personally to pledge support on Saturday. (I was to have many disputes with President Mitterrand in later years, but I never forgot the debt we owed him for his personal support on this occasion and throughout the Falklands crisis). France used her influence in the UN to swing others in our favour..."

"The Downing Street Years" (1993), pp173-85, Margaret Thatcher, see here: https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/109110
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Ok.

They don't
    Let's see.

We aren't talking about a GE - just scraping barnacles out of no 10 and 11.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Ok.

They don't
    Let's see.

We aren't talking about a GE - just scraping barnacles out of no 10.
    She may well win a challenge and that would keep her in place for a year or more. And if the brave hearts show as much courage as Boris they will get nowhere
  • Options

...apart from the island of Great Britain, of course... :)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Ok.

They don't
    Let's see.

She may well win a challenge and that would keep her in place for a year or more. And if the brave hearts show as much courage as Boris they will get nowhere
    She needs to win big to retain credibility. Unlikely standing on a platform of the 2017 GE, a soft Brexit and generally being crap.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

...apart from the island of Great Britain, of course... :)
    a) France became a republic in 1792
    b) The acts of Union in 1800/1801 expressly dropped the historic English claim to the French throne.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"...I was particularly grateful to President Mitterrand, who with the leaders of the Old Commonwealth, was among the staunchest of our friends and who telephoned me personally to pledge support on Saturday. (I was to have many disputes with President Mitterrand in later years, but I never forgot the debt we owed him for his personal support on this occasion and throughout the Falklands crisis). France used her influence in the UN to swing others in our favour..."

"The Downing Street Years" (1993), pp173-85, Margaret Thatcher, see here: https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/109110

Britain sold two Type 42 destroyers to Argentina in the 1970s. They were sister-ships of HMS Sheffield and Coventry wot were sunk by Argentina in 1982.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Ok.

They don't
    Let's see.

She needs to win big to retain credibility. Unlikely standing on a platform of the 2017 GE, a soft Brexit and generally being crap.
    I think she would but we will see. However, she needs to make a decision on Brexit now
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Two very good games today, and VAR not an issue in either.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I wonder what the odds were before the match on more than 6 goals in the Argentina / France game.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Britain sold two Type 42 destroyers to Argentina in the 1970s. They were sister-ships of HMS Sheffield and Coventry wot were sunk by Argentina in 1982.
    I know. We sold them stuff, the Americans sold them stuff, the French sold them stuff. It's no big conspiracy, it's because the US/UK/France sell a lot of arms to a lot of people.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Ok.

They don't
    Let's see.

"Let me give you some advice. Assume everyone will betray you. And you will never be disappointed."
  • Options

Very Annoyed Remainers???
This discussion has been closed.