Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo – the betting favourite with a record of disappointing pu

124»

Comments

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

"...I was particularly grateful to President Mitterrand, who with the leaders of the Old Commonwealth, was among the staunchest of our friends and who telephoned me personally to pledge support on Saturday. (I was to have many disputes with President Mitterrand in later years, but I never forgot the debt we owed him for his personal support on this occasion and throughout the Falklands crisis). France used her influence in the UN to swing others in our favour..."

"The Downing Street Years" (1993), pp173-85, Margaret Thatcher, see here: https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/109110

Britain sold two Type 42 destroyers to Argentina in the 1970s. They were sister-ships of HMS Sheffield and Coventry wot were sunk by Argentina in 1982.
    I know. We sold them stuff, the Americans sold them stuff, the French sold them stuff. It's no big conspiracy, it's because the US/UK/France sell a lot of arms to a lot of people.
    What is a scandal is what has happened in the Falklands since...............And the network historically based around that 'road' in NW11 had a lot to do with it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,001
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

You are right on the war itself (though Chile was more helpful probably to the UK than either France or the USA and of course France had supplied Argentina with Exocet missiles, albeit before the invasion)

Mitterand did delay Peru's AM-39 shipment which would have almost certainly ended up in Argentina.

As for the Aérospatiale stay behinds who remained in Argentina after the war started three theories pertain: 1) DGSE asset 2) they had gone native 3) Aérospatiale and by extension the French government wanted the results of the live AM-39 launches. It was probably a combination of all three.

The major assistance we got from the French was a joint detachment from 800 & 801 NAS Sea Harriers who trained with French Air Force Mirage IIIs at Saint-Dizier just before the task force sailed. The French Air Force organised it in less than 48 hours.

My Sea Harrier instructor at Yeovilton was part of this detachment in his youth (although he didn't end up going on Op Corporate) and he said they found the MIII/Magic/Matra R530 combination a stiff challenge and they got, as the French say, enculé in their first few sorties. Without that vital prior exposure to the Mirage Brian Hanrahan may not have counted them all back in.
  • Options
    LordOfReasonLordOfReason Posts: 457

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

So May is for the off then ? Oh well - not a great PM, wont be missed.

Where has whe said she is for off
    Olly Robbins says in the Times if Tory MPs don't want a pusillanimous Brexit they should ditch her.

Ok.
    But that does not say she is for off. She is a bloody difficult woman remember and I doubt she will roll over
    This is a Thomas More moment for May. Maintaining faith in a soft Brexit knowing full well what her fate will be. The brexiteers will remove her. And Gove will take the crown. Regardless what you think of her successor today, they are always very different when wearing the crown.

Is she still a bloody difficult woman, or was that idle chatter about another Theresa May on her way up the greasy pole? You see it’s not just May who has now given up trying to square the infernal circle, the way they tasked the brexit sub committee to analyse and report back shows all the remain voters at top of government now accept the futility of what they have been trying to achieve. They float the soft Brexit plan now, and go down as the brexiteers tear it up.

So No Remain voter as PM. There will be no Hammond as Chancellor either, all the former remainers at top of government, who think Borises “full English” brexit is madness, will pyjamaparty on to their fate in the coming weeks.

I am reminded of the end of BBCs I, Claudius, where Claudius accepts its time for him to go, with knowledge the madness of Nero will take over, but the hope the unpalatable madness and excesses of Nero will hasten return of the good old days.

However, it is a vain hope. When the Brexiteer PM is installed, probably Gove and sometime soon now, the first thing they will do is say “we are where we are, let’s take a pragmatic approach sorting this mess out” and instantly everything will just calm down, and move much more smoothly towards the deal and exit, with a new broad consensus it can only be tidily done going at it a little less hastily and so using salami tactics.
    And that is precisely why they now choose to surrender power to the brexiteers, being a remain supporter May cannot build that consensus or lead the brexiteers into slower and piecemeal exit
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

I don't think it's sensible at all, but if you don't want a disorderly break up of the UK, you need a deal, and that's the only one that works. Otherwise we reverse Brexit which would be my preference.

The disorderly break up of the UK isn't in anyone's interest. You seem somewhat fixated on it; suggesting it is some sort of inevitability sounds frankly ridiculous.
    How would you see the days, weeks and months following "no deal" playing out?
    I think there would be a great deal of anger directed at both the government, and the EU.

Nationalists in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland would blame the former. Unionists would blame the latter.
    Who would Danny Dyer blame?
    Who is he ??
    He's a descendant of Edward II ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052k2jt
    Most of us are.
    Very probably. Not many of us can prove it though.
    A could of kids in Stanford just came up with a compelling model to show how gene inheritance from the male line is far more concentrated than from the female line.
This discussion has been closed.