Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo – the betting favourite with a record of disappointing pu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo – the betting favourite with a record of disappointing punters

In what became the Conservative Leadership 2016, Boris Johnson was not, as we know, the winning outcome. Indeed he did not put his name forward as a candidate. The highest Betfair Exchange odds were 55% on the day after the Brexit referendum.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    First.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Not another thread on yesterday’s man.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    Game on!
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    FPT:
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Having observed SCOTUS quite closely in my little area for the last 15 years, the role that the justice’s clerks play in selecting and then deciding cases should not be underestimated.

Not to mention that all those in the running for the current nomination have clerked for on or other of the conservative justices.

The Supreme Court has been, almost since its inception, a political institution, and although it is habit for justices to pay lip service to judicial impartiality, the only decisions which are not nakedly political in controversial cases are those where there is not a clear cut majority.

That Trump might be able to cement a conservative majority in the court, potentially for decades, having been elected on a minority of the popular vote, and confirmed by a Republican Senate which represents an even smaller percentage of the electorate, is going to be subject of furious controversy for the foreseeable future.
    Only among the losers, buddy. The winners won’t care.
    Republicans shouldn’t complain about a polarised political culture then, like with the Sanders incident, for instance.
    edited June 2018
    Totally OT...are any nations better than their 2014 versions? Brazil? France? And...even if they are marginally better would have have stood a chance against Germany etc of 4 years ago?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    edited June 2018
    With that goal from Junuzaj and that one from Di Maria it is proving a good WC for ex Man U players. Falcao too.
    Getting heated here.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Totally OT...are any nations better than their 2014 versions? Brazil? France? And...even if they are marginally better would have have stood a chance against Germany etc of 4 years ago?

... England?

Belgium, England (hopefully), Spain, Portugal, Uruguay, Switzerland, Japan.

Not many are, with Brazil I still think it’s up in the air. Given they got beat 7-1 last time, Brazil more than anyone will be hoping that this team is better than the one in 2014.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Has Boris been eating too many blackcurrents? He looks like an Umpa Lumpa.
    edited June 2018
    tlg86 said:

I don’t think Portugal are, nor Belgium. Ronaldo is past his prime (albeit still brilliant) and Portugal are totally a one man team. Belgium are weaker in defence with the likes of kompany past it.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

England? Spain? both teams went out in the group stage.

Cracking Di Maria goal! as good as his goal that I witnessed in the 5:3 LCFC vs MUFC.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FPT:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Having observed SCOTUS quite closely in my little area for the last 15 years, the role that the justice’s clerks play in selecting and then deciding cases should not be underestimated.

Not to mention that all those in the running for the current nomination have clerked for on or other of the conservative justices.

The Supreme Court has been, almost since its inception, a political institution, and although it is habit for justices to pay lip service to judicial impartiality, the only decisions which are not nakedly political in controversial cases are those where there is not a clear cut majority.

That Trump might be able to cement a conservative majority in the court, potentially for decades, having been elected on a minority of the popular vote, and confirmed by a Republican Senate which represents an even smaller percentage of the electorate, is going to be subject of furious controversy for the foreseeable future.
    Republicans shouldn’t complain about a polarised political culture then, like with the Sanders incident, for instance.
    I don’t believe in telling people what they should or shouldn’t complain about.

I was just observing that it’s usually the losers that complain
    Foxy said:

England? Spain? both teams went out in the group stage.

Cracking Di Maria goal! as good as his goal that I witnessed in the 5:3 LCFC vs MUFC.
    England are better organized that's for certain and playing a system to maximize our limited ability (which is massive credit to Southgate and the players). I don't known if the squad is as talented though.

tlg86 said:

I don’t think Portugal are, nor Belgium. Ronaldo is past his prime (albeit still brilliant) and Portugal are totally a one man team. Belgium are weaker in defence with the likes of kompany past it.
    Belgium have a decent manager this time.

Not many are, with Brazil I still think it’s up in the air. Given they got beat 7-1 last time, Brazil more than anyone will be hoping that this team is better than the one in 2014.
    Brazil in 2014 had Fred upfront! They had no strikers other than neymar that got injured. They now have neymar, cortinho, William and forminho all playing well. They defence is rubbish though.
    Charles said:

FPT:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

And I was just observing how Republicans expect to do things that are controversial to ‘only the losers’ but then get upset when they face any blowback from that.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Belgium have a decent manager this time.
    I think like England the manager is doing better with what they have.
    The BBC pundits for this game would make a decent strikeforce.

Brazil in 2014 had Fred upfront! They had no strikers other than neymar that got injured. They now have neymar, cortinho, William and forminho all playing well. They defence is rubbish though.
    I forgot that they had Fred upfront. Neymar has been a bit underwhelming so far at this WC though.
    Fazio for Rojo. Not sure if that's an improvement.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    FPT: Mr. B, Grosjean's generally a very good driver. He's had bad luck this year and made the odd cock up too. His qualifying performance was very impressive.
    tlg86 said:

Fazio for Rojo. Not sure if that's an improvement.

They are fortunate to have the option. I really don't get why the foul on Mbappe was not a straight red.

Wow, Argentina takes the lead.
    Well that turned around pretty quickly
    Football is a stupid game.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    At the moment the current favourite to succeed May as Tory leader and PM is Gove. However Boris has more charisma than Gove and polls better with the public while having few ideological differences with him so do not count him out yet. Boris as PM with Gove as Chancellor still seems to me more likely than Gove as PM
    Argentina score to lead France 2-1
    Maybe I won't be watching France...
    What have you got, France?
    Foxy said:

You won't be watching Argentina, that's for sure.
    F1: Red Bull manage to remove smile from Ricciardo for only the second time on record:
    https://twitter.com/alstewitn/status/1013066284572008449
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So is Michael Gove moving onto telephone directories next?
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

I do have an Argentina flag that I used at the Rugby world cup. (also a Falklands one too!)
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

I do have an Argentina flag that I used at the Rugby world cup. (also a Falklands one too!)
    Alf Ramsey had it right about them. Animals.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    France learning that should get two goals ahead when you are as dominant as they were.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    France look rattled.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550
    Charles said:

FPT:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

And I was merely observing that the losers at this point constitute the majority of the US electorate, buddy.

When they next control Congress and the presidency, there will be consequences.

France learning that should get two goals ahead when you are as dominant as they were.

+1.
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

And I was merely observing that the losers at this point constitute the majority of the US electorate, buddy.

I don't really follow US politics that closely, but surely the Democrats should have made these old liberal justices stand down in 2015.
    France equalise 2-2
    Come on, chaps, let's not argue about whose view of democratic discourse is wrong. This is meant to be a happy website.

Not to mention it would be a great moral wrong to besmirch the grand and rare occasion of me getting lucky with an F1 bet with bickering.
    OOh, game on!
    edited June 2018

F1: Red Bull manage to remove smile from Ricciardo for only the second time on record:
    https://twitter.com/alstewitn/status/1013066284572008449

Curiously quaint to hear the C4 team apologising for his ‘language’.
    I can’t imagine more than 0.5% of the population being much offended.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Wow! This is some game
    Even more amazing goal!
    2-2

Plenty it seems. The quality of goals in this game are well above the game itself.
    dixiedean said:

Wow! This is some game

Allez les Bleus!
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2018
    dixiedean said:

Wow! This is some game

Some game indeed -- in (so far) the most dramatic World Cup I can remember.
    DavidL said:

Plenty it seems. The quality of goals in this game are well above the game itself.
    One of these teams with stars on their shirt won't even be making the quarter finals....
    Mr. B, nice, though (didn't hear it so pleased to discover the apology).

F1: about half the markets up.
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I don't really follow US politics that closely, but surely the Democrats should have made these old liberal justices stand down in 2015.
    You can’t make a justice stand down if they don’t want to... short of impeachment.
    (And Kennedy was not a liberal.)

dixiedean said:

Wow! This is some game

Some game indeed -- in (so far) the most dramatic World Cup I can remember.
    TBF Putin has organised a good 'un, both on and off the pitch.
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

You can’t make a justice stand down if they don’t want to... short of impeachment.
    I know the decision rests with them, but they clearly care more about themselves than their cause. Though I guess they claim to be impartial.
    France take the lead 3-2
    France had something in the locker for sure!
    Vive La France!
    3-2, hope France crack on from here. This Argentina team really are terrible.
    Stick that where the sun doesn't shine you drug addled racist dwarf.....
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    I still think Mbappé isn't worth £166 million.

I agree. That was a bargain.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2018
    BoJo – the betting favourite with a record of disappointing punters

The Thread Header ought to read as...

BoJo, the betting favourite with a history of disappointing blunders.

No player is.

It's a silly market when PSG are involved, but he is brilliant. He's one of the reasons why I backed Monaco at 150-1 for the 2016-17 Champions league.
    I'm cheering for France because they helped us with the Falklands, plus I want to see Maradona cry.

Plus I still feel guilty about the events at Mers-el-Kébir.
    Boom!!!
    4-2
    4-2 France, heading the French way now
    They think its all over!

Value may be rising...
    DavidL said:

I agree. That was a bargain.
    Total bargain.
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I know the decision rests with them, but they clearly care more about themselves than their cause. Though I guess they claim to be impartial.
    I think it’s pretty common for justices to feel themselves above partisan politics (however ridiculous that might be objectively), and they tend to have very large egos.
    The fact that so many continue into their 80s is pretty firm evidence that planned retirement isn’t much of a thing with them. (Note Senators display similar tendencies.)
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I'm cheering for France because they helped us with the Falklands, plus I want to see Maradona cry.

..by helping Argentina by selling them Exocets?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Mr. B, nice, though (didn't hear it so pleased to discover the apology).

F1: about half the markets up.

Two safety cars so far in the F2 race, it seems there’s large parts of this track from which it’s very difficult to recover a dead car.
    On topic, if only someone had advised there was a profitable trend to keep on laying the favourite for the Tory leadership.

But someone with £166m does!
    edited June 2018
    One thing is certain giroud definitely isn't worth 166 million....
    Now Neymar Jnr is someone who vastly overrated.

He's a Fortnum & Mason Jason Lee.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    If PSG have to give Mbappe back because of financial fair play then I think I could see City go all in for him.

No, but he does his bit. I don't get too upset when players leave Arsenal, but I was gutted when he was sold.
  • DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    The trouble with Boris is that he has too many skeletons in his cupboard and even his own Sister got so sick of him that she left the Tories and joined the Lib/Dems.

For example a tape exists where Boris then a journalist is heard agreeing to give a friend of his (who later turned out to be a fraudster) another journalist's home address so the friend could have him beaten up.

Boris says that he never actually gave him the address in the end and nothing happened to the journalist, but it sounds bad and you can bet the tape will aired again if he's a leadership contender.

He has also had many affairs outside marriage, he has fathered a daughter with one of his mistresses and tried to get a court order against this being made public, the judge dismissed his application calling his behaviour 'reckless'

in his journalistic career he wrote articles insulting Africans, Buddhists, Jews, Scots and people from Liverpool amongst others. All these articles are bound to be re-published if he tries to become PM.

Boris who is actually very intelligent gets away with a lot by playing the lovable buffoon, but that act won't get him anywhere near Downing Street.

Now Neymar Jnr is someone who vastly overrated.

He's a Fortnum & Mason Jason Lee.

I agree with that one. Great ball skills. No team skills.
    Cortinho is the man that is making Brazil tick at this world cup.
    edited June 2018
    DeClare said:

The trouble with Boris is that he has too many skeletons in his cupboard and even his own Sister got so sick of him that she left the Tories and joined the Lib/Dems.

For example a tape exists where Boris then a journalist is heard agreeing to give a friend of his (who later turned out to be a fraudster) another journalist's home address so the friend could have him beaten up.

Boris says that he never actually gave him the address in the end and nothing happened to the journalist, but it sounds bad and you can bet the tape will aired again if he's a leadership contender.

He has also had many affairs outside marriage, he has fathered a daughter with one of his mistresses and tried to get a court order against this being made public, the judge dismissed his application calling his behaviour 'reckless'

in his journalistic career he wrote articles insulting Africans, Buddhists, Jews, Scots and people from Liverpool amongst others. All these articles are bound to be re-published if he tries to become PM.

Boris who is actually very intelligent gets away with a lot by playing the lovable buffoon, but that act won't get him anywhere near Downing Street.

Skeletons are not necessarily an obstacle to the top job if you are charismatic, see JFK, Berlusconi, Bill Clinton and Donald Trump

On topic, if only someone had advised there was a profitable trend to keep on laying the favourite for the Tory leadership.

Lay Gove?
    Foxy said:

Lay Gove?
    I'm not laying Gove just yet.

I'll probably trade out soon though.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

..by helping Argentina by selling them Exocets?
    They didn't. At least not once the invasion had happened. France were great help to the British during the Falklands including giving us all the information we needed to neutralise the threat of the Exocets. And that comes from a man who should certainly should know and who called them our greatest ally in the war.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1387576/How-France-helped-us-win-Falklands-war-by-John-Nott.html
    DeClare said:

What does he have against Buddhists?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Is it just my monitor, or has a Photoshop gammon filter been used on Bojo's pic?
    tlg86 said:

No, but he does his bit. I don't get too upset when players leave Arsenal, but I was gutted when he was sold.
    Ditto Kante. He is a sensational player, and great paired with Pogba in midfield.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838
    dixiedean said:

Value may be rising...
    He's got a huge amount of miles left. If he keeps playing like this he will be able to be sure LD for a profit.
  • DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    HYUFD said:

DeClare said:

Skeletons are not necessarily an obstacle to the top job if you are charismatic, see JFK, Berlusconi, Bill Clinton and Donald Trump
    Clinton was clean until after he got elected, we didn't find out about JFK's behaviour until after his death, Trump yes but we don't have open primaries where anyone can turn up and try to win a major party nomination.
    Berlusconi yeah but Italy is a funny sort of place.
    edited June 2018
    DeClare said:

HYUFD said:

DeClare said:

Clinton was clean until after he got elected, we didn't find out about JFK's behaviour until after his death, Trump yes but we don't have open primaries where anyone can turn up and try to win a major party nomination.
    I thought there was a scandal around Clinton before he won in 1992?

EDIT: I'm thinking of him dodging the draft, though I think that showed he wasn't a complete idiot!
    dixiedean said:

DeClare said:

What does he have against Buddhists?
    The insulting poem at the Shwedegon pagoda in Yangon.
    Mr. Sandpit, cheers for that suggestion.
    edited June 2018
    DeClare said:

HYUFD said:

DeClare said:

There were plenty of scandals around Clinton even before he was first elected, remember Gennifer Flowers, dodging the draft, smoking pot but not inhaling? Whitewater was already in the media before he was re elected.

The Tory Party lets the membership choose their leader so is not a million miles away from a closed primary in the USA, so even if Boris did not win the MPs vote if he got to the final two and won the membership vote he would become leader.

Mr. Sandpit, cheers for that suggestion.

Also good to see loads of overtaking and a number of different tyre strategies working in the F2 race. Hopefully a good omen for the big boys tomorrow.
    edited June 2018
    Argentina score, now 4-3 to France
This discussion has been closed.