Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight the results from what looks like the final major elect

124»

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The young electrician was right - unless you manage to get the sort of job @MaxPB has it isn't worth heading to London. Move north, and you can accumulate assets.

Who is the young electrician ?

Someone on QT or someone important such as a PBer ?
    On Question Time. The comic on the panel had a massive go at him for being anti working class or something D:
    23:10 in.
    Oh dear. I’m sure at some point the youngsters will vote with their feet. It is difficult if you put down roots in an area. Perhaps what will happen is the current university students will see what’s happening and avoid London from the off. But the bright lights really are a pull factor and most people aren’t as hard nosed as we are on here.
    In reality, the bright lights involve working round the clock in order to live in some crummy rental place and not have much left over at the end of the month. Or, if you have parents in London, live at home. Other cities provide a better lifestyle and the hope of a realistic independence.
    Yebbut as @MaxPB has shown, working hard in London, moreso than any other UK city, can get you very tangible benefits indeed.
    If you work in the City.....

But you’re still a hamster on a wheel, albeit it’s a very gilded wheel. If you have a large mortgage to pay for a flat in London, you are still a wage slave.

What you want - or should want - is the ability to acquire a large “Fuck Off” or “Running Away” Fund so that you are not trapped - as all too many London professionals are - in a cycle of having to work in high earning jobs in order to pay for the homes and school fees and higher transport (and every other sort of) costs and expensive holidays in order to cope with the stress of working every hour God sends etc etc.....
    Most people struggle wherever they are. Bus drivers, solicitors, gardeners, investment bankers. A nice home, children with a good education, and nice holidays seems like a good payback.
    Sure. But that sort of life may be easier to achieve outside of London and is now much harder to achieve for those in their mid-late 20’s in London than it was when I was doing it.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Cookie said:

Cons appear to be doing very well in areas where they're still miles off winning. Which is, I suppose, nice news for them if not actually any bloody use.

Once upon a time, Labour was miles off winning Kensington and the Tories were miles off winning Bolsover. Things change.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Lib Dems have Richmond, the old "quietly confident" has come out.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    AndyJS said:

Nuneaton isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere: it's only a 63 minute train journey from central London. Must be lots of London commuters there.

I doubt it. The service frequency isn’t great. I think it gets one fast train an hour.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    AndyJS said:

Nuneaton isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere: it's only a 63 minute train journey from central London. Must be lots of London commuters there.

Nuneaton is a Coventry offshoot. I’d be very surprised if many commuted from there to London. Most will work locally or perhaps in Brum.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

AndyJS said:

Why am I not surprised that Corbyn isn't going down well in Nuneaton?

But Labour got 41% in Nuneaton constituency in the 2017 GE so he didn't put them off too much then.
    Nuneaton has shifted right since 2010, but not to the extent shown by these results.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    AndyJS said:

Tories will be disappointed not to gain Liden, Eldene and Park South in Swindon, although they have got a small swing in their favour.

could see Tories doing worse in the south....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    AndyJS said:

But the train to Coventry is only hourly and consists of a single-car Class 153 :lol:
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

Cookie said:

Cons appear to be doing very well in areas where they're still miles off winning. Which is, I suppose, nice news for them if not actually any bloody use.

Once upon a time, Labour was miles off winning Kensington and the Tories were miles off winning Bolsover. Things change.
    And so have Bolsover and Kensington.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

AndyJS said:

Labour are taking a battering in Nuneaton & Bedworth.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2016-06-24/nuneaton-and-bedworth-vote-to-leave/

Anywhere which is very Leave, Labour looks set to do badly.
    Indeed. But my view is that this is only indirectly to do with Brexit. Labour have, after all, hardly been ardent remainers these last 12 months. And local elections are not desperately concerned with our relations with the European Union.
    My view is that Labour are doing badly in places like Nuneaton and Sunderland because they are inreasinly seen as concerned with a weird Metropolitan agenda. Now it's also the case that Metropolitans tend to be the keenest remainers, and how an area voted in the referendum was a good litmus test of how disgruntled its Labour voters are likely to be with the sort of Metropolitan agenda currently being pushed. But I don't think it's necessarily the case that Sunderland Labour voters are drifting away because of Brexit.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Nuneaton is a Coventry offshoot. I’d be very surprised if many commuted from there to London. Most will work locally or perhaps in Brum.

Labour will do better in Coventry than Nuneaton, you can guarantee that.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2018
    Sunderland have finished

Lab 17 seats/-4
    Con 5/+2
    LD 3/+3
    Ind 0/ -1
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

But Labour got 41% in Nuneaton constituency in the 2017 GE so he didn't put them off too much then.
    But Labour won it easily under Blair's leadership.
    Sure, Nuneaton has been trending Conservative for decades.

But Labour weren't thrashed there last year as they were in Amber Valley or Cannock or Leicestershire NW.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Nuneaton is now Con +8, Lab -7, Grn -1

That is big churn!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Agreed, you can almost picture the smirk of Vince delivering that line to a journalist (not that he was the source, but I'm sure he was once upon a time on a night like this).

Alas, I decided the swing in odds to the LDs this morning was groundless so took a punt on a blue hold. Still, no official results yet. It was groundless, of course, but that doesn't mean my bet will win!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour have lost control of Nuneaton. Tory gain still possible I think.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    edited May 2018
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

But when you roam from a UK network you get shunted to 3G or lower.
    Cheeky gits. Just about able to watch the BBC’s coverage.
    Happens across the world, not just perfidious paella eaters.
    Do we do that to visitors?
    It depends on what deals are struck between network operators.
  • Options
    For the record I think the same thing about the sudden surge of money on Labour in Barnet this morning - despite my well attested views on the borough generally.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 708
    nunuone said:

AndyJS said:

Tories will be disappointed not to gain Liden, Eldene and Park South in Swindon, although they have got a small swing in their favour.

could see Tories doing worse in the south....
    No net changes in Swindon so far with 7/19 declared, as per BBC. Corbyn apparently visited five times in 6 months.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Peterborough

Dogsthorpe: Lab gain from Liberal

• Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

Yes, it is a technical issue based on the frequencies used by mobile operators.
    Spain uses the same 4G bands we do.
  • Options
    Is Swindon leave or remain, towny or cityish ?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    AndyJS said:

Another Tory gain in Nuneaton:

Exhall:

Con 1,060
    Lab 825
    Ind 110
    Green 67
    TUSC 42

Are the TUSC still going? I assumed they had all joined Labor by now
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Leave but not massively so. Medium-sized town.

Leave 54.7%

https://election.news.sky.com/referendum/swindon-3019
  • Options
    (Who is this LD pundit on the BBC? She just parrots incongruous party lines with no particular relevance, doesn't she know no undecided voters are watching?)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leave but not massively so.
    A sort of middle ground for the country at large :p
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Cookie said:

AndyJS said:

http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2016-06-24/nuneaton-and-bedworth-vote-to-leave/

Indeed. But my view is that this is only indirectly to do with Brexit. Labour have, after all, hardly been ardent remainers these last 12 months. And local elections are not desperately concerned with our relations with the European Union.
    My view is that Labour are doing badly in places like Nuneaton and Sunderland because they are inreasinly seen as concerned with a weird Metropolitan agenda. Now it's also the case that Metropolitans tend to be the keenest remainers, and how an area voted in the referendum was a good litmus test of how disgruntled its Labour voters are likely to be with the sort of Metropolitan agenda currently being pushed. But I don't think it's necessarily the case that Sunderland Labour voters are drifting away because of Brexit.
    I don’t necessarily think it’s because the specific Brexit positions Labour have taken, but rather that Brexit is connected to a social liberal metropolitan /social conservative divide. Remainers as you say tend to be more metropolitan - it’s that view that contributed them to voting Remain. So areas that care a lot about immigration (and immigration was the main reason to vote Leave for many) Labour won’t do well. Basically, the values divide between Remainers and Leavers is being reflected here.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Have Nuneaton council been chopping down all the trees or something?
  • Options
    "Curtice: Might be encouraging night for Lib Dems." Ooh...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

In Spain, they have 4G on 2600 and 1800 Mhz. Your iPhone X definitely supports those frequencies.

(In the UK, I think we're 800, 1800 and 2600.)
  • Options

Cookie said:

True - not much use this election, but you can't win in 2027 without making progress in 2022.
  • Options
    Thurrock - South Chafford: Labour gain from Con by 38 votes
  • Options

Peterborough

Liberal or LibDem?
  • Options
    Labour hold Wigan.
  • Options
    Liberal Party
    rcs1000 said:

Peterborough

Liberal or LibDem?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leave but not massively so.
    A sort of middle ground for the country at large :p
    It was the result from Swindon in both 2015 and 2017 which gave a big indication of what was to come.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

Indeed, I'm using a 4G connection with my UK Vodafone contract in Spain right now, and I get perfect 4G connectivity in Zurich on the same contract.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

But Labour won it easily under Blair's leadership.
    Sure, Nuneaton has been trending Conservative for decades.

But Labour weren't thrashed there last year as they were in Amber Valley or Cannock or Leicestershire NW.
    Actually, Labour won 35% in the borough, compared to 51% Con. It seems the local results are moving into line with the Parliamentary one's.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

In Spain, they have 4G on 2600 and 1800 Mhz. Your iPhone X definitely supports those frequencies.

I’m using an iPhone 5s...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    AndyJS said:

Haven't they all declared now?
  • Options
    Big LD swing in Bolton, winning a previously safe Labour ward. Maybe we will win a few seats in Manchester City Council after all...

(Or maybe not, translating from one Bolton ward to our south Manchester targets is pretty imprecise!)
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Nuneaton is a Con gain officially now.
  • Options
    Bolton:

Horwich and Blackrod : Con gain from Lab

Westhoughton South: LD gain from Lab
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Big LD swing in Bolton, winning a previously safe Labour ward. Maybe we will win a few seats in Manchester City Council after all...

(Or maybe not, translating from one Bolton ward to our south Manchester targets is pretty imprecise!)

Bolton is a special case - massively unpopular Labour council there for reasons I'm not sure I fully understand. They've been losing safe seats in by-elections for some time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Chameleon said:

BBC say it's NOC?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

wow!
  • Options
    Quincel said:

IIRC Bolton was another Labour council which has 'issues'.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Haven't they all declared now?
    Might be one to declare.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 708
    Weird vote/seat relationship in Harlow. 6% swing Lab to Con after UKIP fragmentation, but Lab +2 seats, Con +1. One seat still to declare.
  • Options

Cookie said:

AndyJS said:

I don’t necessarily think it’s because the specific Brexit positions Labour have taken, but rather that Brexit is connected to a social liberal metropolitan /social conservative divide. Remainers as you say tend to be more metropolitan - it’s that view that contributed them to voting Remain. So areas that care a lot about immigration (and immigration was the main reason to vote Leave for many) Labour won’t do well. Basically, the values divide between Remainers and Leavers is being reflected here.
    Not sure it is Leave/Remain or liberal/conservative, but more provincial/metropolitan.

Provincial remainers, for example, are not marching for Europe.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Quincel said:

Bolton is a little sui generis. The Labour council has been mired in somewhat sub-optimal performance for many years.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Really? That is tremendous if so!
  • Options
    Suzanne Evans clearly doesn't believe in UKIP.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Agreed, you can almost picture the smirk of Vince delivering that line to a journalist (not that he was the source, but I'm sure he was once upon a time on a night like this).

Alas, I decided the swing in odds to the LDs this morning was groundless so took a punt on a blue hold. Still, no official results yet. It was groundless, of course, but that doesn't mean my bet will win!
    The LibDems were 10,000 votes ahead in Twickenham + Richmond Park, and the Blue-est bits of Richmond Park are actually in the Kingston Council area, so it's likely they were 12-13,000 votes ahead in the council area last year.

I'd think they'll walk the council this year.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Quincel said:

Bolton is a special case - massively unpopular Labour council there for reasons I'm not sure I fully understand. They've been losing safe seats in by-elections for some time.
    BBC tickers suggest the net Lab/Con/LD/Kip/Grn seat change is currently -5. UKIP's decline is giving independents some life back, I suspect UKIP took the protest vote which some independents had been benefiting from.
  • Options
    Basildon

Lee Chapel North: Lab gain from UKIP

Pitsea North West: Lab gain from UKIP

In Harlow so far

2 Lab gains from UKIP

1 Con gain from UKIP
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Mortimer said:

Cookie said:

AndyJS said:

Not sure it is Leave/Remain or liberal/conservative, but more provincial/metropolitan.

Provincial remainers, for example, are not marching for Europe.
    Yes, but they may still have a more socially liberal world view which influences their voting intention.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

There's the problem, loads of those aren't 4G compatible.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

The LibDems were 10,000 votes ahead in Twickenham + Richmond Park, and the Blue-est bits of Richmond Park are actually in the Kingston Council area, so it's likely they were 12-13,000 votes ahead in the council area last year.

I'd think they'll walk the council this year.
    Zac wasn't involved, was he?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

There's the problem, loads of those aren't 4G compatible.
    Abroad. It’s fine at home.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    CON up infinity is what I'm seeing. ;)
  • Options
    Con gain Breigtmet from Lab in Bolton
  • Options
    Turnout 43% in Trafford !
    Sounds good for Labour that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,482

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    If (IF) the mood music is right about London, then it appears that at least the basic narrative of 'Good night for Labour in London, good night for Tories outside' was right. Nice to know the polls and pundits are right about some things.
  • Options

If they lose control of Bolton...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Nuneaton is now Con +8, Lab -7, Grn -1

That is big churn!

Gonna be a few Tory paper candidates there going "aw bugger...."!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

I don't know which bands that has, but I'd be staggered if it didn't have 2600. If your network operator has a 4G deal with Telefonica or one of the other Spanish operators (Orange, Vodafone IIRC), then you'll get 4G.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Breightmet is, er, not natural Conservative territory.
  • Options
    Tallies from West Tyrone: SF 46-49%, DUP 22-23%, SDLP 14-16%, UUP 7-8%, Alliance 3-4%.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited May 2018
    Result from Aylesbury Vale District Council by-election at Quainton in North Bucks

Lib Dem GAIN from Conservative

Lib Dems 564 (46%)

Conservative 492 (40%)

Labour 113 (9%)

Green 47 (4%)

Turnout 47.7%
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

I don't know which bands that has, but I'd be staggered if it didn't have 2600. If your network operator has a 4G deal with Telefonica or one of the other Spanish operators (Orange, Vodafone IIRC), then you'll get 4G.
    I think some of the early ones didn't.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

We've been overdue for a Labour leadership election...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Does Spain not have 4G?

They do.

I’m on a cheap deal with Virgin. I’m getting movistar in Spain, my guess is I’m getting what I paid for. Not that I particularly care, it’s doing the job.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Turnout 43% in Trafford !
    Sounds good for Labour that.

Trafford voted Remain, it was always one of the best prospects for Labour.
  • Options
    A reminder that the LDs got only 13% NEV in 2014, so the current average of 4% up on those results will just be keeping the party in line with the 2017 locals (18% NEV). The different areas up for election mean that we're gaining seats instead of losing them on the same vote share, however.
  • Options
    I see Tim Aker has won a seat in Thurrock - as an independent. Impressive, and I guess shows the UKIP to Indy relationship is complicated by candidates running as unofficial Kippers in some ways.
  • Options
    Tory gain Pilkington Park, Bury. A ward almost 25% Jewish.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

But Labour win (hold?) Sedgeley (Bury), which is 34% Jewish.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

But Labour win (hold?) Sedgeley (Bury), which is 34% Jewish.
    Tory gain in Kersal (Salford). 40% Jewish.
  • Options
    Labour before tonight: Ed Miliband was a horrific failure who the party owes nothing to.
    Labour tonight: Ed Miliband achieved astonishing results in 2014, we obviously could never improve much on them.
  • Options
    Rumours from Barnet very mixed for Labour. Straws in the wind from Bury and Salford aren't good, but initial results from Wandsworth, Westminster etc show Labour definitely stronger in London - albeit under expectations. Given how close they are in Barnet no-one seems willing to predict either way.
  • Options
    Labour have now taken 4 wards from the Tories in Trafford. One more and they take control...
This discussion has been closed.