Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories look solidly back in third place in Scotland – the

Comments

• Options
    Cyclefree said:
    You needed this story to ask that question?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    More piss & wind.

Has the (unspecified) “senior” (non cabinet attending) minister resigned yet?
  • Options

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

Chancellor - Jacob Rees-Mogg

Brexit Minister stationed in Bruxelles to keep an eye on stuff - IDS

Unspecified cabinet role for Priti Patel

It would be interesting
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

Sending IDS to Brussels is a great idea.
    He doesn’t need a particular post, just a one way ticket.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

Priti Patel would be Minister for Justice, charged with reintroducing the rod and the rope.
  • Options

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

It would be interesting
    As in “May your children live in interesting times”?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

History has shown the favourite this far out seldom becomes Tory leader.

https://xkcd.com/1122/

JRM as PM? I think he would do a good job. He's intelligent, and principled.

However, at this point there are a number of things that mean that the current odds are not generous enough for me to be tempted.

Firstly, we have no idea when the vacancy as leader of the Conservative Party will appear. If
    - as we all hope - Brexit is a success, then I cannot see Mrs May standing down before the next General Election. This means that the other candidates in the next Conservative leadership election could be people we've not heard much of yet: Kwasi Kwarteng, or Rory Stewart sping to mind. (And there may be people from the class of 2015 or 2017 that turn out to be very impressive.)

Even if JRM is the best of this bunch, if Mrs May is leading through the next General Election, then your money is tied up for seven years.

Secondly, if Brexit is not a short-term success, or if economic circumstances weaken, then the leadership prospects of people who most advocated Leave are going to be damaged. (And our prosperity rests on very shaky foundations right now.) Note: a serious recession might have nothing to do with Brexit. But that doesn't mean it won't be blamed.

Thirdly, if there is a leadership election in the near future (say before the end of 2019), then it is far from clear that JRM would make it to the last two. Being the favourite of the members (or even the public at large) may not be enough to ensure JRM gets through to the last two.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Sandpit said:

Ireland, bloody hell.

Well that was an exciting finish to an otherwise boring match.

Oh, and by the way guess who had breakfast with a certain Dutch europop band this morning? :D
    John Whittingdale?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cyclefree said:

Are they insane?

Yes
  • Options
    I'm on Team May.

Like for Dave, I'm now prepared to take a bullet for Mrs May, lest we get the 'dream team.'
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    edited February 2018
    ydoethur said:

I keep on meaning to do a thread asking 'Who is the Lord Halifax de nos jours?'

Still find it astonishing he was the favourite in 1940

Less surprising perhaps when you remember (a) Churchill had come back into cabinet less than a year before after a decade in exile imposed by his hysteria, incompetence and rebelliousness, particularly when you factor in his father had suffered a similar (in his case, terminal) breakdown and (b) that Halifax was personally popular - indeed, he was a very strange omission from Guilty Men, despite being one of the guiltiest of them, for that reason.

At the same time as a peer, a Catholic and an appeaser he would have been a strange and unwise choice and it is to his very great credit I think that he recognised that and told Chamberlain to recommend Churchill.

The one perhaps to watch if there is a sudden vacancy at the Foreign Office is Alan Duncan. He could be promoted to fill the post and take it over quickly although it would unbalance the Leave/Remain cohort in the cabinet.
    Was Halifax omitted from Guilty Men"? He was included in the 15 according to Wikipedia. Have to confess though I've not read the original.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

Well, Patel is talentless, but apart from that it looks like a great plan.

This is the last moment for the Leavers in the Cabinet to put up or shut up - will be interesting to see what happens but the comments are right - if they force a leadership contest one of them will win.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Chancellor Gove would be >>>>>>>>>>> Hammond

Hundreds of MPs would be better than May.
  • Options
    Saturday evening talk about future Tory leader. No mention of Teresa's supposed favourite Williamson though. Surely she needs to think about promoting him to the foreign office soon as Maggie did with Major.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Ireland, bloody hell.

Well that was an exciting finish to an otherwise boring match.

Oh, and by the way guess who had breakfast with a certain Dutch europop band this morning? :D
    John Whittingdale?
    LOL
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

However, at this point there are a number of things that mean that the current odds are not generous enough for me to be tempted.

Firstly, we have no idea when the vacancy as leader of the Conservative Party will appear. If
    - as we all hope - Brexit is a success, then I cannot see Mrs May standing down before the next General Election. This means that the other candidates in the next Conservative leadership election could be people we've not heard much of yet: Kwasi Kwarteng, or Rory Stewart sping to mind. (And there may be people from the class of 2015 or 2017 that turn out to be very impressive.)

Even if JRM is the best of this bunch, if Mrs May is leading through the next General Election, then your money is tied up for seven years.

Secondly, if Brexit is not a short-term success, or if economic circumstances weaken, then the leadership prospects of people who most advocated Leave are going to be damaged. (And our prosperity rests on very shaky foundations right now.) Note: a serious recession might have nothing to do with Brexit. But that doesn't mean it won't be blamed.

Thirdly, if there is a leadership election in the near future (say before the end of 2019), then it is far from clear that JRM would make it to the last two. Being the favourite of the members (or even the public at large) may not be enough to ensure JRM gets through to the last two.
    It's a big assumption that "we all hope" Brexit will be a success. You and I do. Matthew Parris or Alistair Campbell? Not so much.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

Would Gove be satisfied with DPM?
    When Jacob come lately Rees Mogg gets chancellor?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:
    No. It was a cry of pain wrapped in a rhetorical question.
  • Options
    This looks more like a concerted attempt to drive the government’s agenda than a serious plot to install a government of all the shits.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:
    No. It was a cry of pain wrapped in a rhetorical question.
    I've given up asking rhetorical questions. What's the point?
  • Options

Saturday evening talk about future Tory leader. No mention of Teresa's supposed favourite Williamson though. Surely she needs to think about promoting him to the foreign office soon as Maggie did with Major.

He is not getting my vote
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

A Johnson / Gove / Rees-Mogg administration is not a government, it’s a Carry On film.

If you thought the current government was an international laughing stock - you ain’t seen nothing yet.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a big assumption that "we all hope" Brexit will be a success. You and I do. Matthew Parris or Alistair Campbell? Not so much.
    It really hinges on what the definition of success is.

Defining success or failure in purely economic terms is making a mistake and in any case we can never know the counterfactual.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Sounds like the civil service has something to hide.

Time for an investigation into its forecasts.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Great claims require great evidence. All the mad Leavers are very free with their aspersions about the civil service but have nothing to back up their paranoia besides dislike of what they are hearing.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Each week we get a new debrief on the Tory headbanger WhatsApp chatter.

Do you think May is on the same channel?
    Or is she into more into Instagram?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

I weep for my party.

PM - Boris

A Johnson / Gove / Rees-Mogg administration is not a government, it’s a Carry On film.

If you thought the current government was an international laughing stock - you ain’t seen nothing yet.
    Putting Gove and Ress Mogg in charge would ensure intellectual coherence.
    It wouldn’t be what I want at all - but at least decisions would be made.
    As Mr Meeks points out though - no idea how they would get things through Parliament.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Scott_P said:

Wasn't it Tony Blair who talked about scars on his back from attempted Civil Service reform?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

May has given them too long a leash.

And the goon Hammond has gone native.

Time for new leadership,
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

Scott_P said:

The Stab in the Back Myth blamed Jews for Germany's defeat. It was a vicious piece of racism and this has nothing at all in common with it.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, which is why this leak will be aimed at getting the Tory Remainers back into line rather than actually foreshadowing any plot.
  • Options
    FWIW, I don't think civil servants are manipulating anything. I'm sure they are professionally impartial in their work. It is true that most of them supported Remain, and it may be true that unconscious bias influences some of the modelling assumptions underlying their forecasts, but nothing more than that. It's why I take them with a pinch of salt rather than the word of God.

But, far more important is the political leadership given, or lack of it. Right now, we have a void with May and so both Hammond and the Brexiteer purists are seeking to fill it.

The civil service will default to being institutionally conservative and cautious.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Scott_P said:
    Great claims require great evidence.
    Indeed, "Weimar tactic!"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    But we want to publicly hear all about the Treasury's forecasts, about who made them and how they did so and why they continue to be so inaccurate.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Given that the whole of the economics profession near enough said Brexit would harm growth the forecasts are hardly surprising.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018
    Can someone please pass the following message on to Northants council: live within your means, don't spend too much money, and when you run out of it stop blaming everyone else apart from yourself.
  • Options
    Jacob v Jeremy would be the most berserk and entertaining election of all time
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Great claims require great evidence. All the mad Leavers are very free with their aspersions about the civil service but have nothing to back up their paranoia besides dislike of what they are hearing.
    +1 Well said!
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    houndtang said:

And Jeremy would win.
  • Options
    chloe said:

houndtang said:

And Jeremy would win.
    No he would not
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Given that the whole of the economics profession near enough said Brexit would harm growth the forecasts are hardly surprising.
    https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/944507913539858432?s=17
  • Options

Scott_P said:

+1 Well said!
    Spot on
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    AndyJS said:

Can someone please pass the following message on to Northants council: live within your means, don't spend too much money, and when you run out of it stop blaming everyone else apart from yourself.

It’s astonishing that they opened their new £53 million headquarters within the last 12 months, and now come asking central government for more.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A Tory council, with its overspend mostly on adult social care. This is not a spendthrift looney left council.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/02/tory-run-council-runs-out-of-money-to-meet-obligations
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

Scott_P said:

+1 Well said!
    The Civil Service is notorious for frustrating the will of governments -and given the Observer headline, in Weimar Germany it did all it could to obstruct democracy. The Civil Service represents the Establishment. Most PMs and governments which have upset the Establishment have had problems with Civil Service. Remaining in the EU is the favourite cause of the Establishment....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

A Tory council, with its overspend mostly on adult social care. This is not a spendthrift looney left council.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/02/tory-run-council-runs-out-of-money-to-meet-obligations
    And there lies the 30 billion a year hole in the NHS and Social care budget.

Best offers so far from Corbyn and Boris is just 5 billion - a 25 bilion yearly shortfall
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:
    But the Civil Service has been exposed by "Yes, Minister" which as many connected with politics over the years have observed, was not so much a comedy series as a documentary......

Anyone think Sir Humphey would have let Brexit happen without having a damned good go at stopping it?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

And there lies the 30 billion a year hole in the NHS and Social care budget.

Best offers so far from Corbyn and Boris is just 5 billion - a 25 bilion yearly shortfall
    Getting a proper Brexit is much more important than the NHS and social care.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788

But we want to publicly hear all about the Treasury's forecasts, about who made them and how they did so and why they continue to be so inaccurate.

Sounds like the civil service has something to hide. Time for an investigation into its forecasts.

1. List all - and I mean all - forecasts made by the Civil Service (you can stick to just England and Wales if it makes it easier for you) since, say, 2000.

2. List all (ditto) forecasts made by comparable private sector analysts over the same period of the same outcome.

3. Define the outcome you wish to measure against.

4. Define the criterion[1] you use to measure accuracy of the prediction compared to the outcome.

5. Measure the accuracy of all those predictions against the outcome.

6. Publish your results.

[1] I can give you a list if you like of at least twenty-seven metrics, and in conversation recently somebody mentioned a 28th. I nearly lamped him.
  • Options

chloe said:

houndtang said:

And Jeremy would win.
    No he would not
    We none of us know do we, but I cannot see JRM being that popular beyond the Tory faithfull. JC on the other hand, surprised us all with his popular appeal against expectations in the last GE.
  • Options

chloe said:

houndtang said:

And Jeremy would win.
    No he would not
    We none of us know do we, but I cannot see JRM being that popular beyond the Tory faithfull. JC on the other hand, surprised us all with his popular appeal against expectations in the last GE.
    My comment was given to show balance but truth is no one knows
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    stevef said:

Scott_P said:

The Stab in the Back Myth blamed Jews for Germany's defeat. It was a vicious piece of racism and this has nothing at all in common with it.
    Yes, the campaign against the Wreckers in the Civil Service is much closer to Stalin's early years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Party_Trial
  • Options

But the Civil Service has been exposed by "Yes, Minister" which as many connected with politics over the years have observed, was not so much a comedy series as a documentary...

This is like saying you want an investigation into the Stargate under Cheyenne Mountain, because you saw this program on telly...

• Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    edited February 2018

chloe said:

houndtang said:

And Jeremy would win.
    No he would not
    No we don’t. But as a Tory voter in the past I would not vote for JRM and this dream team.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stevef said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, the campaign against the Wreckers in the Civil Service is much closer to Stalin's early years.

Hitler, Stalin... by midnight Brexiteers will have also been compared to Mao, Sutcliffe, the Mongol empire and Milli Vanilli.
  • Options
    chloe said:

chloe said:

houndtang said:

And Jeremy would win.
    No he would not
    No we don’t. But as a Tory voter in the past I would not vote for JRM and this dream team.
    But you said Jeremy would win. I said he would not to balance your comment as neither of us or anyone else can have a clue who may win the next GE
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

stevef said:

Scott_P said:

Hitler, Stalin... by midnight Brexiteers will have also been compared to Mao, Sutcliffe, the Mongol empire and Milli Vanilli.
    I think once you've used Hitler and Stalin the rest don't really add much to the comparison tbh. :smile:
  • Options
    Q) Why do Brexiteers go round in threes?

A) One who can read, one who can write, and the third to keep an eye on the dangerous intellectuals.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

stevef said:

Scott_P said:

Evening, comrades!

Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the heroic Red Army's glorious victory over the evil Fascist invader at Stalingrad!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    viewcode said:

But the Civil Service has been exposed by "Yes, Minister" which as many connected with politics over the years have observed, was not so much a comedy series as a documentary...

This is like saying you want an investigation into the Stargate under Cheyenne Mountain, because you saw this program on telly...

That program just gives the US Air Force a cover story. ;)
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn vs Jacob Rees-Mogg would be the Alien vs Predator election.
  • Options
    I did actually notice this. As post-Brexit we would have no involvement with the Commission, Council nor Parliament, how exactly is this "keeping an eye on" going to work? Is he going to dig a tunnel? Oooh, it's 'xciting!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

twitter.com/duncanweldon/status/959919050733350912

Q) Why do Brexiteers go round in threes?

A) One who can read, one who can write, and the third to keep an eye on the dangerous intellectuals.
    We prefer the term "bloody experts", actually.
  • Options
    Q) Why did the REMAINERS cross the road?

A) Because Brussels told them to!
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

Gotta hide the alien corpses somehow... :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I did actually notice this. As post-Brexit we would have no involvement with the Commission, Council nor Parliament, how exactly is this "keeping an eye on" going to work? Is he going to dig a tunnel? Oooh, it's 'xciting!
    I imagine they want the posting now, rather than after Brexit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

It was originally a movie :p
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

stevef said:

Scott_P said:

Evening, comrades!

Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the heroic Red Army's glorious victory over the evil Fascist invader at Stalingrad!
    Since the the EU has kept peace and avoided recessions in Europe for a thousand years.
  • Options

..."whoever wins, we lose" (the tag-line from the movie). Yes, you got there before me... :)
  • Options

Q) Why did the REMAINERS cross the road?

A) Because Brussels told them to!

You won’t be able to cross roads after Brexit you racist !
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

Weirdly, if I remember correctly, "Stargate SG-1" (the first TV series) is a continuation of "Stargate" (the film): the characters and backstory are the same, just played by different actors.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

You may be having a sense of humour failure....?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

Weirdly, if I remember correctly, "Stargate SG-1" (the first TV series) is a continuation of "Stargate" (the film): the characters and backstory are the same, just played by different actors.
    They did tweak the canon a bit, but otherwise correct.
  • Options
    Brexiteers slating the Treasury and civil servants would be well advised to remember that it was the Treasury who made the case for us staying out of the Euro, in spite of Blair’s initial keenness on the idea.

An impartial civil service is a great strength of our political system.
    These latest attacks make it harder for them to speak the truth to power.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

I imagine they want the posting now, rather than after Brexit.
    Well that's silly, all it would do is get Iain Duncan Smith out of the country for 13 months: why would JRM possibly want such a thing? :):):)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

Brexiteers slating the Treasury and civil servants would be well advised to remember that it was the Treasury who made the case for us staying out of the Euro, in spite of Blair’s initial keenness on the idea.

An impartial civil service is a great strength of our political system.
    These latest attacks make it harder for them to speak the truth to power.

They also forget, post Brexit, the Civil Service will be needed to Take Back Control.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I had it surgically removed as a youth.
  • Options
    It’s getting increasingly hard to work out which bits of Britain Leavers actually like. There’s barely been an aspect that hasn’t caused them to melt down in the last couple of years.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Trouble is that the Treasury plainly produced hyperbolic forecasts before the referendum much to George Osborne's favour. Indeed it was Osborne himself who told us we couldn't trust the Treasury which is why he set up the independent office for budget responsibility. The man has a lot to answer for.
  • Options

It’s getting increasingly hard to work out which bits of Britain Leavers actually like. There’s barely been an aspect that hasn’t caused them to melt down in the last couple of years.

Leavers like Wetherspoons pubs and sitting in laybys on picnic chairs drinking tea out of a thermos...

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited February 2018
    viewcode said:

..."whoever wins, we lose" (the tag-line from the movie). Yes, you got there before me... :)
    "Thousands of years ago, these REMAINERS found a backwater island. They taught LEAVERS how to build, and were worshipped as EU Commissioners. Every hundred years, the Commissioners would return. And when they did, they would expect a sacrifice. LEAVERS were used to breed the ultimate prey. The REMAINERS would battle with these great serpents to prove themselves worthy to carry the mark. But if the REMAINERS lost, they made sure nothing survived. An entire island economy wiped out overnight."
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leavers like Wetherspoons pubs and sitting in laybys on picnic chairs drinking tea out of a thermos...

Wetherspoons are suspect ever since they said they wanted more foreigners let in the country.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2018
    The Conservative Party has gone full-on Cultural Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63xt5AlahY&feature=youtu.be&t=190
  • Options

viewcode said:

"Thousands of years ago, these REMAINERS found a backwater island. They taught LEAVERS how to build, and were worshipped as EU Commissioners. Every hundred years, the Commissioners would return. And when they did, they would expect a sacrifice. LEAVERS were used to breed the ultimate prey. The REMAINERS would battle with these great serpents to prove themselves worthy to carry the mark. But if the REMAINERS lost, they made sure nothing survived. An entire island economy wiped out overnight."
    Damn. I had to look it up... :(
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The Conservative Party has gone full-on Cultural Revolution

https://youtu.be/p63xt5AlahY?t=177

It’s Year 1911.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited February 2018

I've still yet to finish off my rail adventures in the West Country, Southern Wales, Teesside, Morecambe/Heysham, Barrow to Carlisle, Gainsborough to Barnetby, Barton-on-Humber, and Scotland north of Glasgow/Edinburgh.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

You - and all the Remainers.

No wonder the NHS is so stretched....
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

You - and all the Remainers.

No wonder the NHS is so stretched....
    Well, it was very big.

This discussion has been closed.