Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It seems the only exiting going on at the Department for Exiti

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

in 1950 Europeans were 20% of world population
    by 2050 theyll be about 5%

whatever happens we are on our way to being a backwater and there's nothing you can do about it unless we decide we want Irish sized families again

"I'll see your 10 kids and raise you to twelve etc."

There is a difference between becoming sidelined due to other's growth and hurling yourself into the nearest pit. Brexit is the latter.
    Embracing the opportunities available to us with the other 95% [more actually as the 5% includes us] is not a pit.
    And there is nothing stopping us from doing it from inside the EU, in fact it would have been easier thanks to all the new FTAs that are being signed by the EU - FTAs that we are about to opt out of so that we can spend 10 years negotiating the same sort of FTA with the same countries.

Duh!
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

whatever happens we are on our way to being a backwater and there's nothing you can do about it unless we decide we want Irish sized families again

There is a difference between becoming sidelined due to other's growth and hurling yourself into the nearest pit. Brexit is the latter.
    Embracing the opportunities available to us with the other 95% [more actually as the 5% includes us] is not a pit.
    Why does Germany export more to Australia today than the UK does? Why are we not embracing the opportunities today?
    Because Germany is in the Euro at an undervalued rate. Germany gets more exports, despite EU trade barriers, at the cost of depression in half of Europe.
    Are you depressed about Brexit yet?

Good to know that Scotland is outperforming the the EU average.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

This is what happens when you don't triangulate after a 52%/48% referendum result. Not only did May do too little too late to separate Brexit its self from the Leave phenomenon she ramped things up. " Citizens of Nowhere " " The promise of Brexit ".

Instead entirely driven by the internal politics of the Tory Party we've engaged in the world's most complex negotiation as a form of national psychotherapy. The Therapist who is 9 times our size and looking at the clock is increasingly irritated and bewildered.

But unusually the status quo isn't an option. Usually this sort of psychological dysfunction leads to paralysis. But A50 means one of the options definitely happens by default in 18 months time.

9x? The rest of the EU is less than 4x the size of the UK economy and will only be just over 10% of world GDP when we leave. They are losing more than 20% of their entire output.
    I don't think so.
    UK GDP is around 16% of total EU GDP, so rEU is around five and a quarter the size:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
    Whether it's 9x or 4x, 'No Deal' will clearly hurt us much more than it hurts the rEU.

It is absolutely vital to the EU project that the UK is not seen to be getting a good deal - if it were they'd risk others following whenever the going gets difficult. So it's hardly surprising that they will offer as little as possible. I don't condone it, but it's quite predicatable.
    So the 2019 European Elections rallying cry is going to be "we may have lost a foot, but they lost their leg all the way to the knee!"

Polls have consistently shown that the EU27 electorates have a vastly more positive view of the EU than the UK ever has. Is the assumption people will be just as happy when their jobs are being sacrificed in the name of the project?

I remain confident that a mutually beneficial agreement will be reached... five minutes before the deadline. There will also be walkouts and the talks will "collapse" it is the way these things happen - when has the EU ever concluded a contentious time limited negotiation with time to spare?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

GIN1138 said:

Surprised none of PB's 'immigrants cause wages to drop' team didn't post this.

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/909805442196545536

Yeah, I have noticed the (independent) BoE governor and Osborne crony Carney is still fighting the good fight for Remain...
    Go on then - replace him with a "believer".

I's rather replace him with a Belieber... :D
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945
    edited September 2017

I'm struggling to believe that a huge increase in labour at a time of mass automation doesn't drive down wages.
    So it is your anecdote/supposition versus actual facts and data.
    The Governor is quoting from a paper, that is regularly quoted on this subject.

Importantly, in the abstract, this paper makes the following statement:

"Our results also reveal that the biggest impact of immigration on wages is within the semi/unskilled services occupational group"

Later they write:

"The static results suggest that the statistically significant negative effects of immigration on wages are concentrated among skilled production workers, and semi/unskilled service workers."

As far as I can tell the figure they come up with around 2% difference. Not much, but maybe enough to feed a sense of grievance.

This class of worker is probably the one most likely to be complaining about the situation, as it seems the managerial/professional/public sector worker section voted Remain.

edit: the paper: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/research/Pages/workingpapers/2015/swp574.aspx
    The grievance is as much about pressure on scarce public services (like education) and private resources (like housing). Combine this with the actual downward pressure on wages for semi-unskilled service workers and the beginnings of an understanding of the anti open borders immigration sentiment appears.

Mrs May gets this. It is why the establishment knives are out for her.

She was meant to be the grown up who made Remainers emotionally whole after their shock of June last year; instead she turns out to be a tremendous servant of the public. Keep going Madam.
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

Why does Germany export more to Australia today than the UK does? Why are we not embracing the opportunities today?
    Because Germany is in the Euro at an undervalued rate. Germany gets more exports, despite EU trade barriers, at the cost of depression in half of Europe.

All thanks to being part of the Union, call it the Union Dividend.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Zeitgeist said:

GIN1138 said:

Yeah, I have noticed the (independent) BoE governor and Osborne crony Carney is still fighting the good fight for Remain...
    You can't refute the statistics/data/analysis, so you play the man and not the ball.
    The statistics show a 3% decline in wages for every 10% increase in low skill immigrants. Averaging them with high skilled migrants to hide the effect doesn't make it go away.

And that's before you add in the extra taxes for social housing and increased terrorism risk.
    The big issue is productivity. The real reason productivity hasn't improved is that it has been cheaper to hire low skilled workers (because there are a lot of them) than it has to advance processes to avoid wage pressures. Those wage pressures would have definitely occurred had not the number of low skilled workers increased.

Not productivity rise, no wage rise - welcome to the low skilled low wage economy, brought to you by government policy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

F1: still keeping an early eye on weather for Malaysia. It varies between some rain and lots of rain. If that keeps up, Verstappen, Alonso and Hulkenberg may be value. Also the possibility of Sauber points, although odds on that (whilst long) tend to not quite be as overpriced.

Last year, I think, we're off to Malaysia. Bit of a shame as I quite like the circuit.

Yes, it will be the last Malaysian race. Must be really annoying for the teams to visit two places so close to each other with a two week break in between though - both 14 hours’ flying time from London!

Yes it’s often raining there, the race is on at the ‘normal’ early afternoon local time when the storms are in the air. 8am UK time.

Difficult to see past Hamilton for the win here, unless his engine blows up like it did last year.
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

The generosity of the UK in manipulating the economy so that they have piss poor growth while Scotland's is respectable has left me flabbergasted, I'll admit.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

What opportunities are there that the EU prevents us from taking up?
    None. We blame the nearest bogeyman for not getting off our own backsides and doing stuff right. It is like immigration. We could have blocked immigrants from the accession countries in the eastern EU but we chose not to. Now we blame the EU for sending us immigrants.
    What we blame the EU for (in terms of migration) is setting the terms under which migrants come to the UK. It's pretty low risk compared to migration to any other part of the world, because we have a universal (not contributory) welfare system. Because we cannot discriminate under EU law between UK and EU citizens, immigration becomes more of a problem when that immigration is low skilled and can claim in work top ups, rent rebate etc, plus has recourse to the NHS and other public services.
  • Options

Mrs C, think replacing Carney (excepting the natural replacement which always happens on schedule) would be daft.

That said, the new money is rubbish. The plastic fivers are like Monopoly money, and the threepenny pound coins are surprisingly disappointing. The old threepenny bits were better. #numismatics

Edited extra bit: and cutting rates to 0.25% was bloody silly.

Of course it would be daft Mr D, but then, so is Brexit ... ;)

[Extra bit: I call the new £1 coins Thruppenny-bits, a relic of my childhood, but want I really want is the return of that most darling little coin - the sixpence]
  • Options
    On topic, TSE portrays this as a sign of weakness by Davis and strength by May. Far more likely this is because May wants the impossible and Davis is not willing or able to deliver it. As such I think if Davis goes this increases the chances of no deal rather than reduces them. As a Remainer May was never committed to a realistic deal.
  • Options

Theresa needs a Night of the Long Knives.

Sack Boris.
    Sack DD.
    Sack Gove.
    Move Liam to Health and amalgamate his and DD's role, which Hunt will then have as Supreme Brexit Overseer.
    Give Cameron a peerage and make him Foreign Sec.
    Find a role for Rees-Mogg.

Make Liam Fox Ambassador to the Islamic State.

Triggers a by election which one of David Cameron, Ruth Davidson, or George Osborne wins, and becomes Tory leader and PM within a few days by acclamation.

All sorted.
    A plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
    Cameron should be locked in his shed and left to reflect on the disaster he brought to his country for the rest of his life. The decision to hold the referendum was the most colossal and damaging political misjudgment since Munich and man who made it should never be allowed back into public life at any level.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Zeitgeist said:

GIN1138 said:

You can't refute the statistics/data/analysis, so you play the man and not the ball.
    The statistics show a 3% decline in wages for every 10% increase in low skill immigrants. Averaging them with high skilled migrants to hide the effect doesn't make it go away.

And that's before you add in the extra taxes for social housing and increased terrorism risk.
    The big issue is productivity. The real reason productivity hasn't improved is that it has been cheaper to hire low skilled workers (because there are a lot of them) than it has to advance processes to avoid wage pressures. Those wage pressures would have definitely occurred had not the number of low skilled workers increased.

Not productivity rise, no wage rise - welcome to the low skilled low wage economy, brought to you by government policy.
    Yes, ask anyone who invested £250k on one of those fancy roll through car washes a decade ago.
  • Options

The default is WTO hard Brexit on 30 March 2019. Our team have not prepared for that.

Nor has their team, a point which is blindingly obvious but seems to be almost universally overlooked.
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

Which EU countries are in depression?
    Portugal, Spain and Greece have had a terrible time economically in the last 10 years.
    So that's no EU country in depression.
    Geez do you have to be this pedantic and completely miss the point of his comment?

He didn't even say that those countries were in a depression right now anyway, so your smug rebuttal doesn't even work.

Since Brexit this site is just full of these smarmy comments that don't really add anything.

Perhaps this a better comment for you:

The Euro has helped Germany at the expense of a lot of the Southern Euro countries.
  • Options
    Mrs C, I used to collect coins. I think I have a jar of sixpences.

Mr. Sandpit, the propensity for rain is actually dramatically over-estimated, probably due to the 2009 monsoon. After Hungary, Malaysia is the circuit least likely to have a safety car (NB this is based on the usual calendar slot rather than the much later one it occupies this year).
  • Options

Sack Boris.
    Sack DD.
    Sack Gove.
    Move Liam to Health and amalgamate his and DD's role, which Hunt will then have as Supreme Brexit Overseer.

Triggers a by election which one of David Cameron, Ruth Davidson, or George Osborne wins, and becomes Tory leader and PM within a few days by acclamation.

All sorted.
    Cameron should be locked in his shed and left to reflect on the disaster he brought to his country for the rest of his life. The decision to hold the referendum was the most colossal and damaging political misjudgment since Munich and man who made it should never be allowed back into public life at any level.
    Yeah, Democracy is a real bitch isn't it. If only people would just shut up and do what they are told by their betters.
  • Options

The Euro has helped Germany at the expense of a lot of the Southern Euro countries.

Take yourself back to 1999 - http://www.economist.com/node/209559

The biggest economy in the euro area, Germany’s, is in a bad way. And its ills are a main cause of the euro’s own weakness

The numbers certainly tell a bleak story. German GDP shrank by 0.2% in the fourth quarter of 1998, against growth of 0.5% for the rest of the euro area.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
  • Options

Mrs C, I used to collect coins. I think I have a jar of sixpences.

Mr. Sandpit, the propensity for rain is actually dramatically over-estimated, probably due to the 2009 monsoon. After Hungary, Malaysia is the circuit least likely to have a safety car (NB this is based on the usual calendar slot rather than the much later one it occupies this year).

That’s an interesting stat. Bet on the safety car then, it’s much more likely this year than previously when the race was earlier. :)
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Zeitgeist said:

GIN1138 said:

You just need to look at places like Qatar to see how laughable the claim that low wage immigration doesn't reduce low skilled wages is.
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

We voted for Brexit in June 2016. Selecting one quarter out if that is cherry picking of the highest order. Our slower growth now is a reflection of diminishing returns now we have full employment.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

None. We blame the nearest bogeyman for not getting off our own backsides and doing stuff right. It is like immigration. We could have blocked immigrants from the accession countries in the eastern EU but we chose not to. Now we blame the EU for sending us immigrants.
    What we blame the EU for (in terms of migration) is setting the terms under which migrants come to the UK. It's pretty low risk compared to migration to any other part of the world, because we have a universal (not contributory) welfare system. Because we cannot discriminate under EU law between UK and EU citizens, immigration becomes more of a problem when that immigration is low skilled and can claim in work top ups, rent rebate etc, plus has recourse to the NHS and other public services.
    So we are blaming the EU for us have a welfare system that needs adjusting? We fiddle with and change the welfare system all the time and large parts of it do depend on contributions. There was nothing stopping us fiddling with it a bit more. We do it all the time. Heck we are doing it right now with UC being rolled out.

Personally I think it would be a good idea that everyone, UK citizens included, must contribute to receive.
  • Options

Sack Boris.
    Sack DD.
    Sack Gove.

All sorted.
    TSE will have you on Mike's naughty step if your not careful...
  • Options

Nonregla said:

Knives have been out for Mogg, Davis, Johnson and of course May. Current midprices at Betfair for the five in the péloton are

Davis 7.7
    Johnson 7.7
    Mogg 9.1
    Rudd 10.75
    Hammond 11.05

At the moment my (~dutched) investment is in Davis, Rudd and Mogg. Of those, my feeling is that the most likely is Rudd: viewed as solid, having sufficient character to stand in battle for the team, no knives out for her yet.

But those prices imply a probability of 45% that it will be someone else.

The field seems ideal for such a someone to come through the middle. Could that be Dominic Raab? Could he be a north-of-the-channel version of Macron? Any signs that he's preparing?

Since he seems to be a Brexiteer, he's unlikely to be our Macron.
    How about Mark Harper then? Since one can get about evens on it being someone from within the péloton, I'm wondering who outside that group might be a contender. Other than Andrea Leadsom, I figure they would have to be young, photogenic, an experienced negotiator, white and male. If nobody fits the bill, evens on Davis, Johnson, Mogg, Rudd, or Hammond looks like a bargain.
  • Options
    Zeitgeist said:

Zeitgeist said:

We voted for Brexit in June 2016. Selecting one quarter out if that is cherry picking of the highest order. Our slower growth now is a reflection of diminishing returns now we have full employment.
    Here's Q2. Note the scale change as growth in other parts of the EU is accelerating.
  • Options

TonyE said:

So we are blaming the EU for us have a welfare system that needs adjusting? We fiddle with and change the welfare system all the time and large parts of it do depend on contributions. There was nothing stopping us fiddling with it a bit more. We do it all the time. Heck we are doing it right now with UC being rolled out.

Personally I think it would be a good idea that everyone, UK citizens included, must contribute to receive.
    EU law requires us to provide welfare and social housing to low wage immigrants as a condition of membership.
  • Options
    Nonregla said:

Nonregla said:

Knives have been out for Mogg, Davis, Johnson and of course May. Current midprices at Betfair for the five in the péloton are

Davis 7.7
    Johnson 7.7
    Mogg 9.1
    Rudd 10.75
    Hammond 11.05

At the moment my (~dutched) investment is in Davis, Rudd and Mogg. Of those, my feeling is that the most likely is Rudd: viewed as solid, having sufficient character to stand in battle for the team, no knives out for her yet.

But those prices imply a probability of 45% that it will be someone else.

The field seems ideal for such a someone to come through the middle. Could that be Dominic Raab? Could he be a north-of-the-channel version of Macron? Any signs that he's preparing?

Since he seems to be a Brexiteer, he's unlikely to be our Macron.
    How about Mark Harper then? Since one can get about evens on it being someone from within the péloton, I'm wondering who outside that group might be a contender. Other than Andrea Leadsom, I figure they would have to be young, photogenic, an experienced negotiator, white and male. If nobody fits the bill, evens on Davis, Johnson, Mogg, Rudd, or Hammond looks like a bargain.
    The go home vans and the resignation over hiring an illegal makes it unlikely he will be leader.

Which is a shame as I like him.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Boris doesn't come out to well either:

"After all, when it comes to inviting crumpet to accompany him on a state visit to the Republic of Legovia, Boris manages to make even the late Alan Clark MP look fussy."
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

Zeitgeist said:

Here's Q2. Note the scale change as growth in other parts of the EU is accelerating.
    As I said, diminishing returns due to our record employment. Why don't you mention our employment rate compared to the EU average?
  • Options

The biggest economy in the euro area, Germany’s, is in a bad way. And its ills are a main cause of the euro’s own weakness

The numbers certainly tell a bleak story. German GDP shrank by 0.2% in the fourth quarter of 1998, against growth of 0.5% for the rest of the euro area.
    I don't understand how Germany doing worse before the Euro demonstrates that they haven't benefited from it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    I think Littlejohn seriously fancies Boris.
  • Options
    Zeitgeist said:

Zeitgeist said:

Zeitgeist said:

As I said, diminishing returns due to our record employment. Why don't you mention our employment rate compared to the EU average?
    Based on your other posts I assumed you thought that job creation was a bad thing because it attracts people to the country.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Did "isam" get banned again? Not seen him around for a while?

And whatever happened to Boba (and all his accounts?)

And JackW seems to have gone quiet. Hope all is well.
  • Options

Sack Boris.
    Sack DD.
    Sack Gove.

All sorted.
    Yeah, Democracy is a real bitch isn't it. If only people would just shut up and do what they are told by their betters.
    It's truly baffling that people are angry that we aren't going to become part of a politically united Europe completely against the wishes of the MAJORITY of the people.

Yes there is economic pain this way, but no one is killing each other over it. Who knows how much harder it would be to leave in 20 years.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    I think Littlejohn seriously fancies Boris.
    I think that's the most positive Littlejohn has ever been about a politician in his life.

#mustbelove
  • Options

I don't understand how Germany doing worse before the Euro demonstrates that they haven't benefited from it.
    This was after the introduction of the Euro, and if you read the piece you will see a detailed analysis of the structural problems they faced and dealt with. Similar structural reforms also underpin the turnaround we've seen in Spain's economy recently.
  • Options

I am sure you are consistent, so presumably you also think that the other 543 MPs who voted for the referendum bill, including nearly all the LibDems and Labour MPs, should never have any role in public life at any level.
  • Options

This was after the introduction of the Euro, and if you read the piece you will see a detailed analysis of the structural problems they faced and dealt with. Similar structural reforms also underpin the turnaround we've seen in Spain's economy recently.
    They did it by cutting interest rates for Germany, causing a great big bubble for Italy, Spain, Ireland etc. We saw the results of that in 2010.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I am sure you are consistent, so presumably you also think that the other 543 MPs who voted for the referendum bill, including nearly all the LibDems and Labour MPs, should never have any role in public life at any level.
    Time for HMQ to do a Cromwell? ;)
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

Zeitgeist said:

Zeitgeist said:

Based on your other posts I assumed you thought that job creation was a bad thing because it attracts people to the country.
    Then you are an idiot who can't follow a simple argument.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Time for HMQ to do a Cromwell and rule by herself? ;)
    She can call on Ken Clarke, whose record is clean. He has, to his great credit, been entirely consistent, having abstained on the referendum bill and voted against Article 50.
  • Options
    Littlejohn says Rudd hasn't got much going for her other than a willingness to put her head over the parapet. In the current climate of uncertainty, directionlessness and incompetence, that's precisely what may win it for her.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    GIN1138 said:

Was wondering about Sir W the other day. And HurstLama. Neither seemed well men.
  • Options
    Zeitgeist said:

TonyE said:

EU law requires us to provide welfare and social housing to low wage immigrants as a condition of membership.
    Presumably once we Brexit they will just be left to sleep in the streets and under bridges?
  • Options
    Nonregla said:

Littlejohn says Rudd hasn't got much going for her other than a willingness to put her head over the parapet. In the current climate of uncertainty, directionlessness and incompetence, that's precisely what may win it for her.

Unfortunately Ms Rudd only has a three figure majority in Hastings... Very good chance she'll be out on her ear next time so I doubt the Tories want to elect a leader who will probably become the first sitting Con leader to lose their seat since Balfour in 1906.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    GIN1138 said:

I've not been around much - betting chat is thin and more of a meeting place for GO fanboys and Scots Nats.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Was wondering about Sir W the other day. And HurstLama. Neither seemed well men.
    Oh yeah, Hurst was unwell wasn't he?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2017
    For probably the first time ever, the traditional LibDem 'Glee Club' songbook included one which is funny:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/sep/19/boris-johnson-deserves-to-be-sacked-for-his-brexit-disloyalty-says-ken-clarke-politics-live

11:09
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

I've not been around much - betting chat is thin and more of a meeting place for GO fanboys and Scots Nats.

It takes all sorts doesn't it... ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    no post
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nonregla said:

Unfortunately Ms Rudd only has a three figure majority in Hastings... Very good chance she'll be out on her ear next time so I doubt the Tories want to elect a leader who will probably become the first sitting Con leader to lose their seat since Balfour in 1906.
    Hastings will be least of the Tories' worries at the next GE. I can see them being wiped out of London for starters.
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

TonyE said:

Presumably once we Brexit they will just be left to sleep in the streets and under bridges?
    Many are already. See Ben Judah's book 'This is London'. Eye-opening.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Nonregla said:

Hastings will be least of the Tories' worries at the next GE. I can see them being wiped out of London for starters.
    Bring on Jezza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, unfortunately, given 2009 looming large and the numerous safety cars this year (even one at Hungary) I suspect the odds will not be appealing.

Mr. Gin/King Cole, Mr. Llama was posting on Twitter the other day.
  • Options

That's good news. :)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nonregla said:

Hastings does not matter when there will be a perfectly good seat in Maidenhead becoming vacant at precisely the same time Rudd becomes leader.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, unfortunately, given 2009 looming large and the numerous safety cars this year (even one at Hungary) I suspect the odds will not be appealing.

Glad to hear it!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Nonregla said:

Hastings does not matter when there will be a perfectly good seat in Maidenhead becoming vacant at precisely the same time Rudd becomes leader.
    Tory rules prevent chicken runs like that unless your constituency has had major boundary changes.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    t @DannyShawBBC 1m1 minute ago

More on #Grenfell fire: police investigating 8 cases in which people may have fraudulently claimed they had relatives/property in the block

t@DannyShawBBC 2m2 minutes ago

Latest on #Grenfell Tower: police say death toll may be a little less than 80.
  • Options

The article was written in June 1999 only a few months after Gemany adopted the Euro.

If Germany got all their problems out of the way back then and Spain are only just getting over it 18 years later then it stands to reason that Germany have done better out of the deal that Spain doesn't it?

Which is hardly surprising since interest rates were set for the benefit of the Germans while screwing the Southern states and Ireland.
  • Options
    Dear me, the excerpts of Vince Cable's conference speech which have been published look dire. (See Guardian Live Blog, 11:25)
  • Options
    Rachel Sylvester in The Times says

"there has been no substantive cabinet discussion on our future relationship with the EU, nor any agreement around the top table about the trade-offs that should be made between access to the single market and immigration controls."

The Cabinet has apparently not properly discussed the most serious issue any Cabinet has faced in modern times.

Like saying the cabinet in 1940 had not discussed the war.

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Dear me, the excerpts of Vince Cable's conference speech which have been published look dire. (See Guardian Live Blog, 11:25)

Dr Vince made one funny joke ten years ago and revealed he's a ballroom dancer at the time was Strictly hit peak popularity...

Other than that I'm at a loss as to what leadership credentials he actually has?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

Oh dear, more predictable anti-Lib Dem jibes from you.

Tim Farron was superb yesterday.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dr Vince made one funny joke ten years ago and revealed he's a ballroom dancer at the time was Strictly hit peak popularity...

Other than that I'm at a loss as to what leadership credentials he actually has?
    The man who accurately forecast the financial crisis. And, as might be expected, was ridiculed for it. Until it happened.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Oh dear, more predictable anti-Lib Dem jibes from you.

Tim Farron was superb yesterday.
    I couldn't work out why you ditched Tim.

At the election he was the first Lib-Dem leader to increase Lib-Dem seats and share of the vote for 12 years.... Can't see how Dr/Sir Vince is substantively better than Farron.

Shame.
  • Options

"there has been no substantive cabinet discussion on our future relationship with the EU, nor any agreement around the top table about the trade-offs that should be made between access to the single market and immigration controls."

The Cabinet has apparently not properly discussed the most serious issue any Cabinet has faced in modern times.

Unbelievable.

The theory that Theresa May is deliberately testing Brexit to destruction and will ultimately deliver the coup de grace by calling a second referendum in which she'd be neutral could have something going for it.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The man who accurately forecast the financial crisis. And, as might be expected, was ridiculed for it. Until it happened.
    As someone said on here: Vince predicted ten of the last two crashes. ;)

I'm generally sympathetic towards the Lib Dems, but I fail to see what sort of crowd Vince is going to attract over to them.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Trouble with VC is that he is tainted by the student loans millstone, and for the Lib Dems it is a mighty mill stone. VC unfortunately has that to deal with....it got Clegg in the end (BTW I wish his son all the best what a year he has had to endure)
  • Options
    edited September 2017

GIN1138 said:

I remember several people predicting the financial crisis.

It was obvious from around 2005 "the west" was heading for choppy waters... Even Blair knew it was time to get out by Summer 2007.

Although Roger predicted the run on Northern Rock would be "all forgotten about by Friday" but nevermind... ;)
  • Options
    NonreglaNonregla Posts: 35
    edited September 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Nonregla said:

That won't matter, because if they lose Hastings where they have their sixth smallest majority the Conservatives will go into opposition and there will be another leadership election.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

GIN1138 said:

HL pops up on twitter every now and then, as does isam.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Nonregla said:

GIN1138 said:

Nonregla said:

That won't matter, because if they lose Hastings where they have their sixth smallest majority the Conservatives will go into opposition and there will be another leadership election.

Yeah but it's never a good look for a party to lose their leader on election night.

Her majority is too small and the Con membership will take a dim view of her pro-remain credentials.

It won't be Amber Rudd.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I remember several people predicting the financial crisis.

It was obvious from around 2005 "the west" was heading for choppy waters... Even Blair knew it was time to get out by Summer 2007.

Although Roger predicted the run on Northern Rock would be "forgotten about by Friday" but nevermind... ;)
    The guys in the 'Big Short' made billions from predicting it!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nonregla said:

That's a feature not a bug, it saves them the trouble of knifing her if she fails them. Also IIUC the voters generally quite like being represented by the PM, so being PM helps you hold the seat.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

I think HMG will ultimately take the path of least economic and political resistance.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

The theory that Theresa May is deliberately testing Brexit to destruction and will ultimately deliver the coup de grace by calling a second referendum in which she'd be neutral could have something going for it.
    As I've said before, Brexit wont happen.

• Options

Unbelievable.

I think HMG will ultimately take the path of least economic and political resistance.
    is that the one where the Queen takes charge as discussed down thread?
  • Options

Who is "we"?

That was Blair's decision at the time, as part of the New Labour government, and he took a decision he was heavily criticised for by many at the time, including the public polling at large.

The trouble was there was no clawback.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

You wish...
  • Options

Zeitgeist said:

From her recent prouncements and interviews, I'd say Ruth Davidson is pitching to be next FM of Scotland, not a cabinet minister.

But, I'm not sure how she gets there. Even if she does extremely well she'd need either the SNP or Labour to prop her up, or risk an extremely unstable minority administration.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

WilliamGlenn on why Event X (where X is any event humanly possible in the full set of eventualities throughout all time continuums) proves Y, that leaving the EU is madness, and that the UK will be brought to heel and be grateful for it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You've already covered them off in that post.

He is starting to look (how can I put this politely?) a bit Ming Campbell.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

We can forget about any trading arrangements with continental Europe. That bird has flown. Boris doesn't want it. Moreover, such is Leave's fervour that anyone even suggesting it is now being branded a traitor. Just close down DD's department and hand all the resources to Liam. Let's end this farce.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

It will unless the Government falls in the next 18 months, there is new leadership, public opinion rapidly shifts, and the EU27 agree to (effectively) prorogue article 50 for good by voting unanimously, pending a new treaty in the next 4-5 years.

Perhaps a 15% shot.

There's a much higher chance of a BINO, or EEA-minus type Brexit with a very long transition where we leave slowly, and slightly.

If that happens, don't try and declare victory on the second, because we all know you really mean the first.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Who is "we"?

That was Blair's decision at the time, as part of the New Labour government, and he took a decision he was heavily criticised for by many at the time, including the public polling at large.

"We" was our sovereign government.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

But that would require her to show leadership skills which, on the evidence so far, she does not possess.

May will not destroy Brexit, it will be the other way round.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

But that would require her to show leadership skills which, on the evidence so far, she does not possess.

It wouldn't necessarily require leadership, just low cunning, which despite her missteps I think she does possess.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    TGOHF said:

t @DannyShawBBC 1m1 minute ago

More on #Grenfell fire: police investigating 8 cases in which people may have fraudulently claimed they had relatives/property in the block

t@DannyShawBBC 2m2 minutes ago

Latest on #Grenfell Tower: police say death toll may be a little less than 80.

So the exact opposite of what the moonbats and "community representatives" have been saying. Hmmm, some people might think that they had an axe to grind.
  • Options
    F1: bit weird but the full Malaysian markets are up on Betfair. Wouldn't advise betting just yet unless something's very out of whack.

My suspicion is the circuit should be a bit better for Mercedes than Ferrari, but not a crushing advantage. A bit like Spa was. Rain eminently possible too.
  • Options

Who is "we"?

What a stupid response.
  • Options

Who is "we"?

What a stupid response.
    https://twitter.com/Williamw1/status/907217080352743425
  • Options

Unbelievable.

It wouldn't necessarily require leadership, just low cunning, which despite her missteps I think she does possess.
    Maybe but I doubt she has cunning either. In her TV interviews she resembles the proverbial rabbit in the headlights and that suggests she lacks the courage that is an essential ingredient when navigating the kind of political minefield she is in.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

Maybe but I doubt she has cunning either. In her TV interviews she resembles the proverbial rabbit in the headlights and that suggests she lacks the courage that is an essential ingredient when navigating the kind of political minefield she is in.
    The top job often exposes the weaknesses of those who appeared prepared.
  • Options
    I know Remainders have been going through all four phases of grief, but even I am surprised by them reverting back to the first denial phase. They blather on about every minor personnel change or minor internal debate as being evidence of "chaos" before saying the chaos will call the whole thing off. Brexit won't happen at all, except when it will happen to the maximum extent possible. That's in between when an exit WILL happen but in name only as the worse of both worlds. Thankfully these Remainders are lecturing us all on the importance of good sense and consistency, so we can follow their own wonderful example.
This discussion has been closed.