Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Kim Jong-un makes Sir Michael Fallon Prime Minister

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,675

Interesting piece on the vast cash reserves of US companies hold abroad and what happens if Trump acts to force them to bring it home:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/06/write-donald-trump-dollar-peril/

It's AEP, so usual warning about bleak outlook!

We've talked about this here before. If Trump is going to deliver for the rust states that voted for him he needs to get this money back onshore AND have conditionality that requires it to be invested in the US. The latter bit is the tricky bit but small IT companies or other US companies with IP that is going to interest the tech giants with money to burn are looking like serious buys for me.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/sep/06/secondary-school-makes-uniform-gender-neutral

What an absolutely stupid decision. Surely just say uniform is trousers or skirt, pupils can choose, which is what most schools do.

I wonder how long until genders are a thing of the past? Absurd.
  • Options
    Donald Trump Is Making Europe Liberal Again

"Merkel, for instance, has often been criticized by Trump and has often criticized him back. Her popularity has increased, and her advisers have half-jokingly credited the “Trump factor” for the sharp rebound in her approval ratings over the past year.

By contrast, U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May has a warmer relationship with Trump. She was the first foreign leader to visit Trump in January after his inauguration, when she congratulated him on his “stunning electoral victory.” But she was criticized for not pushing back on Trump as much as her European colleagues or her rivals from other parties after Trump withdrew the U.S. from the Paris climate accords on June 1 and then instigated a fight with the mayor of London after the terrorist attack in London two days later. Her Conservatives suffered a humiliating result, blowing a 17 percentage point polling lead and losing their majority in Parliament; it’s now not clear how much longer she’ll continue as prime minister. Trump was not May’s only problem, but he certainly didn’t help."
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-making-europe-liberal-again/
  • Options

"Merkel, for instance, has often been criticized by Trump and has often criticized him back. Her popularity has increased, and her advisers have half-jokingly credited the “Trump factor” for the sharp rebound in her approval ratings over the past year.

By contrast, U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May has a warmer relationship with Trump. She was the first foreign leader to visit Trump in January after his inauguration, when she congratulated him on his “stunning electoral victory.” But she was criticized for not pushing back on Trump as much as her European colleagues or her rivals from other parties after Trump withdrew the U.S. from the Paris climate accords on June 1 and then instigated a fight with the mayor of London after the terrorist attack in London two days later. Her Conservatives suffered a humiliating result, blowing a 17 percentage point polling lead and losing their majority in Parliament; it’s now not clear how much longer she’ll continue as prime minister. Trump was not May’s only problem, but he certainly didn’t help."
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-making-europe-liberal-again/

I think Merkel's popularity has more to do with Schulz being crap.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027
    edited September 2017
    Louise Mensch has fired her lawyer via the medium of twitter.

I would what the engagement letter looked like.

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/905597046580793344
  • Options
    Do we pay them benefits though? Genuine question, I have no idea.

It is another demonstration of the Home Office not being fit for purpose.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

twitter.com/TheStephenRalph/status/905379404838293504

The BBC article I linked suggest those restrictions are in effect.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, but note the protesters had been bussed in by far-right groups. I've got a piece on the state of German opinion coming on the site later today. The latest polling data from Saxony, where she was speaking, shows her CDU on 46% (3.4% up on last time)
    Nationally though the latest poll has the CDU on just 34% nationally and the AfD third on 11% which means CDU FDP will likely not have the numbers for a majority and with the SPD wary of another Grand Coalition a CDU minority government is possible
    How about the 'Jamaica' coalition CDU/CSU, FDP, Gruene
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/german-election-polls-odds-tracker-merkel-seeks-fourth-term1/
    6/1 with Ladbrokes. I was hoping for a German thread from those who know better but that looks like a buy to me.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

"You'll receive the Order of Lenin for this!" :lol:
  • Options

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Give me a ping Sunil... one ping only. :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

If they are not claiming benefits are they not living on their own resources? In which event are they not entitled to be here? IANAE in this but there are very strict rules about what is meant by "own resources" for non EU citizens. I don't think they would be the test or apply to EU citizens, at least not at the moment.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    DavidL said:

It's a disgrace that these restrictions weren't enforced, if remain had campaigned on implementing them they may well have won. Most people were unaware they existed and assumed free movement was what it said leading to open doors to scroungers etc.
  • Options
    I do think a private members bill restricting political cartoons to him would be very welcome. The rest are just not funny.
  • Options
    One of the things I find most impressive about Matt is that I have no real idea of his actual political views. He is able to poke fun at almost anyone or any position if he sees the opportunity.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    nichomar said:

DavidL said:

It's a disgrace that these restrictions weren't enforced, if remain had campaigned on implementing them they may well have won. Most people were unaware they existed and assumed free movement was what it said leading to open doors to scroungers etc.
    I would like to see some evidence to back up the claims in that tweet. From what I've read the benefit restrictions are enforced.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I was just about to write that same thing. The other day he had one about England scoring 458 runs, despite Brexit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If you look at Merkel's polling recovery it does coincide with her trip to the US. I don't think Trump behaving totally cretinously around her did her much harm at home, put it that way. What's striking is that mainstream European politicians who are perceived to be close to Trump (close being a relative term, of course) tend to fare badly in electoral terms. It happened to May - and just look at Macron's decline since he invited Trump to France. Of course, Trump's election in the US and Brexit in the UK was also supposed to herald the rise of right wing populism across Europe, but that hasn't happened either. Trump has set the right back a long way on this side of the pond.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Give me a ping Sunil... one ping only. :D
    "Most things in here don't react well to bullets Brexit!" :lol:
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, agree on Macron and Merkel, but May (lots of Ms around...) is a different kettle of fish. She wasn't sunk by Trump, she was sunk by attacking her own hull with an axe, then sailing into a storm, then setting fire to the sail, then wondering why her sudden expedition wasn't going terribly well. It was the most self-inflicted wound since Sideshow Bob walked into 27 rakes.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, but note the protesters had been bussed in by far-right groups. I've got a piece on the state of German opinion coming on the site later today. The latest polling data from Saxony, where she was speaking, shows her CDU on 46% (3.4% up on last time)
    Nationally though the latest poll has the CDU on just 34% nationally and the AfD third on 11% which means CDU FDP will likely not have the numbers for a majority and with the SPD wary of another Grand Coalition a CDU minority government is possible
    How about the 'Jamaica' coalition CDU/CSU, FDP, Gruene
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/german-election-polls-odds-tracker-merkel-seeks-fourth-term1/
    6/1 with Ladbrokes. I was hoping for a German thread from those who know better but that looks like a buy to me.
    Hasn’t Mr NP one scheduled for later?
  • Options
    Back in the 1980s, we used to pick our own strawberries at a farm just outside Upminster. Not sure if it's still the case.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, I went strawberry-picking once as a child, with the family of a school friend. It was quite nice, actually.
  • Options

Back in the 1980s, we used to pick our own strawberries at a farm just outside Upminster. Not sure if it's still the case.
    Me too. Loved it.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, agree on Macron and Merkel, but May (lots of Ms around...) is a different kettle of fish. She wasn't sunk by Trump, she was sunk by attacking her own hull with an axe, then sailing into a storm, then setting fire to the sail, then wondering why her sudden expedition wasn't going terribly well. It was the most self-inflicted wound since Sideshow Bob walked into 27 rakes.

May drove a lot of essentially moderate people into the arms of Corbyn electorally because she veered so far to the right with Brexit. Her embrace of Trump was symptomatic of that.

• Options

RobD said:

If you look at Merkel's polling recovery it does coincide with her trip to the US. I don't think Trump behaving totally cretinously around her did her much harm at home, put it that way. What's striking is that mainstream European politicians who are perceived to be close to Trump (close being a relative term, of course) tend to fare badly in electoral terms. It happened to May - and just look at Macron's decline since he invited Trump to France. Of course, Trump's election in the US and Brexit in the UK was also supposed to herald the rise of right wing populism across Europe, but that hasn't happened either. Trump has set the right back a long way on this side of the pond.

The recovery started well before the visit in May.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I do think a private members bill restricting political cartoons to him would be very welcome. The rest are just not funny.

The Standard cartoonist that Osborne seems to be so pleased with is particularly poor.

• Options

There are still lots of pick your own places for all kinds of fruit and veg. But they are a pleasure activity rather than a necessary part of the system. It is rare to be in the position that I am in where you can use pick your own combined with our own veg garden to provide maybe 80-90% of our fruit and veg.

This is why the idea that you can limit migration based on pay scales (high pay good, low pay bad) is dumb. We do not (yet) put proper value on the work that is done by the poorer parts of our society. We only will when they stop doing it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

If they are not claiming benefits are they not living on their own resources? In which event are they not entitled to be here? IANAE in this but there are very strict rules about what is meant by "own resources" for non EU citizens. I don't think they would be the test or apply to EU citizens, at least not at the moment.
    The issue is that without any form of border checks cross referenced to employment status for EU citizens it is not possible to enforce any kind of time limits based upon wealth/income. I suppose it comes down to whether someone who is poor/begging/working under the radar would rather be doing that in the UK or their own country. I don't know there is a clear answer to that. I suspect many might rather be poor in a place with better weather.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Who remembers who was SoS for Defence during Falklands or Iraq? It would actually make sense for TMay to keep herself more in the background than Thatcher or Blair did, because of the way she comes across to the public, but I expect she would seize the chance to restore her image by doing an Agincourt or a Tilbury. It won't work, it goes without saying.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The Standard cartoonist that Osborne seems to be so pleased with is particularly poor.

Peter Brookes is not any better.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Merkel visited the US in March. The polling is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_German_federal_election,_2017

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Merkel visited the US in March. The polling is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_German_federal_election,_2017

Ah, my mistake. I am not convinced that is down to Trump. From what I've read Schulz flopped.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Who remembers who was SoS for Defence during Falklands or Iraq? It would actually make sense for TMay to keep herself more in the background than Thatcher or Blair did, because of the way she comes across to the public, but I expect she would seize the chance to restore her image by doing an Agincourt or a Tilbury. It won't work, it goes without saying.

Oh who could ever forget Sir John Nott.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Peter Brookes is not any better.
    Gerald Scarfe syndrome - thinking Mrs Thatcher was so horrible that it was, literally, no laughing matter.
  • Options
    You can all fuck right off if post Brexit I have to pick my own fruit and veg.

I did not work hard at school and university to do manual labour.
  • Options

RobD said:

Very true. Trump has utterly toxified hard-Right populism. Look at its manifestations around the world: the alt-right, Farage, Putin. They now look very dreary and tired, when once they looked set to conquer the world. (Of course, in light of this changing zeitgeist, the British hard Right are yearning for the ascendancy of Jacob Rees-Mogg.)
  • Options

There are still lots of pick your own places for all kinds of fruit and veg. But they are a pleasure activity rather than a necessary part of the system. It is rare to be in the position that I am in where you can use pick your own combined with our own veg garden to provide maybe 80-90% of our fruit and veg.

This is why the idea that you can limit migration based on pay scales (high pay good, low pay bad) is dumb. We do not (yet) put proper value on the work that is done by the poorer parts of our society. We only will when they stop doing it.

A point made yesterday by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Migration:

http://appgmigration.org.uk/press-release-ditch-low-skilled-label-for-sme-public-sector-work-post-brexit-appg-report-recommends/

• Options
    I'm always surprised that there are people who take Fallon seriously, he always comes across as a blustering, ill-informed, vinous balloon to me.

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/905702179255631872

I'm sure he'll be on the first shuttle to Glasgow to defend his new 'UK' shipbuilding strategy.

https://youtu.be/UhSK9j-TtD0
  • Options

When I was at school in the 70s the farmers in the Carse of Gowrie used to have clapped out old buses that circulated the estates in Dundee and picked up pickers every morning. They were a fairly rough crowd and I used to cycle down to the fields to join them. IIRC a day of rasps earned me about £7 and Strawberries (much harder work) nearer £10. It was good money, especially if it wasn't raining.

By the 90s the farmers were mainly relying upon visiting pickers from eastern Europe. They found that they were willing to work harder, more consistently and reliably and were overall cheaper, even if they had to provide basic accommodation for them. I think the farmers would be very reluctant to go back to relying on Dundee casual labour, even if the people of Dundee were so minded. I think a temporary visa for this sort of thing is inevitable.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,230
    GIN1138 said:

Maybe we should offer free movement to Denmark. Not the rest of the EU, mind. Just Denmark.

I read on here that it's all about to kick off again with Catalonia. Sure we can put them at the "front of the queue" for trade talks? ;)
    Catalonia could well seriously kick off, a Spanish friend I spoke to a couple of weeks ago gave similar worries to those of @SouthamObserver below, that the immediate aftermath of the referendum could turn nasty. Lots of unemployed young men with not a lot to do.

At least we settled the issue in Scotland peacefully via the ballot box.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, when's the referendum due? October?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Hear that Anna Soubry has failed to make it onto the Brexit Select Committee again.
  • Options

I'm always surprised that there are people who take Fallon seriously, he always comes across as a blustering, ill-informed, vinous balloon to me.

I'm sure he'll be on the first shuttle to Glasgow to defend his new 'UK' shipbuilding strategy.

Vinous. Good word. I'll have to use that.
  • Options

One of the things I find most impressive about Matt is that I have no real idea of his actual political views. He is able to poke fun at almost anyone or any position if he sees the opportunity.
    The test should be that they make everyone laugh, irrespective of their political views on the subject of the cartoon. Matt's talent is to juxtapose two or more unrelated stories onto a single square inch of the page, and he's brilliant at it.
  • Options

Yes, October 1st.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    RobD said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/sep/06/secondary-school-makes-uniform-gender-neutral

What an absolutely stupid decision. Surely just say uniform is trousers or skirt, pupils can choose, which is what most schools do.

I wonder how long until genders are a thing of the past? Absurd.
    If gender becomes a thing of the past, there's not much future.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Maybe we should offer free movement to Denmark. Not the rest of the EU, mind. Just Denmark.

I read on here that it's all about to kick off again with Catalonia. Sure we can put them at the "front of the queue" for trade talks? ;)
    Catalonia could well seriously kick off, a Spanish friend I spoke to a couple of weeks ago gave similar worries to those of @SouthamObserver below, that the immediate aftermath of the referendum could turn nasty. Lots of unemployed young men with not a lot to do.

Look at how some Catalan separatists behaved when the Spanish King and various ministers came to Barcelona after the terrorist attack to attend the solidarity march. They were confrontational and incredibly aggressive. Now imagine how they will react when the referendum result is ignored by the entire world, Catalan separatist politicians face huge fines and prison terms and the Spanish state takes powers back from the regional government. There is no doubt they will take to the streets and from there it only needs one bad reaction from a guardia civil to a bottle, a shove, some spitting or anything else for things to get very nasty indeed. Barcelona will be incredibly tense in the weeks following he referendum on 1st October. I don't see how it doesn't end badly.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, October 1st.
    Mike's in Spain for most of September.

Just saying.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

The English language has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

'Settled' is optimistic but yes, it's inconceivable that the question won't be resolved one way or the other, through the democratic process.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes, October 1st.

Just saying.
    Don’t worry, nothing much ever happens when Mike’s on holiday...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,516
    edited September 2017
    DavidL said:

Foulkesy is of course its living embodiment, but Fallon is fast catching up.
  • Options

My Oxford college has had the horrible wheeze of getting current undergraduates to ring alumni for a jolly chat and to try and weasel donations (or possibly legacies?) out of them. Not sure whether this is an admission that they will end up working in call centres so they might as well get used to it. On the plus side, I know a bit more about selective call blocking software than I used to.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, cheers.

Mr. Divvie, thanks for reminding me of Lord Foulkes. When despairing of the front benches, it's good to have a reminder things could be worse.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2017

welshowl said:

The English language has a lot to answer for.
    Well as Mark Twain observed girls are genderless (well neuter) in German but cabbages aren't.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Look at how some Catalan separatists behaved when the Spanish King and various ministers came to Barcelona after the terrorist attack to attend the solidarity march. They were confrontational and incredibly aggressive. Now imagine how they will react when the referendum result is ignored by the entire world, Catalan separatist politicians face huge fines and prison terms and the Spanish state takes powers back from the regional government. There is no doubt they will take to the streets and from there it only needs one bad reaction from a guardia civil to a bottle, a shove, some spitting or anything else for things to get very nasty indeed. Barcelona will be incredibly tense in the weeks following he referendum on 1st October. I don't see how it doesn't end badly.

In which part of Spain is OGH?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

My Oxford college has had the horrible wheeze of getting current undergraduates to ring alumni for a jolly chat and to try and weasel donations (or possibly legacies?) out of them. Not sure whether this is an admission that they will end up working in call centres so they might as well get used to it. On the plus side, I know a bit more about selective call blocking software than I used to.
    Probably were doing it to raise money for the Vice-Chancellor's salary.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

South West part of Spain.
  • Options
    Surely the really important question of the day is can Jimmy be 500 up by lunch? It will be a tremendous achievement when it comes.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Following the Vuelta?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes, October 1st.

Just saying.

I'll be in Valencia for the weekend of the referendum. That's close enough to Catalonia for me! There are strong linguistic and cultural ties between the two and so I expect the Sunday night after the independence landslide is announced could get quite noisy.

• Options

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Well away from any trouble then. Unless they go to war with Portugal!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Drought is the big problem down there!

• Options

Sandpit said:

Yes, October 1st.

Just saying.

I'll be in Valencia for the weekend of the referendum. That's close enough to Catalonia for me! There are strong linguistic and cultural ties between the two and so I expect the Sunday night after the independence landslide is announced could get quite noisy.

That's very close! An evening or two to spend holed up in the hotel bar.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I can only speak for about five years in my teens, when most summers days, and evenings from May onwards were spent on the land. The gang van would pick me up at our house and I'd join the usual gang weeding or picking whatever was needed.

As this was Boston, it was singling and gapping beet, weeding cabbages, and later on picking tates. Most of fellow workers were female, because the money was poor. Mostly mothers and grandmothers with time on their hands. The few men were generally in between jobs or on holiday. We'd finish early on Thursday afternoons to allow those on benefits to sign on.

A couple of mornings, we were delayed by a police sting operation. They'd block the street (this was the 60s, so there were no cars on the council estates then). and go through the vans to see who was falsely claiming benefits.

BTW, the ganger wasn't rich either. My parents would know him - he always lived nearby, and his kids often used to work too. We always assumed the farmers were doing very well. I suspect that nowadays, they appreciate young workers with a good work ethic who are happy to work for what was low pay even in the 60s.

Interesting that the Tolpuddle Martyrs helped form the unions. Nowadays, they'd be fascist/racists.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Interesting piece on the vast cash reserves of US companies hold abroad and what happens if Trump acts to force them to bring it home:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/06/write-donald-trump-dollar-peril/

It's AEP, so usual warning about bleak outlook!

We've talked about this here before. If Trump is going to deliver for the rust states that voted for him he needs to get this money back onshore AND have conditionality that requires it to be invested in the US. The latter bit is the tricky bit but small IT companies or other US companies with IP that is going to interest the tech giants with money to burn are looking like serious buys for me.
    This initiative is the key to Trump’s whole economic policy - if he’s successful in funding his infrastructure plan he’ll be re-elected, if it doesn’t happen he’s toast.
  • Options
    Clearly the pensioners need to do the fruit and veg picking. They obviously have the necessary experience and we can save money by reducing state pensions to allow for their increased earnings capacity post-Brexit.
  • Options
    Some say the scribe Mikeyus Smithsonicus was on holiday in Rome in 69AD.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Mr Meeks,

I always appreciate your tongue-in-cheek comments.

Back then, there was a conspicuous lack of toilet facilities, and being the fens, there wasn't a lot of suitable trees or bushes. And some of those cabbage rows go a long, long way.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I suspect that if there were another world war, it wouldnt matter very much who was Tory leader.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Me too. Loved it.
    I used to go spud (potato) picking in the October half term holiday.We thought it was good money aged 14.Can not say it was enjoyable though.I remember the cold misty mornings and the sodden fields but not with affection.I imagine people that age are not allowed to do it anymore.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Sandpit said:

Yes, October 1st.

Just saying.
    The country is huge and Andalucia is a long way from Catalonia! Despite the headline news daily about the issue no-one down here seems very interested.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes, October 1st.

Just saying.

You can be PB's man on the spot.
  • Options
    Nearly all Tory MPs now agree Theresa May should stay on as Prime Minister. She must get the party through Brexit, they say. A leadership contest now would risk splitting the party over the European issue. One senior Tory who was agitating to depose May back in July has told me that he has now decided it would be best if she stays until 2019.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/theresa-mays-exit-strategy/
  • Options

Clearly the pensioners need to do the fruit and veg picking. They obviously have the necessary experience and we can save money by reducing state pensions to allow for their increased earnings capacity post-Brexit.

Interesting notion, which actually has some currency amongst the Brexit Right. We should be more like Hong Kong, with the elderly forced into full-time menial labour buckled beneath the weight of heavy boxes.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/hong-kong-shows-what-post-brexit-britain-could-be/
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Drought is the big problem down there!

As with Catalonia no-one down here in the south talks about it and there are no water restrictions at all.
  • Options
    It is time to for Alastair Cook to removed from the slip cordon and sent to cow corner or Boot Hill.
  • Options
  • Options

Nearly all Tory MPs now agree Theresa May should stay on as Prime Minister. She must get the party through Brexit, they say. A leadership contest now would risk splitting the party over the European issue. One senior Tory who was agitating to depose May back in July has told me that he has now decided it would be best if she stays until 2019.

Yes. She either needed be deposed of immediately after the election or backed through to the conclusion of Brexit talks, though such backing has to remain conditional on her not abusing it.
  • Options
    stevef said:

I suspect that if there were another world war, it wouldnt matter very much who was Tory leader.

Why would it be a world war?
  • Options
    Pensioners would be useful for asbestos stripping. Not much need for precautions either. Nowadays, the main risk would be mesothelioma, but as that takes thirty or forty years to develop, it won't be an issue.
  • Options

Some say the scribe Mikeyus Smithsonicus was on holiday in Rome in 69AD.

On holiday *from* Rome, surely?
  • Options

You didn't work hard at school at all. You had a fag to do it all for you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,533

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The EU is working on a separate Brexit deal for Northern Ireland
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41183041

So the principle of indivisible rights is only a binding principal as long as it suits them ?

I don't mind their playing hardball, but it's the nauseating sanctimonious hypocrisy that tends to wind me up...
    I think this is generally being misread. The correct way to read this is the way that @Casino_Royale reads the issue of the paper on food geographical indicators. The EU is starting to list its wants. Wherever the EU lists its wants, the UK has an opportunity to consider whether it wishes to accommodate them or not. This is progress.

On this particular one the UK should be very accommodating. Northern Ireland has quite enough problems without being messed up further by extreme Brexit.
    I don't disagree with that analysis, but any deal along these lines makes a nonsense of the EU's stance that they can't negotiate on matters of principle.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Compare and contrast to Matt - ES miles behind on humour.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Off topic .I just received a fake e mail I presume , say it is from the BBC saying I have to re register my BBC account details again to be able to receive I player.I have never registered with. BBC account. I still get I player , is this changing and you will have to register ? I pay my TV licence on line .
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, if he was from Syria/Judea, it works both ways :p
  • Options
    Mr. City, they are changing it so you need (online, at least) to enter details to use the iPlayer, but that might still be a fake e-mail. I wouldn't open it. If you need to sign up/enter details, do so at the BBC site.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039

Growing your own veg is tremendously rewarding... And they taste better. And you'd have something in common with Jezza,

Win>win>win. :D
  • Options
    Looks like they are trying to bore us into submission.
  • Options

Another unfunny Standard cartoon:

htts://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/905740107390574593

embarrassing.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,533
    DavidL said:

Alternatively... a bibulous buffoon.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,352
    edited September 2017

Yes. She either needed be deposed of immediately after the election or backed through to the conclusion of Brexit talks, though such backing has to remain conditional on her not abusing it.
    Theresa is in it for the long term. She has no intention of relinquishing power. To cement her authority she needs to start altering the Tory mindset - make her leadership like Brexit in that any criticism of it is tantamount to treason. (This has already started and is looking to be effective.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    Too good odds to pass up I think, Ladbrokes are doing a "boost" promotion too, so I have £10 @ 60-1 on Sir Michael.

He didn't have a very good election campaign for the Tories, but then again who did...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Ishmael_Z said:

Mine too (BNC).

Quite enjoy the annual chat with an undergrad. Each year I say I'll donate when I've paid off my student loan. Getting closer!
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Off topic .I just received a fake e mail I presume , say it is from the BBC saying I have to re register my BBC account details again to be able to receive I player.I have never registered with. BBC account. I still get I player , is this changing and you will have to register ? I pay my TV licence on line .

It may be a fake but actually you do have to now register in order to get iplayer. The BBC have had warnings about this on their iplayer stuff for several months giving you the option to register early or wait until they won't let you in and do it then.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, surely "Jean-Claude Juncker slurring on David Davis"?
This discussion has been closed.