Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson the big loser – Rees-Mogg the big winner in the CON le

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

chrisoxon said:

I totes hadn't heard of James Chapman until he was mentioned here, but he doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours considering he's out of a job.

I wouldn't hire anybody who left an online trail of squabbling with people.

Chapman is not out of a job

Yes, I'm sure Bell Pottinger are glad they're paying him a fortune for the contacts book he's set fire to on twitter
    If he's in a job it's even more inadvisable.
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/897475168188104704
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

More vitriol being poured over Mr Chapman it seems. Part of me wonders if the Conservatives are worried he will have some ex (as they will be) Tories with him on September 9th.

That may be the case, but vitriol is not always poured out of fear, but some people assume that is the case every time, just because occasionally it is.
    What's going on on Sep 9th? *out of the loop*
    I've no idea - the launch of the 'democrats'? As is apparent, I'm taking a more casual approach to politics at present.
    Yeah, Chapman's 'Launch Party'. I guess the concern among the Tories is that he might get an Anna Soubry or Heidi Allen to turn up. Doesn't take many 'events' for the majority to evaporate.
    Few people are bold enough to be the first to jump. Probably dozens of Tories wanted to be UKIP but it took a long time before one of them finally did it, and UKIP spent every moment since then regretting that he did.
    Very true, and a good point about Carswell and UKIP! There's also the precident set by the last two defectors that it's only fair to allow their constituents the chance to deselect them, which will make the decision harder for the individuals involved.

But whatever Chappers is up to, it means nothing if he's not got MPs behind him. A few metropolitan journalists and former politicians isn't going to cut the mustard.
    I think it's very unlikely pro-European defectors have ethical standards on democracy as strong as the eurosceptics.
    Does appointment to the Chiltern Hundreds require the appointee's consent? :)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Gin, he could've been working on it for a while.
  • Options

If it's since before 23rd June 2016, maybe he should have spent some of that time actually trying to keep us in the EU?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

More vitriol being poured over Mr Chapman it seems. Part of me wonders if the Conservatives are worried he will have some ex (as they will be) Tories with him on September 9th.

That may be the case, but vitriol is not always poured out of fear, but some people assume that is the case every time, just because occasionally it is.
    I've no idea - the launch of the 'democrats'? As is apparent, I'm taking a more casual approach to politics at present.
    Yeah, Chapman's 'Launch Party'. I guess the concern among the Tories is that he might get an Anna Soubry or Heidi Allen to turn up. Doesn't take many 'events' for the majority to evaporate.
    Well Heidi would quickly find out in any by-election that South Cambridgeshire votes for a blue rosette and not her.
    Soubry is in a more interesting place politically speaking as Broxtowe is ultra-marginal mind.
    No need of a byelection. With only a couple of exceptions they have never been considered compulsory in British politics.

With regard to JRM's Catholicism, the DUP can work with SF so can work with him, indeed they share a lot of "socially conservative" views. The Moggster will win if he makes the final two, I reckon.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

chrisoxon said:

I totes hadn't heard of James Chapman until he was mentioned here, but he doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours considering he's out of a job.

Yes, I'm sure Bell Pottinger are glad they're paying him a fortune for the contacts book he's set fire to on twitter
    I liked the reply to Chapman's tweet that Andrew linked: "Full Mensch achieved" :D
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Few people are bold enough to be the first to jump. Probably dozens of Tories wanted to be UKIP but it took a long time before one of them finally did it, and UKIP spent every moment since then regretting that he did.
    Very true, and a good point about Carswell and UKIP! There's also the precident set by the last two defectors that it's only fair to allow their constituents the chance to deselect them, which will make the decision harder for the individuals involved.

But whatever Chappers is up to, it means nothing if he's not got MPs behind him. A few metropolitan journalists and former politicians isn't going to cut the mustard.
    I think it's very unlikely pro-European defectors have ethical standards on democracy as strong as the eurosceptics.
    Unfortunately so!
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

dixiedean said:

Off topic, but the youngest's school has decided a new uniform is necessary. Complete change of colours and of PE kit. Available from one supplier only. £150, and the perfectly serviceable old uniform is wasted.
    Is it any wonder people feel the economy isn't working for them? We can afford it, although I'd rather not, but many others won't find it easy.
    Being completely new of course there are no second hand or hand me downs for the less well off.

Why cannot existing items be used and when replaced, replaced with the new, rather than everything having to be junked and changed?
    Is it an academy? Just asking....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Scott_P said:
    He should get Blair, Mandelson and Osborne as co-authors. Collectively they are extremely popular and do nothing but improve the image of the Remain cause.
    :) Naughty but nice!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

In jest no doubt, but surely the answer is yes?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Could he start with a copy of Dan Hannan's latest book about making a success of Brexit, and just change a few words around? ;)
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited August 2017
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Also any MP who did that would be trading the possibility of getting hold of a bit of power via some sort of office via the existing government / opposition against the remoter possibility of a conjectural party coming into existence, gifting them a winnable seat (whatever that would even look like) and then getting near power in a coalition with another party. The latter seems a remoter possibility than the former, and indeed internal pressure groups within existing parties fare no better (anyone still remember Francis Pym's "Centre Forward"?). So I'd expect most MPs to sit tight, suck up and see.

The likeliest recruits to such an enterprise are MEPs who are going to be out of a job anyway by 2019 so have nothing to lose. However, no MEP is a household name (with the possible exceptions of Nigel Farage and Daniel Hannan, who will not be signing up), so their support is of no value. All other MEPs are nebbische who appear to do precisely fuck all of any value.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How long does it take to write a book, have it edited and published?

Given we'll be leaving (well going to transition) in just over 18 months he'd better get on with it... We'll have left by the time it's published! :D
    And be swiftly remaindered?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

Alistair said:

Re the thread header, the one is a function of the other. As the Boris balloon has deflated, the Rees-Mogg bandwagon has begun to roll. The latest comedy candidate has mopped up some of the support of the previous one.

Jacob Rees-Mogg looks like the clearest of lays. I'm not so sure about Boris Johnson. He might even represent value for the first time in many years.

Before I pile on (a few quid at most) lets run a mental exercise.

If JRM gets to the last 2 who could he win against. Who does he lose to?
    I don't see him ever getting to the last two unless Theresa May goes into the next election as leader. Even then I'm very doubtful. The Conservative system is designed to weed out colourful outsiders with minimal experience. Usually it works.

I expect that in the coming months Jacob Rees-Mogg will say something that even the wildest headbangers will struggle to defend (people who are frequently quoted because they are quotable almost always do). The juggernaut will then come to a juddering halt.

I'm very happy with my position on this market. Right now I make money provided that the Conservatives don't choose Jacob Rees-Mogg as next Prime Minister and provided that the next Prime Minister isn't a current Conservative who fails to be next leader of the Conservatives. I expect that I'll get the opportunity to sort both of these holes out profitably in the coming months if I need to.
    Voters won't want a tit as Prime Minister and Tory MPs probably have better sense than to risk their members getting the chance to put this to test.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, you mean write a Lisbon Treaty to Hannan's Constitution?

On a related note, a term for Hundreds as a regional subdivision I recently discovered is wapentake. It's a shame that MPs can't take the Chiltern Wapentake, sounds rather good.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Given we'll be leaving (well going to transition) in just over 18 months he'd better get on with it... We'll have left by the time it's published! :D
    Well, it needn't be that long and he's probably got plenty of free time.
    What does he do for a living now? Genuine question.

I know he's not short of a few bob but he lives at quite a high rate too, doesn't he? Surely he must have been looking for another source of income.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, his wife probably brings in more than enough.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Voters won't want a tit as Prime Minister.

Is this why Labour keep voting in men? :wink:
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, his wife probably brings in more than enough.

Never known what she does. Is she a banker?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    edited August 2017

chrisoxon said:

https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/897498340883013633
    https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/897501003045404674
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Nope, see when Martin McGuinness resigned as an MP (though he was Steward of the Manor of Northstead.)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I suggest, given the factual allegations that are currently flying around that look potentially highly defamatory, that what goes on Twitter stays on Twitter.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

And be swiftly remaindered?
    Offhand, which politician's memoirs would the panel think were the most boring? This would have to be a strong candidate:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Menzies-Campbell-My-Autobiography-ebook/dp/B00J3798MC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502815828&sr=8-1&keywords=menzies+campbell

I mean, who would care, really?

Have any other insignificant politicians with no achievements to their credit written thousands of unreadably tedious words about themselves?
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, she's a lawyer.

Anyway, I must finish go and finish proofing the final half-chapter of a book.
  • Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 262
    Chapman's tweets are turning out to be as factually incorrect as the Project Fear predictions which he probably also had a hand in. Economical with the truth?

Picking fights with Andrew Neil etc is very very stupid.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014

I suggest, given the factual allegations that are currently flying around that look potentially highly defamatory, that what goes on Twitter stays on Twitter.

Chapman doesn't have a blue tick... if he def legit? Seems like a nutter who'd get banned on here if he wasn't an EU lover
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

If it's since before 23rd June 2016, maybe he should have spent some of that time actually trying to keep us in the EU?
    Quite an interesting thought experiment as to what approach the book might take. A self-help book on how to stop Britain leaving the EU ..... for individuals? for groups? for political parties?
  • Options

chrisoxon said:

How can you ban informal contact between anyone?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

chrisoxon said:

Separate WCs.

Just imagine the Parliamentary debates we'd have about transjournalist toilets.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Nope, see when Martin McGuinness resigned as an MP (though he was Steward of the Manor of Northstead.)
    They have to express a wish to resign though surely - the Speaker merely interpreted that intention as a request to be appointed to one of those positions to get around SF's unwillingness to partake in some of our more charming legal fictions and directly request it.
  • Options

isam said:

chrisoxon said:

Separate WCs.

Will the Democrats make it illegal for politicians to date/marry people in the media? Sinister
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I know he's not short of a few bob but he lives at quite a high rate too, doesn't he? Surely he must have been looking for another source of income.
    Companies seem to enjoy paying political has beens to talk after everyone's eaten dinner at their firms.

So he can probably get paid chuntering away about how he almost killed off the Lib Dems. It'll be paid for by the annual management charge on your pension.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Off topic, but the youngest's school has decided a new uniform is necessary. Complete change of colours and of PE kit. Available from one supplier only. £150, and the perfectly serviceable old uniform is wasted.
    Is it any wonder people feel the economy isn't working for them? We can afford it, although I'd rather not, but many others won't find it easy.
    Edit.
    Being completely new of course there are no second hand or hand me downs for the less well off.

I worked with a militant nonagenarian (really) Kipper in Broxtowe to try to break the monopoly that a local clothing firm - they had a sweetheart deal with schools under which they gave the school a rakeoff (10%) I think in return for the school declaring them mandatory. A rival local tailors' shop wanted to produce literally identical clothing at half the price but the school said that kids who used it would be sent home.

This seemed to both of us a ridiculous example of restrictive trade practices at the expense of low-income parents, but the various bodies who I approached all declined to intervene - a matter for the school, blah blah. The school clearly regarded it as a nice little earner. Perhaps this government might take an interest - free competition and all that?
    If they are literally identical, how can they tell? Or do they keep records of who purchased them and compare them with the school register? In any case, ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous it's immoral. It's bad enough that parents incur a compulsory expense, but this is extortion through padding the price and would be a crime in other contexts.
  • Options
    isam said:

chrisoxon said:

Total surveillance state and everyone has their assigned government observer. Would lead to 100% employment too.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    kle4 said:

isam said:

chrisoxon said:

Total surveillance state and everyone has their assigned government observer. Would lead to 100% employment too.
    The people talking up this 'new party' are in danger of looking back at the time they were fighting David Koresh's corner
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Allan said:

Chapman's tweets are turning out to be as factually incorrect as the Project Fear predictions which he probably also had a hand in. Economical with the truth?

Picking fights with Andrew Neil etc is very very stupid.

Davis publishes sensible policy paper outlining an excellent approach to customs - with carrot and stick.

Chappers releases gossip on twitter.

Sums up the two camps approach rather succinctly.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/15/britain-threatens-impose-vat-customs-duties-eu-imports-no-brexit/

"Britain is threatening to introduce new laws to impose VAT and customs duties on all goods from the European Union if no Brexit deal can be agreed, the Government said today.

MPs and peers will legislate to impose new custom duties and VAT tariffs on trade with the EU in case no deal can be agreed by March 2019."
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Edit.

I worked with a militant nonagenarian (really) Kipper in Broxtowe to try to break the monopoly that a local clothing firm - they had a sweetheart deal with schools under which they gave the school a rakeoff (10%) I think in return for the school declaring them mandatory. A rival local tailors' shop wanted to produce literally identical clothing at half the price but the school said that kids who used it would be sent home.

This seemed to both of us a ridiculous example of restrictive trade practices at the expense of low-income parents, but the various bodies who I approached all declined to intervene - a matter for the school, blah blah. The school clearly regarded it as a nice little earner. Perhaps this government might take an interest - free competition and all that?
    If they are literally identical, how can they tell? Or do they keep records of who purchased them and compare them with the school register? In any case, ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous it's immoral. It's bad enough that parents incur a compulsory expense, but this is extortion through padding the price and would be a crime in other contexts.
    It reminds me of university professors demanding certain text books are bought at sky high prices. I'm sure there must be backhanders there too.
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    edited August 2017
    TGOHF said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/15/britain-threatens-impose-vat-customs-duties-eu-imports-no-brexit/

"Britain is threatening to introduce new laws to impose VAT and customs duties on all goods from the European Union if no Brexit deal can be agreed, the Government said today.

MPs and peers will legislate to impose new custom duties and VAT tariffs on trade with the EU in case no deal can be agreed by March 2019."

If the government is sensible, it could use the revenue to cut national insurance or income taxes on low and middle earners.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    I can't work out what James Chapman is alleging past that MPs and journalists enjoy a long lunch ?
    Is that really news ?
  • Options

FF43 said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Edit.

It reminds me of university professors demanding certain text books are bought at sky high prices. I'm sure there must be backhanders there too.
    Hardly backhanders, half the textbooks my professors demanded we buy were written by the Professor himself!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    It will almost certainly be one of the 2. The Tory membership will now only vote for a Leave but Boris still looks more likely to take over in government, Rees-Mogg more likely if the Tories go into opposition
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Companies seem to enjoy paying political has beens to talk after everyone's eaten dinner at their firms.

So he can probably get paid chuntering away about how he almost killed off the Lib Dems. It'll be paid for by the annual management charge on your pension.
    One of the many admirable things about Harry S Truman was that he refused the opportunity to go on a board and earn a fat salary because he thought it would diminish the office of President.

It is even more admirable given that unlike most presidents he was a very poor man and had after leaving office an income of just $112 a month until the Former Presidents Act gave him a pension.

Thank you for the information Mr Dancer.
  • Options

FF43 said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Edit.

Hardly backhanders, half the textbooks my professors demanded we buy were written by the Professor himself!
    Although we usually only get very low royalties for them. I think the average total income for a book - three years' work - in history is around £600.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Edit.

Although we usually only get very low royalties for them. I think the average total income for a book - three years' work - in history is around £600.
    That's still no excuse for restrictive trade practices.
  • Options

chrisoxon said:

Who the frak is James Chapman?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

chrisoxon said:

Our equivalent of Lyndon Larouche.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    On topic, Moggmentum is definitely a thing.

My wife (who is far more centrist than I am) has been hounding me enthusiastically and seriously over the last 2 days on how to join the Conservative Party so she can get a vote in any leadership election.

The £25 didn't put her off in the slightest.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925
    Pulpstar said:

I can't work out what James Chapman is alleging past that MPs and journalists enjoy a long lunch ?
    Is that really news ?

But with alcohol. That makes it immoral see?

Michael Gove might struggle with those rules!

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Sean_F said:

chrisoxon said:

Our equivalent of Lyndon Larouche.
    May I refer you to the wise advice of Alistair Meeks upthread?

It would be embarrassing if OGH were sued by Chapman, and considerably more so if he were sued by Lyndon Larouche.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

My wife (who is far more centrist than I am) has been hounding me enthusiastically and seriously over the last 2 days on how to join the Conservative Party so she can get a vote in any leadership election.

I admire JRM, but I still don't think he's the right candidate to be leader.
  • Options

chrisoxon said:

The saviour of the Remainers, sent to bring them deliverance.
  • Options

To be fair, Davis on Today this morning gave the impression of being reasonably well-briefed and understanding it - elements of bluff and spin (e.g. eliding "negotiating a deal" with "implementing a deal"), but that's pretty inevitable in his current situation.

I think David Davis knows what he's doing, and is giving his civil servants the room they need to do their jobs.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Why would the Conservatives want to change their leader now? If they do, they'll be back into the "seeking his/her own mandate" situation, as well as still having the whole Brexit thing waiting to go pear-shaped on them.

The sensible thing to do, surely, would be to let Mrs May grapple with the Brexit situation and then install a fresh face who can disavow all the errors.

But if it seems sensible to me, it probably doesn't seem good politics to politicians.

Good afternoon, everybody.

Problem is TMay is simply not up to it. Totally inflexible and can't think on her feet.
    Who do you suggest, then, MSmithson? JCorbyn? BJohnson? JRees-Mogg?
    If forced to choose between those four, I think I'd go for MSmithson.
    Is RSmithson an option?
    I'd definitely go for RSmithson.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

One possible explanation is that he wasn't treated with the respect and attention he felt he deserved whilst in his role as CoS of DexEU, which tells you much about his real influence and knowledge whilst in the role, and his ego couldn't handle it.

So now, he's lashing out at the whole lot of them as catharsis.
  • Options
    I think all of these have reared their ugly head here, possibly without the young people aspect.

https://twitter.com/bbcthree/status/897423555717156866
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

One possible explanation is that he wasn't treated with the respect and attention he felt he deserved whilst in his role as CoS of DexEU, which tells you much about his real influence and knowledge whilst in the role, and his ego couldn't handle it.

Totally losing it now:

https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/897514213886840836
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

He was pushing a Hammond style 'sensible Brexit' for quite some time after he left DexEU. The conversion to full-on opposition has been much more recent.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

Totally losing it now:

I like Isabel Hardman a lot, but it's pretty obvious she was a Remainer.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753

Mr. Sandpit, you mean write a Lisbon Treaty to Hannan's Constitution?

On a related note, a term for Hundreds as a regional subdivision I recently discovered is wapentake. It's a shame that MPs can't take the Chiltern Wapentake, sounds rather good.

You could always pop in to your local wapentake for a spot of lunch or a pint:

http://www.wapentakeleeds.co.uk/

I've been there a couple of times - recommended!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Then he'll almost certainly win.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

Exactly. The way it was enforced was that the approved firm put a label inside to show it was from them - so I suppose you can say it wasn't identical, but the label was invisible so clearly it wasn't contributing to the image of the school or the comfort of the child.

Personally I think the whole uniform thing is based on a largely mythological belief that kids will otherwise assert superiority that they other cannot show - but in practice there are any number of ways that rich kids can show off if they want to. The rest of the world largely manages without uniforms without obvious problems. But if we are to have them, then this is one area where free competition should rule.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

Totally losing it now:

Remember you don't kick a dead dog. The Tory Leavers doth protest too much about Chapman.
  • Options

isam said:

chrisoxon said:

Separate WCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZAYdHcDtU
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    AnneJGP said:

Quite an interesting thought experiment as to what approach the book might take. A self-help book on how to stop Britain leaving the EU ..... for individuals? for groups? for political parties?
    "The Ladybird Book of Defying Democracy"
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

Totally losing it now:

Remember you don't kick a dead dog. The Tory Leavers doth protest too much about Chapman.
    I think at the moment they're finding him funny and are at the same time very relieved it isn't somebody intelligent, level-headed and well-known making this case.

Personally, I think hIs Twitter stream is an embarrassment to those of us who were Remainers.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899

I'm surprised, Casino.

I'd have thought to join that bunch of malcontents and reprobates Mrs Royale would have demanded they give her at least £50 before she signs up.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

It will almost certainly be one of the 2. The Tory membership will now only vote for a Leave but Boris still looks more likely to take over in government, Rees-Mogg more likely if the Tories go into opposition

When will we see the Stop Mogg operation swing into action? Maybe his other non-Cabinet rivals are still on the beaches?
  • Options
    stodge said:

I'm surprised, Casino.

I'd have thought to join that bunch of malcontents and reprobates Mrs Royale would have demanded they give her at least £50 before she signs up.

She hasn't been persuadable before.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

Totally losing it now:

I don't think it's protesting, I think it's wry amusement.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863

AnneJGP said:

Why would the Conservatives want to change their leader now? If they do, they'll be back into the "seeking his/her own mandate" situation, as well as still having the whole Brexit thing waiting to go pear-shaped on them.

The sensible thing to do, surely, would be to let Mrs May grapple with the Brexit situation and then install a fresh face who can disavow all the errors.

But if it seems sensible to me, it probably doesn't seem good politics to politicians.

Good afternoon, everybody.

Problem is TMay is simply not up to it. Totally inflexible and can't think on her feet.
    Who do you suggest, then, MSmithson? JCorbyn? BJohnson? JRees-Mogg?
    If forced to choose between those four, I think I'd go for MSmithson.
    Is RSmithson an option?
    I'd definitely go for RSmithson.
    Hasn't he done a DMilliband, though, and moved to the US... ?

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

Totally losing it now:

I think at the moment they're finding him funny and are at the same time very relieved it isn't somebody intelligent, level-headed and well-known making this case.

Personally, I think hIs Twitter stream is an embarrassment to those of us who were Remainers.
    You are doing exactly the same. A tad pathetic.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Who is?

In a field of uninspiring candidates, members might go for the charismatic candidate who can at least offer a coherent intellectual defence of Conservatism, does so with confidence, and treats everyone with respect, like JRM does.

I'd take him over Boris, for example.

Does that sound familiar?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Democracy for Dummies.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

Totally losing it now:

No - entirely rational.

To put one point in context, you urge people to respond to his arguments. His arguments are about David Davis' private drinking arrangements with Andrew Neil, John Humphrys' holiday habits and Isabel Oakeshot's skills in psychiatry. None of which are real!

How do you engage with those arguments?

It is of course true that he is at least cutting through to Brexiteers, but if all they do is point, laugh and boast of their intellectual superiority, what's gained by it?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

:smiley:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Is that really news ?

Totally losing it now:

Has your Jonestown hoodie been delivered yet?
  • Options
    Reaching a new low.
    James Chapman‏ @jameschappers 2m
    "Where is @borisjohnson? Is he with his wife? #byebyebozo #thedemocrats"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899

She hasn't been persuadable before.

I really can't speak to that.

• Options
    Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

Not exactly launching a new party in an edifying way.
  • Options
    Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

Feeling very sorry for Mrs Chapman right now, they're supposed to be on holiday together.

Guido is suggesting that all hasn't been well with Chappers for quite a while.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It is of course true that he is at least cutting through to Brexiteers, but if all they do is point, laugh and boast of their intellectual superiority, what's gained by it?

Brexit didn't come about in a vacuum. There are real people behind it across politics and the media - people who haven't just drunk the kool-aid but people who made the formula. Fighting back is going to be inherently personal. If Brexit was a revolution, the Bresistence is a counter revolution whose aim is to sweep from power the people and the ideas which brought us to this place.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

Feeling very sorry for Mrs Chapman right now, they're supposed to be on holiday together.

Not sure that can be relied on, as Chappers and Guido are at war judging by the last week's tweets.

Still, it is a bizarre form of holiday.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Brexit didn't come about in a vacuum. There are real people behind it across politics and the media - people who haven't just drunk the kool-aid but people who made the formula. Fighting back is going to be inherently personal. If Brexit was a revolution, the Bresistence is a counter revolution whose aim is to sweep from power the people and the ideas which brought us to this place.
    That's fine, but going around insulting and lashing out at people as he is doing hardly seems productive in that regard, except in getting insults returned in kind, which just feeds the culture that is meant to being swept away.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

ydoethur said:

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and man to pig, and pig to man again - but already it was impossible to say which was which.

I find this whole sterile debate disheartening. See you tomorrow.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    OT what are JRM 's views and voting record on gay rights, abortion and other social issues? Whilst not a bar to the tory leadership might restrict his appeal to the younger voter.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

Not sure that can be relied on, as Chappers and Guido are at war judging by the last week's tweets.

Yeah, he's quickly losing friends all over the media, quite what his new employer Bell Pottinger think of all this I wouldn't want to hazard a guess.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Quite a conundrum. Seems to me that the people & the ideas which brought us to this place were much more keen on the EU than they were on persuading the population why the EU was such a good idea.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

Yeah, he's quickly losing friends all over the media, quite what his new employer Bell Pottinger think of all this I wouldn't want to hazard a guess.
    The people now running Bell Pottinger thought their client in South Africa was a good idea as well as hiring Chapman.
    http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/bell-pottinger-summoned-disciplinary-committee-south-africa/1441901
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867

Suspect he's planning a book and needs the publicity.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

https://order-order.com/2017/08/15/concerns-raised-chappers/
    "On Facebook and Instagram there have been grim late night posts – subsequently deleted. Chapman was escorted out of parliament a few weeks ago after a particularly drunken episode. He has abused those who have tried to reason with him. All this has been an open secret in SW1 for weeks."
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for Brexit, sometime in your life." - Sunil Prasannan
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    nichomar said:

OT what are JRM 's views and voting record on gay rights, abortion and other social issues? Whilst not a bar to the tory leadership might restrict his appeal to the younger voter.

The advantage of JRM is that he's clever, and clever people have sensible opinions. I'd bet that he is very straightforward about all those issues.

I've long mentioned JRM as a potential next leader - I now don't think it'll happen though. I don't think he wants to be PM, and would only take the job in times of national crisis etc (aka Post Corbyn, and if Corbyn gets elected to run a stamp club then there should be a Tory purge).

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    I'm not taking James Chapman seriously or expending any thought on him. Should I?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Reaching a new low.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for Brexit, sometime in your life." - Sunil Prasannan
    Pity there's nobody old enough to give an equivalent to the Lloyd Bentsen to Dan Quayle riposte.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you're_no_Jack_Kennedy
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited August 2017

ydoethur said:

Nothing comes about in a vacuum, and you cannot sweep from power 52% of the voting public. And anyway, if you do believe - contrary to any polling - that there is real public appetite for Bremain you should be beside yourself with rage, because this bloke is using up and will ultimately squander that appetite when he personally comes crashing down. This episode reminds me of the disgusting behaviour of the LDs over poor old Charles Kennedy, propping him up for party purposes instead of letting him quietly stand down and seek help.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Monnet, Giscard d'Estaing...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Edit.

If each Professor's book is only bought by his own pupils then that's hardly a shock.
This discussion has been closed.