Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson the big loser – Rees-Mogg the big winner in the CON le

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Why is Charles so unpopular out of interest? I feel kind of 'meh' about him becoming King.

In my case, it is the (unchallenged as far as I know) claim that he married Diana with the intention of carrying on business as usual with Camilla throughout the engagement and afterwards. Most of us have behaved appallingly in the sphere of sexual relations at some stage in our lives, but that is taking chumpishness to an entirely new level.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

kle4 said:

I've got it when Her Majesty goes to the great palace in the sky, make Charles 'Defender of Faiths' and make William 'Fidei defensor.'

Hey, if the Tetrarchy worked for the Romans (at least for a transitionary period) then a diarchy should be fine.
    Somebody I know hosted both the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and then a few years later Prince Charles, he said you wouldn't believe that Charles was their son.

Her Majesty and The Duke were brilliant, made everyone feel at ease, and were low maintenance.

Before Charles arrived, his staff sent memos explaining what they expected, such as one day old bread sandwiches, cut straight, not diagonally, and the brand of toilet paper Charles used.
    He's a straight cut rather than diagonal cut man? Good stuff, He'll make a fine king.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why is Charles so unpopular out of interest? I feel kind of 'meh' about him becoming King.

Unlike Her Majesty people know something of his views - on the environment and the like - and they don't like it, he's boring but without the decades on the throne nation's grandmother vibe of his mother, and he cheated on Saint Diana.

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Incredible ! No one has mentioned Theresa May in the entire evening. She has become the forgotten woman.

Upthread

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/897562893440372736/photo/1
    Macron's ratings are pretty poor as of late.
    Already? That was a short honeymoon! I know no-one could live up to the expectations caused by his meteoric rise, but still.
    Haven't read too much of Charles' views of the environment but from the brief references I've seen, it appears he believes in climate change and cares about the environment. Wouldn't have thought that would be too controversial.

According to a recent poll, his approval rating is 36%, with 64% disapproving.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Apres Liz, la deluge. Of course he succeeds the very instant of her death which strengthens his position a lot, but there will still be a shitstorm.
    If you decide the heir is unsuitable, the monarcy is finished. It ia a lottery (albeit a genetic one) as to who is heir, and like the regular lottery, suitability is not part of the deal.

If Charles is not king, then the Monarchy is dead as a tradition.
    Indeed so. A short amd bumbling reign and harmful abdication after would be less damaging than just skipping the one people think they wouldn't like.

This is why Renly Baratheon was such a threat - if people decide the rules of succession go out the window for a king, they do for everyone else.

Or to be more real life, do it for Charles, then you might as well for Will (he's less popular than he used to be, ever since he started going bald probably). Then why restrict yourself to a single family at all.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

a quite monstrous lie in big scary letters because (I am guessing here) some things are just too important to tell the truth about.

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    Bugger the transcript, here it is, about 0:30 onwards

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/trump-maintains-there-was-blame-on-both-sides-at-charlottesville-rally/news-story/046309aebe906852166d4343cf3df601
    I think the disputed bit (immediately before the section you refer to) was edited out of that video. You would need to point to an unedited video.
    The video is posted by me at 10:50
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

In my case, it is the (unchallenged as far as I know) claim that he married Diana with the intention of carrying on business as usual with Camilla throughout the engagement and afterwards. Most of us have behaved appallingly in the sphere of sexual relations at some stage in our lives, but that is taking chumpishness to an entirely new level.
    Wow....

That's awful, if true. Poor Diana.

I wonder if Camilla will become Queen when Charles becomes King? Camilla is a divorcee, so I would think that would put a spanner in the works in regards to that....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Unlike Her Majesty people know something of his views - on the environment and the like - and they don't like it, he's boring but without the decades on the throne nation's grandmother vibe of his mother, and he cheated on Saint Diana.

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Incredible ! No one has mentioned Theresa May in the entire evening. She has become the forgotten woman.

Upthread

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/897562893440372736/photo/1
    Macron's ratings are pretty poor as of late.
    Already? That was a short honeymoon! I know no-one could live up to the expectations caused by his meteoric rise, but still.
    Haven't read too much of Charles' views of the environment but from the brief references I've seen, it appears he believes in climate change and cares about the environment. Wouldn't have thought that would be too controversial.
    I think it's the view he's a bit of a new agey hippy, but more just that he is outspoken about these things at all, when the thing HM has managed very well is that we don't know what she thinks about a lot of things, and we prefer it that way. Not something a non head of state could really manage for 60+ years as a waiting heir.
This discussion has been closed.