Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson the big loser – Rees-Mogg the big winner in the CON le

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tlg86 said:

Totally off topic, but Liverpool can no longer be considered to be a big club. Unnecessarily wearing a change kit is a disgrace.

Why are you blatantly trolling me? What have I ever done to you?

At least clubs have dropped their 'Champions League Only' kits.
    I suppose it is because Arsenals Champions League only kit doesn't exist this year :)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Scott_P said:
    This is shoddy journalism. There has only ever been one official Grand Wizard of the KKK -
    Nathan Bedford Forrest in the 1860's.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Off topic, but the youngest's school has decided a new uniform is necessary. Complete change of colours and of PE kit. Available from one supplier only. £150, and the perfectly serviceable old uniform is wasted.
    Is it any wonder people feel the economy isn't working for them? We can afford it, although I'd rather not, but many others won't find it easy.
    Edit.
    Being completely new of course there are no second hand or hand me downs for the less well off.

Apologies to those who have replied, but I have been away amateur sleuthing re this so will try to answer all in one post.
    Was wrong about one thing, it is available from 2 suppliers. Colour me not shocked, but the pricing is identical (!).
    The school has relented and allowed years 10 and 11 to continue with the old PE kit (but not uniform). No use to me as youngest is Year 8. The school say he'll need new PE kit as he grows. I say he has a brother who already has numerous sizes of PE kit and uniform now destined for the Charity Shop.
    Worse, they have gendered the PE kit. Previously, it was all blue with white edging (Chelsea-ish). Now it resembles a Jackson Pollock if he was only allowed 24 shades of blue, The boys is predominantly dark, the girls lighter.
    This is a clear attempt to prevent anyone buying from other sources, as well as stopping hand-me-downs between different sex siblings.
    Anyway, I thought we were supposed to be encouraging girls to partake in sport? Team GB don't have gendered kit in the athletics. Mark out girls as part of a different team?
    The school is not yet an Academy, but is "transitioning to one." (Insert your own joke).

This is blatant price gouging. Maybe an investigation of this could be a positive and popular free market policy the Govt. could adopt?

Ps, The £150 is before shirts, trousers and shoes, which remain mercifully logo free!
    The school's uniform policy appears not to follow government guidance in the matter:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/514978/School_Uniform_Guidance.pdf
    I would suggest a formal complaint to the governing body, and if you or anyone else is feeling particularly feisty, the local press, and MP.
    Normally I have a great deal of sympathy with school management and governing bodies, but this seems quite unreasonable.

(FWIW, I've never really liked the whole school uniform thing, as its worst aspects seem to be an obesession of the worst type of school leaders).
    Thanks, @Nigelb for that.
    Am a little tired to go through it in detail right now (I also need to check what level of consultation/notice was given) before I decide my next steps.
    ps, Agree with the obsession thing. So often a crackdown on uniform is the default answer to any discipline issue!
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Well, after that press conference, no more debate over what a massive racist Trump is then.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853
    619 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Nah. No way. I want to see the full quote.

Not even Trump.

No.

Nae chance.

https://twitter.com/justinhendrix/status/897555081272463362
    I am not falling for your elaborate prank.

Well done for getting such a convincing Donald Trump impersonator though. And most of the World's Media to join in on the ruse.
    You joke, at SIGGRAPH a couple of weeks ago, it was shown that this is now possible. They did obama giving speeches that he never said and it was extremely convincing.
    Speaking on Tuesday, he insisted that many of those in the crowds brandishing Nazi flags and engaging white power salutes were simply “there to protest the taking down the statue of Robert E Lee.”

Trump went on to equate Lee and fellow Confederate general Stonewall Jackson with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
    Well, Jefferson was a shit, but one thing he never has been is a totem of white supremacy.
    Whereas Lee...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

It is, of course, ridiculous to expect Trump to have any inkling of the circumstances in which the numerous statues of Lee were erected, and the message they were intended to convey, give his remarkable ignorance of US history, but he knows exactly what he is doing in pandering to fascists.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    dr_spyn said:
    Lovers of chamber music might note that an usher from The Wigmore Hall is on The Front Page of The Express.

This one is not exactly chamber music, but it has the wow factor I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tw3g88JtWA
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So this is why the front page of the FT was embargoed...

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/897568411193974786
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

It's nice how Trump can bring so many people together. In opposition to him. But we have so much more of him to come, in all probability.

Increasingly, I think the US is like Spain in 1936,
    No, I don't think so. From my reading (I wasn't around), the US in the 1960s during the civil rights struggle was far more divided, although possibly not politically.

Its unlikely that the US military will have an uprising, either.
  • Options
    @jimwaterson: So, about fixing a date for that state visit to the UK...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I would question the assumption made in earlier threads that Amber Rudd would receive a boost in her very marginal Hastings & Rye seat should she become Tory leader. Ted Heath saw his majority halved at Bexley in 1966 compared with 1964. Jeremy Thorpe very nearly lost North Devon in 1970 - having survived by circa 350 following a recount.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jimwaterson: So, about fixing a date for that state visit to the UK...

Wondet what macron is thinking?
  • Options
    CNN talking head are speechless.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    Nigelb said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Not even Trump.

No.

Nae chance.

Well done for getting such a convincing Donald Trump impersonator though. And most of the World's Media to join in on the ruse.
    You joke, at SIGGRAPH a couple of weeks ago, it was shown that this is now possible. They did obama giving speeches that he never said and it was extremely convincing.
    Speaking on Tuesday, he insisted that many of those in the crowds brandishing Nazi flags and engaging white power salutes were simply “there to protest the taking down the statue of Robert E Lee.”

Trump went on to equate Lee and fellow Confederate general Stonewall Jackson with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
    Well, Jefferson was a shit, but one thing he never has been is a totem of white supremacy.
    Whereas Lee...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

It is, of course, ridiculous to expect Trump to have any inkling of the circumstances in which the numerous statues of Lee were erected, and the message they were intended to convey, give his remarkable ignorance of US history, but he knows exactly what he is doing in pandering to fascists.
    Jefferson's actual behaviour, though, was ville.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Off topic, but the youngest's school has decided a new uniform is necessary. Complete change of colours and of PE kit. Available from one supplier only. £150, and the perfectly serviceable old uniform is wasted.
    Is it any wonder people feel the economy isn't working for them? We can afford it, although I'd rather not, but many others won't find it easy.
    Edit.
    Being completely new of course there are no second hand or hand me downs for the less well off.

Apologies to those who have replied, but I have been away amateur sleuthing re this so will try to answer all in one post.
    Was wrong about one thing, it is available from 2 suppliers. Colour me not shocked, but the pricing is identical...
    This is a clear attempt to prevent anyone buying from other sources, as well as stopping hand-me-downs between different sex siblings.
    Anyway, I thought we were supposed to be encouraging girls to partake in sport? Team GB don't have gendered kit in the athletics. Mark out girls as part of a different team?
    The school is not yet an Academy, but is "transitioning to one." (Insert your own joke).

This is blatant price gouging. Maybe an investigation of this could be a positive and popular free market policy the Govt. could adopt?

Ps, The £150 is before shirts, trousers and shoes, which remain mercifully logo free!
    The school's uniform policy appears not to follow government guidance in the matter:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/514978/School_Uniform_Guidance.pdf
    I would suggest a formal complaint to the governing body, and if you or anyone else is feeling particularly feisty, the local press, and MP.
    Normally I have a great deal of sympathy with school management and governing bodies, but this seems quite unreasonable.

(FWIW, I've never really liked the whole school uniform thing, as its worst aspects seem to be an obesession of the worst type of school leaders).
    Thanks, @Nigelb for that.
    Am a little tired to go through it in detail right now (I also need to check what level of consultation/notice was given) before I decide my next steps.
    ps, Agree with the obsession thing. So often a crackdown on uniform is the default answer to any discipline issue!
    A complaint to the OFT for restriction of competition under the Competition Act 1988 is also possible - but that would require way more energy than I would be capable of...

The formal complaint to the governing body is probably the best initial avenue if you're not satisfied how the school has handled the matter - and keep your own notes on how it is dealt with.

Anyhow, best of luck.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Not even Trump.

No.

Nae chance.

Whereas Lee...

The statue of Lee was erected in 1924, 60 years after the American Civil War ended. One wonders why at that point. To me it sounds like one of the features of the revival of white racism, and legitimisation of it that came following the release of "The Birth of a Nation" along with the second incarnation of the KKK.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

It's nice how Trump can bring so many people together. In opposition to him. But we have so much more of him to come, in all probability.

Ironically this dispute in Charlottesville was the legacy of Civil War, but too often we see the roots of the next war in the embers of the last.
    I think it's a very long way off that. The USA is huge. There's a nasty business in one town, and Trump is annoying political people as usual. But everyday life will be prevailing everywhere else.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    dr_spyn said:

Lovers of chamber music might note that an usher from The Wigmore Hall is on The Front Page of The Express.

http s://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/897563840329678850

Translated into language I understand:
    Lovers of ?what? might note that an ?what? from ?what? is on the front sheet of toilet paper.

I mean, if it was Wigmore Castle I'd know it was something to do with a GWR coppertop locomotive, but Wigmore Hall? WTF is that? ;)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

No, I don't think so. From my reading (I wasn't around), the US in the 1960s during the civil rights struggle was far more divided, although possibly not politically.

Well some are saying it's possible - but their definition of civil war is pretty broad:
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/is-america-headed-for-a-new-kind-of-civil-war
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

You could be right. The US has always been a wilder country than our own.

I just think there are a hell of a lot of people there who think that violence against political opponents is a matter for rejoicing.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Ironically this dispute in Charlottesville was the legacy of Civil War, but too often we see the roots of the next war in the embers of the last.
    I think it's a very long way off that. The USA is huge. There's a nasty business in one town, and Trump is annoying political people as usual. But everyday life will be prevailing everywhere else.
    I am not seriously predicting a second American Civil War. There is not the geographic seperation to create a similar one. It will remain a bitterly divisive culture war.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

The 60s was when there was one of the biggest spikes in Confederate monument building, outside courthouses being the most popular choice. Also after the decision in Brown vs Board of Education and the start of school desegregation there was a surge of naming schools after Confederate figures.

The other biggest spike of Confederate monument.ent buli ding was in the 1910s-20s, the peak of the lynching period.
  • Options
    I'm no fan of Donald Trump. From everything I have read, he is a pig and a racist. But if there was violence on both sides of this protest, and that seems to be the case, what is wrong with condemning both the Nazis and the left wing thugs?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    619 said:
    But he hasn't said that, he said "not all of those people were neo-Nazis, not all of those people were white supremacists”. Whether or not it is true, that is not defending Nazis, it is defending non-Nazis against the charge of being Nazis. Secondly, he says (and no one has denied) that the lefty counter-protesters were armed with clubs which if true is surely relevant? Trump is no doubt horrid, but let's not entirely discard a respect for the truth in favour of soiling ourselves with excitement in an ecstasy of pretendy outrage..
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Well some are saying it's possible - but their definition of civil war is pretty broad:
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/is-america-headed-for-a-new-kind-of-civil-war
    I'm not sure most Americans these days have the physical fitness needed to fight a civil war.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So this is why the front page of the FT was embargoed...

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/897568411193974786

They will face more red tape exporting to the EU, but less for UK activity and less dealing with the rest of the world.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited August 2017

I'm no fan of Donald Trump. From everything I have read, he is a pig and a racist. But if there was violence on both sides of this protest, and that seems to be the case, what is wrong with condemning both the Nazis and the left wing thugs?

Well in fairness, condemning both sides generically is all the rage these days. If that was even what he was trying, his tone was, as ever, all over the place.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Not even Trump.

No.

Nae chance.

Whereas Lee...

The statue of Lee was erected in 1924, 60 years after the American Civil War ended. One wonders why at that point. To me it sounds like one of the features of the revival of white racism, and legitimisation of it that came following the release of "The Birth of a Nation" along with the second incarnation of the KKK.

Precisely.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

But he hasn't said that, he said "not all of those people were neo-Nazis, not all of those people were white supremacists”. Whether or not it is true, that is not defending Nazis, it is defending non-Nazis against the charge of being Nazis.

Whether or not it is true

No

If it is not true, then he was defending Nazis

And how many non-Nazis went to a rally with people waving Swastikas and thought, "I will stand with those people even though I am not one of them" ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

But he hasn't said that, he said "not all of those people were neo-Nazis, not all of those people were white supremacists”. Whether or not it is true, that is not defending Nazis, it is defending non-Nazis against the charge of being Nazis.

No

And how many non-Nazis went to a rally with people waving Swastikas and thought, "I will stand with those people even though I am not one of them" ?
    Jeremy Corbyn has actually spoken at plenty of rallies with the flags of ISIS, Hamas and Hezbollah but the BBC don't seem to care this much about it.

As I said, I think Donald Trump is awful, but there's a very obvious double standard here.
  • Options
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn has actually spoken at plenty of rallies with the flags of ISIS, Hamas and Hezbollah but the BBC don't seem to care this much about it.

As I said, I think Donald Trump is awful, but there's a very obvious double standard here.

I am not sure where the BBC bit came from

I think most of the people appalled by Jezza's support for terrorists are equally appalled by Trump's support for Nazis
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited August 2017

I am watching cnn and I don't think they realise they are actually enablers of trumpians. There are videos of violence by the left wing supporters but it was a totally different order of magnitude to the gun totting mob of neo nazis. The problem is all the correspondents they have on are saying no no we didn't see any violence from the left, which allows the trumpians to push the cnn fake news stuff.

CNN would be far better to say there was some violence from the left wing supporters, BUT ....
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Burn him! He's a witch! Burn him!

Not a witch...

https://twitter.com/pgourevitch/status/896562948793151488
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No

The public don't care about that with Corbyn either.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    There is a statue of Lenin in Seattle - go figure.

America has gone bonkers but I find it dull. Shrieking ninnies shrieking at each other.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Scott_P said:
    If he did say 'us', which he didn't, that would be something
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I'm not sure most Americans these days have the physical fitness needed to fight a civil war.
    Bull Jog?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No

Technically correct, but if so a mistake of fact. What he is not doing is defending Nazism: the implication is the opposite - that allegations of Nazism are a smear because Nazism is undesirable. And as for your rhetorical question -I have no idea, neither do you.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like 'em' not at all like 'us'

https://twitter.com/trumptrain45pac/status/897558064504737792
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I think most of the people appalled by Jezza's support for terrorists are equally appalled by Trump's support for Nazis
    I don't like defending someone as despicable as Trump, yet I believe it is important to defend the truth. And the truth is that Trump has condemned the Nazis, both collectively and also specifically. Unless there are quotes I have missed, he has also not defended the Nazis tonight, but defended non-Nazis on the march from the Nazi tag.

The man is completely unfit to be president and there is much we can condemn him for. Yet people seem to be twisting what he said tonight.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited August 2017

Nigelb said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Not even Trump.

No.

Nae chance.

Whereas Lee...

The carvings on Stone Mountain was also inspired by the film. Even as late as 1925 the US federal government issued special fifty-cent coins with the soldiers Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on them [source: Wikipedia ]
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Disgraceful:

"Big Ben row: MPs kept in dark over plan to silence bongs for four years"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/15/big-ben-row-mps-kept-dark-plan-silence-bongs-four-years/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No

By and large, it's water off a duck's back. People who care about it are already Consrrvative voters, just as people who care about Trump are already Democrats.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,747
    Trump said that there were 'good people on both sides'.

Really?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2017

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Agree. In fact there are probably more than 10 million adults in the United States who don't even know that Trump is president. A lot of people aren't politically engaged with national events because local politics, news, events, etc. are much more important over there compared to in the UK and other European countries. At least that's the impression I get.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I don't like defending someone as despicable as Trump, yet I believe it is important to defend the truth. And the truth is that Trump has condemned the Nazis, both collectively and also specifically. Unless there are quotes I have missed, he has also not defended the Nazis tonight, but defended non-Nazis on the march from the Nazi tag.

The man is completely unfit to be president and there is much we can condemn him for. Yet people seem to be twisting what he said tonight.
    Basically you are agreeing with him that there were good guys marching on the same side with people carrying the Swastika.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    If he did say 'us', which he didn't, that would be something
    Good point. In fact, absolutely cracking point. Political extremism at both ends of the spectrum thrives on lies, and here we have Scott_P retweeting (or sorry we aren't allowed to call it that) retwatting a quite monstrous lie in big scary letters because (I am guessing here) some things are just too important to tell the truth about.
  • Options
    I just seen the video again and he doesn't say "us". Doesn't make the criticism invalid but again spreading lies like that tweet doesnt help. The way to fight a liar is to make sure you get your facts spot on all the time otherwise you allow the lies of bad al to spin their way out.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Why do people have to make up lies to try and win arguments? If Trump is so bad, the truth will find him out. He didn't say 'us' (ScottP/Oliver Cooper) he didn't ignore the disabled child (JK Rowling)... crying wolf does his detractors no favours. Why not do some homework, check your sources before posting? It really is yr 8 History stuff
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

a quite monstrous lie in big scary letters because (I am guessing here) some things are just too important to tell the truth about.

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No

By and large, it's water off a duck's back. People who care about it are already Consrrvative voters, just as people who care about Trump are already Democrats.
    I'd like to think some Republican voters are concerned about Trump.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

a quite monstrous lie in big scary letters because (I am guessing here) some things are just too important to tell the truth about.

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    But he didn't say it, doesn't that matter?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    Bugger the transcript, here it is, about 0:30 onwards

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/trump-maintains-there-was-blame-on-both-sides-at-charlottesville-rally/news-story/046309aebe906852166d4343cf3df601
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    I confess I cannot quite make out exactly what he said toward the end of that sentence, as it was before the mic got turned properly up, but if it wasn't us, I cannot figure out what else it could have been.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    That is the sort of thing trump would say after retweeting something that was rather "ill advised".
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    I confess I cannot quite make out exactly what he said toward the end of that sentence, as it was before the mic got turned properly up, but if it wasn't us, I cannot figure out what else it could have been.
    It was " 'em "
  • Options
    isam said:

But he didn't say it, doesn't that matter?

Yes, and the transcript is being disputed/updated

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/897578780394475521
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No

I'd like to think some Republican voters are concerned about Trump.
    Some are, but they're more concerned about what will happen if their opponents get in.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    It was " 'em "
    Plausible, it would need to be a very short word, I shall re-listen. Of course, I don't need any further evidence to dislike Trump so it hardly matters, although one wonders what the line is in the US.
  • Options

Trump said that there were 'good people on both sides'.

Really?

War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited August 2017
    Give a rest scott, you have made twat of yourself like the Monty hall problem. Just suck it up, everybody makes mistakes / premature retwats from time to time.
  • Options
    Another woman has come forward to say she was sexually molested in the 1970s by the film director Roman Polanski.

Third woman accuses Roman Polanski of sex attack
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40944120
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I really struggle with the idea so many people support having a monarchy, but immediately want to undermine it by skipping the heir before he's even had a chance to cock up in the role.

Additionally, the eldest son becoming king being a part of 1000 years of royal history must be somewhat of a shock to those who lost out during dynastic changes.

I suppose Will cannot pull a William II and give Normandy to the true heir while he gets the top prize.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's not a lie

It's the transcript
    Bugger the transcript, here it is, about 0:30 onwards

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/trump-maintains-there-was-blame-on-both-sides-at-charlottesville-rally/news-story/046309aebe906852166d4343cf3df601
    I think the disputed bit (immediately before the section you refer to) was edited out of that video. You would need to point to an unedited video.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I really struggle with the idea so many people support having a monarchy, but immediately want to undermine it by skipping the heir before he's even had a chance to cock up in the role.
    Monarchists and Republicans are united in thinking Charles will be a recipe for disaster for the monarchy. Think of him as the Donald Trump of the monarchy.

Bring it on.
  • Options

Another woman has come forward to say she was sexually molested in the 1970s by the film director Roman Polanski.

Third woman accuses Roman Polanski of sex attack
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40944120

What is surprising is that the number is only three. What age were they at the time ?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

kle4 said:

Monarchists and Republicans are united in thinking Charles will be a recipe for disaster for the monarchy. Think of him as the Donald Trump of the monarchy.

Bring it on.
    I think he will do ok, but the once in a generation (or in this case several generations) chance to make a change, combined with the highly likely chance many of the commonwealth realms will ditch the monarchy when he takes over, means we monarchists will have a tough time of it. He may not be up to it, precisely because the monarch is not supposed to do anything.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited August 2017
    Oh dear, poor Charles.

Meanwhile on Trump: well, that press conference was something else. PB though, I feel has gone a bit mad ever since the EU ref and hasn't recovered since then. Two years ago the political commentary from all sides was a lot better (and there were many times when I didn't agree with commentators but still). Now? Feels a bit like entering an alternative universe at times.
  • Options
    Apres Liz, la deluge. Of course he succeeds the very instant of her death which strengthens his position a lot, but there will still be a shitstorm.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,747
    OK, so we would probably lose a referendum on getting rid of them for good, but a vote on which of the parasites should take over would be entertaining. I vote Harry. Or one of Andrew & Fergie's feckless daughters.
  • Options
    I've got it when Her Majesty goes to the great palace in the sky, make Charles 'Defender of Faiths' and make William 'Fidei defensor.'
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Oh dear, poor Charles.

Meanwhile on Trump: well, that press conference was something else. PB though, I feel has gone a bit mad ever since Brexit and hasn't recovered since then. Two years ago the political commentary from all sides was a lot better (and there was many times when I didn't agree with commentators but still). Now? Feels a bit like entering an alternative universe at times.
    Brexit is a festering sore and people all over are still completely mad about it. I dip in and out as the election exhausted, but online politics is still a febrile wasteland over the issue, and most are very very happy to keep it that way.
  • Options

I've got it when Her Majesty goes to the great palace in the sky, make Charles 'Defender of Faiths' and make William 'Fidei defensor.'

Hey, if the Tetrarchy worked for the Romans (at least for a transitionary period) then a diarchy should be fine.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Incredible ! No one has mentioned Theresa May in the entire evening. She has become the forgotten woman.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612
    edited August 2017
    kle4 said:

Hey, if the Tetrarchy worked for the Romans (at least for a transitionary period) then a diarchy should be fine.
    Somebody I know hosted both the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and then a few years later Prince Charles, he said you wouldn't believe that Charles was their son.

Her Majesty and The Duke were brilliant, made everyone feel at ease, and were low maintenance.

Before Charles arrived, his staff sent memos explaining what they expected, such as one day old bread sandwiches, cut straight, not diagonally, and the brand of toilet paper Charles used.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Incredible ! No one has mentioned Theresa May in the entire evening. She has become the forgotten woman.

Who is this Theresa may? Is she somebody important?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Upthread

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/897562893440372736/photo/1
  • Options
    Why is Charles so unpopular out of interest? I feel kind of 'meh' about him becoming King.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Somebody I know hosted both the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and then a few years later Prince Charles, he said you wouldn't believe that Charles was their son.

Her Majesty and The Duke were brilliant, made everyone feel at ease, and were low maintenance.

Before Charles arrived, his staff sent memos explaining what they expected, such as one day old bread sandwiches, cut in such straight, not diagonally, and the brand of toilet paper Charles used.
    Charles is like Joffrey.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh dear, poor Charles.

Meanwhile on Trump: well, that press conference was something else. PB though, I feel has gone a bit mad ever since Brexit and hasn't recovered since then. Two years ago the political commentary from all sides was a lot better (and there was many times when I didn't agree with commentators but still). Now? Feels a bit like entering an alternative universe at times.
    Brexit is a festering sore and people all over are still completely mad about it. I dip in and out as the election exhausted, but online politics is still a febrile wasteland over the issue, and most are very very happy to keep it that way.
    Yes, increasingly I'm preferring political discussions in real life. Things seem less tense and heated when individuals talk face to face.
  • Options
    @NBCPolitics: Senior White House official tells NBC News President Trump wasn't supposed to answer any questions today but "went rogue" in front of press
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Upthread

Macron's ratings are pretty poor as of late. I wonder if the Trump visit didn't help him in the long term, despite those positive numbers for the visit that we got from polls shortly after Bastille Day?
  • Options

Why is Charles so unpopular out of interest? I feel kind of 'meh' about him becoming King.

Unlike Her Majesty people know something of his views - on the environment and the like - and they don't like it, he's boring but without the decades on the throne nation's grandmother vibe of his mother, and he cheated on Saint Diana.

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Upthread

Macron's ratings are pretty poor as of late.
    Already? That was a short honeymoon! I know no-one could live up to the expectations caused by his meteoric rise, but still.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Apres Liz, la deluge. Of course he succeeds the very instant of her death which strengthens his position a lot, but there will still be a shitstorm.
    If you decide the heir is unsuitable, the monarcy is finished. It ia a lottery (albeit a genetic one) as to who is heir, and like the regular lottery, suitability is not part of the deal.

If Charles is not king, then the Monarchy is dead as a tradition.
This discussion has been closed.