Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pressure ratchets up on beleaguered Theresa

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    RobD said:

nunu said:
    What were the odds of NOM a few weeks ago? :p
    I think polling figures are meaningless now between election campaigns. We all saw a massive Tory lead whittled away in the white heat of a GE campaign.

Fine for pundits and polling companies to hype their figures, but they are fast becoming obsolete.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Would it be technically possible for Ruth Davidson to take over from Theresa May as MP for Maidenhead while May continued as PM until a by-election takes place? I suppose you could do it during the parliamentary recess. Then May could hand over to Davidson as PM, once she has a seat in parliament.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,893
    edited June 2017
    At some point I'm going to have to start working on upcoming elections: the German federal being the obvious one. Unfotunately as the election recedes (a high point for PB I thought) and it degenerates back into the sticky slime of www.BrexiteersWanking.com and "failing and blaming", it's going to become progressively more useless for political betting.

So. Entirely unsarcastically (because I really want to know)...is there a site that discusses political betting - as opposed to politics generally, and Brexit specifically?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,723

I hope the PM's luck begins to turn next week, she must be exhausted. Critics on here may make their callous and cruel remarks but the job of PM (whoever they may be) is becoming impossible in this 24-hour feeding frenzy of low-grade journalism.

What arrant nonsense from you. She's reaping what she sowed.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/06/11/life-comes-at-you-fast-these-days-doesnt-it-mrs-may/

And

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/876009779285700608
    Fiona Hill's quite " jolie laide " IMO.
    And you call Parris a weirdo...

:smile:

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    AndyJS said:

Would it be technically possible for Ruth Davidson to take over from Theresa May as MP for Maidenhead while May continued as PM until a by-election takes place? I suppose you could do it during the parliamentary recess. Then May could hand over to Davidson as PM, once she has a seat in parliament.

Through a by-election, sure. No legal reason the PM can't be in the Lords.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

MJW

May has to go. She is not even mediocre as a Prime Minister and now is aimlessly cluttering up the scene. Davidson would be found out within days. She has had a totally compliant press in Scotland and has only flourished as a one trick pony when Sturgeon has gone off the boil. When Salmond was around even Tories were calling for her to go!

The only Tories who looks anything like Prime Ministerial material are Davies and Hammond. If you lot have any sense you will put one of them in with a platform of completing Brexit and then go to the country.

Hammond and Davis are the 2 Tory MPs will likely put to the membership in my view
    I'm starting to think about Jeremy Hunt.

Calm, controlled, on top of the numbers, has hair, business experience, tough.. stayed at the helm of the NHS for 5 years.

I think he'd contrast well with Corbyn.

Perhaps a leader for the post-Brexit period, or not, but I've backed him at 66/1.

Surely he's completely toxic and tainted by his handling of the NHS?
    And, yet, he's sorted those contracts. And he's still there. Unshaken.

But, it might be worth reshuffling him to Chancellor first, or another office of State, so he doesn't go straight from Health to the Premiership.

As Premier, he could make the NHS his asset by saying how, now he's PM, he can do something about what he saw every day as SoS, and announce a big increase in funding.
    Jeremy Hunt would be Rupert Murdoch's choice I guess.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

No legal reason why the PM has to be in either House. Douglas-Home was PM while neither a Peer or in the Commoms for a brief period.

• Options
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    viewcode said:

At some point I'm going to have to start working on upcoming elections: the German federal being the obvious one. Unfotunately as the election recedes (a high point for PB I thought) and it degenerates back into the sticky slime of www.BrexiteersWanking.com and "failing and blaming", it's going to become progressively more useless for political betting.

So. Entirely unsarcastically (because I really want to know)...is there a site that discusses political betting - as opposed to politics generally, and Brexit specifically?

That's a bit mean spirited comrade.......

This site has always been at it's best with a combination of tips, political analysis and plain political tribalism...in the spirit of cordiality
  • Options
    If anyone thinks Hammond, or worse still, Hunt, could be election winners for the Tories, they are sadly deluded.

When May goes, why not go for someone outside of the current cabinet? Kwarsi, or Jim Cleverley? Or Ruth if they can fix it. The Tories need someone who offers a bit of inspiration rather than perspiration. Hammond or Hunt = Corbyn majority.
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

No legal reason why the PM has to be in either House. Douglas-Home was PM while neither a Peer or in the Commoms for a brief period.

An excellent point.

Paging TSE. :smiley:
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Safe by-elections are always a foregone conclusion? Remember Patrick Gordon-Walker?
  • Options

The Tories need to get Jacob Rees-Mogg as leader. The Leavers utterly adore him, and there's a certain zany enthusiasm about him that might appeal. He could be the Tories' Corbyn.

If he can't be Speaker, then he'll just have to settle for PM!
  • Options
    RobD said:

The Tories need to get Jacob Rees-Mogg as leader. The Leavers utterly adore him, and there's a certain zany enthusiasm about him that might appeal. He could be the Tories' Corbyn.

If he can't be Speaker, then he'll just have to settle for PM!
    He's too left field. He has the brains for it, but come on. Let's get back to the real world.
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Safe by-elections are always a foregone conclusion? Remember Patrick Gordon-Walker?
    Which by-election was that?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jason said:

If anyone thinks Hammond, or worse still, Hunt, could be election winners for the Tories, they are sadly deluded.

When May goes, why not go for someone outside of the current cabinet? Kwarsi, or Jim Cleverley? Or Ruth if they can fix it. The Tories need someone who offers a bit of inspiration rather than perspiration. Hammond or Hunt = Corbyn majority.

James would be great. Not Kwarsi though.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    AndyJS said:

No, but it would look an awful lot like another stitch-up. And the public just slammed the Tories because (partially) the election was perceived as one of those.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyton_by-election,_1965
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nunu said:

Jason said:

An election winner is the only thing that matters at the moment. Or, everything we know is under threat if Corbyn gets his hands on power.

It must not be Hammond or Hunt. Or Gove. Those three could not win an election. Like someone said earlier, the Tories need an antidote to Corbyn. Ruth Davidson would be perfect - naturally enthusiastic, articulate, likeable, and most importantly, a proven winner. Taking the scalps of Salmond and Robertson was a remarkable achievement.

People would vote for her.

**EDIT**

Ask Labour who they would least like to go up against in an election. Pound to a penny the most common answer would be Davidson.
  • Options
    tyson said:

viewcode said:

This site has always been at it's best with a combination of tips, political analysis and plain political tribalism...in the spirit of cordiality
    Not really. The election was a high point: even though it was spectacularly partisan, various polls were dissected and movements were tracked.Plus AndyJS's spreadsheets and Alistair Meeks's post about Libs being overvalued would have earned several people pretty pennies. One person on here (not me) won four-five figures thru hedging on NOM. These are good things and PB at its best: I enjoyed it immensely

But lacking the impetus of an upcoming election, the gamblers and analysts are quiescent and the site's usefulness is falling like GBP on referendum night. Which is a pity, because the Lib leader election will be soon and the German federal is 3 months away. Is Schultz or the SPD value? Will it be Lamb for the Libs? These are useful questions that I can bet on. Brexiteers banging on about Remoaners...aren't.

I know for many people this site is a valuable social outlet for their views. But I *really* want to talk about money... :(
  • Options

What a truly depressing choice that would be! Corbyn or Mogg?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    tyson said:

viewcode said:

Merkel is 1-7 top price with Schulz at 8-1. "Fundamentals" point to a 9 pt win by Merkel apparently, though the race is in September so it is a way off yet and things can always change. Hard to see how against Merkel, but we all wrote Corbyn off at this point in the UK cycle...

No bet for me, I guess the 8-1 SPD largest party with Stan or James is worth a fiver if you like though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,205
    nunu said:

So when's that Trump state visit then........

When the British public will welcome him, so..
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

MJW

May has to go. She is not even mediocre as a Prime Minister and now is aimlessly cluttering up the scene. Davidson would be found out within days. She has had a totally compliant press in Scotland and has only flourished as a one trick pony when Sturgeon has gone off the boil. When Salmond was around even Tories were calling for her to go!

The only Tories who looks anything like Prime Ministerial material are Davies and Hammond. If you lot have any sense you will put one of them in with a platform of completing Brexit and then go to the country.

Hammond and Davis are the 2 Tory MPs will likely put to the membership in my view
    I'm starting to think about Jeremy Hunt.

Calm, controlled, on top of the numbers, has hair, business experience, tough.. stayed at the helm of the NHS for 5 years.

I think he'd contrast well with Corbyn.

Perhaps a leader for the post-Brexit period, or not, but I've backed him at 66/1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppS1d9uPGAE
    Surely he's completely toxic and tainted by his handling of the NHS?
    Depends which side of the divide you are. He clearly convinced enough people he was doing a good job to keep the job for a few years.

On the other hand, do the Tories really want to energise the left's NHS fear/passion even more?
    The people he convinced were all Tories. In fact it was just two Tories - Cameron and May.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Doesn't look particularly safe.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Leyton (?)1964. P G-W had been Labour Shadow Foreign Sec. However in the 1964 election he lost his seat and a 'patsy' was induced to go to the Lords. In the event G-W lost that seat as well. He did entually get back, but his career was ruined.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Quincel said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Doesn't look particularly safe.
    It turned out not to be, but Wilson clearly thought it was!
  • Options

Big risk. I once saw him skiing in his business suit with his nanny in attendance. Very odd fellow. Not a Prime Minister. Mind you, there have been some very odd Prime Ministers.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Leyton (?)1964. P G-W had been Labour Shadow Foreign Sec. However in the 1964 election he lost his seat and a 'patsy' was induced to go to the Lords. In the event G-W lost that seat as well. He did entually get back, but his career was ruined.
    I think the Tories would win Maidenhead in a by-election, but it isn't a forgone conclusion:

See Zac and his 23000 majority:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Park_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jason said:

nunu said:

Jason said:

An election winner is the only thing that matters at the moment. Or, everything we know is under threat if Corbyn gets his hands on power.

It must not be Hammond or Hunt. Or Gove. Those three could not win an election. Like someone said earlier, the Tories need an antidote to Corbyn. Ruth Davidson would be perfect - naturally enthusiastic, articulate, likeable, and most importantly, a proven winner. Taking the scalps of Salmond and Robertson was a remarkable achievement.

**EDIT**

Ask Labour who they would least like to go up against in an election. Pound to a penny the most common answer would be Davidson.
    This is why I've suggested Boris, he could be a populist, he has a record of good campaigns and actually has won over white working class labour voters. He won 8% of GE labour voters in London and many LEAVE voters were won over by him.

He could be the antidote to populist Corbyn.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    I think Southam and Apocalypse might be over reacting just a teensy bit.

Why is HYUFD voting in the leadership election of another party?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Big risk. I once saw him skiing in his business suit with his nanny in attendance. Very odd fellow. Not a Prime Minister. Mind you, there have been some very odd Prime Ministers.
    I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting he'll ever be a candidate to lead the Tories or be a PM.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Viewcode The Lib Dem market was a back to lay on Swinson as she moved from 3-1 to a ludicrously short 1-3. If she runs she is miles out in front, if she doesn't it becomes an interesting betting heat but we need to see who the runners are first.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264

I have a strange crush on JRM. Something about a chap always flawlessly turned out in a good suit...
  • Options

I think Southam and Apocalypse might be over reacting just a teensy bit.

Why is HYUFD voting in the leadership election of another party?

Is he :) ?
  • Options
    Rochdale

His suits are always a size and a half too big for him.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Barnesian said:

I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting he'll ever be a candidate to lead the Tories or be a PM.
    Stark_Dawning was promoting him. Hence my response. But I agree with you.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Jason said:

nunu said:

Jason said:

**EDIT**

This is why I've suggested Boris, he could be a populist, he has a record of good campaigns and actually has won over white working class labour voters. He won 8% of GE labour voters in London and many LEAVE voters were won over by him.

Not sure about BoJo anymore. I think he's damaged goods, and besides, his seat. It's no longer a safe one. A concerted 'progressive alliance' could unseat him at the next election.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315
    Apropos of nothing, am I the only one a bit surprised all the ire on this subject is directed at May and none at Khan, whose response has veered from the absolutely abject to the nakedly partisan?

To be sure it seems to extend a lot of the criticisms of May from the campaign, but is she really doing disastrously given she has done most of what she can and much of what needs to be done comes under Khan's remit?

Incidentally if it is true somebody saved a piddling £3000 by putting unapproved and inflammable cladding on the building instead of the correct stuff that person should be prosecuted for manslaughter and if found guilty given the very heaviest sentence the judge can issue.

That still won't excuse the regulatory failure (on the watch of three Governments but primarily the coalition) not to make sprinklers and building wide fire alarms mandatory after 2009. But it would be a start.
  • Options
    Here's a laugh.

The Brexit negotiations start Monday morning.

FFS.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

Here's a laugh.

FFS.

Glad someone finds it funny.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'm not sure "austerity" is to blame for Grenfell,

the housing shortage and insufficient fire regulations are more to blame I think. I found an 18th floor (Obviously delisted) flat up on Rightmove at £2115 a month, and another for ~ £1700 which is a mind boggling amount of money to rent a flat for to my midland eyes...

Fire service needs expanding into being the "named person" again I think, I'll take that point on the general austerity theme where it was 'got wrong'.

But overall not 'austerity' really.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

Thank you for the serious responses. I'm also wondering if the 1.91 on a 2017 Irish general election is value, given there's a new taoiseach in place and he might want to cut and run while he's still fresh. Damn, damn, damn...we pride ourselves on being super sophisticated but really we know bugger all about other countries.

Thinks.

OK, this will take thought and I'm murderously busy. I'l lay off PB til about July, tho I'll come back if anything betting-related surfaces. But thank you for the tips.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally if it is true somebody saved a piddling £3000 by putting unapproved and inflammable cladding on the building instead of the correct stuff that person should be prosecuted for manslaughter and if found guilty given the very heaviest sentence the judge can issue.

I am not an expert and have very little knowledge about this topic, but I'm sceptical about the idea that had they spent just a little bit more everything would have been okay.
  • Options
    Jason said:

nunu said:

Jason said:

nunu said:

Jason said:

**EDIT**

Not sure about BoJo anymore. I think he's damaged goods, and besides, his seat. It's no longer a safe one. A concerted 'progressive alliance' could unseat him at the next election.
    I gave Boris my second preference (after the LibDem) for Mayor of London. I thought he was fun, authentic, would shake things up, a change from the usual politician. I liked him.

Now I hold him in contempt. He is duplicitous, unauthentic and incompetent. Damaged goods as you say. From a partisan point of view, I hope the Tories choose him as their leader. But I don't think they will.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@Pulpstar

Thank you for the serious responses. I'm also wondering if the 1.91 on a 2017 Irish general election is value, given there's a new taoiseach in place and he might want to cut and run while he's still fresh. Damn, damn, damn...we pride ourselves on being super sophisticated but really we know bugger all about other countries.

Thinks.

OK, this will take thought and I'm murderously busy. I'l lay off PB til about July, tho I'll come back if anything betting-related surfaces. But thank you for the tips.

If he's got any sense he won't after last week!

Good luck with the work. Will have to take a break myself shortly (exam marking). Come back soon.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Here's a laugh.

FFS.

Ah come on. Theresa May. Negotiating the future prosperity of the nation.

The real Theresa May, not the strong stable caricature off the campaign bus..

It is funny...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Here's a laugh.

FFS.

What's the old saying, David? I you don't laugh, you'd cry.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Talking of longshots.

Wondering if Dave fancies another go.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I am not an expert and have very little knowledge about this topic, but I'm sceptical about the idea that had they spent just a little bit more everything would have been okay.
    No more am I an expert. That's why I added the rider. Josias Jessop would know more. I seem to remember he was saying earlier there was some doubt about what was available when. However, if such panels were available it wouldn't surprise me if the cost difference was quite small. I am often puzzled by how quite different things in terms of quality and performance are often very similar in price (it's especially true in electrical goods depending on branding of course).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,522
    Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Jason said:

nunu said:

Jason said:

nunu said:

Jason said:

**EDIT**

I gave Boris my second preference (after the LibDem) for Mayor of London. I thought he was fun, authentic, would shake things up, a change from the usual politician. I liked him.

Now I hold him in contempt. He is duplicitous, unauthentic and incompetent. Damaged goods as you say. From a partisan point of view, I hope the Tories choose him as their leader. But I don't think they will.
    For me, it has to be Ruth Davidson, by hook or by crook. Anyone who can scalp Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson in a general election is extra special in my view.

She'd dance rings around Uncle Corbyn in her sleep.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052
    ydoethur said:

Apropos of nothing, am I the only one a bit surprised all the ire on this subject is directed at May and none at Khan, whose response has veered from the absolutely abject to the nakedly partisan?

To be sure it seems to extend a lot of the criticisms of May from the campaign, but is she really doing disastrously given she has done most of what she can and much of what needs to be done comes under Khan's remit?

That still won't excuse the regulatory failure (on the watch of three Governments but primarily the coalition) not to make sprinklers and building wide fire alarms mandatory after 2009. But it would be a start.

"Incidentally if it is true somebody saved a piddling £3000 by putting unapproved and inflammable cladding on the building instead of the correct stuff"

My guess (and that is all it is) is that the decision-making that led to this tragedy will be much more complex and nuanced than that. Unfortunately, such complexities and nuances will be lost on people who have already made up their minds on the causes (not you, btw).

As we all know, May personally ordered the cladding, it was attached to the walls by Osborne and Cameron, whilst Hammond set the pyrotechnic charge that would trigger the fire.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope, he doesn't. Or nope you wouldn't?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@Pulpstar

Thinks.

I'm off to Ireland for eight weeks over the summer. I'll listen in to the local radio, talk to my Irish relations, visit a few pubs for interesting conversations (every Irish person has a political point of view unlike the English) then I'll review the betting opportunities. I've done very well on Irish politics.
  • Options

The real Theresa May, not the strong stable caricature off the campaign bus.

I thought it was highly appropriate that the strong and stable line was on the side of the bus:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/election-tory-strong-stable-van-overturns-conservatives-theresa-may-advert-a7776136.html?amp
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I wish someone would get a grip and sort this mess out. Does nobody in the Conservative Party have any balls?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

ydoethur said:

"Incidentally if it is true somebody saved a piddling £3000 by putting unapproved and inflammable cladding on the building instead of the correct stuff"

My guess (and that is all it is) is that the decision-making that led to this tragedy will be much more complex and nuanced than that. Unfortunately, such complexities and nuances will be lost on people who have already made up their minds on the causes (not you, btw).

As we all know, May personally ordered the cladding, it was attached to the walls by Osborne and Cameron, whilst Hammond set the pyrotechnic charge that would trigger the fire.
    Thanks. Had already cited you as the expert!

What are the regulations on these buildings? Is there any truth in the rumour running around that these panels should not have been used on a building over 18m high?

PS - last paragraph is missing 'and Boris made a speech to ensure al the hot air would fan the flames...'
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

He's done his duty, plus he believes once you've been rejected by the country, you shouldn't come back.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The irony is that London has never felt more affluent, confident and agreeable than on this dulcet Sunday evening.

I went for a walk through Primrose Hill and Regent's Park just now. It was a sea of happy picnickers, of all races, ages, and sizes, guzzling wine, hummus and champagne, from beginning to end.

It's Saturday.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

He's done his duty, plus he believes once you've been rejected by the country, you shouldn't come back.
    He wasn't rejected. The EU was.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

He was the front man for the rejected side.

Plus he's enjoying spending time with his family.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Churchill never seems to have got that message.

Or Corbyn for that matter!
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    PB tories really have personified the art of never land self delusion recently. The mere suggestion of Hunt as a potential PM is frankly illustrative of the microcosm of detached self belief in the unacceptable.
    This is not the only incidence of this, mutterings of BOJO or Gove, people utterly abhorrent from a working voter perspective. Do you people really intend to take on water till you sink? SCUTTLE NOW
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Fair enough I would have thought he was uniquely qualified to unfuck the Tory party and have enough experience to dive into government Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    David Cameron had already announced his retirement before the referendum. If he were still in Parliament, I expect he'd currently be being dragged to Number 10.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

One year on and with negotiations about to start no one has a clue how to approach Brexit. No one.

It's the biggest failure of the political establishment since appeasement. This will not end well.

Seems the remoaner jibes are stuck in the Brexiteers' throats these days.
    Nope you are still Remoaners. We just got tired of pointing it out to you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

No more am I an expert. That's why I added the rider. Josias Jessop would know more. I seem to remember he was saying earlier there was some doubt about what was available when. However, if such panels were available it wouldn't surprise me if the cost difference was quite small. I am often puzzled by how quite different things in terms of quality and performance are often very similar in price (it's especially true in electrical goods depending on branding of course).
    I see, that might make sense. But even so, what a dreadful decision to stick these panels to the side of buildings just to make the look a bit nicer and to keep a bit more heat in.

It also reminds me of that fire on the ski train in the Alps:

https://tinyurl.com/l3cqydq

I seem to remember that train was supposed to be made of fire resistant material. In the event the train went up a treat.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Fair enough I would have thought he was uniquely qualified to unfuck the Tory party and have enough experience to dive into government Brexit negotiations.
    I agree.

But that's the world we live in.

If it is any consolation, when I got wind that he was about to resign, I did tell someone who worked for him to tell Dave to change his mind.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

The irony is that London has never felt more affluent, confident and agreeable than on this dulcet Sunday evening.

I went for a walk through Primrose Hill and Regent's Park just now. It was a sea of happy picnickers, of all races, ages, and sizes, guzzling wine, hummus and champagne, from beginning to end.

It's Saturday.
    Indeed. Life here, on Primrose Hill Borders, is so sweet we don't even CARE what day it is.
    Yes Sean, the world is great when you are surrounded by wealthy Lefties. Don't leave - you wouldn't like the world outside.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Part of Cameron's problem - and I mean this totally seriously - is that he is a poor negotiator. You may have noticed it was William Hague who fronted for the coalition agreement, which worked. Cameron fronted the EU renegotiation, which manifestly didn't.

As a further serious question, who is there who can sort out Labour? Accepting, for the moment there's no urgency in their case as they're not in government, how do they make sure the emboldened and increasingly crazy left do not end by annihilating the party through proposing the nationalisation of housing and compulsory indoctrination in Marxism? Is there a reasonably sensible left wing candidate acceptable to the left in the medium term when Corbyn goes but who might be acceptable to the country as well?
  • Options
    Normally talk of people not in the HoC is fanciful and ludicrous. But today, given how unpredictable politics is and how messed up things are I don't rule it out.
  • Options

PB tories really have personified the art of never land self delusion recently. The mere suggestion of Hunt as a potential PM is frankly illustrative of the microcosm of detached self belief in the unacceptable.
    This is not the only incidence of this, mutterings of BOJO or Gove, people utterly abhorrent from a working voter perspective. Do you people really intend to take on water till you sink? SCUTTLE NOW

What odds would you have on Hunt ?

And Boris and Gove for that matter. Are you laying them on Betfair ?

We should know.
  • Options
    Well the front page of the Mail on Sunday is something.

Jeremy Thorpe lives!

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/876177470365601794
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I see, that might make sense. But even so, what a dreadful decision to stick these panels to the side of buildings just to make the look a bit nicer and to keep a bit more heat in.

I seem to remember that train was supposed to be made of fire resistant material. In the event the train went up a treat.
    That wasn't brilliant phrasing, although I know you didn't intend it as a pun. (And I know what you meant and I agree with your main point - as a decision it was just ridiculous.)

I didn't know about that Austrian fire. I can see the parallels though. Interesting to note the judge threw out all the charges brought. That is of course common in cases where feelings run high, and despite how angry we all are (including me) I hope the DPP will continue to judge prosecutions on the evidence.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Part of Cameron's problem - and I mean this totally seriously - is that he is a poor negotiator. You may have noticed it was William Hague who fronted for the coalition agreement, which worked. Cameron fronted the EU renegotiation, which manifestly didn't.

As a further serious question, who is there who can sort out Labour? Accepting, for the moment there's no urgency in their case as they're not in government, how do they make sure the emboldened and increasingly crazy left do not end by annihilating the party through proposing the nationalisation of housing and compulsory indoctrination in Marxism? Is there a reasonably sensible left wing candidate acceptable to the left in the medium term when Corbyn goes but who might be acceptable to the country as well?
    Labour doesn't think it needs sorting out. It has a popular leader, with popular policies. It has political momentum, is within a dozen seats of power,, a weak opponent and is more united than it has been in years.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jeremy Thorpe lives!

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/876177470365601794

"Fire Families"

Really???

Oh god. Let her leave, in peace. This is too cruel.
    Isn't 'Fire families' a shorthand by the Mail on Sunday?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,753
    edited June 2017

I have a strange crush on JRM. Something about a chap always flawlessly turned out in a good suit...
    Jacob Rees-Mogg is a superbly mellifluous speaker who always sounds as if he is taking part in Just a Minute, except in his case he never stops, but powers on, seemingly for hours with no hesitation, repetition or content of any kind.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jeremy Thorpe lives!

twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/876177470365601794

"Fire Families"

Really???

Oh god. Let her leave, in peace. This is too cruel.
    Hm, it doesn't sound like a direct quote.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Labour doesn't think it needs sorting out. It has a popular leader, with popular policies. It has political momentum, is within a dozen seats of power,, a weak opponent and is more united than it has been in years.
    Well, I agree that level of delusion would be a fairly formidable barrier to sorting it out.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052
    edited June 2017
    ydoethur said:

Thanks. Had already cited you as the expert!

What are the regulations on these buildings? Is there any truth in the rumour running around that these panels should not have been used on a building over 18m high?

PS - last paragraph is missing 'and Boris made a speech to ensure al the hot air would fan the flames...'

:)

I'm not an expert. I was around building and demolition all my choldhood (and worked a little on it as a teen and in my early twenties), and read, but did not complete, a geological engineering course (civil engineering + geology). Still very interested in it all, and my dad's been visiting so we've had long, in-depth discussions about it. His view is that the building should have been knocked down and replaced with a new one built to the latest codes, but then again demolition was a big part of his business. ;)

I've no idea on the restrictions on these sorts of panels. If they are banned for this use, they might not have been when the project was specified, or the ban did not quite cover this sort of panel. Or perhaps they were wrong specified, or the supplier supplied the wrong sort, etc, etc.

One move I'm surprised hasn't happened (at least as I've heard): I would have expected the police or a.n.other authority to visit the companies involved, from the architects down, and remove documents pertaining to the works.
  • Options
    I've had a very sedate day: coffee and cakes in Portstewart. The views are stunning, as always. So were the cakes, for that matter.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The irony is that London has never felt more affluent, confident and agreeable than on this dulcet Saturday evening.

Sounds like bliss. And probably is. For the people who can afford that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

That wasn't brilliant phrasing, although I know you didn't intend it as a pun. (And I know what you meant and I agree with your main point - as a decision it was just ridiculous.)

I didn't know about that Austrian fire. I can see the parallels though. Interesting to note the judge threw out all the charges brought. That is of course common in cases where feelings run high, and despite how angry we all are (including me) I hope the DPP will continue to judge prosecutions on the evidence.
    Apologies, I should have said something like "in the name of energy efficiency."

It's also worth noting that the Kaprun disaster court case went on for three and a half years.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,354
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:

The irony is that London has never felt more affluent, confident and agreeable than on this dulcet Saturday evening.

I stood UNDER - directly UNDER - the flypast on The Mall this afternoon :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

It's Saturday.
    Indeed. Life here, on Primrose Hill Borders, is so sweet we don't even CARE what day it is.
    Yes Sean, the world is great when you are surrounded by wealthy Lefties. Don't leave - you wouldn't like the world outside.
    I'm drunk and happy. Today I had an orgasm with my girlfriend that was so intense it made my head wobble, like a mildly doubtful Hindu shopkeeper.

True Story.

You are becoming increasingly disturbed, old son.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

It's Saturday.
    I'm drunk and happy. Today I had an orgasm with my girlfriend that was so intense it made my head wobble, like a mildly doubtful Hindu shopkeeper.

True Story.

Come again?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

It's Saturday.

True Story.

I join conversations on PB for many reasons. I learn many things about my subject, communicate with intelligent and well-informed people who extend my knowledge of other subjects, and have discussions/arguments/blowups over the great issues of the day.

But I'm not sure, however hilarious or bizarre, that I feel the need to know the details of your sex life. You've written a book on that already.

I take it though that she's probably feeing very happy at the moment with politics?
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    Pulpstar said:

What odds would you have on Hunt ?

And Boris and Gove for that matter. Are you laying them on Betfair ?

We should know.
    I'm not laying them on betfair no way, I've seen the Tories try to answer Blair in his prime with IDS and that proves anything is possible.
    A young clever centrist would do more for the Tories than Sean T's girlfriend during duwali. I sold the Tories at 99 majority before the manifestos came out and I'm sure the paradigm shift is looming
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

It's Saturday.

True Story.

Come again?
    That's going to be a hard pun to top...
  • Options
    To get the lead story that wrong is shocking for a newspaper that aspires to seriousness. That is basic stuff.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    ydoethur said:

That's going to be a hard pun to top...

The thread has climaxed?
  • Options
    Re the stalking horse story.

Hardcore Brexiteers will launch a coup against May if she goes for a soft Brexit/keeps us in the customs union/single market.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Corbyn's number one groupee has spoken.
  • Options

:)

I'm not an expert...

One move I'm surprised hasn't happened (at least as I've heard): I would have expected the police or a.n.other authority to visit the companies involved, from the architects down, and remove documents pertaining to the works.

Don't sell yourself too short!

That's a very good point. Does that suggest at this stage that the police are *not* planning on an investigation?

But surely this judge led inquiry that Theresa Miliband oops, May has promised will need them?
  • Options
    Jason said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Talking of longshots.

Nope.
    Nope he doesn't.

Corbyn's number one groupee has spoken.
    Read what I actually wrote. One key word.
This discussion has been closed.