Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay drops to new ratings low & comes under fire for not meeti

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Why are the Tories keeping May? In their shock, they've gone soppy.

She won 42%, the highest voteshare the Tories have got since 1992, it was not as if she lost even if she did worse than expected. Plus even if there was a Tory leadership election she would still stay as PM
    Doing a lot of damage by keeping her, but if you're sure.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

theakes said:

May goes down, down, down, now be lucky to get 35% of the vote at the most.

Is this actually based on anything? Or just a random comment?
    hes channelling you
    Still spouting shite i see....Evening sir...
    Im following your lead
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

She won 42%, the highest voteshare the Tories have got since 1992, it was not as if she lost even if she did worse than expected. Plus even if there was a Tory leadership election she would still stay as PM
    She can be the pinata of bad public opinion for now as she won't stand in another GE, it's what the Tories do as succession planning which will be interesting. In twenty years time I will be buying some interesting books on this period in our democracy, right now things are just fucking confusing.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,107
    HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

She can be the pinata of bad public opinion for now as she won't stand in another GE, it's what the Tories do as succession planning which will be interesting. In twenty years time I will be buying some interesting books on this period in our democracy, right now things are just fucking confusing.
    If as I think increasingly likely there will not be another general election until 2022 then there is no need for the Tories to rush into a leadership election
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Doing a lot of damage by keeping her, but if you're sure.
    She will go well before the next election but it was the British people themselves who voted her as their PM by giving her the most votes of any party and that should be respected for now
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

theakes said:

hes channelling you
    Im following your lead
    Erudite as ever I'm thrilled to see. Anything positive to say? Thought not.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

theakes said:

hes channelling you
    Im following your lead
    Dont worry, thinkings not your strong point
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207

atia2 said:

Pong said:

In addition to my suggestion of bolloxing 5% of the greenbelt, maybe it's time for the govt to borrow a trillion quid at 0% and build 5 new Milton Keyneses over the next decade.

Spur them off hs 1/2, or something, subsidize season tickets, wire in terabit internet and give tax breaks for companies relocating staff from london.

They'll be soulless at first but economically successful over time.

Just do it.

Screw the NIMBYs.

2k/month for a flat in that tower block is insane. The housing market is dysfunctional and fuelling social unrest. It's a pressure cooker. Release the valve.

The Greenfell Tower shows the problems with such talk. We want housing that is:

*) Affordable
    *) Environmentally sound
    *) Safe
    *) High quality, e.g. on finish
    *) Roomy
    *) Quick to build

Many of these requirements are mutually exclusive, especially wrt cost. Frankly, if we want to build a many houses as some people say at an affordable cost, then something has to give. It cannot be safety, so will we be building small, boxy houses that aren't environmentally sound?

And that's just the houses themselves, without considering all the other infrastructure that should go with them.
    Yet another tiresome rehearsal of the "the people want the moon on a stick" argument. They don't have trouble doing this stuff in Germany. Where is our national ambition? We're talking about houses here, not rocketships to Mars.
    I'm sorry you find it tiresome. Do you actually care to address the points, or show where I'm wrong?
    No, I don't care to address your points in detail. In essence, you are saying that the British are incapable of building housing that meets your extremely basic criteria. That cannot possibly be true because other similar countries do it as a matter of routine. We are not incapable.

We lack the will.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

theakes said:

hes channelling you
    Im following your lead
    Chuckle....on that note...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Lets just imagine this tragedy was in a care home, occupied by white middle class brits?
    1. Would the community arround them react in the same way? Probably yes
    2. Would we be making a bigger issue about buildibg regs and fire protection? Yes, from some quaters
    3. Would it produce a better response from the government? I dont know
    4. Would JC be their talking to the survivors? Yse as would TM.
    5. Would it change the political narrative in the way i think this is doing? Probanly no
    6. Would anybody sek to gain political advantage from it? Probably no.
    7. "...".......
    Im afraid that many people see it as a problem so removed from them they can ignore it or blame sub letting and questioning the right of people who have died to be here in the first plce
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

If as I think increasingly likely there will not be another general election until 2022 then there is no need for the Tories to rush into a leadership election
    May will be replaced in 2019 in an attempt to expel the poison of the Brexit deal. It's obvious and you can get 12/1 on it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    atia2 said:

atia2 said:

Pong said:

In addition to my suggestion of bolloxing 5% of the greenbelt, maybe it's time for the govt to borrow a trillion quid at 0% and build 5 new Milton Keyneses over the next decade.

Spur them off hs 1/2, or something, subsidize season tickets, wire in terabit internet and give tax breaks for companies relocating staff from london.

Just do it.

Screw the NIMBYs.

2k/month for a flat in that tower block is insane. The housing market is dysfunctional and fuelling social unrest. It's a pressure cooker. Release the valve.

The Greenfell Tower shows the problems with such talk. We want housing that is:

*) Affordable
    *) Environmentally sound
    *) Safe
    *) High quality, e.g. on finish
    *) Roomy
    *) Quick to build

Many of these requirements are mutually exclusive, especially wrt cost. Frankly, if we want to build a many houses as some people say at an affordable cost, then something has to give. It cannot be safety, so will we be building small, boxy houses that aren't environmentally sound?

And that's just the houses themselves, without considering all the other infrastructure that should go with them.
    Yet another tiresome rehearsal of the "the people want the moon on a stick" argument. They don't have trouble doing this stuff in Germany. Where is our national ambition? We're talking about houses here, not rocketships to Mars.
    I'm sorry you find it tiresome. Do you actually care to address the points, or show where I'm wrong?
    No, I don't care to address your points in detail. In essence, you are saying that the British are incapable of building housing that meets your extremely basic criteria. That cannot possibly be true because other similar countries do it as a matter of routine. We are not incapable.

We lack the will.
    That's the point: the criteria are not *basic*. I can show you *basic* homes if you want: what we build is far, far, from basic. And so it should be.

The problem is one of cost. Building houses that meet the criteria at a price people can afford is very difficult. If you think differently, you can probably make an absolute killing as a builder as the market wants affordable, quality homes.

Now, if more people wanted to live in blocks of flats, it might well be possible. But that is not what many (most?) people in this country want. Nick Palmer thinks this view should change, and he may well be correct. But changing it is really difficult, and sadly will be much harder after yesterday's tragedy.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

On McDonnell and the march (replies suggest he didn't actually say 'force'):
    https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/875328886841761792

McDonnell does not believe change will be secured through Parliament. He believes it can only happen from the streets.
    Why would they risk all they've achieved in the last couple of months?
    Like any sane person I'm horrified by the fire but encouraging some sort of insurrection is just going to confirm the worst fears of people wrt to Corbyn/McDonell. Particularly out of London.

McDonnell is really not that interested in Labour's seat count except to the extent it gives the far left control within Labour. He is the most extreme of the gang.

Ok thanks. Come back Cameron and rescue us from the lunatics and incompetents. Asap
    Cameron was one of the incompetents. His arrogance never, for one minute, let him consider he might not have the support of the public.
    You can say that till your blue in the face, and we know your views on him are jaundiced due to Europe, but at the moment he's looking like a political colossus in comparison to the morons scrapping it out.
    That is no comparison. The fact that this bunch of incompetents are slightly more useless than the last bunch of incompetents really isn't a recommendation.
    Of course it is a comparison. I'd imagine a sizable amout of the electorate would favour a return to the coalition years rather than having a Marxist scarecrow duelling with an apparently borderline autistic village fete volunteer in a race to the bottom.

It's a shame we'll never know how well a Tory government with a majority and a decent leader might have done, but hey, we've got Brexit. History will judge whether the ends justified the means. Currently it's looking like a Pyrrhic victory for the Tory Brexiteers at least.
    Well Cameron certainly wouldn't have been that leader. A man with all the political nouse of a pickled gherkin - or as my Dad used to call them - a Wally
  • Options
    atia2 said:

HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

May will be replaced in 2019 in an attempt to expel the poison of the Brexit deal. It's obvious and you can get 12/1 on it.
    2019/20 is the most likely time for a changeover, yes
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

theakes said:

hes channelling you
    Im following your lead
    Chuckle....on that note...
    chortle

bis bald
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    nichomar said:

Lets just imagine this tragedy was in a care home, occupied by white middle class brits?
    1. Would the community arround them react in the same way? Probably yes
    2. Would we be making a bigger issue about buildibg regs and fire protection? Yes, from some quaters
    3. Would it produce a better response from the government? I dont know
    4. Would JC be their talking to the survivors? Yse as would TM.
    5. Would it change the political narrative in the way i think this is doing? Probanly no
    6. Would anybody sek to gain political advantage from it? Probably no.
    7. "...".......
    Im afraid that many people see it as a problem so removed from them they can ignore it or blame sub letting and questioning the right of people who have died to be here in the first plce

I think the vast majority of people are horrified at what's happened irrespective of who the victims are.

However, as with the London Bridge attack, what this has done is revealed what London is like now. Immigration gets talked about a lot. I often find myself wondering, where are all these people going? Well, it's places like Grenfell Tower.

I live in Woking with my parents. I work in central London and earn £35k a year. There's absolutely no chance that I'd ever be considered for social housing in London. So instead I have to cough up £3k a year to commute into the city. So yes, perhaps the lives of people like those living in Grenfell Tower are very removed from anything I know because I'll never be able to live that close to where I work.

That doesn't mean I don't care about what's happened.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    "There was a lot of anger on the school run this morning," she says.
    "There's a lot of separation between classes and people are telling me that it's down to social cleansing."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40291372?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

atia2 said:

atia2 said:

Pong said:

Just do it.

Screw the NIMBYs.

The Greenfell Tower shows the problems with such talk. We want housin

We lack the will.
    That's the point: the criteria are not *basic*. I can show you *basic* homes if you want: what we build is far, far, from basic. And so it should be.

The problem is one of cost. Building houses that meet the criteria at a price people can afford is very difficult. If you think differently, you can probably make an absolute killing as a builder as the market wants affordable, quality homes.

Now, if more people wanted to live in blocks of flats, it might well be possible. But that is not what many (most?) people in this country want. Nick Palmer thinks this view should change, and he may well be correct. But changing it is really difficult, and sadly will be much harder after yesterday's tragedy.
    Prices are high only because the supply of land is artificially limited by the planning system. Building materials are actually pretty cheap.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited June 2017
    nichomar said:

I don't think anybody sees the problem as removed from them. It's blindingly obvious that something be it construction, design, planning, regulations, or the emergency response has gone badly wrong; but playing the blame game when we don't know why it happened is ridiculous.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    atia2 said:

HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

It is far from obvious that she can survive that long.

Is it not more likely that she limps on to the summer recess, resigns the party leadership at that point, giving the Tories time to hold a leadership election in time for the party conference?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    glw said:

saddo said:

Thank F Corbyn didn't win. The economy would already be in death spiral.

If the Labour Party has any sensible people left in it, and there don't seem to be many willing to show their faces right now, they will still be plotting to get rid of Corbyn. They owe it to the country as much as anything else.
    Don't you think people are sick and tired of plotting and stupid politicians who think it is in their very life blood, or should I say, in others spilt blood. For too long, far too long, our politicians have been sticking their oars into areas and policies that are detrimental to the populace of this and too many other countries. Please, kill each other if you must, but leave everyone else out of your games.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    It's difficult for politicians to respond to this sort of disaster well - anything they do or don't do is open to criticism. I don't personally think May, Corbyn or Khan have done anything very wrong here, and the thread has too many people trying to squeeze a political argument out of it.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    I've been appalled at the coverage of the tragedy. I've worked in building consultancy and the amount of airtime given to comment from people who have no technical knowledge has astounded me. We have some of the highest building standards in the world, and every council I have worked for has been insistent on the highest standards.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    nunuone said:

"There was a lot of anger on the school run this morning," she says.
    "There's a lot of separation between classes and people are telling me that it's down to social cleansing."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40291372?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

My God. Look at the number of top 10% poorest and top 10% richest population all in one council.

I knew there was a wealth divide in Kensington and Chelsea but I didn't think it was as extreme as east London.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

It's difficult for politicians to respond to this sort of disaster well - anything they do or don't do is open to criticism. I don't personally think May, Corbyn or Khan have done anything very wrong here, and the thread has too many people trying to squeeze a political argument out of it.

Well said.
  • Options
    glw said:

nichomar said:

I don't think anybody sees the problem as removed from them. It's blindingly obvious that something be it construction, design, planning, regulations, or the emergency response has gone badly wrong; but playing the blame game when we don't know why it happened is ridiculous.
    I didnt raise the issue of sub letting just trying to say that in relation to what has happend its irrelevant until proved otherwise.
  • Options

I've been appalled at the coverage of the tragedy. I've worked in building consultancy and the amount of airtime given to comment from people who have no technical knowledge has astounded me. We have some of the highest building standards in the world, and every council I have worked for has been insistent on the highest standards.

Every political pundit or journalist, and anyone they speak to, is now an expert on fire safety, building regulations, and construction. Things that they previously haven't given a moments thought about they are now so expert in that the can deduce what has happened from some pictures on the TV.

The press coverage in particular has been nothing short of disgraceful across the board, huge amounts of speculation have drowned out the few facts we know.

• Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Will Yvette Cooper and Bob Geldof open their doors to a homeless fire victim or does the offer only extend to refugees
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Looks like Cable might take over as caretaker leader. At 74 hopefully he recognises he is too old for the job permanently but presumably could be economic spokesman eventually. Interesting no-one has said much about Ed Davey. Norman Lamb on QT tonight.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    nichomar said:

glw said:

nichomar said:

I didnt raise the issue of sub letting just trying to say that in relation to what has happend its irrelevant until proved otherwise.
    It is irrelevant to the actual circumstance of the fire, but it could be the difference between 20 killed in tragic circumstances and 100.

My point earlier was not to disparage the people living in these conditions, but rather to point out that it will shine an ugly, national light on what has been an open secret in inner london, that people live in appalling, shanty town conditions, in a supposedly rich and prosperous nation.

There is a scandal in how these people died, but there is also another scandal in how they lived. We've ignored the 'ten to a room' pictures you see in the papers time and time again, how many of us will feel able to ignore pictures of charred mattresses and burnt bodies ten to a room, should they surface?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "In 2010, I spent six months working on a BBC investigation into concerns about fire safety in refurbished high rises. Our findings were conclusive. Fire chiefs and safety experts all agreed that the vogue for cladding old concrete blocks with plastic fascia, removing asbestos and replacing steel window frames with ones made of UPvC cancelled out all the fire prevention measures that had been built into the blocks."

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/06/grenfell-tower-blaze-disaster-waiting-happen/
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

nichomar said:

glw said:

nichomar said:

It is irrelevant to the actual circumstance of the fire, but it could be the difference between 20 killed in tragic circumstances and 100.

My point earlier was not to disparage the people living in these conditions, but rather to point out that it will shine an ugly, national light on what has been an open secret in inner london, that people live in appalling, shanty town conditions, in a supposedly rich and prosperous nation.

There is a scandal in how these people died, but there is also another scandal in how they lived. We've ignored the 'ten to a room' pictures you see in the papers time and time again, how many of us will feel able to ignore pictures of charred mattresses and burnt bodies ten to a room, should they surface?
    Totally agree
  • Options

I agree.
  • Options

Thank you Nick! We do not always agree, but you are spot on here!!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I didn't mean to sound like I was criticising you. I'm annoyed by the wide-spread blame game and speculation occurring when so few facts are known. A few hours ago the building still had pockets of fire, so it's way too early for anyone to say what happened or why.
  • Options

Have you worked for K&C?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

theakes said:

what was the smallest % vote share that Blair won a majority with....
    35.2% at GE2005

Thank you OGH - there you go, on that basis let's have the election. Tory Maj nailed on.

• Options

Yes, I agree. But ultimately if you offer people London rents to live in flats with decent construction, maintenance and fire protection at say £7-800/month, even if it means they don't get a house and garden and the skyline is ruined, they'll grab them. The problem is not really that people refuse to live in flats, it's that affordable flats are not being built in sufficient numbers.

I grew up in a flat on the 8th floor of this tower block in a pleasant residential area near the station of a Copenhagen suburb. Two lifts that almost never broke down, a full-time porter, two balconies with a pleasant breeze and sun all day on one side or the other, playground underneath, shops galore nearby as well as green spaces. Flats there currently start at around £120,000, or £500/month.

https://monera.dk/adresser/kgs-lyngby/lehwaldsvej/lehwaldsvej-3-5-e

Build some like that and attitudes will change.
  • Options
    glw said:

nichomar said:

I didn't mean to sound like I was criticising you. I'm annoyed by the wide-spread blame game and speculation occurring when so few facts are known. A few hours ago the building still had pockets of fire, so it's way too early for anyone to say what happened or why.
    I just wish our government was in the forfront of solving the immediate issues and the longer term issues that it raises. If they are then they need to show us that they are. Having watched sky news for an hour they seem to have gone awol.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:
    This is absolutely unreal, so apologies for the long quote, it's worth it imo:

"By the turn of the millennium, the post-war tower blocks that are scattered through Britain’s cities had become rundown and ugly. So in 2000, Tony Blair’s government launched the Decent Homes Programme, a huge scheme to update the social housing stock, making it more environmentally friendly, comfortable and pleasing to the eye. For high-rises there were two options – either refurbish them, or pull them down and build new low-rise housing in their place. The slightly cheaper option was to do them up.

Billions of pounds of public funds were handed out to contractors to carry out the upgrades – £820 million in London alone. In almost all cases, the drab concrete was wrapped in brightly coloured plastic. It may look far nicer, but the material used in most cases is also highly flammable, while the tiny space between the façade and the concrete acts as a chimney in the event of a fire, sucking the flames up the building in seconds."

So just to make the skyline look a bit nicer, they clothed the blocks in flammable material? Surely this can't be real?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

"By the turn of the millennium, the post-war tower blocks that are scattered through Britain’s cities had become rundown and ugly. So in 2000, Tony Blair’s government launched the Decent Homes Programme, a huge scheme to update the social housing stock, making it more environmentally friendly, comfortable and pleasing to the eye. For high-rises there were two options – either refurbish them, or pull them down and build new low-rise housing in their place. The slightly cheaper option was to do them up.

Billions of pounds of public funds were handed out to contractors to carry out the upgrades – £820 million in London alone. In almost all cases, the drab concrete was wrapped in brightly coloured plastic. It may look far nicer, but the material used in most cases is also highly flammable, while the tiny space between the façade and the concrete acts as a chimney in the event of a fire, sucking the flames up the building in seconds."

So just to make the skyline look a bit nicer, they clothed the blocks in flammable material? Surely this can't be real?
    I can't believe it either, if it's true.
  • Options

Yes, I agree. But ultimately if you offer people London rents to live in flats with decent construction, maintenance and fire protection at say £7-800/month, even if it means they don't get a house and garden and the skyline is ruined, they'll grab them. The problem is not really that people refuse to live in flats, it's that affordable flats are not being built in sufficient numbers.

I grew up in a flat on the 8th floor of this tower block in a pleasant residential area near the station of a Copenhagen suburb. Two lifts that almost never broke down, a full-time porter, two balconies with a pleasant breeze and sun all day on one side or the other, playground underneath, shops galore nearby as well as green spaces. Flats there currently start at around £120,000, or £500/month.

+1

We have a ridiculous situaton in London at the moment where new builds are largely 'luxury' for investment rather than for ordinary people. The ordinary folk get shunted into substandard tower blocks or terraced houses subdivided and subdivided and subdivided again.

Your post is a very good reminder - it's not just about building more, it's about building the right kind of flats to meet the needs of the people who live and work here.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    edited June 2017
    Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

That's absolutely damning. The government will need to spend the money and remove these fascias before something like this happens again. This is a moment of spending and doing whatever it takes and not sitting around waiting for a review to finish, we know the issue and it needs to be fixed ASAP.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

That's absolutely damning. The government will need to spend the money and remove these fascias before something like this happens again. This is a moment of spending and doing whatever it takes and not sitting around waiting for a review to finish, we know the issue and it needs to be fixed ASAP.
    can we send the bill to Blair ?
  • Options
    PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

While we are all sat here chatting to each other and putting the world to rights.

How many of you have checked your smoke detectors in the last few weeks? Might be worth checking them right now (we will wait for you) and putting new batteries in (if they have batteries).

Let some tiny bit of good come from a terrible tragedy.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    kyf_100 said:

+1

We have a ridiculous situaton in London at the moment where new builds are largely 'luxury' for investment rather than for ordinary people. The ordinary folk get shunted into substandard tower blocks or terraced houses subdivided and subdivided and subdivided again.

Your post is a very good reminder - it's not just about building more, it's about building the right kind of flats to meet the needs of the people who live and work here.
    1.4 million empty homes !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/number-empty-homes-hits-highest-rate-20-years-calling-question/
  • Options

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

While we are all sat here chatting to each other and putting the world to rights.

How many of you have checked your smoke detectors in the last few weeks? Might be worth checking them right now (we will wait for you) and putting new batteries in (if they have batteries).

Carbon monoxide detectors as well. I have a friend who lived in a rented flat who was saved by one last year.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

Carbon monoxide detectors as well. I have a friend who lived in a rented flat who was saved by one last year.
    +1
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

MaxPB said:

Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

can we send the bill to Blair ?
    The Old Bill?
  • Options
    How long before buildings with similar cladding become uninsurable?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

How many of you have checked your smoke detectors in the last few weeks?

Accidentally tested mine at lunchtime :smile:
  • Options

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

I got paranoid a few months ago and found that our secondary smoke detector had flat out broken down and because of its age (it came with the house, the main one is newer) not let out any noise or a warning. I quickly replaced it and check them both and the carbon monoxide detector regularly.
  • Options

Won't it have already happened?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    atia2 said:

HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

We have a situation at the moment where the DUP are wary of doing a deal with the govt because associating with May is bad for their image. They're not so naive as to believe that they can't lose support to the UUP or the Alliance (or seats to Sinn Fein if DUP voters abstain) if the deal is embarrassing to them. They'd much rather she was replaced, but of course they want new elections even less. They must hope that May will start to rebuild her image. If May is still rated at -30 after the summer, the pressure on her to quit will be hard to resist.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

My wife checks ours every time she cooks dinner.
  • Options
    calum said:

kyf_100 said:

+1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/number-empty-homes-hits-highest-rate-20-years-calling-question/
    I believe that property rights are inalienable, but you can easily see how this disaster becomes a scandal whose narrative is 'people lived and died ten to a bedroom in Grenfell Tower while 500 yards away, homes belonging to the mega rich lay empty, as investment vehicles for foreign buyers..."

In those circumstances, I can see a lot of people supporting a government that promises expropriation... trouble ahead.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:

Theresa "the Titanic" May.

Maiden voyage. Electorally unsinkable. Meets iceberg.

or Theresa "Vasa Ship" May !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    MaxPB said:

Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

I have no idea why the building caught fire, but I am fairly sure that some thought would have been put in to fire prevention measures before they undertook this refurbishment. This dismissal of construction techniques is based on no expert opinion whatsoever, it is based on anecdotes from journalists.
  • Options

Won't it have already happened?
    Quite possibly
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2017

If it's any help, there are modern ones designed for the kitchen that detect heat, not smoke.

For others mentioning the standard alarm battery annoyances: you can get ones with lithium batteries that last 7-10 years.

(yep, I've been researching this today, like a lot of others probably .... and my alarm was out of date)
  • Options

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

splutter

hadnt realised you were back

good to see you
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

calum said:

kyf_100 said:

+1

I believe that property rights are inalienable, but you can easily see how this disaster becomes a scandal whose narrative is 'people lived and died ten to a bedroom in Grenfell Tower while 500 yards away, homes belonging to the mega rich lay empty, as investment vehicles for foreign buyers..."

In those circumstances, I can see a lot of people supporting a government that promises expropriation... trouble ahead.
    I think it'll be called something different (for more than one reason) but it'll come down to a close approximation.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    kyf_100 said:

Governments have used compulsory purchase for all sorts of reasons - for roads, for military training areas, for reservoirs, for HS2 (soon?). And the owners of the properties compulsorily purchased have always been paid for their property.

Expropriation would be something else entirely. It would be seizing the property with no payment made to the owners. Far be it from me to dissuade posters to this site of engaging in hyperbole, but perhaps you could give some indication for the benefit of others?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

Buy Nest Protect alarms. They talk to you. Way safer in an emergency than a non-directional shouty beep.

(This is not a sponsored post).
  • Options
    Doesn't the civil contingency act have lots of 'really useful' law for such a thing?
  • Options
    BTW, the YouGov poll from June 11-12 bears out Survation, in that it shows Labour ahead by 6 (48-42, based on the weighted numbers for the 3 parties), with much the same for the unweighted sample. Roughly a 4-point swing since the election.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ovy5dhg86p/InternalResults_170612_Favourability_W.pdf
  • Options

That might have been the case in the 1960s or 1970s in Copenhagen, but a massive issue was the fact that many tower blocks in the UK during that period became synonymous with crime and poor living standards. Yet just a few years earlier people had been glad to move into them. If we move back to highrise living, we need to ensure the same does not happen again.

People remember this. Certainly, the few months I spent living in Skenfrith House off the Old Kent Road in the early 1990s were interesting. The flat was beautifully looked after; the communal areas - the lifts and lobbies - less so. As an example, the lift would have a rather unpleasant aroma each morning.

I also spent a year in a student tower bock in South Woodford. That was more pleasant, aside from the usual letting off of fire extinguishers, midnight fire alarms to see who was sleeping with whom, and of course the Phantom Shi**er of Old London Town ...
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Governments have used compulsory purchase for all sorts of reasons - for roads, for military training areas, for reservoirs, for HS2 (soon?). And the owners of the properties compulsorily purchased have always been paid for their property.

Expropriation would be something else entirely. It would be seizing the property with no payment made to the owners. Far be it from me to dissuade posters to this site of engaging in hyperbole, but perhaps you could give some indication for the benefit of others?
    The Robin Hood Tax !
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    nielh said:

MaxPB said:

Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

I have no idea why the building caught fire, but I am fairly sure that some thought would have been put in to fire prevention measures before they undertook this refurbishment. This dismissal of construction techniques is based on no expert opinion whatsoever, it is based on anecdotes from journalists.
    I think that's going a bit too far. Several experts have been interviewed by newspaper and TV journalists and several of them have opined about the possible chimney effect of the cladding. And it's a fact that the material between the metal sheets in the Grenfell cladding was not non-flammable, it was the cheaper flame-resistant option.

They'll order the removal of the identical fascias immediately, I'm sure; there are another five buildings I think that were done under the same contract. As to the rest, they'll judge them on a case-by-case basis. As far as I'm aware it is possible to apply fascias without creating this chimney effect.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

I didn't say I was in favour of it.

I merely stated that on a day where the shadow chancellor has called for a million to march against a democratic result last week, and the leader of the opposition has called for homes in Kensington to be "requisitioned" albeit temporarily due to the tragedy, a lot of people would be in favour of it.

We are living in febrile times, even revolutionary times.

The fear of the last couple of years has been right wing populsim leading to fascism. It feels to me now that the shoe is on the other foot. Plenty of people on the left who prefer direct action to democracy, and they are feeling very emboldened right now.
  • Options

BTW, the YouGov poll from June 11-12 bears out Survation, in that it shows Labour ahead by 6 (48-42, based on the weighted numbers for the 3 parties), with much the same for the unweighted sample. Roughly a 4-point swing since the election.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ovy5dhg86p/InternalResults_170612_Favourability_W.pdf

48-42? The other parties all dead in the water?
  • Options
    Andrew said:

If it's any help, there are modern ones designed for the kitchen that detect heat, not smoke.

For others mentioning the standard alarm battery annoyances: you can get ones with lithium batteries that last 7-10 years.

(yep, I've been researching this today, like a lot of others probably .... and my alarm was out of date)
    Building regulations mean that modern houses (?post 1995?) should have mains powered smoke alarms, with at least one on each floor, and with the alarms interlinked, so that when the alarm triggers on one floor it sounds on all the others. The batteries are a backup, but obviously should still be checked regularly as mains power might be one of the first things to go.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

That might have been the case in the 1960s or 1970s in Copenhagen, but a massive issue was the fact that many tower blocks in the UK during that period became synonymous with crime and poor living standards. Yet just a few years earlier people had been glad to move into them. If we move back to highrise living, we need to ensure the same does not happen again.

People remember this. Certainly, the few months I spent living in Skenfrith House off the Old Kent Road in the early 1990s were interesting. The flat was beautifully looked after; the communal areas - the lifts and lobbies - less so. As an example, the lift would have a rather unpleasant aroma each morning.

I also spent a year in a student tower bock in South Woodford. That was more pleasant, aside from the usual letting off of fire extinguishers, midnight fire alarms to see who was sleeping with whom, and of course the Phantom Shi**er of Old London Town ...
    I think they'd be a very hard sell now. The Planners Dream Goes Wrong by The Jam (1981) summed up high rise life

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jam:The_Planner's_Dream_Goes_Wrong
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    nielh said:

MaxPB said:

Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

The biggest problem is the apparent lack of compartmentalisation. It's 'only' 8 years since six people died in a block in Southwark which had this issue.

The cladding is a further issue. It was fitted to insulate the walls of these blocks. Fireproof insulation is easily specified but it costs several £ more per square metre. It's been known for at least 8 years that combustible insulation with 'firebreaks' is ineffective because the flames tend to bypass the firebreaks.

Niklaus Pevsner:
    'The English will spare no expense to get something on the cheap'.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST

Buy Nest Protect alarms. They talk to you. Way safer in an emergency than a non-directional shouty beep.

(This is not a sponsored post).
    I'd be really, really wary about Internet-connected smoke and fire alarms. Sometimes simplest is best.
  • Options
    You don't have to spend pounds on a Gucci smoke detector, just get a good quality one from a diy or supermarket and test it once a week. Over the years I've fitted hundreds, and I've never been to a fatal or serious injury causing fire that had working detectors fitted, unless drink or drugs were involved. If you know any elderly or vulnerable people who may not have detectors fitted, do the decent thing and help them out, or contact your local fire station and they'll fit them for free.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    kyf_100 said:

calum said:

kyf_100 said:

+1

I believe that property rights are inalienable,
    No need for expropriation. Just tax at 99%.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

You don't have to spend pounds on a Gucci smoke detector, just get a good quality one from a diy or supermarket and test it once a week. Over the years I've fitted hundreds, and I've never been to a fatal or serious injury causing fire that had working detectors fitted, unless drink or drugs were involved. If you know any elderly or vulnerable people who may not have detectors fitted, do the decent thing and help them out, or contact your local fire station and they'll fit them for free.

I see that I must become a lot more fire conscious. I ended up smashing my smoke alarm, because it went off whenever I was cooking.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

kyf_100 said:

calum said:

kyf_100 said:

+1

I believe that property rights are inalienable,
    No need for expropriation. Just tax at 99%.

Just alt-tabbed into Facebook. The first post I saw...

https://www.facebook.com/ngoyal/posts/10209716203558663?pnref=story
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

I didn't say I was in favour of it.

I merely stated that on a day where the shadow chancellor has called for a million to march against a democratic result last week, and the leader of the opposition has called for homes in Kensington to be "requisitioned" albeit temporarily due to the tragedy, a lot of people would be in favour of it.

We are living in febrile times, even revolutionary times.

The fear of the last couple of years has been right wing populsim leading to fascism. It feels to me now that the shoe is on the other foot. Plenty of people on the left who prefer direct action to democracy, and they are feeling very emboldened right now.
    I think it's a boot rather than a shoe
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I see that I must become a lot more fire conscious. I ended up smashing my smoke alarm, because it went off whenever I was cooking.
    Maybe you need cooking lessons?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

The figures are nearer Lab 45 Con 40 LD 8 before elimination of dont know/wont vote 36/32/7
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Can we have a eurosceptic David Cameron back?

Please?

*quiet, timid voice*

Please??

Wouldn't it be amazing if the Lib Dems, shorn of Farron, agreed to a coalition government with a negotiated EEA/EFTA solution as the objective, put to a referendum in 2019?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

The figures are nearer Lab 45 Con 40 LD 8 before elimination of dont know/wont vote 36/32/7
    A Corbyn led Labour party polling 45%. Unreal.

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

Please?

*quiet, timid voice*

Please??

Wouldn't it be amazing if the Lib Dems, shorn of Farron, agreed to a coalition government with a negotiated EEA/EFTA solution as the objective, put to a referendum in 2019?
    Isn't this now a possibility now Fishfinger's gone and some grown ups are now running the Dims? Cable, Swinson, Lamb, Davey - all of these guys could work with the Tories.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    SeanT said:

Please?

*quiet, timid voice*

Please??

Not happening.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    SeanT said:

Please?

*quiet, timid voice*

Please??

I was by the end a definite leaver, quite sure of my conclusion, but there have been a lot of times recently when I have wondered if it was worth the cost.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Nick Timothy has shaved his beard off and is now wearing a wild racoon on his head.

https://twitter.com/linkcalhoun/status/875070635935969281

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    God I'm on the Westway now. First of all Grenfell Tower stands out eerily dark on its own. Second of all there are dozens of similar blocks of flats all around.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Please?

*quiet, timid voice*

Please??

I was by the end a definite leaver, quite sure of my conclusion, but there have been a lot of times recently when I have wondered if it was worth the cost.
    If only someone had warned you about this before the vote....
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Lots of volatility in public sentiment between two poles for economic policy and two poles for Brexit that don't align. Lots at stake. Lots of mistakes to be made. To me it looks likely that Corbyn and Mcdonell will overplay their hand. It may not be permanent revolution but permanent campaigning and agitation will have diminishing returns and could quickly go negative. The Lib Dems should really start attacking Labour rather than following the Progressive Alliance myth.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jason said:

A Corbyn led Labour party polling 45%. Unreal.

Scary, more like.

I reckon Corbyn would be a fairly ineffectual and quite likeable prime minister, and wouldn't be too damaging, IF - and it's a huge IF - he was surrounded by lots of nice sensible centrist Labour people.

But he isn't. He is surrounded by people like Milne, and McDonnell - active Stalinists and Trots, lovers-of-Hamas and snoggers-of-the-IRA, proper Marxists and commies, with a dash of Islamism.

It is incredible that the Labour party has been taken over by these fuckers, and incredible that they are so close to power. Well done Theresa, you stupid cow.
    Chucking money at the old and young was going to gain votes, it's unsustainable once in power of course but they would worry about that when they came to it.
  • Options
    This time last week Mrs May was expecting to get a majority of 60 to 90 seats
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Jason said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

Please?

*quiet, timid voice*

Please??

Isn't this now a possibility now Fishfinger's gone and some grown ups are now running the Dims? Cable, Swinson, Lamb, Davey - all of these guys could work with the Tories.
    No we cant , only nutters like the DUP can consider working with the Conservatives
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    Jason said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

Please?

*quiet, timid voice*

Please??

NOT FOR A LONG, LONG TOME.

Stops shouting at iPad
  • Options
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,122
    TOPPING said:

God I'm on the Westway now. First of all Grenfell Tower stands out eerily dark on its own. Second of all there are dozens of similar blocks of flats all around.

This is one thing which doesn't make sense to me.

We're told that cladding was installed so the millionaires in the posh houses would have their view enhanced.

But they haven't installed cladding on every tower block in the area surely ?
This discussion has been closed.