Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay drops to new ratings low & comes under fire for not meeti

SystemSystem Posts: 12,032
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay drops to new ratings low & comes under fire for not meeting with Grenfell Tower survivors

TMay's net favourability ratings with YouGov slump to record low. Now down to a net minus 34% while Corbyn soars pic.twitter.com/9kccrrQpcC

Read the full story here

Comments

• MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098
    First?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367
    She's awful. Clearly the latest software patch hasn't worked and we've got an even worse Maybot.

Bring back the posh boys.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    SOMEBODY STOLE MY FIRST.

I am outraged.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Mortimer said:

First?

Like Theresa May? Didn't do her much good.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Sadiq Khan getting serious hassle. Reports of bottle thrown, very angry scenes, police reinforcements. From Sky.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    Week, long time and all that.
  • PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I would set up Boris as the 'other' London Mayor - let him have all the practical ideas to solve this crisis with government support. And the government can set a building products test center.
    Who advised May to go, and not meet any of the singed proletariat?

I can only assume they were trying to sabotage her and the Maybot's malware detection didn't catch it.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,910
    FPT
    MikeL said:

What's going on on here?

Odds on another GE this year are unchanged since last night at about 3-1.

Why the hysteria?

Because May has blown her majority in a pointless election, destroyed her personal ratings in the process (see today's YouGove data) her deal with the DUP look dead in the water and she's even managed to **** up her response to a national disaster.

Otherwise everything is fine. We're all fine now. How are you?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Woolie, that sort of abuse aimed at Khan is not on. People can't complain that one politician didn't visit and then throw bottles when another does.

Mr. Cocque, worry not, comrade! Under Chairman Corbyn's benevolent leadership the state will confiscate the bourgeois elitist 'first' and redistribute it to the proletariat in accordance with the edicts of the Commissary for Firsts.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I hope it was not the Hotpoint tumble dryer that started the fire.The company did not withdraw them even though there was a fault causing many fires around the country .The company sent an engineer to mend the fault .However it took months years to get to all the machines.The company said to unplug them obviously not an ideal situation for a hard pressed families.I believe the fire service were not happy with the situation.My daughter with a disabled child had such a tumble dryer , I removed it and put it in our garage until it could be repaired.I then bought her a new Bosh one.I believe this example shows that the authorities will take risks over life's rather than confront business responsibility
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    For a politician she doesn't do politics well. I was talking to one of JC's constituents recently. This was after he was elected Labour leader but before the election was called. She never thought he would ever be PM but she thought he was a very good and compassionate local MP.
    Very angry scenes near Grenfell Tower, public anger boiling over. Police on scene.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038

Sadiq Khan getting serious hassle. Reports of bottle thrown, very angry scenes, police reinforcements. From Sky.

I really don't understand how anyone could hold Khan responsible for what has happened.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,910
    edited June 2017

Very angry scenes near Grenfell Tower, public anger boiling over. Police on scene.

Could this be the start of riots and street disturbances?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    An alternative view

https://twitter.com/oliduggan/status/875372732363485184

Tezza getting lamped, or protesters being subdued by Special Branch would not have been "good optics" either
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Tyndall, indeed. Anger aimed at Khan or May seems utterly baffling to me.

I really don't understand how anyone could hold Khan responsible for what has happened.
    It appears to be general anger. That they feel they are an underclass in that area. It's not Khan but the establishment they appear to be furious with.
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Maybe they know something we don't.
  • DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Heat wave in London for the next 4-5 days, could get lively.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,184
    edited June 2017
    May clearly struggles with empathy issues.

And she's not skilled enough as a politician to be able to fake it.
    GIN1138 said:

Could this be the start of riots and street disturbances?
    I did say yesterday this is very possible. The mood is bleak and enraged and government is in paralysis. It could turn nasty, quickly.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Reminiscent of Bush and Hurricane Katrina. Grow a personality, Theresa.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,581
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

FPT

MikeL said:

What's going on on here?

Odds on another GE this year are unchanged since last night at about 3-1.

Why the hysteria?

Because May has blown her majority in a pointless election, destroyed her personal ratings in the process (see today's YouGove data) her deal with the DUP look dead in the water and she's even managed to **** up her response to a national disaster.

Otherwise everything is fine. We're all fine now. How are you?
    I'm aware of all that, thanks.

I'm just puzzled as to why if everyone is certain that there is going to be another immediate GE, why haven't the odds changed?
    @SkyNewsBreak: A man has been taken away by police following a disturbance near Grenfell Tower during a visit by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan

Great Optics...
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

May's fault clearly.
    The difference between Khan and Corbyn does show it's not party political.

Khan is in power, Corbyn is not
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    DanSmith said:

Heat wave in London for the next 4-5 days, could get lively.
    Let's hope not.

It appears to be general anger. That they feel they are an underclass in that area. It's not Khan but the establishment they appear to be furious with.
    I do wonder in that case if May was explicitly warned that she should not visit the survivors because of the potential for violence. I am still amazed that they should be venting at a Labour politician who was not in power when the renovations were done and who sure as hell cannot be expected to be aware of the issues.
    Who knew that Tories letting the poor burn would have "bad optics"?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: A man has been taken away by police following a disturbance near Grenfell Tower during a visit by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan

Great Optics...

Those complaining at her not visiting earlier look a bit silly now. This will do her damage but getting hassled and driven away would only make it worse. The only cool heads at the scene of the disaster will be the police and fire services, not the press or the victims families.
  • RobCRobC Posts: 398
    DUP backs Theresa May's vision of Brexit, not Philip Hammond's - ITV News

Perhaps this is why Phil's not keen in playing ball with DUP
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367
    A Tory MP speaks (granted he's not an impartial one)

https://twitter.com/timloughton/status/875369294904909824
  • nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

She's awful. Clearly the latest software patch hasn't worked and we've got an even worse Maybot.

Bring back the posh boys.

Bring back the Con/LD coalition.

I've said it a couple of times over the last few days, but I would have voted for the Con/LD coalition in 2015 and 2017.

Wonder where we would be now if it was an option in 2015
    RobC said:

That story is disputed by others. It explicitly includes a hard border, which the DUP do not support
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Do you have inside knowledge of the responsibility for what happened then? Do we not need a public inquiry?

I do wonder in that case if May was explicitly warned that she should not visit the survivors because of the potential for violence. I am still amazed that they should be venting at a Labour politician who was not in power when the renovations were done and who sure as hell cannot be expected to be aware of the issues.
    Anger is seldom logical when it boils over.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    "Regulation has been denounced as “red tape” and the Conservatives have consistently voted against legislation to regulate landlords’ obligations better. Building regulations for fire prevention and safety have not been reviewed for more than a decade, even though most regulations are re-examined every couple of years to keep pace with changing technology and materials.

The right has gleefully pointed to Brexit as an opportunity for a “bonfire” of red tape. Sparks from a bonfire, however, can sometimes catch. "

https://www.ft.com/content/80c884d4-51af-11e7-a1f2-db19572361bb

Semi-paywalled, frustratingly.
    @PolhomeEditor: Gerry Adams says he has told Theresa May that she was "in breach of the Good Friday Agreement" by seeking a deal with the DUP.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    RobC said:

The first bit of good news since last Thursday
    Police are concerned for the wellbeing of a confused and distressed old lady seen wandering near the Grenfell site earlier today. Answers to the name of Theresa.

Who knew that Tories letting the poor burn would have "bad optics"?

The people on the ground seem to be venting their anger on Khan. I wonder why.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,293
    If there was another snap election in the next month or so, who would lead the Lib Dems into it? Is Farron still technically leader, or is there an interim acting leader before a leadership election?
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    People need to calm the fuck down and let the investigation/inquiry process play out. Politicizing this issue really is the worst thing you can do right now with a lack of calm heads.

They are an underclass in that area.

Inequality, the lack of hope, having your inferiority constantly rubbed in your face isn't good.
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Gerry Adams says he has told Theresa May that she was "in breach of the Good Friday Agreement" by seeking a deal with the DUP.

Oh dear...
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Doesn't help to have the leader of the opposition whipping up fear and anger.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

May clearly struggles with empathy issues.

And she's not skilled enough as a politician to be able to fake it.

Spot on.

If there was another snap election in the next month or so, who would lead the Lib Dems into it? Is Farron still technically leader, or is there an interim acting leader before a leadership election?

iirc Vince is going to be interim.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

Inequality, the lack of hope, having your inferiority constantly rubbed in your face isn't good.
    Apparently the rent was 2 grand a month for one of those flats if you're private. Beggars belief.
    Pong said:

"Regulation has been denounced as “red tape” and the Conservatives have consistently voted against legislation to regulate landlords’ obligations better. Building regulations for fire prevention and safety have not been reviewed for more than a decade, even though most regulations are re-examined every couple of years to keep pace with changing technology and materials.

The right has gleefully pointed to Brexit as an opportunity for a “bonfire” of red tape. Sparks from a bonfire, however, can sometimes catch. "

https://www.ft.com/content/80c884d4-51af-11e7-a1f2-db19572361bb

Increased regulation means increased costs which, in this case, means increased rents.

There's a trade off for everything.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    To be fair, she cannot fake empathy. Then she should not be a politician. We don't elect Managers to run our country.
  • atia2atia2 Posts: 207

Unsurprising. There could be 200-300 freshly cremated bodies in that building. It is an outrage that this could happen in any country, let alone a first world country.

This astonished me earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40285790/housing-committee-chair-fire-testing-less-rigorous

The promised benefits of deregulation.
    Pulpstar said:

Apparently the rent was 2 grand a month for one of those flats if you're private. Beggars belief.
    Which is why the death toll will rise and rise - sub lets , room sharing etc.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    calum said:
    My sense is that the Brexit negotiations over Northern Ireland will effectively mark the end of the Good Friday Agreement and a new settlement will need to be negotiated this year. The stakes are high.
    No clue exactly how it played out but If I was May or her adviser I would have met with the families or some of them privately and not in view of cameras or media. Tensions running high and people looking for someone to blame, better off camera.
    surbiton said:

To be fair, she cannot fake empathy. Then she should not be a politician. We don't elect Managers to run our country.
    Appears she doesn't like meeting people, public speaking or interviews. Makes you wonder why she became a politician in the first place. I guess some kind of sense of public duty.
    MAYBOT REBOOTING
    INSTALLING STRONG AND STABLE
    INSTALL FAILED
    INSTALLING BASIC HUMAN EMPATHY
    CRITICAL ERROR
    Pulpstar said:

My eldest granddaughter and three of he friends shared a 3-bed flat on an estate in Hackney, rent there was £2,000 a month as well, and that was three years ago
    "Boris Johnson throws support behind tunnel to replace Hammersmith flyover" - start good news in London by funding it now - restart some of his schemes. It isn't too expensive to complete the garden bridge as well.
    jonny83 said:

No clue exactly how it played out but If I was May or her adviser I would have met with the families or some of them privately and not in view of cameras or media. Tensions running high and people looking for someone to blame, better off camera.

Best place would have been with the injured at the hospital.
    May has shown solemn dignity.
    Corbyn has tried to milk this tragedy ruthlessly and has looked like he's been enjoying himself.
    Pulpstar said:

So approximately the gross annual wage in the country to live in a council block.

There will be millionaire property owners and people earnings hundreds of thousands per year living next to those on minimum wage and social security.

SeanT's street is another example.

This is not healthy for society.
    And put westway underground too.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    PAW said:

And put westway underground too.

Heathrow Airport too.

Corbyn has tried to milk this tragedy ruthlessly and has looked like he's been enjoying himself.

MAYBOT
    INSTALLING 'SOLEMN DIGNITY'
    FAILED
    TRY INSTALLING MODULE 'HIDE FROM THE PROLES' (Y/N)?
    edited June 2017
    TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

Best place would have been with the injured at the hospital.
    I could be way incorrect here but if I recall she did visit injured people in the hospital after the Manchester attack but it was off camera. Which she should have done here.

surbiton said:

Appears she doesn't like meeting people, public speaking or interviews. Makes you wonder why she became a politician in the first place. I guess some kind of sense of public duty.
    I wonder how much the CofE background and not being able to have children might have been an influence.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150

I am not fan of Khan, but I am not sure how he is at all at fault in this?
  • calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Live on Sky

He's the establishment and he's not offering change.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Oh he is, there's no doubt about that. He's enjoying every single delicious second of his fifteen minutes.
  • DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Nice try but even Guido is saying that Corbyn has played a blinder.
    Political Genie‏ @PoliticalGenie 3m3 minutes ago

#LondonMayor @SadiqKhan has now left the building to boos and quite a bit of hostility and anger. #GrenfellTower

Political Genie‏ @PoliticalGenie

#LondonMayor still holed up in community centre after being confronted by locals at #GrenfellTower, now heavy police presence.

#LondonMayor @SadiqKhan now hiding in community centre after being set upon by local residents at #GrenfellTower

• EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    DanSmith said:

Nice try but even Guido is saying that Corbyn has played a blinder.
    The two are not mutually exclusive.
  • trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Jesus. David Lammy has already proclaimed the fire as corporate manslaughter . Has a FIT officer even been able to get in the block yet? Really should know better at MP level.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,248
    Even after her successful appearance before her MPs at which she acknowledged it was her mess and she was going to clear it up, some commentators here and elsewhere suggested she was just one mistake away from losing her position.

Is this that mistake?
    trawl said:

Jesus. David Lammy has already proclaimed the fire as corporate manslaughter . Has a FIT officer even been able to get in the block yet? Really should know better at MP level.

He has form....

Do you have inside knowledge of the responsibility for what happened then? Do we not need a public inquiry?
    What a stupid comment. Do you have any evidence what so ever that Khan was in any way aware of issues at this tower block? Moreover why should he be unless someone had specifically contacted him about it?

Yes we need a public enquiry. No we don't need to be indulging in the sort of dumb partisan insinuations you seem to be making.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    TGOHF said:

Political Genie‏ @PoliticalGenie 3m3 minutes ago

#LondonMayor @SadiqKhan has now left the building to boos and quite a bit of hostility and anger. #GrenfellTower

Political Genie‏ @PoliticalGenie

#LondonMayor still holed up in community centre after being confronted by locals at #GrenfellTower, now heavy police presence.

#LondonMayor @SadiqKhan now hiding in community centre after being set upon by local residents at #GrenfellTower

Now we know why May didn't go. There would have been a full blown riot, and people would have got hurt. She did the right thing staying away.
  • Khan getting serious grief from the public at his presser. It's a real backlash against the authorities.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    Khan needing Police protection from a very angry crowd
  • RobC said:

The DUP support whatever gives them greatest leverage.

If you go for a cross-party, soft Brexit, let's get moderate Labour, SNP and Lib Dems on board type vibe, it essentially writes the DUP out. If you go for a Tory-centric approach you have to keep the DUP on board, and they have the blues firmly by the goolies come 2019.
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is why the death toll will rise and rise - sub lets , room sharing etc.

The hidden truth of modern living.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,388
    edited June 2017

The residents aren't going to get much sympathy if they start acting as a mob
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    if t was an exploding fridge arent the manufacturers to blame as well - fridges should not explode
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726

Even after her successful appearance before her MPs at which she acknowledged it was her mess and she was going to clear it up, some commentators here and elsewhere suggested she was just one mistake away from losing her position.

Is this that mistake?

Given the reaction to Sadiq Khan, it does not look like a mistake.
    marke09 said:

if t was an exploding fridge arent the manufacturers to blame as well - fridges should not explode

Depends how old it is
    marke09 said:

Green fridge causes green cladding to go up in flames ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1210334/Alert-new-wave-exploding-fridges-caused-environmentally-friendly-coolant.html

The residents aren't going to get much sympathy if they start acting as a mob
    Their passions have been inflamed by irresponsible opportunists like Corbyn and Lammy.
    Sean_F said:

Is this that mistake?

Given the reaction to Sadiq Khan, it does not look like a mistake.
    Unsurprisingly the PM has better intel on the ground.
    marke09 said:

Depends how old the fridge was, the electrics, what it was being used for and who knows what else.
    The media need to be really careful here, the past two days they have been spreading all sorts of claims with little to no evidence.

May has done the right thing by saying there will be a public inquiry to get to the bottom of this.
    People asking Khan to apologise for not supporting Corbyn
    I fear we may get riots over the weekend that will be hijacked by rent-a-mob
    TGOHF said:

marke09 said:

Green fridge causes green cladding to go up in flames ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1210334/Alert-new-wave-exploding-fridges-caused-environmentally-friendly-coolant.html

More likely to be a tumble drier - there have been dozens and dozens of incidents with certain brands in recent years.
This discussion has been closed.