Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farron quits

124»

Comments

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    isam said:
    Increasingly looking like an old man in a hurry.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    isam said:
    So the £10m refurbishment came from nowhere.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I will stick with Cable at 50-1 and Swinson at 3-1.On the You Gov poll on gender and age,it was old men wot swung it for the Tories.Longer term,these Express readers are going to be extinct as will the awful paper.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

Pulpstar said:

Who will you be voting for in the forthcoming Tory leadership election ?

I have no idea.

Anyone but Boris.

But I can't vote for David Davis, or what I call the headbanging Tombstone group/Hard Brexit gives them the wood.
    That's the sort of thinking that saw the Tory party end up with May as leader.
    We have form for that.

In 2001 IDS won because he wasn't Ken Clarke

In 1997 Hague won because he wasn't Ken Clarke.

In 1990 Major won because he wasn't Heseltine.

The last time we chose a party leader because of who he was, rather who he wasn't, he became the only Tory leader to win a majority in 25 years
    Thatcher won because she wasn't Heath in the first round of 1975.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Chris said:

The point is that Farron didn't have a record of voting for gay rights. He actually voted against banning discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, for heaven's sake!

Would someone who had voted against banning racial discrimination (1) have the gall to portrayal himself as a crusader for ethnic minorities or (2) have that portrayal uncritically accepted?

(3) Have the temerity to put himself forward as a leader of a liberal party. What was he/they thinking? If he has had to deal with he conflict between his faith and liberal politics - then I can only presume that the answer to the question is yes, Farron does think gay sex is a sin.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    He's learning the culture of intolerance that he and his fellow travellers have created.

I respect him more for making this decision but have no sympathy for him
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Y0kel said:

So the guy has a personal view, he isn't persecuting anyone, he isn't being incendiary, he isnt advocating violence or discrimination.

He has to resign in essence because of it.

So much for liberal democracy.

I prefer to believe that he resigned to avoid hypocrisy. As someone who may not believe in gay relationships he could hardly run a party that supported such relationships.

I think he did the right thing
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:
    He will hammer away at every single thing from now on, mainly because he has momentum but also because he is awful at actually opposing the government. A very good campaigner, but awful at the day to day work of opposition hence he wants an election right now before he gets dragged into press releases and shadow cabinet work.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

Pulpstar said:

Who will you be voting for in the forthcoming Tory leadership election ?

I have no idea.

Anyone but Boris.

But I can't vote for David Davis, or what I call the headbanging Tombstone group/Hard Brexit gives them the wood.
    That's the sort of thinking that saw the Tory party end up with May as leader.
    We have form for that.

In 2001 IDS won because he wasn't Ken Clarke

In 1997 Hague won because he wasn't Ken Clarke.

In 1990 Major won because he wasn't Heseltine.

The last time we chose a party leader because of who he was, rather who he wasn't, he became the only Tory leader to win a majority in 25 years
    Thatcher won because she wasn't Heath in the first round of 1975.
    Before my time :lol:
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    Speaking as someone who relatively recently (March) joined the Liberal Democrats despite Tim Farron, rather than because of him, my reaction to his resignation is bordering on delight. :D I hope the next leader has enough about them to take on the hapless May and the ridiculous Corbyn.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:
    He will hammer away at every single thing from now on, mainly because he has momentum but also because he is awful at actually opposing the government. A very good campaigner, but awful at the day to day work of opposition hence he wants an election right now before he gets dragged into press releases and shadow cabinet work.
    Sure, but this is extremely easy for the government to rebut, there was £10m spent on the building very recently.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Charles said:

He's learning the culture of intolerance that he and his fellow travellers have created.

I respect him more for making this decision but have no sympathy for him
    I don't believe he made this decision. It was made for him. When your colleagues make it clear they don't support you, you don't have much choice.

His attempt at playing the victim card today of all days looks very ill-judged.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

Y0kel said:

So the guy has a personal view, he isn't persecuting anyone, he isn't being incendiary, he isnt advocating violence or discrimination.

I prefer to believe that he resigned to avoid hypocrisy. As someone who may not believe in gay relationships he could hardly run a party that supported such relationships.

It wasn't just that the party supported such relationships. It was that Farron himself claimed - falsely - to be a crusader for gay rights.

He's not a Christian martyr - he's just a run-of-the-mill hypocritical politician who got rumbled.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    edited June 2017

The tories need a macron looking leader for the next GE and TSE could be on to something with Johnny Mercer but can he think on his feet is another matter ;-)

Oh he can.

He'll also get the women's vote back that Theresa frittered away.
    His constituency is distinctly downmarket, which is good.

The Conservatives will need a change of image at the next election and he does fit the bill.

He needs an opportunity in government now.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Corbyn statement issued while a tragedy is still unfolding is a bloody disgrace. Myopic. Self obsessed. What gives politics a bad name.

As somebody just said in a different context.
  • Options

The tories need a macron looking leader for the next GE and TSE could be on to something with Johnny Mercer but can he think on his feet is another matter ;-)

Oh he can.

The Conservatives will need a change of image at the next election and he does fit the bill.

Kwasi Kwarteng please. I hope he gets an opportunity, even at the lower rungs.
  • Options

Worst leader would be a fight between Cable and Davey. Both Has-beens-who-never-really-were....

Vince Cable did what Thatcher didn't have the balls to do, privatise Royal Mail.
    At an utterly shite price.
    IPO price 442p

Current price 441p

You want to revisit your statement?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    MaxPB said:

HaroldO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:
    Sure, but this is extremely easy for the government to rebut, there was £10m spent on the building very recently.
    And if it would have taken £15m to do a proper job...
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    On Cable's age: as noted by Alastair Meeks in the post earlier today, we have to assume that this Parliament will run the distance. At the very least, there's a highly significant probability that it will.

Which means Cable will be 79 when the election happens. Assuming he stands in the election, he's signing up to be an MP (at least) until age 84.

I don't want to be ageist, but there comes a time when it doesn't look feasible.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HaroldO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:
    He's preaching to the faithful, he wants to keep his large core vote in place for the soon to occur election. If the government do sort themselves out with the DUP then he is back in his office, trying to fill out his cabinet whilst half heartedly stopping his hardcore supporters from abusing anyone that disagrees with him.
    So back to three months ago.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Worst leader would be a fight between Cable and Davey. Both Has-beens-who-never-really-were....

Vince Cable did what Thatcher didn't have the balls to do, privatise Royal Mail.
    IPO price 442p

Current price 441p

It touched 618p..... So, no.
  • Options

Are people forgetting Jo has a very young baby?

Duncan can look after their kid
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Hungary:

Orban 43
    Everyone else on 8 or below
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

isam said:
    Corbyn statement issued while a tragedy is still unfolding is a bloody disgrace. Myopic. Self obsessed. What gives politics a bad name.

Bollocks.

Life and politics goes on.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    Charles said:

Are people forgetting Jo has a very young baby?

Duncan can look after their kid
    And, assuming it's 5 years until the election, said kid will be 8 years old at the time - not really a baby.
    If the Blairs can have a baby while he's PM, the Swinsons can deal with a small child while she's leader.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2017
    Charles said:

IPO price 442p

Current price 441p

I didn't realise the IPO price should be judged by the price three and a half years later.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

HaroldO said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:
    And if it would have taken £15m to do a proper job...
    How would anyone know? Who knows what the spending priorities were. We do know that the building management and council had been ignoring the concerns of residents for a long time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    Pulpstar said:

Hungary:

Orban 43
    Everyone else on 8 or below

That may be the state of play now, but wait until Orban hires Crosby and runs his campaign on the basis of a choice between either "me or opponent X". :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

IPO price 442p

Current price 441p

I didn't realise the IPO price should be judged by the price three and a half years later.
    Love the way Charles ignores historic dividends in his calculation too !
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Oh he can.

Agreed. Very impressive election result too.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459

isam said:

Bollocks.

Today is not the day to play politics
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I might be missing something, but whilst Jo Swinson is rightly the favourite, isn't Ed Davey too long? I just got a few quid on at 12.0.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/875067723939753986

Well, he's not quite as beautiful as Marilyn Monroe, but guess Trump will have to settle for it.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Another reason not to rejoin the Lib Dems. *Sighs*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

On Cable's age: as noted by Alastair Meeks in the post earlier today, we have to assume that this Parliament will run the distance. At the very least, there's a highly significant probability that it will.

Which means Cable will be 79 when the election happens. Assuming he stands in the election, he's signing up to be an MP (at least) until age 84.

I don't want to be ageist, but there comes a time when it doesn't look feasible.

Gladstone, who in some respects Cable resembles, was Liberal leader and PM until 84
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

If Swinson does win, which would be the biggest party other than Labour to have never elected a female leader?

Also, she wouldn't get confused with a Tory MP all the time but she's bound to be repeatedly autocorrected to Swindon...

If Swinson does win, which would be the biggest party other than Labour to have never elected a female leader?

Also, she wouldn't get confused with a Tory MP all the time but she's bound to be repeatedly autocorrected to Swindon...

Have Sinn Fein ever had a female leader?
    I thought that might be a good call, but apparently they have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Buckley
    I think the answer, depending on how you define biggest party, is probably the UUP. But whoever it is, it's either a regional, single-issue or startup party.

Let's hear it for all-women shortlists!
    Errm Michelle O' Neill is the current leader of the Shinners !
    Only at Stormont. She's the Shinner equivalent of Kezia Dugdale.
    Either way, I'm looking for a party that has never had an elected/permanent female leader and Wiki gave me a different counter-example for SF.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,884
    houndtang said:

Seems like there were an unusual number of seats this time around with very narrow (less than 100) majorities? Or is that just perception?

There were 12 in Scotland alone with majorities under 400.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    New thread........
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

isam said:

Bollocks.

Read this article from November 2016, discussing fire safety in Kensington Tower blocks:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/
  • Options
    Anybody here been to the summer solstice at Stonehenge? One of those things on my bucket list - but is it worth the sleep deprivation?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    HYUFD said:

Gladstone, who in some respects Cable resembles, was Liberal leader and PM until 84
    Is that because he roams the streets at night trying to reform fallen women?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

NEW THREAD

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138

Very impressive statement by Farron. I feel very sorry for him being so torn. I'm a churchgoer who is becoming more liberal as time goes on. I do that because my faith is very much based on love God and love thy neighbour. All else is flim flam.

I quite agree with that - I think the problem for Farron is that he was/is genuinely torn between evangelising for his Christian beliefs, and as *leader* of the Liberal party evangelising for certain political tenets of that party which don't sit entirely comfortably with his particular Christian beliefs.

Were he just an MP, then that almost certainly would be a conundrum he could happily live with. As leader of the party, it's just not tenable.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459

isam said:

Bollocks.

Read this article from November 2016, discussing fire safety in Kensington Tower blocks:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/
    Today is not the day to play politics and you are doing just that. I would have expected more from you
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    One day, sometime soon I hope, we will have an athetist PM, who understands we should live for now, and our children.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Regarding Shell, here's a small anecdote.

About a decade ago, as a major investor in Shell, I got invited to visit the big gas to liquids plant (Pearl) in Qatar. On the bus from Doho to the plant, I chatted to the guy next to me. He worked at Shell, and he ran Shell's petrol station business in the UK, reporting. How big is that? Oh, sales of $12bn, pretax profits of $400m. As we departed the bus, we swapped cards. His said "Manager, Shell Retail".

Does your hobnobbing know no bounds? :p Didn't you meet with Rex Tillerson previously?
    He's a bigger networker than I am...

(But in my little world I get to see cool stuff. Someone just showed me around the Frankenfish facility...)
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242

Pulpstar said:

Anyone who maintains our voting system and counting of the votes should take note of the following .

NE FIFE a number of postal votes exceeding the majority went missing .
    Plymouth Sutton/Devonport The official result is out by 6,000 odd votes as one ward's results was not included in the official count
    Plymouth Moor View Several thousand postal votes were not sent out when they should have been . Many arrived too late to be used and 77 for overseas voters were not sent as it was too late .
    Newcastle Under Lyme . Several hundred late registered voters were not allowed to vote as some polling stations had not been issued with a fully updated voting register .

NE Fife sounds outrageous considering how close it was. My guess is postals are more likely to be Lib Dem rather than SNP too.
    Newcastle Under Lyme the majority was only 30 but most of those not allowed to vote were probably Labour voters
    These electoral services cock ups are probably just another indicator of the stress Local Government is under.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

Y0kel said:

Quite right. No place for religious zealotry in the Labour and Liberal parties. The Tories and UKIP should own that.
  • Options

Charles said:

IPO price 442p

Current price 441p

And I sold at 575p...

(But an IPO is about price discovery not maximising the price)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

IPO price 442p

Current price 441p

And I sold at 575p...

Tell that to the Left, who continue to say that the Tories sold it cheap to their mates in the City.... Vince has been airbrushed out of history.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242

isam said:

What utter hooey. This tragedy clearly has political resonance.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

slade said:

The media criticised Nick Clegg for being an atheist and Tim Farron for being a Christian. I wonder why?

Hadn't seen either. Farron was criticised for having non-LibDem positions on abortion on homosexuality, and being evasive about it - if he'd said at the start "Because of my religious beliefs I don't support etc., but the party does and I'm a democrat", he might have been OK, in much the same way as Corbyn did over Trident.

As for Clegg, I don't remember anything about his (lack of) religious views at all. Cameron was charmingly agnostic ("My belief comes and goes like radio reception in the Thames Valley", and everyone thought that pleasantluy mainstream.
    It did come up last time - Clegg said he was atheist, but his wife Miriam is a Spanish Catholic and their children are being raised as Catholics. I think it came up in the context of a discussion on catholic schools, which Clegg was complementary about.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Charles said:

IPO price 442p

Current price 441p

And I sold at 575p...

Well you should set the IPO price at 1p then.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited June 2017
    Test
This discussion has been closed.