Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farron quits

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    And Mike's holiday starts in a fortnight.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Pulpstar said:

Shadow Secretary for Northern Ireland: Owen Smith

Lol Corbyn definitely has a sense of humour.

"And for you Owen"
    "Northern Ireland"
    It's where all the action is for the next 5 years.....
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    dr_spyn said:
    I was expecting big changes bringing the moderates in.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

PClipp said:

Does the reason for Tim's resignation mean he will not fight his seat again? Or does God not get in the way of him doing weekly surgeries?

Why are you sneering at God, Mr Mark? Are you a heathen or an atheist?
    Both. But I'm not sneering at God. I'm sneering at somebody who couldn't see that the clash between his faith and the given liberal attitudes of the day wouldn't survive first contact with the media.
    I sympathise with Farron.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    atia2 said:

I reckon Davey at 11/1 is value. Former cabinet member, experienced, high profile, decent seat majority. Swinson may not want the job as a young mother. Her odds seem prohibitive, unless someone knows something already.

She'll be 8-11 generally shortly, which is probably fair but not value.
    I think...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

It just dawned on me, every Lib Dem who served in the coalition cabinet either lost their seat or ended up in prison at some point, except Alistair Carmichael

Coalition of Curse.

Why can't Tim join the DUP?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

I would have thought Vince Cable is the heavyweight the LDs need with Brexit coming up, this is a decade too early for Swinson

Vince Cable is 74. Too old

And too conceited.
    That's never been a disqualification for high office.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

I think that's a pretty dignified and decent statement from Tim Farron.

+1
    Absolutley but suprised he didnt go yesterday. Something happened between 18:00 and 20:00 to change his mind. My in box has one email from him about the deputy leadership election at 18:00 and the less than two hours latter hes gone. All credit to him hes done the right thing and i wish him well
  • Options
    I'm expecting London to be the big loser in the budget, it has told the Tories to fuck off and all the regions will want some pie if NI is getting some too - watch out for additional funding for poorer areas...
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Cant understand why Farron isnt defecting to the DUP

Because he has a veey different outlook.

Farron's been trying to dance the line of dividing his personali views with his political ones. It's very much a traditionally liberal line of "I think x is sinful, but my liberal beliefs mean I won't make it illegal".

I think when he ran for leader he thought he could either toe that line or just dodge questions about it.

It became increasingly clear that wasn't going to work.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,382
    chloe said:

dr_spyn said:
    Why? That would really pee off those who supported him through some very difficult times.

A lot of those moderates owe him, one way or another.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr B,

In which party would those questions be off-limits? Even in the DUP, those questions would be asked and re-asked. So in which party are those questions off-limits? And would a devout Muslim be asked.??

The Labour party regards itself as progressive - I'm sure many are devout Muslims, but would a potential Muslim leader be asked them?

The charge of Islamophobia would follow three seconds later.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    CD13 said:

Mr B,

In which party would those questions be off-limits? Even in the DUP, those questions would be asked and re-asked. So in which party are those questions off-limits? And would a devout Muslim be asked.??

The Labour party regards itself as progressive - I'm sure many are devout Muslims, but would a potential Muslim leader be asked them?

The charge of Islamophobia would follow three seconds later.

Did they ask those questions of Sadiq Khan?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    I don't know much about Jo Swinson, not somebody I remember seeing a lot about. Is there any possibility that she would be more willing to come to some arrangement with the conservatives?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

I reckon Davey at 11/1 is value. Former cabinet member, experienced, high profile, decent seat majority. Swinson may not want the job as a young mother. Her odds seem prohibitive, unless someone knows something already.

I think...
    Cant get 1-2 on Betfair now .
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    corporeal said:

Because he has a veey different outlook.

Farron's been trying to dance the line of dividing his personali views with his political ones. It's very much a traditionally liberal line of "I think x is sinful, but my liberal beliefs mean I won't make it illegal".

I think when he ran for leader he thought he could either toe that line or just dodge questions about it.

It became increasingly clear that wasn't going to work.
    shows how little you know about the DUP

Sammy has real liberal tendancies

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/MAYOR+SETTLES+NAKED+ROMP+PICTURES+ROW;+Sammy+wins+damages+over...-a065830098
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I don't know much about Jo Swinson, not somebody I remember seeing a lot about. Is there any possibility that she would be more willing to come to some arrangement with the conservatives?

No.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    Betting Update: EVERYONE bar Marathonbet is now odds on for Swinson. WH are 1.36!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

I think...
    Have a sneaking fealing it will be a crronation, why waste money and time on an election. The only problem is some of the grandees will back lamb or cable but they should have more sense. When paddy stood down they wanted ming but kennedy won, when he went they wanted hune but clegg won and whe clegg went they wanted lamb but tim won. The party wants an activist not a sage and ive been amember for nearly 40 years
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

I think...
    Have a sneaking fealing it will be a crronation, why waste money and time on an election. The only problem is some of the grandees will back lamb or cable but they should have more sense. When paddy stood down they wanted ming but kennedy won, when he went they wanted hune but clegg won and whe clegg went they wanted lamb but tim won. The party wants an activist not a sage and ive been amember for nearly 40 years
    It shouldn't be a coronation !
    We've seen how disastrous those are recently no matter how good we all THINK the candidates are. A proper contest is needed.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Snap!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    I didn't think Tim Farron was too bad to be honest.

Interesting that he has gone after increasing Lib-Dem seats (albeit only slightly) while May clings on after blowing her majority....
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Mr Paristonda,

"Did they ask those questions of Sadiq Khan?"

I'm not sure Sadiq qualifies as 'devout', but I don't remember it.

Edit: I might be wrong as to 'devout;' but it's his business anyway.
  • Options
    chloe said:

dr_spyn said:
    Why should Jezza do that when he has been so successful on his own terms?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

HYUFD said:

I would have thought Vince Cable is the heavyweight the LDs need with Brexit coming up, this is a decade too early for Swinson

If Ronald Reagan could be the most powerful man in the world at 74 surely Vince Cable can lead the LDs at the same age? Cable is the heavyweight the LDs require to make the soft Brexit case at this critical time for our country, this is not the right time for Swinson
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Interesting that he has gone after increasing Lib-Dem seats (albeit only slightly) while May clings on after blowing her majority....

Blowing David Cameron's majority, not Theresa May's majority.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Vince Cable is far too old to be leader....although I would LOL if they elected him as their leader. TBF, I don't think they'd too badly with him as LD leader.

Really though, it should be Jo Swinson.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

I think...
    It shouldn't be a coronation !
    We've seen how disastrous those are recently no matter how good we all THINK the candidates are. A proper contest is needed.
    Yes but on a reduced timescale please and lets ensure we get postal votes unlike my last constituency selection
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

I think...
    Don't party rules say you need one-eighth of MPs to nominate? If so, that would be 2?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Not sure Jo Swinson would want to be leader with a young child. She could be deputy leader to Cable or Lamb.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

I think...
    It may be a coronation but it is better for the Party if it is not . A leadership election will probably get us 20,000 plus more members .
  • Options
    Quincel said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

I think...
    Don't party rules say you need one-eighth of MPs to nominate? If so, that would be 2?
    Ed Davey can nominate Cable I guess !
  • Options
    nichomar said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

+1
    Absolutley but suprised he didnt go yesterday. Something happened between 18:00 and 20:00 to change his mind. My in box has one email from him about the deputy leadership election at 18:00 and the less than two hours latter hes gone. All credit to him hes done the right thing and i wish him well
    In the modern media age Farron was trying to dance on a pin head - and had all the dexterity of Anne Widdecombe limbo dancing on hot coals whilst clad in tight lycra - Not a pretty sight.

The LibDem also had a curates egg of an election. 12 seats, 4 gains and 4 very narrow losses. There are also another 8 seats as viable targets. However outside of these 24 seats the yellow peril have been hollowed out in a vast swath of seats.

The next LibDem leader has one hell of a job. 60+ seats from 2005 is a world from another age.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

yes but camerons wasnt much of a majority lets not pretend did more than just scrape over the line
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242
    Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

No.
    The Lib Dems do best with maverick, twinkle in the eye type leaders. Lets face it, a sense of humour should be part of the job description. Ashdown and Kennedy both had it in spades.
  • Options

Not sure Jo Swinson would want to be leader with a young child. She could be deputy leader to Cable or Lamb.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Ronald Reagan could be the most powerful man in the world at 74 surely Vince Cable can lead the LDs at the same age? Cable is the heavyweight the LDs require to make the soft Brexit case at this critical time for our country, this is not the right time for Swinson
    I am sure us Lib Dems will take note of your advice before consigning it to the rubbish bin .
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

yes but camerons wasnt much of a majority lets not pretend did more than just scrape over the line
    https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/873978710038388737
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Dr Vice does become Lib-Dem leader what will be the combined age of the leaders of Con, Lab and Lib? :D
  • Options
    Very impressive statement by Farron. I feel very sorry for him being so torn. I'm a churchgoer who is becoming more liberal as time goes on. I do that because my faith is very much based on love God and love thy neighbour. All else is flim flam.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

yes but camerons wasnt much of a majority lets not pretend he did more than just scrape over the line
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    chloe said:

dr_spyn said:
    They can't, this would piss off the more extreme wings of his support who literally hate the moderates. It was all over my facebook feed after the election, Chris Leslie was copping a lot of it.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

It became her majority after Cameron became a quitter... ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am sure us Lib Dems will take note of your advice before consigning it to the rubbish bin .
    Do what you want but the idea 74 is too old to be a leader is absurd, Mitterand, Chirac, Reagan, Churchill all led their countries at that age
  • Options
    Mr Senior,

I suspect Ms Swinson will win as it's a woman's turn because you haven't had one yet. But feel free to ignore my advice as I'm a lapsed LD voter.
  • Options
    JackW said:

nichomar said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

+1
    In the modern media age Farron was trying to dance on a pin head - and had all the dexterity of Anne Widdecombe limbo dancing on hot coals whilst clad in tight lycra - Not a pretty sight.

The LibDem also had a curates egg of an election. 12 seats, 4 gains and 4 very narrow losses. There are also another 8 seats as viable targets. However outside of these 24 seats the yellow peril have been hollowed out in a vast swath of seats.

The next LibDem leader has one hell of a job. 60+ seats from 2005 is a world from another age.
    But you forget that local goverment progress is equally important to the party, its in our blood we want to improve peoples lives at every level of government and empower them to be, effectively involved. It may not be a grand ambition but is what atracted us to the party in the first place
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Because Farron is tolerant of the views of other religions and voted that way. Others seem intolerant of individual's Christian views, including Paddick, his Home Affairs spokesperson.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

can you do number of votes won and number of seats in Scotland

and then stop being a tit
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

GIN1138 said:

Would've been against Corbyn in a 2 horse race election.
  • Options
    JackW said:

nichomar said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

+1

That's a fight for another day. The next step is to get to 20.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

May still gained the second highest number of Tory seats after 2015 in 2017 since 1992 and the highest Tory voteshare
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Lamb will appeal to Tory voters and that's where LDs need to make more impact come the next election. Swinson will probably win though. Cable not for me.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

That was all down to Ruth Davidson.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Dr Vice does become Lib-Dem leader what will be the combined age of the leaders of Con, Lab and Lib? :D
    It is a good thing leaders with experience are coming to the fore again
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Negotiating the DUP deal

May: Hi Arlene, do you want to be heading back to NI to explain to your constituents why you put the Sinn Fein loving, terrorist sympathiser into Number 10
    Arlene: No
    May: See you at the Queens speech then. Bye.
  • Options
    Mr O,
    "It was all over my facebook feed after the election."

The kids only see black and white. Jezza is a saint and all who disobey must be purged. They remind me of the Spanish Inquisition without the tolerance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

May still gained the second highest number of Tory seats after 2015 in 2017 since 1992 and the highest Tory voteshare
    Bums on seats, bums on seats.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah because all the "experience" Theresa May had worked out well in the general election...
  • Options
    midwinter said:

GIN1138 said:

Would've been against Corbyn in a 2 horse race election.
    He would have done better, but I think the Conservatives' difficulties run deeper than their Leader (and so do Labour's).
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    If Swinson does win, which would be the biggest party other than Labour to have never elected a female leader?

Also, she wouldn't get confused with a Tory MP all the time but she's bound to be repeatedly autocorrected to Swindon...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094

Very impressive statement by Farron. I feel very sorry for him being so torn. I'm a churchgoer who is becoming more liberal as time goes on. I do that because my faith is very much based on love God and love thy neighbour. All else is flim flam.

Locally the higher CoE churches are far more liberal than the happy clappy variations....
  • Options
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mark

My advice is to political betting readers - not to the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

GIN1138 said:

oh good

She wasn't very good at the in 2015, I think setting up a breakaway party that opposes the Tories at every turn helped.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

the fact that May got 3 million votes more than Cameron did in 2010 ?

we learn new things every day

first election Cameron 307 seats May 318

• Options

Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

No.
    The Lib Dems do best with maverick, twinkle in the eye type leaders. Lets face it, a sense of humour should be part of the job description. Ashdown and Kennedy both had it in spades.
    Vince Cable said of Gordon Brown - from Stalin to Mr Bean. Does that count?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

GIN1138 said:

oh good

She wasn't very good at the in 2015, I think setting up a breakaway party that opposes the Tories at every turn helped.
    Being the party of the Union, and the party of Leave, really boosted Scots Tories (in addition to her personality).
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    BigRich said:

No Jo is more to the left of the party than Lamb who is likely to be the only other person that stands. (At least I hope some people tell Vince not to).
    Indeed at the spring conference she hosted a session with Rachael Maskell from Labour about the progressive alliance
    The biggest reason why I would not bet on her at these odds (and I wish I had taken the 12/1 2 or 3 weeks ago now) is that it is not clear that she wants the position, I would say that makes Lamb the slightly more appealing option betting wise since he has shown he does want to lead.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, and 318 is more than 307...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

But 318 is fewer than 331.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah because all the "experience" Theresa May had worked out well in the general election...
    Well she did still get 42% of the vote
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Tim's statement reads oddly to me - it's mostly dignified and friendly and then at the end it veers off into wants sounds like genuine bitterness. I know evangelical Christians who feel that they are oppressed in Britain, and that part of the statement has the same flavour.

Personally I don't think they're right - nobody was really nasty to Farron about having his beliefs, but they seemed to sit uneasily with LibDem policies, in the same way as if May suddenly demanded nationalisation of the railways. I think it's reasonable to criticise that.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

She screwed up the opportunity.

She started on 331, Dave stated on 198.
  • Options
    Norman Lamb seems more likely to accept we are leaving the EU and the single market and the customs union - and so develop more pragmatic Lib Dem policies accordingly.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Cameron topped the table for most Tory seats since 1992 in 2015 but May came second in 2017
  • Options
    nichomar said:

JackW said:

nichomar said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

+1

But you forget that local goverment progress is equally important to the party, its in our blood we want to improve peoples lives at every level of government and empower them to be, effectively involved. It may not be a grand ambition but is what atracted us to the party in the first place
    I don't forget it all. Local government remains important to the LibDems, and rightly so, but it is not an inevitable precursor to parliamentary success. Look at Eastleigh last week and there have been many such cases down the decades.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Saltire said:

BigRich said:

No Jo is more to the left of the party than Lamb who is likely to be the only other person that stands. (At least I hope some people tell Vince not to).
    Indeed at the spring conference she hosted a session with Rachael Maskell from Labour about the progressive alliance
    The biggest reason why I would not bet on her at these odds (and I wish I had taken the 12/1 2 or 3 weeks ago now) is that it is not clear that she wants the position, I would say that makes Lamb the slightly more appealing option betting wise since he has shown he does want to lead.
    Saltire, thanks for that.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,013
    edited June 2017
    BigRich said:

I very much doubt it. She got cynically decapitated along with 49 colleagues after the last arrangement with the Conservatives.

Here she is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2iF1V4ZtM

• Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

As ever you just keep picking your scabs people like you will keep the tories out of power for years

yes she screwed up, so did Caneron in 2010
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Tory Majority in 2015. Ukip rendered obsolete by 2017 and T May still loses seats despite going out of her way to give ex-kippers a boner.
    Nice work
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Poor old Chukka.... on the airwaves at the weekend touting for a job...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    345 lost deposits isn't a great total for Tim Farron.

An over promoted councillor, not a political leader.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

As ever you just keep picking your scabs people like you will keep the tories out of power for years

The crash, the expenses scandal and a popular 3rd party screwed the Tories in 2017, plus of cause the lingering memories of the Euro whack jobs. Lucky May learnt from that.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

Cameron was clearly the best election winner the Tories have had since Thatcher but I would still put May above Hague and Howard in terms of general election performance if below Major. She also polled well above what IDS was polling during his leadership
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

oh good

Balls. I'm making sure people remember what helps Tories win elections and seats.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Tim's statement reads oddly to me - it's mostly dignified and friendly and then at the end it veers off into wants sounds like genuine bitterness. I know evangelical Christians who feel that they are oppressed in Britain, and that part of the statement has the same flavour.

Personally I don't think they're right - nobody was really nasty to Farron about having his beliefs, but they seemed to sit uneasily with LibDem policies, in the same way as if May suddenly demanded nationalisation of the railways. I think it's reasonable to criticise that.

To be a genuine Christian in modern Britain is to be an outlaw. It's now compulsory to applaud the gravest sins.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    CD13 said:

Mr O,
    "It was all over my facebook feed after the election."

The kids only see black and white. Jezza is a saint and all who disobey must be purged. They remind me of the Spanish Inquisition without the tolerance.

It's still going on, when Labour today went after the government about the horrific fire in London and people said that it was rather too soon I was reading stuff about not saying something it just as much a political act as saying something.
    So everything is a political act now comrade, I thought the incestuous semantics of the socialist left was dead. I was wrong.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Tory Majority in 2015. Ukip rendered obsolete by 2017 and T May still loses seats despite going out of her way to give ex-kippers a boner.
    Nice work
    werent you one of the people saying the young woulnt turn out ?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,013
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do what you want but the idea 74 is too old to be a leader is absurd, Mitterand, Chirac, Reagan, Churchill all led their countries at that age
    Cable was the emergency stop gap candidate for Twickenham. It wasn't his intention to stand in 2020. He was ready for other retiring things.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    So it all turned out well in the end!

Super Theresa!
    - first CON to get 40% since 1992!
    - best CON result in Scotland since 1983!
    - first time CON have increased vote share 3rd time in government since 1959!
    - first ever CON win Mansfield and Stoke on Trent South!

LOL posh boys and BREXIT losers CAMO and OSBO (who slashed my pension to pay for IHT reductions for people built on family money) good riddance!

Go DUP our allies!!

Anyway BREXIT is boring so I will be back in 5 years for #THERESA22!

See you later :lol:

• Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

oh good

Cameron was clearly the best election winner the Tories have had since Thatcher but I would still put May above Hague and Howard in terms of general election performance if below Major. She also polled well above what IDS was polling during his leadership
    Better than IDS? Praise indeed...
  • Options
    Dr P,

Not a political point - a genuine question. How do your party's LBGT policies sit with your Muslim MPs and voters?
  • Options
    Hurrah, the Lib Dems use STV to elect their leaders.

STV is like AV on steroids.
  • Options

It became obvious that he had a problem about personal beliefs versus actual votes on legislation, which even if you look more closely at his abstentions were because he wanted wider inclusion within whay was being passed. Once the media got their teeth into this it completely destroyed the party message. It is sad that our media is more interested in extracting a slip up rather than exploring real policy. In many ways it was the same with corbyn with paxman but he handled it much better. Short concise answers put the interviewer down move on please
  • Options

midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Nice work
    werent you one of the people saying the young woulnt turn out ?
    No.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Best Tory leaders, as per TSE

1. Cameron
    2. Thatcher
    3.Howard
    4. Eden
    5.Macmillan
    6. Hague
    7. May
    8.Heath
    9.Home
    10.Churchill
  • Options
    edited June 2017

If Swinson does win, which would be the biggest party other than Labour to have never elected a female leader?

Also, she wouldn't get confused with a Tory MP all the time but she's bound to be repeatedly autocorrected to Swindon...

Lib Dem solution to Brexit from Swindon/Swinson at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swindon_Magic_Roundabout.svg

• Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

Vince Cable is far too old to be leader....although I would LOL if they elected him as their leader. TBF, I don't think they'd too badly with him as LD leader.

Really though, it should be Jo Swinson.

Why should it, another Social Democrat would be another missed opportunity, a proper Liberal could make some decent inroads against both Labour and the Conservatives, Cable probably could as well with his profile. Liberal's have far better calibre candidates available, they will go nowhere with Swinson.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

But 318 is fewer than 331.
    Yes, but you said first general election as leader...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

GIN1138 said:

oh good

Interesting snippets, but hard to argue with the fact that Cameron's achievement in 2010 was by far the greater.
    His judgement in having a referendum rather dooms him to be remembered for the wrong thing.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

oh good

Better than IDS? Praise indeed...
    Plus Hague and Howard in my view
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cable was the emergency stop gap candidate for Twickenham. It wasn't his intention to stand in 2020. He was ready for other retiring things.
    Maybe but the opportunity has clearly presented itself so he should go for it
This discussion has been closed.