Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Tory MPs must stop the Tory DUP deal from happening

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

TSE is BME.

Most BME communities aren't exactly tolerant of gay people.

Most BME-majority countries have restrictions/severe penalties for being gay.

I thought that at least the days of judging people by the colour of their skin had passed, even if homophobia is still acceptable in some quarters.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    MaxPB said:

One nation Toryism didn't last long!

Tories are on the wrong side of the divides on age, education and Brexit to win back in London.

Yes, I said that before the election. Chasing Blue Labour at the expense of our base was and is a stupid strategy. Blue Labour are still Labour, all we did this election was cede the centre ground of politics to the left by taking on those idiotic policies like the energy price cap and the racial pay charter. Hopefully the next leader will see that and get our base back on side and fix the housing market so we can advance with 24-40 year old grauduates, usually a fairly solid bloc of supporters (around 35-45 con/lab vs probably 20/60 this time).
    And how are you going to 'fix the housing market' for your young graduates in Ealing and Enfield ?

They're still going to have their student debts and there will still be immigration into London.

And what are you going to do about the next year of students piling on the debt and then the next year and then the next year and then the next year ?

Because Corbyn's got some nice easy promises they understand.

And Corbyn is also going to be promising energy caps and rail fares caps - do you think your young graduates in Ealing and Enfield will support or oppose those ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

She will regret cosying up to the "unionists".

Like this guy...

https://twitter.com/jamieross7/status/873876129312120832
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    If anyone wants to play (I can't get my cash tied up for the moment) there is a grand to lay on Bojo at 3.5 for next leader.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    GIN1138 said:

calum said:
    Indeed. In-fact in 2015 Cameron and the Master Strategist themselves were sounding out the DUP as potential partners in the event of a hung parliament but the Lib-Dems not having enough seats or the will to keep the coalition going.

Conveniently forgotten by The Posh Boy fan club on here of course...
    Yes, Cameron had the credibility to be able to sell deals like that. The current Tory party struggles given their rhetoric over the last year.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:
    Can anyone in the Labour Party count?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Y0kel said:

If true then coalition talks with the DUP must be over, one way or the other. If true then once more, head to Betfair and back Con minority.
    Why so? Unless something has changed, the DUP as far as I'm aware aren't interested in ministeries so its little odds to them.
    True but for betting purposes, a coalition (Any Other) requires the DUP to have at least two cabinet seats (subject to a degree of fudge). A deal on confidence and supply means a Conservative minority government. There's a difference between talks with the DUP and coalition talks with the DUP.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I agree now but the price of fudged Brexit will inevitably be to revive UKIP

Let's hope this time the Conservatives chose to fight them instead of appeasing them. The Neville Chamberlain approach has led them into this mess.
    It may well be the Tories have to sacrifice a few of the Kippers they won on Thursday in order to gain more voters back from Labour but it will need to be a careful balancing act
    They need to re-gain the moderate fiscal conservatives (but socially liberal) Tories they lost in the south and London. There is no realistic path for a tory majority without Kensington, Canterbury and Bath.
    Took Cameron years to achieve that. Moderates aren't going to be fooled again so quickly, for that to happen the headbangers need to be purged from the parliamentary party or forced to publically recant.
    Yet it was Cameron and Osborne who increased tuition fees to £9k per year and oversaw collapsing home ownership among the young.

Should they be purged from the party or forced to publically recant ?
  • Options
    And the knives are out for Nicola

A FORMER SNP Cabinet Secretary has called for Nicola Sturgeon’s husband to be replaced as party chief executive in the wake of the General Election result.

Kenny MacAskill said that Peter Murrell being married to the SNP leader “must” affect his judgement as CEO and called for him to go after a successor is found.

Allies of former SNP leader Alex Salmond also questioned Sturgeon’s election tactics, arguing that she offered no “cohesive” strategy or persuasive reasons to vote for the party.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15340704.Kenny_MacAskill__Nicola_Sturgeon___s_husband_should_be_dumped_as_SNP_chief_executive/
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Scott_P said:

Disappointed he didn't lose his seat, this would be the next best thing...

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/873872446431965184

The first frother on Any Answers yesterday suggested him! It's a view, I suppose...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited June 2017
    JonathanD said:

GIN1138 said:

calum said:
    Indeed. In-fact in 2015 Cameron and the Master Strategist themselves were sounding out the DUP as potential partners in the event of a hung parliament but the Lib-Dems not having enough seats or the will to keep the coalition going.

Yes, Cameron had the credibility to be able to sell deals like that. The current Tory party struggles given their rhetoric over the last year.
    Oh right. So it's just about "selling" a deal then? So all the outrage about DUP policies is actually just part of the "game" ?

If TM was in a position to "sell" the deal it would be fine to cosy up with the DUP?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Y0kel said:

If true then coalition talks with the DUP must be over, one way or the other. If true then once more, head to Betfair and back Con minority.
    Why so? Unless something has changed, the DUP as far as I'm aware aren't interested in ministeries so its little odds to them.
    True but for betting purposes, a coalition (Any Other) requires the DUP to have at least two cabinet seats (subject to a degree of fudge). A deal on confidence and supply means a Conservative minority government. There's a difference between talks with the DUP and coalition talks with the DUP.
    With you now.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

The Lib Dems having refused to enter any arrangement with the Conservatives and the DUP having refused to enter any arrangement with Labour, and a government of national unity being a non-starter, there is literally no other combination that produces a stable government. So the country is going to be stuck with it.

It would be fair to ask Tim Farron a couple of questions about his stance.

Put through PR without a referendum and maybe a deal would be on.
    Otherwise asking another party to commit suicide to make up for Theresa May's blunder would seem a hard ask.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Let's hope this time the Conservatives chose to fight them instead of appeasing them. The Neville Chamberlain approach has led them into this mess.
    It may well be the Tories have to sacrifice a few of the Kippers they won on Thursday in order to gain more voters back from Labour but it will need to be a careful balancing act
    They need to re-gain the moderate fiscal conservatives (but socially liberal) Tories they lost in the south and London. There is no realistic path for a tory majority without Kensington, Canterbury and Bath.
    Yes, they need to regain those and seats like Eastbourne and Croydon Central but they also need to hold Mansfield, Copeland, Stoke South and Walsall North and Middlesborough South and Cleveland East and gain more seats like those too now some seats like Chester, Ilford North and Enfield North, Ealing Central and Acton, Westmister North and Hampstead and Kilburn which were on the Tory target seat list this time now have Labour majorities of close to 10,000 or more and are probably lost to the Tories for good
    There's a lot of fantasy thinking that changing the Conservative leaders or rhetoric will win back Ealing Central or Ilford North or Brighton Kemptown.

These seats have become unwinnable for the Conservatives just as Ealing North, Ilford South and Brighton Pavilion did a decade earlier.
    Wes' Ilford North majority on Thursday morning was 589. Within 24 hours it had risen to 9,639!
    Ilford North is an excellent example.

In 2005 it was 7% more Conservative than the country as a whole
    In 2010 it was 4% more Conservative than the country as a whole
    In 2015 it was 8% more Labour than the country as a whole
    In 2017 it was 21% more Labour than the country as a whole.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, they need to regain those and seats like Eastbourne and Croydon Central but they also need to hold Mansfield, Copeland, Stoke South and Walsall North and Middlesborough South and Cleveland East and gain more seats like those too now some seats like Chester, Ilford North and Enfield North, Ealing Central and Acton, Westmister North and Hampstead and Kilburn which were on the Tory target seat list this time now have Labour majorities of close to 10,000 or more and are probably lost to the Tories for good
    There's a lot of fantasy thinking that changing the Conservative leaders or rhetoric will win back Ealing Central or Ilford North or Brighton Kemptown.

These seats have become unwinnable for the Conservatives just as Ealing North, Ilford South and Brighton Pavilion did a decade earlier.
    Wes' Ilford North majority on Thursday morning was 589. Within 24 hours it had risen to 9,639!
    Yes, at the next election I will be campaigning in Thurrock and Dagenham not Ilford North and Enfield North as I did this time. The Tories now hold 0 seats in Ilford and Enfield out of 4 despite winning 318 seats, in 1992 they won all 4 seats in Ilford and Enfield when they won 336 seats nationally, not much more than they did this time. Only Enfield Southgate of the 4 is remotely winnable back for the Tories now
    You may need to be defending Chingford, my friend.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

JonathanD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Took Cameron years to achieve that. Moderates aren't going to be fooled again so quickly, for that to happen the headbangers need to be purged from the parliamentary party or forced to publically recant.
    Yet it was Cameron and Osborne who increased tuition fees to £9k per year and oversaw collapsing home ownership among the young.

Should they be purged from the party or forced to publically recant ?
    But strangely they managed to increase their vote after that and even achieve a majority. The head bangers took the keys to the car and crashed it while leaving driveway.

Its the narrative that wins an election, not individual policies.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    MaxPB said:

Tories are on the wrong side of the divides on age, education and Brexit to win back in London.

Yes, I said that before the election. Chasing Blue Labour at the expense of our base was and is a stupid strategy. Blue Labour are still Labour, all we did this election was cede the centre ground of politics to the left by taking on those idiotic policies like the energy price cap and the racial pay charter. Hopefully the next leader will see that and get our base back on side and fix the housing market so we can advance with 24-40 year old grauduates, usually a fairly solid bloc of supporters (around 35-45 con/lab vs probably 20/60 this time).
    Voters who went from Tory to Labour did so principally because of austerity and the fact they wanted more funds for the NHS and public services, not because the Tories were insufficiently laissez-faire. The remainder did so because they were hardcore Remainers, again not because of insufficiently rightwing economics. The so called 'dementia tax' was also a factor but the fact the government was no longer going to fund most of your personal social care was also a desire for more government intervention not less
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    JonathanD said:

GIN1138 said:

calum said:

Indeed, TM is a dreadful communicator. I remember when she became PM I was howled down by some on these pages when I said she did not have the skills for the job. Give her a chance they retorted, I did and she was as poor as I thought she would be. How can you not maintain a majority against Jeremy Corbyn FFS. It just goes to show how important media strategy is in modern politics. May has lost everything, the Referendum mandate she was using for Brexit has been superseded by GE2017 result. She really should be resigning the Tory leadership on Monday or Tuesday and remaining PM until a successor is appointed by HM Queen. The Brexit negotiations should wait until a successor has been installed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, at the next election I will be campaigning in Thurrock and Dagenham not Ilford North and Enfield North as I did this time. The Tories now hold 0 seats in Ilford and Enfield out of 4 despite winning 318 seats, in 1992 they won all 4 seats in Ilford and Enfield when they won 336 seats nationally, not much more than they did this time. Only Enfield Southgate of the 4 is remotely winnable back for the Tories now
    Yes, I will also add defence in Chingford and attack in Enfield Southgate
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017

May gambled on what she thought was a once-in-a-generation chance to reshape conservatism - and it failed.

Interestingly though, it failed in a really middling, mediocre way.

Kinda like going to vegas, playing one roulette number on 650 wheels simultaneously - and only coming out slightly down. Not really the expected result.

The next election will almost certainly see the blues back to playing red/black on 50 or so - of the 650 roulette wheels.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    kyf_100 said:

atia2 said:

kyf_100 said:

It was all about doing what is right, fixing the country, fighting inequality.

While it is definitely true that the young are utterly shafted by the concentration of wealth, power and housing in the hands of the old, 'fairer' ultimately means 'take from him and give to me'.

But that's precisely what fairness often requires. Recent economic policies have resulted in higher returns to capital than to labour and to age than to youth. It is entirely legitimate for young workers to ask for redress.

It's really rather childish to characterise that as "take from him and give to me" or "magic money tree" (not that I'm saying you do).
    My point is simply this - the young didn't vote out of altruism, they voted overwhelmingly in what they saw as their own economic self interest.
    Just learning a lesson from the oldies then.
  • Options

The Lib Dems having refused to enter any arrangement with the Conservatives and the DUP having refused to enter any arrangement with Labour, and a government of national unity being a non-starter, there is literally no other combination that produces a stable government. So the country is going to be stuck with it.

Otherwise asking another party to commit suicide to make up for Theresa May's blunder would seem a hard ask.
    Tim's speech today was excellent. I think he is striking the right note to take the party forward now, and I think he is safe from a leader challenge for the moment. If an election was held today St Ives, Cheltenham, North Devon would all be liberal again.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited June 2017

MaxPB said:

And how are you going to 'fix the housing market' for your young graduates in Ealing and Enfield ?

They're still going to have their student debts and there will still be immigration into London.

And what are you going to do about the next year of students piling on the debt and then the next year and then the next year and then the next year ?

And Corbyn is also going to be promising energy caps and rail fares caps - do you think your young graduates in Ealing and Enfield will support or oppose those ?
    You saw my policy brief earlier, demolish the buy-to-let sector and introduce government backed mortgages for first time buyers, plus government commissioned starter homes for sale to first time buyers with income under £40k (£60k in London).

Anyone who has been reading my posts knows that I've been harping on about how we need to increase home ownership among the 24-40 year old demographic before we can win big again.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    macisback said:

Boundary changes for the next election, will they not totally change the seat to seat dynamics.

yeah, the boundary changes wont be happening
  • Options
    calum said:
    The same Sinn Fein MPs who would have taken their seats to vote for Corbyn if he needed their support to form a minority government?
  • Options
    calum said:

Of course it is, it is designed to let everyone know that the Tories are going to be running the country propped up by a bunch of bigots with dubious paramilitary connections. It is working
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2017
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I will also add defence in Chingford and attack in Enfield Southgate
    High Chipping Barnet is also close by and vulnerable! Villiers only marginally retained it.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    edited June 2017
    OllyT said:

calum said:

Of course it is, it is designed to let everyone know that the Tories are going to be running the country propped up by a bunch of bigots with dubious paramilitary connections. It is working
    Which is of course right up Guido's street. No wonder he is defensive.
  • Options
    619 said:

macisback said:

Boundary changes for the next election, will they not totally change the seat to seat dynamics.

They don't really need to now, the system is reasonably fair actually now.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

Allies of former SNP leader Alex Salmond also questioned Sturgeon’s election tactics, arguing that she offered no “cohesive” strategy or persuasive reasons to vote for the party.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15340704.Kenny_MacAskill__Nicola_Sturgeon___s_husband_should_be_dumped_as_SNP_chief_executive/

Wasn't this a more successful General Election for the SNP than any of the ones when Salmond ran the show? His best ever effort was 6 MPs, I think...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Perhaps he could tell the Greeks how well Germany has helped them to stay prosperous in the EU?
  • Options
    MagoshMagosh Posts: 8
    619 said:

macisback said:

Really? Why'd you think that? Surely they'd be able to get the DUP onside for that? Or does it affect NI in such a way they won't support it or...?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

calum said:

Explain to me Olly what the current connections between the DUP and paramilitaries are.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Danny565 said:

Has anyone totted up the regional vote totals yet?

No-one? :(
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Ali Campbell is another anti-democrat. Doesn't surprise me he wants to ignore 17m people.

Why isn't he in prison anyway?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:
    One thing that would bring the country together, imprison Campbell.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Magosh said:

619 said:

macisback said:

Really? Why'd you think that? Surely they'd be able to get the DUP onside for that? Or does it affect NI in such a way they won't support it or...?
    The latter.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

Disappointed he didn't lose his seat, this would be the next best thing...

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/873872446431965184

The first frother on Any Answers yesterday suggested him! It's a view, I suppose...
    Well it is one way of ensuring a major party surpasses 50% at the next GE.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    jonny83 said:
    Loony lefties hate competitive sport where there are winners and losers, so they are celebrating this defeat as though it were a victory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

calum said:
    The same Sinn Fein MPs who would have taken their seats to vote for Corbyn if he needed their support to form a minority government?
    They still might yet. ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Voters who went from Tory to Labour did so principally because of austerity and the fact they wanted more funds for the NHS and public services, not because the Tories were insufficiently laissez-faire. The remainder did so because they were hardcore Remainers, again not because of insufficiently rightwing economics. The so called 'dementia tax' was also a factor but the fact the government was no longer going to fund most of your personal social care was also a desire for more government intervention not less
    Spot on. The Overton window has moved.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Danny565 said:

Wasn't this a more successful General Election for the SNP than any of the ones when Salmond ran the show? His best ever effort was 6 MPs, I think...

Depends on your definition of success.

In those elections, Alex Salmond maintained his taxpayer funded lifestyle...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    OllyT said:

calum said:

https://twitter.com/FelicityMorse/status/873881139307479040
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You saw my policy brief earlier, demolish the buy-to-let sector and introduce government backed mortgages for first time buyers, plus government commissioned starter homes for sale to first time buyers with income under £40k (£60k in London).
    Demolishing BTL would be good IMO though it would immediately annoy another lot of Conservatives and middle class oldies.

But there's no way you're going to be able to build enough houses in London to win back Ealing and Enfield. Not to mention government backed mortgages would boost house prices exacerbating the situation.

And that still doesn't deal with the tuition fees problem.

I'm afraid you'll have to accept it that the urban middle classes are not going to return to voting Conservative with the possible exception of in the aftermath of a Corbyn government.

Britain is going to have the same voting patterns as the USA.

And as we are unwilling to only consume as much wealth as we create the country is going to become ever more divided.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Y0kel said:

OllyT said:

calum said:

Explain to me Olly what the current connections between the DUP and paramilitaries are.
    Google it, won't take you long
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Ali Campbell is another anti-democrat. Doesn't surprise me he wants to ignore 17m people.

Why isn't he in prison anyway?
    Failed state and democracy aren't alternatives unfortunately. Although the German parliamentarian exaggerates.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

She will regret cosying up to the "unionists".

Like this guy...

https://twitter.com/jamieross7/status/873876129312120832
    Unlike her he has been successful, long distinguished career as MP, MSP, FM of Scotland. She will never reach level of being able to lick his boots.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Mr. Eagles, is it about the urbanisation process of the medieval and Renaissance periods? The burhs of Alfred the Great? The oppido of the Romans?

The afternoon thread is a must read for anyone who bet on the election.
    Is there a minimum ROI you needed to make? I may have mentioned it but I was only at a mere 50%
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Y0kel said:

OllyT said:

calum said:

Google it, won't take you long
    Olly, you don't know. I live in Northern Ireland and know exactly how it goes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    Pong said:

May gambled on what she thought was a once-in-a-generation chance to reshape conservatism - and it failed.

Interestingly though, it failed in a really middling, mediocre way.

Kinda like going to vegas, playing one roulette number on 650 wheels simultaneously - and only coming out slightly down. Not really the expected result.

The next election will almost certainly see the blues back to playing red/black on 50 or so - of the 650 roulette wheels.
    That is the expected result of playing the same number on 650 tables. You'd expect to win on 15-20 tables, for a return 540 to 720. I can run the exact models if you like, but by far your most likely outcome would be to lose about 5% of your money.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    Pulpstar said:

Tim's speech today was excellent. I think he is striking the right note to take the party forward now, and I think he is safe from a leader challenge for the moment. If an election was held today St Ives, Cheltenham, North Devon would all be liberal again.
    The Liberal's would be fools to keep him. A proper Liberal in charge now would do wonders for the party and on a wider level give the British Public a wider choice. At present we have the Conservatives beholden to big business and Labour to questionable Union leaders, not a great offer. The Lib/Dems are better more Lib than Dem, from the front. We have enough state control voices.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    Pulpstar said:

So would Richmond Park. It would only take 1% of the 5,773 Labour voters.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There is without Bath. I expect Kensington and Mansfield will swap back next parliament but city-rural polarisation will continue.
    You'll like the afternoon thread.
    Please tell the hard right that trying to get socially conservative voters in shitholes like Leeds East has been an absolute disaster and we need to be on the side of the people who are "citizens of the world".
    The Conservatives are facked among the urban middle classes as long as they support tuition fees and Labour promises to end them.

The Conservatives are facked among the urban middle classes as long as home ownership continues to fall.

Telling voters in Mansfield and Stoke that they're thick provincial plebs wont get the urban middle classes back but it will lose dozens of Conservatives seats elsewhere.
    fack mansfield and stoke. We need Kensington, and High peak and derby north and Keighley not Stoke Central.
    And you're not going to win the urban middle classes until you come up with proposals for tuition fees and home ownership.

Telling Mansfield and Stoke to go fack will lose Mansfield and Stoke and others and put Corbyn in government.

Now think of something to do about tuition fees and home ownership.
    I'm talking about the suburban middle class not the urban one, that is where the tories need to re-gain. Keighley not targetting Bradford South(ffs can't belive they targetted this), it is doable with more house building and home ownership to win Keighley.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Mr. Eagles, is it about the urbanisation process of the medieval and Renaissance periods? The burhs of Alfred the Great? The oppido of the Romans?

The afternoon thread is a must read for anyone who bet on the election.
    Is there a minimum ROI you needed to make? I may have mentioned it but I was only at a mere 50%
    300%, a quadrupling !

I know nobody will believe me but betting on Labour in Wales, London and other urban areas and on the Conservatives in Scotland while going unders on the initial Conservatives and LibDem totals all came good.

Wirral South 7/1 Lab will also be fondly remembered.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Y0kel said:

OllyT said:

calum said:

You've just spent the last 7 weeks wanking on about who Corbyn met 30 years ago.

Sauce, goose, gander.

DUP == Loyalist Gun Runners
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Spot on. The Overton window has moved.
    People don't want more unrestrained capitalism when the result is stagnating wages for them and fortunes for Fred Goodwin and Philip Green.
  • Options
    John McDonnell is 29/70 on Betfair for next Labour leader. I certainly am not laying at 29 here, let alone 70.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Yet another example of idiotic May is. You'd think she'd be the one to tell Trump not to come, not the other way round. Instead, she was apparently 'surprised' by this, which underlines how she must be one of the most politically tone deaf PMs we've ever had.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356
    isam said:

jonny83 said:
    Loony lefties hate competitive sport where there are winners and losers, so they are celebrating this defeat as though it were a victory
    Len McCluskey may be jumping the gun - and he'd be doing Labour a favour if he shut up for a while - but the election is a huge 'win' for Labour. Having been utterly down and out, divided, on the verge of breaking up, it's now one strong campaign away from government, with most of the political indicators tilting things in its favour. The Tories now have to govern having slaughtered half of the team who earned them their only proper election win in 25 years and trashed their reputation for steady management, therefore destroying their most potent political weapon against Labour. On top of that they now have a deficit they've failed to fix and an electorate that's beginning to get very impatient with their approach to doing so. That's before they enter the most complex negotiations any British government has undertaken in the best part of a century and which there is almost no chance of pleasing even the supporters of the decision even if it's vaguely successful. Oh, and they have to do so while being propped up by a regional party who leave most Brits appalled - either at their beliefs, or at the idea that a party not even able to say they try and represent the views of those who live in the country they stand in could hold sway over Britain.

It's a bit like a basketball team being 3-0 down in the NBA finals with its best players injured and coming back to 3-3 with their opponents having their best players banned for the decider after brawling among themselves. It's the most spectacular self own in political history and therefore a victory for Labour as the party just moved to within inches of government having been a long-haul flight away.

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    I am all in favour of disability rights but I read that the new MP for Sheffield Hallam suffers from cerebral palsy, can only type with one finger of his left hand and has to have frequent periods of rest and sleep. Can he really do the job of a 21st century MP?
This discussion has been closed.