Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first of the final polls from the most accurate online fir

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

It has been a terrible campaign... But in the end winning is all that counts... And Theresa is increasingly looking like a winner - So ultimately who care what the campaign was like?

The 1987 Con campaign was terrible as well but people only remember the Thatcher landslide victory,,,

She was gone three years later. That will be May's fate, I'd have thought. The Tory challenge is to find a Major. The cupboard looks pretty bare right now.

Amber Rudd.

A steady medium pacer. Would beat Corbyn. But who wouldn't?

The assumption seems to be Labour would have someone good? Who?! They will have far fewer MP's and none of the current mob are good enough to beat Corbyn or Ed Miliband

You don't need someone good to beat May, you need someone who is as credible as she is on defence and security.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Pauly said:

Find any Europhile Tory Minister and they'd tell you that independent of the state of play. Out of context this tells us nothing. Assuming the anonymous quote is even real.
    Stop being an idiot, Sam Coates is a top journalist.

Even Tory Leavers on here have been criticising the campaign.
    So how come May will have more MPs than Cameron and Osborne

do tell
    They never were up against Jeremy Corbyn.

If you're happy, I'll bet you that Mrs May doesn't beat the 108 seat increase Cameron achieved at his first general election as leader?
    Chortle - Cameron was up against Brown and a shagged out Labour govt and still couldnt win

He couldnt whack EIC either

You dont think it might have been becasue he pissed off so many of his own supporters that they stopped voting blue ?

May's majority is what Cameron should have got in 2015

Brown had Scotland.

England and Wales are returning to two party politics after a 25 year break. Cameron would have benefited from that just as much as May.

he didnt the last time, he scraped through in 2015

Ed Miliband, the second worst leader Labour has ever had, is a country mile ahead of Corbyn.

so how come Jezza is getting better polling than Ed ?

even the pessimistic view says he'll do no worse
    He might poll better than Ed but he's still incompetent.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited June 2017

Ashcroft model has Con 47, LD 26/27 in Oxford West & Abingdon. Nope.

Why do you think otherwise?
    Methodologically, I think Ashcroft has underestimated hardcore Remain areas like Oxford and Cambridge. On the ground, the Lib Dems are still pouring activists into it, and if their internal polling were showing 47/27 they would have diverted resources to defending other seats by now. Finally, Lib Dems actually took seats off the Conservatives here in the locals - a very rare occurrence in the shires.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Toms, we shall never forget Obama Beach :D
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Pauly said:

Find any Europhile Tory Minister and they'd tell you that independent of the state of play. Out of context this tells us nothing. Assuming the anonymous quote is even real.

do tell

If you're happy, I'll bet you that Mrs May doesn't beat the 108 seat increase Cameron achieved at his first general election as leader?
    Chortle - Cameron was up against Brown and a shagged out Labour govt and still couldnt win

You dont think it might have been becasue he pissed off so many of his own supporters that they stopped voting blue ?

Brown had Scotland.

England and Wales are returning to two party politics after a 25 year break. Cameron would have benefited from that just as much as May.

Ed Miliband, the second worst leader Labour has ever had, is a country mile ahead of Corbyn.

He might poll better than Ed but he's still incompetent.
    possibly but hes a better campaigner
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

1979: Conservative gain 62 seats from 277
    1983: +38
    1987: -21
    1992: -40
    1997: -178
    2001: +1
    2005: +33
    2010: +97 (from 210)
    2015: +24

Cameron's victories in 2010 and 2015 were bigger than Thatcher's in 1979 and 1983, albeit from a lower base.

Conservatives should be thanking Cameron, not deriding him. The 2010 result was brilliant, and only occurred because he continued the task Howard started of turning the party around.

I doubt any of the other Conservative front benchers - and yes, including Davis - could have done it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    AndyJS said:

You can get 6/1 on the Tories winning a majority of between 100 and 124 on Betfair:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.131146542

Worth a few bob perhaps. Thanks.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

That remark by Tim Farron yesterday - he'll have been getting the postal goodies sure as eggs is eggs.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphNews/status/872028830910660608

LibDem internal polling must look rather horrible then?
    I've heard its good in SW London and the far north of Scotland, the rest I haven't heard a scooby about.
    Far north of Scotland = Orkney & Shetland.

It damn well ought to look good in O&S.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

Cameron's victories in 2010 and 2015 were bigger than Thatcher's in 1979 and 1983, albeit from a lower base.

Conservatives should be thanking Cameron, not deriding him. The 2010 result was brilliant, and only occurred because he continued the task Howard started of turning the party around.

I doubt any of the other Conservative front benchers - and yes, including Davis - could have done it.
    Yep, +97 was an amazing achievement!
  • Options

Methodologically, I think Ashcroft has underestimated hardcore Remain areas like Oxford and Cambridge. On the ground, the Lib Dems are still pouring activists into it, and if their internal polling were showing 47/27 they would have diverted resources to defending other seats by now. Finally, Lib Dems actually took seats off the Conservatives here in the locals - a very rare occurrence in the shires.
    Fair enough. I was just interested to know. Do you think the Lib Dems will win Oxford West & Abingdon?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Possibly even worse than 2001

Chatting to a friend this afternoon-he is well connected locally and nationally. Never seen him so utterly underwhelmed about a campaign before-really scathing of Timothy and Hill in particular.
    I don't think Crosby comes out of it looking good, either. The narrative is beardie Timothy got past him and dripped poison in Tessa's ear, but that is so often part of the narrative that it should be something he foresees and forestalls, e.g. by making it a condition of his contract that he gets to sign off the manifesto. And briefing against your employer isn't in any circumstances good.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited June 2017

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

It has been a terrible campaign... But in the end winning is all that counts... And Theresa is increasingly looking like a winner - So ultimately who care what the campaign was like?

The 1987 Con campaign was terrible as well but people only remember the Thatcher landslide victory,,,

She was gone three years later. That will be May's fate, I'd have thought. The Tory challenge is to find a Major. The cupboard looks pretty bare right now.

Amber Rudd.

The assumption seems to be Labour would have someone good? Who?! They will have far fewer MP's and none of the current mob are good enough to beat Corbyn or Ed Miliband

You don't need someone good to beat May, you need someone who is as credible as she is on defence and security.

Labour have the problem that anyone who fits that bill isn't wacky enough for the current membership to elect as leader

Did you watch that Tony Benn interview? His leadership bid was based on a platform amazingly similar to what Corbyn is trying
  • Options
    Ashcroft predicting 2017-230 for Lab, a very good result for them in the circumstances.

Like me, his model does not seem confident for Caroline Lucas.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

June 9th - Amber Rudd COE

And that is her successor
    Yes. Probably.

Three women leaders to Labour's and the LibDems' none, and not an all-women shortlist in sight. Makes you think...or it should.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

That remark by Tim Farron yesterday - he'll have been getting the postal goodies sure as eggs is eggs.

I've heard its good in SW London and the far north of Scotland, the rest I haven't heard a scooby about.
    Far north of Scotland = Orkney & Shetland.

It damn well ought to look good in O&S.
    Fife NE . Not seen any O&S info
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Even if there internal polling was distinctly underwhelming, where else are the LibDems going to send those activists they are "pouring" into OW&A? South-west London? The southern Midlands isn't exactly a target-rich environment for them.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

There is a weird strand that seems to think he was utterly useless, but I just don't see how that is credible - even if what he faced was terrible, you have to be able to take advantage (as TMay may or may not be able to do re Corbyn - although should still make progress)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

She has no intention of fighting 2022 anyway.

Labour have a really good chance of winning on a "time for a change" ticket in 2022 - As long as they got for a sensible leader.
    Labour have the problem that absolutely irrespective of the scale of defeat on Thursday (if defeat it is) Corbyn personally has had a stupendously good campaign and looks set to stay in post, at the very minimum, until party conference this autumn, at which he can swing the reduction of plp support required for leadership nominations from 15% to 5%. 2022 then becomes a replay of tory drone vs lefty nutter. How does it play in 2022? Long Bailey or whoever won't have the baggage of IRA history Corbyn does, but will have his main problem of differentially non-turning-out support from the yoof.

2022 could easily be depressingly like 2017, in short.

Corbyn does not control the Labour party machinery and this campaign will not change that. Those who do - the activists that canvass and attend CLP meetings, and the unions - will know what cost them this election. The key will be how the unions respond to that. I'd expect all but Unite to want Corbyn to stand down.

However, given this election result will not be close and there is not much Labour can usefully do once it is known, there is no need to hurry Corbyn's departure. It is clear that in Brexit Britain an anti-austerity message can get a hearing, but the person delivering it has to be someone without the baggage the Corbyn and his mates bring. There is room for compromise on how to move forward from here for Labour. We'll see what happens. But one thing is certain: the party's existential crisis is no longer an issue. We have returned to two party politics in England and wales, and Labour is the second party.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SkyIanKingLive: And Matthew Shaddick head of Ladbrokes political betting @LadPolitics will tell us about the latest odds ahead of Thursday's poll
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

how could the victories be bigger when he had fewer MPs ?

learn to count JJ
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Labour have the problem that absolutely irrespective of the scale of defeat on Thursday (if defeat it is) Corbyn personally has had a stupendously good campaign and looks set to stay in post

I was bemused in 1987 at the way Labour applauded itself for its fabulous campaign having cataclysmically lost. They duly left Kinnock in charge and sure enough he fought the next election the same way and he lost that one as well.

Inputs versus outputs.

Nobody who went into a campaign with 20-point poll leads held onto them. Blair managed a 13-point win in 1997 but nobody said he'd blown it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kle4 said:

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

There is a weird strand that seems to think he was utterly useless, but I just don't see how that is credible - even if what he faced was terrible, you have to be able to take advantage (as TMay may or may not be able to do re Corbyn - although should still make progress)
    Cameron was a) extremely good at General Elections b) extremely poor at the EU Referendum. Book-ends of his achievements.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

She has no intention of fighting 2022 anyway.

Labour have a really good chance of winning on a "time for a change" ticket in 2022 - As long as they got for a sensible leader.
    Labour have the problem that absolutely irrespective of the scale of defeat on Thursday (if defeat it is) Corbyn personally has had a stupendously good campaign and looks set to stay in post, at the very minimum, until party conference this autumn, at which he can swing the reduction of plp support required for leadership nominations from 15% to 5%. 2022 then becomes a replay of tory drone vs lefty nutter. How does it play in 2022? Long Bailey or whoever won't have the baggage of IRA history Corbyn does, but will have his main problem of differentially non-turning-out support from the yoof.

2022 could easily be depressingly like 2017, in short.

But one thing is certain: the party's existential crisis is no longer an issue. We have returned to two party politics in England and wales, and Labour is the second party.

Things can change very quickly! Nothing is certain!
  • Options

twitter.com/mjrobbins/status/872129458228142080

Oh dear!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

Mr. Midwinter, agree on Davidson. Looks like the best potential leader the Conservatives have.

There was an interesting piece in the Sunday Times with her; I got the impression she wants to remain in Scotland.
    It makes sense - Westminster should not be seen as the 'proper' destination for an ambitious politician in Scotland, with Holyrood a mere sideshow.

I can envisage it happening, but the scenario to allow it seems pretty unlikely.

Possibly even worse than 2001

Chatting to a friend this afternoon-he is well connected locally and nationally. Never seen him so utterly underwhelmed about a campaign before-really scathing of Timothy and Hill in particular.
    Since we're sharing, had an elected Tory tell me the other day the national lot 'don't know what the f*** they are doing'. Of course, he may be a bedwetter Tory.
    GIN1138 said:
    Sounds very plausible. The landslide predictions are a long way gone from most pundits at least.
    Mr Jack (with or without his ARSE) still predicting a landslide though?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

No -- Labour should have attacked the Tories on defence and security: army cuts and police cuts. Corbyn did slip in the 20,000 fewer police line into one of the debates but it should have been a major theme from day one. Get the debate off hypothetical nuclear wars and back to planet Earth where the Tories are vulnerable.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

Labour going into a general election with Jeremy Corbyn as leader is like the Tories going into one with John Redwood or Iain Duncan Smith at the helm. That's a non-partisan way of looking at the situation I think.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

Labour have the problem that anyone who fits that bill isn't wacky enough for the current membership to elect as leader

Did you watch that Tony Benn interview? His leadership bid was based on a platform amazingly similar to what Corbyn is trying

Yep, Corbyn is firmly stuck in the late 70s/early 80s.

We will see what choices the Labour electorate get when it comes time to choose a new leader. What is noticeable is that Corbyn has felt the need to pretend he has changed his mind on all the security-related issues he had spent 40 years decrying. What interests the Labour membership most is the redistributive economics that Corbyn talks about, not his views on policing and anti-terrorism.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    'Shared paternity' is an interesting concept.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

From that I'd deduce it's ok in Scotland and SW London and dire elsewhere...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That Opinium survey still looks quite optimistic for Labour, and at least a point or two too low for the Tories. And if my theories about the implications of a return to two-party politics south of the Tweed are anywhere near accurate, the difference in terms of seat count between a 7% and a 9% lead could be very significant.

At this stage, I remain more convinced by the non-polling data suggesting a good night for the Tories. I just don't see, beyond (perhaps) Brighton Kemptown and one or two seats in London, where Labour is meant to make any gains from the Conservatives; the Conservatives, on the other hand, have a great many opportunities available.

Labour's second-best prospect from the Tories in London is Hendon with a 7.5% majority.
    Too Jewish. Con hold.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited June 2017
    Genuine question - do the attacks help May or Corbyn
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

Yes. Probably.

Three women leaders to Labour's and the LibDems' none, and not an all-women shortlist in sight. Makes you think...or it should.
    May has not impressed.

Perhaps PB Tories should consider ability over genitalia when selecting leaders.
  • Options
    Ashcroft's model really doesn't think the LDs will, after all, manage to cluster their vote effectively in Scotland. Not even close in Edinburgh West. Likely to lose Orkney, Fife not a chance, ditto Dunbartonshire East.

Also Clegg is without a hope in this model. 81% chance Labour gain. Labour 97% to win Bermondsey.

It has them winning Ceredigion (just), Westmorland and I don't know where else.
  • Options

Neither. Thrre is very little to suggest they shift votes either way.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

learn to count JJ
    Starting from a lower baseline, obviously. The increase in seats speak for themselves.

And I can count very well, thanks.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

The return to a two-party system.

That said, one important lesson that Corbyn has taught the entire Labour party is not to be timid in talking about redistributive policies. Don't worry about what the Tory press will say, because it will always attack. EdM - as well as the opponents that Corbyn faced in 2015 - were far too cautious because they feared giving hostages to fortune. Corbyn has show that does not need to be a problem. But in the end he just has too much baggage. You can't say and do the things he has done over a 40 year period and hope to become PM.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    isam said:
    As I pointed out this morning, the spread betting markets followed the polls and predicted a Hung Parliament last time. The Tories promptly secured a small majority and defeated Labour by a margin of over 100 seats.

Under the present circumstances, Labour could make it past 35% - but 40% is well beyond them.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    marke09 said:

Well Lord Ashcroft final estimate gives Lib Dems 39% chance of winning Ceredigion-
    28% Lib Dems
    22% Plaid
    22% Consrvatives
    22% Labour

and lord ashcroft estimate for Carmarthen East & dinefwr
    31% Cons
    31% Lab
    30% Plaid

whill still have 16/1 on labour.....i reckon its between plaid & labour myself
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

learn to count JJ
    Starting from a lower baseline, obviously. The increase in seats speak for themselves.

Shouldn't the par score be % of available seats won? That probably favours Cameron as he had more traditionally Tory friendly seats in sight, but forgetting that, 75 gains for May would equal his 2010 performance
  • Options

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

No -- Labour should have attacked the Tories on defence and security: army cuts and police cuts. Corbyn did slip in the 20,000 fewer police line into one of the debates but it should have been a major theme from day one. Get the debate off hypothetical nuclear wars and back to planet Earth where the Tories are vulnerable.

With Corbyn in charge, Labour could not attack on those issues. No-one seriously believes that Corbyn would be more effective than May on national security issues.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

Yes. Probably.

May has not impressed.

Perhaps PB Tories should consider ability over genitalia when selecting leaders.
    Isn't that the whole point of all-women shortlists?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

learn to count JJ
    I always find the sort of logic fail that JJ is demonstrating to be particularly annoying. It is neigh on impossible to get through to them why it is a failure even though it should be blindingly obvious. The 24 seats Cameron won in 2015 are miles more impressive than the 97 he won in 2010. The 38 that Maggie won in 1983 are outstanding.
  • Options

isam said:
    As I pointed out this morning, the spread betting markets followed the polls and predicted a Hung Parliament last time. The Tories promptly secured a small majority and defeated Labour by a margin of over 100 seats.

Under the present circumstances, Labour could make it past 35% - but 40% is well beyond them.
    I believe you, but most thought they wouldn't get to 35% even in the polls!
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

learn to count JJ

yes - he started from alower baseline so ramping the movement doesnt tell us much, the end result does and in 2010 he was short

Indeed if this campaign reminds me of anything irs 2010. Tories with high hopesagisnt a weak and wounded Labour party watching a large lead slip away. The dynamics of campaign 2010 arent that much different to this one.
  • Options

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

With Corbyn in charge, Labour could not attack on those issues. No-one seriously believes that Corbyn would be more effective than May on national security issues.

Exactly. The kind of people that the Saturday's terrorists flew ISIS flags in Regents Park with were probably at the events Corbyn spoke at.

They would have plenty of mutual facebook friends/linkedin connections.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    If this place is filled with PBTories, then UKPR comments' section is basically a left-wing echo chamber.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?
    lol why would I accept a rigged bet ?

I will bet you that she gets more MPs than Cameron in 2015 - similar circumstances
    If you think Corbyn is similar to Ed Miliband then I'm shocked to learn you're a stoner.
    so thats a no then
    'May's rubbish"

"She'll get more MPs than Cameron"

"But! But! But! Reasons......."
    could it be sulky Cameroons ?
    Similarly with Corbynites:

"Jeremy's had a brilliant campaign"

"So he'll own the result?"

"But! But! But! Reasons......
  • Options
    Sigh!

Hard to vet properly when bounced into an early election. This is true for all parties.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    RobD said:

The 20,000 fewer police issue is going to really hurt the Conservatives in the last couple of days of this campaign . They will poll lower than the 43% in this poll and deserve to.

Even when the independent reviewer of terrorism legislation said that the 20k figure was focussing on the wrong issue when it comes to helping prevent terrorism?
    The detail will he lost. The average voter sadly has the attention span of a goldfish
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

Yes. Probably.

May has not impressed.

Hmmh... Farron vs Lamb...

• Options

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

Yes. Probably.

May has not impressed.

spoken like LibDem
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

You'd be surprised, quite a few Corbyn supporters have been arguing so on here recently.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

Yes. Probably.

May has not impressed.

To be fair TM only became leader because she was the last person standing after Gove and Boris destroyed each other...
  • Options
    llef said:

marke09 said:

Well Lord Ashcroft final estimate gives Lib Dems 39% chance of winning Ceredigion-
    28% Lib Dems
    22% Plaid
    22% Consrvatives
    22% Labour

31% Cons
    31% Lab
    30% Plaid

My understanding is that Carmarthen East & Dinefwr is likely to hold - deep into the Welsh Language Belt and rural, it's not natural Labour territory. A quick look at the history of the seat reveals that Labour took it in the first Blair landslide, but lost in 2001 and it's been held reasonably comfortably by Plaid ever since.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Conservatives beat Labour into third place, but you wouldn't have thought they had enough in the tank in that part of the world to catch Plaid, either.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Nick Clegg's train hit by falling tree as he heads to Sheffield on the campaign trail
  • Options

RobD said:

The 20,000 fewer police issue is going to really hurt the Conservatives in the last couple of days of this campaign . They will poll lower than the 43% in this poll and deserve to.

Even when the independent reviewer of terrorism legislation said that the 20k figure was focussing on the wrong issue when it comes to helping prevent terrorism?
    The detail will he lost. The average voter sadly has the attention span of a goldfish
    The real kicker would be if we did put more money into the police at the detriment of the security services.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942

Fair enough. I was just interested to know. Do you think the Lib Dems will win Oxford West & Abingdon?
    Not the OP, but we’ve been receiving an average of two pieces of LibDem election literature per day for the last week here in OxWaAb. It’s getting a bit wearing to be honest!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

They could believe Labour would not have hacked the army to bits or cut 20,000 coppers. Look, I'm no Corbynite and in fact I'm going against the prevailing view that Corbyn has had a good war. Sure, it's not been the catastrophe many expected but let's not be fooled because Ukip, the LibDems and even the Prime Minister herself have gone AWOL.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Ishmael_Z said:

Labour have the problem that absolutely irrespective of the scale of defeat on Thursday (if defeat it is) Corbyn personally has had a stupendously good campaign and looks set to stay in post

I was bemused in 1987 at the way Labour applauded itself for its fabulous campaign having cataclysmically lost. They duly left Kinnock in charge and sure enough he fought the next election the same way and he lost that one as well.

Inputs versus outputs.

Nobody who went into a campaign with 20-point poll leads held onto them. Blair managed a 13-point win in 1997 but nobody said he'd blown it.
    But it's expected that there will be swingback to the government, not to the opposition. That's what's terrible here.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Not the OP, but we’ve been receiving an average of two pieces of LibDem election literature per day for the last week here in OxWaAb. It’s getting a bit wearing to be honest!
    Welcome to PB, Phil. I hope you are doing your bit for the environment. :smiley:
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

Exactly. The kind of people that the Saturday's terrorists flew ISIS flags in Regents Park with were probably at the events Corbyn spoke at.

But equally May did nothing about in 6 years at the Home Office.

Incidentally, bloody Romanians coming here and attacking our jihadi's:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40149836
  • Options
    Labour Party members will have breathed a sigh of relief today when Diane Abbott announced she was pulling out of a planned appearance on BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour. This follows her latest excruciating TV appearance – and there have been many – yesterday. During a discussion with Sky News presenter Dermot Murnaghan on a key counter-terrorism review from last year, Abbott claimed to have read it but was unable to comment on any specifics. When prompted by Murnaghan to talk about putting up security barriers, Abbott merely looked bewildered before saying, ‘Yes, we are now putting up barriers on, erm, bridges…’.

Abbott has been a tour de force in this General Election, clocking up by far the most car-crash interviews. In an interview last week on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show, she compared changing her political views on the IRA to changing her hairstyle. Reports later emerged suggesting Abbott had ‘gone rogue’ and directly defied Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and shadow chancellor John McDonnell by going on the show.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/why-everyone-hates-diane-abbott/19928
  • Options

That said, one important lesson that Corbyn has taught the entire Labour party is not to be timid in talking about redistributive policies.

Even if it loses the election?
  • Options

Neither. Thrre is very little to suggest they shift votes either way.
    Which is a very good thing in itself.
  • Options
    I thought Jeremy was a different kind of politician, one who didn't play politics with such serious matters.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Beware the dead Russian!
  • Options
    @LOS_Fisher: Jeremy Corbyn has just refused to confirm he would make Diane Abbott home secretary if he wins the election this week.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

But equally May did nothing about in 6 years at the Home Office.

Incidentally, bloody Romanians coming here and attacking our jihadi's:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40149836
    No modern politician can be expected to deal with the civil strife that 50 years of multiculturalism has encouraged. It is probably impossible

Spoke good English that Romanian didn't he?! Foreigners attacking foreigners, all so unecessary
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LOS_Fisher: Jeremy Corbyn has just refused to confirm he would make Diane Abbott home secretary if he wins the election this week.

He's becoming less foolish all the time.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298

llef said:

marke09 said:

28% Lib Dems
    22% Plaid
    22% Consrvatives
    22% Labour

31% Cons
    31% Lab
    30% Plaid

My understanding is that Carmarthen East & Dinefwr is likely to hold - deep into the Welsh Language Belt and rural, it's not natural Labour territory. A quick look at the history of the seat reveals that Labour took it in the first Blair landslide, but lost in 2001 and it's been held reasonably comfortably by Plaid ever since.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Conservatives beat Labour into third place, but you wouldn't have thought they had enough in the tank in that part of the world to catch Plaid, either.
    I agree. Very few Plaid->Tory switchers, so if Plaid lose, then they lose to Labour.
    But if Plaid hold on to most of their votes, then the Tories will probably come 2nd.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

Phil said:

Welcome to PB, Phil. I hope you are doing your bit for the environment. :smiley:
    (Long time reader, first time poster & all that.)

Thanks - The recycling bin is overflowing!

I can tell you that my Labour friends appear to be all planning to vote LibDem & there are quite a few "X voter giving my vote to the LibDems" (where X is Green or Labour) up outside various local houses. No idea whether there’s enough tactical voting on the ground to push the Libs over the top, but it seems to be more of a thing here than it was in 2015.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

That Opinium survey still looks quite optimistic for Labour, and at least a point or two too low for the Tories. And if my theories about the implications of a return to two-party politics south of the Tweed are anywhere near accurate, the difference in terms of seat count between a 7% and a 9% lead could be very significant.

At this stage, I remain more convinced by the non-polling data suggesting a good night for the Tories. I just don't see, beyond (perhaps) Brighton Kemptown and one or two seats in London, where Labour is meant to make any gains from the Conservatives; the Conservatives, on the other hand, have a great many opportunities available.

Labour's second-best prospect from the Tories in London is Hendon with a 7.5% majority.
    Too Jewish. Con hold.
    This is the UK in 2017, and those four words are factual and credible. How appalling is that?
  • Options

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

You'd be surprised, quite a few Corbyn supporters have been arguing so on here recently.

Well, we know about them!

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited June 2017
    Phil said:

Three weeks ago I was on the M6 toll on the way to Heathrow when my crown fell out. I got an emergency dental appointment in Wheatley (excellent practice) and it was festooned with lib dem posters. Indeed I have not seen as many posters collectively since then in total
  • Options
    Funnily enough five years ago is also about the time representatives of the Police Federation lied to try and destroy a politicians career.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

Yes. Probably.

May has not impressed.

To be fair Labour and Lib Dems both elected a pair of Pr!cks so it kind of evens it out.

What i would like to see-and i think we are more likely to get is a proper contest rather than a "coronation". That said it is always harder for a Governing Party to have a meaningful leadership campaign whilst in office.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Too Jewish. Con hold.
    This is the UK in 2017, and those four words are factual and credible. How appalling is that?
    We were warned

"Powell had spent much of the 1940s in India, and had seen the communal violence which had swept the country around the date of its independence. The deep divisions between individual groups within the country had led to social discord, and eventually violence. In the year before India’s independence on August 15th, 1947, over half a million people lost their lives as a result of civil strife. It was this fear of communalism that spurred Powell into action.

Powell’s contention, based upon his experience in India, was that a failure to integrate foreign communities into the social fabric of a nation would lead to them forming their own separate social groups, and that this being the case, in times particularly of economic strife, violence would emerge as the cleavages between the interests of the local community and that of the newcomers became increasingly apparent and caused inter-ethnic friction"

http://amsterdamlawforum.org/article/view/50/65
  • Options

That said, one important lesson that Corbyn has taught the entire Labour party is not to be timid in talking about redistributive policies.

Even if it loses the election?

Labour's policies are far more popular than its leader, according to all the polls. He is a drag on the Labour vote. I am not a fan - as people on here know - but I do think he has taught a valuable lesson about having he courage of your convictions. Say what you truly believe, do not try to second guess how your words will be reported.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Nick Clegg's train hit by falling tree as he heads to Sheffield on the campaign trail

Tragic.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Pauly said:

Truly, it has been dreadful. If we win it's because Jim Messina is so good at his job and Jez is so toxic.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Tragic.
    I hope he wins - Ashcroft's model is even more bleak for him and the party than most.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Too Jewish. Con hold.
    We were warned

"Powell had spent much of the 1940s in India, and had seen the communal violence which had swept the country around the date of its independence. The deep divisions between individual groups within the country had led to social discord, and eventually violence. In the year before India’s independence on August 15th, 1947, over half a million people lost their lives as a result of civil strife. It was this fear of communalism that spurred Powell into action.

Powell’s contention, based upon his experience in India, was that a failure to integrate foreign communities into the social fabric of a nation would lead to them forming their own separate social groups, and that this being the case, in times particularly of economic strife, violence would emerge as the cleavages between the interests of the local community and that of the newcomers became increasingly apparent and caused inter-ethnic friction"

On the contrary, I don't remotely believe the Jews of Hendon have failed to integrate in UK society - my problem is that they have to make a judgment between the two main parties as to which is less anti-semitic.
  • Options
    @make_trouble: No-one forces Corbyn to hang out with racists. It's not part of his job. It's his choice. A pastime. A hobby.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Tragic.
    I hope he wins - Ashcroft's model is even more bleak for him and the party than most.
    I've back the Tories at 16-1 and Labour at 25-1. I hope he's toast.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    What memes(think that's the right word) is the average voter picking up?
    From my remote perspective

I don't want jimmy krankie running the country
    They are all incompetent in corbyns team
    Even the garden tax has gained traction
    I'm labour through and through bot I want that tw** removed so I can vote for them again

I'm young and care Corbyn can do no wrong
    It's all MSM lies
    We're going to win

The memes are important that is unfortunatley how people make their mind up you pay your money and make you're choice
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

Yes. Probably.

May has not impressed.

To be fair TM only became leader because she was the last person standing after Gove and Boris destroyed each other...
    True and May was way better than Leadsom - admittedly not saying much.
  • Options

snip

What interests the Labour membership most is the redistributive economics that Corbyn talks about, not his views on policing and anti-terrorism.

I'm afraid that you're right. The problem, however, with radical redistribution is that it won't work - and especially not in the British context.

First you go after the rich, who run away and/or hide their money abroad. Then you've no choice but to soak the middle classes, and that's when the problems really begin - because the UK can't support Scandinavian levels of welfare provision based on high personal taxation. Our chronically overpriced housing market means that the cost of living for most people with expensive mortgages or steep rents to pay is too high to make "progressive" taxation bearable. And even if you could attempt to use policy levers to engineer a house price crash, that would simply cripple the banking system and bankrupt a not-insignificant portion of the electorate.

In point of fact, things probably wouldn't turn out that well. The first thing an incoming socialist Government would do would be to tax the crap out of businesses, leading in pretty short order to a spiralling vortex of low investment, high unemployment, high taxation for those still in jobs, and substantially higher inflation, interest rates and Government debt as well.

I still think that May will get a healthy majority, but the chances of the above coming to pass after GE2022 are significant. Personally, I'm going to be trying to put away plenty of money in the next five years, and also considering how to hedge against inflation and protect at least some of it from the taxman.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Too Jewish. Con hold.
    We were warned

On the contrary, I don't remotely believe the Jews of Hendon have failed to integrate in UK society - my problem is that they have to make a judgment between the two main parties as to which is less anti-semitic.
    Are you saying Jews cannot vote on things like the NHS, the economy, education etc. ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Too Jewish. Con hold.
    We were warned

The fact they have to deal with a party that takes the side of one religion over another is the problem
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    edited June 2017

They could believe Labour would not have hacked the army to bits or cut 20,000 coppers.

I suppose in theory they could. But given that Corbyn's Shadow Home Secretary called for the closure of the Security Service and (this is especially unfortunate given your first metaphor) he and Macdonnell both supported the IRA at the time they were blowing British soldiers to bits, I suggest that such a position would strain the credulity of even a Sir Mortimer Chris.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:
    i don't know what to think about this article other than to ask would it happen if it was a tory female?

hps://twitter.com/KateMaltby/status/872143106254278656
    An unconvincing article. Says white men have been subject to ridicule before but that a 'queasy feeling persists, all the same' that it's unfair on Abbott. It makes the true point there are other weak points in the shadow cabinet and implies sinister focus on Abbott, when fact is she has had multiple terrible interviews which are also significantly worse than most other examples of poor interviews. It cries racism as a distraction - despite a figleaf that it is 'some, but not all' of those who are being racist - and it says no one is obliged to give her an easy ride, but then implicitly suggests people should give her an easy ride because they need 'to be conscious of exactly why the audience is clapping, and scrupulous about not playing to certain galleries'.
This discussion has been closed.