Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first of the final polls from the most accurate online fir

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Danny565 said:

NatCen "disproving the polls", except those figures on young people's turnout seem pretty much in line with YouGov's polls:

Take our most recent poll. After we had weighted our sample, taken account of how likely people say they are to vote, and weighted down the answers of those people who didn’t vote last time, we were left with a sample that implies turnout of 51% among people under 25 and 75% among people aged 65+; a turnout gap of 24 points between young and old

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/01/pollsters-experimental-election/

Though NatCen was under 30s and over 60s - implying turnout differential extending at same overall average magnitude through ten more years of the age range - ie 25 to 29 and 60 to 64.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    The stories after the election are going to be fun!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2017
    MikeL said:

Danny565 said:

NatCen "disproving the polls", except those figures on young people's turnout seem pretty much in line with YouGov's polls:

Take our most recent poll. After we had weighted our sample, taken account of how likely people say they are to vote, and weighted down the answers of those people who didn’t vote last time, we were left with a sample that implies turnout of 51% among people under 25 and 75% among people aged 65+; a turnout gap of 24 points between young and old

Though NatCen was under 30s and over 60s - implying turnout differential extending at same overall average magnitude through ten more years of the age range - ie 25 to 29 and 60 to 64.
    Sure, so maybe YouGov's turnout projections are slightly too optimistic for Labour, but it's not as drastically different as people here are saying, the NatCen turnout would only imply a 1 or 2% shift. The PB groupthink seems to have it that the polls are predicated on young people having 80% turnout or something, when that just isn't the case.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Find any Europhile Tory Minister and they'd tell you that independent of the state of play. Out of context this tells us nothing. Assuming the anonymous quote is even real.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    MikeL said:

Theresa May is in Cheltenham right now - at the Cheltenham Science Festival.

Pointer to Cheltenham being in play - good for LDs?

I'd have put down Bath as the easier of the two realistic Lib Dem SW targets personally.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    sarissa said:

If the Scottish sub-sample is anything like correct, the SNP post-election party will be something to behold!

Sadly the one headline we won't see on Friday (I suspect) is 'Bye Eck!'
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Have there been any celebrity endorsements, for any party, that didn't come from plonkers?

Still, I respect the one's who actually go out and pound them pavement for the party of choice at least.
    The 'plonker' who inspired Live Aid and Band Aid?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Of course all the talk of terrible campaigns etc, the Tories from where they started could have been abject and still win by 15%, it's a question of how accurate April polling was and how much actually changes in a campaign. Those that hated Corbyn aren't that likely to have started loving him and May fans aren't that likely to have lost faith in the glare of the voting booth
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

Danny565 said:

Sure, so maybe YouGov's turnout projections are slightly too optimistic for Labour, but it's not as drastically different as people here are saying, the NatCen turnout would only imply a 1 or 2% shift. The PB groupthink seems to have it that the polls are predicated on young people having 80% turnout or something, when that just isn't the case.
    Oh sure - I agree entirely - I think it's entirely possible that Con maj is on a knife-edge - which is why I've taken out substantial insurance against Con losing their majority.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Pauly said:

Find any Europhile Tory Minister and they'd tell you that independent of the state of play. Out of context this tells us nothing. Assuming the anonymous quote is even real.
    Stop being an idiot, Sam Coates is a top journalist.

Even Tory Leavers on here have been criticising the campaign.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2017
    2015 election result

Con 36.9%
    Lab 30.4%
    UKIP 12.6%
    Lib 7.9%

The latest Opinium says

Con +6.1%
    Lab +5.6%
    All taken from UKIP

Lib lose a few seats
    SNP lose a couple

Otherwise no change.

Con majority around 15

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

Danny565 said:

Thought Survation was at 80% +
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

Yes, I've been saying for a few days that the lead felt about 7 points, basically splitting the difference between the "surge what surge?" polls and the "of course we believe they'll all vote" polls. I suspect the Tories will do better the further north you go and vice versa.

But that's a guess!

It sounds plausible to me, but what scuppers it is going to be the lack of UNS, and also events in Scotland. The translation into seats is quite problematic. Neither side has what appears to be an "efficient vote" and the LDs are running 20 or so byelections.

My 76 seat Con majority prediction stands, but it could be much less. Corbynism is sweeping the nation, while May is still tying her laces.
    I did the figurework on a middle way between Miliboredom and Youth Tsunami yesterday, and came out with 43.5%/36.5% and a Tory maj of 50. But I made no special adjustment for Scotland, where the Tories should do well, if not up to some of the more optimistic forecasts. I am going to call Tory seats of 355 which pushes the maj up to 60.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited June 2017

Pauly said:

The idiotic position is believing statements without evidence. As far as reputation is concerned - past performance is not indicative of future returns.
    I'm not defending the abysmal campaign - I'm just saying this adds nothing of substance.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    That remark by Tim Farron yesterday - he'll have been getting the postal goodies sure as eggs is eggs.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphNews/status/872028830910660608
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Have there been any celebrity endorsements, for any party, that didn't come from plonkers?

Still, I respect the one's who actually go out and pound them pavement for the party of choice at least.
    The 'plonker' who inspired Live Aid and Band Aid?
    I was speaking about his personality - achievements don't stop somebody being a plonker. That's like saying because someone has a PhD they cannot still be an idiot about other things, because clearly they must be smart.

Or that because Diane Abbott has a degree in History from Cambridge that she cannot be a fool.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    So Opinum are showing the surge as stopping as well.

It's just Survation who have it as continuing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I'd have put down Bath as the easier of the two realistic Lib Dem SW targets personally.
    There's a huge amount of tactical voting in Cheltenham; I often wondered (when I lived there) whether the Labour party realised how close it could get to winning the seat if it didn't stand by while the LibDems hoovered up their votes.
  • Options
    'Yeah it's not been a good campaign but I can't vote Corbyn, I want Brexit and security and the economy to survive'
    Landslide by nosepeg
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

That remark by Tim Farron yesterday - he'll have been getting the postal goodies sure as eggs is eggs.

LibDem internal polling must look rather horrible then?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Demographically, yes, although Chelt has the former LibDem MP re-standing, whereas Bath has neither the former MP nor the candidate who was supposed to fight the snap election.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited June 2017

Pauly said:

I don't doubt it's true. Remember there are people in the cabinet who have only fought 3 general elections, and you could definitely argue this was the worst of them. However I also expect it to be the best Tory result of the 3!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Pauly said:

So how come May will have more MPs than Cameron and Osborne

do tell
  • Options
    May talking about whoever the government is
    Corbyn talking about what his secretary of state for health will do know day one.
    Corbyn knows he is done for.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell
    Different situations.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Since the last one as I recall ...that too was dire it appeared at least until the exit poll came out...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

LibDem internal polling must look rather horrible then?
    I've heard its good in SW London and the far north of Scotland, the rest I haven't heard a scooby about.
  • Options

That 5% UKIP share looks to me as if it might be a reservoir of hidden Conservative support.

With UKIP standing in 60% of seats then to get a 5% national share they would need 8% in seats where they are standing.

That does look a bit high.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Demographically, yes, although Chelt has the former LibDem MP re-standing, whereas Bath has neither the former MP nor the candidate who was supposed to fight the snap election.
    Well I'm on both ! And the Tories in the rest of the SW.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell
    They never were up against Jeremy Corbyn.

If you're happy, I'll bet you that Mrs May doesn't beat the 108 seat increase Cameron achieved at his first general election as leader?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited June 2017
    It has been a terrible campaign... But in the end winning is all that counts... And Theresa is increasingly looking like a winner - So ultimately who care what the campaign was like?

The 1987 Con campaign was terrible as well but people only remember the Thatcher landslide victory,,,
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    FFS! I don't normally do a long post here but Vanilla just ate it.

Like watching chimps do brain surgery was my comment about a Corbyn gov.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pauly said:

do tell
    Different situations.
    No helping - this is an Eagles only question
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It has been a terrible campaign... But in the end winning is all that counts... And Theresa's is increasingly looking like a winner - So ultimately who care what the campaign was like?

The 1987 Con campaign was terrible as well but people only remember the Thatchers landslide victory,,,
    I'm hoping one of her first acts is to re-jig her office and ditch a certain somebody. I also think that this election has almost guaranteed she won't fight again in 2022.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It has been a terrible campaign... But in the end winning is all that counts... And Theresa is increasingly looking like a winner - So ultimately who care what the campaign was like?

The 1987 Con campaign was terrible as well but people only remember the Thatchers landslide victory,,,
    Now, maybe. At the time we can see that Mrs T was counting the days.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

It has been a terrible campaign... But in the end winning is all that counts... And Theresa's is increasingly looking like a winner - So ultimately who care what the campaign was like?

I'm hoping one of her first acts is to re-jig her office and ditch a certain somebody. I also think that this election has almost guaranteed she won't fight again in 2022.
    Well Amber Rudd looks a very obvious choice for next leader.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

She won't fight 2022... But I think we'll all be ready for a change (Labour) then whoever is Con leader?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    GIN1138 said:

The 1987 Con campaign was terrible as well but people only remember the Thatcher landslide victory,,,

She was gone three years later. That will be May's fate, I'd have thought. The Tory challenge is to find a Major. The cupboard looks pretty bare right now.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    I wonder how many of the 70 actually live in the constituency !

" Minutes before Mrs May and the Scottish Tory leader arrived at the business, an organiser told the group of around 70 people to give them an enthusiastic welcome. Supporters cheered and waved placards as requested as the pair arrived on the Tory Battle Bus in the Edinburgh North and Leith constituency. "

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/tories-told-to-cheer-and-clap-during-theresa-may-s-visit-1-4466922
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Jeremy Corbyn.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Quite a contraction in the constituency betting markets today toward Labour.Cambridge has flip-flopped so my 4-1 on a Labour win is not looking too shabby.6 seats,Alyn and Deeside,Ealing Acton,Hove,Mansfield,Chorley and Penistone are all now showing Labour holds from Tory gains reducing Tory total to 362,assuming no Labour gains.Nearly all of the rest of the Tory gains have contracted in price eg Brentford and Isleworth has Lab at 5-4.However,Stoke South,Walsall South,Wolverhampton South West,Barrow,Wirral West and Halifax remain at odds of 3-1 or more and look out of reach.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Some pre-exit-poll entertainment for Thursday

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/872115594597998592
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Pauly said:

do tell

If you're happy, I'll bet you that Mrs May doesn't beat the 108 seat increase Cameron achieved at his first general election as leader?
    Chortle - Cameron was up against Brown and a shagged out Labour govt and still couldnt win

He couldnt whack EIC either

You dont think it might have been becasue he pissed off so many of his own supporters that they stopped voting blue ?

May's majority is what Cameron should have got in 2015

• Options
    edited June 2017

GIN1138 said:

She was gone three years later. That will be May's fate, I'd have thought. The Tory challenge is to find a Major. The cupboard looks pretty bare right now.

She has no intention of fighting 2022 anyway.

Labour have a really good chance of winning on a "time for a change" ticket in 2022 - As long as they got for a sensible leader.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2017
    Brom said:

Pauly said:

I don't doubt it's true. Remember there are people in the cabinet who have only fought 3 general elections, and you could definitely argue this was the worst of them. However I also expect it to be the best Tory result of the 3!
    2010 and 2015 were *so* much better than this one. Maybe not in content, but DC was miles ahead in campaigning compared to May. However, he wasn't exactly loved by anyone, so he had to be.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited June 2017

Pauly said:

do tell

The par score in that respect would be 75 seats. It isn't right to ask for the same amount (108) as she has a lower ceiling of possible seats.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Chortle - Cameron was up against Brown and a shagged out Labour govt and still couldnt win

You dont think it might have been becasue he pissed off so many of his own supporters that they stopped voting blue ?

So that's a no then?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

GIN1138 said:

If May wins a majority

June 9th - Amber Rudd COE

And that is her successor
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726

GIN1138 said:

Hammond? Decent cove, reasonably competent and as boring as a Communist Party Plenary Session.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?
    lol why would I accept a rigged bet ?

I will bet you that she gets more MPs than Cameron in 2015 - similar circumstances
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    FPT
    Prodicus said:

Pulpstar said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

camel said:

Rhubarb said:

kjohnw said:

Oh dear imagine this guy post exit poll.

Suicide watch or what. Why do people like him not see Tories are winning this with an increased Majority

https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/872081057058889728

He is going to be in for a very traumatic Friday
    Poor lad, I don’t envy his taxi passengers next Friday either…
    https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/872088486488276993
    Skinner really would be someone to stay up for; though if he's at risk then that puts a very odd chunk of South Yorkshire into play.
    Really don't know what to make of these stories coming out of Labour and tory hqs. Bosolver would be huge.

But it makes yougov and survation horrendously wrong. I dont know.
    I'd be surprised about Bolsover because although on Brexit grounds it ought to show potential for the Tories, Skinner was himself a Leaver. Whether he still has that much of a personal vote I don't know. You'd have thought that he should but if he's taken the place for granted and preferred to grandstand about his own personal hobby horses instead, it might have evaporated. I saw that happen with Marcus Fox pre-1997 (that wasn't so much about grandstanding as putting the 1922 and his directorships ahead of his constituents but the principle's the same).

What I will say is that the reports I've had back from our activists in Hemsworth have been very positive. They've not been terribly scientific because we don't have the base data to be (it's not been a target in living memory and so resources have in the past been pulled into Wakefield, Morley & Outwood and Dewsbury), but if Hemsworth is thought to be in play then Bolsover - which I'd assume is demographically similar - might well be too.
    If Hemsworth is in play then we're not talking swings, we're talking paradigm shifts.
    I've heard an extraordinary London rumour on the other side of this equation.
    Battersea or Putney?
    No. Far more incredible.
    Does Uxbridge count as London?

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited June 2017
    dupe of calum
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.
    Ruth Davidson...if they can get her into parliament
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?

I will bet you that she gets more MPs than Cameron in 2015 - similar circumstances
    Lol....sure are similar circumstances
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?

If you think Corbyn is similar to Ed Miliband then I'm shocked to learn you're a stoner.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

England and Wales are returning to two party politics after a 25 year break. Cameron would have benefited from that just as much as May.

• Options

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?

If you think Corbyn is similar to Ed Miliband then I'm shocked to learn you're a stoner.
    so thats a no then
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Labourites on here love to gloat that the GE was "unnecessary" or "a waste of time", etc. What they choose to overlook of course is that by winning on Thursday, it extends the Tories' term of office by a little over 2 years. Furthermore it provides a longer time frame for them to prepare to win again in 2022.

May extend the Tory Government, but will it be an extension of May's Premiership. Methinks the men in gray suits will be paying her a visit on Saturday.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Midwinter, agree on Davidson. Looks like the best potential leader the Conservatives have.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

A steady medium pacer. Would beat Corbyn. But who wouldn't?

• Options
    calum said:

The Good Lord predicting a Conservative majority of between 50 and 80 with a central forecast of 64!

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/06/ashcroft-model-update-potential-majorities-seat-seat-estimates/

• Options
    OchEye said:

Labourites on here love to gloat that the GE was "unnecessary" or "a waste of time", etc. What they choose to overlook of course is that by winning on Thursday, it extends the Tories' term of office by a little over 2 years. Furthermore it provides a longer time frame for them to prepare to win again in 2022.

May extend the Tory Government, but will it be an extension of May's Premiership. Methinks the men in gray suits will be paying her a visit on Saturday.
    Why, when she can be the Brexit lightning rod? :p
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Ashcroft model has Con 47, LD 26/27 in Oxford West & Abingdon. Nope.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

England and Wales are returning to two party politics after a 25 year break. Cameron would have benefited from that just as much as May.

he didnt the last time, he scraped through in 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    midwinter said:

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.
    Ruth Davidson...if they can get her into parliament
    She might be the leader but one... I.E. the one that takes over as LOTO after 2022 defeat.

Then again, wouldn't it be good if she stayed in Scotland and over-saw a Con revival...
  • Options
    Possibly even worse than 2001

Chatting to a friend this afternoon-he is well connected locally and nationally. Never seen him so utterly underwhelmed about a campaign before-really scathing of Timothy and Hill in particular.
  • Options

Mr. Midwinter, agree on Davidson. Looks like the best potential leader the Conservatives have.

There was an interesting piece in the Sunday Times with her; I got the impression she wants to remain in Scotland.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited June 2017

GIN1138 said:

Amber Rudd.

A steady medium pacer. Would beat Corbyn. But who wouldn't?

The assumption seems to be Labour would have someone good? Who?! They will have far fewer MP's and none of the current mob are good enough to beat Corbyn or Ed Miliband
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    Thing about the Lib Dems, in Scotland at least, is that their vote distribution is so efficient a national poll doesn't indicate the number of seats they are likely to win. They have a concentration of votes in a half dozen seats that they may or may not win and are almost non-existent elsewhere.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Observer, intriguing to consider how an IDS versus Corbyn versus Charles Kennedy election would've gone.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?

I think Corbyn has had a much better campaign than Ed did, but that's probably because expectations were much lower.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?

Hard to compare as no-one has offered bribes to certain groups of (previously non-) voters on the industrial scale Corbyn has done.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, intriguing to consider how an IDS versus Corbyn versus Charles Kennedy election would've gone.

Lib-Dem WINNING HERE? ;)
  • Options

Easy win for IDS (assuming post-Brexit vote). Kennedy would have the sense (and style) to go full-on for the 48% and split the anti-Tory vote.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Why do you think otherwise?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

She has no intention of fighting 2022 anyway.

Labour have a really good chance of winning on a "time for a change" ticket in 2022 - As long as they got for a sensible leader.
    Labour have the problem that absolutely irrespective of the scale of defeat on Thursday (if defeat it is) Corbyn personally has had a stupendously good campaign and looks set to stay in post, at the very minimum, until party conference this autumn, at which he can swing the reduction of plp support required for leadership nominations from 15% to 5%. 2022 then becomes a replay of tory drone vs lefty nutter. How does it play in 2022? Long Bailey or whoever won't have the baggage of IRA history Corbyn does, but will have his main problem of differentially non-turning-out support from the yoof.

2022 could easily be depressingly like 2017, in short.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,712

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?

so thats a no then
    'May's rubbish"

"She'll get more MPs than Cameron"

"But! But! But! Reasons......."
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

There was an interesting piece in the Sunday Times with her; I got the impression she wants to remain in Scotland.
    It makes sense - Westminster should not be seen as the 'proper' destination for an ambitious politician in Scotland, with Holyrood a mere sideshow.

I can envisage it happening, but the scenario to allow it seems pretty unlikely.

Possibly even worse than 2001

Chatting to a friend this afternoon-he is well connected locally and nationally. Never seen him so utterly underwhelmed about a campaign before-really scathing of Timothy and Hill in particular.
    Since we're sharing, had an elected Tory tell me the other day the national lot 'don't know what the f*** they are doing'. Of course, he may be a bedwetter Tory.
    GIN1138 said:
    Sounds very plausible. The landslide predictions are a long way gone from most pundits at least.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

Quite a contraction in the constituency betting markets today toward Labour.Cambridge has flip-flopped so my 4-1 on a Labour win is not looking too shabby.6 seats,Alyn and Deeside,Ealing Acton,Hove,Mansfield,Chorley and Penistone are all now showing Labour holds from Tory gains reducing Tory total to 362,assuming no Labour gains.Nearly all of the rest of the Tory gains have contracted in price eg Brentford and Isleworth has Lab at 5-4.However,Stoke South,Walsall South,Wolverhampton South West,Barrow,Wirral West and Halifax remain at odds of 3-1 or more and look out of reach.

A couple of weeks back we analysed Hampstead and Kilburn to death before concluding that the 4/1 against Labour was about right. It's now 1/2, so kudos to those that took the 4s. (I didn't.)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    You can get 6/1 on the Tories winning a majority of between 100 and 124 on Betfair:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.131146542
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    That Opinium survey still looks quite optimistic for Labour, and at least a point or two too low for the Tories. And if my theories about the implications of a return to two-party politics south of the Tweed are anywhere near accurate, the difference in terms of seat count between a 7% and a 9% lead could be very significant.

At this stage, I remain more convinced by the non-polling data suggesting a good night for the Tories. I just don't see, beyond (perhaps) Brighton Kemptown and one or two seats in London, where Labour is meant to make any gains from the Conservatives; the Conservatives, on the other hand, have a great many opportunities available.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2017
    off topic, but worth remembering:
    D-day was June 6, 1944. And the weather was similar.
    John Bull, Uncle Sam, and others.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

So that's a no then?

so thats a no then
    'May's rubbish"

"She'll get more MPs than Cameron"

"But! But! But! Reasons......."
    could it be sulky Cameroons ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not mutually exclusive of course. The polls could be right about Labour getting 36% and they could still be on course to lose lots of seats if they're piling up votes in the wrong places.
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

Ed Miliband, the second worst leader Labour has ever had, is a country mile ahead of Corbyn.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2017
    calum said:

I wonder how many of the 70 actually live in the constituency !

" Minutes before Mrs May and the Scottish Tory leader arrived at the business, an organiser told the group of around 70 people to give them an enthusiastic welcome. Supporters cheered and waved placards as requested as the pair arrived on the Tory Battle Bus in the Edinburgh North and Leith constituency. "

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/tories-told-to-cheer-and-clap-during-theresa-may-s-visit-1-4466922

Potempkin rallies.

Wherever they are, it is hard to see this sort of stage managed farce winning over local voters.
  • Options

NatCen‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @NatCen

NatCen Retweeted FT Westminster

NEW results from the NatCen Panel: 53% of under-30s say they're certain to vote, compared with 79% of the over-60s #GE2017

If thats true, Corbyn's screwed...

Even that 79% could mask normally Can't Be Arsed Tories being scared witless of Corbyn and getting off their arses in bigger numbers - and anti-Corbyn former Labour voters sitting it out...
    There's also an assumption that under-30s who actually vote are going to vote for Corbyn. We don't know if that's true - RochdalePioneers and others will inadvertently get a lot of Conservative votes out - and we also don't know where they're distributed.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I still think Tynemouth could go blue. Wouldn't bet on it though.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Don Valley 'Labour win chance 62%'.

Cambridge 'Labour win chance 88%'

Norfolk North 'Conservative win chance 90%'

Carshalton 'Conservative win chance 93%'
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Well Lord Ashcroft final estimate gives Lib Dems 39% chance of winning Ceredigion-
    28% Lib Dems
    22% Plaid
    22% Consrvatives
    22% Labour
  • Options

That Opinium survey still looks quite optimistic for Labour, and at least a point or two too low for the Tories. And if my theories about the implications of a return to two-party politics south of the Tweed are anywhere near accurate, the difference in terms of seat count between a 7% and a 9% lead could be very significant.

At this stage, I remain more convinced by the non-polling data suggesting a good night for the Tories. I just don't see, beyond (perhaps) Brighton Kemptown and one or two seats in London, where Labour is meant to make any gains from the Conservatives; the Conservatives, on the other hand, have a great many opportunities available.

Labour's second-best prospect from the Tories in London is Hendon with a 7.5% majority.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

There's an incident at Meadowhall apparently.

:(
    confirmed not related to terrorism
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Don Valley 'Labour win chance 62%'.

Cambridge 'Labour win chance 88%'

Norfolk North 'Conservative win chance 90%'

Carshalton 'Conservative win chance 93%'
    Quickly.. PB Tories rally to Don Valley!
  • Options

Pauly said:

do tell

Brown had Scotland.

Ed Miliband, the second worst leader Labour has ever had, is a country mile ahead of Corbyn.

so how come Jezza is getting better polling than Ed ?

even the pessimistic view says he'll do no worse
This discussion has been closed.