Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW Bonus PB/Polling Matters podcast: Reviewing the weekend’s

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited June 2017
    AndyJS said:

Exit poll in 99 hours' time.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Corbyn IRA attack video just passed 6m views. Sadly I haven't been monitoring rate of increase, but I think it has had a powerful boost today.

Video
    here
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Turnout at the Scottish independence referendum was a massive 84%. What was youth turnout like then? Because turnout this time probably won't be more than 70% and so it's unlikely youth turnout will be as high as it was in Scotland in 2014.

76% registered
    54% voted

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/179807/Scottish-referendum-Public-Opinion-survey-ICM-Report-WEBSITE.pdf (Page 11)
    Thanks. So if overall turnout this time is 70% it would be surprising if youth turnout is more than about 62% or so.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

In 2015, conservatives won by 6.5% equals majority of 10.

Lead on its own is not that helpful.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    edited June 2017

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

The definition of an awkward weekend - spending large chunks of it with two Corbynistas (one unexpectedly so) of the less forgiving variety who wish to discuss politics when I've just decided to vote Tory, and then discovering one of them (thankfully not both) is a 9/11 Truther as well. (both are thinking it will be a hung parliament)

Also, a landmark moment for me - I actually saw a political sign in a field that was not Tory or UKIP, but Labour!

I have a slightly awkward situation online. The editor of my thrillers - very smart, likeable, and a huge supporter of my work when it needs it - has suddenly become a raging Corbynite on Twitter. Posting the most bat-shit memes and doo-lally bollocks. So I am having to mute her tweets or avoid them, lest we have a terrible argument which ruins my career....

More importantly, tho, is the mere fact she's buying it. She is middle aged, super bright, not a wide eyed naif.

I really think it is a semi-religious thing: once people are converted to Corbynism no evidence will ever budge them, and Corbyn is converting millions. Not particularly through his policies - though they like the hopey, changey, no-tuition-fee stuff - but just by being so unexpected and different. And apparently "authentic". By being *him*.

This says to me that Labour are deluded if they think they could win on these leftwing policies with "a better leader". Corbyn IS the best leader. The best man to present this crazy shit.

So Nick Palmer had a point, when many of us - me included - derided him. The bad news for Nick is that, if they lose next week, that's it. There isn't another, better, younger, saner Corbyn ready to take over. And he's 68.
    Its definitely a cult.
    Under pressure from colleagues on Just a Minute, Kenneth Williams occasionally used to shriek in protest, 'I'm a cult! A cult, I tell you!'

Corbyn is a cult.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447

Corb's attacking May currently on police cuts .... and also trying to stop this

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/871426621202477057

Hmm... I thought TMay was the 'u-turn' monopolist.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/871429329628147717
    Imho it was over at around 9pm on Friday during QT.

Now it is really over.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Can anyone point me to a summary of the crime statistics over the past 15 years?

My recollection (which may be mistaken) is that crime has been falling year on year for some time (with certain crimes seeing different patterns)

But overall I thought that crime, on the whole, has been falling.
  • Options

Can anyone point me to a summary of the crime statistics over the past 15 years?

My recollection (which may be mistaken) is that crime has been falling year on year for some time (with certain crimes seeing different patterns)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/resource?uri=/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/2015-10-15/5738d660.png
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Its definitely a cult.

Corbynites are the mirror image of Trump supporters. There's a similar cause for this popular uprising (wages, immigration, housing etc.) and both sides are picking an absolute berk with lunatic policies to deliver the change they crave. The only difference is one is on the left and the other on the right.
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Turnout at the Scottish independence referendum was a massive 84%. What was youth turnout like then? Because turnout this time probably won't be more than 70% and so it's unlikely youth turnout will be as high as it was in Scotland in 2014.

76% registered
    54% voted

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/179807/Scottish-referendum-Public-Opinion-survey-ICM-Report-WEBSITE.pdf (Page 11)
    Thanks. So if overall turnout this time is 70% it would be surprising if youth turnout is more than about 62% or so.
    If it was 62% that would increase then labour vote by 4pts at most.
  • Options

It has, but it isn't limited to the UK. Lots of western countries have seen similar falls.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    grahambc1 said:

That interview was not Corbyn condemning all shoot to kill and Kuennsberg got a wrap over the knuckles by the BBC trust for misrepresenting him here

From what I remember wasn't it something to with Northern Ireland? I seem to remember thinking that it showed that Corbyn was totally out of touch that he misinterpreted the question which was clearly in relation to the attacks in Paris.
  • Options
    grahambc1 said:

That interview was not Corbyn condemning all shoot to kill and Kuennsberg got a wrap over the knuckles by the BBC trust for misrepresenting him here

It wasn't far off it; he says how lovely it would be if we prevented a situation where you had to make the decision, from ever arising. Completely sidesteps the q.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

76% registered
    54% voted

If it was 62% that would increase then labour vote by 4pts at most.
    I believe there has also been a swing against labour amongst the oldies.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    nunu said:

jayfdee said:

What to do? I normally stay up all night for GE, but next day I have a 20 hour journey to far flung places for my annual high altitude climbing adrenaline fix.
    Usually UNS has it sorted by 2.30am, but this year, who knows.
    I will miss the post mortem, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Can you get internet acces on your flight?

I normally don't get any sleep before an exciting journey anyway.
    I normally submit to the pleasure of a few swift Gin and tonics, definitely the wrong solution, but at least I sleep. Once I start on the trip, politics is over until I return, I want to enjoy the pleasure and pain of the activity. Also no further drinking, and at least half a stone weight loss.
  • Options

It has, but it isn't limited to the UK. Lots of western countries have seen similar falls.
    Some even attribute it to the removal of lead in petrol, which is very interesting.
  • Options
    RobD said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/resource?uri=/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/2015-10-15/5738d660.png
    Thanks - so the much derided fall in police numbers doesn't appear to have seen a massive increase in crime.

And if crime is falling, then you need fewer officers to investigate it...
  • Options
    glw said:

Its definitely a cult.

Corbynites are the mirror image of Trump supporters. There's a similar cause for this popular uprising (wages, immigration, housing etc.) and both sides are picking an absolute berk with lunatic policies to deliver the change they crave. The only difference is one is on the left and the other on the right.
    Truth.
  • Options
    glw said:

Its definitely a cult.

However, one attracted the mid-aged blue collar workers and rural dwellers, the other is attracting the young / students often living in cities.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

nunu said:

jayfdee said:

What to do? I normally stay up all night for GE, but next day I have a 20 hour journey to far flung places for my annual high altitude climbing adrenaline fix.

Can you get internet acces on your flight?

I normally don't get any sleep before an exciting journey anyway.
    I normally submit to the pleasure of a few swift Gin and tonics, definitely the wrong solution, but at least I sleep. Once I start on the trip, politics is over until I return, I want to enjoy the pleasure and pain of the activity. Also no further drinking, and at least half a stone weight loss.
    Perhaps we can arrange for the captain to announce the results as the flight progresses. :D
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Happening isn't it - that part where Corbyn has to compromise his values....
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

The definition of an awkward weekend - spending large chunks of it with two Corbynistas (one unexpectedly so) of the less forgiving variety who wish to discuss politics when I've just decided to vote Tory, and then discovering one of them (thankfully not both) is a 9/11 Truther as well. (both are thinking it will be a hung parliament)

Also, a landmark moment for me - I actually saw a political sign in a field that was not Tory or UKIP, but Labour!

I have a slightly awkward situation online. The editor of my thrillers - very smart, likeable, and a huge supporter of my work when it needs it - has suddenly become a raging Corbynite on Twitter. Posting the most bat-shit memes and doo-lally bollocks. So I am having to mute her tweets or avoid them, lest we have a terrible argument which ruins my career....

More importantly, tho, is the mere fact she's buying it. She is middle aged, super bright, not a wide eyed naif.

I really think it is a semi-religious thing: once people are converted to Corbynism no evidence will ever budge them, and Corbyn is converting millions. Not particularly through his policies - though they like the hopey, changey, no-tuition-fee stuff - but just by being so unexpected and different. And apparently "authentic". By being *him*.

This says to me that Labour are deluded if they think they could win on these leftwing policies with "a better leader". Corbyn IS the best leader. The best man to present this crazy shit.

So Nick Palmer had a point, when many of us - me included - derided him. The bad news for Nick is that, if they lose next week, that's it. There isn't another, better, younger, saner Corbyn ready to take over. And he's 68.
    Its definitely a cult.
    Under pressure from colleagues on Just a Minute, Kenneth Williams occasionally used to shriek in protest, 'I'm a cult! A cult, I tell you!'

Corbyn is a cult.

'Life of Brian' was a documentary.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    Has the graphic that shows there are fewer terrorist incidents nowadays been updated yet?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2017
    YouGov poll today said more people would be "delighted" with a Labour majority government (31%) than said they would be "delighted" with a Tory majority government (27%).

Admittedly the gap is made up by more people saying they "wouldn't mind" a Tory majority (with 3% more people saying they would be "dismayed" by a Labour majority than a Tory majority), but even so this doesn't say much for Tory enthusiasm.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

YouGov poll today said more people would be "delighted" with a Labour majority government (31%) than said they would be "delighted" with a Tory majority government (27%).

Tories are less passionate. They are the quiet and reserved types.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,371
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Generally I think one should avoid mixing friendships, family and business links with politics - there are 30 million people out there who will decide it, it doesn't matter if you agree with your girlfriend, editor or brother-in-law.

Sometimes they return the favour by overcoming their politics. My mum, a lifelong Tory, joined Chelsea Labour Party when I stood there - I'll never forget her in her ocelot jacket sitting in a seedy room above a pub where we had our branch meetings (they made her membership secretary). My largest donor in my 2005 and 2010 campign was a very old friend who always votes Tory or UKIP. In the same way, he felt it wasn't going to decide the national outcome, so why not help a mate? I expect your editor will get over your views too, just as we do (more or less :) )

Unforgiving friends of any variety are best dropped!
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    kle4 said:

From my time among a few Corbynistas, one a recent convert (and who has even voted Tory in the distant pas!) and one longstanding Labour fan, they will dismiss any of this as lies. The police cuts line has swayed them completely.

But now off to Wonder Woman.
    Surprisingly for capeshit it's enjoyable.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

YouGov is polling liars.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Some even attribute it to the removal of lead in petrol, which is very interesting.
    Contraception and more freely available abortion are other commonly attributed reasons. Of course it's almost impossible to say for certain without an alternate Earth to test this hypothesis.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

glw said:

Its definitely a cult.

Truth.
    I don't think Corbyn's appeal to UKIP voters can be underestimated. Many voted UKIP or Leave because it felt anti-establishment and insurgent. This time round it's Corbyn who fits that bill. Project Fear failed in the EU ref and, who knows, maybe it'll fail this time around too.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Robbie Williams has captured the mood on a sunny evening in Manchester.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Unleaded petrol...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615

Though there has been a notable change in types of crime. Knife crime in London is up but the homicide rate is down. This may simply be better trauma care.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Plus lots of stuff is not worth nicking any more: everyone either already has a dvd recorder or can get one from currys for £29.99, and lots of other stuff is too difficult to nick - modern cars with immobilisers - and cctv and dna testing further hamper the wannabe villain.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    Danny565 said:

Admittedly the gap is made up by more people saying they "wouldn't mind" a Tory majority (with 3% more people saying they would be "dismayed" by a Labour majority than a Tory majority), but even so this doesn't say much for Tory enthusiasm.

Is that a poll of their office?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

YouGov is polling liars.
    I am quite happy to take YouGov's money - but their methodology is deeply flawed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Plus lots of stuff is not worth nicking any more: everyone either already has a dvd recorder or can get one from currys for £29.99, and lots of other stuff is too difficult to nick - modern cars with immobilisers - and cctv and dna testing further hamper the wannabe villain.
    To be honest I am surprised that hate crime hasn't surged :p
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

glw said:

Its definitely a cult.

Truth.
    I don't think Corbyn's appeal to UKIP voters can be underestimated. Many voted UKIP or Leave because it felt anti-establishment and insurgent. This time round it's Corbyn who fits that bill. Project Fear failed in the EU ref and, who knows, maybe it'll fail this time around too.
    20% of UKIP's voters last time round going to Labour, according to YouGov today.

The critical question is which seats that UKIP->Lab migration is happening; if it's in some of those crucial Northern and Midlands seats where Labour was looking vulnerable then it's very helpful to Lab, if it's in safe Tory seats then they're useless to Labour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Happening isn't it - that part where Corbyn has to compromise his values....
    Well, for the next 72 hours anyway.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Danny565 said:

Probably true and precisely sums up Labour's problems. Their support is deep but not wide enough.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    grahambc1 said:

Kuenssberg: If you were prime minister, would you be happy to order people - police or military - to shoot to kill on Britain's streets?

Corbyn: I am not happy with a shoot to kill policy in general. I think that is quite dangerous and I think can often be counter-productive.

The above are the actual quotes.

The BBC Trust, after 4 times rejecting complaints, upheld one because in the report Kuenssberg said she had asked Corbyn, "if he were the resident here at Number 10 whether or not he would be happy for British officers to pull the trigger in the event of a Paris-style attack". They said Kuennsberg should have given the actual question. Note that BBC News immediately issued a statement supporting Kuennsberg and noting that the Trust had said there was no evidence of bias and that Kuennsberg had compiled her report in good faith.

Spin as much as you want. Corbyn's words were clear. "I am not happy with a shoot to kill policy in general". Sounds very much like condemning all shoot to kill to me.
  • Options

Unleaded petrol...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615

Though there has been a notable change in types of crime. Knife crime in London is up but the homicide rate is down. This may simply be better trauma care.
    It is a complex subject, which I don't believe anybody has THE answer e.g. Freakonomics author famously showed that legalized abortion in the US had a statistically significant impact there.

I think there is an argument also for when we had this massive explosion of cheap china goods. What is the point of nicking something that is worth bugger all. Now we are seeing his uptick in phone muggings, because everybody carries around £500 worth of electronics in their pocket.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805

The BBC are naughty to keep that story up there unedited as the BBC Trust rapped them for it for inaccurate reporting. (They presented a clip of an earlier more general comment as a reply to a specific question on how Corbyn would deal with a Bataclan terrorist incident)
  • Options

glw said:

Its definitely a cult.

However, one attracted the mid-aged blue collar workers and rural dwellers, the other is attracting the young / students often living in cities.
    Not sure that's true about the alt-right, nor are all Corbynites young. I think both groups have more in common than either side would like to admit.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    edited June 2017

grahambc1 said:

Kuenssberg: If you were prime minister, would you be happy to order people - police or military - to shoot to kill on Britain's streets?

Corbyn: I am not happy with a shoot to kill policy in general. I think that is quite dangerous and I think can often be counter-productive.

The above are the actual quotes.

The BBC Trust, after 4 times rejecting complaints, upheld one because in the report Kuenssberg said she had asked Corbyn, "if he were the resident here at Number 10 whether or not he would be happy for British officers to pull the trigger in the event of a Paris-style attack". They said Kuennsberg should have given the actual question. Note that BBC News immediately issued a statement supporting Kuennsberg and noting that the Trust had said there was no evidence of bias and that Kuennsberg had compiled her report in good faith.

Spin as much as you want. Corbyn's words were clear. "I am not happy with a shoot to kill policy in general". Sounds very much like condemning all shoot to kill to me.
    I'm not happy with low-sodium soy sauce but I don't condemn it.

Also you can't go from a general principle to a specific instance.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The BBC are naughty to keep that story up there unedited as the BBC Trust rapped them for it for inaccurate reporting. (They presented a clip of an earlier more general comment as a reply to a specific question on how Corbyn would deal with a Bataclan terrorist incident)
    @prh47bridge below says the potentially inaccurate bit was what Kuenssberg said when linking to the interview, not the interview itself.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Trump and PM Corbyn going to take on (certain parts of) the Middle East....
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I don't have any kids of my own, but Ariane Grande is the sort of concert my nieces could be at. :(
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

Its definitely a cult.

Not sure that's true about the alt-right, nor are all Corbynites young. I think both groups have more in common than either side would like to admit.
    Well both seem to have attracted followers who aren't very keen on Jews....
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

As pb-ers reminded us during the QT leaders programme, Corbyn has been doing this all his adult life. While May and so many other modern politicians avoid being questioned and get caught out, Corbyn is a throwback -- like Kinnock or Foot or John Major with his soap box -- to an earlier age when politicians would mix it with the public in pursuit of often unfashionable causes. And now Corbyn's taken David Cameron's mum's advice and bought a suit, done his tie up and metaphorically sung the national anthem, he looks the part too.

Oh -- and any pb commenters who invariably scored PMQs as a KO for the PM -- well maybe they were just spinning.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,508
    Danny565 said:

The whole point of the Conservative Party is to keep the likes of Jeremy Corbyn out of power! We don't have to like the Tories - that would be ridiculous - we vote for them because we're appalled by the other lot.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

What do ICM and comres do with people that didn't vote in 2015 and will vote in 2017?

How do polling predict then youth vote for 2017 or do they presume it will be the same as ,2015?

Youth vote won't be the same as 2015.

Check Carlotta's graph. Self-reported turnout for the youngest group is basically unchanged relative to 2015. That doesn't sound like a surge to me.
    I think the youth vote will be close to 70% not 43% in 2015. Just look at number of new voters since 2015.
    Are 70% even registered ?

It'll be up I think *Lab@ 10-1 Leeds NW ^^;* but 70% ?!
    Did you see how many new voters signed up that are under 30 before deadline.
    Would that be the same sort of effect of all the new voters who registered before the Referendum and were supposed to secure the victory for Remain?

Worked out well then didn't it?
    I've encountered ukip voters voting for corbyn and also lib dem voters in 2010 voted Tory 2015 remain and now corbyn.
    Does everyone you meet tell you how they voted two years ago and how they're planning to vote now? I'm quite political but I have no idea how most of my colleagues will vote - and I'm certainly not going to ruin my relationship with them by asking.
    My work place sent an email to all staff telling us to vote remain. I voted leave.

It's the way phrase questions, how you say it and the environment you do it in. You can get a lot out of people!e without them knowing. Sales\recruitment jobs teach you terrible butnuseful things.
    Really? Fucking cheek of it. A company TELLING its employees how to vote? I'd be tempted to vote the other way, no matter the cause, just because.
    Ron Dennis told McLaren employees to vote Remain. I'm sure that was counterproductive!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    Did the BBC1 QT with Farron and Sturgeon go ahead?

I can't see anything on it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

What do ICM and comres do with people that didn't vote in 2015 and will vote in 2017?

How do polling predict then youth vote for 2017 or do they presume it will be the same as ,2015?

Check Carlotta's graph. Self-reported turnout for the youngest group is basically unchanged relative to 2015. That doesn't sound like a surge to me.
    I think the youth vote will be close to 70% not 43% in 2015. Just look at number of new voters since 2015.

Would that be the same sort of effect of all the new voters who registered before the Referendum and were supposed to secure the victory for Remain?

I've encountered ukip voters voting for corbyn and also lib dem voters in 2010 voted Tory 2015 remain and now corbyn.
    Does everyone you meet tell you how they voted two years ago and how they're planning to vote now? I'm quite political but I have no idea how most of my colleagues will vote - and I'm certainly not going to ruin my relationship with them by asking.
    My work place sent an email to all staff telling us to vote remain. I voted leave.

It's the way phrase questions, how you say it and the environment you do it in. You can get a lot out of people!e without them knowing. Sales\recruitment jobs teach you terrible butnuseful things.
    Really? Fucking cheek of it. A company TELLING its employees how to vote? I'd be tempted to vote the other way, no matter the cause, just because.
    Ron Dennis told McLaren employees to vote Remain. I'm sure that was counterproductive!
    Surely it would have been much better to say something along the lines of "we think, on balance, staying in is right, but ultimately it is your decision".
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I think it has been delayed, possibly until tomorrow?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Surely it would have been much better to say something along the lines of "we think, on balance, staying in is right, but ultimately it is your decision".
    but we will be at the back of the queue...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Thanks - just seen it's 9pm tomorrow.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Does anyone know the position of all the major parties on Saudi?
  • Options
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I can't imagine Ron Dennis saying something like that!
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Cookie said:

Danny565 said:

The whole point of the Conservative Party is to keep the likes of Jeremy Corbyn out of power! We don't have to like the Tories - that would be ridiculous - we vote for them because we're appalled by the other lot.
    Precisely. Where I live (a small town in Cheshire) I have seen 3 labour posters all in decent sized houses, 2 lib dem and no Tory. I am absolutley certain that the voting will be Cons, Lib Dem, Labour in that order.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

While we're on about that sort of thing, I was at a children's festival last weekend (Geronimo, in Arley Hall, Cheshire- full of Cbeebies presenters and so forth). One of the things to go on was tree-climbing. The 'play co-ordinator', reading through the dos and don'ts - to a bunch of 5-10 year olds - concluded with reading out the last line on her big sign - don't vote Tory or UKIP. I thought they were overstepping the mark a bit there, but was told it was just the same as last year - this isn't open to Tory voters.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Corbyns speech right now - using his own campaign slogans- reminds me why I utterly loathe him. He is entirely disingenuous.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Isn't that a bit like a tree falling in the woods without anyone around to hear it?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Danny565 said:

Precisely. Where I live (a small town in Cheshire) I have seen 3 labour posters all in decent sized houses, 2 lib dem and no Tory. I am absolutley certain that the voting will be Cons, Lib Dem, Labour in that order.
    And any Tory poster is likely to be defaced with "tory scum", so there isn't really much point anyway.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

jonny83 said:

AndyJS said:

Theresa May is going to win a comfortable majority on Thursday by default. Because the opposition are unelectable. Possibly even a landslide.

Unless the yoof turn out in huge numbers...
    If the yoof were going to turn out in vast numbers they would be seen now leafletting in vast numbers - it is a strong indicator. Sure some are attending some rallies
    Plenty in the photos for #labourdoorstep such as:

twitter.com/LabourBristol/status/871043370755510273

I obviously have a different understanding of the word "huge". Also, Bristol should be a shoe in for Labour, aren't they wasting their efforts?
    Bristol North West is a Conservative seat .... for now
    Based on Comres today Labour would gain Bristol North West and Brighton Kemptown but lose Ellesmere Port and Neston, Bridgend, Mansfield and Bishop Auckland
    If the Tories are 12% ahead why should they lose either seat?
    They are not 12% ahead
    HYUFD was citing the ComRes poll (which I thought had a 12% lead).

As for the actuality we shall find out in a few days time: my repeated forecast has been a Tory lead of between 12 and 15% and a majority of at least 100.
    tsk JohnO what is PB coming to ?

last week of the campaign and we're not discussing swing back

Ah, my fellow bogtrotter, it's now time for you to reveal whether on June 8th, the Brookie good lady, and the vast hoards of the Brookie babes are going to be permitted to cast their votes for Mrs May this time? Could we see the turnout in Stratford on Avon soar to stratospheric levels?
    solid blue this time John
  • Options
    Cookie said:

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

While we're on about that sort of thing, I was at a children's festival last weekend (Geronimo, in Arley Hall, Cheshire- full of Cbeebies presenters and so forth). One of the things to go on was tree-climbing. The 'play co-ordinator, reading through the dos and don'ts - to a bunch of 5-10 year olds - concluded with reading out the last line on her big sign - don't vote Tory or UKIP. I thought they were overstepping the mark a bit there, but was told it was just the same as last year - this isn't open to Tory voters.
    Really? Who do these people think they are?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

While we're on about that sort of thing, I was at a children's festival last weekend (Geronimo, in Arley Hall, Cheshire- full of Cbeebies presenters and so forth). One of the things to go on was tree-climbing. The 'play co-ordinator, reading through the dos and don'ts - to a bunch of 5-10 year olds - concluded with reading out the last line on her big sign - don't vote Tory or UKIP. I thought they were overstepping the mark a bit there, but was told it was just the same as last year - this isn't open to Tory voters.
    Really? Who do these people think they are?
    Yes - detracted rather from the innocent-family-fun vibe.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Happy to see all these young people at this concert, showing they won't let the terrorists beat them. My cousin and her dad are there tonight with them.
  • Options
    The timing of Corbyn's speech just feels unpleasantly opportunistic.

He could have made it tomorrow morning - but not, he is making it this evening. At the same time as the concert and as a massive police operation is underway round the UK

Irrespective of the contents, it is the wrong time to be saying anything.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    jayfdee said:

Southern Alps?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

jonny83 said:

AndyJS said:

Theresa May is going to win a comfortable majority on Thursday by default. Because the opposition are unelectable. Possibly even a landslide.

Unless the yoof turn out in huge numbers...
    If the yoof were going to turn out in vast numbers they would be seen now leafletting in vast numbers - it is a strong indicator. Sure some are attending some rallies
    Plenty in the photos for #labourdoorstep such as:

twitter.com/LabourBristol/status/871043370755510273

I obviously have a different understanding of the word "huge". Also, Bristol should be a shoe in for Labour, aren't they wasting their efforts?
    Bristol North West is a Conservative seat .... for now
    Based on Comres today Labour would gain Bristol North West and Brighton Kemptown but lose Ellesmere Port and Neston, Bridgend, Mansfield and Bishop Auckland
    If the Tories are 12% ahead why should they lose either seat?
    They are not 12% ahead
    HYUFD was citing the ComRes poll (which I thought had a 12% lead).

As for the actuality we shall find out in a few days time: my repeated forecast has been a Tory lead of between 12 and 15% and a majority of at least 100.
    tsk JohnO what is PB coming to ?

last week of the campaign and we're not discussing swing back

Ah, my fellow bogtrotter, it's now time for you to reveal whether on June 8th, the Brookie good lady, and the vast hoards of the Brookie babes are going to be permitted to cast their votes for Mrs May this time? Could we see the turnout in Stratford on Avon soar to stratospheric levels?
    solid blue this time John
    A nation rejoices.
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    God no a politician being opportunistic its hard to believe

He could have made it tomorrow morning - but not, he is making it this evening. At the same time as the concert and as a massive police operation is underway round the UK

• Options
    Cookie said:

The 'play co-ordinator, reading through the dos and don'ts - to a bunch of 5-10 year olds - concluded with reading out the last line on her big sign - don't vote Tory or UKIP. I thought they were overstepping the mark a bit there, but was told it was just the same as last year - this isn't open to Tory voters.

You're making that up aren't you ?
    Surely ?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Corbyns speech right now - using his own campaign slogans- reminds me why I utterly loathe him. He is entirely disingenuous.

Watch some music in Manchester then.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

He's trying to shut down the whole shoot to kill thing and show he's serious about terrorism. His record speaks otherwise.
  • Options

Well both seem to have attracted followers who aren't very keen on Jews....

Ha ha, but that's part of the conspiracist mindset which is common to these groups. Talk of Zionist plots, the Russians, false-flag operations, biased media cartels and more are part of the belief system of both groups. I suspect if you delved deep enough you find you really serious conspiracists within each group, probably banging on about shape-shifting lizard people, engines that run on water, and HAARP.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

What would you think if a defence industry company told its employees to vote Tory because Labour planned to ban their exports? Would that be fair or not fair?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Barnesian said:

Wow! That crowd is nearly as big as Trump's inauguration one.
  • Options

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

What would you think if a defence industry company told its employees to vote Tory because Labour planned to ban their exports? Would that be fair or not fair?
    I don't think companies should be telling employees how to vote, or influencing how people vote. It's dangerous because it make be viewed as "you must vote this way, or we'll sack you".
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I thought Palmer thought the attack shouldn't be politicised - seems Jezbollah missed the memo
  • Options
    spire2 said:

If you suspend your campaign for the day, you suspend it. You don't restart it early to try to gain some advantage.

Grubby
  • Options

spire2 said:

If you suspend your campaign for the day, you suspend it. You don't restart it early to try to gain some advantage.

Grubby
    Desperation?
  • Options
    I really can't vote for any of the major parties in good conscience, and it's made me quite sad that my priorities are clearly so detached from those in the political sphere.
  • Options

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

My company made clear that it was our decision but they made their preference clear.

It was counter productive from people I spoke to
  • Options
    OT, but we had one report from a Tory canvasser earlier today. Were there others (from either side) that I missed earlier in the day talking about Saturday canvassing?
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    Do you think it will work? I think the police resources issue might get some traction and May is going to gave to defend hrer tine at tge home office

He's trying to shut down the whole shoot to kill thing and show he's serious about terrorism. His record speaks otherwise.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    A little bit old but I've just noticed it:

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 5h5 hours ago
    Our Nowcast for 04 June:

Con: 354 (+24)
    Lab: 214 (-18)
    SNP: 47 (-9)
    LDem: 12 (+4)

Looks like a bit of a mixed bag if correct, something, but not much, for everyone.
    Probably not enough to cause anyone to resign.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008

RobD said:

Thanks - so the much derided fall in police numbers doesn't appear to have seen a massive increase in crime.

Perhaps reported crime is falling as there are fewer officers to investigate it? Minor crimes are not reported because why bother. Probably bollocks.
  • Options
    RobD said:

OT, but we had one report from a Tory canvasser earlier today. Were there others (from either side) that I missed earlier in the day talking about Saturday canvassing?

What did it say?
  • Options
    spire2 said:

Do you think it will work? I think the police resources issue might get some traction and May is going to gave to defend hrer tine at tge home office

Voters overwhelmingly trust May/Tories on the 'keeping britain safe' issue.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Chameleon said:

I really can't vote for any of the major parties in good conscience, and it's made me quite sad that my priorities are clearly so detached from those in the political sphere.

You're a pretty poor chameleon in that case!
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Perhaps reported crime is falling as there are fewer officers to investigate it? Minor crimes are not reported because why bother. Probably bollocks.
    The CSEW shouldn't be affected by that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612

NEW THREAD

• Options

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

It would be silly, because all parties would know that Len McCluskey would be having a quiet word or two about any such ban being introduced.

Is that a gotcha btw - has a company actually done this?
  • Options

Vote for the party that wants to get rid of MI5 and disarm police doesn't work as a campaign slogan.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

RobD said:

What did it say?
    Ah, I might be thinking of Casino_Royale's comments which were yesterday. I recall him being bullish.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Hopefully, most people would have been watching the concert and not listening to Jeremy Corbyn's nauseating opportunistic speech.

I'm truly shocked at the ignorance about Jeremy Corbyn's past views and I desperately hope that we don't get another terrorist attack next week ,if he becomes PM, because a lot of people are going to find out pretty quickly his real views. He may get away with it for a while but eventually the penny will drop but it will be too late then, we have got him and Diane Abbott for five whole years.
This discussion has been closed.