Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day ICM gave the Tories a 12% lead, YouGov analysis has

Comments

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Will the EU be negotiating with an empty chair on the 19th of June? What if we don't have a government?

Where will they send the bill.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    surbiton said:

I can hear a drip-drip sound. It's coming from North Camden.

Indeed. Just think how many people will benefit from the taxes a successfully author will pay under Labour.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    midwinter said:

Danny565 said:

midwinter said:

bobajobPB said:

eek said:

Labour gaining seats? Where exactly are they going to gain seats....

Good point. Let's play name the Labour seat gain game.

Okay, Leeds NW, Cambridge.

Err...
    Gower, Sheffield Hallam, Morley, Croydon central off the top of my head.
    I'm sticking with 4 Labour gains from Tories: Bury North, Cardiff North, Bristol North West, Brighton Kemptown.

Plus Leeds NW, Brighton Pavilion, East Lothian and Edinburgh North from other parties.
    Yeah. My point is there are plenty of seats it's not impossible for Labour to gain . People seem to be very inert in accepting the Tories aren't doing as well as they should be. Rather reminiscent of Labours fabled ground game of 2015. We believe what we want to.
    It seems to have become an article of faith on PB that the Tories are overperforming in marginal seats (so people assume their seat numbers will always be even better than the national poll figures are suggesting), even though there's very little solid evidence to support that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    If this YouGov is right, Mike's going to be very pleased.

He sold the Tories at 393
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbcnickrobinson: Here's a man who knows that a poll driven narrative saying 'it's closer than you think' works for the Tories https://twitter.com/edballs/status/869675189465952256
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

If you stick those numbers into Baxter, you get hardly any change in number of seats from 2015. Labour up less than 10.

Yougov says that they have a constituency by constituency model. Therefore, it is not a UNS model.

UNS is crap anyway.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Scott_P said:

@bbcnickrobinson: Here's a man who knows that a poll driven narrative saying 'it's closer than you think' works for the Tories https://twitter.com/edballs/status/869675189465952256

Worked for the Tories then. Might be different now, etc etc.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    Scott_P said:

The day the polls turned back?

....who am I kidding :D
  • Options
    Sell £. Buy Bitcoin !
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Ashcroft has the Tories near 400 still.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    sealo0 said:

I'd love to see a YouGov poll restricted to people who have been on their panel at least 2 years - just in case.....

I have been on their panel for 5 years. I have been polled only once in the last year about four weeks ago. I understand they have 800k on the panel but even so.

Mike
    I was polled on the 25 and again today. There was a weird supplemental with the 25th attempt that asked if I expected a British city to be attacked by another state within the next ten years that I don't think has been published yet.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

YouGov. Cough. Does anyone believe this stuff? Really?

It's true that the young are in the tank for Corbyn (my office is unbelievable, the bizarre strength of Corbynism among posh, privately educated, twentysomething women) but there simply aren't enough of them in the right places, and many don't vote.

Indeed. Hence why even you Corbynistas haven't been this optimistic. This would have to mean the middle aged or even the old Tory vote is hemorrhaging and no one else has noticed.
    Me a Corbynista? Er, no.
    Sorry, this prediction has scrambled my wits.

Although if this thing is right, hundreds of thousands have turned into Corbynistas and aren't telling anyone else.
    The girls in my office tell anyone who will listen! Never seen so many young people so politically vocal. Weird.
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43
    Danny565 said:

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

midwinter said:

bobajobPB said:

eek said:

Err...
    I'm sticking with 4 Labour gains from Tories: Bury North, Cardiff North, Bristol North West, Brighton Kemptown.

Plus Leeds NW, Brighton Pavilion, East Lothian and Edinburgh North from other parties.
    Can't see Lucas losing. What's the point ?
    Some polls have had the Greens as low as 1%. IF they really do lose three-quarters of their support (and tbf there have been some polls showing them doing better, including ICM today), then it's hard to see that Brighton Pavilion would be immune to that.
    If the collapse in Green vote is due to an anti-Tory tactical voting by Greens then Brighton Pavilion will be immune to it.

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Scott_P said:

Been that way for sometime. Polls frame the political narrative.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

You all need to listen to JohnO

Wise words.
    I bet you wish you were still on holiday ;-)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Where's Jason? He'll calm the PB Tories and anto-Corbynites down.

He might have a novel and untried strategy that involves mentioning the IRA.
    Could it be that the Tory strategy of concentrating on Jezza is actually helping his brand? and that the more people see him, the more charmed they are?

He should go to the debate tommorow.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    Corbyn won Labour leadership twice because his opponents had no good ideas.

Just saying.

PS house theft is a shitter idea to beat him than Kendalls pretend were Tories and Smiths negotiate with ISIS
  • Options
    So it's a clairvoyant poll!

Although if Paul Mason finds it unbelievably good for Labour, then YouGov have some amazing faith in their model to push it like this.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Surely, the key point there is "always" had Leave ahead?

This is the first time it's shown the Conservatives behind the winning post, and up until a few weeks ago showed very solid leads.

An awful lot of Yougov panellists have either changed their minds, or firmed up, very very rapidly.
    No, you're conflating two things

* the YouGov Voter Intention poll report
    * the YouGov Seat Model

The former has been around for months. The latter went live (I think) last week.

Yes, but the latter is based on a 50k poll from their panel showing a 4% Tory lead.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    In a way the YouGov would be good for the country, insofar as it implies a big turnout among young people and other usually voluntarily disenfranchised folk.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Could it be that the Tory strategy of concentrating on Jezza is actually helping his brand? and that the more people see him, the more charmed they are?

He really should.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    I'd be pretty surprised if the final result was outside 360-390 now.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

Will the EU be negotiating with an empty chair on the 19th of June? What if we don't have a government?

I'd rather have an empty chair negotiating on our behalf than Liam Fox
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

YouGov. Cough. Does anyone believe this stuff? Really?

It's true that the young are in the tank for Corbyn (my office is unbelievable, the bizarre strength of Corbynism among posh, privately educated, twentysomething women) but there simply aren't enough of them in the right places, and many don't vote.

Indeed. Hence why even you Corbynistas haven't been this optimistic. This would have to mean the middle aged or even the old Tory vote is hemorrhaging and no one else has noticed.
    Me a Corbynista? Er, no.
    Sorry, this prediction has scrambled my wits.

Although if this thing is right, hundreds of thousands have turned into Corbynistas and aren't telling anyone else.
    The girls in my office tell anyone who will listen! Never seen so many young people so politically vocal. Weird.
    As more and more twentysomethings, even thirtysomethings, live with parents, I wonder how many are missed by canvassers who only speak with mum or dad.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

He really should.
    He comes across as very authentic. He might as well go to the debate tomorrow, not least to show up Theresa Meh.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Just noticed YouGov's SNP projection.

Retaining 50 seats would be a stonkingly good figure for them really.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

In a way the YouGov would be good for the country, insofar as it implies a big turnout among young people and other usually voluntarily disenfranchised folk.

It's a great poll for betting.

Nonsense of course.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    If Corbyn does the debate-thing, the Tories line should be "I see you can't trust Diane Abbott with anything. Is it because she's a woman?"
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    A question. What do people hate most Online? Answer unrequested ads. Can't help feeling the Youtube ones are an error. Both my (non-political) children have said they definitely wouldn't be voting for T May.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    YouGov are implying that all the polls are overstating the Tories? Brave.

(UNS might be broken, but it's not broken enough for a Tory share of 43%+ to yield a hung parliament.)
  • Options
    I'm in the public sector, with some quite vocal labour people - not a corbyn fan among them, publicly. Deep in the tory shires, admittedly, but i just don't understand the rest of the country anymore.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Danny565 said:

midwinter said:

Danny565 said:

midwinter said:

bobajobPB said:

eek said:

Err...

Yeah. My point is there are plenty of seats it's not impossible for Labour to gain . People seem to be very inert in accepting the Tories aren't doing as well as they should be. Rather reminiscent of Labours fabled ground game of 2015. We believe what we want to.
    It seems to have become an article of faith on PB that the Tories are overperforming in marginal seats (so people assume their seat numbers will always be even better than the national poll figures are suggesting), even though there's very little solid evidence to support that.
    Indeed we may well be seeing the return of anti Tory tactical voting, while Tories mop up UKIP votes in their safe seats.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    I do hope yougov are transparent about their methodology with this.

Maybe they're the LA times/USC pollster of this election? Maybe Corbyn is Bernie Sanders in Michigan? Who knows?

It's all very exciting. We'll see what comes tomorrow.

For now, I've closed out most of my betting positions for a small loss.

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

It gives the Tories 338 seats, although Yougov must be projecting the Tories get votes where they don't benefit them.

Eh? How would UNS point to the Tories increasing their seats, with just a 4-point lead (and thus a national swing against them)?
    dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Chris said:

Meanwhile, THAT Corbyn IRA attack video has now been seen 4.377 million times.....

Perhaps it's actually boosting his popularity!
    Those are all paid views. Many if not most will be for 3 seconds or less. 4.3m is a crap number, it could easily be 400,000 people who check Facebook x10 a day.
    Also Momentum is encouraging people to click on Tory ads. They need to pay for each view.
    The rumour I hear is that the Tories have 'turned the taps on' so to speak on paying to put this ad out. That means they are paying lots of money to put it in every facebook feed, at the start of every youtube clip, and so on, they can possibly buy.

Far from the view count rising being a sign of strength, if this rumour were true then it could be a sign of weakness, in fact a sign of outright panic, at CCHQ.

To me the Tories are ramping up their ad spend in a way that looks panicky, although not yet outright desperate. My personal interpretation of the placement and frequency of attack ads suggests that CCHQ think (or at least worry) that this is going to be close.
    You do realise CCHQ had to pay for each of the 5m views.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

He really should.
    He comes across as very authentic. He might as well go to the debate tomorrow, not least to show up Theresa Meh.
    He has little to lose vs much to gain. And if he is riding a wave, he might as well ride it as high as he can.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

If you constantly repeat 'It's me or Jeremy Corbyn', people who don't want you know what there choice should be,
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,228

We always have a government. The existing one stays in place until a new one is formed, although by convention they do the minimum necessary during the gap. Philip Hammond is still CoE, Boris is still ForSec.
  • Options
    Pong said:

I do hope yougov are transparent about their methodology with this.

Maybe they're the LA times/USC pollster of this election? Maybe Corbyn is Bernie Sanders in Michigan? Who knows?

It's all very exciting. We'll see what comes tomorrow.

For now, I've closed out most of my betting positions for a small loss.

If anything, the direction of travel will be useful.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kyf_100 said:

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

It gives the Tories 338 seats, although Yougov must be projecting the Tories get votes where they don't benefit them.

Eh? How would UNS point to the Tories increasing their seats, with just a 4-point lead (and thus a national swing against them)?
    dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Chris said:

Meanwhile, THAT Corbyn IRA attack video has now been seen 4.377 million times.....

Those are all paid views. Many if not most will be for 3 seconds or less. 4.3m is a crap number, it could easily be 400,000 people who check Facebook x10 a day.
    Also Momentum is encouraging people to click on Tory ads. They need to pay for each view.
    The rumour I hear is that the Tories have 'turned the taps on' so to speak on paying to put this ad out. That means they are paying lots of money to put it in every facebook feed, at the start of every youtube clip, and so on, they can possibly buy.

Far from the view count rising being a sign of strength, if this rumour were true then it could be a sign of weakness, in fact a sign of outright panic, at CCHQ.

To me the Tories are ramping up their ad spend in a way that looks panicky, although not yet outright desperate. My personal interpretation of the placement and frequency of attack ads suggests that CCHQ think (or at least worry) that this is going to be close.
    I don't think they are short on cash.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kyf_100 said:

Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Chris said:

And I viewed 40k times
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,171
    Pulpstar said:

Has Yougov had some serious Corbynista infiltration.

Seriously it goes against the positioning/canvassing of @HYUFD, Aaron, David Herdson, Big John Owls (NED lost, Lab resources back to Chesterfield), @MarqueeMark (Torbay Lib/Lab -> Con switchers), David Herdson (Yorkshire), Andrea Leadsom (Out to Bolsover), Chuka Ummuna (In Hyndburn), local elections, by-election models, leader ratings, my office...

It goes against EVERYTHING.

Indeed.

In retrospect the 2015 giveaway was EdM campaigning in Warwickshire North - the then most marginal Conservative constituency.

Now where have the leading politicians been at this election - not the likes of Amber Valley and Erewash but Bolsover and Chesterfield.

Compare to YouGov's 2015 polls:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/yougov-voting-intention

every one of their 50 polls leading up to the vote predicted EICIPM.
  • Options
    Well, that settles it, I'm voting Tory.
  • Options
    Hanretty : Tories 385 seats.
    Ashcroft : Tories 396 seats
    Fisher: Tories 375 seats
    Yougov: Tories 310 seats.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Just noticed YouGov's SNP projection.

Retaining 50 seats would be a stonkingly good figure for them really.

I can believe that.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,153

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Negative campaigning certainly isn't a risk-free strategy. Corbyn is trying to attract people who are disillusioned with politics. One of the things that makes people disillusioned with politics is negative campaigning.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well, that settles it, I'm voting Tory.

Good. Gooooood. :naughty:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Being an outlier doesn't mean they are wrong, nor does past poor performance means they are wrong now.

I don't believe it, its just beyond what Labour themselves think, what Paul Mason thinks for crying out loud!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It's a great poll for betting.

Nonsense of course.

Yep, should push the Tory price up a bit on my forecast outcome of 95 majority. Still sticking.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Never been seen before!

I am posting on mobile and now in my PC in my £1m house paid for purely by myself!

Why is this poll rubbish posted on here!

We are 12% clear on ICM and 12% clear on ComRes! Game over Party like its 1987!!!!

Hubris.
    See you 9 days time Casino

We are both on the same side let's enjoy it then
    Yes. I'll be shitting myself at 9.59pm, again, just even more so than last time.
    We'll be fine

See all of you 8 June xx
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Posts: 26
    If there really is this surge of support for Corbyn's Labour, why didn't they show up for the council elections a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,347

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

The problem is that trying to portray him as wild-eyed jihadist IRA volunteer doesn't really square with his current mien of the genial old grandad. The Tory campaign should have been about Theresa and her mission to build a powerful and robust mandate for Brexit. Nothing else. Corbyn and Labour should have been ignored as an utter irrelevance.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If this lot is right I might drop ~ 2 grand in the betting.. (Though will still be up on the year from Macron etc)
    My house will halve, but any I want to buy will go down also.

Strange times :D
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Cosmic said:

If there really is this surge of support for Corbyn's Labour, why didn't they show up for the council elections a few weeks ago?

Apparently people love Tories but one look at May's manifesto saw them drop the party, and Labour waverers and young people to surge ????
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,907
    kle4 said:

I'm in the public sector, with some quite vocal labour people - not a corbyn fan among them, publicly.

It doesn't matter too much whether they're Corbyn fans, as long as they vote for him. My suspicion is that the campaign so far is encouraging people to hold their noses and vote for Corbyn.
  • Options
    @kle4 Camalie Tea would do you some good.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pus all the over/under markets predict the same.

Which means effectively nobody is putting their money on what YouGov think will happen.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    Someone in the polling industry texted me

'Why are YouGov trying to put themselves out of business?'
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2017
    May should do the debate tomorrow because it won't cost her anything.

It's a far easier format than C4/Sky yesterday or BBC1 QT on Friday.

Seven people giving one minute soundbites with minimal debate or interaction.

Slow paced, nobody gets the chance to build any momentum as you don't get to talk for long enough.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    When are the next polls?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

It's a far easier format than C4 yesterday or BBC1 QT on Friday.

7 people giving one minute soundbites with minimal debate or interaction.

More U-turns?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ashcroft has the Tories near 400 still.

That's only the majority !
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

If you stick those numbers into Baxter, you get hardly any change in number of seats from 2015. Labour up less than 10.

Yougov says that they have a constituency by constituency model. Therefore, it is not a UNS model.

UNS is crap anyway.
    Yes it's brave of YouGov to attempt a different approach.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

If you constantly repeat 'It's me or Jeremy Corbyn', people who don't want you know what there choice should be,
    Jezza knows how to work a crowd, and gain the big Mo.

https://youtu.be/ZBI2fnkFcRw
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

7 people giving one minute soundbites with minimal debate or interaction.

More U-turns?
    Exactly. She should just stay out of that particular fray.
  • Options

@kle4 Camalie Tea would do you some good.

It was a choice between Tory and LD anyway, and I know the LD candidate, who is a good man. But if I cannot affect the outcome, I should at least indicate I would rather Tories win than Corbyn, in these circumstances equivocation cannot be borne.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

Slow paced, nobody gets the chance to build any momentum as you don't get to talk for long enough.

Agreed.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,153
    Cosmic said:

But all the polls have shown a tremendous movement in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

This is fascinating.

I don't believe YouGov for a minute, but I do believe it increases the chance of (as someone put it upthread) a black swan. If Corbyn turns up to the debate and monsters Rudd, while Farron holds firm, the narrative could swing.

One of many key things in this election is the silence of the Libdems and Greens. If you were CCHQ you'd be constantly on the phone to the media trying to persuade them to focus more on those two also-rans. Both parties are running 90% paper campaigns, i.e. only spending their time, effort and money on a small number of winnable seats, allowing Labour a free run over most of the country. After all, that's their best strategy. If they win 20 seats between them but the Tories win by 50, there's no point. If they win 10 seats between them but it's a hung parliament, they have some power.
  • Options

So their competitors are laughing at them then. Still can't believe people are in meltdown over a single projection.

Days ago this lot had the Tory lead up to 7%.
  • Options

If they are right, they will clear up. Perhaps the rest are just herding.

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Some observations from my constituency - Con gain in 2010 from Labour. There is more activity from Labour activists than 2015. I have even seen Labour posters in fields! Only had one Con leaflet, 2 from Labour, and 2 from Lib Dems. We have had 2 hustings which were both very anti-Conservative - very clear Labour activist participation. I originally assumed an increased Conservative majority - not sure now.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

According the Times article this was how they calculated their results:

YouGov used data from the Office of National Statistics, the British Election Study, and past election results. It then estimated the number of each type of voter in each constituency. Combining the model probabilities and estimated census counts allowed the pollster to produce what it hopes is a fairly accurate estimate of the number of voters in each constituency intending to vote for a party on each day.

Lol. That's it, I've given up on the polls. No one has a f-----g clue do they?
    If this model always had Leave ahead last year, why was Peter Kellner so confident that Remain would win, even after the first set of results had been declared?
    They had this model. Did they say they actually used it for their public figures ? During the post-election review they realised it was correct all along. Remember, the received wisdom was Remain was going to win anyway, like the Tories now.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,077
    There's that annoying political cliche 'the only poll that matters is the one on election day' - for once it might be sensible advice.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    viewcode said:

In the last thread @Gallowgate asked a question. Given the kerfuffle about YouGov's seat model, you may be interested in the answer

So what is YouGov doing that Electoral Calculus, for example, isnt?

Go on, have a guess. What are *all* the polling companies doing in 2017 (well, nearly) that only some did in 2016 EUREF and few in 2015 GE?

Yes, they are using models.

They have recruited some cheeky cherubs with MScs in Data Science or Machine Learning with new laptops that their Mum bought them, with R uploaded and wheeling thru the HighPerformanceComputing and MachineLearning views of CRAN. They're doing Hamiltonian Monte Carlo, they're having a whale of a time, the clients are impressed, and that shit looks really good on your CV, trust me. You can point to stuff on screens. Woo.

There is one teeny problem.

Any model is dependent on assumptions about past behavior, and if those behaviors change (eg bigger than expected youth turnout) then the model is fucked. This isn't an abstract problem, it happened with ComRes and their Voter Turnout Model in 2016 EURef. So they've replaced something which isn't dependent (asking people about their Likelihood To Vote on a 1-10 scale) with something that is dependent (a voter turnout model)

On the specific case of YouGov, they're using another model to deduce seats from votes. Which is poling Pelion upon Ossa if you ask me: why in the name of Almighty God are they producing seat estimates at all?!

Pause.

I get a bit intense about this... :(
    Thanks for the explanation @viewcode .
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 101

YouGov used data from the Office of National Statistics, the British Election Study, and past election results. It then estimated the number of each type of voter in each constituency. Combining the model probabilities and estimated census counts allowed the pollster to produce what it hopes is a fairly accurate estimate of the number of voters in each constituency intending to vote for a party on each day.

That does sound very similar to the Ashcroft model's approach:

The Ashcroft Model combines the results of a 40,000-sample survey... with detailed census data. This shows us the likelihood that particular kinds of people – in terms of their age, sex, occupation, level of education, and so on – will have a particular opinion. It uses information from people of the same demographic background but who are from substantially different geographic areas to help calculate these probabilities. Crucially, the model then allows us to extrapolate this information to individual constituencies according to the profile of their population."
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

UNS is crap anyway.
    Yes it's brave of YouGov to attempt a different approach.
    I remember telling Mark Senior that it was brave of him to reveal his prediction for the local elections.
  • Options

So their competitors are laughing at them then. Still can't believe people are in meltdown over a single projection.

Hold on ! The Tory lead is still 4%. The seats projection is not coming from UNS but their constituency model.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Danny565 said:

midwinter said:

Danny565 said:

midwinter said:

bobajobPB said:

eek said:

Err...

Yeah. Tactical voting could easily see the Tories revert back to the inefficient vote they historically had prior to 2015. And Cameron was considerably more acceptable to 2010 Lib Dems than May is now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

(I hate it when you spot a typo too late to correct it... 'Their choice')

On topic, Corbyn has sucked the air out of the other campaigns. The Tories made it a referendum about him, and it doesn't seem to have worked.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    chrisb said:

The Ashcroft Model combines the results of a 40,000-sample survey... with detailed census data. This shows us the likelihood that particular kinds of people – in terms of their age, sex, occupation, level of education, and so on – will have a particular opinion. It uses information from people of the same demographic background but who are from substantially different geographic areas to help calculate these probabilities. Crucially, the model then allows us to extrapolate this information to individual constituencies according to the profile of their population."
    Similar maybe but with two very constrasting results! One giving the Tories 400 seats and the other questioning if they will get more than 285!
  • Options
    Dadge said:

This is fascinating.

I don't believe YouGov for a minute, but I do believe it increases the chance of (as someone put it upthread) a black swan. If Corbyn turns up to the debate and monsters Rudd, while Farron holds firm, the narrative could swing.

One of many key things in this election is the silence of the Libdems and Greens. If you were CCHQ you'd be constantly on the phone to the media trying to persuade them to focus more on those two also-rans. Both parties are running 90% paper campaigns, i.e. only spending their time, effort and money on a small number of winnable seats, allowing Labour a free run over most of the country. After all, that's their best strategy. If they win 20 seats between them but the Tories win by 50, there's no point. If they win 10 seats between them but it's a hung parliament, they have some power.
    The LD campaign is very seat focussed, I have had requests from HQ to go help in Cambridge, St Albans and Chesterfield.

Also more locally for Harborough, Rutland and Melton, as well as Bosworth, but even the latter is a tall order. I will be out pushing leaflets in Bosworth myself.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

(I hate it when you spot a typo too late to correct it... 'Their choice')

On topic, Corbyn has sucked the air out of the other campaigns. The Tories made it a referendum about him, and it doesn't seem to have worked.
    Seemed like a safe gamble given the polls, given the locals, given Copeland. Somehow they've mucked it up. Small majority at best, 30-40.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Joe Twyman‏Verified account @JoeTwyman

NB Seat estimates from @YouGov's election model are based on current data. NOT a prediction. More details on website launching tomorrow PM.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Pulpstar said:

But are all of those forecasts up to date?

When were they all released?

(YouGov was obviously tonight)
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Joe Twyman‏Verified account @JoeTwyman

NB Seat estimates from @YouGov's election model are based on current data. NOT a prediction.

What difference does that make? They are still saying the current situation is wildly out of line with everything seen to date by anyone.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Lol. That's it, I've given up on the polls. No one has a f-----g clue do they?
    If this model always had Leave ahead last year, why was Peter Kellner so confident that Remain would win, even after the first set of results had been declared?
    They had this model. Did they say they actually used it for their public figures ? During the post-election review they realised it was correct all along. Remember, the received wisdom was Remain was going to win anyway, like the Tories now.
    Yes, they obviously weren't publicly using it at the time.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Move over Martin Boon. I love Tom Newton Dunn and I want to have his babies. Or in a pinch, SeanT's. Or Jason's. What? Yes, I am a slut. A swivel-eyed RW slut, though, and currently in need of anti-YG soothing. Oh wait... get away from me, Sean. I said soothing ffs.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,228
    I know Tissue Price is an ornament and a grace to this site, and he will no doubt be a credit to his party if elected. But I can't help but look at that picture and think...

...is he trying to knob that sign? His crotch is very close to it... :)

• Options
    Prodicus said:

Move over Martin Boon. I love Tom Newton Dunn and I want to have his babies. Or in a pinch, SeanT's. Or Jason's. What? Yes, I am a slut. A swivel-eyed RW slut, though, and currently in need of anti-YG soothing. Oh wait... get away from me, Sean. I said soothing ffs.
    LOL.
  • Options
    slade said:

Some observations from my constituency - Con gain in 2010 from Labour. There is more activity from Labour activists than 2015. I have even seen Labour posters in fields! Only had one Con leaflet, 2 from Labour, and 2 from Lib Dems. We have had 2 hustings which were both very anti-Conservative - very clear Labour activist participation. I originally assumed an increased Conservative majority - not sure now.

In my safe seat the only leaflets are 2 from the LD, but we do have quite a few LD councillors.

The leaflet decided Fox jr for LD over Labour.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

Hold on ! The Tory lead is still 4%. The seats projection is not coming from UNS but their constituency model.
    Yes.

Their constituency model might be quite good - even if the VI is overstating Lab.

The lab vote could potentially be nice and efficient.

Tories piling up votes where they either a) don't need them (blue heartlands) and/or b) where they're not strong enough to challenge (lab heartlands)

I want to play with their constituency model. Hope it goes online.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

This is fascinating.

Labour have the spending power whereas they don't, so yes it's a case of the Red Machine being given a free pass by the pipsqueaks, who, as you say, are behaving perfectly rationally.
  • Options
    chrisb said:

The same snake oil salesperson sold to both of them ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited May 2017
    has this moved the spread markets ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    There is simply no way on God's green earth that remain-leave polarisation of the vote favours Labour. Leave won over 400 seats, the Tories are well up with leave voters.
  • Options

slade said:

In my safe seat the only leaflets are 2 from the LD, but we do have quite a few LD councillors.

The leaflet decided Fox jr for LD over Labour.
    More than your own persuasions? That must have been some leaflet!

Night all. As I said, if this is right I will donate money to the Labour party in recognition of their astounding success.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    chloe said:

MikeL said:

Agreed.
    chloe said:

MikeL said:

Agreed.
    Not sure, she's so ponderous and flat footed and waffly she might make things worse. Tories should have sent Ruth Davidson. She's quick thinking and an excellent speaker.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I know Tissue Price is an ornament and a grace to this site, and he will no doubt be a credit to his party if elected. But I can't help but look at that picture and think...

...is he trying to knob that sign? His crotch is very close to it... :)

Just the thing for canvassing a semi!
This discussion has been closed.