Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Every day that the GE2017 campaign is suspended is a win for t

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Jason said:

All the Tories need to do to restart campaigning is to have a poster with pictures of May and Corbyn and a caption "Which one makes you most secure?"

Followed up with some choice quotes from McDonnell and Abbot.

Then sit back for a fortnight.

I'm not sure the Tories will go for that now, but they don't really need to. The Sun and the Mail will do it for them.

I reckon by the end of the campaign, every single person eligible to vote will know, in detail, everything Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell ever said and did.

And their judgement will be severe.
    I thought you were joking until I searched for it! McDonnell seems to have form of saying something/supporting it and then later when asked about it claiming he did no such thing. I mean the man is recorded on video saying these controversial views and still denies it. He is a liar. The public needs to be made aware of this as I had no idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/19/john-mcdonnell-denies-backing-call-to-end-mi5-and-disarm-police
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    MTimT said:

10 an over with just 2 wickets in hand ...

Surely England can't blow this? ;)

You haaaaaaaaaaad to say it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

looks like a good day out for TSE

Surely just need AB

Andy Burnham :) ?
    AB 45 NO
    SA ahead on runs but behind on wickets, fascinating last hour coming. 115 required from 72 balls.

Edit: GOT HIM!!!!!! 225/7, out of batsmen this looks over for the visitors.
    Their number nine is truly pathetic, he averages barely over 120 with the bat.

Why is BJO supporting the Proteas?

Edit - Ok, make that a smidgeon over 64.
    Lol Where did BJO say he was supporting the proteas o_O ?
  • Options

Completely agree with the thread header, I said yesterday morning I wanted to see what May and Corbyn are like in a crisis. As it stands I'm very disappointed with both.

What have they failed to do? I am asking just out of interest.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HaroldO said:

MTimT said:

10 an over with just 2 wickets in hand ...

Surely England can't blow this? ;)

You haaaaaaaaaaad to say it.
    England collapse starts, Stokes drops Parnell on 1
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Surely just need AB

AB 45 NO
    Andy Burnham celebrating his 45th birthday in New Orleans?
    ABICIMOM

ABDV not so much
    The sad thing is I understood that! Too much PB
    I had my pint of Guinness on the keyboard it appears to have typed random capital letters!!!!
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that May is likely to get a G7 summit bounce going into next week.

Won't all eyes be on Macron?
    No he's right. Think of the London attacks and the world leaders yielding to Blair. It's what happens - she'll be seen to be a stateswoman.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

Completely agree with the thread header, I said yesterday morning I wanted to see what May and Corbyn are like in a crisis. As it stands I'm very disappointed with both.

Unless I've missed something both have failed to tell us what they will do to prevent further attacks. As distressing as it all is it comes as no surprise but it seems neither has a clue how to respond.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Surely just need AB

AB 45 NO
    SA ahead on runs but behind on wickets, fascinating last hour coming. 115 required from 72 balls.

To (mis)quote my Blackadder, my suspicions were first aroused by his use of the words 'oh bugger' at the fall of a wicket.
  • Options
    Rufus Hound desperately backpedalling after diving off the deep end of the Alex Jones/Corbynista tin hat springboard on tw@tter.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Surely just need AB

AB 45 NO

To (mis)quote my Blackadder, my suspicions were first aroused by his use of the words 'oh bugger' at the fall of a wicket.
    I'd hope he's got at least a hundred quid on them if thats the case :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    RobD said:

All the Tories need to do to restart campaigning is to have a poster with pictures of May and Corbyn and a caption "Which one makes you most secure?"

Or just dig out the quote of Abbott wanting to disband the security services.
    Andrew Neil can do that.

"Mr Corbyn, do you want to disband the security services?"

"No, of course not!"

"So, you are at odds with Diane Abbot. Diane Abbot who is your Shadow Home Secretary. The person who would be in charge of national security...."

"No, she -"

"Let me quote her words, verbatim Mr Corbyn............."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PickardJE: Well placed Tory reshuffle speculation: Hammond "50 per cent" chance of staying in Treasury - could be replaced by Rudd, Green or Fallon.

@PickardJE: More Tory reshuffle rumours: Leadsom and Javid unlikely to remain in a future May cabinet. Comes with usual disclaimers.
  • Options

Unless I've missed something both have failed to tell us what they will do to prevent further attacks. As distressing as it all is it comes as no surprise but it seems neither has a clue how to respond.
    What do you think they should do?
  • Options
    E-JR-B on TMS
  • Options

I think they should tell us what they will do to prevent further attacks. One of them will be PM in a matter of weeks, unless I've missed something they're both hiding.
  • Options

I think they should tell us what they will do to prevent further attacks. One of them will be PM in a matter of weeks, unless I've missed something they're both hiding.
    One of them already is PM...
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    "We simply do not have the resources".

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_5925d9f0e4b062f96a336e5f
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    yay
  • Options
    @MrTCHarris: It's genuinely scary to think these idiots actually have a vote. (H/T @MsPerson) https://twitter.com/MsPerson/status/867470981744480256/photo/1
  • Options
    Theresa May’s Police Cuts Exposed By Manchester Bombing Army Deployment - Police Federation
    After 20,000 jobs lost, ‘we simply do not have the resources’
  • Options
    That was a convincing win for England after an early wobble.

Is Eoin Morgan an honorary member of the Conservative party (despite being Irish)?
  • Options
    Some 20,000 police jobs have been cut since the Conservatives came to power in 2010 and budgets slashed by around 4% every year when May was Home Secretary.
  • Options
    Rooney coming on for last few minutes
  • Options
    Well done Man. Utd.
  • Options
    Well keep the Red Flag flying high belting out.

Is that allowed?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

If you say how you will prevent attacks, you tell the terrorists some ways in which they would otherwise have been stopped.

Careless Talk costs lives and stating what is being done is careless talk...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I'm not sure the Tories will go for that now, but they don't really need to. The Sun and the Mail will do it for them.

I reckon by the end of the campaign, every single person eligible to vote will know, in detail, everything Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell ever said and did.

Jason said:

The Sun and the Mail doing it for them is the story of British political discourse.

Ideal time for Labour to respond to Mail with the 'Adolf Hitler's favourite British newspaper' jibe.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

Some 20,000 police jobs have been cut since the Conservatives came to power in 2010 and budgets slashed by around 4% every year when May was Home Secretary.

It's almost as if the previous Government spent more money than they should have done...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    The council writes... "Dear [me]. I'm writing to let you know that your recent application to be added to the electoral register has been successful. You will be added to the Register on 1 June 2017 unless there is an election before that date"

Do they know something I don't?!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Theresa May’s Police Cuts Exposed By Manchester Bombing Army Deployment - Police Federation

Vote Labour & shut us down completely?
  • Options
    eek said:

If you say how you will prevent attacks, you tell the terrorists some ways in which they would otherwise have been stopped.

Good point, lets just throw our hands in the air.

Meanwhile the electorate wants to know how we can stop nutters murdering our children and who would be the best person to run the country right now.

Neither, is my conclusion.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: And apparently the three Brexiteers - Fox, Boris, Davis - all pretty safe for now
  • Options
    Andy Burnham‏ @AndyBurnhamGM 9m9 minutes ago
    More
    Manchester United. Tonight more than ever.
  • Options

How many of that 20,000 were beat coppers?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

The police federation are talking through their arse. 20 000 extra police wouldn't change where we are one iota right now.

1. Most high value target watch isn't done by the cops, its done by MI5

2. There haven't been any significant cuts in Islamic extremist terror policing

3. We require skilled armed people on the street and a 20 year old squaddie probably has more experience of wielding a full calibre weapon than most of those in the supposed 20 000 lost jobs.

The threat is clear. Evidence has led to a deduction that more than one bomb may have been built but, if there is they haven't found them. This is why they are on the street. If you had 20 000 cops extra, the army would still be on the street.

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

What are you talking about
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

eek said:

Meanwhile the electorate wants to know how we can stop nutters murdering our children and who would be the best person to run the country right now.

How do you prevent attacks? Surveillance, intelligence, and the use of informants. The security forces have been pretty good at preventing attacks.
  • Options

eek said:

Well you're free to choose whoever is standing in your constituency. And if you don't think they're good enough stump up £500, and run yourself.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited May 2017
    Just as a note. The UK authorities are far from convinced by the direct IS link at the moment, which may give one reason why Abedi was not homed in on to a higher level.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    @Justin124

Actually The Daily Mirror was Hitler's favourite paper, and well they are now supporting Corbyn, coincidence? I think not.

What is less well known......The Daily Mirror was just as pro-fascist. On Monday, 22 January, 1934 the Mirror ran the headline "Give the Blackshirts a helping hand". The paper went one further than the Mail, urging readers to join Mosley's British Union of Fascists, and giving the address to which to send membership applications.

"As a purely British organisation, the Blackshirts will respect those principles of tolerance which are traditional in British politics," the Mirror told readers, complaining that "timid alarmists" had "been whimpering that the rapid growth in numbers of the British Blackshirts is preparing the way for a system of rulership by means of steel whips and concentration camps".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/revealed-the-fascist-past-of-the-daily-mirror-77871.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Even if they were, beat coppers have very little to do counter-terrorism.

Crime rates have dropped sharply over the past decade, hence the reduction in police numbers.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD thanks for the reply on the previous thread - appreciated.

I'm wondering why it (2nd pref to fptp) is in the manifesto. It raises issues on voting systems which will be debated again and which for the time being were completely dead and for types of elections where it is pretty impossible to put up an argument for fptp.

Just asking for trouble where none was present.

Yes, I was quite surprised it was included. Perhaps the view is that all elections should be conducted using the same voting system?
    Reply to Philip as well who made the same point as Rob:

But it won't will it. We will still have STV and Constituencies with top ups (although neither in England). Guess we have got rid of lists by default.

I have to say (personal view point) that the experiment with these systems seemed designed to fail by bringing in the worst possible types. 2nd preference seemed to be have a go at PR and then change your mind after the first round and resort to fptp, which to me seems odd and lists are just awful for so many reasons.
    Until recently since Labour started meddling with different voting systems we've had FPTP (historical, Westminster), PR (European Parliament) and Secondary Vote (Mayors), with a rejected referendum to change to AV. People are getting in the habit of having different voting systems. Voting systems is not just the preserve of cranks but instead discussed every time one of those votes happens.

In England at least PR is set to be abolished by removing the European Parliament elections, now Secondary Vote is being abolished. The only habitual voting system that about 90% of the UK will have is FPTP. Voting systems is going to be a discussion for eccentrics and the minor nations.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Well you're free to choose whoever is standing in your constituency. And if you don't think they're good enough stump up £500, and run yourself.
    Tad late for that isn't it?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

I'm wondering why it (2nd pref to fptp) is in the manifesto. It raises issues on voting systems which will be debated again and which for the time being were completely dead and for types of elections where it is pretty impossible to put up an argument for fptp.

Yes, I was quite surprised it was included. Perhaps the view is that all elections should be conducted using the same voting system?

But it won't will it. We will still have STV and Constituencies with top ups (although neither in England). Guess we have got rid of lists by default.

I have to say (personal view point) that the experiment with these systems seemed designed to fail by bringing in the worst possible types. 2nd preference seemed to be have a go at PR and then change your mind after the first round and resort to fptp, which to me seems odd and lists are just awful for so many reasons.
    Until recently since Labour started meddling with different voting systems we've had FPTP (historical, Westminster), PR (European Parliament) and Secondary Vote (Mayors), with a rejected referendum to change to AV. People are getting in the habit of having different voting systems. Voting systems is not just the preserve of cranks but instead discussed every time one of those votes happens.

In England at least PR is set to be abolished by removing the European Parliament elections, now Secondary Vote is being abolished. The only habitual voting system that about 90% of the UK will have is FPTP. Voting systems is going to be a discussion for eccentrics and the minor nations.
    Northern Ireland has had STV for local elections for a very long time. Possibly from its creation or very soon after, although ICBW on that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2017
    justin124 said:

Ideal time for Labour to respond to Mail with the 'Adolf Hitler's favourite British newspaper' jibe.

Sure, because why wouldn't they want the Mail to come back with the response that that is so twattish, even the Guardian realises it is twattish, and btw and while we've got you in the studio, are there any issues on which large numbers of Labour party members would have seen eye to eye with good old Adolf?

Any issues at all?

edit to add https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

One of two options may not seem a very good choice. It doesn't necessarily follow that the second option is a better choice; it could be even worse.

In the middle of a GE campaign, a statement like that from a union like the Police Federation is not simply putting pressure on Mrs May to increase police funding. It is offering the cuts as a reason not to vote for her party.

It follows therefore that the Police Federation would prefer Ms Abbott as Home Secretary: a lady who has said she wants the British state to be defeated.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

justin124 said:

Sure, because why wouldn't they want the Mail to come back with the response that that is so twattish, even the Guardian realises it is twattish, and btw and while we've got you in the studio, are there any issues on which large numbers of Labour party members would have seen eye to eye with good old Adolf?

Any issues at all?

edit to add https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley
    It was the Corbyn-supporting Daily Mirror which published an infamous article in January 1934, headlined "Give the Blackshirts a helping hand."
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/NickKehoeTV/status/867313187246542848

Also applies to Army,RN,RAF,NHS, Border Service, Fire Service

All while threat was severe
  • Options

Remember Labour increasing Police numbers sustainably with an even budget that wasn't in deficit?

No, me neither.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Ishmael_Z said:

justin124 said:

Any issues at all?

I am sure the Mail would be delighted to be labelled as a non-mainstream newspaper of the Extreme Right - fairly close to the Volkischer Beobachter though perhaps slightly to the left of Der Sturmer.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

And? Are you somehow implying if it was not for the reductions, the attack wouldn't have happened?
  • Options

When funding was much higher we had the London tube bombings, and when would chucking money at the armed forces have stopped terrorism?
    Counter terrorism is concentrated on the intelligence services, the police are just there for the raids.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Northern Ireland has had STV for local elections for a very long time. Possibly from its creation or very soon after, although ICBW on that.
    That's why I mentioned (with no disrespect intended) the devolved nations at the end of my post. But the devolved nations are different.

England and English voters will have one system not a plethora of them.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,367
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

One of two options may not seem a very good choice. It doesn't necessarily follow that the second option is a better choice; it could be even worse.

In the middle of a GE campaign, a statement like that from a union like the Police Federation is not simply putting pressure on Mrs May to increase police funding. It is offering the cuts as a reason not to vote for her party.

It follows therefore that the Police Federation would prefer Ms Abbott as Home Secretary: a lady who has said she wants the British state to be defeated.
    In his autobiography, Tony Blair described the Police Staff Federation as the strongest and most well organised trade union in the country.

I doubt it would give any Home Secretary an easy time.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

I don't think the Tories will mind if Labour wants to fight the election on defence and security.

• Options

Remember Labour increasing Police numbers sustainably with an even budget that wasn't in deficit?

No, me neither.
    Well they did up to 2008
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited May 2017
    bigjohnowls is willing to pound the pavement to drum up support a bunch of terrorist sympathizers, Marxists, Communists, Antisemites and holocaust deniers and willing to lie to peoples faces about losing their homes....when most sensible Labour posters on here are utterly appalled by Team Twat and just pray to be able to get the sensible decent party they support back.
  • Options

No, me neither.
    Well they did up to 2008
    There was no deficit before 2008?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628

No, me neither.
    Well they did up to 2008
    You seem to be knowledgeable about police numbers.

What were the police numbers in 2005? and How many terrorist attacks happened in the UK?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078
    Well said Mike.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078

Was she not right?
  • Options
    @samgadjones: Upshot of a few conversations in past hour: UK security types are astonished about US leaks over Manchester.

@samgadjones: Genuine concerns that the details getting out there will impede investigations and could endanger British lives.

@samgadjones: Some in Whitehall are discussing possibility of not sharing everything with the US. A remarkable departure from years of CT work post 9/11
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@samgadjones: Upshot of a few conversations in past hour: UK security types are astonished about US leaks over Manchester.

@samgadjones: Genuine concerns that the details getting out there will impede investigations and could endanger British lives.

@samgadjones: Some in Whitehall are discussing possibility of not sharing everything with the US. A remarkable departure from years of CT work post 9/11

And we were worried about Trump and his big mouth....
  • Options

Apparently he blurted out more secrets at the Vatican today
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Here's a very relevant modern-day dilemma, PB

I have a Muslim dry-cleaner, here in Camden. The patriarch and his sons run the shop, sometimes I see the daughters helping out. They've always been quite amiable, but they always maintain a distance. They aren't chatty. There is perhaps a hint of disdain for the Kaffir clientele, but that could just be me being paranoid. They clean my shirts very well. We all smile politely.

ANYWAY in recent months the family has changed. One of the sons has grown a VERY long beard and now dresses traditionally. He doesn't talk to me or any customers any more. The cowed and obedient daughters have disappeared entirely. Sometimes when I walk in the patriarch is playing videos on his iPhone which sound - to my ears - like ranting preachers. But it is in Arabic so I have no idea whether it is hate preaching, or just impassioned devotion. He hastily turns it off when I walk in.

Clearly this family has become more conservatively religious. But are they showing signs of being radicalised? My British instinct, my London instinct, is to shrug my shoulders and let them get on with their lives. Live and let live.

But what if that is wrong thing to do? Maybe I should mention to the police that this family is worth watching? Or is that a ludicrous waste of police time, and a betrayal of a perfectly respectable Muslim family who work hard and pay their taxes and are always polite?

What would you do?

Report the son to the authorities, you don't need to let the family know you did so. But the spooks need to get him on their watch list it sounds to me - the pros can handle things after you've reported your suspicions.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    SeanT said:

I have a Muslim dry-cleaner, here in Camden. The patriarch and his sons run the shop, sometimes I see the daughters helping out. They've always been quite amiable, but they always maintain a distance. They aren't chatty. There is perhaps a hint of disdain for the Kaffir clientele, but that could just be me being paranoid. They clean my shirts very well. We all smile politely.

ANYWAY in recent months the family has changed. One of the sons has grown a VERY long beard and now dresses traditionally. He doesn't talk to me or any customers any more. The cowed and obedient daughters have disappeared entirely. Sometimes when I walk in the patriarch is playing videos on his iPhone which sound - to my ears - like ranting preachers. But it is in Arabic so I have no idea whether it is hate preaching, or just impassioned devotion. He hastily turns it off when I walk in.

Clearly this family has become more conservatively religious. But are they showing signs of being radicalised? My British instinct, my London instinct, is to shrug my shoulders and let them get on with their lives. Live and let live.

But what if that is wrong thing to do? Maybe I should mention to the police that this family is worth watching? Or is that a ludicrous waste of police time, and a betrayal of a perfectly respectable Muslim family who work hard and pay their taxes and are always polite?

What would you do?

If you have suspicions you should report them.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Apparently he blurted out more secrets at the Vatican today
    Isn't that what you are supposed to do a confession?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314

Ishmael_Z said:

justin124 said:

Any issues at all?

It was the Corbyn-supporting Daily Mirror which published an infamous article in January 1934, headlined "Give the Blackshirts a helping hand."
    That's because at that point it was owned by the same fascist that owned the Mail. If eg Rupe owned the Mirror now, it would doubtless be crawling up the arse of whichever ghastly politician he required it to.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Sean_F said:

Even if they were, beat coppers have very little to do counter-terrorism.

Crime rates have dropped sharply over the past decade, hence the reduction in police numbers.
    We should measure outputs, not inputs - the effectiveness of the police is not related to how many people are employed by them. It's been twelve years since the bastards last got us, and they only have to succeed once while we have to succeed every time.

Well done to those who keep us safe, and shame on whichever idiot at the Police Federation thought that making terrorism into a political point was a good idea.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    SeanT said:

What would you do?

Report it.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

When funding was much higher we had the London tube bombings, and when would chucking money at the armed forces have stopped terrorism?
    Counter terrorism is concentrated on the intelligence services, the police are just there for the raids.
    That's not fair. As I laid out up thread, you're quite right that the "cuts" haven't affected CT policing (and mostly just helped rationalise away back office jobs that never should have been unformed or were replicated in neighbouring forces) but this week of all weeks we should recognise the hard work and professionalism of the Met Counter Terrorism Command and the important role of many national police forces in preventing terror plots over the years.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    Scott_P said:

HMG should express those concerns loudly and publicly.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/867490853320892416

As they say, the security services have to be right every time, they only have to get lucky once. It was only 2-3 weeks ago that they took down somebody in the middle of London, who appeared to be on his way to carry on an attack and we were saying how great they are.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What would you do?

Interesting. 99% of me is inclined the other way. What business is it of mine what they believe? They are unfailingly polite. They've done nothing to annoy or harm or even irritate me. It seems and feels wrong to report any of them. I also have no concrete eye-witness evidence of anything.

And yet, after Manchester...

Hmm.
    That's why we have the security services to make these judgements for us. I guess the only thing you should be worried about is would it be adding an unnecessary burden on them to investigate your concerns.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

HaroldO said:

That's not fair. As I laid out up thread, you're quite right that the "cuts" haven't affected CT policing (and mostly just helped rationalise away back office jobs that never should have been unformed or were replicated in neighbouring forces) but this week of all weeks we should recognise the hard work and professionalism of the Met Counter Terrorism Command and the important role of many national police forces in preventing terror plots over the years.
    Good point, I retract. I got carried away in my dislike of the idea that just chucking money at the situation would have stopped the bombing.
    It is very, very difficult to stop terrorist attacks that have any element of sophistication.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

What would you do?

Ultimately that's why we have a number you can call. If they only get you reporting what you've laid out there, they will do nothing. But if someone has also reported the daughters missing from school, or the shop owner takes an interest in a broader range of chemicals than could be used for dry cleaning, etc. etc. then all of those intelligence points will be put together and someone may have a look.

So if you think it feels wrong, report it.
  • Options
    isam said:

twitter.com/godfreyelfwick/status/867375268398235649

Nonsense. If there is a intelligence suggesting there is a real threat should we do nothing?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I guess the only thing you should be worried about is would it be adding an unnecessary burden on them to investigate your concerns.

Except he isn't. This is their job. We all need to be vigilant.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    SeanT said:

What would you do?

Nothing. Your instincts are right. Even if he IS listening to hate preaching, of which you have no real evidence, it's perfectly legal to listen to anything he wants so long as he doesn't take violent action. The police don't have time to watch everyone who sits around in between customers looking at videos. And if he's merely doing the equivalent of watching Songs of Praise, it's unreasonable to hassle him about it or even to expect him to be chatty. He's a dry cleaner, not a taxi-driver.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    Well said Mike.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

twitter.com/godfreyelfwick/status/867375268398235649

Nonsense. If there is a intelligence suggesting there is a real threat should we do nothing?
    It's that or arm the police completely, which creates a long term change in the way we are policed rather than a short term one of troops on the streets.
  • Options

No, me neither.
    Well they did up to 2008
    You seem to need to understand the concept of "sustainable". HINT: Labour and sustainable are never on speaking terms.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

ab195 said:

HaroldO said:

Good point, I retract. I got carried away in my dislike of the idea that just chucking money at the situation would have stopped the bombing.
    It is very, very difficult to stop terrorist attacks that have any element of sophistication.
    So if the tone was patronising by the way, it's so hard to judge written down.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

What would you do?

Call it in.

It's like all those ads on the Tube telling you if you see anything suspicious, report it. They aren't kidding.

Chances are they are doing nothing wrong, Ask yourself if you could live with the consequences if they are.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,011

SeanT said:

What would you do?

Nothing. Your instincts are right. Even if he IS listening to hate preaching, of which you have no real evidence, it's perfectly legal to listen to anything he wants so long as he doesn't take violent action. The police don't have time to watch everyone who sits around in between customers looking at videos. And if he's merely doing the equivalent of watching Songs of Praise, it's unreasonable to hassle him about it or even to expect him to be chatty. He's a dry cleaner, not a taxi-driver.

I was 50/50 but that's convinced me

Grass him up @SeanT
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/24/theresa-may-to-tackle-donald-trump-over-manchester-bombing-evidence

Good. But she should publicly condemn the leak. Especially the leak of the name so early in the investigation.

From their live blog, a Whitehall source:

We are furious. This is completely unacceptable. These images leaked from inside the US system will be distressing for victims, their families and the wider public. The issue is being raised at every relevant level by the British authorities with their US counterparts.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

HaroldO said:

ab195 said:

HaroldO said:

So if the tone was patronising by the way, it's so hard to judge written down.
    Nope, you were quite correct. Carry on.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    So...a big incident between Britain and the US. And the BBC reports the response from the mayor of Manchester. I don't want to hear the damned mayor of Manchester. I want to hear mophead Johnson. Where is he? Might awarding him too much exposure damage Tory election chances? Or does his US citizenship give him a conflict of interest?

Seems that the publication of the photos in the NYT was designed to swamp the earlier naming issue.

I withdraw my support for Theresa May's decision to give an increased role to the army. It's typical of the people who run Britain: in times of trouble, let's all think of the royal family. Buckingham Palace is already protected by the army, and by Israeli software. Soldiers should be sent to shopping centres, transport hubs, football matches, and other entertainment events.

Is even a single newspaper asking how Ramadan Abedi managed to get into the foyer and explode the bomb?

Who did the security? Were all the security staff SIA approved? Is there any involvement of gangsters in security at the Manchester Arena? (And is the Pope Catholic?)

Talking of Israel...while no decent person respects the right of that Nazi-style ethnic supremacist regime to exist, it has to be recognised that security at such events on territory controlled by that regime is far superior to security in Britain.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What would you do?

Interesting. 99% of me is inclined the other way. What business is it of mine what they believe? They are unfailingly polite. They've done nothing to annoy or harm or even irritate me. It seems and feels wrong to report any of them. I also have no concrete eye-witness evidence of anything.

Hmm.
    You're an author - try re-casting it into different scenarios ... say there'd been a rash of Christian fundamentalists who were bombing abortion clinics. You see signs your shopkeeper's family may be going down that route. How would you respond then?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What would you do?

Hmm.
    The mini-max regret decision method might apply here.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    Cyan said:

So...a big incident between Britain and the US. And the BBC reports the response from the mayor of Manchester. I don't want to hear the damned mayor of Manchester. I want to hear mophead Johnson. Where is he? Might awarding him too much exposure damage Tory election chances? Or does his US citizenship give him a conflict of interest?

Seems that the publication of the photos in the NYT was designed to swamp the earlier naming issue.

I withdraw my support for Theresa May's decision to give an increased role to the army. It's typical of the people who run Britain: in times of trouble, let's all think of the royal family. Buckingham Palace is already protected by the army, and by Israeli software. Soldiers should be sent to shopping centres, transport hubs, football matches, and other entertainment events.

Is even a single newspaper asking how Ramadan Abedi managed to get into the foyer and explode the bomb?

Who did the security? Were all the security staff SIA approved? Is there any involvement of gangsters in security at the Manchester Arena? (And is the Pope Catholic?)

Talking of Israel...while no decent person respects the right of that Nazi-style ethnic supremacist regime to exist, it has to be recognised that security at such events on territory controlled by that regime is far superior to security in Britain.

Rudd and Fallon have already expressed their disappointment. Suspect that will go up another notch with the release of those photos.
  • Options

SeanT said:

What would you do?

Why would Sean need to hassle him about it, not exactly the same situation - but our audit accountants have a duty to report the directors of my firm if they suspect fraud. And they can not tell us.
    Sean doesn't need to tell the son he has reported him, and in fact shouldn't. OK Its a bit snitch/behind back but the spooks might have others reporting him, they might not. Intelligence is a jigsaw and we need to help the authorities put the pieces together.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372

bigjohnowls is willing to pound the pavement to drum up support a bunch of terrorist sympathizers, Marxists, Communists, Antisemites and holocaust deniers and willing to lie to peoples faces about losing their homes....when most sensible Labour posters on here are utterly appalled by Team Twat and just pray to be able to get the sensible decent party they support back.

How do you define sensible Labour posters? Ah, people you agree with?

I'm pounding pavements for Labour too, by the way, so are thousands of perfectly decent people who don't happen to agree with you, and most of us disagree with your characterisation. What's the point of ranting at people in other parties on PB? Do you hope to persuade us? If we harangue you in turn about the wicked Tories, will we persuade you? Nah, it'll just make PB tedious.
This discussion has been closed.