Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s polling and GE2017 betting round-up

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,545
    Portugal ahead in the Jury Vote
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

With the calling of the snap General Election, I wanted to try and set out in detail my position on fracking as a whole and the INEOS application for an exploratory well at Bramleymoor Farm in Marsh Lane in particular.
    These are my own personal views which I have arrived at after a great deal of research. These views are not shared by the Labour Party nor local Labour councillors.
    I have had several meetings with the Energy Minister who is responsible for shale to discuss my concerns and spent much of Easter travelling around North Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cheshire looking at the sites where fracking is due to take place as well as some of the existing oil and gas wells that are dotted around the country.

I know how upset and worried some people are about fracking especially about health, safety, house prices and security. From visiting sites, speaking to engineers and public health experts, I have not heard, seen or read anything that convinces me that shale exploration is any more or less safe than conventional oil and gas drilling.
    Hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is a technique that has been used since the late 1940s to extract conventional oil and gas. We have had thousands of onshore oil and gas wells drilled over the decades (some of which have been fracked) and currently have over 200 wells around the country pumping quietly away with little or no concern to local residents.
    There will, without a doubt, be significant disruption during the building phase of a shale site during the clearing, rig building and initial fracking phases, and there will be more than usual heavy lorry movements carrying water and aggregate. This is the part of the development that I have most concerns about and is the subject that I am in close communication with INEOS on.

But spreading scare stories for which there is no reliable evidence about increases in cancer rates and low-birth-weight babies is unforgiveable. I have not seen credible evidence to
    If it creates a whole new industry with good jobs, if it is good for Derbyshire, then I support it.
    Our next step has to be setting up a strong Community Liaison Group to negotiate with INEOS
    If shale exploration is going to happen, let’s make sure that we get the most out of it.
    NATASCHA ENGEL
    Labour Party Parliamentary candidate

Suicide note from NE Derbyshire Lab candidate
    Too reasonable for Corbyn's Labour?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    edited May 2017

Certain Tory fain IMO

I can't begin to describe just how toast Engel is.
  • Options
    1 point from Greece
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

With the calling of the snap General Election, I wanted to try and set out in detail my position on fracking as a whole and the INEOS application for an exploratory well at Bramleymoor Farm in Marsh Lane in particular.
    These are my own personal views which I have arrived at after a great deal of research. These views are not shared by the Labour Party nor local Labour councillors.
    e

Have to appreciate someone not attempting to roll back on their views for the sake of electoral advantage - which can be tried sometimes very laughably.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,763
    Isn't it gratifying that the whole of Europe communicates in English.
  • Options
    6 from Estonia
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

Isn't it gratifying that the whole of Europe communicates in English.

I wonder if Juncker is watching
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Financial news. Apparently the new £1 coins were designed so that you can use a spanner to prise them out of a Yorkshireman's hand.

Good luck with that :-)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    RobD said:

Interesting, thanks for the link.

On a similar topic, yesterday we were talking about how the UKIP vote share fall in different councils was related to the Tory vote share rise. Here's a quick table I put together showing it - https://goo.gl/l4Ye3f

Ratio of 100% is where the Con rise exactly matches the UKIP fall. 50% means the rise in Con was only equal to half of the fall of UKIP.
    Interesting.

The Conservatives bigger gains tending to be in the Midlands and North.

Nottinghamshire is the exception but I think there were some Conservative backed Independents there.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Prodicus said:

I have had several meetings with the Energy Minister who is responsible for shale to discuss my concerns and spent much of Easter travelling around North Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cheshire looking at the sites where fracking is due to take place as well as some of the existing oil and gas wells that are dotted around the country.

I know how upset and worried some people are about fracking especially about health, safety, house prices and security. From visiting sites, speaking to engineers and public health experts, I have not heard, seen or read anything that convinces me that shale exploration is any more or less safe than conventional oil and gas drilling.
    Hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is a technique that has been used since the late 1940s to extract conventional oil and gas. We have had thousands of onshore oil and gas wells drilled over the decades (some of which have been fracked) and currently have over 200 wells around the country pumping quietly away with little or no concern to local residents.
    There will, without a doubt, be significant disruption during the building phase of a shale site during the clearing, rig building and initial fracking phases, and there will be more than usual heavy lorry movements carrying water and aggregate. This is the part of the development that I have most concerns about and is the subject that I am in close communication with INEOS on.

But spreading scare stories for which there is no reliable evidence about increases in cancer rates and low-birth-weight babies is unforgiveable. I have not seen credible evidence to
    If it creates a whole new industry with good jobs, if it is good for Derbyshire, then I support it.
    Our next step has to be setting up a strong Community Liaison Group to negotiate with INEOS
    If shale exploration is going to happen, let’s make sure that we get the most out of it.
    NATASCHA ENGEL

You would welcome fracking in your back yard?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm laughing at 5% of Ukippers being in the hard Remain column.

Takes all sorts.
    Cognitive dissonance is alive and well.

Also having looked at Eoin Clarke's twitter, he's so far gone it's unreal.
    I hope he keeps it together well enough to post his despair should the Tories win a huge majority. I don't even want them to have a huge majority as such, but some people act in a manner where I feel enjoying their grief at a political event is ok.
    Twitter will really be something to behold on June 8th.

You know, twitter really had me side-eyeing aspects of the Left in this country. Totally delusional - they even complain about people wanting the Labour leader to be electable.
  • Options
    4 points from Armenia
  • Options
    kle4 said:

e

Have to appreciate someone not attempting to roll back on their views for the sake of electoral advantage - which can be tried sometimes very laughably.
    She was/is a member of "Eckington against Fracking" though...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,663

I'd welcome fracking anywhere, oh you said fracking.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    edited May 2017

Prodicus said:

NATASCHA ENGEL

Yup. Let's get free of Mid East oil.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    we better get 12 points from th aussie's...wait what am I saying..they'll give us 0
  • Options

Prodicus said:

With the calling of the snap General Election, I wanted to try and set out in detail my position on fracking as a whole and the INEOS application for an exploratory well at Bramleymoor Farm in idate

I think, having seen entire campaigns from anti-frakkers, that they are masters of persistence and energy, but also of cherry picking details and overdoing the risks, to the point that if applications appeared in my area, I would now find it harder to object, even though I would not want it to happen, which is their driving force, because not wanting it is not enough on its own.
  • Options
    Strange intermission :lol:
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Australia were 109 points ahead after jury vote last year and got turned over.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Prodicus said:

NATASCHA ENGEL

Definitely. It's the way forward now that Scotland has run out.
  • Options
    Their song is so rubbish.

There is literally no accounting for taste. Sweden's song was the best.

Meanwhile Germany are doing badly (again).

• Options

I'd welcome fracking anywhere, oh you said fracking.
    Digging :lol:
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Yes. There is quite a substantial oilfield in West Sussex that has been exploited for a fair while now and it is so unobtrusive not many people even know that it is there. Whatever disruption is caused during the construction phase cannot be any worse than the builders lorries that currently blight our lives.
  • Options
    12 points from the Aussies :lol:
  • Options
    AUSTRALIA YAAAAS!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065
    Barnesian said:

The Tory strategy is not going to plan.

It appears to be:
    1.Make it personal - May v. Corbyn
    2. Keep quiet or equivocal about specific policies.

Although May outshines Corbyn, she only has a downside as she is exposed to be somewhat robotic, secretive, untrustworthy and not very competent or likeable. Corbyn, on the other hand, can only go up as he gets more TV exposure as a decent, likable open fellow with popular policies and not at all as portrayed in the right wing newspapers.

He has a very long way to go and won't catch up with her but he's narrowing the gap. That's the dynamic.

Crossover in the first week of June is now guaranteed. My freude will be exquisitly schade.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,113
    Australia! Commonwealth bros!
  • Options
    First 12 points, next a free trade deal!
  • Options
    Yay for Australia!
  • Options

12 points from the Aussies :lol:

And people say the anglosphere is a dumb concept.
  • Options
    We need more commonwealth realms in Eurovision. :p
  • Options
    6 from Germany
  • Options

First 12 points, next a free trade deal!

I fear this was their gift to us to let us down on the trade deal front. Sorry, it'll take awhile, here's twelve points in the meantime.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

The Anglosphere strikes back.

It's ok the USA joins in about now applies overwhelming force to this European mess gives us 500 points and we all go home.
  • Options
    I hope they redo that 'exiting eurovision' poll from earlier.

• Options
    RobD said:

We need more commonwealth realms in Eurovision. :p

...and fewer European countries.
    Especially the made-up ones.
  • Options
    5 from Holland
  • Options
    nunu said:

we better get 12 points from the aussie's...wait what am I saying..they'll give us 0

Oh good they didn't let me down!

Can we have Canada and New Zealand in the next Eurovision please!

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,210
    welshowl said:

It's ok the USA joins in about now applies overwhelming force to this European mess gives us 500 points and we all go home.
    Americans would never get this kind of Eurotrash culture in the way the Aussies do.
  • Options
    NO POINTS from Ireland
  • Options
    Definitely impose a hard border!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RobD said:

Interesting, thanks for the link.

On a similar topic, yesterday we were talking about how the UKIP vote share fall in different councils was related to the Tory vote share rise. Here's a quick table I put together showing it - https://goo.gl/l4Ye3f

Ratio of 100% is where the Con rise exactly matches the UKIP fall. 50% means the rise in Con was only equal to half of the fall of UKIP.
    I have finished your spreadsheet by calculating the ratio of the totals. It is 78.74%, very similar to most people's assumption of 75% or 80%.

However, as with Simpson's paradox, quoted by Fisher, the net effect for the Tories is not much different if UKIP does not put up a candidate.
  • Options
    Hard border it is.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    edited May 2017
    AndyJS said:

This has got to be the most boring election since 2001. Thanks, Corbyn and McDonnell.

You're kidding, right? It's brilliant :smiley:
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

Americans would never get this kind of Eurotrash culture in the way the Aussies do.
    Sensible them.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

welshowl said:

but would elect Trump.....strange country.
  • Options
    5 from Cyprus
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

e

She was/is a member of "Eckington against Fracking" though...
    Oh well its a lose lose then.
  • Options

NO POINTS from Ireland

The devils! Playing hardball are they?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I have every faith the people of Europe will stick two fingers up to these elite juries and vote en masse for bulgaria rather than that boring Portuguese song.
  • Options
    Bound to be a few shy Tories in that audience no matter where it is, got ~ 28% in blimmin' Clay Cross South at the locals xD
  • Options
    3 from Hungary
  • Options
    10 from SLOVENIA!
  • Options
    2 from Belgium!!
  • Options

I have every faith the people of Europe will stick two fingers up to these elite juries and vote en masse for bulgaria rather than that boring Portuguese song.

Made a small lay of Portugal at 1.16 (£3.02/19.02).

As you point out its far from over. Bold to pile money on the favourite at this stage with the voting system
  • Options
    5 from Poland
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Jesus...the points scoring is almost as boring as watching ladies cricket (not that I have watched it mind)
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jesus...the points scoring is almost as boring as watching ladies cricket (not that I have watched it mind)

Nah its good cos there is a huge wild card at the end.
  • Options
    5 from the Czechs
  • Options
    99 points for UK from the Juries
  • Options
    This points system is rubbish.
  • Options
    Ukraine turned over a bigger lead to win last year
  • Options
    This is taking longer than an STV count.
  • Options
    111 including phone vote
  • Options
    The dagos are still last, which is good.
    Zero would have been better but never mind.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,100
    edited May 2017

With the calling of the snap General Election, I wanted to try and set out in detail my position on fracking as a whole and the INEOS application for an exploratory well at Bramleymoor Farm in Marsh Lane in particular...

[snip]

...If it creates a whole new industry with good jobs, if it is good for Derbyshire, then I support it. Our next step has to be setting up a strong Community Liaison Group to negotiate with INEOS
    NATASCHA ENGEL

Bloody good for her. Restores my faith in British politics.

• Options
    So which country have the Russian hackers decided should win?
  • Options
    Portugal win!
  • Options
    England's oldest ally wins.

Still think they were shite.
  • Options
    Don't understand Eurovision at all
  • Options
    Oh well. Bulgaria and Moldova e/w might keep me in the black.
  • Options
    Well at least the UK is in the same time zone as the winner.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    £25 profit from in-play trading. I'll take that.
  • Options

Prior to Brexit, it was the only acceptable way to laugh at Europeans.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited May 2017
    12 points for the UK from the whole of Europe in the televote is a joke.
  • Options

Team building by shared humiliation, tactic as old as time.
  • Options
    A victory for music? Seriously fuck off.
  • Options
    Which was the last country to be reigning euro footy champions and Eurovision winners at same time? (This isn't a quiz. I have no clue!)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

With the calling of the snap General Election, I wanted to try and set out in detail my position on fracking as a whole and the INEOS application for an exploratory well at Bramleymoor Farm in Marsh Lane in particular...

[snip]

...If it creates a whole new industry with good jobs, if it is good for Derbyshire, then I support it. Our next step has to be setting up a strong Community Liaison Group to negotiate with INEOS
    NATASCHA ENGEL

Just a shame that human beings have proven yet again that we are the worst kind of destructive, self serving polluting vermin....you couldn't make up how profoundly damaging we are to all other species on our planet
  • Options

And when he's finished fucking off he can start again with the fucking off.
  • Options
    Artist said:

12 points from the whole of Europe in the televote is a joke.

Think about how Germany and Spain must feel.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    Portugal? Pfft. Don't really understand. Rubbish song.
  • Options
    And back to politics...
  • Options
    Both my sober bets won. My 4 tonight failed. Twas always the way.....
  • Options

Which was the last country to be reigning euro footy champions and Eurovision winners at same time? (This isn't a quiz. I have no clue!)

Greece 2005
  • Options
    tyson said:

viewcode said:

[snip]

NATASCHA ENGEL

Just a shame that human beings have proven yet again that we are the worst kind of destructive, self serving polluting vermin....you couldn't make up how profoundly damaging we are to all other species on our planet
    Up to you if you choose to describe yourself as destructive self serving polluting vermin but you can leave the "we" out of it.
  • Options
    My 13 year old son seems to have placed a £3 on bet on Betfair on Bulgaria.

Who do I call ?
  • Options

Greece 2005
    That was quick. I thank you.
  • Options

Portugal? Pfft. Don't really understand. Rubbish song.

It sounds like a Christmas song......
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,210
    So Juncker was right - English is diminishing in importance. Next year everyone will sing in their own languages.
  • Options
    tyson said:

viewcode said:

[snip]

NATASCHA ENGEL

Oh come on, I don't think Eurovision is that bad.

And hey, most species are self serving, we're just the best at it. Very good survival trait.

But we also have consciences, unlike most of them. Morality is for those animals with the freedom to exercise it and still thrive. We'll get there. No time for misandry.
  • Options

Sore Loser-man :lol:
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

tyson said:

viewcode said:

[snip]

NATASCHA ENGEL

Up to you if you choose to describe yourself as destructive self serving polluting vermin but you can leave the "we" out of it.
    I see myself more as a bad boy than vermin, personally.
  • Options

Artist said:

12 points from the whole of Europe in the televote is a joke.

Think about how Germany and Spain must feel.
    Poor Angela :lol:
  • Options
    Other countries to have been concurrently Eurovision and the European Championships.

West Germany 1982

Spain 1968 (but that was only for weeks) as they the European Championships in 1964
This discussion has been closed.