Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2017 LAB leadership contest starts on June 9th whether Cor

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Eagles, be astounded if it were that high. 18-20 tops.

F1: commentary reckons VW/Audi might be joining the sport in 2021. Definitely not confirmed, but possible.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @FoxInSox

"Post Brexit more Britons will retire to Wales and the South Coast. "

Why should Brexit make the South Coast a more attractive place to retire to?

Granted we are about ten miles away from the actual seaside but we are actually thinking about moving North, probably Northumberland, because the booming population and lack of infrastructure investment is rapidly eroding the quality of life we used to enjoy. Nothing to do with Brexit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

If it had just been the NHS it might have been more of an issue. But this attack has hit systems world wide. There is an argument that head counting doctors and nurses in the NHS has resulted in other equally important aspects of the service being neglected including its software. But who is going to argue that too much money was spent on doctors?

I think Microsoft will see some serious reputational damage. While their support policy is logical on its own terms, ultimately it was their product and they failed to ensure basic protection for it.

Microsoft issued a patch for this back in March. They said at time updating the software with new fix was "critical"

https://securelist.com/blog/incidents/78351/wannacry-ransomware-used-in-widespread-attacks-all-over-the-world/
    As I say, their support policy is logical. However, Windows is no longer the must-have product. This incident will give people a good reason to go for something else than Windows.
    I can't think of anything braver than a Health Secretary who decided to migrate the NHS to Linux. Windows remains the must-have product, because 1. legacy systems 2. shortage of Linux techies 3. inertia.
    Agreed. It's not too difficult now with virtualisation to use Linux terminals for browsing and email, with legacy applications served through Citrix or similar. Would save a lot of problems of clicking on attachments, USB sticks etc. Mainly it's political will (and Microsoft lobbying/discounting) that gets in the way of a radical approach.
  • Options
    F1: Hulkenberg currently 4th fastest. If he qualified there, I'd be quite pleased (and astonished).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

I haven't hear Lord Mandleson say anything about this election so far.. Has anyone else?

"Theresa is a fighter, not a quitter!!!!"
    Morning Sunil

Have you done the Minehead to Bishops Lydeard steam railway? We had a day on it a few weeks back at their gala weekend. great fun and the technology behind the Victorian turntable is amazing. Two men can turn the train round.
    West Somerset? No, not yet, but saw the junction near Taunton. Epping Ongar has some former WSR rolling stock.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

[May] is totally focused on garnering positive headlines in the right wing press.

You must have said that about 200 times over the last week, but do you have the slightest shred of evidence for it?

Yep - all her actions since becoming PM, including a craven climb-down on self-employed NI payments after the appearance of the first uncomfortable headlines.
    You mean when she accepted that she was bound by a manifesto pledge?

I'm not convinced by your sole example.
    No pm is bound by a manifesto pledge if they think the country requires a change, and if she felt she should be bound she shouldn't have agreed to include it in the budget in first place. Since it was, I assume she thought it was a good policy. The alternative is she didn't know it was in there, which is hardly a good thing.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

Whilst the NHS are running XP, I thought the exploited vulnerability was in Word and was vulnerable on modern versions of OS.

Thought the March patch Microsoft released was for Office and not Windows to rectify this.

Incorrect. The vulnerability is in the SMB protocol, which is used for file sharing in companies. The patch issued was for all supported versions of Windows, which no longer includes Windows XP. XP shouldn't be near the internet any more, and should be blocked from USB drives and the like, which can be a source of virus attacks.
    Part of the reason that we run XP is that the hardware cannot cope with software upgrades. The NHS capital budget for replacement of machines has been raided for two years to plug acute deficits. The NHS is running on empty.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

LOL, only morons think Ruth is anything other than a great empty barrel. She will run out of animals to pose on for the tame right wing media. Southern Tories are easy pleased.

In you more reflective moments as you gaze across the hallowed crops of revered turnips, what's your considered assessment for each party MP strength from Scotland after 8th June?
    Conservative 45, Lib Dem 4, Labour 3, SNP 7
    I think @malcolmg has sent you a case of Chateau Mouton Roth-Turnip and you've polished off the lot overnight ....
    Joking aside, my best guess would be Con 10, Lib Dem 3, Labour 2, SNP 44.
    That would do just fine. Fingers crossed, though I'm still thinking closer to 50 than 40.
    Personally I think it will be something like SNP 47 Tories 9 LDs 2 Labour 1
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

[May] is totally focused on garnering positive headlines in the right wing press.

You must have said that about 200 times over the last week, but do you have the slightest shred of evidence for it?

Yep - all her actions since becoming PM, including a craven climb-down on self-employed NI payments after the appearance of the first uncomfortable headlines.

No pm is bound by a manifesto pledge if they think the country requires a change, and if she felt she should be bound she shouldn't have agreed to include it in the budget in first place. Since it was, I assume she thought it was a good policy. The alternative is she didn't know it was in there, which is hardly a good thing.
    I rather got the feeling that they thought they'd pledged not to increase NI as a whole and so reclassifying one Class to another was fine, but when people kicked up a fuss it was thought better to leave it until after the election they were already planning.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I rather got the feeling that they thought they'd pledged not to increase NI as a whole and so reclassifying one Class to another was fine, but when people kicked up a fuss it was thought better to leave it until after the election they were already planning.
    I don't know if they planned to revisit, but I agree they changed position because of the fuss, which is rather the point. Without the fuss, she wouldn't have minded appearing to not be bound by the manifesto, being accused of going against it at any rate. So she didn't really accept she was bound, which is fine by me, she u turned in the face of opposition. Which may or may not have been the better call, the motivation was political.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    surbiton said:

If we can't have Balls, then it must be Cooper.

Not because she is a woman. But definitely, the best of the bunch.

She's utterly appalling but, yes, the best of the bunch.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I agree, but the effect will now be magnified and spread across more of the country.

Here’s an English immigrant to Wales.

https://tinyurl.com/hnsx2c3

Always described as Britain’s fattest woman, “Georgia Davis, 22, from Aberdare in Wales, is known as Takeaway Princess”

Except, she is not from Aberdare. She lives in Aberdare now. She is from Gravesend. Kent Social sevices moved her to Aberdare because it is cheaper to house someone who is economically inactive in Aberdare than in Gravesend.

Here’s another English immigrant to Wales

https://tinyurl.com/p7usav6

He was placed in Wales by the probation services of England and Wales. It is much cheaper to put people like that in Machynlleth than in Leicester.

Social services in Birmingham or the probation services routinely place problem families in my home town. They are the English who live here.

It’s all nothing to do with Brexit.

• Options

@FoxInSox

Granted we are about ten miles away from the actual seaside but we are actually thinking about moving North, probably Northumberland, because the booming population and lack of infrastructure investment is rapidly eroding the quality of life we used to enjoy. Nothing to do with Brexit.

Far fewer will retire to the Costas, and the demographics of Britain will skew more quickly to the elderly.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    Supplementaries from tonight's ComRes.

[ComRes] asked the following questions.

Q. Please indicate which one party leader, in your view, best fits each of these descriptions:
    Theresa May / Jeremy Corbyn / Tim Farron / Paul Nuttall / Nicola Sturgeon [in Scotland] Don’t know

a. Best to represent Britain on the world stage
    b. Most likely to deliver improvements to the NHS
    c. Best to lead Britain’s negotiations over Brexit
    d. The one I’d most want to be stranded on a desert island with
    e. Most likely to keep Britain safe from terrorism
    f. Best to look after the interests of hard working families
    g. Most likely to raise school standards
    h. Most likely to reduce net migration to the UK

Q. Thinking about the upcoming general election on 8 June, for each of the following pairs of statements please indicate which comes closest to your opinion:

I believe Theresa May when she says she wants to try and help people who are ‘just about managing’ / I do not believe Theresa May when she says she wants to try and help people who are ‘just about managing’

Theresa May and the Conservative Party are likely to win the General Election / Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party are likely to win the General Election

I would expect to pay more tax if the Conservatives win the General Election than if Labour win it / I would expect to pay more tax if Labour win the General Election than if the Conservatives win it

I will vote for the party which I think is best for Britain / I will consider voting for a party I don't usually support to stop one party winning too large a majority

I have definitely made up my mind who I will vote for on 8 June / I have not yet made up my mind who I will vote for on 8 June
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,094
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Kippers in kilts update.

Some nascent signs that the media worm is turning with regard to Ruthy.

https://twitter.com/markmcdsnp/status/863183636262264836

Of course it's no revelation that the SCons are happy to soak up the racist bigot vote, but they've become too complacent about doing it openly. Douce Unionist folk don't want to open their breakfast newspaper to news of councillors' manhoods or loonballs calling for politicians to be taken out.

I think the people of the North East will be with dissident Skipper Buchan. Is it now illegal to criticize the partitionist occupation ?
    Retired skipper.
    Now he just spends his days posting on FB about the gays, dem Muslamics and asking people to take out Sturgeon.
    So a real Glaswegian
    He's a NE loon, but a big Rangers(newco) fan, so you could certainly say he has an affinity with a certain type of Glaswgian. Spooky how homgeneous the racist, homophobic, Islamophonic views of these people are.
    I did a job using Rangers football club. It made Muirfield look progressive. It was like a 19th century public school. All dark wood panelling with a notice board with the team sheet on it. "The following have been selected to play..."

It was shortly after they'd signed Mo Johnson and people were burning their season tickets outside the ground.
    I'm sure even your manifest talents found polishing that turd a challenge.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

LOL, only morons think Ruth is anything other than a great empty barrel. She will run out of animals to pose on for the tame right wing media. Southern Tories are easy pleased.

In you more reflective moments as you gaze across the hallowed crops of revered turnips, what's your considered assessment for each party MP strength from Scotland after 8th June?
    I think @malcolmg has sent you a case of Chateau Mouton Roth-Turnip and you've polished off the lot overnight ....
    Give or take a few here and there the evidence from 2015 and 2017 would seem to support those numbers. Unionist voters appear to be becoming more savvy as to which candidate is most likely to defeat the SNP candidate.

That said the strength of the SNP remains compelling under FPTP.
    SEANF , would you care to place some money on your mistaken idea that 15 seats will not be SNP. I see easy pickings there, but assume you will not be silly enough to back your position.
    What do you propose?
  • Options
    F1: Ferrari end P3 topping the timesheets, Mercedes right behind. Hmm.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I don't know if they planned to revisit, but I agree they changed position because of the fuss, which is rather the point. Without the fuss, she wouldn't have minded appearing to not be bound by the manifesto, being accused of going against it at any rate. So she didn't really accept she was bound, which is fine by me, she u turned in the face of opposition. Which may or may not have been the better call, the motivation was political.
    No, that's not my point. It was only because there was a fuss that they realised that their interpretation of what the manifesto said wasn't other people's interpretation. There's no evidence that, if they'd realised that before the Budget, they'd still have proposed the rate change.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2017
    Prodicus said:

surbiton said:

Are you sure she wants it? Ten years of hard slog and even then no guarantee
  • Options

I agree, but the effect will now be magnified and spread across more of the country.

Always described as Britain’s fattest woman, “Georgia Davis, 22, from Aberdare in Wales, is known as Takeaway Princess”

Except, she is not from Aberdare. She lives in Aberdare now. She is from Gravesend. Kent Social sevices moved her to Aberdare because it is cheaper to house someone who is economically inactive in Aberdare than in Gravesend.

He was placed in Wales by the probation services of England and Wales. It is much cheaper to put people like that in Machynlleth than in Leicester.

Social services in Birmingham or the probation services routinely place problem families in my home town. They are the English who live here.

It is not a problem that will be solved by Brexit, and is one that is likely to be exacerbated by it. The East coast is a similar problem area.

The challenges that we face nationwide are similar to those that Wales has had over the last 20 years. Brexit or no Brexit we have to face them, but Brexit is at best a distraction from, and at worst an exacerbating factor in that adjustment.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Give or take a few here and there the evidence from 2015 and 2017 would seem to support those numbers. Unionist voters appear to be becoming more savvy as to which candidate is most likely to defeat the SNP candidate.

SEANF , would you care to place some money on your mistaken idea that 15 seats will not be SNP. I see easy pickings there, but assume you will not be silly enough to back your position.
    What do you propose?
    I say SNP more than 44 , as per your thoughts that others would get 15. Only a sporting wager , say £20 , for a bit of fun.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

@FoxInSox

Far fewer will retire to the Costas, and the demographics of Britain will skew more quickly to the elderly.
    OK, I see now where you are coming from. Thank you. I am not sure I agree, or that even if you are correct the additional numbers will make much difference.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    GIN1138 said:

I've had an email from Malwarebytes to say I'm covered for this infection with their Premium version (if your running the Malwarebytes free edition you aren't covered)

That sounds shitty but isn't. The free version is a malware removal tool, whereas the Premium version is also an antivirus suite that scans files as you use them.

Windows Defender will detect it, if that is running, on W8 and W10. For older versions such as W7, download Microsoft Security Essentials software
  • Options
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No, that's not my point. It was only because there was a fuss that they realised that their interpretation of what the manifesto said wasn't other people's interpretation. There's no evidence that, if they'd realised that before the Budget, they'd still have proposed the rate change.
    Plenty of Tory MPs had that interpretation - if no one in May and her team realised it could be interpreted that way, they could not anticipate that, then they are just plain dumb. I think putting it down to cold political calculation not to proceed reflects better on May and her team than the other possibilities.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Prodicus said:

surbiton said:

I think we know she doesn’t want it. That is why she put little effort into her leadership bid in 2015.

I always assumed it was related to her health issues, ME.

https://tinyurl.com/5us5ylk

Someone who doesn’t want the job, and with a mixed health record, is exactly the last person who Labour should anoint via a coronation.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    PeterC said:

Prodicus said:

surbiton said:

She's ran before.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

@FoxInSox

So some rich pensioners spend their pensions and savings in Bognor, Bridlington or Berwick (HL).

And there doesn't seem to be that many who retire to the Costas in any case as there are only about 300,000 UK born people living in Spain:

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-uk-citizens-live-other-eu-countries/
  • Options

PeterC said:

Prodicus said:

surbiton said:

I think we know she doesn’t want it. That is why she put little effort into her leadership bid in 2015.

I always assumed it was related to her health issues, ME.

https://tinyurl.com/5us5ylk

Someone who doesn’t want the job, and with a mixed health record, is exactly the last person who Labour should anoint via a coronation.

Healthy enough to coin it in for many years and be a minister. They always have an excuse for their crapness.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

I haven't hear Lord Mandleson say anything about this election so far.. Has anyone else?

"Theresa is a fighter, not a quitter!!!!"
    Morning Sunil

Have you done the Minehead to Bishops Lydeard steam railway? We had a day on it a few weeks back at their gala weekend. great fun and the technology behind the Victorian turntable is amazing. Two men can turn the train round.
    West Somerset? No, not yet, but saw the junction near Taunton. Epping Ongar has some former WSR rolling stock.
    Mandelson: 'I'm intensely relaxed about being filthy rich - and I do like the EU'.

I've been looking on electoralcalculus and for what seem broadly realistic assumptions it tends to come up with a Tory majority of at least 100-110. However, need to look further at the regional swing in Wales or the W Midlands, the two regions I feel I know best.

110 is not Thatcher 1983 but is on a par with Thatcher 1987. Three years later, after a poll tax riot even in sedate Tunbridge Wells, she had to be prised out of Downing Street by her fingernails.

I wonder if May will be similarly affected by high office and a large majority ...
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    It puzzles me that Ed Balls didn't seek a safe Labour seat this time round (to the extent there's still such a thing). While Yvette has her merits Ed is a true heavyweight and someone who might have made the sainted Theresa's progress in the next parliament a little more awkward
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

What do you propose?
    I say SNP more than 44 , as per your thoughts that others would get 15. Only a sporting wager , say £20 , for a bit of fun.
    I'm happy to agree that.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

It is not a problem that will be solved by Brexit, and is one that is likely to be exacerbated by it. The East coast is a similar problem area.

The challenges that we face nationwide are similar to those that Wales has had over the last 20 years. Brexit or no Brexit we have to face them, but Brexit is at best a distraction from, and at worst an exacerbating factor in that adjustment.
    It is a problem in part caused by the EU, and freedom of movement.

London & the South East are a magnet for the young and economically mobile from the rest of the EU.

London & the South East need to export the economically inactive.

They export them partly to Wales.

With regard to the elderly, a house that can be sold for 750k in London or the South East will buy you a beautiful property overlooking the sea in Wales or Cornwall or whatever.

It is a consequence of the huge over-centralisation of economic activity in London and the SE, which is partly been driven by the EU.
  • Options
    RobC said:

It puzzles me that Ed Balls didn't seek a safe Labour seat this time round (to the extent there's still such a thing). While Yvette has her merits Ed is a true heavyweight and someone who might have made the sainted Theresa's progress in the next parliament a little more awkward

Has an even easier job than parliament , well paid and only needs to turn up for game on Saturdays with the odd midweek game. Same free scoff and bevvy as Westminster.
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: will put up the pre-qualifying article soon, but saw some odds that just seem wrong.

Raikkonen is 9.6 to win qualifying on Betfair. He's 4.5 on Ladbrokes. He's just topped third practice and has been faster than Vettel all weekend. I still think Hamilton's favourite but Raikkonen should be much shorter than 9.6.

I've set up a hedge at 3.
  • Options
    I like that the BBC Homepage headline on Watson's comments are that he warns of Thatcher-scale defeat 'for Labour'. I know if he were inexplicably predicting a Labour landslide he's probably use Blair as a metaphor, but I appreciate the headline clarifying he was not just being super optimistic.
  • Options

@FoxInSox

The numbers that retire to the Costas are pretty small as a proportion of the whole. The effect will be marginal.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

What do you propose?
    I'm happy to agree that.
    Excellent, Good luck Sean , I look forward to my easy win.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

@FoxInSox

So some rich pensioners spend their pensions and savings in Bognor, Bridlington or Berwick (HL).

And there doesn't seem to be that many who retire to the Costas in any case as there are only about 300,000 UK born people living in Spain:

A lot of pensioners spend their winters in Spain and the summers in the UK. Saves the NHS a shedload.

We are going to need more nursing staff to look after those that are no longer able to go abroad. And, of course, we are going to be paying much higher wages.

• Options

London & the South East are a magnet for the young and economically mobile form the rest of the EU.

With regard to the elderly, a house that can be sold for 750k in London or the South East will buy you a beautiful property overlooking the sea in Wales or Cornwall or whatever.

It is a consequence of the huge over-centralisation of economic activity in London and the SE, which is partly been driven by the EU.
    Agree with you except for the EU bit. It is Westminster that is pushing it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

London & the South East are a magnet for the young and economically mobile form the rest of the EU.

Agree with you except for the EU bit. It is Westminster that is pushing it.
    Partly EU, I said. I agree with you Westminster does the rest!
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    PeterC said:

Prodicus said:

surbiton said:

I would guess less than she once did, for that reason. But I think she'd accept coronation for old times' sake. And it was the plan, once. Hard to kiss it goodbye. She'd have a go. She's not a shirker imo. All futile for her, of course, but she might make a good nurse during the coming Blitz.

• Options

@FoxInSox

Far fewer will retire there in the future, and some will return. We have an increasingly ageing population and with imigration to be radically reduced will have a much worse dependency ratio.

Poorer pensioners will not be able to afford Sussex and Brighton, they will go to cheaper places like Wales, Yarmouth, Skegness, Isle of Wight etc. They are the ones likely to exhaust their savings first and need to rely on the state. Honestly, it is all pretty obvious as a trend already.

• Options
    edited May 2017

PeterC said:

Prodicus said:

surbiton said:

She's ran before.
    The immediate post 2015 scene was radically different. No hard left, no BREXIT, 230 odd MPs, Blair/Brown cabal still in charge. Post 2017 the scene will look truly appalling.
  • Options
    I see Ruth's best pal has a son who is a chip of the old block and good Tory.

Scottish trawlerman has £1m seized for role in fisheries scandal
    Ian Buchan, of Peterhead, pleaded guilty to illegally landing and selling £4.5m worth of mackerel in 'black landing' scam

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/may/18/scottish-trawlerman-fisheries-scandal-buchan
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    At least when the NHS gets that £350m from Brexit they'll be able to upgrade their operating systems...

;)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    test
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited May 2017
    Just been accosted by Conservatives in Upminster High St trying to tell me that Hx and Uppers isn't in the bag for them, and my vote is needed

I referred them to oddscheckers best price of 1/200!
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Prodicus said:

PeterC said:

Prodicus said:

surbiton said:

I would guess less than she once did, for that reason. But I think she'd accept coronation for old times' sake. And it was the plan, once. Hard to kiss it goodbye. She'd have a go. She's not a shirker imo. All futile for her, of course, but she might make a good nurse during the coming Blitz.

Cyberblitz you mean...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@FoxInSox

The numbers that retire to the Costas are pretty small as a proportion of the whole. The effect will be marginal.

Lots of marginal effects add up. And leaving the EU will have lots and lots of marginal effects. As well as some very big ones potentially.
  • Options
    Oh my, I've been let back in. :)
  • Options

@FoxInSox

Far fewer will retire there in the future, and some will return. We have an increasingly ageing population and with imigration to be radically reduced will have a much worse dependency ratio.

Poorer pensioners will not be able to afford Sussex and Brighton, they will go to cheaper places like Wales, Yarmouth, Skegness, Isle of Wight etc. They are the ones likely to exhaust their savings first and need to rely on the state. Honestly, it is all pretty obvious as a trend already.

And we will be paying much higher salaries to carers, of course.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Congrats on getting out of the sin bin. :D
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mr. K.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Whilst the NHS are running XP, I thought the exploited vulnerability was in Word and was vulnerable on modern versions of OS.

Thought the March patch Microsoft released was for Office and not Windows to rectify this.

Incorrect. The vulnerability is in the SMB protocol, which is used for file sharing in companies. The patch issued was for all supported versions of Windows, which no longer includes Windows XP. XP shouldn't be near the internet any more, and should be blocked from USB drives and the like, which can be a source of virus attacks.
    Many orgs, including the NHS have Custom Support Agreements (££££££s) in place for Windows XP, Office 2007 which provides critical and important security patches, these CSA will end in October this year.

As such, at the moment security patches are provided for XP, Office 2007 (as well as SQL2005, Windows Server 2003), it seems that for some reason they hadn't applied their patches.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

Congrats on getting out of the sin bin. :D
    Thanks Gin, but MorrisF1's blog/twitter was a life saver of sorts.
  • Options

Welcome back, Mr. K.

Do update us with your latest thinking, Mr K
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

@FoxInSox

Where in Northumberland are you thinking?
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. K, I knew my blog about medieval people evading religiously ordained dietary restrictions would help you through it.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/holy-days-and-lots-of-fish.html
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    malcolmg said:

I see Ruth's best pal has a son who is a chip of the old block and good Tory.

Scottish trawlerman has £1m seized for role in fisheries scandal
    Ian Buchan, of Peterhead, pleaded guilty to illegally landing and selling £4.5m worth of mackerel in 'black landing' scam

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/may/18/scottish-trawlerman-fisheries-scandal-buchan

Ian Buchan's a "Whisky Galore !" Scots hero.

Buchan is accused of " landing and then selling nearly £4.5m worth of mackerel in a highly sophisticated "black landing" scam to evade European fishing quotas."

Brussels should get its hands off Scotland's mackerel.
  • Options

@FoxInSox

I see. So the logic is:

1. We identify a demographic trend.

2. foxinsokuk says Brexit is the cause. (“Brexit produces a lot of challenges that have yet to hit home”). The “yet” is magnificent.

3. We point out that the trend has been in existence for 30 years, and that Brexit hasn’t happened and so can have had no effect so far.

4. foxinsokuk says “it is all pretty obvious” that Brexit will make it worse.

• Options

@FoxInSox

Poorer pensioners do not retire to Spain in any case.

And I would expect you are very much in a minority in worrying over the wealth of pensioners.

Reducing immigration can also reduce the dependency ratio - many immigrants are themselves dependent upon the state. As an example I doubt the hand car wash industry has many net tax contributors.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

Just been accosted by Conservatives in Upminster High St trying to tell me that Hx and Uppers isn't in the bag for them, and my vote is needed

EC says Tories have an 85% chance of winning.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

I've had an email from Malwarebytes to say I'm covered for this infection with their Premium version (if your running the Malwarebytes free edition you aren't covered)

That sounds shitty but isn't. The free version is a malware removal tool, whereas the Premium version is also an antivirus suite that scans files as you use them.

Windows Defender will detect it, if that is running, on W8 and W10. For older versions such as W7, download Microsoft Security Essentials software
    I have Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender for Windows 10 so I think I'm going to be OK.

Would it be worth getting a third anti-virus software at some point (thinking maybe Norton?) or should MB an WD be enough?
  • Options

@FoxInSox

A lot of pensioners spend their winters in Spain and the summers in the UK. Saves the NHS a shedload.

We are going to need more nursing staff to look after those that are no longer able to go abroad. And, of course, we are going to be paying much higher wages.

I was under the impression that the NHS got charged for that sort of expense - its an issue where the details are oddly vague.

Higher wages are good BTW.

The issue the UK has is creating enough wealth to pay for all the things we would like.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    GIN1138 said:

At least when the NHS gets that £350m from Brexit they'll be able to upgrade their operating systems...

;)

If they care to repeal the Health and Social Care Act 2012, they'll save a reported £ 3 billion per year on extra admin. and referring proposed mergers between nearby hospitals to the competition authorities. Part of that should help pay for a few new PCs.

FFS, the reason we have an NHS is to enable collaboration, not competition between institutions which are all in it together in trying to improve peoples' health or save lives.
  • Options
    Anyway, I must be off. The pre-race nonsense should be up this afternoon/evening.
  • Options

@FoxInSox

Thank God. Thank God.

Why on Earth is that not a matter of celebration? The poorest among us getting a decent wage for a difficult job.

Typical Labour ... mouthing pieties about the poor, but then God forbid we have to pay them a decent wage because of Brexit.

I will say one thing about the Labour middle-class voters. If they had worried one tiny bit as much about poverty as they have worried about the EU, Labour would not be facing an annihilation.
  • Options
    TP is in to 13/8 with Betfair.

For those who would like to help him:

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/aaron-bell-for-don-valley/?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Labour 0 , Lib Dems 1 , Tories 4 , SNP 54.
    A faint whisper of a Tory klaxon there malc .....

I'm ashamed of you !! .... :smile:
    I am in a benevolent mood today Jack.
    Morning Malc! :smiley:
  • Options

@FoxInSox

Thank God. Thank God.

Why on Earth is that not a matter of celebration? The poorest among us getting a decent wage for a difficult job.

Typical Labour ... mouthing pieties about the poor, but then God forbid we have to pay them a decent wage because of Brexit.

I will say one thing about the Labour middle-class voters. If they had worried one tiny bit as much about poverty as they have worried about the EU, Labour would not be facing an annihilation.

What makes you think I am worried about it? I can afford to pay the extra tax that will be needed to fund this.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options

@FoxInSox

Thank God. Thank God.

What makes you think I am worried about it? I can afford to pay the extra tax that will be needed to fund this.

Excellent.

But, it is true. There is a set of Labour middle-class voters who have been way more passionate about the EU than poverty.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Welcome back, Mr. K.

Do update us with your latest thinking, Mr K
    Hi, I was just on the verge of a shopping expedition, when I saw my release key. Will write my saga of 40 weeks in the wilderness later. Ceeya all.
  • Options
    isam said:

Did you point westwards towards Dagenham while you did so ?
  • Options

@FoxInSox

I was under the impression that the NHS got charged for that sort of expense - its an issue where the details are oddly vague.

The issue the UK has is creating enough wealth to pay for all the things we would like.

The direct care gets compensated, not the indirect costs. But, more to the point, pensioners are less likely to fall ill in the first place if they spend their winters in a warm climate.

As for wages, carers don't create wealth. They look after people. They either have to be paid for by the money generated by private companies or by taxes.

Brexit may or may not end up increasing the wealth-creation capacity of the UK, but if it does it will not be for a fair amount of time. How do we pay for stuff while we wait?

• Options

Mr. K, I knew my blog about medieval people evading religiously ordained dietary restrictions would help you through it.

Hilarious.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

EC says Tories have an 85% chance of winning.
    That is 2/11 in bookmaking terms and would be the best bet of the Election
  • Options

@FoxInSox

Thank God. Thank God.

Excellent.

But, it is true. There is a set of Labour middle-class voters who have been way more passionate about the EU than poverty.

It's probably a lot smaller than that set of middle class Tory voters who are much more passionate about leaving the EU than poverty.

The EU excites passions on all sides. It never used to, of course. It was all one way.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

isam said:

Did you point westwards towards Dagenham while you did so ?
    I think the same little team are doing Daggers, Uppers and Thurrock. Better employed in the other two I would say... I gave the most favourable Tory soundbite I could, said I am happy enough w Theresa May and unlikely to vote.. and that's because the Kipper candidate was slightly lairy with me in Clacton!
  • Options

Even for those rich people who kept to the rules, eating exotic fish gave them the chance to show off.

WRT your point about these rules being irrelevant to the poor, it's like the incredibly detailed sumptuary.laws on clothes and jewels. They only applied to knights, gentry, and wealthy merchants, because no one below those ranks could afford jewels, or cloth of gold or silver, or silks and furs in any case.
  • Options

@FoxInSox

The direct care gets compensated, not the indirect costs. But, more to the point, pensioners are less likely to fall ill in the first place if they spend their winters in a warm climate.

As for wages, carers don't create wealth. They look after people. They either have to be paid for by the money generated by private companies or by taxes.

Brexit may or may not end up increasing the wealth-creation capacity of the UK, but if it does it will not be for a fair amount of time. How do we pay for stuff while we wait?

We pay through the magic money tree or we could try to rebalance the economy away from the glorification of wealth consumption, rising house prices and political vanity projects.

And you're right about how wealth is created - but when was the last time a Labour politician ever mentioned wealth creation ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    calum said:
    Yes. Timely. The guy was interviewed on some of the TV news bulletins last night.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    Morning, Mr.D.
    Agree Hamilton ought to be favourite for pole.
    Fortunately for me, my much earlier punt on Ferrari for this weekend turned out OK. I thought they would dominate here, and put a reasonable amount of cash on them before practice - but Mercedes surprised me with their upgrade. Happily, Ferrari's P3 strength, and the odds of 22 I had managed to obtain on Raikkonen for pole meant I could cash out what might have been some very ugly bets (especially with Vettel's dodgy reliability).

I'm now switched my book to Mercedes for the championship (FWIW).
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    When are the next batch of polls due?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Nigelb said:

Yvette Cooper would be great news for the tories, she is insipid and bland. Its irrelevant who the leader is, the whole brand is tarnished.

And you can add to that a wooden and patronising manner.

None of which seems to have done May any harm.

Yep - the next Labour leader is not going to be facing a superstar. And the next shadow cabinet will hardly be up against a team of titans. You only have to match your opponents. By not picking from a full team Labour is not doing that at the moment. Change that and you change the whole political dynamic.

I think people underestimate May on here. Yes, she's had a lucky few months. But I think she's shown that she's tactically shrewd and has picked some smart battles to fight. She's also reenergised the party in areas that Cameron couldn't reach. Her biggest blunder - the abandoned NI rise - was an unforced error, but could probably have been ridden out if it hadn't been for the 2015 manifesto that was produced in different times and different circumstances. I appreciate that Brexit and Corbyn have been factors, but to enjoy almost year-long political honeymoon is at least partly a product of some good tactics and presentation.

She is yet to be fully tested with her own mandate, so time will tell. But this narrative that she's rubbish and it will just take a little bit more time before she's 'found out' seems to be ignoring the very real strategic successes she's enjoyed.

I don't think she is rubbish. I think she is among the cabinet's brighter stars and as such she rises to mediocre. But she lacks confidence, is leaden and is totally focused on garnering positive headlines in the right wing press.

That said, as she is going to be our PM for the next five years at least and she has to negotiate a good Brexit deal that does not leave the UK in too bad a position, I would actually like to be wrong about this. I hope that what some say about her securing her own mandate in order to face down the swivel-eyed Brexiteers turns out to be true.

CCHQ have been imposing candidates in winnable seats, and rejecting hard Brexiteers.

What is Jon Elledge's (newstatesman) problem with Dan Hannnan?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1280&bih=611&q=daniel+hannan+rejected&oq=daniel+hannan+rejected&gs_l=serp.12...0.0.0.22262.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.serp..0.0.0.mDaOZqBZgv4
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

@FoxInSox

"Carers don't create wealth"

Then who does? Hairdressers? Writers? Teachers? Bankers? Do you have to make something you can drop on your foot for it to count as making wealth?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
  • Options
    Remind me again why ever increasing population density is a good thing:

' Up to 3.6 million customers in south-east England have been told to save water, because of a lack of rainfall.

Affinity Water, which supplies parts of the home counties, north London and Kent, says many rivers in the region are low on water. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39897774

On a related note, with all the discussions about increasing pollution and traffic congestion in London isn't that inevitable when London's population has increased by two million during the last twenty years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_London
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

@FoxInSox

Thank God. Thank God.

And for anyone who can't, serve them right for being poor?

Bleeding heart socialism, donchaluvit.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The 'old' people in my family and acquaintance have been in considerably better health for much longer than the ones I remember a generation ago.

Their care needs at the same age seem to have declined dramatically.

Yes, they will go on to live longer, but do they spend proportionally more time in chronic ill health?

Maybe my family is unusual, but most have remained largely independent well into their 80s.

• Options

Remind me again why ever increasing population density is a good thing:

' Up to 3.6 million customers in south-east England have been told to save water, because of a lack of rainfall.

Affinity Water, which supplies parts of the home counties, north London and Kent, says many rivers in the region are low on water. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39897774

On a related note, with all the discussions about increasing pollution and traffic congestion in London isn't that inevitable when London's population has increased by two million during the last twenty years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_London

I think you have identified some more problems that foxinsoxuk can confidently ascribe to Brexit.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

@FoxInSox

Thank God. Thank God.

And for anyone who can't, serve them right for being poor?

Bleeding heart socialism, donchaluvit.

Well, yes: how will we pay for the higher salaries that British workers have been promised post-Brexit? People like me can and should pay more tax, but that will not be enough. So where is the rest coming from?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Would think that helps Nicola and hurts the Tories.....although having seen the UKIP man in Scotland I have my doubts....
  • Options

@FoxInSox

We pay through the magic money tree or we could try to rebalance the economy away from the glorification of wealth consumption, rising house prices and political vanity projects.

And you're right about how wealth is created - but when was the last time a Labour politician ever mentioned wealth creation ?

Yep, it was one of the reasons that people like me can't support the Labour party.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Jeremy Hunt missing in action?
  • Options
    isam said:
    Did you see the interview Andrew Niel had with the Libdem Tom Brake? He was questioning him on why Suttton (a wealthy council) has taken in 20 refugges and much poorer parts take in many many more. He really made a nonsense of Lib dem plans to bring in 50,000 more refugees.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2017

@FoxInSox

"Carers don't create wealth"

Then who does? Hairdressers? Writers? Teachers? Bankers? Do you have to make something you can drop on your foot for it to count as making wealth?
    SO showing his true colours. Carers are an unproductive element who should be paid as little as possible. He'd have made an enthusiastic slave trader in the 18th Century.
This discussion has been closed.