Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The tide is high. How many Labour MPs will be holding on after

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Yep. Should be a great subplot.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

The upside is higher for the Conservatives than the LDs and Labour. The key is the degree to which supporters of those parties are willing to vote tactically for the Tories. Something remarkable happened at the 2016 Holyrood election in Edinburgh where the SNP lost 3 out of 7 seats purely as a result of tactical voting.

I say again, look at the Tory campaign slogan

"Leading Scotland's Fightback"

Against?

It can only be the SNP. Scotland fighting back against the SNP.

Astonishing
    It's a clever slogan. The SNP always present themselves FOR Scotland and ARE Scotland.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    Pong said:

I'm not convinced Marx would be voting labour in this election.

Worried about a mansion tax?
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Pong said:

There's a decent chance he'd be arguing with other posters on PB.com, though. :)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    TOPPING said:

MTimT said:

Hurrah, I'm not the only PBer to wear (brown) loafers.

I was just thinking that he looks rather scruffy for a Tory candidate.

Still I suppose we have to make compromises in those parts.
    It is alright to wear brown shoes out of Town, isn't it? He would look better if he actually polished the things though.
    In town on Fridays, provided you are going to the country that weekend.
    Who on earth wouldn't be?!
    Doesn't it depend on the time of the year? Surely nice people would not go to the country during the Season, nor during cubbing time.

Anyway, this brown shoes on Friday was just a forerunner of "dress-down Friday" another abomination that we seem to have imported from the USA. Either a dress code matters or it doesn't, the idea that it matters for four days but not on the fifth is a nonsense.

I say is a nonsense but perhaps I should have said was a nonsense. I don't get up to Town much these days but when I do it seems that dress-down days have now been extended include from Monday to Friday.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On that Welsh polling, we are fast approaching the point where Plaid Cymru lose seats rather than gain them.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Simon Danczuk✔@SimonDanczuk

My resignation letter from the Labour Party.
    4:37 PM - 8 May 2017

Big sigh of relief from LHQ I’d have thought, he’d become the Kim Kardashian of the tabloids.

Big sigh of relief from LHQ I’d have thought, he’d become the Kim Kardashian of the tabloids.
    Why? Has he got a huge arse?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited May 2017

Is a huge arse...
  • Options
    GeoffHGeoffH Posts: 56
    It's Josef not Joseph. Interesting isn't it how high-horse indignation drowns out understanding?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

stodge said:

felix said:
    One or two on here getting a little overexcited:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-2017-liberal-democrats-paper-candidates-constituencies-tactical-voting-vince-cable-a7724276.html

Yes, the LDs will run "paper candidates", lots of them I suspect. These will be in seats where the party is a remote third, fourth or fifth and it isn't an instruction to LD supporters to vote for any party against the Conservatives. These candidates will be in both Labour and Conservative seats.

It's a recognition the party has to concentrate its limited resources on, I would guess, 50 seats where it has any kind of chance. I doubt for instance the LDs will do much campaigning in East Ham but there's a candidate selected.

Will the Conservatives do any campaigning in East Ham - if not, isn't their candidate also a "paper candidate" and, if so, what's the problem ?

This is a desperate attempt by Guido and those of his ilk to build a story out of a non-story.

Nope. Vince has blundered and handed the Tories a dream attack line.
    All parties have paper candidates.
    Each of those paper candidates, be assured, campaigns as though it is a super-marginal with everything to play for.
    Nonsense. It's absolutely commonplace in ALL parties for a no-hope candidate to be told in no uncertain terms by HQ to stop wasting their time and put in the hours in the marginal next door. Those who ignore that friendly advice are given a proper rollocking when it comes to re-approval for the candidate list post-election.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017

Not any longer, I believe they’ve separated.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    Animal_pb said:

Pong said:

There's a decent chance he'd be arguing with other posters on PB.com, though. :)
    And impressed by the general level of debate, I should think.

He would also feel gratified, I'm sure, at how many of his political recommendations put forward in the Communist Manifesto have been put into effect and in some cases simply taken as the norm now - a graduated income tax, for example.

In that sense, you could argue that we're all Marxists now.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    In 2015 UKIP had around 600 candidates that got just under 4m votes, plenty in 5 figures. This time around they'll struggle to get 100 candidates, all but a handful will effectively be paper candidates. I'd suggest an average of 2-3000 per candidate, back to roughly 2010 figures.

That leaves 3.5m + votes up for grabs, 70%+ will vote Conservative but have no idea how that converts into seats. The better informed on here will have a good idea.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    The REAL figures for ELBOW for week ending 7/5/2017 are

Con 46.88
    Lab 28.50
    LD 9.75
    UKIP 6.75

Tory lead 18.38 (+0.16)
  • Options
    GeoffH said:

It's Josef not Joseph. Interesting isn't it how high-horse indignation drowns out understanding?
    Wiki (yes, I know) disagrees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin - ф can be transliterated into Roman as either F or PH depending on circumstances.

But if you're going to be pedantic about transliteration from the Cyrillic it should start with an I anyway.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Humumgous!
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

felix said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-2017-liberal-democrats-paper-candidates-constituencies-tactical-voting-vince-cable-a7724276.html

Yes, the LDs will run "paper candidates", lots of them I suspect. These will be in seats where the party is a remote third, fourth or fifth and it isn't an instruction to LD supporters to vote for any party against the Conservatives. These candidates will be in both Labour and Conservative seats.

It's a recognition the party has to concentrate its limited resources on, I would guess, 50 seats where it has any kind of chance. I doubt for instance the LDs will do much campaigning in East Ham but there's a candidate selected.

Will the Conservatives do any campaigning in East Ham - if not, isn't their candidate also a "paper candidate" and, if so, what's the problem ?

This is a desperate attempt by Guido and those of his ilk to build a story out of a non-story.

Each of those paper candidates, be assured, campaigns as though it is a super-marginal with everything to play for.
    Nonsense. It's absolutely commonplace in ALL parties for a no-hope candidate to be told in no uncertain terms by HQ to stop wasting their time and put in the hours in the marginal next door. Those who ignore that friendly advice are given a proper rollocking when it comes to re-approval for the candidate list post-election.
    Unless, presumably, they win!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

felix said:

Not the case in my experience.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    V good of her to echo the Tory message there.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    GeoffH said:

Not necessarily. Depends how you transliterate it from Cyrillic (or Georgian, for that matter).
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Animal_pb said:

Pong said:

He would also feel gratified, I'm sure, at how many of his political recommendations put forward in the Communist Manifesto have been put into effect and in some cases simply taken as the norm now - a graduated income tax, for example.

I think it was the good Dr. Palmer, gent of this parish, who pointed out on here a couple of years back that many of Labour's ideas of the 1980s, which were then regarded anathema, have since been implemented by the Conservative as well as Labour governments.
  • Options

In 2015 UKIP had around 600 candidates that got just under 4m votes, plenty in 5 figures. This time around they'll struggle to get 100 candidates, all but a handful will effectively be paper candidates. I'd suggest an average of 2-3000 per candidate, back to roughly 2010 figures.

That leaves 3.5m + votes up for grabs, 70%+ will vote Conservative but have no idea how that converts into seats. The better informed on here will have a good idea.

I noted that for all Caroline Lucas' outrage this morning on the radio that the "progressive alliance" was under-represented, no mention was made (and I was disappointed the Today presenter didn't ask her) about UKIP.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

felix said:

In my experience there are three types of paper candidate. Those that take pride in following HQ instructions such that sometimes they never even set foot in their constituency during the campaign. Those that resign themselves to dutifully fulfilling their duties as a candidate, going to meetings and knocking on doors more or less on their own. And those that go off piste and try and run an energetic local campaign with whatever resources they can drag in from the local area.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

PB may not be the ideal place to start a symposium on the various contributions of KM to modern economic theory, but if we are going to do so, let's start from what he actually wrote, and not the Daily Mail version.

Unfortunately, Marxists have given Marx a bad name.
    Hence the oft quoted 'Je ne suis pas Marxiste!' which Karl is reported to have exclaimed when he saw some of the things being done in his name.

(No, I don't know why he said it in French. Maybe he was in France at the time.)
    This might explain it:

"“Je ne suis pas marxiste,” stated Marx, rather annoyed, to his son-in-law Paul Lafargue, when the latter reported the doings of French “Marxists.”"
    Thanks, Tim. I often wondered about the context. Now I know.

You should be careful however about displaying such a familiarity with the words of the Messiah/Pariah (delete as appropriate.) You don't want somebody in Langley opening a file on you.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    TOPPING said:

I noted that for all Caroline Lucas' outrage this morning on the radio that the "progressive alliance" was under-represented, no mention was made (and I was disappointed the Today presenter didn't ask her) about UKIP.
    You mean the Evil Empire wasn't equally represented? Shocking!
  • Options

So now the LibDems are going to have to protest that they're not going to prop up Corbyn in a Coalition of Chaos, thereby looking even more confused and disgruntling both sides.

Well done, Vince.

Vince Cable celebrates his 74th birthday tomorrow.
  • Options

MTimT said:

PB may not be the ideal place to start a symposium on the various contributions of KM to modern economic theory, but if we are going to do so, let's start from what he actually wrote, and not the Daily Mail version.

Hence the oft quoted 'Je ne suis pas Marxiste!' which Karl is reported to have exclaimed when he saw some of the things being done in his name.

(No, I don't know why he said it in French. Maybe he was in France at the time.)
    This might explain it:

"“Je ne suis pas marxiste,” stated Marx, rather annoyed, to his son-in-law Paul Lafargue, when the latter reported the doings of French “Marxists.”"
    Thanks, Tim. I often wondered about the context. Now I know.

You should be careful however about displaying such a familiarity with the words of the Messiah/Pariah (delete as appropriate.) You don't want somebody in Langley opening a file on you.
    Ah, yes, Langley. I saw a documentary about that place once.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

felix said:

In my experience there are three types of paper candidate. Those that take pride in following HQ instructions such that sometimes they never even set foot in their constituency during the campaign. Those that resign themselves to dutifully fulfilling their duties as a candidate, going to meetings and knocking on doors more or less on their own. And those that go off piste and try and run an energetic local campaign with whatever resources they can drag in from the local area.
    .....and those that are told by their wife OK you can stand on condition you don't win. Not usually a problem.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Reading Martin Boon's write up on today's poll , he seems to be saying they have got Labour's vote share right but have Conservatives too high and Lib Dems too low . He says they are seriously considering methodology changes . Meanwhile this latest poll had a record number of Lib Dems for recent polls 175 ( 12% ) weighted down to 136 ( 9% ) .
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Bah! None of this strong and stable guff. I'm voting Tory to ensure a safe and secure society! :D
  • Options
    By the end of this week, Labour could well be at 25% or lower. I doubt the effect of this weekend's screw ups has yet fed thro to the polls.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Took Tim Farron 2 weeks to work out what to say about Cable and the Greens. Vince was making noises about LDs standing aside on April 23rd.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-08/no-coalitions-farron-insists-after-cable-hints-at-lib-dem-alliances-with-labour/
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Pong said:

I think it was the good Dr. Palmer, gent of this parish, who pointed out on here a couple of years back that many of Labour's ideas of the 1980s, which were then regarded anathema, have since been implemented by the Conservative as well as Labour governments.
    Politics is all about timing.
  • Options

Reading Martin Boon's write up on today's poll , he seems to be saying they have got Labour's vote share right but have Conservatives too high and Lib Dems too low . He says they are seriously considering methodology changes . Meanwhile this latest poll had a record number of Lib Dems for recent polls 175 ( 12% ) weighted down to 136 ( 9% ) .

Methodological changes during a campaign? What could possibly go wrong!
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    I backed Con gain in Rochdale just this lunchtime. Not sure if this helps or not.
  • Options

So now the LibDems are going to have to protest that they're not going to prop up Corbyn in a Coalition of Chaos, thereby looking even more confused and disgruntling both sides.

Well done, Vince.

Felicidades! Of course he was kn own in the coalition for his duplicitousness. In the absence of any words from Farron I guess we can assume he was speaking for the general party line - the Libs will support Labour candidates where they are not in the running. If it quacks like a duck.......
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,264
    edited May 2017

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

felix said:

That certainly happens at local council level with very popular local figures whose appeal has been underestimated by the party. It's all much more volatile. Just to give an example, I don't suppose UKIP were predicting that their one and only council seat on Thursday wouldn't be a hold but a gain.

I very much doubt, even in 1997, that it has happened nationally in recent times. There are seats parties have been pleasantly surprised to win, but not that they have won having seen as so hopeless that they were demanding the candidate stop mucking about.

I've seen examples, however, of people being ordered out of seats that were wrongly assumed to be reasonably secure, and that were lost.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    "It's absolutely commonplace in ALL parties for a no-hope candidate to be told in no uncertain terms by HQ to stop wasting their time and put in the hours in the marginal next door."

But it must be pretty unusual to tell them to go to the next door marginal and campaign for a different party.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited May 2017
    Alistair said:

isam said:

Paddy Power are 7/2 UKIP win Thurrock and 15/2 UKIP over 0.5 seats!

Am I completely stupid or is that completely stupid?
    It's completely stupid!!

Hills are 4/1 Thurrock and 8/1 over 0.5 :confounded:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554

I backed Con gain in Rochdale just this lunchtime. Not sure if this helps or not.
    Depends if UKIP put up a candidate in the seat.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    He "invented" capitalism as we understand it now. So, yes, a great economist who influences all of our thinking"
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Well I've backed it again anyway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Bah! None of this strong and stable guff. I'm voting Tory to ensure a safe and secure society! :D
    The Long Term Economic Plan, meanwhile, lasted until June 24th 2016.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554

Well I've backed it again anyway.
    Good luck.

Rochdale was one of the few constituencies in 2015 that had a National Front candidate.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Unlucky...

@paulwaugh: I'm told by 2 separate sources that Katy Clark withdrew from the shortlist for Rochdale amid worries that the NEC panel would not back her.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    The Long Term Economic Plan, meanwhile, lasted until June 24th 2016.
    Now it's the Long Term Economic Guideline. Do keep up! :p
  • Options

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

felix said:

. I doubt for instance the LDs will do much campaigning in East Ham but there's a candidate selected.

That certainly happens at local council level with very popular local figures whose appeal has been underestimated by the party. It's all much more volatile. Just to give an example, I don't suppose UKIP were predicting that their one and only council seat on Thursday wouldn't be a hold but a gain.

I very much doubt, even in 1997, that it has happened nationally in recent times. There are seats parties have been pleasantly surprised to win, but not that they have won having seen as so hopeless that they were demanding the candidate stop mucking about.

I've seen examples, however, of people being ordered out of seats that were wrongly assumed to be reasonably secure, and that were lost.
    It certainly doesn't happen very often in the Liberal Democrats, for sure. Charles Kennedy in 1983 was however an interesting case - he only got back to the country from studying in the US a few weeks before the election; it was a new seat but mostly comprised of a predecessor in which the Liberals had come fourth with about 15%. To my knowledge it wasn't on the target list and was the SDP's only gain of the election. Whether he expected to win, I don't really know. Most people assume it was some quirk of highland politics.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    RobD said:

Methodological changes during a campaign? What could possibly go wrong!
    Yes , his commentary is well worth a read .
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

By the end of this week, Labour could well be at 25% or lower. I doubt the effect of this weekend's screw ups has yet fed thro to the polls.

It's rather an unexpected answer to the excessive spending issue of campaigning - you just keep your head down & let the opposing parties drive the voters into your column.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Will the LibDem and Labour campaign spend have to be included in the Tories' declaration?
  • Options
    I'm sort of assuming now that quite a few leading Lib Dems have sold their seat count on the spreads.
  • Options

I'm sort of assuming now that quite a few leading Lib Dems have sold their seat count on the spreads.

How bad would it have to get for them to be on zero seats? :p
  • Options

What do you make of 11/4 over 50% vote share for The Tories?
  • Options
    isam said:

GB or UK?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    I do wonder as to Labour's seat losses.

Regrettably, coming from Merseyside badly taints my opinion of their seat losses. Round here, swings to the 'Tories' are low and just don't happen. I think the only seat that should be lost here is Wirral West (And the UKPR forum for that seat suggests madly enough that Margaret Greenwood might not actually lose it - with a majority of just 417 and supporting Corbyn - she should be toast). Likewise Wirral South should be very much in play but a local friend reports that Alison McGovern is well liked and has built up a personal vote, which along with the Merseyside effect should see her safe.

Wirral South is No. 46 on the Conservative target list. Those on here talking about 'only' 50 seat losses for Labour should see her gone too, but I don't think she will be.

I do suspect that I see a strong local 'We vote Labour because we vote Labour' effect but I also wonder if that won't translate nationally too, to save Labour from a sub 200 seat meltdown.
  • Options
    This looks like a fairer test than some of the spin we've seen:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/861618328191815680
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    felix said:

Well done, Vince.

Felicidades! Of course he was kn own in the coalition for his duplicitousness. In the absence of any words from Farron I guess we can assume he was speaking for the general party line - the Libs will support Labour candidates where they are not in the running. If it quacks like a duck.......
    Why would the Lib Dems want to oppose Conservatives more than oppose Labour?

Don't they want to win over Conservatives to their cause. The Conservative elector pool is much bigger than the Labour pool in which to fish. So Lib Dems should avoid aligning with Labour or Green because it puts off potential sof Conservatives considering the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Regrettably, coming from Merseyside badly taints my opinion of their seat losses. Round here, swings to the 'Tories' are low and just don't happen. I think the only seat that should be lost here is Wirral West (And the UKPR forum for that seat suggests madly enough that Margaret Greenwood might not actually lose it - with a majority of just 417 and supporting Corbyn - she should be toast). Likewise Wirral South should be very much in play but a local friend reports that Alison McGovern is well liked and has built up a personal vote, which along with the Merseyside effect should see her safe.

Wirral South is No. 46 on the Conservative target list. Those on here talking about 'only' 50 seat losses for Labour should see her gone too, but I don't think she will be.

I do suspect that I see a strong local 'We vote Labour because we vote Labour' effect but I also wonder if that won't translate nationally too, to save Labour from a sub 200 seat meltdown.

There will be Non-uniform swing.

Labour will lose safer seats elsewhere, and retreat to the urban conurbations
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

For last week's elections Labour was underestimated more than the Tories.

Was there a Scottish local election poll done ?

I don't recall seeing one.
    There was 2 but they were done quite far out and didn't ask about independents. They were both wildly wrong but suggest differential turnout as to the wrongness.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

felix said:

Well done, Vince.

Don't they want to win over Conservatives to their cause. The Conservative elector pool is much bigger than the Labour pool in which to fish. So Lib Dems should avoid aligning with Labour or Green because it puts off potential sof Conservatives considering the Lib Dems.
    Splits on the left... such a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    isam said:

I haven't bet on it but I think that's pretty fair. Given the Lib Dems' determination to ruin their campaign at every turn, UKIP's orderly winding-up and severe doubts over the reliability of Labour's voters, the Conservatives might well outperform polls in practice. The vote share has to go somewhere.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

GB or UK?
    Hmm I don't know!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    edited May 2017
    deleted
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

It certainly doesn't happen very often in the Liberal Democrats, for sure. Charles Kennedy in 1983 was however an interesting case - he only got back to the country from studying in the US a few weeks before the election; it was a new seat but mostly comprised of a predecessor in which the Liberals had come fourth with about 15%. To my knowledge it wasn't on the target list and was the SDP's only gain of the election. Whether he expected to win, I don't really know. Most people assume it was some quirk of highland politics.
    Interesting. Apparently in 1997 the New Labour gains that really stunned Alistair Campbell were St Albans and Wimbledon. I'm guessing St Albans was fought on new boundaries though - Peter Lilley was no longer the candidate and if he'd done the chicken run it wouldn't have been much of a surprise.
  • Options

felix said:

Well done, Vince.

I agree with David - essentially these were unwise words from someone who, let's remember, used to be in the Labour Party originally. They aren't the party line and Farron won't want to waste airtime talking about them, if he can help it. The LDs have already ruled out any coalition arrangement in the almost-impossible-to-conceive eventually of a NOM outcome. Of course if it happens a NOM would demand some sort of resolution, but if that were worth debating (which right now it isn't) that would be a question for all the parties.
  • Options

So 58% are either indifferent, don't know or none of these, and that is people interested in polls.

2% are excited, heaven knows what sort of dull lives they must lead.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    surbiton said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

For last week's elections Labour was underestimated more than the Tories.

Was there a Scottish local election poll done ?

I don't recall seeing one.
    There were two earlier in the year_
    Mori - end of Feb /early March - SNP 46 Con 19 Lab 17 LD 6
    Panelbase - Mid Feb - SNP 47 -Con 26 Lab 14 - LD 5
    The actual results were , I think, SNP 43, Con 24, Lab 22
    Not so - this refers to last weeks locals ! The results were SNP 32 - Con 25 - Lab 20.
  • Options
    Does OGH still view ICM as being the Gold Standard as regards pollsters, I think we should be told?
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    Pulpstar said:

This time round Scottish Labour don't have the bother of defending 40 odd seats, they can target the three or four where they have half a chance.

If anyone from their campaign is paying attention BLT, I'd highly recommend All SLAB resources to head to East Lothian.

Should they, or should they not? That's a very good question.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

French used to be an important language?

*innocent face*
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/wisermonkeys/status/861608831381639169

Is that peak Nat I spot? :p
  • Options
    edited May 2017

isam said:

I haven't bet on it but I think that's pretty fair. Given the Lib Dems' determination to ruin their campaign at every turn, UKIP's orderly winding-up and severe doubts over the reliability of Labour's voters, the Conservatives might well outperform polls in practice. The vote share has to go somewhere.
    Today's poll has them on 49 w UKIP on 8... IMO UKIP cannot get 8
  • Options
    edited May 2017

So 58% are either indifferent, don't know or none of these, and that is people interested in polls.

Given how little the average Brit actually knows about or follows French politics, the finding that a quarter of them (edit/ a third, including the delighteds) are pleased with the outcome is actually quite remarkable. They can't all be PB punters counting their winnings.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,264
    edited May 2017

My model posted earlier does indeed include Wirral South as a Labour hold against the general flow.

I've done it on the basis of 2015 UKIP vote, with those seats with more than 2/3rds of a standard deviation below the average UKIP vote (like Wirral South) getting a 2.5% swing, those 2/3rds of a standard deviation above an 8.5% swing, and those with a broadly typical UKIP vote a 5.5% swing in line with polls putting the Tory lead at about 17-18%.

The bad news for Labour is Wirral South is not typical. Only Tooting and Westminster North join it as "surprise" holds (i.e. less than UNS needed). Meanwhile, there are 14 "surprise" defeats - Batley & Spen, Dudley N, Great Grimsby, Hartlepool, Mansfield, Newport E, Oldham E, Penistone & Stocksbridge, Stalybridge & Hyde, Wolverhampton NE, Workington, and Worsley & Eccles.

It's a bit back-of-a-fag packet so not to be taken too seriously... but it does illustrate that there's an imbalance. If Labour do indeed suffer badly in seats with a higher than typical UKIP vote, it is not fully compensated for by doing better (or less badly) in seats with a lower than average UKIP vote.

To cut a long story short, Wirral South is NOT typical - it's rather unusual.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017

I was working through the Labour seats earlier from here: http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/ge15/ge15index.htm

I reached 146 that I just could not imagine falling. I had another 26 that I thought Labour were 90% certs to hold. The remainder were the ones at significant risk.

The one caveat is how many Labour supporters will actually get to the booths and vote.

The commitment to vote levels appear to be dreadful in the few demographics where Labour lead. That's what might trigger a deeper collapse.

Betfair had Labour at 11/8 at between 160 and 199. It looked reasonable to me.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. D, the Lib Dems still haven't worked out that the Conservatives are their adversaries, but Labour are their rivals.

It's an obvious but critical thing to grasp. This country isn't leftwing enough for the two big parties to be of the left. For the Lib Dems to aspire to government in their own right they must first supplant Labour.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

When you think how little people in general know about political figures in their own country, it seems a bit strange to be using their 'opinions' of foreign politicians as a guide to anything much.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_P said:
    Ah, the fruit basket is full with apples and oranges
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Today's poll has them on 49 w UKIP on 8... IMO UKIP cannot get 8
    We mostly agree UKIP will be lucky to get zilch. We mostly agree Labour will be well below the 30% they've been touching in some polls. We mostly agree the SNP will fall back. And only a few brave souls so far think the Tories can beat 50%.

A LibDem surge is becoming a mathematical necessity?
  • Options

isam said:

I think its a very good price for reasons outlined elsewhere, primarily that the Ukip % will collapse from circa 13% to around 3% as a result of few candidates to vote for. The party % is much easier to calculate than seats won imo.

I'm following you in.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/861615068282327040

twitter.com/meanwhilescotia/status/861536995746754560

Not sure. Three of those could easily be described as winners.
  • Options

Ah, the fruit basket is full with apples and oranges

Well indeed, and yet, you can't deny the overall shapes do seem a remarkably good fit for the relative fortunes of the various parties over that time frame :smile:
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    BBC: - Tim Farron says there will be no pacts with other parties after two senior Lib Dems were recorded discussing support for a Labour candidate.

Ex-business secretary Sir Vince Cable said he would find it "difficult to vote against" a Labour candidate whose views were "very close" to his own.

Lib Dem Richmond Park candidate Sarah Olney suggested the use of "paper candidates" or "not campaigning".

But Mr Farron said: "Let me be clear: no pact, no deal, no coalition."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39848939
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:

The latest Guardian/ICM poll is out, and it suggests the Conservatives have a record 22-point lead over Labour. Here are the figures.

Conservatives: 49% (up 2 since Guardian/ICM last week)

Labour: 27% (down 1)

Lib Dems: 9% (up 1)

Ukip: 6% (down 2)

Greens: 3% (down 1)

Conservative lead: 22 points

The combined Tory/UKIP share at 55% is one of the highest I've seen. Suggests the Tories aren't just picking up votes from former UKIP supporters.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not yesterday. Over the longer term perhaps
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/861615068282327040

twitter.com/meanwhilescotia/status/861536995746754560

Is there a film called "The Recency Effect"?
  • Options
    Charles said:

French used to be an important language?

*innocent face*
    ta geuele! (even more innocent face, if that's possible.)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2017

twitter.com/YouGov/status/861618328191815680

The reality is most people in the UK don't even follow UK politics that closely, let alone foreign elections. They will have heard lots of bad things about Le Pen, but I doubt many really know much about Macron to be able to express a proper opinion.

I only have a outline idea and I post on a politics betting forum.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited May 2017

isam said:

imagine if they get 52%. LOL.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Just wait til Jezza gets on the telly say Maomentumers....ohhhh....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520
    nunu said:

isam said:

imagine if they get 52%. LOL.
    Then we should club together and buy Sunil a small steam train
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Indeed, the establishment is utterly unprepared. It is a long time since a party won 50% of the vote.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

The latest Guardian/ICM poll is out, and it suggests the Conservatives have a record 22-point lead over Labour. Here are the figures.

Conservatives: 49% (up 2 since Guardian/ICM last week)

Labour: 27% (down 1)

Lib Dems: 9% (up 1)

Ukip: 6% (down 2)

Greens: 3% (down 1)

Conservative lead: 22 points

The combined Tory/UKIP share at 55% is one of the highest I've seen. Suggests the Tories aren't just picking up votes from former UKIP supporters.
    The Tory High Command must be thanking John McDonnell - for many Labour waverers his interview with Marr yesterday must have been the last straw.
This discussion has been closed.