Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How is history going to judge Mr. Corbyn?

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:
    I like the following combination:

1. The NEV is more or less correct

2. Everyone thinks the Tories are heading for a landslide. That is the perception at the moment. Luckily no one other than die hard politicos know what an NEV is,
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

Jason said:

surbiton said:

The BBC share of votes is indeed Con 38, Lab 27, LD 18, UKIP 5.

Where did the LD get all these votes ?

Remain is indeed more than Leave since all Brexiters are voting Tory. Only the Remain vote is split.

Aren't these figures, if correct, desperately disappointing for the Tories? Plug them into Baxter, allowing say 3% for the Greens, and you get 337 Tory seats, giving them a majority of just 24. But it's actually worse than that since the great metropolis didn't vote today, which had it done so would have skewed the outcome further against the Blue Team. The only saving grace on the other side of the coin is that the SNP is shown as retaining 56 of Scotland's 59 seats, whereas the consensus is that the Tories will win between 5 - 10 of these. Even so, we're still light years away from any sort of landslide.
    Hmm .... let me have another look at those circa 400 Tory seat spreads.
    Should you do likewise DYOR.
    Putting in local election figures into a general election predictor is utterly futile.
    These are not local election figures. Labour did not receive 27% of the votes yesterday. The NEV is calculated form the swings in selected wards compared to 2015 election.
    The whole point of NEV is that it adjusts for the areas that are voting.

But it doesn't translate always to national figures. In 2013 the Kipper figure for NEV was 22%.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, let's imagine that the LDs end up sub 10 seats again. (Which - although my forecast is 12-15 seats - is very much a possibility.)

Now, given than Norman Lamb will almost certainly be seat-less in that scenario, who will be the next LibDem leader?

Clegg again?

Multiple Clegg-asms?!
    I wonder if Clegg wouldn't actually be that bad of a choice. Yes he was clearly toxic during the coalition years, and he has to take ultimate responsibility for a disastrous 2015 campaign (and a somewhat wasted opportunity in 2010), but the LDs have few MPs of gravitas. Perhaps an ex Deputy PM would at least be a more recognisable choice, and the coalition years and tuition fees are ancient history. If Cable did make it back in and Norman Lamb doesn't, then it should be him.
    If there's a Labour and LibDem meltdown I could see Clegg coming back as a Macron-style leader of a new centre-left 'movement'.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, let's imagine that the LDs end up sub 10 seats again. (Which - although my forecast is 12-15 seats - is very much a possibility.)

Now, given than Norman Lamb will almost certainly be seat-less in that scenario, who will be the next LibDem leader?

Clegg again?

The LibDems did well in North Norfolk so I can't see Lamb losing before Carshalton, Southport and Richmond Park go.

The next leader if there was no Lamb would be Greg Mulholland.
    It will be Farron.
    The LDs are not Labour, they are much more prone to partaking in tory style regicide (except when it came to Clegg in 2014 strangely enough), I can't see him staying on if the election results are a disaster
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited May 2017

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Remain is indeed more than Leave since all Brexiters are voting Tory. Only the Remain vote is split.

Aren't these figures, if correct, desperately disappointing for the Tories? Plug them into Baxter, allowing say 3% for the Greens, and you get 337 Tory seats, giving them a majority of just 24. But it's actually worse than that since the great metropolis didn't vote today, which had it done so would have skewed the outcome further against the Blue Team. The only saving grace on the other side of the coin is that the SNP is shown as retaining 56 of Scotland's 59 seats, whereas the consensus is that the Tories will win between 5 - 10 of these. Even so, we're still light years away from any sort of landslide.
    The Conservatives won the West Midlands and Teesside. That points to 400 or so seats.
    Not according to Baxter it doesn't, nowhere near, using the BBC's share of the vote percentages, which I have to say look very suspicious with the LibDems on a whopping 18%.
    Not one general election poll has the LDs anywhere near 18% nor the Tories as low as 38% which tells you everything you need to know, there are plenty of voters who vote LDs locally because they are good at emptying the bins and mending potholes but Tory nationally because the Tories can actually run the country
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options

surbiton said:

Jason said:

surbiton said:

Putting in local election figures into a general election predictor is utterly futile.
    These are not local election figures. Labour did not receive 27% of the votes yesterday. The NEV is calculated form the swings in selected wards compared to 2015 election.

But it doesn't translate always to national figures. In 2013 the Kipper figure for NEV was 22%.
    Yes and no. It calculates the overall swings in the areas that voted and then plugs it for the whole country.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    I like the following combination:

1. The NEV is more or less correct

2. Everyone thinks the Tories are heading for a landslide. That is the perception at the moment. Luckily no one other than die hard politicos know what an NEV is,
    In which case there are betting opportunities!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

A banana skin that's fallen out of the dustbin of history.

Got a bone to pick with you. "I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world" got seriously close to getting a rendention in Edinburgh Sheriff Court today. Would have made the case marginally more surreal than it was already.
    Snaring TSE and DavidL in consecutive posts. That's a fine day's work.
    That bloody blue song's been in my damn head all day too!

Dodgy '90's lyrics should be banned before lunchtime ;)
    Someone once pointed out to me that the name of the footballer Didier Ndong made him sing "Saturday Night" to himself every time he heard it.

Who knows which other unwary posters I'll torment with that post?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

The big puzzlement to me, which was symptomatic of his leadership, was why he didn't insist on the vote of no confidence in the Tory Government route without which the PM could not have proceeded with a dissolution of Parliament.
    A truly bizarre decision and I just wonder whether it resulted from his being sick and tired of the whole damn business and that he just wanted out asap. I wonder whether we'll ever know?

Because he would have looked like an even bigger joke than he does now if he did that.

After spending months calling for an election since May became PM, to turn one down would have been fatal.
    But that's the whole point, he wouldn't have been turning down a GE, instead he would have been seen, for once, as calling the shots. After all just about everyone on PB.com from OGH downwards had long been telling us that it was virtually impossible for the Tories to engineer an election prior to 2020 and here was Corbyn's golden chance to show just for once that he was in charge of events, which he most assuredly was, or at least could have been.
    I think that's optimistic.

It certainly would have neutered his chances of opposing for the next 3 years, as the inevitable reply to any opposition would have been "let's ask the people, let's have an election".
    But at some point - when the polls became closer - he might say 'ok go ahead then' but to do that when so far behind is just suicide. He has deliberately acted contrary to interests of the party he claims to wish to serve.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Corbyn is, unwittingly, God's instrument. Britain needs a popular leftish party, with an "ordinary people" bias. Labour is not suitable. Corbyn is making room for Labour to be replaced.

But he isn't, as LDs and UKIP aren't filling the voice, and if he does stand down post June they won't even split.
    Politics in the next couple of decades is going to be fascinating. Do the Tories preside over a realignment that casts them as a party similar in coalition to the US Republicans?
    Fortunately, we have nothing like the USA's racial divisions, but all right wing parties are becoming parties of the countryside, average towns and small cities, while left wing parties are becoming parties of big cities, universities, and very deprived areas.
    Deprived areas like Glasgow Shettleston?

Hearing that result brought a tear to my eye. A remarkable result.
    I don't know how the Conservatives won 8 seats in Glasgow.
    Perhaps the east end of Glasgow expect us to govern for the many not the few? It's time to work out how to make Conservative policy to work in Glasgow. I was stunned.
    The Tories appear to be casting off the South-of-England-Establishment image that has plagued them for at least 25 years. This seems to be solely down to two factors: Brexit and May.

In some ways this is reminiscent of the electoral coalition of the mid-Thatcherite period, but there is a difference. There isn't the vehement loathing or division that Thatcherism engendered in many parts of society. Sure, there are a group who still believe anything the Tories do is the work of Satan, but the... hatred... doesn't seem quite as strong as it used to be. Is the ghost of Maggie finally being laid to rest by another female PM?
    Well, if a Conservative has been elected in the east end of Glasgow you'd have to assume the ghost of Maggie is leaving the scene. The ghost of Jeremy Corbyn will be around for years to come though.
    Bet Teddy Taylor is loving it
    Who is Teddy Taylor?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

The Conservatives won the West Midlands and Teesside. That points to 400 or so seats.
    Not according to Baxter it doesn't, nowhere near, using the BBC's share of the vote percentages, which I have to say look very suspicious with the LibDems on a whopping 18%.
    Not one general election poll has the LDs anywhere near 18% nor the Tories as low as 38% which tells you everything you need to know, there are plenty of voters who vote LDs locally because they are good at emptying the bins and mending potholes but Tory nationally because the Tories can actually run the country
    It tells me that all the adjustments pollsters do to re-adjust "shy" Tories inflates the Tories. WWC Tories who were shy to tell the pollsters how they would vote, post_UKIP are no longer shy.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Jason said:

surbiton said:

Yes and no. It calculates the overall swings in the areas that voted and then plugs it for the whole country.

You cannot compare the swings in a local election to those in a general election.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Corbyn is, unwittingly, God's instrument. Britain needs a popular leftish party, with an "ordinary people" bias. Labour is not suitable. Corbyn is making room for Labour to be replaced.

But he isn't, as LDs and UKIP aren't filling the voice, and if he does stand down post June they won't even split.
    Politics in the next couple of decades is going to be fascinating. Do the Tories preside over a realignment that casts them as a party similar in coalition to the US Republicans?
    Fortunately, we have nothing like the USA's racial divisions, but all right wing parties are becoming parties of the countryside, average towns and small cities, while left wing parties are becoming parties of big cities, universities, and very deprived areas.

Perhaps the east end of Glasgow expect us to govern for the many not the few? It's time to work out how to make Conservative policy to work in Glasgow. I was stunned.
    The Tories appear to be casting off the South-of-England-Establishment image that has plagued them for at least 25 years. This seems to be solely down to two factors: Brexit and May.

In some ways this is reminiscent of the electoral coalition of the mid-Thatcherite period, but there is a difference. There isn't the vehement loathing or division that Thatcherism engendered in many parts of society. Sure, there are a group who still believe anything the Tories do is the work of Satan, but the... hatred... doesn't seem quite as strong as it used to be. Is the ghost of Maggie finally being laid to rest by another female PM?
    Well, if a Conservative has been elected in the east end of Glasgow you'd have to assume the ghost of Maggie is leaving the scene. The ghost of Jeremy Corbyn will be around for years to come though.
    Who is Teddy Taylor?
    The last Tory MP in Glasgow
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

Clegg again?

The LibDems did well in North Norfolk so I can't see Lamb losing before Carshalton, Southport and Richmond Park go.

The next leader if there was no Lamb would be Greg Mulholland.
    It will be Farron.
    The LDs are not Labour, they are much more prone to partaking in tory style regicide (except when it came to Clegg in 2014 strangely enough), I can't see him staying on if the election results are a disaster
    I think Farron will get around 15-20 seats mainly in strongly Remain areas like Bath, Cambridge, Oxford West and Abingdon, Cheltenham, Bristol West, Edinburgh West and Lewes where the LDs did best yesterday and similar areas of London like Richmond Park, Twickenham and Kingston and Surbiton which were not up yesterday and that will secure his position, though the Tories will likely gain Carshalton
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

15.71% Lab - Con swing in my ward.

Anyone got a bigger one ?

Cramlington Eastfield was 25%.
    Prudhoe N was 21%
    Prudhoe S was 19%

and quite a few others in Northumberland alone IIRC.
    Can Ronnie Campbell resist the tide
    He is retiring.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Who is Teddy Taylor?
    An Arse-hole.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

rcs1000 said:

Clegg again?

Clegg is best-priced at 16/1 with Bet365 to become the next LibDem leader.
    Or you could back Jo Swinson at similar odds, if she regains her seat the odds will shorten quite a bit due to the party never having had a female leader and could be laid-off on Betfair. (Might be something to look at on the 9th of June once there is an idea who will be able to be the leader over the next few years)
    However unless things go really badly wrong I suspect that Tim Farron will be leader until the next GE in 2021/22.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Jason said:

surbiton said:

You cannot compare the swings in a local election to those in a general election.

Still sure about 400 seats ?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Jason said:

surbiton said:

Still sure about 400 seats ?
    Where did I say that?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/860536990621728768

On how the Conservatives are sending Theresa May to Labour-held seats with chunky Ukip votes available for her to steal.

Actually it doesn't do what it claims to do. There are 4 visits to constituencies 'above the line' and 3 below it, which is hardly evidence that TM is targeting the ones above the line.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Got a bone to pick with you. "I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world" got seriously close to getting a rendention in Edinburgh Sheriff Court today. Would have made the case marginally more surreal than it was already.

Someone once pointed out to me that the name of the footballer Didier Ndong made him sing "Saturday Night" to himself every time he heard it.

Ooh, that's a bad one!

Unfortunately for my sins I was a young student DJ around that time, so all these dodgy songs are on 12" vinyl gathering dust somewhere in my house. The Blue one is by Eiffel 65.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,137

kle4 said:

I have no idea where Don Valley is - any results near that area that might be able to shed any light on what's going up there?

You can see the actual council results here:

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/the-council-democracy/local-elections-2017

It approximately consists of wards Conisbrough, Edlington, Finningley, Hatfield, Rossington, Thorne and Tickhill but is on the previously set of wards which are somewhat more favourable to the Conservatives.
    I see Labour gained seats there. TP may well be keeping his day job.
    He'll have some hard work to do but its not impossible.

8/1 was good value but I wouldn't invest in the current odds.

TP would be the first Conservative to represent the area since the 1900 election.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,265
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Who is Teddy Taylor?
    An Arse-hole.
    Quite liked Teddy despite his politics.
    Big Bob Marley fan.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2017
    TudorRose said:

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/860536990621728768

On how the Conservatives are sending Theresa May to Labour-held seats with chunky Ukip votes available for her to steal.

Actually it doesn't do what it claims to do. There are 4 visits to constituencies 'above the line' and 3 below it, which is hardly evidence that TM is targeting the ones above the line.
    Chris cook and properly analysing data rarely goes well....
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Who is Teddy Taylor?
    An Arse-hole.
    Quite liked Teddy despite his politics.
    Big Bob Marley fan.
    Who doesn't love a reggae fan who wants to hang and flog?
    Smoke a big old reefer whilst they beat young men with da birch.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

It tells me that all the adjustments pollsters do to re-adjust "shy" Tories inflates the Tories. WWC Tories who were shy to tell the pollsters how they would vote, post_UKIP are no longer shy.
    It is entirely due to LD local, Tory national voters. Almost half the LD local election voters yesterday will vote Tory at the general election. In the 1987 general election exactly the same thing happened, with the SDP voteshare falling and the Tory voteshare rising from the local elections to the general election the following month
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Who is Teddy Taylor?
    really Benedict.....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @wallaceme: Shoutout to the Labour MP overheard today calling the new Liverpool Labour Mayor @Steve4LCRmayor "an absolute bastard" #WithFriendsLikeThese
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Scott_P said:
    At this point you could stick a couple of blue rosettes on those llamas and they'd still beat Labour.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

Yes, Baxtering it has kept me off the Spin markets.

The Brum Mayoral election was closer than I expected.
    Labour is still very strong in the inner cities and declining conurbation suburbs.
    Locally Lab held one of the Coalville seats, the Lib Dems the other. Coalville is somewhere I know well as I do clinics there. It is a WWC town, with some new housing. So did Loughborough, and I dont think many students vote in locals.

I think Labour are a long way off winning the NW Leics and Loughborough seats that made up part of Blairs majority. I cannot see any of the 3 Lab or 7 Con seats in Leics changing hands, though I shall be campaigning again in Bosworth. It just doesnt smell like meltdown in this bellwether part of middle England.

I haven't done any formal modelling, but my guessing stick suggests about 175 Lab seats.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

I had a late lunch today after the conclusion of my court case. Speaking to the trainee who had been assisting. She said that she didn't really agree with any of the parties or like politicians. I said what about Ruth Davidson. Big smile. "Oh, I like Ruth, she's really funny."

Ruth gets the Scottish Tories places they have absolutely no right to be. Like Shettleston.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Who is Teddy Taylor?
    He was an ardent Thatcherite who then got re-elected in Southend. Arch Eurosceptic who was one of the "white coats" people that were the bane of John Major's premiership.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    At this point you could stick a couple of blue rosettes on those llamas and they'd still beat Labour.

Scott_P said:
    Are those llamas, I thought it was a family photo of the johnsons.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

surbiton said:

hang on a minute,TM has done better than Maggie in 83 in these locals surely this
    points to a 400 plus seat tory government against the pound shop Michael
    Foot that Corbyn is
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Scott_P said:
    In significant parts of the country, you could still stick red rosettes on said llamas and they'd beat the Tories.

Although not quite so many parts of the country as was once the case, I would surmise...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people interested in politics cannot separate the difference between local election results and GE results, or try to extrapolate voting percentages into seat predictions. These same people are at least consistent, because they say the same things after every set of local elections, and are proved wrong in every ensuing GE. It is an exercise in futility trying to predict general election results from the previous local council results.

Saying all that, the main opposition party doesn't usually lose hundreds of seats either, so if there is anything to extrapolate, it is the fact that Labour are doing even worse than they did in 1983, right before a thrashing at the following GE. Anyone who believes the 38/27/18 the three main parties got can be transposed into a national election, where a government is at stake, are frankly deluded.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Spot on. Turnouts in the GE are alot larger too. Anyone baxtering the locals - Well.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    Its good to know that even although politics is all over the place and as volatile and unpredictable as I can ever recall it there are certain verities in British life that can be relied upon. Like Spurs screwing up their chances of winning the PL.
  • Options
    On Polling Report site estimates given of 1st preference vote share in Scotland are - SNP 35% Con 23% Lab 21%.. The significant vote for Independents probably means that the three parties would poll a bit higher next month , but I suspect that Labour will be quite content with that result and particularly being only 2% behind the Tories. Matching the 24% polled in 2015 seems quite realistic.
  • Options
    @JenWilliamsMEN: What I've learnt:

Burnham supporters love that he didn't go to Corbyn thing.

Corbyn supporters love that Burnham didnt go to the thing.

@JenWilliamsMEN: Like I said, Labour. What a time to be alive.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JenWilliamsMEN: What I've learnt:

Burnham supporters love that he didn't go to Corbyn thing.

Corbyn supporters love that Burnham didnt go to the thing.

@JenWilliamsMEN: Like I said, Labour. What a time to be alive.

It's like they should be in two separate parties...
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

surbiton said:

hang on a minute,TM has done better than Maggie in 83 in these locals surely this
    Foot that Corbyn is
    My guessing stick indicates 385 Tories.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Spot on. Turnouts in the GE are alot larger too. Anyone baxtering the locals - Well.....
    Indeed, in the 1987 locals Thatcher got 38% but she got 43% in the general election a month later and a majority of 102 while the SDP fell from about 28% to 22%
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/05/theresa-may-closing-in-on-100-seat-commons-majority-general-election-local-elections-suggest
  • Options
    Jason said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people interested in politics cannot separate the difference between local election results and GE results, or try to extrapolate voting percentages into seat predictions. These same people are at least consistent, because they say the same things after every set of local elections, and are proved wrong in every ensuing GE. It is an exercise in futility trying to predict general election results from the previous local council results.

Saying all that, the main opposition party doesn't usually lose hundreds of seats either, so if there is anything to extrapolate, it is the fact that Labour are doing even worse than they did in 1983, right before a thrashing at the following GE. Anyone who believes the 38/27/18 the three main parties got can be transposed into a national election, where a government is at stake, are frankly deluded.

The one thing the locals do tell us is Corbyn has no chance of victory
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Bollocks. The England cricket and spurs jinx strikes again.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited May 2017

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

TV journalist Nina Nanner appearing on the telly always provokes a chorus of Bad Manners' Ne Ne Na Na Na Na Nu Nu.....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Scott_P said:
    What a charming picture of Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell on that front page. Who knew Labour lambs to the slaughter had such long (brass) necks ?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

kjohnw said:

surbiton said:

Foot that Corbyn is
    I'll take that. numbers that Cameron could only dream of
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    justin124 said:

On Polling Report site estimates given of 1st preference vote share in Scotland are - SNP 35% Con 23% Lab 21%.. The significant vote for Independents probably means that the three parties would poll a bit higher next month , but I suspect that Labour will be quite content with that result and particularly being only 2% behind the Tories. Matching the 24% polled in 2015 seems quite realistic.

Not at all convinced that all of these shares will rise in lockstep. Would expect SNP and Conservative votes to go up considerably more than the Labour share. Simple reason: the SNP are, crudely put, strongest in the old Labour heartland and weakest (although, granted, such weakness is merely relative) in more affluent and rural areas. In other words, most or all of the realistic potential gains for Unionist parties are in seats where the main challenger to the SNP is either Conservative or Liberal Democrat.

If there's a large amount of Unionist tactical voting then it will disproportionately benefit Con & LD candidates and ought therefore to result in the Labour vote being disproportionately squeezed.

There is no point in Con & LD voters defecting to back Labour in the vast majority of its targets, as Labour is so very far behind that it has no realistic chance of winning them.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    You can already see the teenage Momentum keyboard warriors on facebook building the foundations for a "Lost Cause" myth with Corbyn filling the Robert E. Lee role, a brilliant, romantic, noble leader let down by his politicians.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Indeed, in the 1987 locals Thatcher got 38% but she got 43% in the general election a month later and a majority of 102 while the SDP fell from about 28% to 22%
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/05/theresa-may-closing-in-on-100-seat-commons-majority-general-election-local-elections-suggest
    In 1983 the Lab vote was very inefficient. In 83 Maggie decreased her vote share from 79 but substantially increased her majority.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Clegg again?

Multiple Clegg-asms?!
    I wonder if Clegg wouldn't actually be that bad of a choice. Yes he was clearly toxic during the coalition years, and he has to take ultimate responsibility for a disastrous 2015 campaign (and a somewhat wasted opportunity in 2010), but the LDs have few MPs of gravitas. Perhaps an ex Deputy PM would at least be a more recognisable choice, and the coalition years and tuition fees are ancient history. If Cable did make it back in and Norman Lamb doesn't, then it should be him.
    He probably is the best man for the job, and his coalition with the Cameroons would be seen as a good thing to the people he is reaching out to now
  • Options
    If Labour really are resigned to defeat in 5k or lower majorities that would mean up to 10k must be considered 'in play'and perhaps beyond. 120 or below has to be possible. If England and Wales decide enough is enough it could become a steamroller
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Had a by-election in Wiltshire 10 months ago won by the LDs 46% to Tory 21% (gain from Ind, who had died and had been LD). Same Tory candidate, different LD candidate (Leader of town council), today, 45% Con, 40% LD. Turnout up from 27% to 34% (vs 30% 4 years ago). Funny how much things can change in such a short time.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2017
    DavidL said:

Its good to know that even although politics is all over the place and as volatile and unpredictable as I can ever recall it there are certain verities in British life that can be relied upon. Like Spurs screwing up their chances of winning the PL.

To have minnows win the Premiership in consecutive years would have been wonderful. I'm devastated that the dream has died.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

Who is Teddy Taylor?
    Many thanks!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited May 2017
    Could today have a snowball effect?

A day of reports of Labour doing very badly helps make it a self-fulfilling prophecy - some waverers may think that's enough and throw in the towel.

It will also make Labour campaigners less enthusiastic, harder to raise money etc etc.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Le Pen's agent has complained to the Electoral Commission that ballots have been tampered with to help Macron. This story seems mainly to be coming through Fox, but it's true. (I mean it is true that the Le Pen side has submitted the complaint. I have no idea whether the allegation of tampering is true.) In a press release it issued today, the Electoral Commission says it has asked the interior ministry to investigate.

The Commission also says that it has asked both candidates to be very careful not to break spending rules, although it is not at all clear why that should be referred to in this particular press release, nor why it should be grouped together with what the Commission says about the tampering allegation under the heading of what it has told Le Pen's agent.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

surbiton said:

Foot that Corbyn is
    In 1983, Birmingham was a comfortable hold for the Tories.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

A day of reports of Labour doing very badly helps make it a self-fulfilling prophecy - some waverers may think that's enough and throw in the towel.

It will also make Labour campaigners less enthusiastic, harder to raise money etc etc.

Throw in portrayal of the labour top team as dangerously leftist with iffy connections and beliefs and it becomes a rout.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Far fewer Independents and Residents Associations at GEs :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    kle4 said:

Had a by-election in Wiltshire 10 months ago won by the LDs 46% to Tory 21% (gain from Ind, who had died and had been LD). Same Tory candidate, different LD candidate (Leader of town council), today, 45% Con, 40% LD. Turnout up from 27% to 34% (vs 30% 4 years ago). Funny how much things can change in such a short time.

Very interesting, thank you. Anyone still relying upon local council by elections to act as a guide to the upcoming GE?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    HYUFD said:

Jason said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

The one thing the locals do tell us is Corbyn has no chance of victory
    The only thing anyone can safely extrapolate from local council results are....local council results. And that's it. Everything else is mostly wishful thinking. Corbyn is sunk, but that has got nothing to do with these results. Copeland had far more significance, and even then, by elections are not a reliable guide either.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

In 1983 the Lab vote was very inefficient. In 83 Maggie decreased her vote share from 79 but substantially increased her majority.
    Hopefully Theresa can increase her majority without the Argies having to sink any of our ships....
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

surbiton said:

Foot that Corbyn is
    Just as Corbynites despise Blair, the man who made them electable again, so do PB Tories despise the man who did the same for them*.

After Hubris comes Nemesis.

*May was a key part of the Cameron project, in all his Shadow or real Cabinets, and put in one of the great offices of state by him and George. Either she is a turncoat or a shameless opportunist.
  • Options
    The actual results from the local elections of 1983 and 1987:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_1983

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_1987

In 1983 Birmingham and Cardiff were Conservative controlled as were Sefton and Wirral on Merseyside.

Whilst on the other hand Labour did much better in medium sized towns than they do now.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Many Tories may think the job is already done.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fat_Steve said:

I had a late lunch today after the conclusion of my court case. Speaking to the trainee who had been assisting. She said that she didn't really agree with any of the parties or like politicians. I said what about Ruth Davidson. Big smile. "Oh, I like Ruth, she's really funny."

Ruth gets the Scottish Tories places they have absolutely no right to be. Like Shettleston.
    Interesting. That said the councillor is a local lad which I suspect helps.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    MikeL said:

I think if enough people see the footage of Corbyn celebrating in Manchester, it might reduce the Labour vote even further. That was completely bonkers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Wikileaks has apparently released some information about Macron, which only seems to provide further evidence that they are either coordinated by the Russians or used by them.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

No. They'll be enthused to rub your noses in it.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

That is the biggest risk. It's like England v Ireland in the last game of the six nations.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,265
    justin124 said:

23%.

I'll just roll that number about for a bit.

'There is only one winner today'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Very interesting, thank you. Anyone still relying upon local council by elections to act as a guide to the upcoming GE?
    Sort of - My ward result indicates Labour is in desperate trouble in Don and Rother Valley imo
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Who is Teddy Taylor?
    He was an ardent Thatcherite who then got re-elected in Southend. Arch Eurosceptic who was one of the "white coats" people that were the bane of John Major's premiership.
    I see. It would be remarkably good if a Conservative local boy could win a Glasgow east end seat... :)

I can't see it happening though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

It was the Alliance vote which was very inefficient in 1983 - Labour did pretty well to have over 200 MPs on under 30% of the vote.
  • Options
    Apologies if already reported. IPSOS - Sample 5,331

Macron 63% .. Len Pen 37%

Apres debate polls edge a couple of points to Macron

http://www.ipsos.fr/sites/default/files/doc_associe/rapport_ipsoslemonde5mai_0.pdf
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Of course worth remembering the tide will always turn, but in the short and probably medium things looking very rosy for the Tories.

Hubris was the greatest enemy ahead of June 8th, I don't know what iron self control will prevent it, but it should hardly matter.

I spoke to a Leaver Tory today, he said funny as it might seem now, but the pendulum will swing, because it always does, so in the next 20 years we'll have an electable Labour party, or some other centre-left party will win a general election, and in their manifesto it might well include a manifesto pledge to take us back into the single market, custom union, and freedom of movement.

Agreement will last 99 years with the EU and will have an early exit fee of £3 trillion pounds.
    I've said that on here, myself, before, and your Tory is right. At some point a social democratic party will take us back into a new form of the Single Market, possibly quite soon - with a tweaked Swiss style agreement on FoM. It is too beneficial to the rEU and to us, for this not to happen.

But I very much doubt we will ever rejoin the political project that is the EU.
    Wouldn't have to be a social democratic party. A liberal or soft Tory government would prioritise business and the economy over immigration controls
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,820
    Corbyn on the news:
    "Compared to two years ago, we're.... doing our best."
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

surbiton said:

Foot that Corbyn is
    Just as Corbynites despise Blair, the man who made them electable again, so do PB Tories despise the man who did the same for them*.

After Hubris comes Nemesis.

*May was a key part of the Cameron project, in all his Shadow or real Cabinets, and put in one of the great offices of state by him and George. Either she is a turncoat or a shameless opportunist.
    Indeed. A more reasonable approach seems to me to be that Cameron did a good job taking them from where they were to 2015, and May's skillset probably wouldn't have allowed that, but he would have been unable to take advantage as well as May since 2016 (not least due to Brexit being terminal for him, even as May's muted Remain stance helps her).
  • Options

justin124 said:

Not at all convinced that all of these shares will rise in lockstep. Would expect SNP and Conservative votes to go up considerably more than the Labour share. Simple reason: the SNP are, crudely put, strongest in the old Labour heartland and weakest (although, granted, such weakness is merely relative) in more affluent and rural areas. In other words, most or all of the realistic potential gains for Unionist parties are in seats where the main challenger to the SNP is either Conservative or Liberal Democrat.

If there's a large amount of Unionist tactical voting then it will disproportionately benefit Con & LD candidates and ought therefore to result in the Labour vote being disproportionately squeezed.

There is no point in Con & LD voters defecting to back Labour in the vast majority of its targets, as Labour is so very far behind that it has no realistic chance of winning them.
    Apparently the SNP were on 40% in Glasgow compared with 57% in 2015. A decline as sharp as that next month might bring some of those seats into play for Labour - as well as East Lothian , Edingburgh North - with East Renfrewshire a three way fight. Not had time to take a close look yet , but it may be significant that for the second consecutive year the pollsters have underestimated Labour in Scotland. Last year they did that to an even greater extent to the Tories for Holyrood - though not this year . Indeed 23% was at the low end of Tory expectations in Scotland.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,347
    Its a Tory landslide. Basic trends are UKIP dead all votes to the Tories, and Tories keeping all the LibDem votes won last time. Labour voters staying home. Then add in the SNP to Tory trend in Scotland, and add in the Brexit background and its time to forget UNS and start looking at which unwinnable seats the Tories can sweep.

And after the demolition there will be some Labour internecine warfare then we will come back stronger just as "we didn't get a deal" kicks in and our economy crashes to a halt as our border effectively shuts due to the customs checks imposed.
  • Options

That's right Div, whistle to keep your spirits up...

@AnasSarwar: Should compare Glasgow result to last 2 years.
    2015 SNP got 56%.
    2016 SNP got 54%.
    2017 SNP get ~40%.
    1 in 4 votes lost in a year.
  • Options

justin124 said:

23%.

I'll just roll that number about for a bit.

Anything under 40 % for the Nationalists was going to be a disappointment. 35 % is real bad.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2017
    How I feel as a moderate lefty with over a month until the general election

• Options

Wikileaks has apparently released some information about Macron, which only seems to provide further evidence that they are either coordinated by the Russians or used by them.

Interesting they have left it too late to influence the election...Rather attempt to damage the new leader from the get go.
  • Options
    @ianssmart: In what conceivable universe is the answer to the last 36 Hours "A higher profile for John McDonnell"?
  • Options
    According to the BBC the Teeside Mayor will only be paid £35,800 a year. That's barely more than me, is that really it?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    A number of weeks ago I mentioned how the French Intelligence services occasionally takes a hand in elections and notably Fillon and Le Pen perhaps had their positions blackened by corruption allegations.

Wikileaks stuff on Macron is predictable, the French authorities knew about this possibility of running interference.

Unlike elsewhere, they will not take it lying down if they have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Corbyn on the news:
    "Compared to two years ago, we're.... doing our best."

Like lemmings doing their best to go over the electoral cliff.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Of course worth remembering the tide will always turn, but in the short and probably medium things looking very rosy for the Tories.

Hubris was the greatest enemy ahead of June 8th, I don't know what iron self control will prevent it, but it should hardly matter.

I spoke to a Leaver Tory today, he said funny as it might seem now, but the pendulum will swing, because it always does, so in the next 20 years we'll have an electable Labour party, or some other centre-left party will win a general election, and in their manifesto it might well include a manifesto pledge to take us back into the single market, custom union, and freedom of movement.

Agreement will last 99 years with the EU and will have an early exit fee of £3 trillion pounds.
    I've said that on here, myself, before, and your Tory is right. At some point a social democratic party will take us back into a new form of the Single Market, possibly quite soon - with a tweaked Swiss style agreement on FoM. It is too beneficial to the rEU and to us, for this not to happen.

But I very much doubt we will ever rejoin the political project that is the EU.
    Wouldn't have to be a social democratic party. A liberal or soft Tory government would prioritise business and the economy over immigration controls
    The economy and immigration controls are two entirely different issues.

The era of uncontrolled immigration has also been the worst for economic performance.

Countries don't get rich by going 'all-in' on the hand wash car industry.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Apologies if already reported. IPSOS - Sample 5,331

Macron 63% .. Len Pen 37%

Apres debate polls edge a couple of points to Macron

http://www.ipsos.fr/sites/default/files/doc_associe/rapport_ipsoslemonde5mai_0.pdf

I think it will almost certainly be Macron 60-65% and Le Pen 35-40% or thereabouts, a clear win for Macron but Le Pen still doubling the voteshare of her father in 2002. Attention will then switch to the legislative elections where En Marche could well be the largest party on the latest polling but short of a majority
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,971

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

It doesn't matter what Baxter says.

If the Conservatives are winning the West Midlands Conurbation, and Teesside, they are heading for similar results to 1895, 1900, 1924, 1935, and 1983.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    tlg86 said:

MikeL said:

I think if enough people see the footage of Corbyn celebrating in Manchester, it might reduce the Labour vote even further. That was completely bonkers.
    I think political rallies are the only context in which he feels fully alive. The reason he didn't bugger May about over the ftpa is that goings on in the HoC just don't interest him one bit.

And the more he rallies the more bizarre the claim that it is May who fails to interact with ordinary voters will appear.
This discussion has been closed.