Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON GE2015 target seat over-spending issue throws into que

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    SeanT said:

The reporting on the EU today and May standing firm will be adding thousands of votes for her. The EU just fail to understand that their behavior is only increasing the anger to them but then this is the same EU that has no idea how to handle someone who stands up to them

I was mystified - apart from the rather unedifying spectacle of Juncker calling Mutti on her mobile at 7am the following morning - what are they trying to achieve. Do they want to strengthen May's majority? Reinforce the - already present - perception that if it breaks down its their fault?

I think the biggest issue is Britain wants to make Brexit a success and that simply does not compute for the EU. Brexit has to be a failure - or they're in trouble - we are looking for 'win-'win' - they want 'win-lose'
    It is slightly mystifying, this whole Brexit Dinner Leak thingy.

You have to ask: cui bono? To me the answer is: ultra-Brexiteers who are happy for Britain to crash out of the EU with no deal. Is that what the Commission wants, too? Perhaps so, as they think it will damage Britain the most, and discourage others from exiting.
    Perhaps they're hoping that Crash Brexit is so bad that the UK (or perhaps just England and Wales) ultimately has to beg, cap-in-hand, to be let back into the EU. This time with no opt-outs, from the Euro, from Schengen, from anything.

Personally I think they're right; that is the most likely long-term outcome.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584

I remember a fair amount of scorn and derision being directed at Crick when these investigations first started. I think it is worth recognising what a great service he has done the country in exposing these practices.

I was at a political nerd seminar a few days ago someone observed

'In America, they have checks & balances and separation of powers, in the U.K., we have Michael Crick'
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    If you watch the news cycle today it is dominated by the EU comments, the French elections and Tony Blair 20 years ago.

And Corbyn's housing policy announcement today does not feature. Indeed I think the media have given up on him
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Not sure where my post went but anyway...

I was saying that before the last election we heard interminably about Labour's ground game and the personal votes built on local activism of various Lib Dem MPs. In the end neither mattered a damn. I don't know of any reason why volunteers charging around in a bus in areas they don't even know should be more effective. I very much doubt this excess or undeclared (since in many cases the spending would not have put the candidate above the limits) had much impact at all.

So all this effort by the Tories produced nothing. Would the Tories have won Thanet South if Nick Timothy and his team not been holed up in the smart Ramsgate hotel for weeks? He was certainly given the accolades afterwards.

I know you are a loyal Tory but really.
    What evidence do you have that it did? Certainly, and beyond doubt the intention to make a difference was there. But that does not mean that it did nor that the results are therefore distorted and not a proper basis for assessment in 2017 which I think was your point.

Of course whether they were successful or not is an entirely different question from whether criminal offences were committed. There is absolutely no need for the CPS to show the expenditure made a difference. Which might be just as well.
    Then why do it ? Are you guys so inefficient that you bus in people , put them up in swanky hotels for no effect ?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

BigRich said:

With all dew respect to Mr Smithson, I don't think this will be a factor, at least not in the way he discuses it, for the simple reason that most if not all of the 2015 Target seats, will be safe Conservatives seats this time. (outside Scotland that is)

An entirely valid point. This election will be fought, not wholly but largely, around a different set of marginals to the last one. Certainly, in terms of Conservative defences, if you make the crude assumption that about half of the Ukip vote in each seat will defect, then there are only two sitting Tory MPs starting with majorities of less than 5% (David Mundell in Dumfriesshire and Gavin Barwell in Croydon Central.) In fact, we can probably assume that virtually all of the Tory MPs are safe, save for a small handful - principally those facing Liberal Democrat challengers - in Remain-leaning areas.

The swings that are likely to come into play are mainly in Labour's defences, and most of the tight ones that the Tories missed out on last time can, and in many cases will, fall given Ukip defections alone, before the Conservatives even have to try to convert any other new voters. The maths of this electoral map is entirely different from 2015.

Relative to the wider movements of voters between the parties, any difference made by campaign overspend in the last election is likely to be negligible.

(FWIW I don't think that there will be CPS announcements this side of June 8th either. These lawyers aren't thick, and presumably they won't want to find themselves caught in a similar kind of shitstorm to that which they will have seen engulf James Comey and the FBI in the States last Autumn.)
    But failure to make an announcement could also be seen as political interference.It would seem highly suspicious if a few days following the election the CPS makes it clear that some Tory candidates /agents are to be prosecuted. Accusations of pro-Tory collusion would be heard.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

HYUFD said:

IFOP Macron 59% Le Pen 41%
    http://dataviz.ifop.com:8080/IFOP_ROLLING/IFOP_01-05-2017.pdf

Macron leads 64% to 36% with under 35s but by a narrower 57% to 43% with over 35s

Not that much narrower. Enthusiasm for Macron gives way to dislike of Le Pen.
    It is a contrast to the first round though where Le Pen led Macron with 18 to 24s, in the runoff Macron has his biggest lead with 18 to 24s (a group won in the first round by Melenchon), as 18 to 24s are least likely to vote that suggests the final runoff margin could be slightly tighter than polls suggest
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

The reporting on the EU today and May standing firm will be adding thousands of votes for her. The EU just fail to understand that their behavior is only increasing the anger to them but then this is the same EU that has no idea how to handle someone who stands up to them

I was mystified - apart from the rather unedifying spectacle of Juncker calling Mutti on her mobile at 7am the following morning - what are they trying to achieve. Do they want to strengthen May's majority? Reinforce the - already present - perception that if it breaks down its their fault?

I think the biggest issue is Britain wants to make Brexit a success and that simply does not compute for the EU. Brexit has to be a failure - or they're in trouble - we are looking for 'win-'win' - they want 'win-lose'

You have to ask: cui bono? To me the answer is: ultra-Brexiteers who are happy for Britain to crash out of the EU with no deal. Is that what the Commission wants, too? Perhaps so, as they think it will damage Britain the most, and discourage others from exiting.
    Perhaps they're hoping that Crash Brexit is so bad that the UK (or perhaps just England and Wales) ultimately has to beg, cap-in-hand, to be let back into the EU. This time with no opt-outs, from the Euro, from Schengen, from anything.

I think that ignores human nature.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

I do wonder if they are of the misguided opinion that by making their comments in the way they have that opinion in the UK is likely to force Theresa May to surrender to them

They do not know this Country or Theresa May. Also reports from France that Macron is getting worried as Le Pen closes on him. He is calling for wide scale EU reform and does look a bit worried.

The French election is only going to add to the EU problems no matter the result.

If the EU27 leave Juncker and Barnier in charge, there will be no deal.
    http://lifestuff.xyz/blog/deal-or-no-deal
    Just one last point. If Juncker thinks the way to intimidate the Brits is by threatening them, he really ought to read a bit more history.
    I suspect the reasons for the kerfuffle are a mix of
    a) Juncker was drunker than usual
    b) May isn't a very good negotiator
    possibly
    c) errors in translation.

However, Barnier, a Frenchman, sums up most of the reasons that the EU is the way it is today. France was the only large founding member with any standing and wrote most of the rules. Timmermanns and Verhofstadt, i.e., a Dutchman and a Belgian, would be a better EU double act.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

How kosher are Google surveys?

'Poll shows most Scots would prefer independence in Europe rather than face Tory rule in UK after Brexit'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/poll-shows-most-scots-would-10315662

In certain to vote they have SNP 39, SCon 25, SLab 18.
    I seem to detect a slight SLab uptick lately, perhaps a reversion to reflex when a big majority Tory government hoves into view?

Is this a genuine poll from Google? Or one of those survey type ad things Google do where when you hit on a website you have to fill in the survey before you can read the page content?
    I don't think their polls are as per BPC. However, with the amount of data they have, I would not be surprised that they would be in an excellent position to draw up a very representative sample.
  • Options
    On topic, Mike, the Tories overspent in the Rochester & Strood and Clacton by-elections in 2014 and still lost.

Money isn't everything.

As someone who campaigned in a few marginals in 2015 it was all about Dave's leadership, George's magnificent stewardship of the economy, and The SNP/Lab coalition.
  • Options

How kosher are Google surveys?

'Poll shows most Scots would prefer independence in Europe rather than face Tory rule in UK after Brexit'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/poll-shows-most-scots-would-10315662

In certain to vote they have SNP 39, SCon 25, SLab 18.
    I seem to detect a slight SLab uptick lately, perhaps a reversion to reflex when a big majority Tory government hovers into view?

You are not the only one. The last few have shown that. Excellent canvassing strategy:

Vote for us, we will not win !

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444
    AIUI in at least 14 of the seats, the CPS is now required by law to decide whether to prosecute, or abandon, before the GE?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    When the EU27 announced their barmy position that the exit deal (including their absurd ransom demand) had to be agreed before discussion on the future relationship could start, I commented that this battle plan wouldn't survive 5 minutes contact with the enemy, since the issues are clearly linked.

Well, perhaps five minutes was an exaggeration, but not by much:

David Davis, the secretary of state for exiting the EU, is said to have retorted that the rest of the EU could not do anything about the financial demands once the UK had left because it would no longer answer to the rulings of the European court of justice (ECJ).

Juncker pointed out that the UK wanted a trade deal, but without agreement on money there would be no desire among the 27 member states to make that happen. The whole exit process would change, the commission president is said to have responded.

Quite how they expect to discuss the Irish border issue without knowing what border and customs controls will be necessary is an even bigger mystery.

The UK and the EU27 may well be on different galaxies, but it's the EU27 who are out with the fairies.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/01/jean-claude-juncker-to-theresa-may-on-brexit-im-10-times-more-sceptical-than-i-was-before
  • Options
    calum said:
    I think Murray can win on his own. If he could increase his votes in the face of an SNP tsunami, he can win this time.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    justin124 said:

BigRich said:

With all dew respect to Mr Smithson, I don't think this will be a factor, at least not in the way he discuses it, for the simple reason that most if not all of the 2015 Target seats, will be safe Conservatives seats this time. (outside Scotland that is)

An entirely valid point. This election will be fought, not wholly but largely, around a different set of marginals to the last one. Certainly, in terms of Conservative defences, if you make the crude assumption that about half of the Ukip vote in each seat will defect, then there are only two sitting Tory MPs starting with majorities of less than 5% (David Mundell in Dumfriesshire and Gavin Barwell in Croydon Central.) In fact, we can probably assume that virtually all of the Tory MPs are safe, save for a small handful - principally those facing Liberal Democrat challengers - in Remain-leaning areas.

The swings that are likely to come into play are mainly in Labour's defences, and most of the tight ones that the Tories missed out on last time can, and in many cases will, fall given Ukip defections alone, before the Conservatives even have to try to convert any other new voters. The maths of this electoral map is entirely different from 2015.

Relative to the wider movements of voters between the parties, any difference made by campaign overspend in the last election is likely to be negligible.

(FWIW I don't think that there will be CPS announcements this side of June 8th either. These lawyers aren't thick, and presumably they won't want to find themselves caught in a similar kind of shitstorm to that which they will have seen engulf James Comey and the FBI in the States last Autumn.)
    But failure to make an announcement could also be seen as political interference.It would seem highly suspicious if a few days following the election the CPS makes it clear that some Tory candidates /agents are to be prosecuted. Accusations of pro-Tory collusion would be heard.
    I thought the time limit on charges for the 2015 election was end of may, so charges by then or not at all.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    justin124 said:

BigRich said:

The law in this Country is that you are innocent until proven guilty. I would suggest the minute any announcement is made and if it is made, the CPS will remind the media and press that the matter immediately becomes sub judice
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,980
    GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Is this a genuine poll from Google? Or one of those survey type ad things Google do where when you hit on a website you have to fill in the survey before you can read the page content?

There's a question with enormous salience.

We know about voodoo polls: polls at the bottom of articles saying "What do you think about this? Vote NOW!!!", which are open to self-selection abuse and multiple voting and rightly decried.

We know about online opt-in panel polls such as YouGov, where people opt-in to a panel and responses are weighted to the general population. This is good but has disadvantages, the main one being politically-engaged folk opt-in in too many numbers and demographic weighting not curing the subsequent bias, a problem YouGov are committed to trying to solve.

But there are also ones in the middle. ComRes augments its panel with popup polls, and I think (not sure here) SurveyMonkey does as well.

The line is becoming increasingly blurred. Following GE2015 and EU2016, telephone panels are dead in the water and online are the only game in town. How they will develop over the next ten years will be very interesting...in the Chinese sense.

MORI is still polling by phone?
    Yes they do (thank you UKPR: see http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9856 ). Haven't ComRes and ICM now switched from 2015 telephone to 2017 online, or have I got it wrong?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AIUI in at least 14 of the seats, the CPS is now required by law to decide whether to prosecute, or abandon, before the GE?

I thought it was 15th May. I could be wrong !
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,133
    surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

if anyone cares there's a new constituency poll for Tatton (Tories on 58%)

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Final-Tatton-Tables-38-Degrees-5c0d7h-210317LICH.pdf

Interesting. Tories on 58,2%. In GE 2015, they got 58.6%.

There was another poll in Kensington. The Tory percentage actually dropped.
    So if the Conservative vote isn't increasing in rich Remain voting areas where is it increasing ...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Dadge said:

Scott_P said:

So, Brexit 'cannot be a success'?

Speaks volumes.

that's a translation.
    What's the original?

The Guardian account:

“Let us make Brexit a success,” May is said to have beseeched the commission president. According to the German newspaper, Juncker said while he wanted an orderly exit, not chaos, after Britain withdraws from the EU in 2019, it would be a third country state for the EU, adding: “Brexit cannot be a success.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/01/jean-claude-juncker-to-theresa-may-on-brexit-im-10-times-more-sceptical-than-i-was-before

I think they are looking for 'win-lose' - we are looking for 'win-win'
    He can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting "third country" status, or how that could be a successful outcome.
    Given the British people have decided that he's an even worse diplomat than I believed.

Brexit Cannot Be A Success

So if negotiations do fail we already know why.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,263
    calum said:
    Pretty sure I can feel an 'intervention' rumbling into life from distant Kirkcaldy..
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see the North Korea Leave faction is strong today.

The EU has no great interest in the UK election result (which I imagine they see as a foregone conclusion anyway). I expect the leak is aimed at giving other parts of the EU an idea of the scale of the task ahead.

But wouldn't the EU risk making autarkic Leave stronger by doing so? The obvious conclusion is that the EU has concluded that's going to be the winning faction anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No

Juncker called Merkel because he was astonished at what he heard at dinner. May apparently really believes some of the bullshit she has been spreading.

It would have been more surprising had he not called.
    "We want to make Brexit a success" is akin to someone who decides to chop off a perfectly good finger and then hopes the injury heals well !
  • Options

The UK and the EU27 may well be on different galaxies, but it's the EU27 who are out with the fairies.

At least May is on Planet Sober......
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rpjs said:

SeanT said:

- ditto "Brexit cannot be a success" - was Juncker drinking when he said that?).

Does the Pope shit in the woods?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    philiph said:

justin124 said:

BigRich said:

I thought the time limit on charges for the 2015 election was end of may, so charges by then or not at all.
    You may be correct on that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Great snooker match on BBC2. Selby v Higgins.
  • Options

surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Final-Tatton-Tables-38-Degrees-5c0d7h-210317LICH.pdf

So if the Conservative vote isn't increasing in rich Remain voting areas where is it increasing ...
    It's not ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    (((Dan Hodges)))‏Verified account @DPJHodges 19m19 minutes ago

Some suggestion JC strategy is to campaign is seats with significant Corbynite membership in preparation for 3'rd leadership contest.

Who will rid us of this turbulent priest?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You don't have to answer this because it's a personal question, but am I correct in thinking you have never been divorced? They (and we) are behaving like a divorced couple: both sides are prepared to act reasonably (by their own definitions of "reasonably"), find the other person's stance incomprehensible, and are trying for everything they can get, convinced that the other person cannot survive without them.

Juncker's leaking of the dinner is the equivalent of Angelina briefing against Brad to the paps.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The EU has no great interest in the UK election result (which I imagine they see as a foregone conclusion anyway). I expect the leak is aimed at giving other parts of the EU an idea of the scale of the task ahead.

But wouldn't the EU risk making autarkic Leave stronger by doing so? The obvious conclusion is that the EU has concluded that's going to be the winning faction anyway.

If you're leaking you're losing.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "Thus we cannot now say with certainty that seat X requires a swing of Y% because the base figure, the GE2015 result, could have been different if spending limits had been kept to"

Really? Or is this just clickbait, Mike?

The 15 seats in which there was overspending did not impact the result in any of the other 635 seats, so won't affect swings required in any of those.

Do we know if the 15 seats were all Tory victories? If so, none of the current Labour target seats are affected. If not, then only those Labour seats that are in the 15 are affected as targets, and the remainder as defences. Given the climate, I don't really think the outcome of the latter will be impacted.

Even if you say that the overspend resulted in a 10% increase in the Tory vote in those 2.4% of GB constituencies, what does that translate into in terms of share of the total GB vote? 0.1%?
  • Options
    "This is a local election for local people"

https://www.ft.com/content/8f169d1e-2bfd-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c
  • Options

calum said:
    Pretty sure I can feel an 'intervention' rumbling into life from distant Kirkcaldy..
    Lives in LA now !!
  • Options

If you're leaking you're losing.

Judging by the frankly ridiculous squawking on here today, that's obviously wrong.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

That implies the Tories are piling on votes in seats that belong to other parties.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,009
    edited May 2017
    Mr. NorthWales, and if May wins, the Justice Secretary might wish to bear in mind that people are innocent until proven guilty, and that justice is for the accused and the accuser alike.

Edited extra bit: and well said, incidentally.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I was saying that before the last election we heard interminably about Labour's ground game and the personal votes built on local activism of various Lib Dem MPs. In the end neither mattered a damn. I don't know of any reason why volunteers charging around in a bus in areas they don't even know should be more effective. I very much doubt this excess or undeclared (since in many cases the spending would not have put the candidate above the limits) had much impact at all.

So all this effort by the Tories produced nothing. Would the Tories have won Thanet South if Nick Timothy and his team not been holed up in the smart Ramsgate hotel for weeks? He was certainly given the accolades afterwards.

What evidence do you have that it did? Certainly, and beyond doubt the intention to make a difference was there. But that does not mean that it did nor that the results are therefore distorted and not a proper basis for assessment in 2017 which I think was your point.

Of course whether they were successful or not is an entirely different question from whether criminal offences were committed. There is absolutely no need for the CPS to show the expenditure made a difference. Which might be just as well.
    Then why do it ? Are you guys so inefficient that you bus in people , put them up in swanky hotels for no effect ?
    Surely everyone recognises that there is a great deal of displacement activity in politics. How many leaflets earnestly delivered go straight into the bin unread? Has standing outside polling stations ever changed anything? Who goes to local public meetings that hasn't already made up their mind? Can GOTV really help if your supporters are not motivated or unimpressed with your national leadership?

My belief is that over the last 40 years or so this has got ever more true with the largely artificial campaign events of the leaders being reported by the national media being the campaign and setting out the key issues for the election. Bye elections are arguably different but GEs and indeed LA elections seem to me to reflect national polling and results way more than local factors.

I may be wrong. But can anyone point to any evidence that this bussing actually made a difference?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

That implies the Tories are piling on votes in seats that belong to other parties.
    I say 'new' if you look at the date it was march
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Or TMay knew that Jean-Claude Jeroboam-for-lunch Juncker would leak, and decided to be obdurate and demanding, to improve her election chances.
    A theory quickly ruled out on the basis that the Prime Minister could win this election blindfold with a majority of 75.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

Cui did it?. The EU Commission without a doubt to show May's position is untenable. (I think they were also genuinely a bit shocked). You could say it was a big breach of trust, which will make the negotiations harder going forward. Or you could say, Mrs May's position is actually untenable and the sooner she becomes more realistic the sooner we can move on and sort things out.

My personal view is that Mrs May's position is untenable but the EU's leak isn't helpful to them, fascinating as it is. The false assumptions behind Brexit have solidified over decades. They will unwind, as they must, but the EU can let that happen in an orderly way without weakening their position further.

The EU wants a deal on its terms. The trick for them is getting us to agree an arrangement that is materially worse than what we had had before because the alternative is worse again. That takes some subtlety.

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

German is an official language of Luxembourg isn't it?

https://twitter.com/TonyParsonsUK/status/858995006648066049

The stoopids are in charge now.

Part of the country really has gone mad. Is padded cell Brexit an option?
    You should come to Scotland, William. Last night I encountered a young SNP supporter who insisted that the SNP are polling at 66%; the Scottish government has a say in immigration policy; the Scottish parliament has a legal right to call another independence referendum; Shetlanders view themselves as Scots; the SNP has a majority at Holyrood, without support from anyone else; that if an independent Scotland joins the EU and rUK stays outside the single market and customs union then it will be up to the Scottish government whether or not to have the border as a hard external EU one or to be in a single market with rUK; and that the three main Scottish unionist parties are not Scottish but are "branch offices" of "English" parties.
    Peak anecdotage.

I've got one. I 'met' someone on here last year pre referendum who suggested that the EU Leave vote might be higher in Scotland than the rUK. He was a sharp one alright.
    You're not trying to throw factually wrong statements in with a wrong prediction? They're very different.

The kind of brainwashed SNP-voting bigots of whom I met a specimen last night are all over the place in Scotland and online. Things go a certain way and within a short period they could easily be putting people's windows in.

Do you find that using fashionable phrasing such as "peak anecdotage" helps you convey what you want to say?
    'Fashionable', lol.

I think it covers the sort of 'anonymous bloke makes rubbish point badly with unverifiable story' pish that abounds on the internet.

I mean, I could say that I talked to some dude last night that said you used to post on here under another name but got banned for tinfoilhattery with an anti-semitic tinge, but that wouldn't make it true, would it?
    So you are calling me a liar. How out of touch with attitudes in Scotland you are. Or you don't want to know. Or you know full well that these attitudes are widespread but you don't like them being brought to light.

"Makes rubbish point badly"? I was reporting what I'd experienced and what anyone with their ears open in Scotland knows is illustrative of what is widespread. You respond by sneering and accusing. That fits.

You might also like to check the meaning of the word "anonymous". Go and insult someone else, you silly little person with your silly fashionable terminology and your inexpert sarcasm. I will not continue this with you.

• Options
    isam said:

If the Tories were found to have overspent in 2015 in Thanet South, would it matter if the MP was charged after GE2017?

I would imagine that the 2017 election would be perfectly valid. However, if any criminal charges were brought against someone and he/she was convicted, then that is another matter.

I am not sure if he/she ceases to be an MP automatically. A speeding fine is criminal. Nobody resigns as a result !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,263
    edited May 2017
    calum said:

calum said:
    Lives in LA now !!
    Does he?! I couldn't think of a more unlikely setting for Gordy if I tried.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Some of this is raised expectation. The only case I know of that I have experience is literally an accounting issue. And I mean literally. The expenses locally were below the limit and the expenses attributed to the national campaign if put up the local would have still been under the local spending limits. But the local constabulary have still sent a file for prosecution. Just remember that when predicting the fall out. There is no way on earth that any prosecution would be in the interests of justice.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Entertaining detail in the Downing Street talks story - Davis taking the opportunity to score off May by reminiscing about how he blocked her plans in the past:

The Europeans evidently scratched their heads in some bafflement at this novel approach to team negotiations.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Or TMay knew that Jean-Claude Jeroboam-for-lunch Juncker would leak, and decided to be obdurate and demanding, to improve her election chances.

She wasn't being obdurate and demanding, she was stating the obvious, and repeating her long-standing position that we want a deal good for both sides.

It does look as though our EU friends are genuinely surprised that we're not falling over ourselves to pay them €60bn for nothing in return. I don't think they are faking it, unfortunately.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2017
    spudgfsh said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

I say 'new' if you look at the date it was march
    Which was before the UKIP slump in the polls.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    SeanT said:

It says in the article she knows she's going to win.

Leaks happen. This one was to a German newspaper. It's much more about setting out a stall for voters there. But none of it should be a surprise. Brexit means Brexit, as May used to say.

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

(((Dan Hodges)))‏Verified account @DPJHodges 19m19 minutes ago

Some suggestion JC strategy is to campaign is seats with significant Corbynite membership in preparation for 3'rd leadership contest.

Who will rid us of this turbulent priest?

I read that from a BBC politics chappy a couple of days ago, seemed prescient at the time.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

That implies that any Leave-voting Labour marginal or semi-safe seat is in play.
  • Options

I expect the leak is aimed at giving other parts of the EU an idea of the scale of the task ahead.

And they can only do that by leaking to FAZ?

Either this was done deliberately - to what purpose?

Improve May's chances? Frighten us into line?

Or it's a cock up.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

I wrote a few days ago that it's likely the Tory vote will flatline or decline slightly in seats like Tatton and Kensington, whereas it'll go up by 5-10% in the rustbelt.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Surely everyone recognises that there is a great deal of displacement activity in politics. How many leaflets earnestly delivered go straight into the bin unread? Has standing outside polling stations ever changed anything? Who goes to local public meetings that hasn't already made up their mind? Can GOTV really help if your supporters are not motivated or unimpressed with your national leadership?

My belief is that over the last 40 years or so this has got ever more true with the largely artificial campaign events of the leaders being reported by the national media being the campaign and setting out the key issues for the election. Bye elections are arguably different but GEs and indeed LA elections seem to me to reflect national polling and results way more than local factors.

I may be wrong. But can anyone point to any evidence that this bussing actually made a difference?
    At the margins, it can, and sometimes victories are marginal.
  • Options

When the EU27 announced their barmy position that the exit deal (including their absurd ransom demand) had to be agreed before discussion on the future relationship could start, I commented that this battle plan wouldn't survive 5 minutes contact with the enemy, since the issues are clearly linked.

David Davis, the secretary of state for exiting the EU, is said to have retorted that the rest of the EU could not do anything about the financial demands once the UK had left because it would no longer answer to the rulings of the European court of justice (ECJ).

Juncker pointed out that the UK wanted a trade deal, but without agreement on money there would be no desire among the 27 member states to make that happen. The whole exit process would change, the commission president is said to have responded.

Quite how they expect to discuss the Irish border issue without knowing what border and customs controls will be necessary is an even bigger mystery.

That's not actually the EU position. The EU position is that sufficient progress needs to be made on the divorce bill and that the Council of Ministers will decide what sufficient progress is.

• Options
    surbiton said:

IanB2 said:

TSE had some information on this the other day. Basically there are (after extension) 2 years in which charges must be brought but that 2 years runs from the time the declarations were put in. There is 5 weeks to do this but many do it straight away. It will vary by constituency but it seems to me that unless the returns were late the last date on which charges can be brought will be 4th June (5 weeks after 7th May 2015) and in many cases earlier for the reasons I have said.

Of course the fact people have been charged does not have to be declared until after 8th June but the chances are we will know before the election whether charges have been brought.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444
    Will the Tories be able to keep the lid on the bleak political and economic winter that awaits us later in 2017 for all of the next five weeks?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

SeanT said:

She wasn't being obdurate and demanding, she was stating the obvious, and repeating her long-standing position that we want a deal good for both sides.

It does look as though our EU friends are genuinely surprised that we're not falling over ourselves to pay them €60bn for nothing in return. I don't think they are faking it, unfortunately.
    The ability to misread a serious situation is a defining characteristic of the EU.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2017
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

spudgfsh said:

That would make sense.

There will come the point when UNS breaks down w.r.t. very safe seats, of course. If one party holds 60%, even 70%, of the vote in a constituency and a further national swing occurs in its favour then that may no longer be reflected in such a seat, because its vote is already maxed out there.

No matter how securely the Tories hold the wealthiest rural constituencies, or Labour or the SNP hold the poorest urban ones, neither party is ever going to get up to 100% of the vote. There will always be a certain amount of backing for other parties.

Thus, if the Conservatives are already more-or-less maxed out in their hundred or so safest seats, then all the projected increase in their vote share would have to take place in the remaining constituencies. The question is, are they outperforming most in the marginals that they need to capture, or are they building up a greater number of useless votes in very hard, or impossible, to win seats?

I believe that the Tories outperformed in the key marginals in the last election. If they do the same thing again then, needless to say, they ought to perform better than the polls would necessarily imply.

Although all of this is predicated on the notion that the polls are correct, which they probably aren't. Then, the question is, how much might the polls be out by in the first place?

Prediction isn't easy, is it? Poll numbers are still a better guide than casting the leaders' horoscopes - but only up to a point.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

I expect the leak is aimed at giving other parts of the EU an idea of the scale of the task ahead.

Or it's a cock up.
    just ignore FAZ

i read it everyday on line and its coverage of Brexit is parrot like EU

they called the vote, wrong they called the UK economy wrong and the called Mrs May wrong

their journos seem tp spend all their time in london at the same dinner parties as young meeks.

this is then reported as the vox pop in wolverhampton
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

You don't have to answer this because it's a personal question, but am I correct in thinking you have never been divorced? They (and we) are behaving like a divorced couple: both sides are prepared to act reasonably (by their own definitions of "reasonably"), find the other person's stance incomprehensible, and are trying for everything they can get, convinced that the other person cannot survive without them.

Juncker's leaking of the dinner is the equivalent of Angelina briefing against Brad to the paps.
    I've never been divorced but my parents were divorced, my brother is divorced, my sister is divorced, my Dad got divorced twice, I've seen too many divorces, and I understand divorce (it's one reason I've never been married, and never will marry).

Yes your analogy is pretty good, but in the end one hopes that logic would prevail on both sides, given the scale and importance of the task. Because this actually isn't a divorce, with two emotional people fighting over the kids; it's an important nation leaving a very large, complex trading bloc, and millions of livelihoods, on both sides, depend on the negotiators setting aside their personal feelings, and getting it right.

Getting it right involves the UK accepting the EU has the whip hand and that the focus should be on persuading them that it in their interests to give us a good deal, even if this falls short of what we have now trade-wise. It will mean us making many more concessions than them; and that's the big problem May has.

• Options
    edited May 2017

That's not actually the EU position. The EU position is that sufficient progress needs to be made on the divorce bill and that the Council of Ministers will decide what sufficient progress is.

What's the difference?

The fact is, the two sides can't even begin to discuss any exit bill, still less the Irish border, without first figuring out what the trading relationship is going to look like. They might be able to discuss reciprocal rights to EU and British citizens; indeed, they could have done that months ago as the UK suggested, but everything else - literally everything - depends massively on what the future relationship is going to be.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

Or it's a cock up.
    Never misunderestimate peoples ability to make a cock-up.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Brexit negotiations aren't all win/win or lose/lose. There is a large zero sum element to them because the UK and the EU have existential claims that are incompatible: "the UK doesn't need to be a member of the EU to get everything it wants"; "Benefits accrue from membership of the EU"

Edit and also because as a disconnection event, Brexit is harmful. Both parties want the damage to fall on the other side.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    IanB2 said:

Will the Tories be able to keep the lid on the bleak political and economic winter that awaits us later in 2017 for all of the next five weeks?

I hope so. I need for them to hold it together for another 8 months.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

rpjs said:

SeanT said:

I don't believe that. But if it is true, they have fatally misjudged the British psyche. We are a proud, stubborn and obstinate people. Perhaps these are grievous faults, but that's the case.
    Indeed we are, sometimes to the point of stupidity, which is where we're heading right now.
    If we Brexit to disaster, we will blame it on the EU (especially after all the shit they're pumping out about United Ireland, Gibraltar etc, it seems actively hostile - ditto "Brexit cannot be a success" - was Juncker drinking when he said that?). And once we've blamed it on the EU, returning to the EU will be utterly impossible for many decades, if not forever.
    I don't know why everyone is reading what Juncker said as a statement of intent. Clearly that is his firmly-held opinion, and is shared by many other leaders of the EU and the EU27.

And as to staying out for decades or forever, let's see what a Great Depression scale of GDP contraction does to concentrate minds, should it come to that.
  • Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

I've never been divorced but my parents were divorced, my brother is divorced, my sister is divorced, my Dad got divorced twice, I've seen too many divorces, and I understand divorce (it's one reason I've never been married, and never will marry).

Yes your analogy is pretty good, but in the end one hopes that logic would prevail on both sides, given the scale and importance of the task. Because this actually isn't a divorce, with two emotional people fighting over the kids; it's an important nation leaving a very large, complex trading bloc, and millions of livelihoods, on both sides, depend on the negotiators setting aside their personal feelings, and getting it right.

Getting it right involves the UK accepting the EU has the whip hand and that the focus should be on persuading them that it in their interests to give us a good deal, even if this falls short of what we have now trade-wise. It will mean us making many more concessions than them; and that's the big problem May has.

having the whip hand sort of depends what you want, the eu and uk want different things
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Y0kel said:

Big G probably has this right but it shows a difference of mentality between the UK and large parts of the continent. As a populous you back the British people up against a wall and the likely response is 'come on then, do your worst you sack of bastards'.

Too many EU officials are giving off the kind of approach that is likely to get just such a reaction. I'm not sure they get that.

If this was a domestic situation the jilted partner, in this case the EU, would have a restraining order taken out against it for obsessive behaviour.

Those who voted against Leave are by and large under no illusions. Those who cant handle the result have spent their time denigrating the majority of those who voted.

So the EU are in the wrong. Remainers can't handle the result. EU officials are asking for it. And you and your mates are up for a ruck. I feel better already.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

They've made it pretty clear, indeed very clear, that "sufficient progress" means - inter alia -
    agreeing to the €60bn, and lifelong ECJ rights for EU citizens in the UK. For starters.

An opening figure has been suggested by some. Ours is presumably zero. This is how negotiations begin. There is plenty of wriggle room if you look at the formal positions.

• Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

having the whip hand sort of depends what you want, the eu and uk want different things

We want our cake and to eat it too. In reality, though, there is no outcome that does not ending up hurting the UK more than it hurts the EU.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

They've made it pretty clear, indeed very clear, that "sufficient progress" means - inter alia -
    agreeing to the €60bn, and lifelong ECJ rights for EU citizens in the UK. For starters.

I think the EU elite consider that the EU is only option for everyone (like your Catholic/Reformation analogy you've used before). They intellectually and politically just cannot even conceive of the idea of a country leaving the EU and being better off.

Hence the "Brexit cannot be a success" and ridiculous demands designed to make everything fail.

• Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

In my ongoing quest to out-geek Sunil, there is (horribly) an apt TNG quote for this: "When a man is convinced he's going to die tomorrow, he'll probably find a way to make it happen" The UK needs hope that the process will yield results. It plainly doesn't have it and is taking refuge in increasingly baroque anti-EU diatribes as a result (hence my use of "failing and blaming"). It would help if Juncker was off-team, but unfortunately his term expires in 2019. I wish I had better news for you.

But anyhoo. If you'll excuse me, I have work to do this affy and must away.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

IanB2 said:

TSE had some information on this the other day. Basically there are (after extension) 2 years in which charges must be brought but that 2 years runs from the time the declarations were put in. There is 5 weeks to do this but many do it straight away. It will vary by constituency but it seems to me that unless the returns were late the last date on which charges can be brought will be 4th June (5 weeks after 7th May 2015) and in many cases earlier for the reasons I have said.

Of course the fact people have been charged does not have to be declared until after 8th June but the chances are we will know before the election whether charges have been brought.
    Sorry that should have said 11th June, not the 4th. But most will be before the election.
  • Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

We want our cake and to eat it too. In reality, though, there is no outcome that does not ending up hurting the UK more than it hurts the EU.

EU gets compensated - we don't !
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

rpjs said:

SeanT said:

I don't believe that. But if it is true, they have fatally misjudged the British psyche. We are a proud, stubborn and obstinate people. Perhaps these are grievous faults, but that's the case.
    Indeed we are, sometimes to the point of stupidity, which is where we're heading right now.
    If we Brexit to disaster, we will blame it on the EU (especially after all the shit they're pumping out about United Ireland, Gibraltar etc, it seems actively hostile - ditto "Brexit cannot be a success" - was Juncker drinking when he said that?). And once we've blamed it on the EU, returning to the EU will be utterly impossible for many decades, if not forever.
    I don't know why everyone is reading what Juncker said as a statement of intent. Clearly that is his firmly-held opinion, and is shared by many other leaders of the EU and the EU27.

And as to staying out for decades or forever, let's see what a Great Depression scale of GDP contraction does to concentrate minds, should it come to that.

Very, very few people behave like the prodigal son. People rationalise the big decisions they've taken.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

IanB2 said:

Do they have to be arrested to be charged? And if charged, how long can the delay be before the first court appearance?
  • Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

like all remainers you only see things in short term monetary gains
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    justin124 said:

BigRich said:

On the other hand, if there is only going to be say one prosecution, then people will have to drop their "all Tories are crooks" schtick that they are currently enjoying - complaints made on the basis of, let's face it, politically motivated complaints..... So they will be happy for it to run until election day.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

What are the long term non-monetary gains of leaving?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Cyan said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

IanB2 said:

Do they have to be arrested to be charged? And if charged, how long can the delay be before the first court appearance?
    The answer to the first question is "yes", you have to be arrested before charge, though you need not be remanded in custody.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,009
    Mr. Observer, the EU does have more weight on trade.

But it's not entirely one-sided.

And there's the issue of military and security/intelligence services. It's my understanding we leave Europol automatically on departing the EU, so unless an agreement is reached we won't immediately rejoin.

A sensible agreement benefits both sides. With French, British and German elections all within a few months, there'll be a lot of puffed out chests and swaggering. Once they're done, hopefully reason and mutual benefit rather than national tubthumping will be the way forward.

As far leaks, these are likelier the more one has to drink, so we can't really be surprised.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

IanB2 said:

You'd be better asking an English lawyer that. I don't think arrest is relevant to the process or the time limits.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    calum said:

I do wonder if they are of the misguided opinion that by making their comments in the way they have that opinion in the UK is likely to force Theresa May to surrender to them

They do not know this Country or Theresa May. Also reports from France that Macron is getting worried as Le Pen closes on him. He is calling for wide scale EU reform and does look a bit worried.

The French election is only going to add to the EU problems no matter the result.

If the EU27 leave Juncker and Barnier in charge, there will be no deal.
    http://lifestuff.xyz/blog/deal-or-no-deal
    Just one last point. If Juncker thinks the way to intimidate the Brits is by threatening them, he really ought to read a bit more history.
    Maybe he should start with BT Project Fear !!
    If you move to TalkTalk, nobody will ever call you again?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Cui did it?. The EU Commission without a doubt to show May's position is untenable. (I think they were also genuinely a bit shocked). You could say it was a big breach of trust, which will make the negotiations harder going forward. Or you could say, Mrs May's position is actually untenable and the sooner she becomes more realistic the sooner we can move on and sort things out.

My personal view is that Mrs May's position is untenable but the EU's leak isn't helpful to them, fascinating as it is. The false assumptions behind Brexit have solidified over decades. They will unwind, as they must, but the EU can let that happen in an orderly way without weakening their position further.

The EU wants a deal on its terms. The trick for them is getting us to agree an arrangement that is materially worse than what we had had before because the alternative is worse again. That takes some subtlety.

This leak was the opposite of subtle. They are driving TMay towards Fuck You Brexit.
    Makes sense will keep the other 27 in check .However the new Farage supporters can keep telling us that no deal is better than a bad deal and lessons on German car sales and how they need the UK.
  • Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

I suppose that depends on whether you consider 'increased democratic accountability' a 'hurt'
  • Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

What are the long term non-monetary gains of leaving?
    control of your own destiny, civil cohesion, laws to your own requirements for starters
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Cyan no they do not have to be arrested to be charged; an individual can be postal charged these days or simply summonsed of course.
  • Options

What's the difference?

The fact is, the two sides can't even begin to discuss any exit bill, still less the Irish border, without first figuring out what the trading relationship is going to look like. They might be able to discuss reciprocal rights to EU and British citizen; indeed, they could have done that months ago as the UK suggested, but everything else - literally everything - depends massively on what the future relationship is going to be.

The difference is there is a lot of potential flexibility in being able to define what progress looks like: "if" becomes a key word in such circumstances. Thus, if we can agree such and such, we will pay such and such over such and such a period. It's the kind of thing that the EU does all the time.

As for citizens' rights, two very different accounts of what has happened up to now are floating around. The EU says it made an offer that May rejected. It's a shame the British government will not tell us what offer it made to the EU.

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    I doubt bussing in activists would sway an election enough to make a difference. Of course there's no way of proving it, unless you poll every single voter in a constituency asking them their motivations for voting in a certain way. Would seeing more posters, or receiving more leaflets, really have serious influence? I know the Dimeral Lebocrats are still sore at being outplayed by their own ground game, but they themselves have serious form in this guerailla type electioneering, and if they had had the resources to bus in activists UK wide, they undoubtedly would have done.

Anyway, I do not think the public are as fickle as we all tend to think regarding elections.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

What is the long term non-economic gain from Brexit? The only way to conjure one up is to hope the EU collapses.

The only serious European power that rejects EU norms spends so much energy trying to destroy it for exactly this reason.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    SeanT said:

rpjs said:

SeanT said:

I think the UK and the EU are defining 'success' in different ways, and it's very likely that both will be correct in their own terms.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

I remember a fair amount of scorn and derision being directed at Crick when these investigations first started. I think it is worth recognising what a great service he has done the country in exposing these practices.

Why did he focus on only one party? And don't tell me they weren't all at it, that's just not credible.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

As a sometime local election agent, I can assure you that standing outside the polling stations and the rest of the GOTV effort certainly can have an impact. If you don't do it and your opponents do then you've already conceded them a big advantage. One campaign I ran we were expecting at best to squeak a win, more likely come a fairly close runner up and we won by quite a comfortable margin. I do think our GOTV effort, which by our figures showed we were yielding a better differential turnout than the opposition, made all the difference. (Oh and excellent my eve-of-poll leaflet :) )
  • Options

Why did he focus on only one party? And don't tell me they weren't all at it, that's just not credible.
    Because Mark Clarke decided to get his revenge on the Tory party.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

If the EU isn't able/willing to replace Juncker and Barnier - and why should they? - does a neutral country need to mediate in negotiations between the hostile parties so that they don't break down?

Neutral in this context would mean a non-member of the EU, not a non-member of NATO.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Getting it right involves the UK accepting the EU has the whip hand and that the focus should be on persuading them that it in their interests to give us a good deal, even if this falls short of what we have now trade-wise. It will mean us making many more concessions than them; and that's the big problem May has

The EU is a big and complex body that incorporates every major country in Europe. If we want a meaningful relationship with our neighbours we have no choice but to deal with the EU. As a non member that means doing what they tell us. As we left the EU mainly because we didn't like that we are in quandary:

1. We go for a close relationship where we are outside the EU but have no influence over it and our relationship with it.

2. We go Bhutan and cut ourselves off with all the consequences that implies.

3. We go for a close relationship as a member of the EU with the same level of influence as similar members.

We rejected (3) through a democratic vote, we don't want (2) and we can't bear (1). We have never faced up to the real choices.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,133
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But how big are those margins ?

How many extra votes does bussing in a coachload of Toryboys actually get the Conservatives ?

Are we talking tens of votes, or hundreds ?
  • Options

The difference is there is a lot of potential flexibility in being able to define what progress looks like: "if" becomes a key word in such circumstances. Thus, if we can agree such and such, we will pay such and such over such and such a period. It's the kind of thing that the EU does all the time.

In other words, they are talking nonsense when they try to say the exit agreement and the future trading relationship are separate.

As for citizens' rights, two very different accounts of what has happened up to now are floating around. The EU says it made an offer that May rejected. It's a shame the British government will not tell us what offer it made to the EU.

It would actually be far better if, as the PM has suggested, if they stopped trying to negotiate in public and instead disappeared into a smoke-free room and negotiated the outlines of the whole deal. Unfortunately our EU friends don't seem to be willing to do that, which certainly much reduces the chances of a deal which is good for both sides.
  • Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

What is the long term non-economic gain from Brexit? The only way to conjure one up is to hope the EU collapses.

The only serious European power that rejects EU norms spends so much energy trying to destroy it for exactly this reason.
    total guff

most of the world is outside the EU and works successfully. The EU is a failing power block a decline made faster by our departure
This discussion has been closed.