Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON GE2015 target seat over-spending issue throws into que

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IainMcGill: Nicola Sturgeon: Scottish independence is ‘at the heart’ of election http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-scottish-independence-is-at-the-heart-of-election-1-4434160 #indyref2 #GE2017
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    'Why would the EU do that when they know we need a deal more than they do? They've read all the dealmaking books too and have been involved in a fair few negotiations. They know how to play the game.'

Do they?

Their track record suggests the opposite

They offered us a crap deal to stay in the EU on the basis we would never vote to leave....

After we voted to leave they thought we would reconsider.....

After we didn't reconsider they thought we would want to stay in the single market / customs union...

Surely they can't get it wrong yet again ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

On another note entirely - you know when you're a fat git when you lose two stone in weight and no-one notices!!

Congratulations! keep it up, and keep the weight off.

You may be interested in this little web tool developed by my University:

http://riskscore.diabetes.org.uk/start

FWIW, I have a BMI of 28 and a score of 15. Higher than I would like, and a powerful motivator.

Cheers, that is very good indeed. My BMI is much higher, risk level 17. I will keep going!!

Can I also recommend the Million step challenge from Diabetes UK (one of the best UK health charities FWIW).

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Fundraising-events/million-step/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Rochdale update: Danczuk to stand as an Independent, so worth a flutter on the LDs, I'd say.

You think the LDs will win back the Cyril Smith personal vote?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Rochdale update: Danczuk to stand as an Independent, so worth a flutter on the LDs, I'd say.

What about the Tories? At last election, they were (a) 3rd, ahead of the Lib Dems, and (b) the combined vote share of the Conservative and 2nd placed Ukip candidates was 35.8%, i.e. 10.3% adrift of Danczuk.

Rochdale is so far down the Conservative target list that it must fall outside of the top 150, but given the circumstances that you describe it can't be regarded as totally unwinnable, surely?
    Until the 1958 by election Rochdale was a Tory seat!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

My dealmaking style is get a deal. Yours is wave your willy around and then influct immense harm on yourself.

I like the word 'influct'. We need to find a good meaning for it so that we can use it every day.

'influct', v.t.: to commit gross harm to onself, to f*uck oneself over, especially in relation to ceding concessions unnecessarily in negotiations.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm not sure what we're supposed to learn from that, other that don't make threats you don't wish to see called.

Like not trying to pretend that 'no deal is better than a bad deal'?

Greece actually had more leverage than we have now.
    No.

We have a lot more leverage. If we leave without a deal it will be painful. But nothing like as painful as a disorderly Euro exit.
    Absolutely. Sterling might fall again but it will not drop 50%. In any case, UK is to some extent like Japan. Japan has very high debts [ about 250% of GDP ]. But most of it are with Japanese banks.

That is why I have never understood this obsession with Debt / GDP or more precisely actual deficit numbers even if Debt/GDP ratio was falling. What's wrong with a small deficit but with the ratio falling.

Trump's likely budget: Do they give a damn ? What happened to the national debt under Reagan ?
    Because with an even smaller deficit, or a surplus, the ratio falls faster. The same goes for the amount spent on debt interest, which is currently equivalent to the half of the schools budget.
    But if ever there was a time to do a soft landing , it is now with interest rates so low. Why tear up the social fabric when the "cost" of debt , for governments, almost a tenth of what it was 10 years ago. Even 30 year gilts are around 1.7% now.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited May 2017

On another note entirely - you know when you're a fat git when you lose two stone in weight and no-one notices!!

FWIW, I have a BMI of 28 and a score of 15. Higher than I would like, and a powerful motivator.

Cheers, that is very good indeed. My BMI is much higher, risk level 17. I will keep going!!

Keep up the good work Mr Observer!

Apparently my BMI is 26.3 giving me a factor of 8, but if I lose that 1.3 and get my BMI to 24.9 then I will go from the second lowest category to the lowest. My biggest factor is my age :( but apart from weight, all my other factors are zero.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Congratulations & commisserations!

I'm trying the 5:2 diet which is remarkably easy after the first couple of weeks....
    Is that the one where you eat very little 2 days of the week ?
    Exactly. 5 days eat as you normally would, (try to be sensible, but effectively 'no change') and on two days limit yourself to 600 calories - one light meal, or several snacks (I find apples good) and a lighter meal - drink plenty of water. I found the first couple of weeks tough for two days, now its easy - I also found I've appreciated the taste of food more and don't try to 'catch up' by eating more on the non-fasting days. Haven't looked at the scales, but some clothes are noticeably looser....
    On and off, I have tried various but none of them sincerely [ I mean without cheating ]. THe only time it has really worked is by actually counting what I ate. There are websites for that e.g. Spark. I was looking from a diabetics point of view but the principle is the same.

Good luck with yours.
    Low carb high fat. Although Dr Foxinsox probably wouldn't approve (although as diabetes is a problem with dealing with carbohydrates it seems to me the best strategy is to stop eating them). It is self sustaining, as fat is more satiating and you train your body to burn fat rather than expect a constant top-up of sugary and starchy snacks
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Page 23 SNP manifesto 2016

"We believe that the Scottish
    Parliament should have the right to
    hold another referendum ....... – or if there is
    a significant and material change in
    the circumstances that prevailed in
    2014, such as Scotland being taken
    out of the EU against our will"

On that Nicola got 47 per cent of the vote. Cameron held a referendum on 37 per cent.

Or alternatively Cameron had a parliamentary majority for it - so has Sturgeon.

For any democrat the mandate is unanswerable. Of course we should no longer take democratic acceptance as a given these days - at least not from Tory PBers. .
  • Options

Talking about diets much better than Brexit. Keeps the blood pressure low.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Nigelb said:

And nowhere near as painful as what Greece actually went through.

On a rational basis, the EU have as much to lose as do we - a smaller percentage of EU GDP, of course, but in nominal terms, probably something similar. Rational actors would come to a reasonable settlement, but sadly I'm far from sure that those negotiating will fall into that category.

The best thing for Greece would have been an orderly Euro exit, with the IMF recapitalising the Greek banking sector, and supporting the rest of the economy through devaluation. The worst thing would have been a disorderly exit. What they did was something in between.

I think it's important to realise just how painful a disorderly exit would have been. The Greek economy in 2015 ran a (large) primary budget deficit, and was also utterly dependent on tourism from the rest of the EU.

At the point of departure, the Greek government owed many billions to the EU and the ECB. The Greek government would not have been able to raise money abroad because it would have been in default. Greek banks would have been shut out of funding, and would have seen their remaining deposits fly out the door as depositors desparately tried to get Euros before devaluation day.

Greek companies would have Euro, Dollar and Sterling obligations to overseas suppliers, and those bills would not have been redenominated downwards; instead they would have had to be paid out of bank accounts that now only had Drachma in them.

With an economy utterly dependent on tourism for foreign currency income, there would be no easy substitutes for Greece from the Europeans. 18% of Greek GDP is from tourism, and more than 60% of its foreign currency earnings.

Now, longer term, the Greek economy and tourism would benefit from being outside the Eurozone (because prices would be lower). But in the short term, visitors not being able to use banks to withdraw money (because Greek banks were shut out of the international system) would have been utterly catastrophic.

Personal view (repeated ad nauseum on here) is that the Greek should have taken the IMF offer at the beginning of 2015 and left the Eurozone in an orderly fashion supported by the IMF and the EU. It would have been painful, because they would still have had to make the cuts to public expenditure they made under the IMF/troika plan. But it would also have enabled them to default outside the Eurozone and to cut debt-to-GDP to perhaps 100%. I have no doubt that the economy would be growing nicely now if they had done that. But both Varoufakis (who refused to make cuts to spending) and Tsipras (who feared he could not hold his party together if he left the Eurozone) who made the choice to stay. (And once they made that choice, and after their bluff had been called, their negotiating position was shot to hell.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm not sure what we're supposed to learn from that, other that don't make threats you don't wish to see called.

Like not trying to pretend that 'no deal is better than a bad deal'?

Greece actually had more leverage than we have now.
    No.

We have a lot more leverage. If we leave without a deal it will be painful. But nothing like as painful as a disorderly Euro exit.
    Absolutely. Sterling might fall again but it will not drop 50%. In any case, UK is to some extent like Japan. Japan has very high debts [ about 250% of GDP ]. But most of it are with Japanese banks.

That is why I have never understood this obsession with Debt / GDP or more precisely actual deficit numbers even if Debt/GDP ratio was falling. What's wrong with a small deficit but with the ratio falling.

Trump's likely budget: Do they give a damn ? What happened to the national debt under Reagan ?
    Because with an even smaller deficit, or a surplus, the ratio falls faster. The same goes for the amount spent on debt interest, which is currently equivalent to the half of the schools budget.
    But if ever there was a time to do a soft landing , it is now with interest rates so low. Why tear up the social fabric when the "cost" of debt , for governments, almost a tenth of what it was 10 years ago. Even 30 year gilts are around 1.7% now.
    Arguably that has what has been done - we still have a big deficit, and the next recession must be coming up pretty soon.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

On that Nicola got 47 per cent of the vote. Cameron held a referendum on 37 per cent.

For any democrat the mandate is unanswerable. Of course we should no longer take democratic acceptance as a given these days - at least not from Tory PBers. .

But she didn't win a majority, and the Greens went back on their manifesto commitment.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

scotslass said:

Quidder

Why is the mandate from last year wrong pray tell?

I've yet to see a petition as per the Green's manifesto.
    A petition is sufficient but not necessary.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Talking about diets much better than Brexit. Keeps the blood pressure low.
    Makes me even more depressed than Brexit negotiations lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

I'm trying the 5:2 diet which is remarkably easy after the first couple of weeks....
    Exactly. 5 days eat as you normally would, (try to be sensible, but effectively 'no change') and on two days limit yourself to 600 calories - one light meal, or several snacks (I find apples good) and a lighter meal - drink plenty of water. I found the first couple of weeks tough for two days, now its easy - I also found I've appreciated the taste of food more and don't try to 'catch up' by eating more on the non-fasting days. Haven't looked at the scales, but some clothes are noticeably looser....
    I did try that and found it a bit too challenging. Since it was effectively removing around 3,000 calories a week by cutting back on two days, I went for a more moderate 4:3 diet so I limit myself to 1,000 calories for three days a week. The weight loss is about the same but I am probably losing the benefits of the "restriction" side of the diet but since I have no health issues I am not worried about that side of things.
  • Options
    walterw said:

'Why would the EU do that when they know we need a deal more than they do? They've read all the dealmaking books too and have been involved in a fair few negotiations. They know how to play the game.'

Do they?

Their track record suggests the opposite

They offered us a crap deal to stay in the EU on the basis we would never vote to leave....

After we voted to leave they thought we would reconsider.....

After we didn't reconsider they thought we would want to stay in the single market / customs union...

Surely they can't get it wrong yet again ?

I don't think that correct at all. The EU27 accepted that Brexit means Brexit means Hard Brexit from the beginning of July. They have been planning it for 10 months now. See Tusk's comments in October last year for example:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/13/its-hard-brexit-or-no-brexit-at-all-says-eu-council-president

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    scotslass said:

Cameron had a majority mandate, Sturgeon inconveniently doesn’t…
  • Options

Update: I've accessed the census data - Rochdale is a relatively young constituency and the population is one quarter Asian-British, the vast majority of whom are Pakistani and Bangladeshi, i.e. there are lots of Muslims in Rochdale (Muslim population: 23.6%.) BES research suggests about 75% of Muslim voters support Labour.

The age and ethnic profile therefore strongly favours Labour. They'll probably hold.

Yeah, looks like a Labour hold. I suppose one could just about envisage the Tories sneaking through if Labour's vote splits three ways Lab/LD/Danczuk, but I suspect Danczuk is not going to get very far. Isn't there some rule about MPs who stand down without re-contesting not getting a redundancy payment?

I'd want more than 4/1 on the Tories.
    I believe so. I seem to recall reading that one of the SNP MPs who had the whip withdrawn wasn't standing again, and as a result would not be entitled to redundancy money. Assuming that this is the case, £500 for a deposit would be a small price for Danczuk to pay to secure a (presumably quite handsome) return.
    I am puzzled about that. Redundancy should be about losing your job. Are you saying a retiring MP does not receive any money ?
  • Options

scotslass said:

That's neither here or there. Both got it through their parliament. Therefore, was legal.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Scott_P said:

@IainMcGill: Nicola Sturgeon: Scottish independence is ‘at the heart’ of election http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-scottish-independence-is-at-the-heart-of-election-1-4434160 #indyref2 #GE2017

Wait, what?!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Update: I've accessed the census data - Rochdale is a relatively young constituency and the population is one quarter Asian-British, the vast majority of whom are Pakistani and Bangladeshi, i.e. there are lots of Muslims in Rochdale (Muslim population: 23.6%.) BES research suggests about 75% of Muslim voters support Labour.

The age and ethnic profile therefore strongly favours Labour. They'll probably hold.

Yeah, looks like a Labour hold. I suppose one could just about envisage the Tories sneaking through if Labour's vote splits three ways Lab/LD/Danczuk, but I suspect Danczuk is not going to get very far. Isn't there some rule about MPs who stand down without re-contesting not getting a redundancy payment?

I'd want more than 4/1 on the Tories.
    I believe so. I seem to recall reading that one of the SNP MPs who had the whip withdrawn wasn't standing again, and as a result would not be entitled to redundancy money. Assuming that this is the case, £500 for a deposit would be a small price for Danczuk to pay to secure a (presumably quite handsome) return.
    I am puzzled about that. Redundancy should be about losing your job. Are you saying a retiring MP does not receive any money ?
    Retiring is not redundancy though.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369

For foxinsocsuk -

Casper Schmeichel to sign for Man Utd after he recently changed agents to replace Real Madrid bound David De Gea

Kasper signed a 5 year deal last summer, reportedly on £100k wages. He will be very expensive for Man Utd.

However our owners are loaded, and last summer refused to sell key players at any price (Kante had a buyout clause, but more recent contracts reputedly do not). They will not sell cheaply and quite likely not at all.
    Money is no object at Man Utd and he was with his Father in the stands at one of Uniteds recent home games. I think the attraction of following in his Fathers's footsteps will also be strong
    He is known to be a Man U fan.

Our owners are substantially as rich as the Glasers, and better businessmen. They will not sell unless they want to, and I don't think they will want to.

Holding players this way is not always wise, we did last year for Vardy, Mahrez and Drinkwater, and it did seem to cause some discontent.

I Think Kasper will only go to a Champions League cup, and I think Man City might make an offer of Joe Hart plus some cash. I think the owners may well go for that if they sell at all.
    You may be right but the clear signs are that he has a new agent and will sign for Man Utd
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    scotslass said:

Quidder

Why is the mandate from last year wrong pray tell?

There is no mandate from last year.
  • Options

surbiton said:

I did try that and found it a bit too challenging. Since it was effectively removing around 3,000 calories a week by cutting back on two days, I went for a more moderate 4:3 diet so I limit myself to 1,000 calories for three days a week. The weight loss is about the same but I am probably losing the benefits of the "restriction" side of the diet but since I have no health issues I am not worried about that side of things.
    My understanding is that 3500 calories = 1 lb So, in your case, cutting 3000 calories a week , you'd lose just under half a kilo a week.

To be honest, I couldn't do that. I have, so far successfully, been losing about 1 kilo a month.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    Please visit my first on the new thread.....
  • Options
    justin124 said:

You think the LDs will win back the Cyril Smith personal vote?
    Other LDs have won in Lancashire, you know...

Looking at the last council elections, the LDs fielded very few candidates, so not sure of the strength of the local party these days.

Key issue here is turnout - the pensioners in Bamford, Norden and Littleborough will turn up and may well go for TMay.

How many of the younger voters in Central and Falinge turn out is crucial for the SLab vote holding up.

Not heard who the LD candidate is yet, but think its a far more open contest than it would seem on paper.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    edited May 2017
    Off-topic:

SPaceX launched a military satellite and returned the first stage back to the landing site. The video is quite remarkable: go to 14m14s to see the stages split and the first stage rotate to come home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQpkQ1etdA#t=14m14s

Blooming remarkable.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

I just use the Stop Eating When You Go Over 180 Pounds Diet. It's so easy it's brilliant. If I go over that figure, I stop eating. I walk around a bit more in the evening, hike up Primrose Hill instead of eating supper. After a day or two, it comes back down. I allow myself breakfast, so I don't faint.

It's seen my weight (which peaked at 210 pounds - ugh - five years ago) remain around 178-180 ever since I lost the blubber in 2014.

The only problem is when I go away and don't have daily access to scales. I've just come back from France and all that pleasant (but not world shattering!) food, and I'm up to 183. So a few days of austerity beckon.....
    If I may ask, how tall are you ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2017
    HaroldO said:

Scott_P said:

Wait, what?!
    Read beyond the headline. What she actually says is the election is about confirming the right of the Scottish parliament to decide to have a referendum.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

On and off, I have tried various but none of them sincerely [ I mean without cheating ]. THe only time it has really worked is by actually counting what I ate. There are websites for that e.g. Spark. I was looking from a diabetics point of view but the principle is the same.

Good luck with yours.
    Low carb high fat. Although Dr Foxinsox probably wouldn't approve (although as diabetes is a problem with dealing with carbohydrates it seems to me the best strategy is to stop eating them). It is self sustaining, as fat is more satiating and you train your body to burn fat rather than expect a constant top-up of sugary and starchy snacks
    I think low carb, and low refined carbs inc sugar in particular, is the way to go. Look at the Glycaemic Index on foods in particular, as high GI foods spark an insulin surge that makes people hungry.

Fat lowers a meals glycaemic index so makes people feel full. In practice fat as too high a percentage of food is not very palatable. Fat also is the best medium to carfy the chemically aromatic compounds that give food its flavour.

Plenty of fibre to soak up the flavour is a good bet too, and also helps satiate. few of us would be injured by eating more veg!

More on glycaemic index here:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Carbohydrates-and-diabetes/Glycaemic-index-and-diabetes/

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Eventually a single state in EU27 will be able to cause a breakdown of Brexit talks. For all the British whingeing about how hard the talks will be, it seems to me that the Commission's job may be a lot harder.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

My understanding is that 3500 calories = 1 lb So, in your case, cutting 3000 calories a week , you'd lose just under half a kilo a week.

To be honest, I couldn't do that. I have, so far successfully, been losing about 1 kilo a month.
    :+1: Do what works. Slow weight loss is better for you than fast weight loss
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,140

Thanks.

26 and 7 for me :smile:

I would like to get my BMI below 25.

I find it easier to do more exercise in summer so I can sometimes push it into the healthy zone by September and then I put the weight on again over winter.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

scotslass said:

That's neither here or there. Both got it through their parliament. Therefore, was legal.
    Sturgeon doesn't have a mandate, though. She only won the vote in the Scottish Parliament because the Green MSPs changed their position into something different from what was in their manifesto. It's legal for MSPs and MPs to vote however they like, but that doesn't give them a mandate. If the SNP had a majority, they would have a mandate. But they lost it. In any case, the Scottish Parliament has decided to send the referendum request.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I think that's bollocks. I lost my weight fast. And kept it off. Fast is psychologically good because it is encouraging: you can see the difference on the scales, and then in the mirror, very quickly. This means you stick to the diet.

Slow is discouraging. Nothing happens. You eat to console yourself. Et voila.
    Slow is considered better because it is usually done by making gradual adjustments to your diet and giving you time to get used to the changes. That way the weight loss stays with you and you do not put weight back on again. Eventually the "diet" becomes your normal intake and your weight stabilises.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Scotland isn't being taken out of the EU against its will. The Scottish people have never been asked if Scotland should leave the EU.

But if that is to be the excuse to renege on the Edinburgh Agreement, then the question on the ballot paper will be "Should Scotland leave the United Kingdom and join the European Union", right?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I think that's bollocks. I lost my weight fast. And kept it off. Fast is psychologically good because it is encouraging: you can see the difference on the scales, and then in the mirror, very quickly. This means you stick to the diet.

Fast is better if you can do it. This may be some help: The Hacker's Diet.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Slow weight loss is better than no weight loss certainly, but there is good scientific evidence that extreme low calorie diets have specific advantages. Read Prof Roy Taylors work on the subject.

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/reversing-type-2-diabetes-the-university-of-newcastle-research-with-diet-plan/

The hardest part is keeping the weight off. Like giving up smoking, most people lapse to old habits.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

scotslass said:

The Scottish Parliament has no power to hold a referendum...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Just looked at Eastleigh County Councillors,
    3 UKIP, 3 LibDem, 1 Tory
    The results for the 3 UKIP in 2013 were only a few percent ahead of the LibDems. I suspect 3 UKIP losses probably to LibDems.
    The GE betting on Betfair was 1/14 Tory and 5/1 LibDem, so I've put a tenner on the previous LibDem MP. He may not win but I think 5/1 is worth a shot.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Slow weight loss is better than no weight loss certainly, but there is good scientific evidence that extreme low calorie diets have specific advantages. Read Prof Roy Taylors work on the subject.

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/reversing-type-2-diabetes-the-university-of-newcastle-research-with-diet-plan/

The hardest part is keeping the weight off. Like giving up smoking, most people lapse to old habits.
    I thought there was considerable evidence that extreme low calorie diets were in fact bad for you, in that, if they persist for more than a few days, they encourage the metabolism to reset at a lower level and that it is very hard to reverse this slow down.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Scotland isn't being taken out of the EU against its will. The Scottish people have never been asked if Scotland should leave the EU.

Why should they be? And if they should be, why shouldn't the residents of Ipswich? Scotland isn't a member of the EU and can't leave it. Get independence first and then have a plebiscite on whether to apply, or on some agreed terms of joining. Or get a mandate for including "Scotland should become independent and apply to join the EU" as an option on a referendum ballot if you want. Sturgeon could announce tomorrow that she is calling a Scottish general election. Saying Scotland should become independent just so that it can keep allowing Poles and Romanians in and be in a single market with Germany be such a delightfully non-xenophobic and outward-looking country that loves being in the EU, at the price of having a hard border with England, with which it carries out the vast majority of its trade, is an extreme example of a political lie.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,140
    SeanT said:

Goldman Sachs moving people to Paris, Milan and Madrid.

But it's not quite the apocalypse some have anticipated. Might be as many as 1000 jobs, but who knows. Could be a lot less.

Meanwhile Barclays have decided on Dublin. And they are moving.... 150 people. Yes. 150.

Bruegel reckons 10,000-30,000 jobs may move in total. POSSIBLY. But if that is as bad as it gets, this is not the End of Days.

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/859108559317061633

I assume that they're being moved from London.

Which will free up office space and housing for other businesses and people.

As it seems business and people from around the world wish to move to London it will thus have effectively no impact at all.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I thought there was considerable evidence that extreme low calorie diets were in fact bad for you, in that, if they persist for more than a few days, they encourage the metabolism to reset at a lower level and that it is very hard to reverse this slow down.
    Yes, this is true. Don't starve!
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I lost nine stone five years ago. A couple have crept back on. But not bad going. :)
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Is this the diet thread or have people not realised a new thread went up a while back?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    SeanT said:

Goldman Sachs moving people to Paris, Milan and Madrid.

But it's not quite the apocalypse some have anticipated. Might be as many as 1000 jobs, but who knows. Could be a lot less.

Meanwhile Barclays have decided on Dublin. And they are moving.... 150 people. Yes. 150.

Bruegel reckons 10,000-30,000 jobs may move in total. POSSIBLY. But if that is as bad as it gets, this is not the End of Days.

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/859108559317061633

In a lot of those cases it won't be a job lost but a new job created elsewhere. The City is a phenomenal wealth and jobs creation engine, in a post-Brexit world released from the shackles of EU regulations those jobs and more will come back in some fashion.
This discussion has been closed.