Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With six weeks to go today’s Commons seats spreads

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@alexmassie: Fascinating @yougov poll in tomorrow's edition of @thetimesscot...

:o Klaxon on standby.
    How's your polling Kremlinology? What does 'fascinating' mean?
    Well I used to think a "fascinating" poll meant it was in fact boring. Last week did away with that one.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

Oooh

@joncraig: Staff in Parliament told by sec sources police were tipped off about man arrested in Whitehall by his family, which probably saved his life.

Excuse my ignorance, but why would a bag full of knives be that much more dangerous than one knife?

Maybe he was taking them to a gang who were going to use them simultaneously?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,705

Yorkcity said:

Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: Radio Derby to PM: Do you know what a mugwump is?

PM: What I recognise is that what we need in this country is strong and stable leadership

Can someone change her battery as the robotic language is begining to grate a bit .
    No :-)

The whole point of May's campaign is to be serious, solid, managerial and dull. Most people don't want further political excitement at present, and certainly not of the variety that Jeremy Corbyn and friends are offering.
    Nevertheless leaving the airwaves and column inches empty to fill with whatever the opposition parties are doing and proposing is a novel, and somewhat risky, strategy for a governing party to sustain through six weeks more of campaigning?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,123
    Andrew said:

Foot was an eminent politician with a strong track record. He wasn't the problem. It was the Party, which had been heavily infiltrated by Marxists and Communists. He was the wrong leader for that time, because he either wouldn't or couldn't stand up to them and clean out the stables. Had he led a more typical social democratic Labour Party largely free of what were highly alien elements, he would have been fine.

Foot was also fairly smart, albeit in an impractical, academic manner. Oxford PPE and all that.

Corbyn clearly .... isn't.
    Foot was a true public servant and a man worthy to be PM even if I personally would not have voted for him. Corbyn is certainly neither of those things.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Scott_P said:

PM: What I recognise is that what we need in this country is strong and stable leadership

Can someone change her battery as the robotic language is begining to grate a bit .
    https://twitter.com/HorizonCSafaris/status/857527370802245632
    This Week did it first. ;)
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Prodicus said:

"In January 2017 Corbyn declared himself in favour of a maximum wage (miraculously “somewhat higher” than the £138,000 he himself earns). His shadow chancellor John McDonnell wants to raise taxes on those earning above £70,000 (miraculously just above his personal salary…). "

I merely quote without comment.

This did not transmit:

https://reaction.life/electing-corbyn-catastrophe-basis-economic-policies-alone/

(System has hacked the last part off a couple of my comments today. Grr.)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

The Rothermere press on Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte. If they are as happy together as they seem to be then good luck to them, but some of the pictures won't go down well with some voters.

"Brigitte has refused to reveal when the unlikely pair first became intimate, proclaiming it 'our secret'."

"'Nobody will ever know at what moment our story became a love story. That belongs to us. That is our secret,' she said."

The age of consent in France when one party has authority over the other - for instance, if they are their schoolteacher - is 18.

Good afternoon all. Just popping in to say hello and thank you to all for your very kind words to me. Much appreciated.

I am slowly recuperating. The garden is getting a lot of TLC and I am listening to much music. Really, what else does one need?

Just to be a tad waspish, Madame Macron would be well advised to wear dresses with sleeves.
    good to see you back. Thinks she looks pretty good for her age doesn't she? Must be mid 60s.
    Not sure what the exact age gap is but I understand it is less than that between Mr & Mrs Trump, though for some reason the latter seems to attract less comment.
    It's the age at which things began, not merely that younger man older woman would provoke more comment anyway. But it's a known story which if anyone in France cared it'd have had an impact already.

Yes, my impression is that the French worry much less than us about the sex lives of their politicans, but are much sterner in respect of financial improprieties.
    Err did Fillon not come a pretty respectable 3rd just recently when under criminal investigation for paying his wife a lot of taxpayers money for nothing. And Mitterand. And Chirac? Having a conviction for financial impropriety seems a badge of honour in France.
    I think Fillon would have made the run-off without the financial scandal (and it wasn't much of one.)

Btw, Le Pen has her own financial inquiry brewing. Let's see how that goes for her.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170427-france-marine-le-pen-eu-parliament-fraud
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,043
    edited April 2017
    I've found the pictures for all future Corbyn related threads

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Andrew said:

Foot was an eminent politician with a strong track record. He wasn't the problem. It was the Party, which had been heavily infiltrated by Marxists and Communists. He was the wrong leader for that time, because he either wouldn't or couldn't stand up to them and clean out the stables. Had he led a more typical social democratic Labour Party largely free of what were highly alien elements, he would have been fine.

Foot was also fairly smart, albeit in an impractical, academic manner. Oxford PPE and all that.

Corbyn is a grammar school lad.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,676
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.
    "Long term economic plan", anyone? Parroting those lines enough does have an effect.
    Indeed- anyone thinking parroting a prepared line over and over will irritate to the point of having an effect more than making sure the line is ingrained in peoples' minds is kidding themselves. And I say that as not a fan of May.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    LDs have changed their mind about opposing the Speaker in Buckingham despite having selected a candidate a few days ago:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/lib-dems-wont-stand-against-speaker-54073.html
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,052
    Scott_P said:

@krishgm: Mrs May : Do you give strong and stable leadership now? If "Yes" then why call an election? If "No" should we try somebody else?

Easy.

To have even stronger and even more stable government silly...
  • Options

Andrew said:

Probably the best argument to close down every grammar school in the country.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,521

I've found the picture for all future Corbyn related threads

May has had close encounters of the canine kind too.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,544

Is the labrador locating his spaniel ?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.
    "Long term economic plan", anyone? Parroting those lines enough does have an effect.
    Indeed- anyone thinking parroting a prepared line over and over will irritate to the point of having an effect more than making sure the line is ingrained in peoples' minds is kidding themselves. And I say that as not a fan of May.
    When will they give May the Ed Miliband treatment?

"These strikes are wrong. Both parties need to drop the rhetoric and get around the negotiating table"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

True, but the difference is the one Krishnan alludes to

"Long term economic plan" is something we have and hope to continue

"We need strong and stable leadership" implies we don't have it right now, which is awkward
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

@krishgm: Mrs May : Do you give strong and stable leadership now? If "Yes" then why call an election? If "No" should we try somebody else?

Easy.

I would have preferred a "safe and secure society", but I suppose it'll do.
  • Options

I'm alarmed at how quickly you found this photo.

Do we need to talk? :smiley:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

LDs have changed their mind about opposing the Speaker in Buckingham despite having selected a candidate a few days ago:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/lib-dems-wont-stand-against-speaker-54073.html

Silly me for believing the PPC.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

The real split is between the political and the economic. The rest of Europe had had a shitty century, constantly at war with itself. It didn't trust nation states not to do so again. So the EU emerged to supercede nation states and limit their power (to cause mischief). The UK was not in that place. We had had an entirely honourable two world wars, a centuries-long history of rock solid stability in our political system, common law, FPTP elections for seats, etc. We just didn't need the higher level control. We still don't. We are just not ever going to fit in a federal EU.

On my recent sojourn, I had a discussion with some very conservative Americans about Brexit. They were very much taken with Dan Hannan and his arguments about Sovereignty, and tried to make the case that there are some things that are better handled at local levels rather than at an overarching level.

And even if you accept that, what they failed to do was follow that to the logical conclusion that all the States should therefore secede...
    Yes, but the USA is a country with a demos, common language (mostly), they all watch the same TV etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

"These strikes are wrong. Both parties need to drop the rhetoric and get around the negotiating table"
    You can see why she's chickening out of the debates.

She's scared of losing to Jeremy Corbyn FFS.

She's frit.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    BBC just shown Corbyn's foul up in Harlow.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Various SNP offices and MPs have been targeted by packages containing white powder.

https://stv.tv/news/politics/1386953-msps-on-alert-as-white-powder-sent-to-politicians/

Joyous civic Unionism.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Scott_P said:

The whole point of May's campaign is to be serious, solid, managerial and dull. Most people don't want further political excitement at present, and certainly not of the variety that Jeremy Corbyn and friends are offering.
    Does a Strong and Stable Leader trust our Foreign policy to a clown?

https://twitter.com/RemainingKind/status/857517858238148608
    The Nabob of Know Nothings.
  • Options

Andrew said:

Foot was a true public servant and a man worthy to be PM even if I personally would not have voted for him. Corbyn is certainly neither of those things.
    It may surprise you to know, Richard, that I was a Labour Party member in those far off days and campaigned for Foot. However, sweet young and innocent as I was then, even I was sufficiently savvy to think that if there had been the slightest chance of his shambles of a Party getting in, I wouldn't have voted for it. Since it was clear a long way out that Labour were going down heavily, the dilemma didn't arise.

I reckon a lot of Labour's core vote will turn out on June 8th, safe in the knowledge that there isn't a snowball in hell's chance of Corbyn becoming PM.
  • Options

Andrew said:

Probably the best argument to close down every grammar school in the country.
    Certainly a strong one for reform of grammar admissions policies.
  • Options

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Probably doesn't want to give Farron the limelight. Given Corbyn's decision, it appears to have worked.
  • Options

Is that a guide dog - and if so, just where is it leading its owner ?
  • Options

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Couldn't be arsed is probably more accurate.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    If she thought there was an advantage to doing it, she'd do it. Therefore she sees no advantage to it, therefore she must think she would be harmed, in however limited a fashion, by doing it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

My final thought on the LDs for the moment.

After the debacle of 1970, the Feb 1974 election saw the party's vote share increase two and a half times to 19.3%. That was one of the few elections when BOTH Conservative and labour vote shares fell.

2017 isn't as yet February 1974. To even double the vote share from 2015 will be a huge achievement in 24 months. Realistically, 12-15% looks a solid step forward but that won't be strongly reflected in seats and 15 seats at best looks valid but progress to bring more into range.

The Conservatives will have nowhere to hide after the GE and will have to maintain a huge tent of a coalition through the Brexit process and beyond. Inevitably things will happen, things won't happen and mistakes will be made and the potential pool of disillusioned Conservatives on whom the LDs can draw from say mid 2018 onwards will be considerable.

When, not if, the May Government hits its midterm, the poll numbers could look very bad for the Conservatives for a while especially if Brexit doesn't look like delivering all things to all people.

We'll see - in the short term, it won't be easy being a non-Conservative and six weeks or so today the triumphalism will be unbearable but as night follows day that will change and it will be the Conservatives who will have to be on the defensive as they have to stand on the record and the promises and the expectations.

One day too Labour will get its act together and there will come an election where it will be the Conservatives who will be on the edge of disaster much as they were this time 20 years ago.

Whilst February 1974 saw the strongest Liberal performance since World War 2 , the big jump in vote share also owed a great deal to the fact that they contested 200 additional seats compared with 1970.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Probably doesn't want to give Farron the limelight. Given Corbyn's decision, it appears to have worked.
    The Scots debate on the 24th May with Sturgeon v Davidson v Dugdale v Rennie should be more than interesting. 3 against 1 for the Union. Unfortunately as I am flying back from Canada that evening I will miss it
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    William Hill SNP Seats

Over 50.5 5/6...

*excited*

Under 50.5... 8/15 :unamused:
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    If she thought there was an advantage to doing it, she'd do it. Therefore she sees no advantage to it, therefore she must think she would be harmed, in however limited a fashion, by doing it.
    Simple answer is why present your opponents the opportunity when there is no need.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Debates are not her natural environment. When you have a 20-point lead, why risk it on something you don't need to do?

It's not so much 'losing' in outright terms that she and CCHQ are likely to be concerned about; it's not doing well enough to maintain the momentum that the Conservatives currently have.

Debates work well for people who have simple sloganistic solutions to every problem; they are less ideal for people who work with detail.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,889
    Labour to build a million new homes.

It seems that around 10k homes are built each month - around 20% of those being in the public sector.

So over 5 years the total built would be 600k, and that'd be just 120k in the public sector. It seems unlikely to me that even a genius such as Corbyn can multiply the public sector build eightfold. So probably Corbyn is saying that he'll build 400k and thus the total is 1m - nonetheless that's more than tripling the council build rate. I don't really believe that it's possible. There's a big lead time on land, builders, and materials. It will triple the costs too.

Is this just a nonsense number? Any thoughts?

• Options
    William Hill

Lib Dems to win 18 or more seats...

1/7!!!

• Options

Corbyn threads may not have a great deal of a future.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,950
    Omnium said:

It seems that around 10k homes are built each month - around 20% of those being in the public sector.

So over 5 years the total built would be 600k, and that'd be just 120k in the public sector. It seems unlikely to me that even a genius such as Corbyn can multiply the public sector build eightfold. So probably Corbyn is saying that he'll build 400k and thus the total is 1m - nonetheless that's more than tripling the council build rate. I don't really believe that it's possible. There's a big lead time on land, builders, and materials. It will triple the costs too.

Yes, even attempting the target involves the election of a Labour government. The lead time on that is around a decade at the earliest.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

What sunk Labour back in 1983 was that they started out thinking they might win - given that multi-term government was relatively unusual back then - and when Labour's poll rating started sinking and the Alliance rating started to rise, leading Labour figures started to break ranks, damaging them further.

This time Labour does have the twin compensations that no objective observer (nor Labour campaigner, deep down) thinks they have any chance whatsoever of winning, and Labour divisions are old news and already priced in.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

William Hill

1/7!!!

It's a disgrace that they don't offer the other side of that bet.

(ie I would love to be able to back it)
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    She's sensible, more like. She has an enormous advantage and probably very little more to gain from entering such a debate.

Corbyn, on the other hand, is so poorly regarded that if he does anything other than lose absolutely catastrophically then that risks being seen as something close to a victory. If the PM can only murder the Labour Party live on national television, rather than murder it, set fire to the corpse, drop the burning body down a thousand-foot mine shaft and back fill it with quick-setting concrete, then this will be viewed by many as an embarrassing setback. Just like when there was a mini-panic a few days ago when someone unveiled a poll that showed the Conservatives "only" eleven points in the lead.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Nonsense, but if you are going to lie, lie big. – Blair promised 3 million, then bulldozed 200K.
  • Options

isam said:

William Hill

1/7!!!

You're not alone!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    She's sensible, more like. She has an enormous advantage and probably very little more to gain from entering such a debate.

Corbyn, on the other hand, is so poorly regarded that if he does anything other than lose absolutely catastrophically then that risks being seen as something close to a victory. If the PM can only murder the Labour Party live on national television, rather than murder it, set fire to the corpse, drop the burning body down a thousand-foot mine shaft and back fill it with quick-setting concrete, then this will be viewed by many as an embarrassing setback. Just like when there was a mini-panic a few days ago when someone unveiled a poll that showed the Conservatives "only" eleven points in the lead.
    So...frit, then
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Debates are not her natural environment. When you have a 20-point lead, why risk it on something you don't need to do?

It's not so much 'losing' in outright terms that she and CCHQ are likely to be concerned about; it's not doing well enough to maintain the momentum that the Conservatives currently have.

Debates work well for people who have simple sloganistic solutions to every problem; they are less ideal for people who work with detail.
    Surely someone who is/wants to be PM should have the ability to debate issues, whatever the channel or forum. Mrs May is not exactly a charismatic or inspirational leader. She is wooden and let's be honest pretty piss poor.
  • Options
    Good tactics - will wind up UKIP supporters behind May
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Simple answer is why present your opponents the opportunity when there is no need.
    Well exactly - but it is not some point of principle. She'd do it if she thought there was a need.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.

Surely someone who is/wants to be PM should have the ability to debate issues, whatever the channel or forum. Mrs May is not exactly a charismatic or inspirational leader. She is wooden and let's be honest pretty piss poor.
    So why has she record breaking popularity ratings
  • Options

Talking tough and acting tough are two completely different things. Think we need to be careful not to antogonise.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,072

Omnium said:

Yes, even attempting the target involves the election of a Labour government. The lead time on that is around a decade at the earliest.
    I think it's a good possibly.

The chance of it being enacted are precisely zero though.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Easy.

She doesn't have the presence of mind to say such a sentence unless already prepared.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Talking tough and acting tough are two completely different things. Think we need to be careful not to antogonise.
    So roll over - tough talking needs tough talking back.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Easy.

She doesn't have the presence of mind to say such a sentence unless already prepared.
    Frankly I wonder how she gets dressed in the morning.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Will she face anyone apart from the faithfull ? Major did well getting involved with public in 92 he gained a lot of respect taking on the hecklers in the crowd .Corbyn should do similar.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Omnium said:

Corbyn threads may not have a great deal of a future.
    Smell my spaniel.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

William Hill

1/7!!!

You're not alone!
    Betfair has an over/under bet on 18.5 LibDem seats
  • Options

murali_s said:

Why bother? We are pretty much going to have to roll over anyway. All it does it gives an illusion (yes that word again) that we have significant bargaining chips in any negotiation.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.

Flat track bully!
  • Options
    Gus Macdonald has retired from the Lords.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,278
    murali_s said:

So weak.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Will she face anyone apart from the faithfull ? Major did well getting involved with public in 92 he gained a lot of respect taking on the hecklers in the crowd .Corbyn should do similar.
    Corbyn has only ever faced the faithful and even has to hold a stump speech in a field with his momentum supporters, and even then he talks with his back to the camera
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yorkcity said:

Scott_P said:

Nevertheless leaving the airwaves and column inches empty to fill with whatever the opposition parties are doing and proposing is a novel, and somewhat risky, strategy for a governing party to sustain through six weeks more of campaigning?
    I would be very much surprised if they intend to keep on this way right until June 8th. Besides anything else, the manifesto is launched not long after we've got the local elections out of the way.

My assumption is that the Government is quite happy to give Labour enough rope to hang itself right now. The botched attempt at a relaunch over Brexit and the gargantuan unfunded spending commitments, amongst other things, make the Opposition look bad now, and provide the Government with more ammunition to be used later in the campaign.

They're keeping their powder dry, safe in the knowledge that they have plenty of it, and that if they give Corbyn and friends both barrels now then they run the risk of (a) their message losing its power, because people grow bored of it, and (b) perhaps, even, the prospect of the hopelessly outclassed Corbyn receiving some degree of sympathy from the public.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of the attack lines - e.g. the Labour leadership's apparent indulgence of Irish Republican paramilitarism, Palestinian Islamist terror groups and anti-Semitic behaviour - are being soft-pedalled or kept entirely in reserve until the final ten days of the campaign.
  • Options

Planning to stand as a candidate?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    It is a risk/reward calculation. It is not merely analogous to, it is the same thing as, placing a bet. Do you want to back tories most seats at 1/10000000? No? Is that because you are frit that the tories will not win most seats? No. Corbyn might humiliate May, at a cost to her which could mean fewer seats. May humiliates Corbyn is priced in, and gains her what? (Other than promotion in your personal political landscape from frit wee timorous feartie to Guardian of the Galaxy)?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.

Flat track bully!
    Well thats a view I suppose
  • Options

He's 77. I read it initially as Gus O'Donnell - perhaps you did the same.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Why bother? We are pretty much going to have to roll over anyway. All it does it gives an illusion (yes that word again) that we have significant bargaining chips in any negotiation.
    We will not roll over with 100 billion EU imports and World class security services. Why do you want to talk your Country down
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    A party leader would also benefit from being seen to deal effectively with hecklers at public meetings. Harold Wilson was brilliant at that in the 1964 and 1966 campaigns.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

He's 77. I read it initially as Gus O'Donnell - perhaps you did the same.
    Guilty as charged... :(
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

isam said:

William Hill

1/7!!!

You're not alone!
    The under there is about 9/4 though...William Hills implied under is more like 4/1
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@alexmassie: Fascinating @yougov poll in tomorrow's edition of @thetimesscot...

:o Klaxon on standby.
    How's your polling Kremlinology? What does 'fascinating' mean?
    Ever since the IndyRef poll that was hyped beyond belief that showed No Change from the last poll I have soured on poll trailing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Which could just be that she sees net zero value in doing it and positive value in doing some other campaigning instead. Prep time for these things is immense, and they wipe everything else out of the news for at least two days ("debate today", "who won the debate yesterday").
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

Oooh

@joncraig: Staff in Parliament told by sec sources police were tipped off about man arrested in Whitehall by his family, which probably saved his life.

Good for them
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Corbyn has only ever faced the faithful and even has to hold a stump speech in a field with his momentum supporters, and even then he talks with his back to the camera
    Yes I know that is why I suggest he gets out into the public arena , so there is a contrast with the wooden may.In 1987 I attended an open event in York where all candidates attended. The conservative won the seat .However my father and I both agreed the best speaker was Vince Cable he came third but went onto greater things.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

A party leader would also benefit from being seen to deal effectively with hecklers at public meetings. Harold Wilson was brilliant at that in the 1964 and 1966 campaigns.

Yes:

Wilson: "blah blah, 13 years of Tory misrule*, blah blah"

Heckler: "Rubbish!"

Wilson: "blah blah blah, 13 years of Tory misrule, blah blah ... pragmatic.. reasonable..."

Heckler: "Rubbish!: Rubbish!"

Wilson (turning to heckler) : "Sir, I'm am coming to your particular interest in a moment"

* The idea of repeating the same mantra over and over again isn't new!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    It is a risk/reward calculation. It is not merely analogous to, it is the same thing as, placing a bet. Do you want to back tories most seats at 1/10000000? No? Is that because you are frit that the tories will not win most seats? No. Corbyn might humiliate May, at a cost to her which could mean fewer seats. May humiliates Corbyn is priced in, and gains her what? (Other than promotion in your personal political landscape from frit wee timorous feartie to Guardian of the Galaxy)?
    Corbyn has seriously misplayed the debate card (Hasn't he misplayed them all...)

"I won't debate unless May does." To which May just says ok, no debates.

It's madness, as the challenger you get yourself onto debates come high or hell water even if Tessy isn't there. At least Ed Miliband did them, and (sort of) forced Cameron into a couple.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.

So...frit, then
    No, sensible.

She could have a two-hour long televised debate with Jeremy Corbyn and assorted other soft and hard leftists, but then again she could also have a two-hour long televised debate with a greenhouse full of tomato plants.

The latter would be about as enlightening as the former, and just as much a waste of time. Besides my previous argument, televised debates are also at least as much a test of presentation and pre-rehearsal as of policy. I'm not sure I'm interested in counting how often Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon and the various minor personages repeat the same two or three soundbites over and over and over and over again.

However, the leaders might still end up doing individual shows, taking questions from an audience...?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    He was i watched a documentary from the sixties .It was great to see Wilson and Callaghan taking on the hecklers.More interesting than today when they only speak to their own supporters and when they visit a factory no one is allowed or dare to ask searching questions.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

Oooh

Good for them
    From the pictures, he pinched his mother’s best kitchen knives. No wonder she grassed.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.

Flat track bully!
    You can only beat the team in front of you.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

justin124 said:

Yes:

Wilson: "blah blah, 13 years of Tory misrule*, blah blah"

Heckler: "Rubbish!"

Wilson: "blah blah blah, 13 years of Tory misrule, blah blah ... pragmatic.. reasonable..."

Heckler: "Rubbish!: Rubbish!"

Wilson (turning to heckler) : "Sir, I'm am coming to your particular interest in a moment"

* The idea of repeating the same mantra over and over again isn't new!
    Wilson was much more effective than Alec Douglas-Home who got shouted down a few times and accused Labour of hiring hecklers to disrupt his meetings. Heath was ok in 1966. I really don't understand why politicians have run away from such encounters. They were both authentic and entertaining - far better than the phoney contrived garbage that politicians of all parties serve up to us today.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,047
    Todays YG

UNSWINGBACK

CON: 45% (-3)
    LAB: 29% (+4)
    LDEM: 10% (-2)
    UKIP: 7% (+2)

TMICIPM
  • Options

Todays YG

UNSWINGBACK

TMICIPM

Looks remarkably similiar to yesterday's.
  • Options
    If it's any of you trying to back LDs in Richmond Park on BF I've put up a counter. I would have layed evens if it wasn't Zac.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

She speaks like a robot.

She's frit.
    Corbyn has seriously misplayed the debate card (Hasn't he misplayed them all...)

"I won't debate unless May does." To which May just says ok, no debates.

It's madness, as the challenger you get yourself onto debates come high or hell water even if Tessy isn't there. At least Ed Miliband did them, and (sort of) forced Cameron into a couple.
    A tough call probably. On the upside he is denying airtime to the smaller parties - SNP,Plaid, Greens , UKIP and LibDems.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353
    Alistair said:

Various SNP offices and MPs have been targeted by packages containing white powder.

https://stv.tv/news/politics/1386953-msps-on-alert-as-white-powder-sent-to-politicians/

Joyous civic Unionism.
    Typical unionist Tories, a right bad lot for sure
  • Options
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

isam said:

William Hill

1/7!!!

You're not alone!
    The under there is about 9/4 though...William Hills implied under is more like 4/1
    Nevertheless, if you are confident, 9/4 is reasonable odds. Although personally I think better odds will be available next weekend.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

isam said:

William Hill

1/7!!!

You're not alone!
    Nevertheless, if you are confident, 9/4 is reasonable odds. Although personally I think better odds will be available next weekend.
    I just thought 1/7 was rather short for over 18.5 that's all
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Todays YG

UNSWINGBACK

TMICIPM

Indeed. UKiP up, Lib Dems down, there's something very odd about these polls from YouGov.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353
    edited April 2017
    Floater said:
    Hmmm, decidedly dodgy, she gets worse and worse , why is she always posing on the back of assorted animals. Is she unable to get a human to join in a photo with her. Low rent for sure.

PS: Also means my dinner is ruined after viewing that.
  • Options
    The poor LDs....
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Pulpstar said:

Todays YG

UNSWINGBACK

TMICIPM

Indeed. UKiP up, Lib Dems down, there's something very odd about these polls from YouGov.
    It is yesterday's poll
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Todays YG

UNSWINGBACK

TMICIPM

I suspect their previous poll had UKIP a bit low.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,047
    Pulpstar said:

Todays YG

UNSWINGBACK

TMICIPM

OK you are correct actually

How many seats do Labour need to get for you to be Red on your Spread bet?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Todays YG

UNSWINGBACK

TMICIPM

It is yesterday's poll
    Confirmed, or just today's poll with yesterday's numbers?
This discussion has been closed.