Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two seats which UKIP won last time amongst tonight’s local ele

124»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,016

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Fat_Steve said:

When i were a lad, if you wanted your car washed, you went through a car washing machine at a garage, with big spinning mechanical brushes. Now, the norm in many areas is a hand car wash from European immigrants for a fiver. So there is at least one instance where unskilled immigration has sent us backwards technologically and reduced our productivity.

Weirdly, enough, it's not that simple. The spinny-brushes much beloved by sitcom writers ("Oh no! The vicar's left the window down! What a palaver and no mistake, eh Spotty!") were comparatively expensive and rare: in my lifetime I've only ever seen two. So most people washed their own car: or, it being Britain, let the rain wash it. So these days the total productivity went up
    Just about every petrol station in my home town had them. They were not rare at all. Indeed even today there are three petrol stations in the town that still have them in spite of the hand wash craze.
    How big is your home town? You don't have to tell me where it is: it's a honest question

This may simply be a case of different experiences. That line about me only ever having seen two of them is true: I have this image of Terry Scott in an Austin Princess and those handheld pumps that look like an alien, talking about the 8:20 to Liverpool Street.
    Newark in Nottinghamshire. So around 30,000 people maybe these days. I actually live over the border in Lincolnshire now but Newark was where I grew up and lived for 40 odd years so I still think of it as home. I still take the kids to the car wash every once in a while as they love it and it has that strange feeling that the car is moving when it is stood still as the brushes pass. It is cheaper than buying them an Ipad. :)
    I was figuring London or a large city. I have a horrible feeling I may be in the wrong here. I know they *exist* - they're in the news occasionally and one was on an episode of Top Gear once - but I don't recall them. Damn, this is weird. I shall keep an eye out, see if I can see one.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Fat_Steve said:

When i were a lad, if you wanted your car washed, you went through a car washing machine at a garage, with big spinning mechanical brushes. Now, the norm in many areas is a hand car wash from European immigrants for a fiver. So there is at least one instance where unskilled immigration has sent us backwards technologically and reduced our productivity.

Weirdly, enough, it's not that simple. The spinny-brushes much beloved by sitcom writers ("Oh no! The vicar's left the window down! What a palaver and no mistake, eh Spotty!") were comparatively expensive and rare: in my lifetime I've only ever seen two. So most people washed their own car: or, it being Britain, let the rain wash it. So these days the total productivity went up
    Just about every petrol station in my home town had them. They were not rare at all. Indeed even today there are three petrol stations in the town that still have them in spite of the hand wash craze.
    How big is your home town? You don't have to tell me where it is: it's a honest question

This may simply be a case of different experiences. That line about me only ever having seen two of them is true: I have this image of Terry Scott in an Austin Princess and those handheld pumps that look like an alien, talking about the 8:20 to Liverpool Street.
    Newark in Nottinghamshire. So around 30,000 people maybe these days. I actually live over the border in Lincolnshire now but Newark was where I grew up and lived for 40 odd years so I still think of it as home. I still take the kids to the car wash every once in a while as they love it and it has that strange feeling that the car is moving when it is stood still as the brushes pass. It is cheaper than buying them an Ipad. :)
    I was figuring London or a large city. I have a horrible feeling I may be in the wrong here. I know they *exist* - they're in the news occasionally and one was on an episode of Top Gear once - but I don't recall them. Damn, this is weird. I shall keep an eye out, see if I can see one.
    They exist but are not as numerous as they were twenty years ago IMO.

You're right about people previously washing their own cars - it was almost a Saturday morning suburban stereotype.

Considering the obesity problems Britain has it would be no bad thing if people still did so.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,460
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Fat_Steve said:

Two BP garages near me, on opposite sides of the A12, both had proper car washes, now both don't.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2017

You're right about people previously washing their own cars - it was almost a Saturday morning suburban stereotype.

Considering the obesity problems Britain has it would be no bad thing if people still did so.

I recently listened to a Freakonomics podcast on labour economics and how automation replaced lots of low / mid skill jobs. They were analyzing what do people who fit that profile do rather than bashing bits of metal etc.

The labour economist was explaining that will out sourcing of manufacture to places like China + automation lots of goods are incredibly cheap, but its all samey. What has happened is a massive rise in personal service type jobs, dog walking, car washing, get people to do your hair, nails, make-up and personaliziation of items like shoes, plates, etc etc etc.

Basically it costs far less to buy every day items and everybody has them, so people pay for the luxury of other people to offer services to them or purchase unique items.

The thing with hand car washing places, they offer full valet, inside and out. Those automated car washes obviously can't do that and it is a pain to then drive around to the vacuum and did that bit yourself.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    “But very, very few people in Scotland voted for Margaret Thatcher.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/06/nicola-sturgeon-says-margaret-thatcher-inspired-scottish-nationalism/

Conservative Vote in Scotland:

1979: 916,155
    1983: 801,487
    1987: 713,081

Total: 2,430,723

Meanwhile, the SNP got:

1979: 504,259
    1983: 331,975
    1987: 416,473

Total: 1,252,707

Go on, tell us about the Secret Oil Fields or Whisky Export Duty.....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The number of people who believe the chemical attack in Syria is a hoax is disturbing. Mailny seem to be anti-establishment trumpsters.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    nunu said:

The number of people who believe the chemical attack in Syria is a hoax is disturbing. Mailny seem to be anti-establishment trumpsters.

Radio Daily Mirror (R5) yesterday morning was scarily full of conspiracy theorists.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The panel of three Labour members which decided not to expel Ken Livingstone from the party for his comments about Hitler included a hard-Left Corbynite ‘obsessed’ with Palestine.

Russell Cartwright, who sits on Labour’s national constitutional committee, appears to have edited a section on a website which included articles promoting a boycott of Israel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4388566/The-pro-Palestine-Corbynite-let-Ken-hook.html
  • Options

nunu said:

Radio Daily Mirror (R5) yesterday morning was scarily full of conspiracy theorists.
    The internet has allowed me to see many more people believe in the whackiest conspiracy theories then I ever imagined. Worring really, or do people not reallly beleive them but lie to themseleves like #pizzagate where only one man actually investigated whether or not Hillary was running a child sex ring out of a effing pizza shop, despite thousands seemingly outwardly believeing it.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I recently listened to a Freakonomics podcast on labour economics and how automation replaced lots of low / mid skill jobs. They were analyzing what do people who fit that profile do rather than bashing bits of metal etc.

The labour economist was explaining that will out sourcing of manufacture to places like China + automation lots of goods are incredibly cheap, but its all samey. What has happened is a massive rise in personal service type jobs, dog walking, car washing, get people to do your hair, nails, make-up and personaliziation of items like shoes, plates, etc etc etc.

Basically it costs far less to buy every day items and everybody has them, so people pay for the luxury of other people to offer services to them or purchase unique items.

The thing with hand car washing places, they offer full valet, inside and out. Those automated car washes obviously can't do that and it is a pain to then drive around to the vacuum and did that bit yourself.
    In the States, the valet car wash places put the car through the carwash, then hand finish both outside and inside.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

In the States, the valet car wash places put the car through the carwash, then hand finish both outside and inside.
    how much on avreage?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    MTimT said:

I'm in LA right now, and it's all manual.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
  • Options
    nunu said:

MTimT said:

how much on avreage?
    Been a while - I rely on rain ... Will check it out this weekend. There's a Checkers burger joint next door you can go to while they do your car.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/47/ce/8d/47ce8d907b2e3a359498ab535d5c4b14.jpg
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

I'm in LA right now, and it's all manual.
    Hmm. Coastal differences?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    That's quite something!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I doubt the Sun meant exactly what they wrote in their headline. Though I shouldn't prejudge their holiday romances:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/850096852586385408
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tell that to the government and the teaching unions.

A week isn't an especially long time either. If circumstances require it why not 5.6 weeks? If it's appropriate to take 5.6 weeks holiday throughout the year, why should those denied holidays during school holidays be denied that?

The idea that teachers could get through the school syllabus each term with each of their pupils absent for 5.6 weeks a year in termtime is absurd. The whole reason there are set holiday times for schools is so that every class follows the same syllabus and the same timetable, without it the educational system would effectively collapse. The average family takes 2 weeks for their main holiday, that is compromise enough
    Some kids manage to get through the school year homeschooled and absent for 52 weeks a year. The teacher should.be able to plow on with the syllabus so long as the absent family guarantees to.catch up it doesn't matter if it was for 1, 2, 13 or 52 weeks.

Forget a day or a week, if a child moves here from the southern hemisphere they either jump ahead six months or are held back six months. I skipped ahead 18 months of schooling when I was young and it did me no harm. Later on I skipped another year for maths and was doing at 13 the maths of a 16 year old. Some children are different to others. Some families are different to others.
    You can only homeschool if you are sufficiently educated to tutor your pupils (and councils are legally able to check the quality of your tutoring) and while it may be relatively easy for those with parents with degrees and even postgraduate degrees to help their children to catch up that is by no means the case with those with parents who may have few if any educational qualifications and it is those children the law was designed to help
    Unless the laws have changed in the last five years they have absolutely no right to tell you how you educate your child. In fact they have virtually no rights of inspection. And you need no qualifications.
    'The council can make an ‘informal enquiry’ to check your child is getting a suitable education at home. They can serve a school attendance order if they think your child needs to be taught at school.'
    https://www.gov.uk/home-education
    "Informal enquiry" lol. I can make an informal enquiry into the colour of knickers the chief constable's wife wears doesn't give me the right to either know or decide on her behalf.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A week isn't an especially long time either. If circumstances require it why not 5.6 weeks? If it's appropriate to take 5.6 weeks holiday throughout the year, why should those denied holidays during school holidays be denied that?

The idea that teachers could get through the school syllabus each term with each of their pupils absent for 5.6 weeks a year in termtime is absurd. The whole reason there are set holiday times for schools is so enough
    Some kids manage to get through the school year homeschooled and absent for 52 weeks a year. The teacher should.be able to plow on with the syllabus so long as the absent family guarantees to.catch up it doesn't matter if it was for 1, 2, 13 or 52 weeks.

Forget a day or a week, if a child moves here from the southern hemisphere they either jump ahead six months or are held back six months. I skipped ahead 18 months of schooling when I was young and it did me no harm. Later on I skipped another year for maths and was doing at 13 the maths of a 16 year old. Some children are different to others. Some families are different to others.
    You can only homeschool if you are sufficiently educated to tutor your pupils (and councils are legally able to check the quality of your tutoring) and while it may be relatively easy for those with parents with degrees and even postgraduate degrees to help their children to catch up that is by no means the case with those with parents who may have few if any educational qualifications and it is those children the law was designed to help
    Unless the laws have changed in the last five years they have absolutely no right to tell you how you educate your child. In fact they have virtually no rights of inspection. And you need no qualifications.
    'The council can make an ‘informal enquiry’ to check your child is getting a suitable education at home. They can serve a school attendance order if they think your child needs to be taught at school.'
    "Informal enquiry" lol. I can make an informal enquiry into the colour of knickers the chief constable's wife wears doesn't give me the right to either know or decide on her behalf.
    It does when you have the power to issue a compulsory order if you dislike the results, as councils can with school attendance orders which can effectively decide on parents' behalf if they think it needed
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The idea that teachers could get through the school syllabus each term with each of their pupils absent for 5.6 weeks a year in termtime is absurd. The whole reason there are set holiday times for schools is so enough
    Some kids at 13 the maths of a 16 year old. Some children are different to others. Some families are different to others.
    It does when you have the power to issue a compulsory order if you dislike the results, as councils can with school attendance orders which can effectively decide on parents' behalf if they think it needed
    They would have to show that in fact the child was receiving no tuition. They have no powers or rights to judge what a child is receiving or its quality or powers of inspection.
  • Options
    Can't see this appealing to the SNP. Wonder what malc would think:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39510351
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Some kids at 13 the maths of a 16 year old. Some children are different to others. Some families are different to others.
    They would have to show that in fact the child was receiving no tuition. They have no powers or rights to judge what a child is receiving or its quality or powers of inspection.
    You’ll get a School Attendance Order if the local council thinks your child isn’t getting a sufficient education and needs to be taught at school

This discussion has been closed.