Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ken suspended from LAB for a year over Hitler comments – not e

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,456
    I agree that Labour have probably reached a floor. Humans are very reluctant to change their minds, and also surprisingly uninterested in politics. This story - amusing though it is - will barely register with 90% of voters, and will change almost no votes.
    That said, there must be a stage at which, hypothetically, a party collapses. Most remaining Labour votes are with Labour because they are viewed by those voters as the preferable option between Labour and Tory, rather than out of any love for the Labour Party. (The reverse is also true.) There must come a point at which Labour voters who are primarily with the party because they want a non-Tory option perceive that another party (presumably the Lib Dems) is better placed to fulfil the role of primary opposition to the Tories. I'm not saying we are anywhere near that point, but if we start to get close to it we could very quickly accelerate past it.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Dupont-Aignan is asking the others to come to the 20 April debate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

RobD said:

Ken on radio at 10.30.... just time to get a brew ready..

In two minutes? impressive :p
    news and sport first on R5 so not dead on 10.30... i need a proper brew not a tea bag 'wave'
    I'm not sure tea is a good choice.. it surely doesn't go well with popcorn :o
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Shami Chakrabarti: "Labour is the party of both equality and natural justice."

..... for anti-Semites and conspiracy fruitloops.
    The smaller Labour's remaining voter core becomes, the greater the proportion of it is Muslim - and not all of them are terribly enamoured with Jews. The total number of Jewish votes available is more modest, and most of them (if I remember the data from the post-GE analysis in 2015 correctly) have already swung behind the Tories.

I wonder if the NEC got their calculators out and computed the potential net voter movements before settling on this verdict?
    Labour are now little more than a mixture of Respect, the SWP and STW.

Those MPs complaining tonight need to find their moral backbones and act rather than just speak.

But as Mr Meeks says they are either too frit, too full of misplaced loyalty or just lack moral courage. The shit which Livingstone has brought into the Labour living room will end up sticking to their shoes too. And that smell will not disappear no matter how many tweets they issue.
  • Options
    Yes, see the recent council by-election in Kersal, Salford. There are probably a small but interesting number of Labour seats vulnerable to Jewish discontent (Bury South and Leeds North East spring to mind - there may be some in London too).
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    HYUFD said:

Was the Easter egg squirrel a planned distraction from a climb down on getting a free trade deal within the A50 negotiations? Now they're floating the prospect of continuing free movement during the transition.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/04/free-movement-will-go-on-in-transition-after-brexit-theresa-may

It was never realistic to get it in 2 years, Canada took much longer, at best it will be a few bilateral agreements with the EU in a few key sectors before Brexit
    We have a deal. It's been negotiated and implemented over decades.

The question is which bits of it do they wish to tear up and which barriers do they wish to construct because we will not allow unfettered free movement?

The Canada deal provides some valuable insight into the areas they usually consider. Unfortunately for the EU, the things they usually choose are acts of self flagellation if they try to apply them in their relationship with us.

They are in a bit of a pickle.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    Cookie said:

I agree that Labour have probably reached a floor. Humans are very reluctant to change their minds, and also surprisingly uninterested in politics. This story - amusing though it is - will barely register with 90% of voters, and will change almost no votes.
    That said, there must be a stage at which, hypothetically, a party collapses. Most remaining Labour votes are with Labour because they are viewed by those voters as the preferable option between Labour and Tory, rather than out of any love for the Labour Party. (The reverse is also true.) There must come a point at which Labour voters who are primarily with the party because they want a non-Tory option perceive that another party (presumably the Lib Dems) is better placed to fulfil the role of primary opposition to the Tories. I'm not saying we are anywhere near that point, but if we start to get close to it we could very quickly accelerate past it.

Well the collapse in Scotland, though foreshadowed perhaps, certainly happened all at once when the moment did come, and if it were to occur I imagine it would be similar, though with many predictions of it coming before it finally does.

But the LDs aren't going to overtake Lab, at best they might swiftly recover to their previous position, so 25% is probably too low following what might be a poor few years for May (economically and politically there are pitfalls for her).
  • Options
    He's on - Hitler count = 2 so far
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting decision. Labour can probably forget about winning Hendon and Finchley at the next election.

Ah, thanks Andy - making a similar point to me but with the examples from 200 miles further south.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    Not really on topic.

Request for betting advice / strategy.

Having been reading this site since the Brown years, I'm playing with Betfair for the first time.

Having listened to various people on here, I'm in a position where I make reasonable money on Macron, Fillon or Melanchon winning and only lose a few pounds if anything else happens. If I lay Macron I can get to the point where whatever happens I make a return of about 200% on the total money I have bet. But then if I don't lay I make more money if Macron wins.

So is it better to lay Macron now and lock in a good outcome, or to leave it till later when I might squeeze a bit more out - but if something goes wrong (Russians etc) then I might not get the chance again.

Its really the principles I'm curious about as I'm working this out as I go along and wondered if there were standard strategies / things to avoid.

Now back to reading about Corbyn being crap! (aren't all posts fundamentally about this...)

:-)
  • Options
    The Balrog rises from his long slumber! :D
  • Options

and repeats his 'supporting Zionism claim before he went mad...'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,933
    edited April 2017
    'Elsewhere Mr Curtice said it was “not beyond the bounds of possibility” that Labour could also lose the Tees Valley mayoralty. '

If Sunderland Central is struggling to declare 1st because it's gone to a recount, what happens to Lab most seats price :p ?
  • Options
  • Options

and repeats his 'supporting Zionism claim before he went mad...'

I repeat my earlier point - if he feels he has been vindicated, and he clearly does, then should not the MPs who complained about him be censured?
  • Options
  • Options
    Balrog said:

Not really on topic.

Having been reading this site since the Brown years, I'm playing with Betfair for the first time.

Having listened to various people on here, I'm in a position where I make reasonable money on Macron, Fillon or Melanchon winning and only lose a few pounds if anything else happens. If I lay Macron I can get to the point where whatever happens I make a return of about 200% on the total money I have bet. But then if I don't lay I make more money if Macron wins.

So is it better to lay Macron now and lock in a good outcome, or to leave it till later when I might squeeze a bit more out - but if something goes wrong (Russians etc) then I might not get the chance again.

Its really the principles I'm curious about as I'm working this out as I go along and wondered if there were standard strategies / things to avoid.

Now back to reading about Corbyn being crap! (aren't all posts fundamentally about this...)

Lay Fillon out in my opinion.
  • Options
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    Balrog said:

Not really on topic.

The principles really ought to be how much you think the candidates are over/underpriced compared to current market value.

Personally, I wouldn't lay Macron right now because I'm already green on him and I think he's nailed on to win. If anything, I think he's a little underpriced and if I didn't want to go red on the other candidates I'd be betting more on him. But the fact that his support is relatively soft in the polling compared to the other candidates worries me.

At the moment, I'm green on all except Fillon so, like you, only lose money in one specific outcome, but gain to a greater or lesser extent on all the rest. I'm quite happy with that as a bet, so am holding my position for now. Although I do think the smart, albeit slightly more risky move, is to bet more on Macron.
  • Options

Is he putting on his own performance of this... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUfkMkVbwo
  • Options
    A reminder of where Tees Valley is :

https://twitter.com/Psephography/status/842812797872496640

Could Corbyn survive that ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Well the collapse in Scotland, though foreshadowed perhaps, certainly happened all at once when the moment did come, and if it were to occur I imagine it would be similar, though with many predictions of it coming before it finally does.

But the LDs aren't going to overtake Lab, at best they might swiftly recover to their previous position, so 25% is probably too low following what might be a poor few years for May (economically and politically there are pitfalls for her).
    Yes, exactly. In Scotland, the SNP very quickly became the natural party for those voters whose primary motivation was 'not the Tories' - this makes up a far higher proportion of Labour's voters than those who actively like the Labour party. (Again, I should stress, Labour aren't unique in this.

And I agree about the LDs - we're not really close to a crossover; despite signs of life in the media and in local council elections, the LDs are still beached a good 15% below Labour (alternatively, with less than half the proportion of voters supporting them) - suggesting that crossover is imminent is like suggesting Tory/Labour crossover was imminent in 1999. But it's not inconceivable that this will change; if Labour still have Corbyn or his ilk in charge when it does, the party will disappear into fringe pointlessness. The only thing keeping them from this is inertia.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336

Was the Easter egg squirrel a planned distraction from a climb down on getting a free trade deal within the A50 negotiations? Now they're floating the prospect of continuing free movement during the transition.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/04/free-movement-will-go-on-in-transition-after-brexit-theresa-may

According to the guidelines everything continues as is if there's a transition.

ie you win your bet and no right minded person could say we will have left. Hence I can't see there being a transition period.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Cookie said:

Labour doesn't have a God-given right to exist, but it does still have a whole string of advantages and remaining core support groups:

* First-past-the-post, with enormous majorities in many of Labour's remaining seats making them extremely difficult for any other party to capture, no matter how low their support drops elsewhere
    * Committed support from voters who really like (or at least willing seriously to entertain) a Far Left option, perhaps 10-15% of the electorate
    * The habit/cultural identity vote
    * Workers in the remaining heavily unionised sectors of the economy, principally NHS, teachers and other state employees, and the railways
    * People of working age who are wholly or largely long-term benefit dependent
    * Poorer BAME groups who either like the current leadership's positioning with regard to e.g. Middle East policy, or belong to that fraction of working class voters who wouldn't consider the Tories but recoil from following their white peers into defection to Ukip
    * A substantial section of opinion amongst the under 30s, who despair of the economic future under the current system and/or are very idealistic, and naive about the Far Left

If Labour splits then it might initiate a process of more rapid disintegration and renewal. If it doesn't, then it could continue as a 'too weak to win, too strong to die' blocking minority in our politics, preventing the emergence of a viable alternative Government - possibly for a very long time.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ie you win your bet and no right minded person could say we will have left. Hence I can't see there being a transition period.
    I doubt we'd have MEPs or Commissioners, so there would be some differences.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Ken talking about Hitler on 5 live FFS
  • Options
    There wasn't a labour problem with anti-semitism until anti-Corbyn Labour MPs raised this issue last year? It's all part of their plan to topple Jeremy.
  • Options
    Question for PB gamblers.

If SPIN were doing seat spreads on the next general election, what do you think the mid point would be for Con, Lab, Lib Dem, and SNP?

(Assuming a 650 seat parliament)
  • Options

He only mentioned his name 9 times, but I think he got away with it....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Shami Chakrabarti: "Labour is the party of both equality and natural justice."

The smaller Labour's remaining voter core becomes, the greater the proportion of it is Muslim - and not all of them are terribly enamoured with Jews. The total number of Jewish votes available is more modest, and most of them (if I remember the data from the post-GE analysis in 2015 correctly) have already swung behind the Tories.

I wonder if the NEC got their calculators out and computed the potential net voter movements before settling on this verdict?

Those MPs complaining tonight need to find their moral backbones and act rather than just speak.

But as Mr Meeks says they are either too frit, too full of misplaced loyalty or just lack moral courage. The shit which Livingstone has brought into the Labour living room will end up sticking to their shoes too. And that smell will not disappear no matter how many tweets they issue.
    Waiting it out until they get their Labour Party back, or the opportunity to wrest it back, is a strategy I can understand from Lab MPs.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,721

Doesn't he ever shut up.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Interesting decision. Labour can probably forget about winning Hendon and Finchley at the next election.

Ah, thanks Andy - making a similar point to me but with the examples from 200 miles further south.
    Apologies, I didn't see your comment.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Waiting it out until they get their Labour Party back, or the opportunity to wrest it back, is a strategy I can understand from Lab MPs.
    Waiting it out surely only works if you are sure those attacking you will die off on their own. So presumably they are waiting for Corbyn to become so weak that they will gain an opportunity to take him down at least. Still disheartening that they clearly know Corbyn is more popular in the party than any of them.
  • Options
    "Iain Dale‏Verified account @IainDale 51s51 seconds ago

Why didn't the Labour Party make Ken Livingstone's suspension conditional on him not doing any interviews tonight? #AmateurHour"

https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/849378730644582403
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2017
    Oh God, Ken on Newsnight. Hole. Digging.

"I don't even criticise Hitler's deal to transport Jews to Palestine"
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

I doubt we'd have MEPs or Commissioners, so there would be some differences.
    Note sure. Nigel would have a fit though.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    Balrog said:

Not really on topic.

I love questions like this.

Here's what i would do;

1. completely forget betfair for a minute.

2. Get a pen/paper/calculator or open excel - and assign a percentage chance to each of the candidates. This MUST add up to 100%

EG,

Macron 50%
    MLP 25%
    Fillon 5%
    Melenchon 5%
    Other 15%

(insert your own %ages, mine are pretty random)

3. Go to betfair and take the reciprocal of each candidates odds (eg, for MLP, 1/4.6) that will give you the implied chance.

4. Compare your own assessment and the betfair market assessment.

Where your assessment is higher than the market, back that candidate. Where it is lower, lay them. Where it is the same, green out. The bigger the difference between those two percentages, the more you should stake.

The thing to avoid is fearing a *loss* of your current potential profit, or anticipating a potential £££ gain. The market doesn't care about your current betting position, or your P/L.

The only thing that should matter is whether there is currently *value* in the market in your eyes.

---

This advice may seem really simple. Apologies if so.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Waiting it out surely only works if you are sure those attacking you will die off on their own. So presumably they are waiting for Corbyn to become so weak that they will gain an opportunity to take him down at least. Still disheartening that they clearly know Corbyn is more popular in the party than any of them.
    Yes among members. And yes depressing. But the Labour Party brand is strong and they are presumably banking on its resurgence after this hiatus.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Some atrocities are sadder than others

https://twitter.com/reutersworld/status/849338810311868416
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,038
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

It was never realistic to get it in 2 years, Canada took much longer, at best it will be a few bilateral agreements with the EU in a few key sectors before Brexit
    We have a deal. It's been negotiated and implemented over decades.

The question is which bits of it do they wish to tear up and which barriers do they wish to construct because we will not allow unfettered free movement?

The Canada deal provides some valuable insight into the areas they usually consider. Unfortunately for the EU, the things they usually choose are acts of self flagellation if they try to apply them in their relationship with us.

They are in a bit of a pickle.
    The EU would not allow us to stay in the single market and control free movement so at best it will be some variant of the Canada deal, once as you say they have decided what is politically expedient or not
  • Options
    I'm assuming Ken will be touring the breakfast studios tomorrow too...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Ken should shut the f@@k up
  • Options
    isam said:

However, a spokesman for Berlin city government said the mayor had decided it would do this only in response to attacks in "partner cities". St Petersburg, where at least 14 people were killed in an attack on the metro on Monday, is not one.

Critics argued that authorities lit up the Gate in rainbow colors last year after a gunman killed 49 people at a night club in Orlando, Florida, and also in the Israeli colors after an attack in Jerusalem. They are not partner cities.

What a crap excuse, not that that the gesture itself is actually worth anything.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The media might well be biased and all the rest of it, but it seems pretty reasonable to me to write up Ken's verbatim quote "Hitler supported Zionism" as "Hitler was a Zionist".
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    RobD said:

isam said:

However, a spokesman for Berlin city government said the mayor had decided it would do this only in response to attacks in "partner cities". St Petersburg, where at least 14 people were killed in an attack on the metro on Monday, is not one.

Critics argued that authorities lit up the Gate in rainbow colors last year after a gunman killed 49 people at a night club in Orlando, Florida, and also in the Israeli colors after an attack in Jerusalem. They are not partner cities.

What a crap excuse, not that that the gesture itself is actually worth anything.
    1945 and all that?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Can I suggest that it might have a big impact on their activists? The sort of people who deliver the leaflets, do the canvassing and fight the ground war. These are the people who are going to give up. Not in vast numbers, but when May comes they won't bother taking their annual holiday, they will go and visit relatives at the weekend and otherwise find themselves to be "a bit too busy" to help out like they did last time. Why would they bother going in to battle for a Party where the senior members seem to be at war with each other, and for a leader who by all accounts is pretty toxic on the doorstep. That's why things like this matter, and that's what will do the damage to the Labour vote.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The media might well be biased and all the rest of it, but it seems pretty reasonable to me to write up Ken's verbatim quote "Hitler supported Zionism" as "Hitler was a Zionist".

Does it? I can support something without being it.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

twitter.com/reutersworld/status/849338810311868416

1945 and all that?
    They lit it up in the Union Jack after the Westminster attack!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Danny565 said:

Why, let us see the poison that infects the Labour party.
  • Options

twitter.com/IainDale/status/849380891742924801

He's aged well. :smiley:
  • Options
    General 1: Mein Ken, the Labour Party...
    General 2: ...The Labour Party has suspended you for one year!

Ken: That was an order! The expulsion attack was an order!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A reminder of where Tees Valley is :

https://twitter.com/Psephography/status/842812797872496640

Could Corbyn survive that ?

Con+Ukip > Lab; with this being a single vote in a single constituency, and allowing both for defections (Ukip to Con and Lab to LD) and perhaps a higher rate of absenteeism amongst remaining Labour supporters than those of other parties, I begin to see why Prof Curtice thinks that Labour might not have this one in the bag yet - although they are clearly still the favourites.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Does it? I can support something without being it.
    It's not unreasonable to draw association in that situation though, with that kind of careful wording, as it can be a pretty fine distinction.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

1945 and all that?
    Um, yes! But the Russians were the ones wot raped and pillaged eastern Germany!
  • Options
    One wonders what David Irving thinks about Ken Livingstone tonight.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,860
    Balrog said:

Not really on topic.

Never - and I mean NEVER - apologise for a betting-related post. Despite its current configuration as www.brexiteerswanking.com, PB is actually a betting site.

As to your question, I have two quotes:
    * "Nobody ever went broke locking in a profit" - a fund manager whose name I forget
    * "Leave a piece for the others at the beginning, and a piece for the others at the end" - Charles/RCS1000, I forget which

You are not smart enough to call the top or the bottom of the market, because nobody is. But if you cash out while the market still has - by your judgement - a little way to go, you stand a better chance to make a profit.

Torturing yourself because you didn't make enough profit is a different pain to torturing yourself because you made a loss.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

No - I am not going to let that stand. If someone wants to criticise what the Israeli government does or does not do, they can say so by using the phrase "Israeli government". There is absolutely no need to use the word Zionism. What is transparent is the tactic used by those who dislike Jews but don't want to say so obviously and latch onto the word Zionist as a way of criticising Jews and, if challenged, then claiming disingenuously that they only meant Israel. You can see this all the time if you read or listen to the outpourings of the sorts of people befriended by the likes of Ken or Corbyn or too many others in Labour.

Of course, one can criticise the policies of a particular government, including Israel. But it is curious how only in the case of Israel, a state established as a result of a vote by the United Nations, do so many of its critics think that policies they disagree with justify the state not existing at all. With no other country - no matter how vile its policies (let's take some examples: China, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Iran) - does criticism ever turn into a demand that the state be destroyed and its people obliterated or removed or killed. And yet that does happen with Israel and the Jews. There is something determined and obsessive about the insistence that Israel is uniquely evil amongst all the states of this world and that this country, uniquely, does not deserve to exist. Why? A lack of a sense of proportion or, possibly, something more sinister. Too many of Ken and Corbyn's friends and allies give the impression and worse that the only thing wrong with the Holocaust is that it did not kill enough Jews. Too many of them recycle well-worn and ancient anti-semitic tropes. We should call out this vileness for what it is.

The attitude of Hitler and the Nazi party to the Jews was clear from the start. It was one of unremitting hatred and contempt leading to vileness, persecution and genocidal murder. This was not accidental or an afterthought. It was inherent in Nazi ideology. Ken is no different from the David Irvings of this world. No decent party would give David Irving or people like him house room. So why is Ken indulged? The answer is wholly unflattering to Labour. It has lost its moral compass.

No-one should be afraid to criticise the Israeli government. But I think that we need to realise that a lot of people who dislike or hate Jews, a lot of people who are anti-Semites use phrases such as Zionism and Zionist because it is an easy way of allowing them to express their hatred of Jews under a disguised and utterly disingenuous claim to be criticising only the Israeli government.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Balrog said:

You are thinking about this the right way, and doing a lot that's right. One of the most difficult problems, as you imply, is figuring out whether to take profits or stick with your position

In principle, this isn't a hard decision. At any time, if you back an eventuality where the odds are longer than the 'true' probability, you are improving your net likely profit. Conversely, if the odds have shortened more than the probability of that eventuality indicate, you should lay. Any existing position is, strictly speaking, irrelevant to the decision you have to take now.

However, it's not quite so simple. The biggest issue is the obvious one: you don't actually know the 'true' probability (if indeed there is any such thing - a philosophical question for another day). The second, related, issue is that you need to assess your tolerance of risk. You may think, for example that Marine Le Pen has less than the 22% chance of winning which the Betfair odds currently imply, and that maybe it should be 15%. If so, you might think that's an obvious lay. So do you risk £100 on that proposition? £500? £10,000? How confident are you - how confident can you be? - that your assessment of the probabilities is right and the market's is wrong? And even if you are exactly right and the market is wrong, how much can you afford to risk on the 15% probability that the bet goes the other way?

All of this is, at the end of the day, a judgement call. If you think the market is wrong, you should back your judgement to the extent that you are comfortable with the risks you are taking. If you are not sure, then it makes more sense to lay off existing profits while your are ahead.

Good luck!
  • Options

Cookie said:

Can I suggest that it might have a big impact on their activists? The sort of people who deliver the leaflets, do the canvassing and fight the ground war. These are the people who are going to give up. Not in vast numbers, but when May comes they won't bother taking their annual holiday, they will go and visit relatives at the weekend and otherwise find themselves to be "a bit too busy" to help out like they did last time. Why would they bother going in to battle for a Party where the senior members seem to be at war with each other, and for a leader who by all accounts is pretty toxic on the doorstep. That's why things like this matter, and that's what will do the damage to the Labour vote.
    I do wonder if it would be reasonable for me to inquire of any canvassers I might or might not get (betting on not) what their views of their respective national leaders is. As we all know local government can hide some weirdos shunned by mainstream parties but also islands of sensible governance away from the spotlight, and the national situation may not be entirely relevant to my own county, but as a reflection of what sort of person they are if they support May or Corbyn etc, I wonder if it is worth asking.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Danny565 said:

You support the disabled killing party don't you?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    It has been commonplace to call pro-Zionist non-Jewish holders of influential positions "Zionists". For example, the Jewish Chronicle last year called Harold Wilson a Zionist. Anyone going to complain?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

No - I am not going to let that stand. If someone wants to criticise what the Israeli government does or does not do, they can say so by using the phrase "Israeli government". .
    Indeed so, and there's much to criticise about it. It's curious that many assume if one criticises this sort of thing, it must be a cover to disallow criticism of Israeli policies, even when the critic is happy to criticise those things too.
  • Options

Floater said:

Danny565 said:

You see John some of us don't vote for parties irrespective of anything they say and do.

I don't support any party, I have voted for several parties and even sat out several elections.

You can be sure though that I am more likely to vote monster loony party than Labour though.

If you want to sup with that filth that's your call.
  • Options

Floater said:

Danny565 said:

I really don't know why the Electoral Commission allowed "The Disabled Killing Party" through as a registered party name, I mean it seems like an obvious red flag to me.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

No - I am not going to let that stand. If someone wants to criticise what the Israeli government does or does not do, they can say so by using the phrase "Israeli government". There is absolutely no need to use the word Zionism. What is transparent is the tactic used by those who dislike Jews but don't want to say so obviously and latch onto the word Zionist as a way of criticising Jews and, if challenged, then claiming disingenuously that they only meant Israel. You can see this all the time if you read or listen to the outpourings of the sorts of people befriended by the likes of Ken or Corbyn or too many others in Labour.

Of course, one can criticise the policies of a particular government, including Israel. But it is curious how only in the case of Israel, a state established as a result of a vote by the United Nations, do so many of its critics think that policies they disagree with justify the state not existing at all. With no other country - no matter how vile its policies (let's take some examplSNIP ly, something more sinister. Too many of Ken and Corbyn's friends and allies give the impression and worse that the only thing wrong with the Holocaust is that it did not kill enough Jews. Too many of them recycle well-worn and ancient anti-semitic tropes. We should call out this vileness for what it is.

The attitude of Hitler and the Nazi party to the Jews was clear from the start. It was one of unremitting hatred and contempt leading to vileness, persecution and genocidal murder. This was not accidental or an afterthought. It was inherent in Nazi ideology. Ken is no different from the David Irvings of this world. No decent party would give David Irving or people like him house room. So why is Ken indulged? The answer is wholly unflattering to Labour. It has lost its moral compass.

No-one should be afraid to criticise the Israeli government. But I think that we need to realise that a lot of people who dislike or hate Jews, a lot of people who are anti-Semites use phrases such as Zionism and Zionist because it is an easy way of allowing them to express their hatred of Jews under a disguised and utterly disingenuous claim to be criticising only the Israeli government.
    Well said, yet again.
  • Options
    I note the suspension ends on 27 April 2018, guaranteeing news coverage in the Ham & High (and elsewhere) a week before local elections in London.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,084
    As North Korea fires another missile...

https://twitter.com/cnnpolitics/status/849382684686254086
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

I do wonder if it would be reasonable for me to inquire of any canvassers I might or might not get (betting on not) what their views of their respective national leaders is. As we all know local government can hide some weirdos shunned by mainstream parties but also islands of sensible governance away from the spotlight, and the national situation may not be entirely relevant to my own county, but as a reflection of what sort of person they are if they support May or Corbyn etc, I wonder if it is worth asking.
    It might be, but the trouble is that activists are usually astute enough to know that they shouldn't criticise their "elders and betters" outside of a strictly controlled party environment, and certainly not say anything untoward to a non-Member. They will all profess unswerving loyalty, or else quietly remove themselves from the fight. The only other possibility is that they might say, "Well, it's not about our Leader in Westminster, it's all about getting Councillor Spart re-elected in Gas Works Ward so that we can get the bins emptied."

But please try - I would be interested to hear what they might have to say.
  • Options

I note the suspension ends on 27 April 2018, guaranteeing news coverage in the Ham & High (and elsewhere) a week before local elections in London.

Exquisite!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,860

RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

1945 and all that?
    And the Germans were the ones that invaded Russia with the explicit aim of occupying Western Russia, sending the crops back to the Reich, and letting the indigenes starve to death to save bullets. And the British and Americans were the ones who launched thousand bomber raids that burned and asphyxiated entire city populations to death. And the Romanians, and the Hungarians, and the Japanese, and the Koreans, and the, and the, and the,...

Small gestures can count for a lot. Switch the bloody lights on
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Can I suggest that it might have a ur vote.
    It might be, but the trouble is that activists are usually astute enough to know that they shouldn't criticise their "elders and betters" outside of a strictly controlled party environment, and certainly not say anything untoward to a non-Member. They will all profess unswerving loyalty, or else quietly remove themselves from the fight. The only other possibility is that they might say, "Well, it's not about our Leader in Westminster, it's all about getting Councillor Spart re-elected in Gas Works Ward so that we can get the bins emptied."

But please try - I would be interested to hear what they might have to say.
    I am expecting either effusive support - I believe the local party was very excited by Corbyn's election, and had a modest swelling of its ranks - or a deflection such as you suggest. Either will tell me much. I know some Lab, LD and Con local politicos, and many to be respected on all sides for their local work regardless of national politics, but as a base piece of info to consider, it feels necessary.
  • Options

Never ever used the Z word myself but have to admit far too many Lefties seem obsessed. Just don't get it TBH
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    edited April 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Too many of Ken and Corbyn's friends and allies give the impression and worse that the only thing wrong with the Holocaust is that it did not kill enough Jews. Too many of them recycle well-worn and ancient anti-semitic tropes. We should call out this vileness for what it is.

Try to relate what you said to the Livingstone quotes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-anti-semitism-row-full-transcript-of-ken-livingstones-interviews-a7005311.html

He doesn't actually criticise Zionists, he criticises the Israeli government policies. And he repeatedly makes the point about conflating antisemitism with criticising the Israeli government policies - which is what you are doing.

"Too many of Ken and Corbyn's friends and allies give the impression and worse that the only thing wrong with the Holocaust is that it did not kill enough Jews."

Come on Cyclefree. You are better than that I know.
  • Options
    Has Ken STFU yet?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,463
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

1945 and all that?
    And the Germans were the ones that invaded Russia with the explicit aim of occupying Western Russia, sending the crops back to the Reich, and letting the indigenes starve to death to save bullets. And the British and Americans were the ones who launched thousand bomber raids that burned and asphyxiated entire city populations to death. And the Romanians, and the Hungarians, and the Japanese, and the Koreans, and the, and the, and the,...

Send PA474 over a 50 feet. A couple of lights pointing down to illuminate the gate as she flies over....
  • Options

As North Korea fires another missile...

https://twitter.com/cnnpolitics/status/849382684686254086

I'm not sure possessing Trident actually makes us safer if the scenario plays out like I think it may.

Quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Exhibit (a) - Hamas. Oh, and look who's been talking about them...

https://twitter.com/SnoozeInBrief/status/849366233514422276
  • Options

Floater said:

Danny565 said:

Floater isn't a Labour supporter, surely?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/17/eugenics-skeleton-rattles-loudest-closet-left
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @rose_mary_jane: The year is 2050. Ken Livingstone funeral is held up by Labour talks over whether to expel him. From the coffin, a muffled cry: "Hitler..."
  • Options
    A statement released by [Ken's] office said he would be launching a campaign to overturn the suspension, adding that the hearing "was not in accord with natural justice" because it was held in private.

That's it, Ken? I'm sure that would have been a rollercoaster to watch, but I'd have thought in most instances it'd take more than merely being held in private to be a breach of natural justice, in the sense of requiring the right to be heard, and be heard fairly without bias.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39498275
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Cyclefree said:

Exhibit (a) - Hamas. Oh, and look who's been talking about them...

https://twitter.com/SnoozeInBrief/status/849366233514422276
    I made an error in 2015. All the attack lines on Ed Miliband I assumed were baked into the polling/scores already.

Remind yourself come 2020 - the polling effect for attack lines on Corbyn are NOT baked in. And boy are there alot more of them than there ever were for that nice Jewish boy Edward Samuel Miliband.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    From Islington North I see. No matter, true believers 10 a penny over there. I'm guessing.
  • Options

I am expecting either effusive support - I believe the local party was very excited by Corbyn's election, and had a modest swelling of its ranks - or a deflection such as you suggest. Either will tell me much. I know some Lab, LD and Con local politicos, and many to be respected on all sides for their local work regardless of national politics, but as a base piece of info to consider, it feels necessary.

Unfortunately for the Labour Party, I don't think it is the Corbynistas who are going to deliver the leaflets or do the canvassing or sit in the rain outside the Polling Booths. So the Executive Committee may have been enthusiastic back then, but where have all the trustworthy types who can be relied on to go out and represent the Party gone now?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Never ever used the Z word myself but have to admit far too many Lefties seem obsessed. Just don't get it TBH

Imagine apartheid South Africa causing five million people to live as refugees, sending in their tanks and airforce against the bantustans, revelling in having had hundreds of parliamentarians in big parties of "left" and "right" in leading western countries sign up as their "friends", attacking peace flotillas, and so on, while shouting as loud as they can that their critics are like Hitler and ethnically prejudiced against them. Then imagine talkers talking about the difference between being apartheidist and pro-apartheidist and the importance of what happened in the Boer Wars to what position one should take in respect of apartheid now.
  • Options

Has Ken STFU yet?

The man needs to rest up for the morning shows.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Question for PB gamblers.

If SPIN were doing seat spreads on the next general election, what do you think the mid point would be for Con, Lab, Lib Dem, and SNP?

(Assuming a 650 seat parliament)

Con 370-380
    Lab 180-190
    LD 16-20
    SNP 48-52

Or thereabouts.
  • Options
    Sorry, kle4, I have messed up the Quote thing again. I must learn how to do it properly one day....
  • Options
    Blimey, the French candidates are still yapping on!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    To borrow a page from Sunil's book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0

Labour waverers: I can't do this, guys

Labour MPs: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great campaigns, comrade. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and Ken livingstone too. And sometimes you didn't want to know the result of the election or disciplinary hearing. Because how could the result be happy.

How could the party go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer with a stonking great labour majority..

Those were the campaigns that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too smothered by a tory majority to understand why. But I think, comrade, I do understand. I know now. The party in those campaigns had lots of chances of turning back and defecting only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Labour waverers: What are we holding on to?

Labour MPs: That there's some good in this party, comrade. And it's worth fighting for.
  • Options

Sorry, kle4, I have messed up the Quote thing again. I must learn how to do it properly one day....

It's one of the mystical arts of PB, along with mind reading and sub sample divination.
  • Options
    Ken on the Newsnight repeat on BBC News Channel.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

1945 and all that?

I wasn't defending the Germans, just trying to think of a reason why they might not want to turn them on.
  • Options

Blimey, the French candidates are still yapping on!

Surely noone has watched the whole thing.
This discussion has been closed.