Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ken suspended from LAB for a year over Hitler comments – not e

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So are Labour moderates actually going to do anything or just huff and puff?

I know what I'm expecting.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:
    I couldn't imagine May, Johnson or Davis being able to pull off a similar Q&A session with students in California about the 'opportunities' of Brexit. She's doing a fantastic job laying the groundwork internationally to prepare the world for the prospect of an independent Scotland.
    California, especially around San Francisco as Stanford is was strongly for Hillary and thus would also have been strongly for Remain, just as it is the type of area to support the new California secessionist movement after Trump's win so it will also be sympathetic to a Scottish nationalist seeking to break away from the Leave voting UK
    It's about as left wing an audience as one could find in the USA.
    Tomorrow she goes to DC to find the second most leftwing
    Well her soft left patter is hardly going to resonate with the good people of Oklahoma city :p
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

What a bear garden this French debate is.

I thought Macron might have taken a bit of a risk with his "nationalism is war" quote, but apparently Francois Mitterand said something similiar so he should be ok with it.
    Several of the candidates wouldn't be out of place haranguing innocent passers-by at Speakers' Corner..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,838

So are Labour moderates actually going to do anything or just huff and puff?

I know what I'm expecting.

One or two will publicly say this was wrong, a dozen others will whine anonymously to journalists, two dozen will cry into their pillows, and everyone else doesn't care so long as the party sticks together, either in support of the Corbyn project or prepare his successor.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @lisanandy: Standing against racism is one of the many reasons I'm proud to be in the Labour Party. Today is a sad day for this movement.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Labour MP: "Corbyn is adding insult to injury by putting Shami up to defend Livingstone. She has zero credibility and no self respect."

I had a lot of time for Shami when she first took over Liberty. Standing up against Blair and his oppressive legislation at a time when he could seeming do no wrong was brave. Unfortunately the years have no been kind to her and she seems to have completely sold out now.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Hyufd

Sounds remarkably like the arguments used against the minimum wage. I can assure you that my mother-in-law's shop does not need to open at 6am on Boxing Day to survive. It does so out of pure greed. She hasn't had three days off together at Christmas for 15 years. And she is fairly typical among retail workers.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I thought Macron might have taken a bit of a risk with his "nationalism is war" quote, but apparently Francois Mitterand said something similiar so he should be ok with it.
    Several of the candidates wouldn't be out of place haranguing innocent passers-by at Speakers' Corner..
    We should get them logins.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Marine Le Pen strong on the terrorism topic. Interesting that she's attacking Fillon specifically.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@lisanandy: Standing against racism is one of the many reasons I'm proud to be in the Labour Party. Today is a sad day for this movement.

The test of that will be the next time she gets an opportunity to condemn the Tories over something some idiot says (obviously the opportunity will occur), without acknowledging any comparable party culpability on shitty people.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    I couldn't imagine May, Johnson or Davis being able to pull off a similar Q&A session with students in California about the 'opportunities' of Brexit. She's doing a fantastic job laying the groundwork internationally to prepare the world for the prospect of an independent Scotland.
    Laying the groundwork of an independent Scotland with students of California? :p
    Stanford today, Washington tomorrow. ;)
    Laying the groundwork for Scotland's independence which should coincide with President Kennedy's landslide 2024 win.
    If California has not seceded from the Union first

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California,_Falkirk
  • Options
    Le Pen has just called France a Jihadi University.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Surely that's Brussels?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We should get them logins.
    I think some of them may already be here!
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

bobajobPB said:

Kle4

Correct. The upshot is that retail workers like my mother-in-law cannot see their grandchildren over Christmas because their mean employers make them work both Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

Funnily enough, I know office based workers who get narked off about being forced to use some of their leave between Christmas and New Year.
    I know someone who worked for a local authority. He invariably "volunteered" to go in between xmas and new year, spent 3 days doing absolutely sfa, and preserved his holiday entitlement for the summer.
    I do that every year, although I do try to get some work done, its just the 'things that pop up' stuff doesn't occur then. Good time to tidy up errant files and plan out some stuff for the rest of the year.
    Fair enough. Some people can use the time productively. Others languish in a comfortable semi-darkness without meetings, phone calls or emails.
    My old company banned it because people were notionally coming in, then disappearing an hour later, and no-one was there in person or online to monitor it. I have never seen the point myself - with neither clients nor colleagues around there is very little you can do beyond tidying up the office.
    I totally approve of the Great British Long Christmas. It's sad to see my US in-laws up betimes on Boxing Day, grafting that little bit extra for Uncle Sam. We have the late great Harold Wilson to thank, for making NYD a Bank Holiday, effectively declaring a 10-day or even a 14-day national holiday. As a natural small-c conservative I welcome this reversion to the agricultural calendar, not to mention the old Pagan solstice.

"A cold coming we had of it,
    Just the worst time of the year"

What's the point in pretending to work?
  • Options
    Fillon presidential but BORING!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited April 2017
    I've just received the latest RCP polling roundup on Trump's popularity.

Even Rasmussen has him on 57% disapproval.

The downward trend is rapid.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

This must be eating him up.
  • Options

Surely he needs to do better than the bang average performance he is giving.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

bobajobPB said:

Kle4

Correct. The upshot is that retail workers like my mother-in-law cannot see their grandchildren over Christmas because their mean employers make them work both Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

Funnily enough, I know office based workers who get narked off about being forced to use some of their leave between Christmas and New Year.
    I know someone who worked for a local authority. He invariably "volunteered" to go in between xmas and new year, spent 3 days doing absolutely sfa, and preserved his holiday entitlement for the summer.
    I do that every year, although I do try to get some work done, its just the 'things that pop up' stuff doesn't occur then. Good time to tidy up errant files and plan out some stuff for the rest of the year.
    Fair enough. Some people can use the time productively. Others languish in a comfortable semi-darkness without meetings, phone calls or emails.
    My old company banned it because people were notionally coming in, then disappearing an hour later, and no-one was there in person or online to monitor it. I have never seen the point myself - with neither clients nor colleagues around there is very little you can do beyond tidying up the office.
    I totally approve of the Great British Long Christmas. It's sad to see my US in-laws up betimes on Boxing Day, grafting that little bit extra for Uncle Sam. We have the late great Harold Wilson to thank, for making NYD a Bank Holiday, effectively declaring a 10-day or even a 14-day national holiday. As a natural small-c conservative I welcome this reversion to the agricultural calendar, not to mention the old Pagan solstice.

Quite right. Nice post.
  • Options
    How is Macron doing (for those of us unable to watch)? Surely only his and perhaps Mélenchon's performances really matter?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090

Prime ministerial... His election strategy was based on the Pierre principle.
  • Options

How is Macron doing (for those of us unable to watch)? Surely only his and perhaps Mélenchon's performances really matter?

Possibly, but remember, PB said that Trump was finished after the first debate (I know, different system, but still).
  • Options
    edited April 2017

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

bobajobPB said:

Kle4

I like the quiet and it gives me more time off at times I prefer to be out and about. But most people adore the long break.
  • Options

Macron's odds have been getting longer. He's now out to 1.74-1.76.
  • Options

I've switched off (Or accidentally closed the tab) - I'd say Melenchon was slightly better than Macron.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Possibly, but remember, PB said that Trump was finished after the first debate (I know, different system, but still).
    I'm not saying that other candidates don't matter. Obviously they do. But their vote is less dependent on events like this.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:
    California, especially around San Francisco as Stanford is was strongly for Hillary and thus would also have been strongly for Remain, just as it is the type of area to support the new California secessionist movement after Trump's win so it will also be sympathetic to a Scottish nationalist seeking to break away from the Leave voting UK
    It's about as left wing an audience as one could find in the USA.
    I don't think so. It houses the Hoover Institute. Look elsewhere in the bay area for more lefty universities.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Labour seem intent on testing the no lower than 25% theory to destruction - just a shame the Mythbusters boys have hung up their spurs - I'd love to see them testing this "urban myth" !!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Why is anyone focusing on Livingstone.. He is part of Labour's problem, not the future.
  • Options
    calum said:

Labour seem intent on testing the no lower than 25% theory to destruction

Tonight's events won't shift it either way.
  • Options

Why is anyone focusing on Livingstone.. He is part of Labour's problem, not the future.

How they deal with the past and present determines their future.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

calum said:

I'm not sure about that. This will piss off a section of Labour support that till now has been sticking in there.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

He's been better in this one that the last so far, but nothing special. Which is fine for him.

Melenchon is good, probably the best, luckily for him the other left ones are pretty poor. Hamon is dire so may lose more votes.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Will an MP from the Labour Moderate wing or Tory Remainer wing just defect already, I'm getting bored here!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

kle4 said:

calum said:

I'm not sure about that. This will piss off a section of Labour support that till now has been sticking in there.
    Which one?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Will an MP from the Labour Moderate wing or Tory Remainer wing just defect already, I'm getting bored here!

It might provide a pretext for a by-election, I guess.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Labour MPs would be well advised to do nothing before the local elections.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Labour MPs would be well advised to do nothing before the local elections.
    Fortune favours the bold!
  • Options

kle4 said:

calum said:

Agree it could take another chunk out. It could also take another chunk from Corbyn's membership lifeline - but conscious that that might be wishful thinking on my part.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

How they deal with the past and present determines their future.
    Frankly, If I never heard Livingstone speak again it would be too soon.

Whilst what you say is correct, its too late for that. Labour's future is assured. Its a question of whether as TSE put it its going to be an ELE.
  • Options

I don't understand the fuss about Livingstone.

He said " Let’s remember when Hitler won his election in 1932, his policy then was that Jews should be moved to Israel. He was supporting Zionism – this before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews. "

This is either true or it's false. Surely it is easily checked?

If it is true, end of story.

If it is false, then Livingstone got his facts wrong but it is a bit of a stretch to say his remark was antisemitic (i.e. Jew-hating). What does it matter whether Hitler's policy in 1932 was that Jews should be moved to Israel or not? What matters is that he ended up killing six million Jews as Livingstone said. The response from many, including on here, is simply hysterical.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Sounds remarkably like the arguments used against the minimum wage. I can assure you that my mother-in-law's shop does not need to open at 6am on Boxing Day to survive. It does so out of pure greed. She hasn't had three days off together at Christmas for 15 years. And she is fairly typical among retail workers.

Taking advantage of the Boxing Day sales is nothing like the minimum wage, especially as you just take another day off instead
  • Options

kle4 said:

calum said:

Which one?
    Biens pensants who to date have thought team Labour is more important than the current leadership. If they conclude that the rotten apples have infected too much of the basket, they'll be off.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Sunderland lose. :smile:
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    Excuse me while I pat myself on the back....

March 3;

"If I could understand french (and had bigger balls), I'd probably lay Juppe @ <4/1 for thousands right now.

In fact, put that bet down as a Pong paper trade."

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1458242#Comment_1458242

At this point last month, the market had got way ahead of itself on Juppe.

Is there value in the market right now? I think there is.
  • Options

kle4 said:

calum said:

Which one?
    Biens pensants who to date have thought team Labour is more important than the current leadership. If they conclude that the rotten apples have infected too much of the basket, they'll be off.
    Bien pensants s'il vous plaît.
  • Options

Is there anywhere to watch this debate online? (preferably with English translation like the first debate)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Taking advantage of the Boxing Day sales is nothing like the minimum wage, especially as you just take another day off instead
    Another day != Boxing Day. "Stop whining grandma, I've already told you you can have Tuesday 17 January off. You can see your bloody grandson then."
  • Options
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

calum said:

Which one?
    You have omitted a comma after pensants.
  • Options

Just imagine a six week general election campaign with this happening on a daily basis

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/849312890477846529

There's not enough popcorn in the world
    Indeed, plus there's something Spursy about Corbyn and Labour.
    Low blow... but i realise the pb fantasy league must be causing some pain.
    Patience, I have my wild cards to play.
    Labour are more Man United surely? Past glories.... hard to see them coming out top again?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Le Pen's 'victimised' schtick is very worn out, and makes her look like a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist.
  • Options

kle4 said:

calum said:

Which one?
    You may turn out to be correct, but personally I suspect that most of them will regard any and all incidents of this type as so many side-shows, inflated beyond their true importance by the MSM/Tory right-wing press.

The only ones that appear to have quit in disgust are the Continuity Remainers, and that pool already appears to have been drained - hence the fact that the Lib Dems have advanced from about 8% to 10-11% in the polls, but now seem to be levelling off again.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    There is a serious question here for MPs, in this case Labour but it applies to others. Loyalty is understandable; you like the values and achievements of a party, it supported you, it got you elected, you feel you owe it in return. But the question is this:

Hypothetically, is there any point that could be reached, or any action that might be taken, that would lead to you leaving the party and actively fighting against what it has become, a point or action where staying inside and fighting within the party, is a lost cause?

If the answer to the hypothetical is no, as it is for most, then you are a fanatical party robot at heart, and sadness displayed at awful things in the party is probably just faulty programming that won't override core directive, and if you won't act then stop acting like you will. If the answer to the hypothetical is yes, then consider what your lines truly are, be clear with yourself if not others what you will no longer accept.
  • Options

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

calum said:

Which one?
    You have omitted a comma after pensants.
    Zut!
  • Options
    For once, that's a good tweet by Guido. Elegantly packaged and delivered.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Another day != Boxing Day. "Stop whining grandma, I've already told you you can have Tuesday 17 January off. You can see your bloody grandson then."
    Well she can, half the relatives have gone by lunchtime on Boxing Day if not before and apart from a brief walk most of it is spent in front of the TV
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

He said " Let’s remember when Hitler won his election in 1932, his policy then was that Jews should be moved to Israel. He was supporting Zionism – this before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews. "

If it is false, then Livingstone got his facts wrong but it is a bit of a stretch to say his remark was antisemitic (i.e. Jew-hating). What does it matter whether Hitler's policy in 1932 was that Jews should be moved to Israel or not? What matters is that he ended up killing six million Jews as Livingstone said. The response from many, including on here, is simply hysterical.
    Ken has said plenty else around all this which place all his remarks in specific contexts, it's not about a single remark.
  • Options

kle4 said:

calum said:

Where would it go?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,736
    Interesting decision. Labour can probably forget about winning Hendon and Finchley at the next election.
  • Options

Le Pen's 'victimised' schtick is very worn out, and makes her look like a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist.

The format including all the 'speakers' corner' candidates doesn't do her any favours. Poutou got a few laughs at her expense.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Macron: "We need to respect the presumption of innocence."
    Camera shows Fillon nodding and smiling.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Spot the odd one out

Reaction:

Campaign Against Anti-Semitism: “This surely represents the death throes of the Labour Party’s long relationship with the Jewish community.”

Holocaust Educational Trust: “This verdict is a slap on the wrist for a serial offender. That a mainstream political party would consider these views to be welcome within their ranks simply demonstrates that antisemitism is not taken as seriously as all other forms of racism and prejudice.”

Jewish Labour Movement: “This is a betrayal of our Party’s values. One year suspension allows for a revolving door for repeat offenders.”

CST: “This decision strengthens real anti-Semites and their fellow travellers, and will leave the Jewish community less confident than ever that Labour is serious in dealing with anti-Semitism.”

Luciana Berger: “A new low for my party this evening. Appalling decision. Why is antisemitism being treated differently from any other form of racism?”

Wes Streeting: “So much for zero tolerance approach to antisemitism – this is a terrible betrayal of Jewish Labour supporters and our values.”

Michael Dugher: “Is the party really saying it knows more about antisemitism than the Chief Rabbi?”

Tulip Siddiq: “Absolutely ridiculous. Why has this man not been expelled?!”

John Woodcock: “This pathetic Livingstone sentence is an important moment Labour members: do we stand for decency against this or are we part of the decay?”

Communities Secretary Sajid Javid: “Astonishing and wrong that Ken Livingstone has not been expelled. His repeated and offensive comments are totally and utterly unacceptable.”

Shami Chakrabarti: “Labour is the party of both equality and natural justice.”
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

calum said:

Where would it go?
    Mostly to abstention, I imagine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Well she can, half the relatives have gone by lunchtime on Boxing Day if not before and apart from a brief walk most of it is spent in front of the TV
    Except he's at school and she doesn't get to see him open his presents, nor have Christmas lunch with him.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Surely that's Brussels?
    To be fair Germany well on the way to joining the pair of them
  • Options
    Fillon, asked whether he made mistakes, says no he didn't.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting decision. Labour can probably forget about winning Hendon and Finchley at the next election.

Wonder if the bookmakers will offer odds on Labour gaining no seats at all from any other party at the next GE - and, if so, how short they would be?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Except he's at school and she doesn't get to see him open his presents, nor have Christmas lunch with him.
    Have Christmas Dinner in the evening and open the presents then, problem solved, that is what my uncle did and there are things called school holidays and half term
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm going to be controversial and say I think Labour have reached their floor of 25%ish, and nothing that happens between now and 2020 will probably see them drop any lower for the GE itself (though they might dip below now and then).
  • Options
    That Nick Cohen tweet says it all really.

Labour, what the fuck are you becoming?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Andy_JS said:

Wonder if the bookmakers will offer odds on Labour gaining no seats at all from any other party at the next GE - and, if so, how short they would be?
    I can't see many possibles at all - East Renfrewshire an outside chance maybe ? Croydon Central ? I think those stay SNP/Con respectively.
    It is odds against that they gain any at all I think though. This is quite different to 2015 where Lab/Con seats were basically a wash.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

Have Christmas Dinner in the evening and open the presents then, problem solved, that is what my uncle did and there are things called school holidays and half term
    She lives 300 miles away
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm going to be controversial and say I think Labour have reached their floor of 25%ish, and nothing that happens between now and 2020 will probably see them drop any lower for the GE itself (though they might dip below now and then).

An interesting GE market would be which will be the bigger number

1) The increase in the Tory share of the vote

or

2) The decline in the Labour share of the vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

She lives 300 miles away
    If someone has work commitments like that, surely you try your best to work around them? We often had Christmas celebrations days after the fact with some of our relatives.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017

Andy_JS said:

Even on 25%, it's not impossible they'd pick up one or two *odd* seats that split LD/CON/LAB/OTHER just right - eg, brighton pavilion(?)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    kle4 said:

I think Corbyn can shave a third off Gordon's vote total. 20% is their floor in my view.

They will be down about three quarters of a million in Scotland alone, while the polling suggests about 25% of English Northern/Midlands voters will walk away from the current incarnation of Labour.

There was a subsample yesterday that had Labour leading the Tories 44-33 among BAME voters. That used to be 70-20 or thereabouts.
  • Options
    Was the Easter egg squirrel a planned distraction from a climb down on getting a free trade deal within the A50 negotiations? Now they're floating the prospect of continuing free movement during the transition.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/04/free-movement-will-go-on-in-transition-after-brexit-theresa-may
  • Options
    The Chairman and Chief Executive of J P Morgan has admitted he will move hardly any jobs out of Britain in the next two years as a result of Brexit in a U turn on his pre referendum warning that a vote to leave the EU could mean as many as 4,000 jobs moving across the channel

Going a step further he warned it is the EU itself, not the UK, that potentially faces wider problems. He went on to say the Bank will need to obtain licences and permissions to operate across the EU but that it will still be able to service European clients from the UK.

He said this does not entail moving many people in the next two years in a letter to shareholders.

• Options
    kle4 said:

I've had my doubts about this recently, but am gradually working my way back towards your position. Well, possibly if there's some degree of pro-Lab/anti-Con bias still present in the polls then the final value might be a little below 25%, but probably not by that much.

Much of Labour's 2015 vote has already gone to other parties, but the rot appears to have stopped: the further you dig down into Labour's core, the more difficult the remaining voters become to chip off. There's now more than enough evidence to confirm a modest Lib Dem recovery, but their numbers appear to be levelling off again as they max out the available poll of distraught Europhiles willing to defect.

Barring a total disaster over Brexit or the fall of Corbyn - and there appears to be little evidence to suggest the advent of either at present - then one would suggest that the determining factor in whether the Tories win by less or more than a 20% margin is how much of the remaining Ukip vote is still available for them to mine.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Hyufd

She lives 300 miles away
    Well surely the family can go up to visit her and do something in the day, after all she would have to travel 300 miles to go down and visit them for Christmas anyway
  • Options

Was the Easter egg squirrel a planned distraction from a climb down on getting a free trade deal within the A50 negotiations? Now they're floating the prospect of continuing free movement during the transition.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/04/free-movement-will-go-on-in-transition-after-brexit-theresa-may

Not sure free movement during the transition qualifies as a climbdown. If they were saying it would continue after the transition that would be another matter.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    So, of all the furious Labour MPs on Twitter tonight, who's got the balls to actually resign the whip or cross the floor?

Anyone..??
  • Options

kle4 said:

or

Probably (1) I would've thought.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

I think Corbyn can shave a third off Gordon's vote total. 20% is their floor in my view.

They will be down about three quarters of a million in Scotland alone, while the polling suggests about 25% of English Northern/Midlands voters will walk away from the current incarnation of Labour.

There was a subsample yesterday that had Labour leading the Tories 44-33 among BAME voters. That used to be 70-20 or thereabouts.
    25%, even 20% of voters is still the main opposition party and a fifth to a quarter of the electorate for socialism in Corbyn's eyes
  • Options

It was never realistic to get it in 2 years, Canada took much longer, at best it will be a few bilateral agreements with the EU in a few key sectors before Brexit
  • Options

Everyone's floating ideas some good some bad but this has two years to go and we all just need to relax a little and keep an open mind
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    How do you please this guy?! Corbyn complaints people don;t report on what Labour are doing, but they don't want reporting on what Labour is doing re Ken? Chakrabarti sees it is as a huge positive, why not report it widely?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Ken has said plenty else around all this which place all his remarks in specific contexts, it's not about a single remark.
    Here are a large selection of his remarks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-anti-semitism-row-full-transcript-of-ken-livingstones-interviews-a7005311.html

He is pointing out the difference between antisemitism on the one hand, and anti-Zionism and anti-Israeli government policy on the other. There is an agenda that conflates the two so that you cannot criticise the Israeli government without being accused of antisemitism.

The tactic is transparent. It's been discussed on this board many times. The reaction to Livingstone's comments are either hysterical or deeply cynical.
  • Options
    Prof Curtice now saying it's "not beyond the bounds of possibility" that Labour could lose the Tees Valley mayoral vote as well as the West Midlands.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/jeremy-corbyn/news/84852/excl-polling-expert-warns-deep
  • Options
    Ken on radio at 10.30.... just time to get a brew ready..
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    It's worth remembering how Ken first got dragged into the Hitler debate and whose views he was pulled in to explain away.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    is this guy still working as a librarian, surely he should be Milne's replacement soon?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Barnesian said:

He is pointing out the difference between antisemitism on the one hand, and anti-Zionism and anti-Israeli government policy on the other. There is an agenda that conflates the two so that you cannot criticise the Israeli government without being accused of antisemitism.

The tactic is transparent. It's been discussed on this board many times. The reaction to Livingstone's comment are either hysterical or deeply cynical.

Indeed. Ken Livingstone is right. He has more principle and character than all his opponents added together, whatever party they're in. It's a shame that when Jeremy Corbyn was asked by that Commons committee whether he "recognised" the Zionist state's "right to exist" he didn't answer "Hell no, I absolutely do not recognise the right of that racist regime to exist". Everything was bound to be downhill from the moment he couldn't find it in himself to say that.

• Options

In two minutes? impressive :p
  • Options

kle4 said:

or

I think that is almost the same as: which will be the bigger number:

1) The decline in the UKIP vote

or

2) The increase in the LibDem vote.

• Options
    RobD said:

In two minutes? impressive :p
    news and sport first on R5 so not dead on 10.30... i need a proper brew not a tea bag 'wave'
This discussion has been closed.