Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the trend in today’s London poll was replicated in Manchest

13»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    IanB2 said:

There cannot be many things in life worth less than a promise from Boris?
    That's Boris speaking as the Foreign Secretary, not a Leave campaigner :p
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Not a default. Not even anticipatory breach. "We haven’t left the European Union yet, let’s wait to see," as Gove is quoted as saying in the article.
    Government health spending is already over £140bn so a few years of standard increases will mean that extra spending is achieved.
    And with room to spare, I would think.

And the message that's reaching me is: "Hey guys, the strongest argument our opponents could come up with was this ludicrous and risibly transparent hogwash about extra money for the NHS, and we still managed to lose! Go us!" Not sure if that is the intention.
    Has anyone on here tried the New European newspaper? I've seen it around and their blurb says something like Celebrating all that's best about the EU - haven't bought it as I don't want to put money into their coffers, but it seems a pity that the celebration didn't happen before the referendum.
    Remainer time scales are completely Alice through the Looking Glass. "Oh look, the most important plebiscite of our lifetimes, let's await the result before deciding whether to campaign or not." "Oh look, we are 48 hours into a process guaranteed to last for two years, the time for a conclusive judgment on the end result of the process is well overdue."
    But it does address the key issues voters worry about:

Michelin restaurants in Britain: How will Brexit impact UK fine dining?

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin_restaurants_in_britain_how_will_brexit_impact_uk_fine_dining_1_4839214
    Fine dining - is that where you pay £££££££££s for a huge plate & not much food?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited March 2017
    TOPPING said:

Actually, reading PB atm what with its forensic dissection of what the EU is, is a bit like watching 1977 TOTP. Reassuringly familiar, original at one point in time many moons ago, yet classic examples of the genre.

The 1983 series is great for me, lots of the earliest records I ever bought on there... tonight 'The Walk' by The Cure & 'Tantalise' by Jimmy the Hoover
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Paul Waugh on the former political party known as Labour:

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulwaugh?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Oh dear God...

As bad as it is, the most downbeat of the pessimists will look very silly once they suddenly revive.
    kle4 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulwaugh?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Oh dear God...

As bad as it is, the most downbeat of the pessimists will look very silly once they suddenly revive.
    Either Labour will get their act together or a new left wing party will replace it.
    But there's no easy answer. In some respects they have to choose between diversity and collectivism, there being no easy answer. They can console themselves with the fact that most other centre left parties are also collapsing in spite of perhaps the most anti-corporate/capitalist mood in modern times. Such is life in 2017.
    Not everywhere, where the centre left has a reasonably charismatic, centrist leader eg Trudeau, Macron they are ahead in the polls, when Labour eventually does the same they have a chance of returning to power
    Agree. Think the centre left is collapsing everywhere idea is over-played. Clinton won a tad under 50%, the Australian Labor Party out-performed its polling (and just won big in WA), the SPD is competitive in Germany as they are in Italy. The sheer incompetence of Corbyn tends to obscure this.
    Indeed, which is why in a decade I expect the pendulum may well have swung again and most of the west could have centre left governments as nationalism and austerity begins to lose its grip, provided they choose leaders who are appealing and competent
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

Actually, reading PB atm what with its forensic dissection of what the EU is, is a bit like watching 1977 TOTP. Reassuringly familiar, original at one point in time many moons ago, yet classic examples of the genre.

The 1983 series is great for me, lots of the earliest records I ever bought on there... tonight 'The Walk' by The Cure & 'Tantalise' by Jimmy the Hoover
    IOU by Freeez and Who's That Girl by Eurythmics were pretty great records as well IMO.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,980
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Oh dear God...

kle4 said:

Oh dear God...

Either Labour will get their act together or a new left wing party will replace it.
    But there's no easy answer. In some respects they have to choose between diversity and collectivism, there being no easy answer. They can console themselves with the fact that most other centre left parties are also collapsing in spite of perhaps the most anti-corporate/capitalist mood in modern times. Such is life in 2017.
    Not everywhere, where the centre left has a reasonably charismatic, centrist leader eg Trudeau, Macron they are ahead in the polls, when Labour eventually does the same they have a chance of returning to power
    Agree. Think the centre left is collapsing everywhere idea is over-played. Clinton won a tad under 50%, the Australian Labor Party out-performed its polling (and just won big in WA), the SPD is competitive in Germany as they are in Italy. The sheer incompetence of Corbyn tends to obscure this.
    Indeed, which is why in a decade I expect the pendulum may well have swung again and most of the west could have centre left governments as nationalism and austerity begins to lose its grip, provided they choose leaders who are appealing and competent
    That's the thing about pendulums...they always swing.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Not a default. Not even anticipatory breach. "We haven’t left the European Union yet, let’s wait to see," as Gove is quoted as saying in the article.
    Government health spending is already over £140bn so a few years of standard increases will mean that extra spending is achieved.
    And with room to spare, I would think.

And the message that's reaching me is: "Hey guys, the strongest argument our opponents could come up with was this ludicrous and risibly transparent hogwash about extra money for the NHS, and we still managed to lose! Go us!" Not sure if that is the intention.
    Has anyone on here tried the New European newspaper? I've seen it around and their blurb says something like Celebrating all that's best about the EU - haven't bought it as I don't want to put money into their coffers, but it seems a pity that the celebration didn't happen before the referendum.
    Remainer time scales are completely Alice through the Looking Glass. "Oh look, the most important plebiscite of our lifetimes, let's await the result before deciding whether to campaign or not." "Oh look, we are 48 hours into a process guaranteed to last for two years, the time for a conclusive judgment on the end result of the process is well overdue."
    But it does address the key issues voters worry about:

Michelin restaurants in Britain: How will Brexit impact UK fine dining?

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin_restaurants_in_britain_how_will_brexit_impact_uk_fine_dining_1_4839214
    Fine dining - is that where you pay £££££££££s for a huge plate & not much food?
    No, it's where you have an expense account and someone else pays £££££££££s for a huge plate and not much food.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Oh dear God...

kle4 said:

Oh dear God...

That's the thing about pendulums...they always swing.
    When the centre left want to win again they will win
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

IOU by Freeez and Who's That Girl by Eurythmics were pretty great records as well IMO.
    Yeah I just didn't buy them! To be fair the ones I mentioned were on a HITS 83 album I bought. The first single I bought was on about a month ago... very bizarrely it was 'Garden Party' by Mezzoforte. Strange kid!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823
    isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

You know what that's slang for, right?... :)

• Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

I imagined it was someone who did lots of gear?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Depeche Mode's new album is in the Top 5 (new entry)
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/847926695885778946/photo/1

Naughty Nige at it again...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Haha he reckons he's knocked her back! Brilliant!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio
    Oh right! Hoover is slang for coke in these parts
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Indeed, I have just realised it is April 1st tomorrow but I think this story is genuine. Goodnight
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    He's met Meeks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Indeed, I have just realised it is April 1st tomorrow but I think this story is genuine. Goodnight
    Oh blimey! That could be it I guess. Not inconceivable enough though I think
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    The best April Fools are the ones that are plausible.....given Naughty Nige's record with the ladies, it is absolutely plausible.
  • Options
    'It's all a set up, I rejected HER advances': Ukip MEP Nigel Farage denies glamour model's claims they 'groped each other during steamy transatlantic flight'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4369982/Nigel-Farage-denies-glamour-model-s-flight-grope-claims.html
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    The best April Fools are the ones that are plausible.....given Naughty Nige's record with the ladies, it is absolutely plausible.
    It could cost him a fortune in divorce settlements though, I doubt he would agree to a wind up like this while he is still married. If so it's pretty poor form on his wife
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Ally_B said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I actually thought Labour was down 7% since 2015!
    I think it unlikely that the LibDems would win any of the seats listed here - the Tory and Labour MPs under threat would be likely to benefit from first term incumbency.Likewise four of the five projected Tory gains from Labour would face the problem of incumbents enjoying the same bonus.

You forget one very important factor - the formidable Lib Dem ground forces. Whenever the election is called they are going to know exactly where to target their fire and with thousands of new members they're bound to out-perform their bare polling figures.
    I am not persuaded by that. Labour has far more new members but that is hardly helping them either! In most of these former LibDem seats , they will face a double incumbency problem - the loss of their own incumbency bonus and the bonus now likely to be enjoyed by the sitting Labour & Tory MPs.
    I would have thought that having the Labour badge next to your name at the next election would be more of an encumbrance rather than offering any incumbency bonus.
    No - that would be baked into whatever the polling figures are at the time.Moreover, I would expect Corbyn's departure to see Labour's national ratings to bounce back to circa 35%.
    Why? Ed Miliband got just 31% in 2015 and he didn't follow a leader that had reduced the Labour party to an incoherent rabble.
    I suspect that even under Corbyn Labour would actually manage circa 28%. - indeed some polls have put Labour over 30%. UKIP are weaker, and I would expect some drift back to Labour of working class support lost to them as well as recouping votes lost to the Libdems in the last few months.In Scotland we are probably beyond peak SNP with the Tories having recovered tactical voters who had switched away from them, and I think it likely that some former Labour voters will begin to drift home from the SNP by 2020. Moreover, the Tories will have been in Government for 10 years by the next election May will no longer be a new PM and quite a few floating voters will be looking for a 'change'.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

He's met Meeks.
    That's fucking brilliant. Hats off to that old geezer. Personally, I wouldn't agree with every word, but, Yay. Winston Churchill WOULD

Respect.
    I enjoyed that.
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio
    No probs. 1983 wasn't a great year for music: any year with Paul Young in it is a bit pants. New Wave was dead and gone, the New Romantics had underperfomed, electronica's best years were either behind or in front, there was a lot of meh. You can't look at Michael Jackson in the same way post the revelations, so that leaves...what. "I'm Still Standing?" "Mama"? "Let's Dance"?

There are good things: "Dear Prudence", "Temptation", "Flashdance", "Sweet Dreams" ""Total Eclipse of the Heart" (Be quiet. YOU KNOW EVERY WORD!), "Blue Monday", "Burning Down The House"...but not many.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,980
    Off topic betting post: Big Mersey Derby tomorrow. Declared interest EFC fan. 9/2 on Betfair, better than 4 generally for an Everton win tomorrow. OK, our Derby record is abysmal, and we are missing key players (Schneiderlin, Coleman).BUT. We have the best record of any PL side in 2017. Lukaku is on fire, and LFC have hardly been convincing lately (and are missing Lallana). I expect we'll lose, but 4/1? LFC are vulnerable to teams who sit back. If Gareth Barry plays then that is what we will be doing. Worth a punt if Barry is in the starting XI. As ever DYOR.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

It doesn't mean so much these days.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    BudG said:

Apologies if this has been posted before this evening, but this is quite a significant poll from Odoxa tonight.

Since their last poll just before the last TV debate:

Melenchon up 5.5 to 16
    Fillon down 2 to 17

Shows what a difference that debate made to Melenchon's support and with another TV debate coming up next tuesday, there must be a real chance of Melenchon moving into third spot as the main challenger to Macron and Le Pen by the end of next week.

http://www.odoxa.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Intention-de-vote-presidentielle-Dentsu-Consulting-LePoint-31-03-17.pdf

This is Le Pen's route to victory. Forget beating Macron or Fillon (she'd go down by at least 20 points to both), she should be the firm favourite against Melanchon.

But Melanchon needs to inch past Macron in the last month of the campaign. Is it likely? No, is it possible? Yes. I'd make it a 10-15% chance at this point.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This is interesting. I rarely post on Facebook, but I posted the other day, in an empathetic way, about Brexit - essentially what I said on here, explaining how I understood how Remainers might feel, therefore I would not gloat.

My 26 year old niece (smart, friendly, hard-working, very likeable) has just replied

"I wish I could be as articulate as you when explaining to my millions of peers why I voted Brexit. Instead I am racist and uneducated. When you're 26 and a brexit and conservative voter, it's best to not speak about politics at all if you still want friends. Our generation are going to grow up to be a bunch of Corbynites. Help"

Basically everyone between 23-33 is like an even wankier version of Alistair Meeks - hard to believe as that is - amplified by social media pressure.

Imagine. A generation of Alistairs Meeks. Millions and millions of shrill, entitled, narcissistic hyprocritical twat faced wankers like Meeks, only even worse.

Tomorrow belongs to me.
    I fear it does.... EXCEPT that the generation after the Meeks Generation of Twat Faced Wankers seems to be much more right wing. Or so I have observed. And I've closely encountered a few of these twats, recently.
    Music to my ears.
    The generation that voted pro-EU in '73 was Eurosceptic in the referendum. I'm not sure that there's that much correlation between how people feel at 20 and how they feel at 40 and 60. Events shape people's political convictions, and none of us knows the future.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio
    No probs. 1983 wasn't a great year for music: any year with Paul Young in it is a bit pants. New Wave was dead and gone, the New Romantics had underperfomed, electronica's best years were either behind or in front, there was a lot of meh. You can't look at Michael Jackson in the same way post the revelations, so that leaves...what. "I'm Still Standing?" "Mama"? "Let's Dance"?

There are good things: "Dear Prudence", "Temptation", "Flashdance", "Sweet Dreams" ""Total Eclipse of the Heart" (Be quiet. YOU KNOW EVERY WORD!), "Blue Monday", "Burning Down The House"...but not many.
    "Speak like a child" and "In a big country" are the two best songs I've seen on totp so far. "the walk" is ok too and "our lips are sealed" w awkward Terry Hall
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I clicked on Conservative. Interesting to see the final vote, if there'll be more than one tory vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

BudG said:

Apologies if this has been posted before this evening, but this is quite a significant poll from Odoxa tonight.

Melenchon up 5.5 to 16
    Fillon down 2 to 17

Shows what a difference that debate made to Melenchon's support and with another TV debate coming up next tuesday, there must be a real chance of Melenchon moving into third spot as the main challenger to Macron and Le Pen by the end of next week.

http://www.odoxa.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Intention-de-vote-presidentielle-Dentsu-Consulting-LePoint-31-03-17.pdf

This is Le Pen's route to victory. Forget beating Macron or Fillon (she'd go down by at least 20 points to both), she should be the firm favourite against Melanchon.

But Melanchon needs to inch past Macron in the last month of the campaign. Is it likely? No, is it possible? Yes. I'd make it a 10-15% chance at this point.
    Ouch. I'm going to have to start laying some cash on this and, being a data-driven soul of sober consideration, it's probably going to be Macron. The prospect of LePen sneaking up the inside courtesy of differential turnout or some LeGrandeLakes strategy gives me the heebie-jeebies, and I'm not talking 1980's Blondie.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    rcs1000 said:

BudG said:

Melenchon up 5.5 to 16
    Fillon down 2 to 17

If Hamon were man enough to throw in the towel and give his support to Melenchon, then the left would have a shot at the Presidency, but that is unlikely to happen. And yes, I would probably make Le Pen slight favourite in that scenario but there would not be much in it. I think Macron supporters would prefer Melenchon to Le Pen and Fillon supporters would go mainly to Le Pen. It would come down to abstentions as much as votes cast.
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

"Speak like a child" and "In a big country" are the two best songs I've seen on totp so far. "the walk" is ok too and "our lips are sealed" w awkward Terry Hall
    Don't mention "Big Country" to Malc... :)

As for "our lips are sealed", I think the GoGos were better... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TvfPbT_fTY

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

Some songs have aged better than others, still regularly listen to Dear Prudence, Sweet Dreams, Blue Monday, Burning Down the House and Slippery People.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

Should Dear Prudence be 1983 or 1968? Regardless, Siouxsie was great, both with the Banshees and with the Creatures.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
  • Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

"Everything Counts" by Depeche Mode.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Very surprising all the glee over Gibraltar that's being seen in some remain quarters on twitter/in the press etc. I have no particular connection or affinity to Gibraltar, never been and not planning to, but there are several fundamental points which need remembering:
    -for either us, Spain, or the EU to agree to a change in Gib sovereignty without their approval would be entirely un democratic
    - Spain have no actual claim to Gibraltar, we own it fair and square. This isn't like the falklands where legal claims are thin on both sides.
    - Spain are huge hypocrites on this, with their enclaves in morocco, and should be publicly called out on it by Britain if they do try and force the issue.
    - Gibraltar voted remain, so talk about proving brexiteers wrong is aimed at the wrong audience. If Gibraltar had voted leave I could at least understand the schadenfreude somewhat.

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion of course, Spain will huff and puff but this will not be the deal breaker on brexit talks.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

...Regardless, Siouxsie was great, both with the Banshees and with the Creatures.

Amen to that
  • Options
    OUT said:
    Slightly over-egging it... :)
  • Options
    fitalass said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

Some songs have aged better than others, still regularly listen to Dear Prudence, Sweet Dreams, Blue Monday, Burning Down the House and Slippery People.
    Even after all these years I can't work out whether Talking Heads were overrated pretentious artschool tarts doing a bit of slumming, or the full-on real deal...

...I may be overanalysing this... :(
  • Options

AndyJS said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Do you mean in 2017 or 1983?
  • Options

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

Be honest. They didn't get interesting until they stopped looking like 18yr old estate agents... :)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

That version is a bit too "pop" for me, the lyrics suit the darker FBT version in my opinion.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    HYUFD said:
    Valerie Fox describes herself in her escort advert here as having "English / British / European" nationality :) I thought there might be some interesting links but the story seems to be as boring as hell.

Someone who does have some interesting links is Laure Ferrari.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

That version is a bit too "pop" for me, the lyrics suit the darker FBT version in my opinion.
    True, but there is a special place in Heaven for female quartets with a cool chick on bass, bouncing up and down and doing a bit of happy yelling. See also Republica, The Bangles...

...actually, let's look at the Bangles right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    edited April 2017
    While not personally of the Remoaner persuasion, this is quite funny:

https://twitter.com/ComedyCentralUK/status/847859783801737217

And I suspect it reflects how many Remoaners view Brexit.....
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    viewcode said:

fitalass said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

Even after all these years I can't work out whether Talking Heads were overrated pretentious artschool tarts doing a bit of slumming, or the full-on real deal...

...I may be overanalysing this... :(
    Put it this way, they were a bit of both, but they managed to produce some amazing dance tracks. Alas, my hips haven't aged as well as the music, don't think I could keep up now. :)

Youtube - Talking Heads - Slippery People
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRVU1MEgQw8
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This is interesting. I rarely post on Facebook, but I posted the other day, in an empathetic way, about Brexit - essentially what I said on here, explaining how I understood how Remainers might feel, therefore I would not gloat.

My 26 year old niece (smart, friendly, hard-working, very likeable) has just replied

"I wish I could be as articulate as you when explaining to my millions of peers why I voted Brexit. Instead I am racist and uneducated. When you're 26 and a brexit and conservative voter, it's best to not speak about politics at all if you still want friends. Our generation are going to grow up to be a bunch of Corbynites. Help"

Basically everyone between 23-33 is like an even wankier version of Alistair Meeks - hard to believe as that is - amplified by social media pressure.

Imagine. A generation of Alistairs Meeks. Millions and millions of shrill, entitled, narcissistic hyprocritical twat faced wankers like Meeks, only even worse.

Tomorrow belongs to me.
    I fear it does.... EXCEPT that the generation after the Meeks Generation of Twat Faced Wankers seems to be much more right wing. Or so I have observed. And I've closely encountered a few of these twats, recently.
    Music to my ears.
    It's the natural swing of the pendulum, exacerbated by financial reality.

The kids under, say, 23, are just bored of all the identity weirdness. Plus they realise that they will have to work very very much harder than their parents and grandparents, to achieve a similarly decent standard of living.

If they are politically aware, they often have surprisingly flinty attitudes on migration and benefits, for instance.
    having to pay £9000/year in fees for Uni makes you right wing, you realise quickly the perils of huge debt, spending and don't want your taxes to rise.
  • Options
    BudG said:

rcs1000 said:

BudG said:

Melenchon up 5.5 to 16
    Fillon down 2 to 17

If Hamon were man enough to throw in the towel and give his support to Melenchon, then the left would have a shot at the Presidency, but that is unlikely to happen. And yes, I would probably make Le Pen slight favourite in that scenario but there would not be much in it. I think Macron supporters would prefer Melenchon to Le Pen and Fillon supporters would go mainly to Le Pen. It would come down to abstentions as much as votes cast.
    Agreed. If Hamon were to withdraw and back Mélenchon, a larger proportion of those who've said they'd vote for him would vote for Mélenchon than if it were the other way round. In a Le Pen-Mélenchon battle it's hard to imagine Mr "EU" Macron himself backing either candidate with much force.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RobD said:

OUT said:
    Our rock-like support for Gibraltar is so unshakeable that Theresa forgot to mention that in her A50 letter. She did not forget writing about the Irish border.

Understandable.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:
    Our rock-like support for Gibraltar is so unshakeable that Theresa forgot to mention that in her A50 letter. She did not forget writing about the Irish border.

Understandable.
    A shame that the EU wanted to play games with the citizens of Gibraltar. Just waiting for that outrage....
  • Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:
    Our rock-like support for Gibraltar is so unshakeable that Theresa forgot to mention that in her A50 letter.
    If she had you'd be complaining she was using people as bargaining chips......now the EU is doing it, the silence is deafening......
  • Options

surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:
    Our rock-like support for Gibraltar is so unshakeable that Theresa forgot to mention that in her A50 letter.
    If she had you'd be complaining she was using people as bargaining chips......now the EU is doing it, the silence is deafening......
    The EU today said there could be no early deal on citizen rights, no deal until the final deal. Not a peep about that.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

Should Dear Prudence be 1983 or 1968? Regardless, Siouxsie was great, both with the Banshees and with the Creatures.
    When I was a student and I went home for the weekend, I often went out clubbing with an old school friend who dressed just like Siouxsie Sioux right down to her hair and make up. When you consider that my hair and dress sense was more Banarama at the time, it used to cause our parents endless amusement. :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:

Understandable.
    A shame that the EU wanted to play games with the citizens of Gibraltar. Just waiting for that outrage....
    EU27 are hardly playing games or committing an outrage. You can't blame them for supporting the only one of the two states involved in the sovereignty dispute that is also one of their members. The EU has never slavishly followed Britain's position on Gibraltar. For example, the Commission has adopted Spain's "Site of Community Interest". EU27 has no obligation to agree that movements between Gibraltar and itself should be subject to the same rules as those between Britain and itself. It wasn't EU27 that forced Britain to invoke A50. The House of Lords EU Committee were whingeing like crybabies when they reported that "Several witnesses raised the possibility of Spain holding the UK to ransom in exit talks over the sovereignty issue".
  • Options
    Cyan said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:

Understandable.
    EU27 are hardly playing games or committing an outrage. You can't blame them for supporting the only one of the two states involved in the sovereignty dispute that is also one of their members. The EU has never slavishly followed Britain's position on Gibraltar. For example, the Commission has adopted Spain's "Site of Community Interest". EU27 has no obligation to agree that movements between Gibraltar and itself should be subject to the same rules as those between Britain and itself. It wasn't EU27 that forced Britain to invoke A50. The House of Lords EU Committee were whingeing like crybabies when they reported that "Several witnesses raised the possibility of Spain holding the UK to ransom in exit talks over the sovereignty issue".
    Just making a point about the apparent double standards. As for that site of community interests - I had not heard about that before. Stunning that the EU can effectively cede jurisdiction of waters from one territory to another. Hopefully that site of community interest will be defunct when we leave.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Cyan - try replacing EU27 with UK and Gibraltar with the Ukraine and the Baltics
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:

Understandable.
    There is understandable a very different cross border relationship between Ireland and Northern Ireland compared to Spain and Gibralter. How many Brits had to go look at a map to find out where the Falklands were when Argentina invaded, but we still sent a task force to free the Islands who like Gibralter have made it very clear that they wish to remain a British territory.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    fitalass said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:

Understandable.
    There is understandable a very different cross border relationship between Ireland and Northern Ireland compared to Spain and Gibralter. How many Brits had to go look at a map to find out where the Falklands were when Argentina invaded, but we still sent a task force to free the Islands who like Gibralter have made it very clear that they wish to remain a British territory.
    At the moment there's a difference but not an enormous one. The Irish border is inside the Common Travel Area; the Spain-Gibraltar one is between Schengen-EU and non-Schengen EU, similar to France-Britain. Spain won't invade Gibraltar, but they may shut the border. That would be a horrible pain in the neck for people on both sides of it, but they coped with it in the 1970s and without the violence that attended the hard border in Ireland. Spain opened the border in order to get into the EU. With Britain outside the EU, no-one disputes that Spain would have the right to charge people to cross the border and to close it entirely if it wanted to. What has surprised me is how the British media have reported border hassles imposed by Spain as if sending British warships were a reasonable response, leading their less well-informed readers to believe that war is imminent.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

...Jimmy the Hoover

Fellatio

Be honest. They didn't get interesting until they stopped looking like 18yr old estate agents... :)
    I think the opposite actually, I don't like anything they did after 1985 apart from Personal Jesus.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Gibraltar is fucked then.

The last time I was there was on Taranto Night many years ago. I was on top of a human pyramid trying to put chocolate arse print cheeks on the ceiling of the bar. Happy days...
  • Options
    Gibraltar is a gambling den. Let us sell it to Las Vegas.
  • Options

surbiton said:

RobD said:

OUT said:
    Gibraltar is on the European mainland. Therefore, should be part of the EU. Since I do not support colonies, I believe Spain has a very good case. In any event, Theresa May has washed Gibraltar down the plug-hole. Don't blame her. We should get rid of the appendages.

Scotland and Northern Ireland should also be in the EU.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Do you mean in 2017 or 1983?
This discussion has been closed.