Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Can we end this “snap election” speculation – TMay, like Dave

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    FF43 said:

If trade is run at its smoothest, the law has to be the same and it has to be applied in the same way. It doesn't matter where the court is or who is donning the gowns. But it means signing up, not just to current EU law but to future EU law, and also to ECJ case law.

We're taking control of the fax machine...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:
    Think you and the tweeter need to read section 4.5 of the Great Repeal Bill.

Bad news for the Scottish Nationalists is that they will have even more powers to waste.
    Will it be enshrined in a nice photoshopped vow? Or even better, real vellum!
    I realist that the cult of Nicla will be a bit scared of being forced to use powers for subjects other than calling for referendums but it's in the bill - wonder if the SNP will vote for or against more powers ??
    If we only we knew what those magnificent, new superpowers are. Perhaps you could give us some hints?

Anyway, what do you care, you're a migrant. What's the Great Repeal Bill doing for YOUR region?
    Agriculture and fisheries for a start.

We are getting a new Mayor - lets hope he/she doesn't spend the next 4 years blaming Westminster and gets on with things.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

FF43 said:

If trade is run at its smoothest, the law has to be the same and it has to be applied in the same way. It doesn't matter where the court is or who is donning the gowns. But it means signing up, not just to current EU law but to future EU law, and also to ECJ case law.

We're taking control of the fax machine...
    I don't think Canada view it that way.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

I don't understand this "TMay" thing.

Is it supposed to be insulting? I've never seen it used elsewhere.

No. It is because our Prime Minister's name is also a month and a modal verb.

So it is stop potential confusion of something like 'May may call a May election'
    Thanks for this and also thanks to everyone else who replied.

I shall use Mrs May in any situation where confusion might arise.

Cheers.
    That's the style of usage I prefer myself, but even that gets confusing. Distinguishing between Mr Miliband and, er, Mr Miliband. Mr Edward Miliband sounds a bit long-winded.

And of course, Mr Johnson might be several people but everyone knows who you mean if you just say "Boris", even if it isn't equally polite.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

So it is stop potential confusion of something like 'May may call a May election'

Cheers.
    That's the style of usage I prefer myself, but even that gets confusing. Distinguishing between Mr Miliband and, er, Mr Miliband. Mr Edward Miliband sounds a bit long-winded.

And of course, Mr Johnson might be several people but everyone knows who you mean if you just say "Boris", even if it isn't equally polite.
    You mean EIC, of EICIPM fame? :)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

This is another good point actually - Labour would be fools to support a motion, they can simply say "if you have no confitdence in your own government, feel free to vote it down, we will of course also be doing that, but we won't support this motion". Tories voting down their own government either comes across as a lack of confidence or as a engineering an election for political gains / playing politics - neither will go down well in the country at large.

As I've pointed out before when we've discussed this, the Tories wouldn't need to vote against themselves. They could simply abstain, and justify the abstention with some flim-flam about 'it's time to let voters decide'.
    If both government and all opposition parties abstained (the latter to avoid enabling such a machination), the motion could be carried on the single helpful vote of Douglas Carswell.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    AnneJGP said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Cheers.

Boris is the exception that proves the rule :

Fox, Davis, Boris :D
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    First, they came for the plastic bags,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39436400
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Semantics - there are words like "Prime Minister" or "PM" which would apply. The Mail often uses the word "Premier" which betrays the Latin notion of "primus inter pares" but will suffice.

Why have I just wasted my time on this ?

A thought on leaving/joining parties - I've been in the same Party, albeit under different names, for nearly 40 years. I've invested as much personal, financial and emotional capital as anyone supporting a middling League Two team but that isn't the point.

I still think a Lib Dem majority Government would be the best thing for this country but I'm quite well aware 92% or so disagree. Doesn't make them right and me wrong.

To switch to another party would be a total repudiation of that investment and that belief and I can't do that and I'm surprised so many can though a lot of defections in local Government seem based on personality clashes within factions or de-selections.

I could imagine myself leaving the Party and joining the vast majority of the non-aligned and being able to think for myself (though I'm sure I do that now) and have flirted with the idea two or three times (had Clegg formed a Coalition with Brown's Labour Party in 2010 I'm pretty sure I'd have quit) but it would still be a big wrench.

Sometimes it makes sense to move on and bow may be the time for some on the left. As Reagan I believe once put it: I didn't leave the Democrats, the Democrats left me.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    JonathanD said:

What business has moved here because of Brexit?

Haven't heard of any but there will probably be a fair few when the Brexit negotiations are done and people have a better idea which regulations they'll be able to arbitrage.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

This is another good point actually - Labour would be fools to support a motion, they can simply say "if you have no confitdence in your own government, feel free to vote it down, we will of course also be doing that, but we won't support this motion". Tories voting down their own government either comes across as a lack of confidence or as a engineering an election for political gains / playing politics - neither will go down well in the country at large.

As I've pointed out before when we've discussed this, the Tories wouldn't need to vote against themselves. They could simply abstain, and justify the abstention with some flim-flam about 'it's time to let voters decide'.
    If both government and all opposition parties abstained (the latter to avoid enabling such a machination), the motion could be carried on the single helpful vote of Douglas Carswell.
    Yes, that would be rather good.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    stodge said:

Semantics - there are words like "Prime Minister" or "PM" which would apply. The Mail often uses the word "Premier" which betrays the Latin notion of "primus inter pares" but will suffice.

A thought on leaving/joining parties - I've been in the same Party, albeit under different names, for nearly 40 years. I've invested as much personal, financial and emotional capital as anyone supporting a middling League Two team but that isn't the point.

I still think a Lib Dem majority Government would be the best thing for this country but I'm quite well aware 92% or so disagree. Doesn't make them right and me wrong.

To switch to another party would be a total repudiation of that investment and that belief and I can't do that and I'm surprised so many can though a lot of defections in local Government seem based on personality clashes within factions or de-selections.

I could imagine myself leaving the Party and joining the vast majority of the non-aligned and being able to think for myself (though I'm sure I do that now) and have flirted with the idea two or three times (had Clegg formed a Coalition with Brown's Labour Party in 2010 I'm pretty sure I'd have quit) but it would still be a big wrench.

It's understandable as a reaction, though frustrating when there are people who clearly no longer fit with the party they feel that connection to (and may never again), and are not able to acknowledge that. As you say many local defections seem to be less on ideological grounds. But at more senior levels, as fluid as the parties can be ideologically, and as big a tribes as they can try to be, some clearly don't match the label, and a realignment of our parties would be a good thing, though unlikely.
  • Options

This is another good point actually - Labour would be fools to support a motion, they can simply say "if you have no confidence in your own government, feel free to vote it down, we will of course also be doing that, but we won't support this motion". Tories voting down their own government either comes across as a lack of confidence or as a engineering an election for political gains / playing politics - neither will go down well in the country at large.

That does not get away with the playing partisan games and engineering an election solely for their own benefit argument. It would be hard to have an early one and make the justification credible before, now it is even more difficult.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

It's understandable as a reaction, though frustrating when there are people who clearly no longer fit with the party they feel that connection to (and may never again), and are not able to acknowledge that. As you say many local defections seem to be less on ideological grounds. But at more senior levels, as fluid as the parties can be ideologically, and as big a tribes as they can try to be, some clearly don't match the label, and a realignment of our parties would be a good thing, though unlikely.
    I feel we may be moving into discuss PR territory :)
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Cheers.
    Could also be referred to as PM May or Prime Minister May or the PM.
    Big on titles in the US of course. Prime Minister Blair for example. Didn't Mitt call Ed M 'Mr Leader' or some such?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kle4 said:

That does not get away with the playing partisan games and engineering an election solely for their own benefit argument. It would be hard to have an early one and make the justification credible before, now it is even more difficult.

That's certainly true, but it does mean that the mechanism is there and could be used, albeit with some risk.
  • Options
    P-M-A

sorted.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    chestnut said:

First, they came for the plastic bags,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39436400

If I'm going to have to take a cup with me, I might as well fill it with coffee before leaving home.
  • Options

P-M-A

sorted.

Prime Minister Theresa?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    stodge said:

It seems to me that Premier seems to be used to describe foreign leaders, but quite rare for our own PM. "The Chinese Premier said XYZ" you see often, but not "Premier May said ABC"
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    OT

How to explain a "contrived vote of no confidence" within the next two years?

Answer: For Theresa May to herself make a statement that she has no confidence that her government could definitely win a vote on the final Brexit deal, and that rather than jeopardise the UK's negotiating position she will resign and move a vote of no confidence in order to secure an increased majority.

At worse that's a minor embarrassment, no worse than all the other embarrassments that this government has suffered (e.g. u-turns on flagship proposals in successive Budgets) from which the Conservatives' polling has emerged unscathed. Nothing in that process should cause the Conservatives any fear.

Furthermore, it would be necessary to seek a contrived vote of no confidence only after Labour had failed to back a prior motion seeking an early election, which in itself would be just as embarrassing for an opposition that has hitherto called for an early election and is pretending that it is in a position to contend for power. And if Corbyn did become PM for a few days in the 14 day period of grace, before failing his own vote of confidence, the reminder to the electorate that that state could become permanent after a general election would not I suggest enhance Labour's chances given his lamentable personal polling.

So I agree that we may well not have an early election, but it'll be because the PM doesn't wish to force one, not because she doesn't have the means to.
  • Options

stodge said:

It seems to me that Premier seems to be used to describe foreign leaders, but quite rare for our own PM. "The Chinese Premier said XYZ" you see often, but not "Premier May said ABC"
    That's my impression too, except for China they do have a Premier, different from their President.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Bad news for the Scottish Nationalists is that they will have even more powers to waste.
    I realist that the cult of Nicla will be a bit scared of being forced to use powers for subjects other than calling for referendums but it's in the bill - wonder if the SNP will vote for or against more powers ??
    If we only we knew what those magnificent, new superpowers are. Perhaps you could give us some hints?

Anyway, what do you care, you're a migrant. What's the Great Repeal Bill doing for YOUR region?

We are getting a new Mayor - lets hope he/she doesn't spend the next 4 years blaming Westminster and gets on with things.
    You mean a power that's already devolved? Such munificence!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,471
    edited March 2017
    I'm a traditionalist, our head of Government should be called the First Lord of The Treasury, that's what it says on the door of Number 10 Downing Street.
  • Options
    stodge said:

If & when your political party moves away from your beliefs, you have little choice but to continue your investment through other means - or to stop investing.

If your local health food shop becomes a butcher's shop, you don't have to stop being a veggie just because you've always supported local businesses.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

I think they mean the powers Brussels currently have over such matters.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    SeanT said:

Is it any coincidence that the first day after Brexit Day is absolutely gorgeous?

May 1st and 2nd 1997 were similarly gorgeous - do you remember them with affection ?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Are you piling on the Tories ?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Yes, that would be rather good.
    I think a couple of MPs (SNP, Danchuk) sit as independents at the moment, no?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    From Guardian liveblog - "Davis says MPs will probably get a separate vote on leaving the EEA

Labour’s Kevin Brennan asks if there will be a separate vote on leaving the EEA (the European Economic Area).

Davis says there will be votes on many things as part of the process, and that he thinks that is quite probable.

Davis says MPs will probably get a separate vote on leaving the EEA.
    This is significant because this could become a flashpoint for those MPs who accept the need to leave the EU but who want the government to adopt “the Norway option”, EEA membership."

This must be a mistake no? A50 letter confirms intentions to leave single market, and as we all know, EEA is incompatible with government negotiation strategy, so they can't possibly risk being forced to stay in single market?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Is it any coincidence that the first day after Brexit Day is absolutely gorgeous?

London-centric post!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Careful with reading the runes. It was raining this morning here.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

I'm a traditionalist, our head of Government should be called the First Lord of The Treasury, that's what it says on the door of Number 10 Downing Street.

It does. I remember checking that we had No 10 in the Census Address Register and I was surprised to see that the full address was "Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury, 10 Downing Street".
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    RobD said:

Anything else?

'List of reserved matters
    Reserved matters are subdivided into two categories: General reservations and specific reservations.
    General reservations cover major issues which are always handled centrally by the Parliament in Westminster:[5]

the constitution, including:
    the Crown
    the Union with England, Northern Ireland and Wales
    the UK Parliament
    the existence of the (criminal) High Court of Justiciary
    the existence of the (civil) Court of Session

registration and funding of political parties
    international relations, including:
    international development
    the regulation of international trade

the Home Civil Service
    defence
    treason

Specific reservations cover particular areas of social and economic policy which are reserved to Westminster, listed under 11 'heads':[6]

Head A - Financial and Economic Matters
    fiscal, economic and monetary policy
    currency
    financial services
    financial markets
    money laundering

Head B - Home Affairs
    drug abuse
    data protection and access to information
    elections
    firearms
    film classification
    immigration and nationality
    scientific procedures on live animals
    national security and counter-terrorism
    betting, gaming and lotteries
    emergency powers
    extradition
    lieutenancies

Head C – Trade and Industry
    business associations
    insolvency
    competition
    intellectual property
    import and export control
    sea fishing outside the Scottish zone
    customer protection
    product standards, safety and liability
    weights and measures
    telecommunications
    postal services
    research councils

Head D – Energy
    electricity
    oil and gas
    coal
    nuclear energy
    energy efficiency

Head E - Transport
    marine transport
    air transport

Head F – Social Security
    social security schemes
    child support
    pensions

Head G – Regulation of the Professions
    architect
    health professions
    auditor

Head H – Employment
    employment and industrial relations
    health and safety

Head J – Health and Medicines
    abortion
    xenotransplantation
    embryology, surrogacy and human genetics
    medicines, medical supplies and poisons
    welfare foods

Head K – Media and Culture
    broadcasting
    public lending right

Head L – Miscellaneous
    judicial salaries
    equal opportunities
    control of weapons of mass destruction
    Ordnance Survey
    time
    outer space'
  • Options
    stodge said:

SeanT said:

May 1st and 2nd 1997 were similarly gorgeous - do you remember them with affection ?

I do. Full of hope & promise. Nowhere near fulfilled, but the hope & promise were lovely to experience even if they did open the door to cynicism.
  • Options
    stodge said:

SeanT said:

I remember Prezza making a comment about the weather being better under Labour when he strolled out of No10 that day.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    I'd love to understand the psychology behind Ken Livingstone's obsession with Hitler.

Does he admire him? Does he think he's misunderstood?

What is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    TUD - you were stating it was a power already devolved. How can it be devolved if it is a power that the EU currently has?
  • Options

I'd love to understand the psychology behind Ken Livingstone's obsession with Hitler.

What is it?

His success in obtaining lots of power?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

What is it?

I also wonder how long he has held these views. It slipped out last year, since when he hasn't managed an interview without going Hitler mental, but I feel this is something he has believed in for a long time.
  • Options

What is it?

Well Hitler was a socialist.
  • Options
    Journalists must love him for interviews

"Well that wraps up the main interview, but any thoughts on the third Reich, Ken ?"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is the kind of metropolitan London dominated commentary that brought about Brexit. Here in Shropshire it is grey and earlier it rained.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited March 2017

From Guardian liveblog - "Davis says MPs will probably get a separate vote on leaving the EEA

Labour’s Kevin Brennan asks if there will be a separate vote on leaving the EEA (the European Economic Area).

Davis says there will be votes on many things as part of the process, and that he thinks that is quite probable.

This is significant because this could become a flashpoint for those MPs who accept the need to leave the EU but who want the government to adopt “the Norway option”, EEA membership."

This must be a mistake no? A50 letter confirms intentions to leave single market, and as we all know, EEA is incompatible with government negotiation strategy, so they can't possibly risk being forced to stay in single market?

Not levelling this at you specifically dear old thing, but people do seem to find it hard to accept that Single Market membership isn't in the UK's gift. The EU27 have made this very clear. Wanting SMM is akin to asking for the moon on a stick.

SMM means the four freedoms in full, and ECJ jurisdiction. We would be in violation of section III of the EEA agreement at the very least.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cheap booze and fags for all during travel - huzzah for Brexit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/30/return-booze-cruise-ferry-chiefs-plan-slash-wine-beer-prices/

"Brexit will see the return of the "booze cruise" as ferry-passengers will enjoy duty free wine and cigarettes for first time in nearly 20 years.

The British Chamber of Shipping, which represents cross-Channel ferry operators, said that duty free will be "automatically" introduced on cross-channel ferries after Britain leaves the customs union"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

What is it?

I think it actually stems from an obsession with Israel and Jews, not necessarily anti-Semitism as such, but a definite and peculiar fascination, which can often be found in highly political people. So the Hitler thing is a product of that.
    I could never work out what Rod Crosby's thing on the Holocaust was....when it came to polling he wouldn't deviate from his beliefs in using data, modelling, stats....but the Holocaust he lost any sort of rationality.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

RobD said:

Mrs May knows how the spineless entity known as The Labour Party works. If she forced a no-confidence motion then Corbyn would accept the PMship and the supine Labourites would fall in behind him awaiting his patronage.

Would he even be offered it? He can't command the confidence of his own party, let alone the commons.
    He would have to be, if only for forms sake. He "leads" the next biggest grouping and in theory could form a minority govt
    Just to mention again,

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/03/11/next-prime-minister-gus-odonnell-at-2501/
  • Options
    John_M said:

Not levelling this at you specifically dear old thing, but people do seem to find it hard to accept that Single Market membership isn't in the UK's gift. The EU27 have made this very clear. Wanting SMM is akin to asking for the moon on a stick.

SMM means the four freedoms in full, and ECJ jurisdiction. We would be in violation of section III of the EEA agreement at the very least.

Parliament can still overrule May on keeping the four freedoms when it comes down to it.
  • Options

What is it?

I also wonder how long he has held these views. It slipped out last year, since when he hasn't managed an interview without going Hitler mental, but I feel this is something he has believed in for a long time.
    Didn't he compare a journo to a SS prison camp guard a few years ago?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited March 2017
    What is all this palaver? It is super easy and convenient to write EMilliband, TMay, (ok also Boris, DD), TFarron, NFarage.

It strikes just the right note of reverence, irreverence, familiarity, and formality.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    SeanT said:

Actually, I suspect that the weather is far better on the continent :D
  • Options

What is it?

Didn't he compare a journo to a SS prison camp guard a few years ago?

A Jewish journo!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    TGOHF said:

Cheap booze and fags for all during travel - huzzah for Brexit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/30/return-booze-cruise-ferry-chiefs-plan-slash-wine-beer-prices/

"Brexit will see the return of the "booze cruise" as ferry-passengers will enjoy duty free wine and cigarettes for first time in nearly 20 years.

The British Chamber of Shipping, which represents cross-Channel ferry operators, said that duty free will be "automatically" introduced on cross-channel ferries after Britain leaves the customs union"

In my student days we used to call it "Channel Gin" because you bought it on the boat to France....

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680

John_M said:

Parliament can still overrule May on keeping the four freedoms when it comes down to it.

John_M said:

Clutch a passing straw and hold it to your bosom....
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

What is it?

Perhaps Hitler has reincarnated as one of Ken's newts and now has Ken in thrall :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

What is it?

Anti semitism is a common symptom of schizophrenia (more so than hostility to other racial groups).
  • Options

John_M said:

If they vote down a deal because it doesn't have the four freedoms then we our going to be out without a deal... without the four freedoms!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

"Well that wraps up the main interview, but any thoughts on the third Reich, Ken ?"

"Well, say what you like about Hitler, but what a painter! He could do your sitting room in an afternoon, two coats!"
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

It can. It won't, or rather, I'd be interested in a credible scenario where the Conservatives decided to commit electoral suicide by essentially overriding the EUref result.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

Or Beluga.

Bit late for truffle season.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Actually, I suspect that the weather is far better on the continent :D
    Nothing beats a beautiful English Spring day. Literally, nothing.
    I would counter with a crisp, sunny, autumn day with the leaves just turning.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

Anti semitism is a common symptom of schizophrenia (more so than hostility to other racial groups).
    Apparently, there is an anti-Semitic movement in Japan, of all places. it's quite small, but nevertheless surprising for a country with virtually no experience of Jewish people before the late twentieth century.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

"Well, say what you like about Hitler, but what a painter! He could do your sitting room in an afternoon, two coats!"
    I was in Ljubljana a few years ago when I saw a banner that said
    'Say what you like about Socialism, at least there are plenty of holidays'

• Options
    SeanT said:

What is it?

I think it actually stems from an obsession with Israel and Jews, not necessarily anti-Semitism as such, but a definite and peculiar fascination, which can often be found in highly political people. So the Hitler thing is a product of that.
    Which begs another question.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: BBC article on Red Bull perhaps being in the mix for the title:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39445434

Worth remembering that whilst Red Bull are bringing improvements, Mercedes and Ferrari aren't to be sat around doing nothing.

If you believe Red Bull can be in the mix, I'd probably suggest waiting until after China. Long straights have not, historically, been their friend, and if they're clearly behind Mercedes and Ferrari again, their odds should lengthen.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

SeanT said:

This is the kind of metropolitan London dominated commentary that brought about Brexit. Here in Shropshire it is grey and earlier it rained.
    It's a beautiful day here in Cambridge - perhaps the best day of the year so far.

Although connecting it to Brexit is a causation too far ... ;)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

Apparently, there is an anti-Semitic movement in Japan, of all places. it's quite small, but nevertheless surprising for a country with virtually no experience of Jewish people before the late twentieth century.
    There's a theory that anti-Semitism is literally genetic. Innate. A mad theory, but a theory nonetheless.
    Interesting. But why Jews, rather than, say, Hottentots or Cherokees?
  • Options
    Mr. T, I'd suspect the schizophrenia link is more that there are many Jewish conspiracy theories about them secretly running the world. If the Templars are still about, there'd probably be much the same.

Mr. F, Hitler was a master painter. His sitting room paintings will last for a thousand years.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

I don't get the whole anti-Semitism thing.

I can kind of get the irritation some might feel from some Jewish people describing themselves as "God's chosen people", or "The Tribe", and perhaps some sort of arrogance that results from that to those who are not which, combined with business and financial success, creates envy and suspicion. Particularly in a close knit community that doesn't associate with outsiders. But, there are many other such groups and I find it hard to understand how some leap from that to outright hatred when it comes to Jews and Judaism.

Even weirder is the whole free masons/Bilderberg thing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'm sitting in my local, the York & Albany (a Gordon Ramsay gastropub, darling) doing some work on my new thriller, as I stare out at the sunlit blossom outside Peter Mandelson's old house, in the Regency Terraces of Regent's Park, on beautiful Primrose Hill borders.

I quite literally just googled Selfridges to see what time the Food Hall shuts, as I have run out of caviar. I hope that helps.

You can keep your fancy London ways. I shall permit myself a pint of Hobson's Town Crier later.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

It makes sense to me. The EEA is governed by a separate set of treaties, with a separate leaving process. The A50 court ruling was that Parliament had to explicitly approve a treaty withdrawl process that will eliminate rights enjoyed by citizens. Withdrawing from the EEA would do so, ergo Parliament must approve such.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'm sitting in my local, the York & Albany (a Gordon Ramsay gastropub, darling) doing some work on my new thriller, as I stare out at the sunlit blossom outside Peter Mandelson's old house, in the Regency Terraces of Regent's Park, on beautiful Primrose Hill borders.

I quite literally just googled Selfridges to see what time the Food Hall shuts, as I have run out of caviar. I hope that helps.

Fortnum & Mason also open until 9, my friend. I find their Beluga superior but chacun a son gout as they say ?

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

But Parliament can overrule Theresa May and vote to stay in the EEA. Theresa May is not God.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

"Let me tell you this! And you're hearing this straight from the horse. Hitler was better looking than Churchill. He was a better dresser than Churchill. He had more hair! He told funnier jokes! And he could dance the pants off of Churchill!"
  • Options
    surbiton said:

But Parliament can overrule Theresa May and vote to stay in the EEA. Theresa May is not God.
    Can it? Wouldn't we be in violation of the EEA treaties since we wouldn't accept the four freedoms?
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

There's a theory that anti-Semitism is literally genetic. Innate. A mad theory, but a theory nonetheless.
    It's not completely implausible. A lot more of our personality is to do with genetics and brain chemistry than the commonly accepted Enlightenment view of the rational mind allows for.
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

If they vote down a deal because it doesn't have the four freedoms then we our going to be out without a deal... without the four freedoms!
    If I was HMG, I'd be undertaking full contingency planning for us leaving with no deal whatsoever in anything in (now just under) 2 years time. That would include emergency legislation, and mitigation measures, including tax/regulatory changes, and crash trade deals for the 18 months thereafter.

I can see the UK and EU misreading each other all the way down the line, and it actually happening.

Probably a 30-40% chance.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

What is it?

Perhaps Hitler has reincarnated as one of Ken's newts and now has Ken in thrall :)
    As good a theory as any.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247

Mr. T, I'd suspect the schizophrenia link is more that there are many Jewish conspiracy theories about them secretly running the world. If the Templars are still about, there'd probably be much the same.

Mr. F, Hitler was a master painter. His sitting room paintings will last for a thousand years.

I thought we had moved onto alien lizards secretly running the world?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

I was in Ljubljana a few years ago when I saw a banner that said
    'Say what you like about Socialism, at least there are plenty of holidays'

Five year ones, in Siberia.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

May said such powers may stay with Westminster in her conference speech.
  • Options

If I was HMG, I'd be undertaking full contingency planning for us leaving with no deal whatsoever in anything in (now just under) 2 years time. That would include emergency legislation, and mitigation measures, including tax/regulatory changes, and crash trade deals for the 18 months thereafter.

I can see the UK and EU misreading each other all the way down the line, and it actually happening.

Not just Government, all organisations should be making similar plans.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Minister for the Civil Service.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What is it?

It's not hard to see why highly political people would become fascinated by the Jews, as so many modern political movements stem partly or wholly from "Jewish" ideas and thinkers, and so many prominent politicians and political writers are Jewish.

If you're a Marxist, like Ken, you believe in a political and economic system devised by a Jew, Karl Marx, and first enacted in Russia, where Jews were very prominent in the early days (e.g. Trotsky).

Look at Britain's recent party leaders - David Cameron, partly Jewish. Nick Clegg, partly Jewish, Ed Miliband, Jewish.

etc etc
    I didn't think Ken was a fan, and got the impression he rather admired Hitler's "solutions".
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

I can kind of get the irritation some might feel from some Jewish people describing themselves as "God's chosen people", or "The Tribe", and perhaps some sort of arrogance that results from that to those who are not which, combined with business and financial success, creates envy and suspicion. Particularly in a close knit community that doesn't associate with outsiders. But, there are many other such groups and I find it hard to understand how some leap from that to outright hatred when it comes to Jews and Judaism.

I can understand people being prejudiced against Jews, in the way they can be prejudiced against any group.

I don't get the wild conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Or Beluga.

I personally prefer Ossetra, but each to his own
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

I can understand people being prejudiced against Jews, in the way they can be prejudiced against any group.

But, it seems to be an exceptionally common prejudice in many nations though?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Not just Government, all organisations should be making similar plans.

Correct.

I just have a feeling the EU wants to try and force the UK into continuing to pay into the EU budget, plus following a lot of regulations, plus having the ECJ rule on it, without having any votes in the EU political institutions, plus allowing almost unchanged free migration, and stopping any trade deals for three years after, and drastically restricting the scope of those too.

And, I'm just not sure that will wash.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What is it?

It's not hard to see why highly political people would become fascinated by the Jews, as so many modern political movements stem partly or wholly from "Jewish" ideas and thinkers, and so many prominent politicians and political writers are Jewish.

If you're a Marxist, like Ken, you believe in a political and economic system devised by a Jew, Karl Marx, and first enacted in Russia, where Jews were very prominent in the early days (e.g. Trotsky).

Look at Britain's recent party leaders - David Cameron, partly Jewish. Nick Clegg, partly Jewish, Ed Miliband, Jewish.

etc etc
    I didn't think Ken was a fan, and got the impression he rather admired Hitler's "solutions".
    The left fell out of love with Jews and Israel when they became strong.

Poor, downtrodden Jews = people we should be helping to become strong; strong Jews = oppressors of the people.
  • Options

I thought we had moved onto alien lizards secretly running the world?
    Generally speaking, a good way to spot the rantings of a nutter is if they use phrases like Judaeo/masonic Judaeo/banking or masonic/banking.

Along with excessive use of capital letters, allegations about "bent" solicitors and police officers, and claims to have "documentary evidence" which is never revealed.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

May said such powers may stay with Westminster in her conference speech.
    She did?
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I'd guess it's for historical reasons. Jews have usually been a minority wherever they've lived. They also were involved early on in banking, when usury (charging interest) was still banned to Christians. So, Christians ended up requiring the services of Jews, who did something that enriched the Jewish doing something that was 'bad' enough that Christians weren't permitted to do it.

Avarice and sin, all in one (of course, it was hugely economically beneficial to not only the Jews but the cities in which they dwelt...).

Couple that with being a minority, and you've got a rich community, few in number, whose wealth comes from something the majority are forbidden from doing.

Sadly, the Jews have taken such a kicking over the years (Edward I didn't cover himself in glory when he threw them out of England) that it's become ingrained in some cultures to dislike them. When I was at school, a surprising and disturbing moment was when several classmates suddenly started using 'Jew/Jewish' as a pejorative term for the people they were killing on the... N64, I think it was.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What is it?

etc etc

Poor, downtrodden Jews = people we should be helping to become strong; strong Jews = oppressors of the people.
    Probably more they dislike the capitalist ones.

Many of the early emigrants to Israel - as well as voters in the UK - were quite socialist.

That has now changed. The Reagan/Thatcher mutual admiration in the 80s probably didn't help either.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

Interesting. But why Jews, rather than, say, Hottentots or Cherokees?
    Well, brave evolutionary psychologists would argue that we are programmed to fear, resent or reject social and economic competitors, or any racial outgroup that seems to have power over us. Hottentots don't run many large companies or own many media groups, to put it bluntly, nor do they have an average IQ one Standard Deviation above the mean.

There's a great book on the rise of anti-Semitism in Germany (I forget the title, sorry) which is highly enlightening on the extent of Jewish power in pre-Nazi Germany. German Jews really did own and run an incredible array of businesses, newspapers, entire industries. Because they tend to be smart and industrious.

Hitler exploited resentment at this, he didn't create it.
    Hitler's Willing Executioners, although a tedious book, does document the centuries of anti-semitism in Germany that predisposed non-Jewish Germans to think of the generic Jew (as opposed to your urbane banker neighbour jew) as somehow sub-human.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What is it?

etc etc

No. Leftwing anti-Semitism goes back much further than that (if you mean the rise of Israel). Lenin became somewhat anti-Semitic towards the end (after initially being pro-Jewish), Stalin was seriously anti-Semitic.

And Jews = rich capitalists, for many lefties, from the start.

Well before they were rich capitalists they were poor Jews.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, I'd guess it's for historical reasons. Jews have usually been a minority wherever they've lived. They also were involved early on in banking, when usury (charging interest) was still banned to Christians. So, Christians ended up requiring the services of Jews, who did something that enriched the Jewish doing something that was 'bad' enough that Christians weren't permitted to do it.

Avarice and sin, all in one (of course, it was hugely economically beneficial to not only the Jews but the cities in which they dwelt...).

Couple that with being a minority, and you've got a rich community, few in number, whose wealth comes from something the majority are forbidden from doing.

Sadly, the Jews have taken such a kicking over the years (Edward I didn't cover himself in glory when he threw them out of England) that it's become ingrained in some cultures to dislike them. When I was at school, a surprising and disturbing moment was when several classmates suddenly started using 'Jew/Jewish' as a pejorative term for the people they were killing on the... N64, I think it was.

Plus of course the original sin of killing JChrist. When all else fails that is the fallback anti-semitic reason for the West.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What is it?

You should see some of the loonball ideas that the Blue side of Glasgow has about the Catholic hegemony, very similar to classic anti semitism I'd guess.

I had a friend who said his Polish dad (came over in WWII) swore that he could identify Jews by their earlobes. Funny old world.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What is it?

etc etc

No. Leftwing anti-Semitism goes back much further than that (if you mean the rise of Israel). Lenin became somewhat anti-Semitic towards the end (after initially being pro-Jewish), Stalin was seriously anti-Semitic.

And Jews = rich capitalists, for many lefties, from the start.

Lenin was part Jewish wasn't he?
    Edit: not that that would necessarily preclude anti semitism.
  • Options

Correct.

I just have a feeling the EU wants to try and force the UK into continuing to pay into the EU budget, plus following a lot of regulations, plus having the ECJ rule on it, without having any votes in the EU political institutions, plus allowing almost unchanged free migration, and stopping any trade deals for three years after, and drastically restricting the scope of those too.

And, I'm just not sure that will wash.

I don't obviously know but that might well be the EU Commission's opening negotiating position - it makes sense for them particularly from a financial standpoint to have the UK continuing to contribute.

Obviously, that wouldn't be acceptable to us at all and that's the art of negotiation.

One thing the UK will need to have for Day 1 outside the EU is a clear immigration policy or, more precisely, a clear view on the status of EU nationals currently resident and any future migrants into the UK from the EU countries. Genuine refugees are already catered for under existing international treaties, I believe.

As we technically can't even begin to negotiate free trade deals with other countries until we've left the EU, we'll need some transitional arrangements until we agree some FTA arrangements (which with some countries will be quick and with others a lot slower).

The workload is therefore much greater than just the EU and a number of key areas will have to be ready for Day 1 post-EU even if a broader treaty with the EU hasn't been concluded.

This discussion has been closed.